Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Please forgive me for getting defensive for folks with a diagnosed mental health issue, but it's my passion and career. Folks with mental illnesses are no more likely to abuse children than the average parent. There are a lot of rotten people out there that no one understands and it feels more comfortable to put them on 'the other' category to make sense of it all. Mental health carries so much stigma. Some would be surprised how many 'normal' well adjusted friends and acquaintances struggle with mental health.

Religious zealot, authoritarian parent, mean asshole, etc. do not, in and of themselves meet the criteria of a mental health diagnosis.

Sorry, had to.

This is not aimed at any post at all - the labeling of mentally ill comes up often enough to compel me to jump on my soapbox every so often. Slinking off it now. 

GeeGolly,  I appreciate your post,  and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. I like to think I'm sensitive with regard to mental illness,  but I know I could do a lot better.  Your words were very helpful.  

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Portia said:

0GeeGolly,  I appreciate your post,  and I'm guessing I'm not the only one. I like to think I'm sensitive with regard to mental illness,  but I know I could do a lot better.  Your words were very helpful.  

They gave me food for thought as well. Even though you were diplomatic enough not to name names I recognized faults in my thinking, or at least in my wording. Sometimes I lack subtlety and lump a lot of things together which don't necessarily belong that way.

Mental illness does, indeed, cover an incredible amount of territory, and many (probably the vast majority) of people diagnosed with one thing or another are simply trying their best to live as best they can despite difficulties fitting in and functioning in as "normal" a way as they can. 

I've mentioned before that I suspect I have a few toes into the autism spectrum, maybe due to being very premature in the days (going on 60 years ago) when preemies survived less often and personality quirks were just seen as just that, and not something deserving of diagnoses and therapy. I have to admit to being torn on that subject myself as on the one hand I'm sure that I would have qualified for at least some measure of special aid in this day and age, but on the other, I've managed to get by and even to land in a situation which has enabled me to live a very comfortable life without having to overreach my comfort zone. Which, in retrospect, may have left me with little more true life experience than some of the Duggars have...We don't all have the sort of drive which pushes us to strive for more when our lives seem good, though. There may have been things I'd have changed had I received a glimpse of my life 30 years on back when I was in my 20's (and 30's, even),  but having taken it all step by step as it was happening, I made the decisions that seemed best at the time.

Anyway...that was way too much of a digression, and forgive me for it.

Point being that I understand that most people with mental illnesses are not by definition a threat to their children or anyone else. My point was not that people with mental illness are a menace to society, but more that those who are a menace to society most likely suffer from some mental illness...if that makes sense. And that home schooling, as it is currently regulated, seems to offer too many hiding spots for the latter.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Respectfully, though, that’s not true either. And repeating it both adds to the stigma associated with mental illness and provides a convenient scapegoat for people looking to rationalize or excuse the bad behavior of others. 

For example, without getting political, every time we have a mass shooting in the US the talking heads come out to say we need to do a better job of keeping “the mentally ill” from getting handguns. On the face of it, that’s completely reasonable. But I have depression, so I am mentally ill, and I would never commit a mass shooting. Conversely, many mass shooters do not have mental health issues. They commit mass shootings because they are trying to advance an ideology, or get revenge on others, or just because their lives are crap and they’re pissed off about it. But when we link mass shootings to mental illness, we both reinforce the idea that the mentally ill are dangerous and do nothing to stop the many mass shootings that are committed by people who aren’t mentally ill. 

I’ve been up all night, so i’m sorry if i’m being unclear. My point is that’s the idea that people who do bad things must be mentally ill can be just as dangerous as the idea that mentally ill people must do bad things. As a mentally ill person, I would like to see these two ideas (mental illness and dangerousness) separated in the public consciousness. We need systems to deal with offenders who are mentally ill, but I think we can have those without having to make sweeping generalizations about the mental health of the criminal population. 

Well said. I believe for many it's a knee jerk reaction to blame atrocities on something. But most have nothing at all to do with a mental health issue.

When a person achieves something wonderful no one questions their mental health, digs into their histories or question their neighbors, but I bet if they did they'd find many with a mental health diagnosis.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Satan made me cut my finger twice this week. I guess Jesus is not watching out for me either Jill.

