Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I wonder if the Duggars and the Bates swing?

Could you imagine the Duggars, Bates, Jubbs, Kellers, etc. at a swinger type "sweet fellowship" party?

I'm heading to the prayer closet.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 2

Before they moved to Africa on a mission Anna Duggar's sister was living with multiple kids in a RV so that's probably a sad reality.

Actually they were living in a pop-up tent trailer that they towed.

• Love 2

It looks like UPtv is uploading all the Bates's episodes and promos so you may subscribe to their You Tube channel for all the updates. The first episode is up: "Bringing Up Bates | Season 1 Episode 1 | Meet the Bates"

I didn't check if they're on UPtvs site too.

Actually they were living in a pop-up tent trailer that they towed.

That's right! I remember now, even worse if possible...
  • Love 1

I can remember some of these families coming to our church back when I was growing up. My mother would try and feed them up, and the children were other-worldly well behaved until their parents weren't in the room and then they were the type who would break your best toys. But you knew if you told, they would be beaten, so you didn't. You just put your good toys away when people like that came over.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 7

I can remember some of these families coming to our church back when I was growing up. My mother would try and feed them up, and the children were other-worldly well behaved until their parents weren't in the room and then they were the type who would break your best toys. But you knew if you told, they would be beaten, so you didn't. You just put your good toys away when people like that came over.

Wow, this is just so incredibly sad.  It's child abuse in every form - physically, mentally, emotionally. And yet the itinerant lifestyle makes it nearly possible for them to be called on it. 

• Love 3

I'm sure the RV family would love to make an appearance on the show. Maybe they could perform at the Church of the Duggars.

There is only room for one family in the famewhore church of the Duggars. No others are welcome.....can't share any screen time with wannabes.

• Love 1

I guess I don't know the ins and outs of the free jinger site because I don't see a lot of continuity there.  Also my computer loads and plays video jerkily which is fine since I hate singing kids anyway.  These people are too stupid to be believed.  I thought I had some dumb family members, which I do, but at least they don't advertise themselves.

• Love 1

My husband asked the same question about the show where people live in the little houses where it's one big room with a tiny loft.

I wondered the same thing- and on one ep they kept emphasizing that the boyfriend was 6'4"!

• Love 1

I am happy for Erin and her husband too. I hope all goes well for them and this baby. Having said that, I'm sorry to report that once again, Erin began to sound like a smurfette and speak with HER little baby girl voice. I know she was happy about the news, but come on girl, grow up, you're going to be a mother soon. Did anyone else notice that? I also hope that her doctor, who I hope is a real one, not a fundamentalist Christian one, will advice her with medical consideration as to the number of intentional pregnancies to follow. Obviously, it is difficult for her body to go through. I also, hope with all my heart that neither of their families give them a guilt trip for not having "as many as God allows". This, is a concern for her that I have.

• Love 3

As many as God allows - maybe he only allows 2 or 3?  It reminds me of the old joke about an all you can eat restaurant.  The patron asks for seconds and the waitperson refuses and says "that's all you can eat".  But, then again, I'm not sure these folks would accept that - and it is sad that they are into the child bearing competition thinking it makes them better people than everyone else, disregarding that resources will be stretched thin and again thinking God will provide.  Would be better if they let in the good sense that God provides.  But, there you go.

• Love 1

Their doctor is a real, licensed doctor.  He is also a Christian.  I don't know how conservative or even fundamentalist he is.  However, being a fundamentalist Christian doesn't make one opposed to birth control.  That's more Gothard and Quiverful.

• Love 1

I'm happy for Erin & Chad too. I'm hoping that having to do the daily Heparin shots along with whatever else, will open their eyes to the possibility of only having 1 or 2 children. I'm sure God will be fine with that.

• Love 1

Absolom, thank you for making that clarification for me as I didn't intend for my post to sound like I think a physician who is of a Christian faith, is automatically like those Gothard believing groups. Michelle received misleading info years ago from her physician when she lost her second pregnancy and I wouldn't want Erin to receive incorrect medical advice either. I think she went to a Gothard/fundamentalist type doc.

• Love 2

Heparin is a dangerous drug.  I can't imagine being on it continually so you can pump out a dozen kids.  I really think 2 or 3 would be a better decision for the health of the mother.  And in between children, birth control would make a lot of sense.  So what is Erin going to do between heparin-aided pregnancies?  Have miscarriages or practice some form of birth control?

