Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Chapter 28

So, Frank announces he's stealing from Dave in apparently the darkest room in the world and Claire is surprised to be confronted by patronizing questions by male senators as she tries to be confirmed for a job she's unqualified for, just because she wants it. If she wants to be treated with any respect in that job, and Frank wants the DNC leadership to go from asking him not to run in 2016, to begging him to, I think they both need to work on their charisma. I'm glad to see their hubris catch up with them.

Edited by LADreamr
  • Love 3

I'm glad to see their hubris catch up with them.

It was bound to eventually.   It is mostly though Frank and Claire not being on the same page.  Frank's approval rating is low and he is without his major buffer Doug.  He was always the backstabber now he is the one getting stabbed.  Claire always figured she's latch her wagon to Frank and she'd profit from it.  She always had until now.  The problem is First Lady isn't exactly the kind of position a woman like her actually wants.  Claire isn't without experience.  She knows her shit as the episode showed.  She did start a non-profit organization and she did help sponsor a bill in congress.  And she knows what she is talking about.  However she has two major marks against her.  She is the wife of a unpopular place holder (so far) president and she is a woman.    First Lady's aren't supposed to want to be all political.  

• Love 2

Why doesn't Doug use a glass?

He never went to College and learned what "doing shots" meant?

It is mostly though Frank and Claire not being on the same page.  Frank's approval rating is low and he is without his major buffer Doug.  He was always the backstabber now he is the one getting stabbed.  Claire always figured she's latch her wagon to Frank and she'd profit from it.  She always had until now.  The problem is First Lady isn't exactly the kind of position a woman like her actually wants.  Claire isn't without experience.  She knows her shit as the episode showed.  She did start a non-profit organization and she did help sponsor a bill in congress.  And she knows what she is talking about.  However she has two major marks against her.  She is the wife of a unpopular place holder (so far) president and she is a woman.    First Lady's aren't supposed to want to be all political.

Hillary Clinton is, what, 80 by now? It's not the 60's any longer, so the assumption about First Ladies just seems dated. I do like the fact  that, as in real life, Claire is presented alongside women who have achieved political success on their own. Of course, this being "House Of Cards" , everyone is pretty vile.

• Love 1

Of course, this being "House Of Cards" , everyone is pretty vile.

And the women, beautiful. I'm a bit distracted by Robin Wright's physical perfection, clothing, expensive haircut and makeup. As well as the impossibly chic (and emaciated) female Whip. I live and work in DC including time on the Hill and very few smart, powerful, hardworking women look like they do. The look of the secretary of state character is more realistic.

Also, Spacey's acting seems a bit more rote this season.

I also am wondering why Stamper is taking booze by syringe. Does he think it will help control his intake? Weird.

• Love 6

Same question about the syringe. Is thais something alcoholics actually do, and does it actually work (to have some control?)

Speculation (wild speculation): Claire will backstab Frank and throw herself as a candidate for president. And then she will probably have him stabbed 

• Love 5

So, Frank announces he's stealing from Dave in apparently the darkest room in the world and Claire is surprised to be confronted by patronizing questions by male senators as she tries to be confirmed for a job she's unqualified for, just because she wants it. If she wants to be treated with any respect in that job, and Frank wants the DNC leadership to go from asking him not to run in 2016, to begging him to, I think they both need to work on their charisma. I'm glad to see their hubris catch up with them.

I was getting more of a Bulworth vibe from this sequence. Gods help us if Underwood starts rapping. Still, Frank's plans are coming into place: He's going to be "Mr. Honest," hopefully become popular because of it, do his damndest behind the scenes to pick the weakest possible Democratic Presidential nominee, then backstab him right before the convention so he can be drafted as the new nominee (note how he didn't pull a Lyndon Johnson and say he wouldn't ACCEPT the nomination, only that he wouldn't SEEK it).

Also, I loved how Sen. Mendoza pushed her buttons during the hearings, then freely admitted to her later that he'd done just that to see if she'd lose her cool.

One BIG point that bugged: The Postal Revenue and Federal Salary Act of 1967 specifically prohibits a president from appointing any close relative (presumably this includes a spouse) to any job in the executive branch; this law was passed in belated response to JFK appointing his brother Bobby as Attorney General in 1961.

Hillary Clinton is, what, 80 by now? It's not the 60's any longer, so the assumption about First Ladies just seems dated. I do like the fact that, as in real life, Claire is presented alongside women who have achieved political success on their own. Of course, this being "House Of Cards" , everyone is pretty vile.

Hillary is "only" 67 years old. When she runs next year, she'll be younger than Ronald Reagan was when he ran in 1980.