You can't even with her! Every little thing is a "challenge."

She can't possibly ever not be under some sort of spiritual or physical attack. If she wasn't, that might mean she was not being Godly enough and Satan might see fit to go torment someone else while she stewed in her sinfulness...

• Love 5

I read it again. My thoughts:

CPS is gaining ground and she thinks it's Satan

She is the bestest Christian e.v.e.r.

The money is running low.

She seems to be in a chaotic state because Satan.

The Turpin case has people eying her thus she shut down her FB page to "friends" only.

Running away to Florida because grifting for food and money is what a family running away from CPS does errr I mean good godly family does.

She doesn't seem to interested in her new baby. Not an ounce. Calling her baby girl instead of giving her a name. Didn't she name her other girls before they where born.

And we get it Chimpy is a HUNK and you are so damn lucky to have him. LMAO

• Love 17

Those poor lions, being compared to Satan because they killed and ate a zebra. The lions were just doing what they are called to do by God. Yet Jill thinks it is ok to label them as Satan.

Just don't call her holier-than-thou or a fanatic!

• Love 10

She spells it Missions’ AND Mission’s. 

Unecessary quotes for “opportunity of a lifetime” (who was paying for this again?) and “in utero”. 

Really do not need to hear about them blissfully retiring to bed, her kissing him, and his grunting sweetly in his sleep. 

Edited by awaken
  • Love 9

Maybe Doodlebug could weigh in on this. Jill said she would be allowed to have baby naturally. (Think she meant vaginally.) I think C-section would be better. Wouldn't labor &  going thru birth canal cause more stress & pressure on baby's head/brain, possibly causing more damage? Maybe OB did suggest a C-section would be best but baby could be born vaginally. Who knows with this Wack-a-doo.

I can't believe the size of Chimpy's stomach.  He probably weighs as much as all the children put together.

Is there anywhere where Jill discusses her family's favorite meals?  I know, the freebie church meals they get after singing.  I would love to see what's in their cart when grocery shopping.   Oops forgot again they probably survive off handouts from the church pantries they visit. What an example they are showing the kids. 

• Love 7

Those poor Rodrigues children are straight up sickly. They have deep under-eye hollows, no muscle tone and horrible coloring. You can take one look at them and tell they're not getting nutrients. The two youngest look like waxy, corpse babies. 

• Love 16

Every time I see those thin - no, EMACIATED - Rodriguii children and look at their parents (neither of whom look sallow or emaciated so PLEASE don't let's do that "it's genetic" BS), I feel so much RAGE. They are only a few steps (shallow, SHALLOW) steps from that awful fundie family in the news right now who chained their children.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, CheeseBurgh said:

I am not familiar with these people, I clicked on the link to her blog. She wrote: 

How many breeds of people does she think there are?

Oh Merlin, help us.  I hope, but won't cross my fingers, that she had a typo and meant creed NOT breed, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  Also 21st century update Jill - it's ethnic group or ethnicity - not race.  As someone who was working towards her B.A/Masters in Anthropology race hasn't been used in decades for humans.  There is ONE human race.  There are many ethnic groups within that race.  

• Love 12
11 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I saw the 2 older boys and thought they were auditioning for a Twilight Movie.  And the little girl on the right side just looks scary.

Angry Olivia will grow up and write a tell all. Girl looks bitter.

• Love 7

What I got out of that blog... Who in there right mind would want to fuck that blob shit slob ass controlling piece of shit, let alone have 13 kids with him???? Oh yeah, that "my kids give up eating so the baby doesn't starve in my womb Jilly.. that's who...

Edited by Madtown
  • Love 15

Ok...so the kids are allowed to go to the beach, among the American women who dress “sluttish”.  I wonder what beach they went to where there were modest dressers.  And what would they have worn themselves?  News flash...it’s not comfortable to wear 1900s bathing costumes at the beach. That’s why swimwear evolved to what it is today.  Good LORT I can’t imagine wearing those “modesty suits” in the sand.   Or even being fully clothed.  Other than a T-shirt or shorts over a bathing suit I can’t even imagine wearing heavy, long clothes on the beach.  

