Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Kids who dress up for Halloween don't go around thinking - I'm going to dress up like a demon this year!  No, they dress up as their favorite hero or Disney character  or cartoon character or movie hero.

My mom is super creative, and in the 70s & early 80s when we were in full up Halloween mode, she made my brother and me into some seriously scary, costume-contest winning demons, devils, vampires, you name it. It was so 180 degrees out for us, because we look straight out of Dick & Jane. People were always surprised that it was us under all the bloody gore. To this day, I lean toward the ebil stuff. It's so much FUN to be bad!

I don't know of any kid who would be delighted to get a tract in their Halloween candy. Curious maybe, but not excited.

These, and wheat pennies in cardboard. We'd laugh at the tracts. We were pretty grounded mainstream Protestant kids with friends from various religious backgrounds, but some of those things were funny to us in that people twisted religion around to make it fearsome and scary. Kinda like Halloween used to be, back in the day...WAY back in the day.
  • Love 5

The altered story of pecan gleaning shows just how far Davey will embellish to tell a story (or in his case, I guess he sees them as parables). He sure took out the part about the "jolly, black police officer" when he was rightfully criticized for his racist caricature.

Parables? I thought they were literalists.

• Love 1

The altered story of pecan gleaning shows just how far Davey will embellish to tell a story (or in his case, I guess he sees them as parables). He sure took out the part about the "jolly, black police officer" when he was rightfully criticized for his racist caricature.

I just purposed to read The Parable of the Pecan Grove as dreamed up by TFDW. He does love embellishing, doesn't he? Right down to posting public domain pix to "illustrate" his story. I think the only legit photo is the one of him and 'Cilla. He probably asked for it, thinking of the next blog post. And not to continue a racist stereotype, but since I learned of the policeman's description in the original post, all I could see was Reggie VelJohnson letting him off the hook.
  • Love 5

I just purposed to read The Parable of the Pecan Grove as dreamed up by TFDW. He does love embellishing, doesn't he? Right down to posting public domain pix to "illustrate" his story. I think the only legit photo is the one of him and 'Cilla. He probably asked for it, thinking of the next blog post. And not to continue a racist stereotype, but since I learned of the policeman's description in the original post, all I could see was Reggie VelJohnson letting him off the hook.

Well, I just made it through the whole Pecan Grove shebang and couldn't be any more skeeved-out and dismissive if I tried ! Just so, so much self-conscious, disingenuous, sophomoric crap ! It reminds me of people nowadays who post very flattering or sexy pictures of themselves with the caption "OMG ! How bad/fat/ugly do I look ?!?!" 

TFDW is not just fishing for compliments, he's mining for them. He thinks he's taken the "art" of the humble-brag to new heights, but I think we all see through him. I don't think this a sign of a falsely overdeveloped ego - I think it's a sign of the lack of one. Even in his position where he promotes homophobia and religious "superiority" I just see a small, scared, confused boy searching for approval in the eyes of everyone around him. 

Bonus points to you, Liz Tudor, for the Reggie VelJohnson reference - Oh, I loved my Family Matters (and Die Hard !) back in the day !!! And now I want a Twinkie...

Edited by SomePity1066
  • Love 8

I'm going out to breakfast this morning.  When I come back I'll use David's godly example and make up a story about how I converted the waiter/waitress or something. 

Can't wait. (I hope somebody sins or somebody is saved)

• Love 3

I'm going out to breakfast this morning.  When I come back I'll use David's godly example and make up a story about how I converted the waiter/waitress or something.

Don't forget to check the restrooms for transgender people (à la Jill Rodrigues).

• Love 5

The actress story begins "Over a hundred years ago." Wonder where TFDW got this tale to embellish. Is this really the best he can do?

I think it begins over a hundred years ago because I think I recall it (no, not like I was around that long, har har - like a story).  I can't recall exactly who told it but it was someone sedate (not necessarily "conservative, fundie, or weird") as a theologian, and I think it came attached to the classification that it belonged to a vaudeville type actress (well, it would have to by definition!). Clearly TFDW and his cohort aren't clever enough to modernize it or don't think anyone would believe it in the modern age.

She looks good "for a woman in her forties?" Awwwww, come on now.

