Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Haha! I knew about the two separate Pantone colors, but wondered what the hell I missed with this ombre bit! D'oh! 

Seriously, no one over the age of 30 should attempt neon pink and only wear pale pink in the form of a top or blouse (and even then, covered with something to mute it even further). Mechelle Duggar also has an absolutely hideous floral top in hot pink she's been wearing fairly recently that should be burnt. Not even Gigi Hadid could pull that shit off. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

The color of the year isn't ombre pink to blue!  That's just how Pantone is showing the two colors on the web page where they made the announcement, lol.  It's "rose quartz pink" and "serenity blue," two separate colors entirely.  And, might I say, each bad enough on its own to warrant questioning who is in charge of making the color of the year selection over there.  Anyway.

Another pink lover is our girl, Jill Rodrigues.  And you want to talk ombre?  In her "bitter" video, she is wearing THE HELL out of a pink ombre skirt, which she has tastefully matched with bright pink chandelier earrings, neck scarf, several pink bracelets, and one of her little daughter's pink plastic headbands.  She got the skirt when she went shopping with her sister, Amy, and she happily tells the audience that when David saw her new skirt, he said she reminded him of a fishing lure.  I think he meant this little guy ... trust me, he looks much cuter wearing pink ombre than Jill does.

ed313c3149dd15e3dc66726ae6c54e6e.jpg

You are hilarious.  Just the pink by itself is hideous...I did think the ombré to serenity blue made it somewhat more palatable.  Neither shade really flatters a pasty white complexion though.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

... we used to call that color complexion "fish belly white," which the above picture illustrates nicely.

Incidentally, I hear fish belly white is in the running to be Pantone's 2017 color of the year.  Just FYI. 

Fish Belly White should enhance the pasty countenances of many a Fundy frumper! 

• Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Curucu said:

This right here.  As far as a school that would be more comfortable for Duggers, et al, I would lean more toward something like Pensicola, although I'm not sure if their rules have changed.  At Liberty, we could date unchaperoned.  What a disturbing thought to take a 3rd wheel....

And to that, I want to add I didn't mean it as a defensive statement, I thought it was funny and was a bit bewildered by the comment.  Everyone I went to school with was more or less like me, very few were Fundy...at least that I knew of.  I'm trying to think if any of my friends were Baptists, I know I never was.

Interesting that you were bewildered by my comment because I'm bewildered by yours! :) The many people I've known who attended Liberty were extremely legalistic fundies who took biblical inerrancy very seriously and spent much of their time having theological debates and "witnessing" to people. Clearly, there are different subsets of people on campus, and some no doubt merely tolerate the mandatory chapel with the rantings and ravings of Jerry Falwell (now Junior) and many rules, but I still very much disagree with the notion that it is not a fundy school. Their statement of faith lines up perfectly with the definition of fundamentalist Christianity. Jerry Falwell's church is Southern Baptist, which in its statement of faith specifically mentions the submission of wives, the evils of homosexuality, a 6000 year old earth, and the literal truth of the entire bible.

I mean, it's only in the last few years that they've taken the ban on women wearing pants to class off the books! And you can still be expelled if it's discovered that you've had premarital sex. They also only in the last couple years stopped giving out demerit points for students who viewed R-rated movies -- presumably because that's just too hard to regulate anymore. But anyway, this has gotten off topic!

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, becca3891 said:

Interesting that you were bewildered by my comment because I'm bewildered by yours! :) The many people I've known who attended Liberty were extremely legalistic fundies who took biblical inerrancy very seriously and spent much of their time having theological debates and "witnessing" to people. Clearly, there are different subsets of people on campus, and some no doubt merely tolerate the mandatory chapel with the rantings and ravings of Jerry Falwell (now Junior) and many rules, but I still very much disagree with the notion that it is not a fundy school. Their statement of faith lines up perfectly with the definition of fundamentalist Christianity. Jerry Falwell's church is Southern Baptist, which in its statement of faith specifically mentions the submission of wives, the evils of homosexuality, a 6000 year old earth, and the literal truth of the entire bible.

I mean, it's only in the last few years that they've taken the ban on women wearing pants to class off the books! And you can still be expelled if it's discovered that you've had premarital sex. They also only in the last couple years stopped giving out demerit points for students who viewed R-rated movies -- presumably because that's just too hard to regulate anymore. But anyway, this has gotten off topic!