I also am wondering why Stamper is taking booze by syringe. Does he think it will help control his intake? Weird.

I think it's so he can honestly say "No" when asked if he's been drinking; he hasn't actually been DRINKING any booze (although it's getting into his system nonetheless).

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 9

I was getting more of a Bulworth vibe from this sequence. Gods help us if Underwood starts rapping. Still, Frank's plans are coming into place: He's going to be "Mr. Honest," hopefully become popular because of it, do his damndest behind the scenes to pick the weakest possible Democratic Presidential nominee, then backstab him right before the convention so he can be drafted as the new nominee (note how he didn't pull a Lyndon Johnson and say he wouldn't ACCEPT the nomination, only that he wouldn't SEEK it).

Also, I loved how Sen. Mendoza pushed her buttons during the hearings, then freely admitted to her later that he'd done just that to see if she'd lose her cool.

One BIG point that bugged: The Postal Revenue and Federal Salary Act of 1967 specifically prohibits a president from appointing any close relative (presumably this includes a spouse) to any job in the executive branch; this law was passed in belated response to JFK appointing his brother Bobby as Attorney General in 1961.

Hillary is "only" 67 years old. When she runs next year, she'll be younger than Ronald Reagan was when he ran in 1980.

I think it's so he can honestly say "No" when asked if he's been drinking; he hasn't actually been DRINKING any booze (although it's getting into his system nonetheless).

I had no idea Hillary was so young! I didn't mean to cast aspersions on her youthfulness, only to point out that the Claire storyline is nothing new, in that the Clintons have been playing it out for decades. I imagine that there have been several dramas and'or comedies in which the fictional President was an ex-actor back when Reagan was a thing.

(edited)

I assumed it was to control his intake down to the milliliter but I hate that he left the needle on the end. You can still use the syringe without it! Or get the kind specifically intended for dispensing liquids like the ones at the pharmacy for kids.

Have we ever seen Claire and Francis have sex before? I mean with each other. And without anyone else there, too.

Except the secret service watching them from the control room and listening from the other side of the door.

On a minor note, I loved seeing Frank making his own PB&J.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Have we ever seen Claire and Francis have sex before?  I mean with each other.  And without anyone else there, too.

Speaking of which, can someone help me: where is their favorite boy toy? Can't remember his name 

He was there.  (I forget his name too.)  Claire told him she was going for a run and he had to scrounge up the SS detail to run with her.

I can't believe Frank's popularity will grow when he just told the country that he is slashing social security and medicare.  Sure, people want unemployment to drop but not at grandma's expense.

How soon before Frank and Claire realize they need Doug's help?  And how soon before he starts hitting the bottle for real?

• Love 3

When Bush had majorities in Congress, he couldn't PRIORITIZE Social Security, let alone gut it. In no universe could Frank pull off what he's suggesting, especially with a terrible approval rating.  That's one of the big weaknesses of House of Cards for me, despite the know-it-all tone, I don't think the show really understands Washington better than say, The West Wing. Frank's going to succeed because otherwise there's no show, not because of anything that's vaguely realistic. 

• Love 3

When Bush had majorities in Congress, he couldn't PRIORITIZE Social Security, let alone gut it. In no universe could Frank pull off what he's suggesting, especially with a terrible approval rating. That's one of the big weaknesses of House of Cards for me, despite the know-it-all tone, I don't think the show really understands Washington better than say, The West Wing. Frank's going to succeed because otherwise there's no show, not because of anything that's vaguely realistic.

Well, the show *is* called "House of Cards" after all, so I think it's reasonable to suspect that whatever heights or glories still lay in wait for the Underwoods... everything will ultimately fall to pieces.
  • Love 4

I actually thought he was going to inject himself with it, a la Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx in one of Motley Crue's more publicized incidents...

I thought so, too. 

Is Claire sick? Bulimic? What was the point of that final scene?

• Love 2

I thought so, too. 

Yeah it was strange.  I thought maybe it was nerves/a feeling of being overwhelmed that Frank actually agreed to her demands.  Like, oh shit, this is for real now and some (a lot of ) people are going to be pissed off. Or she got an ulcer from worrying so much about it? 

• Love 3

On most shows, a woman vomiting means she's pregnant 99% of the time. House of Cards prides itself on not being like other shows so I am 99% sure that Claire's puking isn't a sign of pregnancy. Ha, can you imagine their demon spawn though? Between nature and nurture, any kid they had would be destined to become a self appointed dictator.

