Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Priscilla has a face that (I think) will look better the more she ages. I actually think she looks pretty in that picture, especially compared to pictures of them when they first got married. Or the lighting just made her look good (haha!)

She kind of looks like a younger version of David's mother.

Eta: I wonder if David and Robert Staddon ever have "manly fellowship" together. Alone... Just the two of them.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 1

I think Priscilla has a pretty face, but she makes the oddest, exaggerated, strange expressions.

I agree. All the Keller girls are quite pretty. I saw a throwback pic of the family that was taken when the kids were young and I couldn't believe how attractive Esther was. Poverty, a moronic husband and ten pregnancies have really taken their toll on the poor woman.

• Love 3

I lasted all of 5 seconds before I had to mute it - no way. WHAT is wrong with that girl? And why does nobody in their circle see it? That's not normal behaviour.  These weird slitty eyes, the scrunchedupnedness......bleurgh.

The baby daughter is very looks challenged I think, but then, I didn't feel young Izzy was a cute baby. He seems to grow into his looks now though.

I do continue to think that TFDW has serious issues and hope he isn't taking it out on her.

On a slightly different note, is anyone else beginning to find Lawson Bates ever so slightly smug and annoying? He is the only one to have Insta without any reason, he's not married or courting. What does he actually DO all day? He seems to have an awful lot of time on his hands

• Love 3

Could it be a bun in the oven joke?

For anyone else that would be funny. I don't think they could even come up with something that clever. At least Pris couldn't.

Oh that video. I like Pris calling the heathens "not God's best". I guess as snarkers, we fall into that category. Pris encourages the children to talk to their parents but isn't it known that Ma Keller would only spend approx 10 minutes a day one on one with them when they were growing up?

• Love 3

On a slightly different note, is anyone else beginning to find Lawson Bates ever so slightly smug and annoying? He is the only one to have Insta without any reason, he's not married or courting. What does he actually DO all day? He seems to have an awful lot of time on his hands

I assume he has social media because he's trying to get a music career?

• Love 3

WHAT is wrong with that girl? And why does nobody in their circle see it? That's not normal behaviour.  These weird slitty eyes, the scrunchedupnedness......bleurgh.

Priscilla always reminds me of the young girl in The Light in the Piazza. If you've never seen it, it's a movie (and later a Broadway musical) about a young girl touring Italy with her mother. The girl is pretty and sweet, but extremely child-like and dependent on her hovering mother. A young man from a wealthy Italian family falls in love with her and wants to marry her, but the mother refuses her permission. At first, it seems that the girl is being stifled and controlled by a domineering parent, but then the truth is revealed. The girl suffers from a slight mental and emotional impairment. She can function well enough to appear "normal" as long as there is always someone with her to watch over her and clear the path for her. On her own, she cannot cope and becomes hysterical with fear and panic. The young man (with the backing of his entire family) still wants to marry her and promises that he will always guard and protect her. They marry and presumably live happily ever after.

Obviously, we don't know if Priscilla is actually impaired in any way, but she and David both come from a culture that refuses to acknowledge any kind of mental or emotional problem that can't be "prayed away". It's also a culture that sees passivity and obedience as desirable traits in young women and where young men are taught that the perfect wife is a child-like creature who will always depend on his strength and wisdom.

• Love 11

Michelle and Priscilla seem to think they are related to each other, as in mother and daughter. Very odd.

Well, that would be odd but as I'm not sure what triggered your reaction, it could be "because we are sisters under the umbrella of our heavenly father".

I lasted all of 5 seconds before I had to mute it - no way. WHAT is wrong with that girl? And why does nobody in their circle see it? That's not normal behaviour.  These weird slitty eyes, the scrunchedupnedness......bleurgh.

The baby daughter is very looks challenged I think, but then, I didn't feel young Izzy was a cute baby. He seems to grow into his looks now though.

I do continue to think that TFDW has serious issues and hope he isn't taking it out on her.

90% agree with all that, and I've actually toned back on comments about him and her behavior, because I think he does have a cruel undertone, and would take it out on her if he saw things here. I don't think the baby looks or acts 'challenged' though. 

Priscilla comes off as if she's trying her hardest and terrified of failing, and is sincere about trying so hard, instead of just being more natural and letting things flow - even within her lifestyle. It must be exhausting to be 'on' 24/7 instead of just being able to live. She seems like a very dedicated mother, and the kids look clean, healthy, happy, etc., so she's doing something right.