Ah Im sorry, I had edited my statement a few times and meant it more like," for a woman in her forties with 19 kids" Didn't mean to come off like an ass!!! Apologies :-)

• Love 4

Reading the David Waller quotes here makes me wonder: no, SERIOUSLY, what is WRONG with this person??

His writings (as quoted here) make me think of Jethro Tull, "Aqualung" lyrics: "People, what have you done - locked Him in his golden cage; made Him bend to your religion. He, resurrected from the grave!- He's the God of nothing if that's all that you can see.

You are the god of everything - He's inside you and me! So, lean upon Him gently, and don't call on Him to save you from your social graces and the sins you used to waive. Confessing to the endless sins, your endless whining sounds - you'll be praying till next Thursday to all the gods that you can count."

It just seems so odd to me that a supreme being would want humans to constantly claim unworthiness, whine relentlessly about remorse, and then proceed to total humiliation begging, begging, begging for forgiveness - all just in the hopes of being 'saved'. Surely, better things are expected of us humans than to spend our lives in such egocentric constant contrition and piteous pleading.

So, really, what is WRONG with David Waller?

The answer is most likely somewhere in his childhood - and sorry to say, in Bill Gothard's.

• Love 6

I feel kind of sorry for David and Priscilla acting out their roles that they have been 'trained' to perform.  While she seems right out of her mind like she never matured past age 11 or 12, he seems to want to do his best in keeping it together.  Almost like if he just had a window of opportunity to release himself from his brainwashed past he'd be a decent person and kind.  While Priscilla I don't know if she would be anything at this point without her religious ecstasy in full swing all of the time.

I am applauding your assessment. I believe you have captured their one dimensional life view. The Wallers are such a sad waste of human potential, prisoners of their own devices. Seriously, I hoped for deeper critical thinking from my German Shepherd.

(Bolding above is mine...)

I've watched, unfortunately, several of the Priscilla videos on YouTube, and though I can't quite put my finger in it, I know, I just KNOW, that there's something definitely wrong there. How can there not be ? Her affect, or lack thereof, her searching the ceiling (or the inside of her eyelids) for the next word, which is usually just a repeat of "special", "precious", or  some such Gothardism, the gaping-mouth, scrunchy-face pauses, the odd cadence accompanied by periodic gasping - she reminds me of me when I had my wisdom teeth out and tried to convince my parents that I was invisible when I closed my eyes...

As for critical thinking, you have a German Shepherd and I have a Belgian Malinois, so we have two of the smartest, most trainable, intelligent breeds on the planet. Of course they can run rings around the likes of David and Prissy, literally and figuratively. 

• Love 10

I've watched, unfortunately, several of the Priscilla videos on YouTube, and though I can't quite put my finger in it, I know, I just KNOW, that there's something definitely wrong there. How can there not be ? Her affect, or lack thereof, her searching the ceiling (or the inside of her eyelids) for the next word, which is usually just a repeat of "special", "precious", or  some such Gothardism, the gaping-mouth, scrunchy-face pauses, the odd cadence accompanied by periodic gasping - she reminds me of me when I had my wisdom teeth out and tried to convince my parents that I was invisible when I closed my eyes...

As for critical thinking, you have a German Shepherd and I have a Belgian Malinois, so we have two of the smartest, most trainable, intelligent breeds on the planet. Of course they can run rings around the likes of David and Prissy, literally and figuratively. 

Pris was a preemie so I always chalk it up to that combined with David stressing her out with his distain.

• Love 3

Reading the David Waller quotes here makes me wonder: no, SERIOUSLY, what is WRONG with this person??

His writings (as quoted here) make me think of Jethro Tull, "Aqualung" lyrics: "People, what have you done - locked Him in his golden cage; made Him bend to your religion. He, resurrected from the grave!- He's the God of nothing if that's all that you can see.

You are the god of everything - He's inside you and me! So, lean upon Him gently, and don't call on Him to save you from your social graces and the sins you used to waive. Confessing to the endless sins, your endless whining sounds - you'll be praying till next Thursday to all the gods that you can count."

It just seems so odd to me that a supreme being would want humans to constantly claim unworthiness, whine relentlessly about remorse, and then proceed to total humiliation begging, begging, begging for forgiveness - all just in the hopes of being 'saved'. Surely, better things are expected of us humans than to spend our lives in such egocentric constant contrition and piteous pleading.

So, really, what is WRONG with David Waller?