• Love 5
(edited)

It's always my hugest pop culture pet peeve that every television show and movie feels the need to shove in a vomit scene, and in 90% of the time in my opinion, for no good reason.  It's for shock value in my opinion, so the writers can pretend they're Super Edgy.  I mean this one was more of the nonsensical ones I've ever seen.  And I've seen thousands.   If Claire's stupid gagging scene amounts to nothing, I'll be even angrier.

Have any of you vomited out of being anxious over something?  Or upset?!  I mean really.  And yet you'll see it in movies all the time.   The mark of a writer or director who cannot figure out how to display those emotions.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
(edited)

It's always my hugest pop culture pet peeve that every television show and movie feels the need to shove in a vomit scene, and in 90% of the time in my opinion, for no good reason.  It's for shock value in my opinion, so the writers can pretend they're Super Edgy.  I mean this one was more of the nonsensical ones I've ever seen.  And I've seen thousands.   If Claire's stupid gagging scene amounts to nothing, I'll be even angrier.

Vomiting scenes annoy me greatly and I view it as a slap in the face to the audience. I mean, who wants to see that other than maybe teenage boys of the Beavis and Butthead variety? Seriously. It's a trend that has been growing over the past decade.

Edited by riverclown
  • Love 7
(edited)

Have any of you vomited out of being anxious over something?  Or upset?!  I mean really.  And yet you'll see it in movies all the time.   The mark of a writer or director who cannot figure out how to display those emotions.

Actually, I have. :)  I also have a stomach issue that has me getting sick regularly, but that's supposed to be rare.

I was afraid they were going the cancer route. 

Edited by Anela

I think the fried eggs harken back to the Easter eggs somehow.   Could just be the English major in me.   Tthe Easter Egg lady said there were two special black eggs, one POTUS and one FLOTUS.   Then Claire breaks two eggs.

• Love 5
On most shows, a woman vomiting means she's pregnant 99% of the time. House of Cards prides itself on not being like other shows so I am 99% sure that Claire's puking isn't a sign of pregnancy

Plus, as she herself said, she's about to turn 50.

When Bush had majorities in Congress, he couldn't PRIORITIZE Social Security, let alone gut it. In no universe could Frank pull off what he's suggesting, especially with a terrible approval rating.  That's one of the big weaknesses of House of Cards for me, despite the know-it-all tone, I don't think the show really understands Washington better than say, The West Wing. Frank's going to succeed because otherwise there's no show, not because of anything that's vaguely realistic. 

The "you're entitled to nothing" speech would have thrown the nation into an uproar and had Frank's opponents calling for his head.    It was so over the top that I thought it might be one of Frank's asides where he admits, "that's what I wish I could say." 

• Love 4
When Bush had majorities in Congress, he couldn't PRIORITIZE Social Security, let alone gut it. In no universe could Frank pull off what he's suggesting, especially with a terrible approval rating.  That's one of the big weaknesses of House of Cards for me, despite the know-it-all tone, I don't think the show really understands Washington better than say, The West Wing. Frank's going to succeed because otherwise there's no show, not because of anything that's vaguely realistic.

It may be that HoC is going a little Boston Legal here, i.e. it isn't so much meant to be realistic as it is channeling the view of someone behind the show. No, real life wouldn't work this way, but you could argue that it should. I actually enjoy that take on the show. It further exposes the foolishness of our political system - including many of the voters.

• Love 1

I thought so, too. 

Imo, the last two seasons have very quietly shown that Claire has a problematic relationship with food. The way she handles food feels like an demonstration of control/power. Whereas Frank tends to just shove whatever is around in his mouth. I've noticed that how she responds to triumph/failures directly impacts what she eats, if she eats, etc. 

• Love 1

The music during the sex scene was hilarious.  It was like they were conceiving Damien.  I think the drama could have be dialled down a little, there.

I'm an over-analysing Eng Lit major and the eggs still confused the bejesus out of me.

Doug and the syringe is about control and self-delusion.  He's drinking again, and has therefore lost control - but can pretend he still has it by consuming alcohol in this controlled, measured, clinical way.  He can also pretend that he's not drinking, not really - he never pours himself a glass, or savours the taste.  We are capable of the most fantastic mental contortions when it comes to self-delusion and self-destructive behaviour.

I kind of like Mendoza.

• Love 6
(edited)

Mendoza is a great character. I like the way he baited Claire into losing her temper on national television.

Also, what happened to Remy this season? He is way too nice and docile! And since when was Jackie dating or married to the white guy? I thought she was dating Remy last season?