This is the last I'll say on this, I know everyone is sick of reading about it...I know the university itself is Baptist, but it is far from the only tenant of Christianity there (I even knew a few who were Atheists), was my point, and indeed in conservative circles as far as Christian Schools go, it is one of the more liberal, as I mentioned Pensicola (dating chaperones, etc).  As for witnessing, Baptists are into that, so while it isn't my cup of tea unless a situation warrants it (very few do), I dismissed it as part of that denomination and did not participate in the "organized" witnessing...which is ridiculous.  I was in a position to interact with the Chancellor of the University regularly, and at no time was my opinion squashed.  I like dresses, so the pants ban wasn't an issue for me (it was only during class while I was there) but my complaint largely rested with 'causing men to sin' by wearing a skirt above my knee, and was quite vocal about it to the higher-ups (they'll do the same if I wear sweatpants!).  All of this was to say I don't think a rigid Fundamentalist family would feel comfortable at Liberty, as there are many opinions there.

Perhaps it was the crop of kids I attended with.  What you describe was not my experience.  Many of us used to groan when Falwell (Sr) would say something we'd have to spend the next year apologizing for.  I will say that though that Liberty was very very conservative in every possible way at its founding and in the 80s and early 90s.  By the time I attended, we had little in common with alumni from that time.  Finding a good accredited Christian University that had some social life (football team, baseball, drama) was difficult and a lot who attended Liberty with me wanted a christian 'flavored' education, but had no association with the Fundy realm.  :)

• Love 3

There are plenty of people who may desire to attend a Christian college even if they cherry pick what they wish to adhere to.  They just quietly blend in, pay lip service, and quietly do what they want when no one is watching. I'm sure that's the experience of a good many kids who attended Liberty and other similar colleges or there may be some degree programs there that are actually quite good, so people will put up with whatever to get a degree from a good school.

• Love 2
(edited)

I spent an afternoon at Liberty one day, and I won't soon forget it.  All of the girls had curled long hair and dresses.  Most of the boys were in shorts, tshirts, and flip flops.  I thought that double standard was really outrageous.  I did notice huge parking lots and tons of cars, so I figured that kids got off campus frequently and took advantage of the freedom.

My daughter was there for softball games, and the best part is that Liberty softball players wore skirts over their shorts!

ETA:  At least they let the girls play sports, which I guess pulls Liberty out of the super fundie category.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 3
On 5/14/2016 at 3:14 PM, ingenting said:

Seriously?! A planetarium?!

Yep.  Not like at a museum or anything, basically a dome that hung over a small auditorium that held maybe 50 people.  Nothing all that dramatic. 

One of my former coworkers is a conservative Christian ...just one of the nicest people I have ever met -- sent one of his daughters to Liberty.  He gave her the option to attend a state university, but she chose Liberty. It's not cheap to go there either.

I don't understand. Do they genuinely believe that a child that young is "saved" because she can parrot a few lines? Do they think it's some kind of spell? I thought part of the idea of rejecting infant baptism was that one needs to be old enough to actually understand what being saved means before one can truly be saved. How a four-year old, desperately eager to please her psycho parents, could have that kind of understanding is rather beyond me I must admit.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, Vaysh said:

I don't understand. Do they genuinely believe that a child that young is "saved" because she can parrot a few lines? Do they think it's some kind of spell? I thought part of the idea of rejecting infant baptism was that one needs to be old enough to actually understand what being saved means before one can truly be saved. How a four-year old, desperately eager to please her psycho parents, could have that kind of understanding is rather beyond me I must admit.

There is a large river in my area that has a couple of very, very, very small islands in it. When I was 4 or 5 my older brother told me that one of the islands was Gilligan's Island. I believed him. So there's that.

• Love 13

Looks like the Rods have at least invested in braces for Nurie. Fortunately she takes more after her mom than Chimpy.  She's actually a very pretty girl. 

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I started trolling the web to find something new to snark on.  All the SmugAnna stuff is the same story rehashed with a new title.  Maybe the Maxhell's have done something interesting...I have to ration my excitement, so I might have a look later. The Rods are also laying low. I'm sure my super sleuths Sumi or Louannems will no doubt find us all something snark-worthy.

I drafted this yesterday and thought I had accidentally deleted it...good ole Louannems ....I knew she wouldn't disappoint. Child seems a little young to know what it means to be saved.  4 year old Angry Olivia recently asked to be saved as well, so this other Rodriguii must be 3 or not much more than 2.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I started trolling the web to find something new to snark on.  All the SmugAnna stuff is the same story rehashed with a new title.  Maybe the Maxhell's have done something interesting...I have to ration my excitement, so I might have a look later. The Rods are also laying low. I'm sure my super sleuths Sumi or Louannems will no doubt find us all something snark-worthy.