• Love 1

I would like to hear Kelly Jo or Erin state that if for obvious medical reasons, Erin and Chad need to limit the amount of biological children she has, that it would be ok with them; and that they can adopt some...I understand they need to concentrate on this one and give it their best care.

• Love 1

Heparin is a dangerous drug.  I can't imagine being on it continually so you can pump out a dozen kids.  I really think 2 or 3 would be a better decision for the health of the mother.  And in between children, birth control would make a lot of sense.  So what is Erin going to do between heparin-aided pregnancies?  Have miscarriages or practice some form of birth control?

Honestly I can see Erin doing whatever it takes to pump out a dozen kids. These girls have been trained since birth to believe lots of children equals more favor from God. I don't mean to sound callous, but many young women miscarry several times before they maintain a viable pregnancy. It sucks and it's hurtful, but it happens and you move on. However Erin seemed like she was on the verge of nervous breakdown territory because she wasn't pregnant as quickly as she expected herself to be. I just found her sense of urgency a little disconcerting, especially considering how young she is. 

• Love 3

I mentioned in the JillyDilly thread, that I think that the Bateses having their own show is making the Duggars look worse than we thought. Despite having the same belief system, the Bates kids are allowed to show individual personality, buy more trendy clothing (such a departure from the matching LHOTP dresses they wore when the audience first "met" them), and have slightly less restrictions on their love lives than the Duggars. And they seem happier for it.

Pregnancy in context. I'm happy for Erin and Chad, mainly because of the heartbreak that they have experienced, and they seem to want a baby so badly. Now, the REST of the Bates/Duggar crew, I tend to groan when I hear a pregnancy announcement (Anna's latest "blessing" announcement produced a groan and a massive eye roll). Context.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

And her rather daring red dress in Church was something else. Good for her.

I do wonder, although Gil Bates is a Director within the Gothard empire, they don't seem to ship off their kids to those indoctrination camps much, do they? At least you never see or read about it........whilst the Duggars were forever shipping their kids off to one

• Love 2

As I've commented before, I only wish the tank tops MATCHED the outfit. It would have looked much better, IMO, if Alyssa had a red tank top on. It's not so bad from the front but the black sticking out above the strap near the armpits looks bad. It's a shame that part of the tank top couldn't be flush with the cut of the dress.

That's just my opinion though & I hate wearing sleeveless tops if my tank top shows on the sides. I tend to wear v neck tshirts more for this reason.

• Love 1

My unfavorite fundies, The Rodrigues, are now expecting their 12 or 11th child while still living in a small RV. Mama Jill is now on bed rest,. I really feel for the oldest kids.

Not again!  I had to stop reading about them because Daddy R was such an ugly ass and Mama R was such a fundy social climbing narcissist.  I swear, that woman is so enamored with getting her picture taken she'd probably jump in front of a bus if someone replaced the headlights with cameras.  Then Daddy R would stand awkwardly around trying to figure out a way to make a chick tract out of the event.

• Love 3

On the subject of clothes, sorry TLC is all over the place with what series they show here, but I've just watched the episode where Michelle and the older girls went camping with the Bates older girls.

All the girls went swimming in the lake, some had a black skirt thing over leggings and ordinary t shirts, but I swear a couple of the girls went swimming in denim skirts!! Meant to rewind and watch again but mistakenly deleted it instead.

Denim skirts? Really? Too, too bizarre.

• Love 1

And why were they so covered up if it was just a bunch of girls hanging out? Oh I remember now it's because MEchelle has a distorted memory of her causing a divorce because she dressed like a teenage hooker.

I think it's because there was a film crew there and an eventual male audience.

• Love 2

I hope those modesty swim dresses are at least made of fabric that is made to swim in like real bathing suits. I can't believe that anyone would swim in denim..that weight a person down in the water. It absolutely is NOT made to get wet...Also, that lake is sweet water, not salt water which doesn't support buoyancy  very well. Everyone knows you sink in sweet water easier than salt water. It's just not safe and it shows little common sense..

• Love 1

I just took a look at the Rodrigues' FB page and there's several pictures of them with the Bates kids.