Lawson Bates - is he the one who cuts trees and is a country singer? My guess is he spends his time cutting trees and then singing at churches for love offerings.

Michelle and Priscilla seem to think they are related to each other, as in mother and daughter. Very odd.

They're Sisters in Christ, you heathurn. They do seem like they're trying to out-Gothard each other in that video. I have no idea what their message was, because I'm focused on the beaming counteances, joyful eye scrunching and whatever that tone of voice is.

If I were 'Cil, I'd put on some goggles hoping Michelle's crunch hair didn't blow up in the wind and stab me in the eye. Maybe that's why she's squinting. 

Priscilla reminds me of one of those dolls where you pull a string and random phrases come out "encouraging you in your walk," "babies are fearfully and wonderfully made," "random snippet of a Bible verse," "guard your heart, and trust the Lord," etc.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 16

Priscilla always reminds me of the young girl in The Light in the Piazza. If you've never seen it, it's a movie (and later a Broadway musical) about a young girl touring Italy with her mother. The girl is pretty and sweet, but extremely child-like and dependent on her hovering mother. A young man from a wealthy Italian family falls in love with her and wants to marry her, but the mother refuses her permission. At first, it seems that the girl is being stifled and controlled by a domineering parent, but then the truth is revealed. The girl suffers from a slight mental and emotional impairment. She can function well enough to appear "normal" as long as there is always someone with her to watch over her and clear the path for her. On her own, she cannot cope and becomes hysterical with fear and panic. The young man (with the backing of his entire family) still wants to marry her and promises that he will always guard and protect her. They marry and presumably live happily ever after.

Many years ago I caught the last part of that movie!  At first all I could focus on was the push-up bra that had that young woman's breasts just inches from her chin, but then I picked up on some of the rest of the story.  How childlike she was, how worried her mother was, and how the mom kept trying to get the suiter and his family to realize what they were stepping into.  I finally figured out that the whole Italian family thought the young lady was so sweet and loving, and she and her future husband would always live either with other family members or very close by, they thought that they could handle the situation.  I can't imagine how the first intercourse would be handled by the new bride, nor how she would handle labor and childcare.  The Italian family seemed to think that it would all magically work out because their son loved this girl/woman.  At least the mother really tried to get things across to them, but I think she realized that her daughter would be able to marry the young man anyway, and acquiesced.  Maybe she hoped to still be on good terms with her daughter if things went south, so she could step in and help again.

Pris does have some kind of mix of childlike womanhood, and it's always worried me.  She was a preemie, and so far as I know never received any special care once she was released from the hospital.  I've always felt that her family focused on training her to be a good SAHD, and maybe were thinking that the parents would use her as their carer when they got older, to be passed on to another sibling as a helper for them after the parents were gone.

But when David's parents pressured him to get married NOW, he admits he chose Pris because he thought she'd be a good Gothard wife.  Priscilla's parents must have been ecstatic to find that a young man on the Gothard fast-track wanted to marry their daughter.  They might lose out on a built in care giver for their old age, but she was going to marry a young man who had status in their cult, and presumably a good paycheck to go with it.  I don't doubt that they suspected David of being gay, as evidenced by Priscilla's father asking David if he'd let Pris moniter his online time, but that was the one real concession they made to the deal.  They won't step up to help her if her marriage turns out to be a bad one, and I already think that David resents being 'stuck' with her.  He's done plenty of things to demonstrate that he thinks of himself first, and at times has appeared on camera to barely tolerate her.

Priscilla seems like a good-hearted person, but I feel like her marriage is very confusing for her.  She's doing what she's been taught to do; but staring lovingly at her husband, nodding along with his words, and contributing "Yessss" isn't cutting it.  Instead, she's given lines to repeat on camera for David's videos, and she seems terrified that she's doing it wrong, while David often looks annoyed by her.  The ass had her up within a couple of hours after giving birth to post a video showing off to the world that David had managed to father a son!

The saddest thing is, that this is the best Pris can expect in Gothard Land, but if she'd been born to parents not under Gothard's influence she probably would have had help for any problems stemming from being born too soon, and would most likely be living a much more typical lifestyle right now.  Whether married or not, she'd have had a better education, experience in dealing with the 'regular world', outside friends, and probably an understanding that if she needs help there are places where she can turn to besides her parents.