Steven Anderson (aka The Pissing Preacher) and Zsu had yet another baby. This time there was no pretend twin. 

Anna's sister, Esther, is in labor in Zambia. Sometimes her labor takes weeks because of the radiation from Japan (100% serious.)

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, FakeJoshDuggar said:

Steven Anderson (aka The Pissing Preacher) and Zsu had yet another baby. This time there was no pretend twin. 

Anna's sister, Esther, is in labor in Zambia. Sometimes her labor takes weeks because of the radiation from Japan (100% serious.)

Stephen Anderson is a creep.  So the radiation from Japan causes her to have prolonged labor? I wonder if Michelle's "missing back muscle" was caused by radiation or solar flares.  These people just really don't understand anything about medicine or anatomy...Wisdumb Booklets don't teach these things.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Jesus, how many kids is that for Esther, ten? Eleven? She's insane.

Yes...she is....I can't even begin to understand the level of madness that grips these people...let's show everyone just how big a deal it is to give birth in a 3rd world country and cram 13 people into a space too small for two..it boggles the mind

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, emma675 said:

From the neck up, JRod looks like she should be in a White Snake video from 1982.

Or rocking a present-day Whitesnake show at a state fair.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, DoctorWhovian said:

That poor 17 year old Rodriguez daughter. She's trying to dress like her mom and it just looks even worse on a young girl. Hopefully she makes some girlfriends that can give her some guidance.

They move around enough that they 'fellowship' with like minded people or stay isolated (like the Duggs). For her a marriage to the Duggs might actually be a 'blessing'. 

She must be about ready for a wedding ugh. But I would watch that show.. I'm sorry, I feel so bad, but the Rods are crazy without a filter and it would be so fascinating to see them on my tv. They would make the Duggs seem mainstream. But I want a guarantee the kids money goes into a trust fund the parents cannot access. Those are my demands lol. 

Edited by sometimesy
If Dim Boob is reading this he's conference calling with Jill and TLC
  • Love 7

Esther is in labor? Well, if nothing else, those Keller girls were genetically gifted with the ability to breed, anyplace, anytime, so hopefully all went well. I'll never forget her "light radiation" post, which supposedly kept her laboring for something like 70 hours. These people seriously start counting from the first twinge for drama, don't they?

And from Maxhell, Sarah is projecting again. 

http://blog.titus2.com/2016/05/17/cousin-joy/

• Love 1

Yes, the first inkling they "might" be in labor is time for them to start the clock.  Then they claim labor slows down or something to account for the gaps.  They don't even seem to consider that they were wrong about when labor actually began. 

Sarah has a little buddy. If only she would take a college class, or take a job, she just might meet her mate! I wonder if she goes online at all. What would Mr. MaxHell DO if she worked or took a class?  Spank her?DSC_7524.jpg

She really loves that dog.  Ellie brings her much comfort.

Spank? I don't think Fundies "spank" their kids, rather beat them senseless with a leather strap or paddle and claim it "builds character" and is morally just and right.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, louannems said:

IMG_0354.jpg

Good god!  Tart JillR's toddler daughter has just said The Sinner's Prayer and is SAVED!!!

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?p=2558

Dear Jill R.,

We all know and love you (to snark on) BUT I see your kids need food and medical attention. Angry Olivia might be angry because she can't see properly? I'm no doctor but have had to go to the eye doctor since I was very young and can tell anyone that eye care is very important to a child's health because they need to be able to see properly to LEARN! UGH well we all know they don't go to school and are home schooled but I see Nury squinting in almost every picture---take them to a real eye doctor and get them glasses instead of going on your stink bus that costs $$$$$ to grift! Rant over.

• Love 6

I watched a YouTube video of pastor Steven Anderson giving a sermon on corporol punishment. Beginning at 5-6 MONTHS of age, he believes in removing a baby's diaper to spank with a rod. He said the age to end spankings are when the child no longer lives under his roof, no matter how old!!! He stressed that he really did believe that. He also believes in beatings for non-violent criminals, rather than prison time.

This is my first viewing of this Independent Fundamentalists Baptist nutcase.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

Why the Fuck does a 4 1/2 yr. Old need to be saved? 