I can't answer your question but just had to say that the fundyfamily thread in the Duggar forum was the LAST place on the internet i ever thought i would stumble upon the lyrics to Aqualung! Bravo!! Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 8

It just seems so odd to me that a supreme being would want humans to constantly claim unworthiness, whine relentlessly about remorse, and then proceed to total humiliation begging, begging, begging for forgiveness - all just in the hopes of being 'saved'.

Actually, in this case it doesn't seem odd to me at all. Whatever may be true of gods in general, this god was clearly created in man's own image. And not just in the image of men but in the image of men who were/are the "winners" in their isolated little social groups and are scared shitless that they may not be able to hold onto that position or that they'd be crushed if they stepped one inch away from their little isolated conclaves.

In other words, this is god built on the model of guys who are petty, tyrannical, vindictive, judgy, naggy, fearful, insecure, cursed with an insatiable craving for fawning adulation and not too bright.......  The Gothard, Doug Phillips, Geoff Botkin, Jim Bob Duggar (etc.) god.

And not healthy for children or other living things. Hence, David Waller and the rest.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

I believe Driscilla is without hope of ever leaving their fantasy world.  They know  of nothing else other than what they have been 'trained' to know and to be. Unless David's true longing for a genuine relationship of passion becomes too strong to resist.  At which point he would probably view it as an attack by Satan and sign himself into pray away camp somewhere.

In that pic of David, he bears quite a resemblance to Mary McDonough in her Erin Walton days.

Knowing David as we do I'm sure he would be extremely pleased with that compliment.  He did name his first daughter after himself.

• Love 6

I believe Driscilla is without hope of ever leaving their fantasy world.  They know  of nothing else other than what they have been 'trained' to know and to be. Unless David's true longing for a genuine relationship of passion becomes too strong to resist.  At which point he would probably view it as an attack by Satan and sign himself into pray away camp somewhere.

I agree. That's why I hope that they can continue to embrace their fantasy that the difficulty of their relationship has deeper meaning. Otherwise they'll have nothing and no refuge at all. Because they just don't seem to be people who will escape.

• Love 1

I can't answer your question but just had to say that the fundyfamily thread in the Duggar forum was the LAST place on the internet i ever thought i would stumble upon the lyrics to Aqualung! Bravo!!

Same here! Although there is another lyric snippet that might belong in the Josh thread...

• Love 1

I remember seeing Pris on a few Duggar shows, including the one where Jinger and Jessa went to a music thing in Chicago? and when Jana and JD were on a "mission" trip to SE Asia. In both Pris seemed to be a normal fun loving fundie. I believe that marriage to TFDW had a profound change in the poor girl.

One of the Bates girls is married to a son of Rep. Weber who is being considered for Speaker of the House. I am very afraid that he has a chance of getting it.

• Love 2

Even back in the early shows, Pris was having difficulty with shoes for one of the younger girls and her speech pattern was off.  It was easier for it not to be so obvious when talking about simpler concepts and for shorter lengths of time.

The stress of performing on video with/for David probably amps it up a few levels though.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

God gave David and I this verse: “Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice”

Oh Priscilla marriage will always be a sacrifice for you and David won't it.

I wish God would lay some grammar lessons on her heart. If these people insist on flooding the internets with their ... stuff, let it at least be well written.

• Love 7

I remember seeing Pris on a few Duggar shows, including the one where Jinger and Jessa went to a music thing in Chicago? and when Jana and JD were on a "mission" trip to SE Asia. In both Pris seemed to be a normal fun loving fundie. I believe that marriage to TFDW had a profound change in the poor girl.

One of the Bates girls is married to a son of Rep. Weber who is being considered for Speaker of the House. I am very afraid that he has a chance of getting it.

On the upside of the Rep. Weber situation, I saw a couple of articles this morning linking him to the Duggars,Gothard, IBLP, etc. Not in a favorable way! 

• Love 3

I've watched, unfortunately, several of the Priscilla videos on YouTube, and though I can't quite put my finger in it, I know, I just KNOW, that there's something definitely wrong there. How can there not be ? Her affect, or lack thereof, her searching the ceiling (or the inside of her eyelids) for the next word, which is usually just a repeat of "special", "precious", or some such Gothardism, the gaping-mouth, scrunchy-face pauses, the odd cadence accompanied by periodic gasping - she reminds me of me when I had my wisdom teeth out and tried to convince my parents that I was invisible when I closed my eyes...