• Love 7

Well, that would be odd but as I'm not sure what triggered your reaction, it could be "because we are sisters under the umbrella of our heavenly father".

Michelle had like ten daughters in the TTH behind her, yet that video on mother-daughter relationships features über sow Michelle and an unrelated low IQ girl who's most significant interaction with Michelle was when she cleaned the many toilets in Michelle's TTH.
  • Love 2

Many years ago I caught the last part of that movie! At first all I could focus on was the push-up bra that had that young woman's breasts just inches from her chin, but then I picked up on some of the rest of the story. How childlike she was, how worried her mother was, and how the mom kept trying to get the suiter and his family to realize what they were stepping into. I finally figured out that the whole Italian family thought the young lady was so sweet and loving, and she and her future husband would always live either with other family members or very close by, they thought that they could handle the situation. I can't imagine how the first intercourse would be handled by the new bride, nor how she would handle labor and childcare. The Italian family seemed to think that it would all magically work out because their son loved this girl/woman. At least the mother really tried to get things across to them, but I think she realized that her daughter would be able to marry the young man anyway, and acquiesced. Maybe she hoped to still be on good terms with her daughter if things went south, so she could step in and help again.

Pris does have some kind of mix of childlike womanhood, and it's always worried me. She was a preemie, and so far as I know never received any special care once she was released from the hospital. I've always felt that her family focused on training her to be a good SAHD, and maybe were thinking that the parents would use her as their carer when they got older, to be passed on to another sibling as a helper for them after the parents were gone.

But when David's parents pressured him to get married NOW, he admits he chose Pris because he thought she'd be a good Gothard wife. Priscilla's parents must have been ecstatic to find that a young man on the Gothard fast-track wanted to marry their daughter. They might lose out on a built in care giver for their old age, but she was going to marry a young man who had status in their cult, and presumably a good paycheck to go with it. I don't doubt that they suspected David of being gay, as evidenced by Priscilla's father asking David if he'd let Pris moniter his online time, but that was the one real concession they made to the deal. They won't step up to help her if her marriage turns out to be a bad one, and I already think that David resents being 'stuck' with her. He's done plenty of things to demonstrate that he thinks of himself first, and at times has appeared on camera to barely tolerate her.

Priscilla seems like a good-hearted person, but I feel like her marriage is very confusing for her. She's doing what she's been taught to do; but staring lovingly at her husband, nodding along with his words, and contributing "Yessss" isn't cutting it. Instead, she's given lines to repeat on camera for David's videos, and she seems terrified that she's doing it wrong, while David often looks annoyed by her. The ass had her up within a couple of hours after giving birth to post a video showing off to the world that David had managed to father a son!

The saddest thing is, that this is the best Pris can expect in Gothard Land, but if she'd been born to parents not under Gothard's influence she probably would have had help for any problems stemming from being born too soon, and would most likely be living a much more typical lifestyle right now. Whether married or not, she'd have had a better education, experience in dealing with the 'regular world', outside friends, and probably an understanding that if she needs help there are places where she can turn to besides her parents.

I suspect there was a push by both families to find these two spouses ASAP. They were both born in 1986 got married in 2012, the Smuggars were both born in 1988 and were married in 2008. They suit each other in a perverse kind of way.
  • Love 1

David is a lot like Michael Bates' husband. Both men admitted they had absolutely no desire to marry at that point in their lives, but came around after being told to "pray on it" repeatedly by their families. Priscilla seems a little "simple" and Michael was desperate not to end up like Jana Duggar. Both relationships are on a very uneven keel. I wonder how that will play out in the long-term.

• Love 6

In the long term, it will continue to play out as it is now. Pris will continue to be confused as to why things aren't perfect and blame herself and sin, while David will continue to resent his entire life and blame all of his unhappiness on the scapegoat Priscilla.

They will frame everything in Gothard standards, prescribe to every wisdom book, counseling, checklist, etc., and will blame Satan and Priscilla for all of their problems.

I really don't think she's 'challenged' or low IQ any worse than any of the Duggar kids. I just think her whole life has be hyperfocused on becoming a Godly Gothard Christian Wife and Mother. She's been isolated, she's been brainwashed, she's been told to follow these rules and recite these phrases, and everything will be perfect, and if it isn't it's all your fault. Our method is foolproof - any fault is Satan and you. Questioning, doubting, suggesting anything different = sin and shame.