Hey, David Waller grasped that he was lost in possibly irredeemable sin at age 3. Jinger fell into depression over her black soul at age 6. Four and a half is right in the ball park for these unfortunate children. Apparently something to do with having these lunatics for parents.

Edited by Churchhoney
because every time I post lately, the last word falls off
  • Love 8
(edited)
17 minutes ago, louannems said:

I watched a YouTube video of pastor Steven Anderson giving a sermon on corporol punishment. Beginning at 5-6 MONTHS of age, he believes in removing a baby's diaper to spank with a rod. He said the age to end spankings are when the child no longer lives under his roof, no matter how old!!! He stressed that he really did believe that. He also believes in beatings for non-violent criminals, rather than prison time.

This is my first viewing of this Independent Fundamentalists Baptist nutcase.

He's one sick mo-fo! Disgusting! Thanks for taking one for the team, Louannems. You're braver than I.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 6
(edited)

When Jill  R talks about the kids showering her with gifts on mother's day, I hope that's a euphemism for pelting her in the head. 

4-1/2 year olds have soooo many sins to confess.  I remember when I did first communion and had to go to confession.  We were told we needed a minimum of three sins to confess.  Not having been brought up to believe we are evil to the core like these fundies are, a bunch of us got together to try to figure out what to say.  Why?  Because 6 year olds don't have major sins to confess!  Just like a 4-1/2 year old cannot understand the concept of being saved. 

I wish Jill R's 17 year old had spent her gift card on food for her and her siblings rather than a mother's day gift for Jill. Those children are so horribly indoctrinated.   

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 9

That poor little chick probably hears multiple times a day that people who aren't saved are going to hell, complete with detailed descriptions of what hell is like, so she asked to be saved, without having any real concept of what it means, beyond "won't go to hell where all that horrible stuff happens." And considering their miserable existence, maybe they hope being saved will make that better too, until they get old enough to realize that all the prayer in the world isn't going to magically make the God they believe in take them out of that cramped motor home and give them a decent meal. I would be so full of despair if I lived that existence and was only told "pray harder", not "get an education, get a job, and strive to improve your own life."

• Love 6

That child wears make up??? How is that modest?? Disgusting.

I don't get the concept of being saved and knowing it. Isn't that terribly presumptious in itself? How can you, a mere sinning mortal know what God does?

He will decide what to do with you when the time comes, no matter what you may or may not have done.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, kalamac said:

That poor little chick probably hears multiple times a day that people who aren't saved are going to hell, complete with detailed descriptions of what hell is like, so she asked to be saved, without having any real concept of what it means, beyond "won't go to hell where all that horrible stuff happens." And considering their miserable existence, maybe they hope being saved will make that better too, until they get old enough to realize that all the prayer in the world isn't going to magically make the God they believe in take them out of that cramped motor home and give them a decent meal. I would be so full of despair if I lived that existence and was only told "pray harder", not "get an education, get a job, and strive to improve your own life."

And I wonder whether the worst thing is that they don't even realize that getting an education and a job and having some power to improve your own life are possibilities. All they hear is that schools and jobs in which you work for and with non-family-members are the earthly equivalent of hell and that people are incapable of doing anything at all without Jesus and anybody who tries or imagines that they can is utterly evil and doomed. Their imaginations have been so circumscribed that they probably don't even realize what they might be in despair about. It's hard to imagine what's going to become of these kids. Their deprivation seems even worse than that of most of the other families we know about.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
(edited)
17 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

Why the Fuck does a 4 1/2 yr. Old need to be saved? 

I used to work with someone who came into work one Monday morning thrilled that her four year old son had walked the aisle at church the day before and was going to be baptized the next week.  I asked her if a four year old really understood what that decision really meant and she said HER SON DID (yeah, she wasn't happy I asked that). I always wondered if kids were just threatened that they would go to hell if they died.  I was 12-years-old when I made that decision and honestly I still wonder if I was too young and if I really understood what I was doing.  My "preacher" now normally will not baptized a child under 10 unless he has talked with the family and knows the kid understands the decision he is making. 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

I used to work with someone who came into work one Monday morning thrilled that her four year old son had walked the aisle at church the day before and was going to be baptized the next week.  I asked her if a four year old really understood what that decision really meant and she said HER SON DID (yeah, she wasn't happy I asked that). I always wondered if kids were just threatened that they would go to hell if they died.  I was 12-years-old when I made that decision and honestly I still wonder if I was too young and if I really understood what I was doing.  My "preacher" now normally will not baptized a child under 10 unless he has talked with the family and knows the kid understands the decision he is making. 