I've long suspected that she has untreated speach apraxia.

• Love 1

Do we know anything about David Waller's family?  Parents?  Siblings?

You can find out a lot on the David loves Priscilla website.  The 'David's story' is upteen paragraphs long and pretty much goes into detail about his entire life.  I'd try to sum it up here but that may take a couple of hours.  He isn't short on words.  

• Love 4

You can find out a lot on the David loves Priscilla website. The 'David's story' is upteen paragraphs long and pretty much goes into detail about his entire life. I'd try to sum it up here but that may take a couple of hours. He isn't short on words.

Piggybacking to say:

Including the story of Isaac, Adam Waller's twin brother, who died and, instead of being flown home and being buried among family or in close proximity to family, was left in Mongolia to decompose alone for eternity.

• Love 1

Piggybacking to say:

Including the story of Isaac, Adam Waller's twin brother, who died and, instead of being flown home and being buried among family or in close proximity to family, was left in Mongolia to decompose alone for eternity.

He died on the plane to Korea, where his parents were living (I think), for treatment. They chose to bury him in Mongolia because he had been living there for a few years.
  • Love 1

In other words, this is god built on the model of guys who are petty, tyrannical, vindictive, judgy, naggy, fearful, insecure, cursed with an insatiable craving for fawning adulation and not too bright.......  The Gothard, Doug Phillips, Geoff Botkin, Jim Bob Duggar (etc.) god.

....and who hate and/or are scared of women.

• Love 9

You can find out a lot on the David loves Priscilla website.  The 'David's story' is upteen paragraphs long and pretty much goes into detail about his entire life.  I'd try to sum it up here but that may take a couple of hours.  He isn't short on words.  

He IS wordy! But his childhood sounded pretty good. Home schooled, but learning all sorts of things seemed important to the family, and work seemed to be a priority, too. Did you reach the part where the whole family worked extra jobs to pay for their mission work? Have they never heard of a donate button?

• Love 7

He IS wordy! But his childhood sounded pretty good. Home schooled, but learning all sorts of things seemed important to the family, and work seemed to be a priority, too. Did you reach the part where the whole family worked extra jobs to pay for their mission work? Have they never heard of a donate button?

Yes his childhood does seem very nice and they do value work over donations.  The thing that bothered me the most I think is that he was expected to share his journal with his parents - even into adulthood.  He didn't seem to be allowed private thought or to make his own decisions.  He really wanted to wait to age 28 (at least) to get married but was pushed into it by his parents.  I don't think he had a lot of true chances to be an individual with private thoughts or any contrary opinions.  Also Gothard was a big part of the family's influence and David seems to idolize both Gothard and the Duggars.  David tends to write with rose colored glasses and I think he strays from the truth pretty frequently (Halloween story for example).  

• Love 6

I don't think he had a lot of true chances to be an individual with private thoughts or any contrary opinions.  

Oh, I think he has a very healthy inner dialogue that he dare not commit to paper.  

• Love 7

Oh, I think he has a very healthy inner dialogue that he dare not commit to paper.  

He may. Or he may be the kind of person who squelches the hell out of that dialogue before it utters more than one syllable. Could go either way. If it's the first, I think he might eventually walk away, having realized some truths about himself and its incompatibility with his life. If it's the second, he may go nuts eventually from all the crap that's churning but nevertheless buried and squelched deep down in his mind.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

He may. Or he may be the kind of person who squelches the hell out of that dialogue before it utters more than one syllable. Could go either way. If it's the first, I think he might eventually walk away, having realized some truths about himself and its incompatibility with his life. If it's the second, he may go nuts eventually from all the crap that's churning but nevertheless buried and squelched deep down in his mind.

There's always the third way, in that the squelching of the dialogue causes his psyche to fracture and he has paranoid delusions and ends up being the subject of an episode of Criminal Minds.

(Or, I'm just waiting for one of these folks to "get a revelation" like those crazy Mormons who killed their sister-in-law and niece.)

• Love 2

There's always the third way, in that the squelching of the dialogue causes his psyche to fracture and he has paranoid delusions and ends up being the subject of an episode of Criminal Minds.

(Or, I'm just waiting for one of these folks to "get a revelation" like those crazy Mormons who killed their sister-in-law and niece.)

If only this weren't such a real possibility!