And Jill, what spiritual attacks did you have without Chimpy’s protection?  You cut yourself on a can?  The car got stuck?  Seriously?  And what protection can he offer against these “attacks”?  Parenting alone is stressful.  I get it.  But for the love of Jeebus you have a self-created horde of kids  who are mainly old enough to fend for themselves (or care for each other) if need be.  You make it sound as if you were all alone in a glass house with a band of demonically possessed toddlers hurling rocks at each other.  Those kids are so whipped into servitude all you have to do is play the first three notes of the Star Spangled Banner and they fall into line.

Chimpy and Jrod need to stop flinging poo at others and actually focus on their family.  That whole humble brag about Nurie’s “sluttish” comment was a stab at everyone who doesn’t ascribe to her short-sighted view of the world.  That wasn’t Nurie, that was HER.  She bitched about that very same topic in an early blog post!  

Angry Olivia, PLEASE...start keeping a diary.  It will make that tell-all book so much easier to write.

• Love 13

I don't see David as controlling. Jill R seems to do whatever she wants and if anything, I think she calls the shots.  They may say he's the headship, because that's key to their beliefs and to the beliefs of everyone they know. (It's part of the biblical Christian patriarchy movement.)

• Love 7

I think Chimpy is an example of a "wonderful husband" as in Anna's comment "at least I have a husband to take out the trash." All these fundie women seem to hide behind the "I'm the perfect Christian mother bit, look at my hoard of children. Look, just look at my wonderful husband." Jill sounds exactly like Anna, at least I have a husband. 

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 10
33 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Speaking of fundie women with hoards of children, what happened to Sierra Joyless' BFF?

Still doing chocolate covered strawberries:

On Thursday she posted, Anyone needing Chocolate Dipped Strawberries for Valentine’s Day? Please let me know ASAP! ?

• Love 3

Sierra Jo Dominguez

This is an example of the 1.5 dozen strawberries, below! I'm doing 1 doz. strawberries, 1 doz. grapes, and an edible bowl for $40. Similar setup to the pic! :) Let me know, if interested!

2188AA1B-C9D5-4119-8F50-67D8F7ADC425.jpeg

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Sierra Jo Dominguez

This is an example of the 1.5 dozen strawberries, below! I'm doing 1 doz. strawberries, 1 doz. grapes, and an edible bowl for $40. Similar setup to the pic! :) Let me know, if interested!

Well, they could look a lot worse...Not something I'd pay $40 for given how easily I could make them at home, but probably not a bad investment for some demographics.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Sierra Jo Dominguez

The 1.5 dozen strawberries she is doing only contains 1 dozen strawberries - what happened to the other 6 strawberries???

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

The 1.5 dozen strawberries she is doing only contains 1 dozen strawberries - what happened to the other 6 strawberries???

SOTDRT?

(ok, wrong family, but I suspect some of the methodology might be similar....)

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 3

I think she means the photo is of a dozen and a half strawberries but the version she's doing is just a dozen.

Are the furry looking white strawberries a white chocolate drizzle or are they covered in coconut? 

I couldn't bring myself to pay $40 for a dozen chocolate covered strawberries. That's an insane markup for something that's maybe $10 in supplies if you have the time.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, McManda said:

I think she means the photo is of a dozen and a half strawberries but the version she's doing is just a dozen.

Are the furry looking white strawberries a white chocolate drizzle or are they covered in coconut? 

I couldn't bring myself to pay $40 for a dozen chocolate covered strawberries. That's an insane markup for something that's maybe $10 in supplies if you have the time.

Not to mention it's probably cheap chocolate so tastes like crap. My jackass uncle used to send my grandmother chocolate-covered strawberries every Christmas. She finally had to tell him to stop, that they tasted so badly nobody could eat them. He was offended (she asked him instead to make a donation to one of her favorite charities in her name. He refused, because he's a selfish ass). 

• Love 2

What is an "edible bowl" made of?

Why am I picturing moldy strawberries & grapes under the cheap chocolate?  Wonder if any of her kids help her make them. 

I'm with you all.  For  $40 I could get a couple boxes of  delicious chocolates from a local chocolate shop.  The workers wear gloves & proper hair coverings. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

What is an "edible bowl" made of? 

I'm with you all.  For  $40 I could get a couple boxes of  delicious chocolates from a local chocolate shop.  The workers wear gloves & proper hair coverings. 