I find it weird they can afford braces for their children, yet all of their kids look emaciated and malnourished.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

I think Medicaid pays for braces for children and this family gets everything they can for free....

With their money, I can't imagine the Duggars qualifying for any government help - even with the number of children they have.  I believe they might try - although it seems like that would actually go against basic fundie principles - but I simply can't imagine they'd get dime one.

• Love 1

The swim dresses that the Duggars wear are made of bathing suit material. I (don't judge me) did actually look them up once to see if they had kind of a gateway between what I could find in regular stores, and what the super fundies wear (they did not), and they are definitely made of regular swimsuit material. I couldn't say if that's what all the families use, those swim dresses aren't cheap. Also, I can understand why they would want to wear them on TV. I consider myself to be a moderately modest sort, perhaps, and I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a bathing suit, even mine which has wide straps on the top and a skirt on the bottom, on national TV. To the beach, sure, in front of church people, sure, but not on national TV. And we really can't say for sure what all these people do when we're not watching.

Regarding Medicaid which does cover braces - I'm sure that most of the fundie families who are self-"employed" use Medicaid like the aforementioned Rodrigues family, and I don't know if the Duggars did before TV (they probably did), but I'm sure they don't qualify now. The cut-offs can be fairly generous especially as a family grows larger, but not *that* generous.

• Love 1

You evil people made me look up their FB page. Oh my seems like in a low key way Jill is looking for handouts. Is that just me thinking it? She is on her 12th child. I can't believe they don't have their own tv show YET! Jesus we need more of Jill in our lives with her blonde flowing hair and in one picture she had a mesh top with a cammy underneath. One of their fans said it was soooooo klassy. Umm I thought it looked hookersih but I have a black heart and all I could think about is that she should drop her husband and become one of the Gypsy Sisters! 

https://www.facebook.com/rodriguesfamilylovesjesus?fref=ts

• Love 1

There is a picture of Jill and an older daughter Nuri with Carlin Bates. Carlin has the biggest WTF face on, it's hilarious.

I'm not one to usually pass judgement on people's looks but the Rodriguez family is UGLY.

• Love 1

I'm not one to usually pass judgement on people's looks but the Rodriguez family is UGLY.

The kids have very "old" looking faces: thin and drawn with deep hollows under their eyes. If they ate a decent meal once in a while, they would probably fill out and look more normal, and I don't mean this to skinny-shame anyone. It's just that those children do not look healthy at all.

• Love 4

David looks like he wants to RUN for the hills in most pictures. Poor kids some of them have really horrible teeth. Jill seems to like to have them as show ponies from all the pictures that she posts. Another thing with all those kids who has time to home school?????? Ugh and are they back living in a real house or those are just Christmas pictures taken somewhere?

The kids have very "old" looking faces: thin and drawn with deep hollows under their eyes. If they ate a decent meal once in a while, they would probably fill out and look more normal, and I don't mean this to skinny-shame anyone. It's just that those children do not look healthy at all.

I doubt they have any money to buy groceries if neither parent has a real job!? Selling crap they write and touring around can't have them making much can it? IDK why these people keep making babies when they can't feed the ones they have.

• Love 1

I thought funnies were not supposed to believe in taking government handouts?

Jill is a hairdresser. I'm thinking she is cutting hair in the back of the church for some $$$$$. Wonder if people in the churches they visit just feed their kids because seriously how could you let them go without food.

• Love 1

There is a picture of Jill and an older daughter Nuri with Carlin Bates. Carlin has the biggest WTF face on, it's hilarious.

Carlin looks absolutely terrified, and I would be too. I really would love to know the exact words she was thinking in that moment.

This is the family that travels in the bus, yeah? The kids look....very unhealthy. Wow. They also look just very tired. (Also, is Hannah adopted?? why is Jill calling her her "Portuguese Princess" if not?)

• Love 1

Carlin looks absolutely terrified, and I would be too. I really would love to know the exact words she was thinking in that moment.

This is the family that travels in the bus, yeah? The kids look....very unhealthy. Wow. They also look just very tired. (Also, is Hannah adopted?? why is Jill calling her her "Portuguese Princess" if not?)

With the last name Rodrigues - I'm assuming they're of Portuguese descent.

Am I the only one who thinks that the husband looks like the Deliverance version of Xander from Buffy?

Edited by lampshades
  • Love 2