The sex scene was creepy to say the least. Wasn't Claire having an affair with the young bodyguard anyway? And isn't Frank gay? Don't see the point of them having sex unless Claire becomes pregnant later in the season.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 2

My impression was Frank and Claire both had sex with Meecham.  It was one of the creepier plots last season, the way they basically groomed him thru multiple episodes.  I didn't even see what they were doing until they all tumbled into bed together and then traced back the set up (and shuddered).  Clever writing.  

I think the point was, for lack of a better term, re-establishing the pair bond.  They've always been shown as close and intimate, planning and plotting together, but not as sexually connected although that would certainly be part of their relationship - not a major part but part.  I've always gotten the message that Frank plays for both teams and that Claire is cool with that.

• Love 3

On a minor note, I loved seeing Frank making his own PB&J.

But he didn't clean up!

I thought the point of Claire cracking the eggs in the pan was a reference to breaking eggs to make an omelet.  I think Frank may be the egg.

• Love 1

How on earth is Frank Underwood a Democrat? In what universe would a Democrat say he wants to gut Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid because they're bankrupting the country? And constantly referring to them as entitlements and not the social safety net? I'm sorry, but he's completely a Republican! Not even a conservative Democrat could talk like that!

Does Beau Willimon seriously not know what Democrats stand for or what's in their party platform? He needs to do some research, because I think I know more about Democratic politics than he does. Seriously, why isn't Frank just a flat out Republican?

• Love 2

But his Amworks plan is total big government, something no Republican would ever get behind. In current real-life American politics Underwood would be untenable as either a Republican or a Democrat. I'm having trouble with it, too, but I think we have to accept HOC as an alternative political universe.

• Love 2

I kind of like Mendoza.

I do too. He's smart, and his baiting of Claire was at root patriotic, because it tried to expose an unqualified person as unqualified.

But I have a feeling we're not supposed to like him. And I hate when I sense that a show wants me to feel differently from how it's making me feel. The season so far is not in control of its effects.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

I like Mendoza. I cant tell if we are supposed to like him or not, but I do. 

My God, can the president not afford lighting? I cant see anything half the time! Not that I want to watch Claire and Frank bone though. Its just weird. They're like robots trying to recreate the moves of the human. 

The entitlement speech would have gotten a HUGE backlash, but I do kind of like the idea that Frank is just doing whatever he wants, even though he has like 15 agendas going. 

Claire has always had a weird thing with food. I wonder she ever was bulimic, or is now. 

I've never gotten that impression from her - although I would imagine that she's keep an eye on her diet in order to maintain her image.  Are there other food moments I've missed?

I think Claire was vomiting because she's disgusted that she had to demand a recess appointment (instead of getting Senate approval on her own merits).

As for the eggs...weird symbol for the Underwoods, but they definitely hammered us with eggs. Black eggs. Cracked eggs. Two eggs together in a frying pan. Probably not a harbinger of goodness & light?

Frank has got to be the world's most virile stud. Here he is, utterly defeated, in a state of complete emotional collapse, weeping on the floor, and Claire walks in and in the space of no more than 20 seconds he manages to get horny, achieve an erection and have intercourse. Either that or he was blubbering on the floor with a raging hard-on all ready to go.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

What I found weird and just a little bit disgusting about the sex scene was that Claire had just come back from running.  And then she just hops on top of Frank.  At least take a quick shower first.  Yikes.

I think Claire vomiting was her not actually wanting to go through with more scheming.  But she wanted to just make the impression that she did, so she made that big speech, expecting/hoping Frank would say no its not the time or whatever excuse he could have made.  But when he actually agreed, Claire had a "Oh shit" look on her face, right before she puked.  

I had no idea Hillary was so young! I didn't mean to cast aspersions on her youthfulness, only to point out that the Claire storyline is nothing new, in that the Clintons have been playing it out for decades. I imagine that there have been several dramas and'or comedies in which the fictional President was an ex-actor back when Reagan was a thing.

What have the Clintons been doing for decades?  Hillary didn't have an official position when Bill was president.  She had a volunteer chair of a White House task force creating a health care proposal.  That's completely different from holding an official position like Ambassador to the U.N.

What have the Clintons been doing for decades?  Hillary didn't have an official position when Bill was president.  She had a volunteer chair of a White House task force creating a health care proposal.  That's completely different from holding an official position like Ambassador to the U.N.

I did not mean to imply that every single component of the Underwoods' story was exactly the same as that of the Clintons. For example, the Underwoods do not have a child. I meant that the Clinton Story has been with us in the U.S. for decades and involves Bill ising to power amid various scandals, with Hillary following in his footsteps in order to have "her turn" at the Oval, with a less-than-stellar stint as Secretary Of State along the way. The Claire Story this season seemed very much in that vein.