I too was wondering what on earth an "edible bowl" was made of.  Is it a taco shell bowl?  or does she not understand the term edible bowl and think it's just a bowl full of "edible" food.  Guess she's never seen edible underwear.   And yea, $40 - I could get great local or make my own with good food and no health code violations.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I too was wondering what on earth an "edible bowl" was made of.  Is it a taco shell bowl?  or does she not understand the term edible bowl and think it's just a bowl full of "edible" food.  Guess she's never seen edible underwear.   And yea, $40 - I could get great local or make my own with good food and no health code violations.

I think it's a bowl made out of chocolate. And for $40 I'd expect all the ingredients to be organic :P

• Love 9
On 2/9/2018 at 3:48 PM, Sew Sumi said:

JRod is now blogging for those who can't see her FB. Chimpy looks like HE is due any day now. 

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?p=3401

Yikes. I’m no doctor, but all those kids look very malnourished. I wouldn’t be surprised if neighbors have found any of them rummaging through their trash. I hope someone steps in.

As far as their “witnessing” or whatever they call it, it caused me to remember Steven Biko’s opinion of missionaries. He said in South Africa, respect of parents and elders was paramount. But when the missionaries came in with their bs, they taught young people that their parents were ignorant and caused the youth not to respect their parents or their way of life. Which, in turn I’m sure, allowed the system of apartheid to flourish as long as it did. 

But back on topic, I don’t see how you can afford a vacation when your children look like that. How sad.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 8

I was disgusted by the photo of the Rod family & the African children that was captioned "Jasmine and Nurie, the African children loved playing with their hair". 

If it were any other family, I might think "kids are exploring hair and playing beauty parlor!"    Uh, not quite...Jill Rod is gross. 

And:

I'm still thinking about that "sluttish" comment. No idea why that bugs me.     Jill Rod, YOU look sluttish. 

• Love 11

I just watched an episode of Sister Wives. It was pretty amazing how a large polygamous Mormon-ish family and a large Mexican Catholic family came together and fully embraced both cultures and each other while their kids were married. It felt like the epitome of Christianlike behavior.

Duggars and others take note.

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I just watched an episode of Sister Wives. It was pretty amazing how a large polygamous Mormon-ish family and a large Mexican Catholic family came together and fully embraced both cultures and each other while their kids were married. It felt like the epitome of Christianlike behavior.

Except for the bride and groom piñatas. That was not right. 

• Love 16
On 2/11/2018 at 8:23 AM, Marigold said:

I was disgusted by the photo of the Rod family & the African children that was captioned "Jasmine and Nurie, the African children loved playing with their hair". 

I don't know what you mean?

My twins went to a mission trip to Jamaica. They experienced the same thing. The children all wanted to touch their hair. It was fascinating to them. One boy keep asking twin #2 if she had a weave. It's just pure innocent moment from kids that wonder about someone that doesn't look like them.

P.S. the children all are so lovey too.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 5
On 2/10/2018 at 9:30 PM, ginger90 said:

Sierra Jo Dominguez

These things are on sale at Wegmans. Almost identical.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

And I bet they're not $40. 

Ha! They’re like 15 bucks. I have a horrible sweet tooth and even I thought that was too expensive. 

Is that even Sierra’s own work in that photo, or someone else’s like Shari’s Berries that she’s saying she can recreate? Because if her previous work filmed on the show is any indication of what the final product would look like, a customer has a better shot at handing an ill-behaved five year old a skewer and a piece of fruit and pointing them toward the chocolate trough at the Golden Corral.

I sense a desperation in her advertisement though. Like she really, really needs money and needs to sell these strawberries to make ends meet.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

When the Duggars did Ireland, they conspicuously avoided any contact with the Irish general population. They went directly to that farm and made soda bread, and Famy rode a pig. I think the Irish just weren’t impressed by Ms Ruark (O’Rourke).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

When the Duggars did Ireland, they conspicuously avoided any contact with the Irish general population. They went directly to that farm and made soda bread, and Famy rode a pig. I think the Irish just weren’t impressed by Ms Ruark (O’Rourke).

I think the Duggars were afraid of catching Catholic cooties.

• Love 16