This always puzzles me too...Most Fundys seem to subscribe to the "once Saved, always Saved" doctrine and don't believe that there is any possibility of losing salvation through backsliding. It seems to me, though, that there is every chance in the world that a four and a half year old won't even clearly remember the occasion into adulthood. Maybe they will remember it in a theoretical sense, since it's likely that the story will be retold throughout their growing-up years but with that many kids, especially if a few more come along afterwards, the details of one Baptism vs. another will probably get blurred. Anyway, point being that this child, with any sort of luck, has a chance of escaping the cult and going on to live a life anywhere between Fundy-lite and Atheist. If they are still "Saved" at that point, then why guard them so obsessively against any hint of secular attitudes in their life experience? And it is possible for them to backslide and lose their Salvation (due, most probably, to the fact that it was nothing more than mimicry and wanting to be part of something the "big kids" had), then why allow them to do it at such a young age to start with? If I was the parent, and if I believed in any sort of god to start with, much less an omniscient one who would know my child's mind much better than I did myself, it seems I would hesitate at allowing such a young child to make such a once-in-a lifetime commitment before being absolutely sure they were ready. After all, what if God heard them and said, "naah...I see their mind and I see the future, and there is no way this kid knows what she is saying or is going to stay on the straight-and-narrow", and didn't bestow said Salvation? Is that possible? How would one know? And in the meantime, here's the parent of a child growing up rebellious, secure in the knowledge that at least their kid is safe from damnation...

It's a good thing I don't actually believe any of this, or it would probably make me crazy!

• Love 9
(edited)

I really feel the ungodly need the presence of the godly. There is a real opportunity for these kids to set up mini missions at a public school. They can set an example to their friends. Nurie can go to sleepovers at birthday parties and share her wisdom with the damned in her jammies. They are selfish to keep all those godly children away from the ungodly. Except Timothy, I think bad things would happen to Timothy and his pageant girl salutations. I think Timothy needs saving, and it's not from the devil. That boy looks frightened and sad. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 6
(edited)
14 hours ago, kalamac said:

Hey now, God will improve her life if he sees fit; that is, if she's holy enough.  Of course, God could choose to give her hardships to bring her closer to him instead.  Only bad things are caused by her actions; all good comes from god, so she best spend all of her time praying.  (Okay, I shouldn't have watched RU; it instills twisted thinking.)

And it's not just pray harder.  As we've seen with skeletal Timothy, it's pray harder and fast.  Because dying from starvation for Jesus is godly. 

4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

This always puzzles me too...Most Fundys seem to subscribe to the "once Saved, always Saved" doctrine and don't believe that there is any possibility of losing salvation through backsliding. . . . .

It's a good thing I don't actually believe any of this, or it would probably make me crazy!

And yet they will ask people to come up to be saved again/rededicate their life to Jesus if they feel they are backsliding.  And there is the concept of thinking you are not really saved and need to be born again again (reborn again?).  So saving is not permanent until they want it to be.  There is so much circular reasoning and nonsensical thoughts processes in their belief system.  Saved and you murder someone?  Still saved, going to heaven.  Not saved and you live an incredibly good life, always being kind and helpful to others?  Going to hell.  Thought you were saved but having doubts because the devil built a fortress in your heart?  Need to be saved again; it may not have been real the first time.  Was that fortress related to murder, rape, or other horrific crimes against others?  Probably not.  The fortress was most likely sleeping in and missing the Sunday service or listening to secular music.  Those are the real signs of damnation.  After all, you had a good time in a way that did not hurt others. 

All right, I am in a mood this morning.  Got no room left for the Rodriguii.   Free the Rodriguii kids!

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 9
(edited)

So that happened. Marjorie signs an actual book contract for a devotional book as both writer and illustrator. Imagine such a teenager actually married into Jizm Bob's control. And the land of Duggar homeschooling, designed by MeChelle. Nope.

On the other hand, I woulda been happy had she managed to pull Josiah out of it. But I'm afraid the Duggar gravity is too strong.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

A devotional coloring book?  Not my cuppa.  No, Marjorie i'm not excited.

Muffyn nice to see you after our stimulating church service.  I've spent more time at RU than a physical church in years.  I told BJ to lighten up and got bible quotes that didn't make sense to me from Cisco.  Smaller group last night.  The real fundys seemed to be absent.