Whether it's Gothardites, Sister Wives, Amish, etc., I don't think a lot of people understand how extreme the brainwashing is, and how difficult it is to erase it, even when you KNOW this is NOT what God said, this is NOT common sense, this just isn't right, but you're still terrified that you'll shame your family and then go to hell for doing anything different.

• Love 11

Priscilla always reminds me of the young girl in The Light in the Piazza. If you've never seen it, it's a movie (and later a Broadway musical) about a young girl touring Italy with her mother. The girl is pretty and sweet, but extremely child-like and dependent on her hovering mother. A young man from a wealthy Italian family falls in love with her and wants to marry her, but the mother refuses her permission. At first, it seems that the girl is being stifled and controlled by a domineering parent, but then the truth is revealed. The girl suffers from a slight mental and emotional impairment. She can function well enough to appear "normal" as long as there is always someone with her to watch over her and clear the path for her. On her own, she cannot cope and becomes hysterical with fear and panic. The young man (with the backing of his entire family) still wants to marry her and promises that he will always guard and protect her. They marry and presumably live happily ever after.

Obviously, we don't know if Priscilla is actually impaired in any way, but she and David both come from a culture that refuses to acknowledge any kind of mental or emotional problem that can't be "prayed away". It's also a culture that sees passivity and obedience as desirable traits in young women and where young men are taught that the perfect wife is a child-like creature who will always depend on his strength and wisdom.

Wow, as I was reading this, I realized i HAVE seen this movie. Interesting parallel.

Edited by Tabbygirl521

When I say challenged, I mean simply ugly. She is not at all a pretty or even cute baby.

I think the accountability for Internet may just be because of Joshy boy - that they did know what he had been doing.

The gay factor is interesting though - David Waller, Lawson Bates, Josiah Duggar - all of them give off a gay vibe. Some more than others. And they can never act on it unless they are preparted to lose it all.

I do fear for Priscilla, I still think she is fairly simple though. A nice person, yes, but not terribly smart. And she is trying her very best to be what she thinks she has to be.

Aye, I know that Lawson badly wants to be a Musician, but he simply doesn't cut it. He is mediocre at best. I do wonder how that "look at me, look at meeeeee" goes along with the proclaimed modesty.  Seems to be a contradiction to me.

As for Brandon Keilen, I have been wondering about him, it's fairly clear that Michaela is way more into him than he is into her, however, he seems to look content enough in the photos she's posting. She does seem the one to have drunk the kool-aid the most. Her sisters don't seem as much into it.

Something that did strike me, when they post their photos of their houses - although the decor is pretty and homely and I like it, it does seem a little juvenile. Think pink bedroom. The many signs proclaiming family, love, etc. They remind me of 14 year olds decorating and being excited over it.

• Love 6

I think the Bates kids go overboard with the cheesy decorating because they grew up dirt poor and this is the first time in their lives that they have halfway decent stuff. Erin's infamous Barbie Dreamhouse boudoir was the bedroom she never got to have as a child. I think it's a phase they'll outgrow eventually.

• Love 6

Well, her bedroom is now olive green, nice actually. Even with the pink, it was nice - just a wee bit childish. And that's something they all seem to share.

Of course, the Bateses didn't have the money the Duggars have, but having so many siblings obviously means that your personal taste has no room to develop

• Love 3

Priscilla just makes me sad. I truly hope she is ok. David gives off a super creepy abuser vibe, and my gaydar totally pings with him also. Like that dinner picture is just OFF. 

Also, I think Priscilla is pretty but in the dinner pic Im not digging her hair.

• Love 4

Something else that IMO, there's no question about whatsoever. David may or may not be gay, but either way he clearly has a crush on Josh. Or at least he did at one time.

• Love 1

Something else that IMO, there's no question about whatsoever. David may or may not be gay, but either way he clearly has a crush on Josh. Or at least he did at one time.

And whether gay or a man crush, that is still a defect in his world. Poor guy.

• Love 4

Didn't he more recently turn his maybe-loving eyes towards Ben?

Didn't know about the JoshCrush.

Wow David moves on quickly! He be a HO. I thought he only had eyes for his neighbor buddy that works for Gothard in Chicago? Correct me please if I'm wrong!!

• Love 1