Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

I will gladly trade Monotone Marci Miller for a triumphant Kate return any day.

MMM made the show unwatchable for most of the past two years.  One of the few times she showed any glow/charm/interest was on the Halloween Show, when she gave birth to AndreBaby.

MMM doesn't get all the blame.  The writing/plotting didn't help.  

34 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Wow, I am actually super irate over those being the top 3. Particularly Stefan being second. Gross. And I don't even hate Stefan!

Sadly, the actor was apparently hired with an unheard-of 3/episode a week guarantee for the GH castoff.   It's too bad the writers opted to keep him as a DiMera and not use those episodes to unravel the fraud he likely is.  That could have made his time in Salem more tolerable.

What this list also shows is the problem the show has had for a decade or so -- a handful of characters are tied into an ongoing storyline and they do not interact outside that grouping.  Cast integration and balance are always winners.  Certainly the producers know that.  They just have not figured out how to manage that outcome using the current taping schedule/structure.

• Love 6

Agreed.  Maybe the producers will give up this "find a former star from another show, invent a previously unheard-of relative, and make him a bad guy" trope.  It failed with Vincent Irizarry as Deimos K and it has failed with Tyler Christopher.   The show has a rich history of evil-doers outside the DiMera family.  That's where to look for future anti-heroes.

• Love 4

There is a new DOOL App.  Here's the spiel on it:

NEWS: breaking news from the set, first casting news, weekly previews, sneak peeks, and tune in alerts for can’t-miss episodes!

VIDEO VAULT: get exclusive access to your favorite classic clips from DAYS history!

PHOTOS: candid cast photos, first look images, and behind-the-scenes looks at what’s taping now!

RECAPS: weekly recaps with cast members of the past week’s storylines. Get up to date on any shows you missed and dive into what’s airing now!

CAST CONNECT: in each cast member’s personal section, find out everything you always wanted to know about your favorite Days star— from their profile, their social media handles, to video updates of what’s happening in Salem and in their real lives!

BACKSTAGE: exclusive behind-the-scenes videos with the cast!

ARCADE: experience fun trivia, quizzes, and polls about your favorite storylines and characters from now and then!

ASK DOOL: an interactive fan Q&A section with cast and crew. You got questions, and we got answers!

APP NOTIFICATIONS: instant updates on the go, never miss Days’ biggest moments!

About The DOOL App:

The DOOL App was developed by Corday Productions. It is the show’s first dive-in to the digital realm and a first-of-its-kind for a daytime drama series. The creative team behind the app include, Creative Director Greg Meng, Content Producer Michael Fairman, Director of Communications and Strategic Initiatives Maya Frangié, and the digital app development team Tyson Parsons and Lien Gray with Media Bridge Marketing.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The little boy who plays Thomas's Twitter account (obviously run by a parent or an agent) has been tweeting a lot of appreciation for Marci Miller today.

Yes, Marci Miller tweeted that today was her last day....sounds like she has other projects lined up...

• Love 2

So Ari Zuker is coming back again ? These returns are not cute-they are jarring. How can the audience get invested in the story if they don't know if the actor is sticking around ?

But if it's just temporary, Nicole needs to come take Eric away for a few months. Eric has ALWAYS been a judgemental, self righteous, hypocritical douche, but he's been on overdrive lately and I am so over him. No offense to Greg Vaughn, but Eric needs a nice long vacation away from Salem. I don't even watch every day and I am DONE unless he gets over himself quickly.

• Love 1

I am kind of hoping Eric falls off the wagon and goes away to rehab and the Nicole visits are in his dreams or as her ghost. I was  over her the last time she left, as well, and I don't really need or want Nicole back. IMO it's time to let a death "stick" in Salem for a change. Might as well start with her.

That said-I don't really dislike Eric, just his behavior. I can enjoy him when his volume is at a normal level and he isn't trying to choke someone to death and isn't passing judgement on someone. Which these days-let's face it-that's like 0% of the time.

• Love 1

Daytime Confidential has Camila Banus as their female entertainer of the year.

I agree.

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2018/12/29/top-10-female-soap-opera-entertainers-of-2018#&gid=ci023b99df60012437&pid=camila-banus

And Greg Vaughn as male entertainer of the year.

https://daytimeconfidential.com/2018/12/29/top-10-male-soap-opera-entertainers-of-2018#&gid=ci023b9c22300027e7&pid=greg-vaughan

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 6
On 12/27/2018 at 10:07 AM, IWantCandy71 said:

So Ari Zuker is coming back again ? These returns are not cute-they are jarring. How can the audience get invested in the story if they don't know if the actor is sticking around 

The show survived for decades before folks knew the comings-and-goings.  If anything, the last 20 years of DOOL has taught us that no one really ever goes away permanently. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

The show survived for decades before folks knew the comings-and-goings.  If anything, the last 20 years of DOOL has taught us that no one really ever goes away permanently. 

Some of them should, though. The show doesn't seem to have an investment in Nicole. She has no family there, and no one who really cares other than Eric, Chloe, Brady and Maggie. I still think her death should stick. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

But that's also the rub. How can viewers take any sad occasion seriously if, not even a year later, it's "Oh, he/she is alive, after all!" The only time consequences or events stick now is if something in real life happens.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Zucker is a great actress and has great chemistry with the cast. They're smart to keep her around.

Well it was her choice in the first place to leave, so I don't blame the show for that.

• Love 4

Michael Fairman's Best and Worst of soaps, 2018:

Best Soap - Days

Best Soapmaker - Ron Carlivati

Best Actress - tie, Maura West, GH, Marci Miller, Days

Best Single Performance by an Actor - Chandler Massey, Will gets his memory back.

Best Performance By a Long Running Actor, Male - Drake Hogestyn.

Best Ensemble Performance - Eric Martsolf, Martha Madison, Alison Sweeney, Greg Vaughan, Drake Hogestyn – Marlena’s family says goodbye at her hospital bedside

Best Younger Actress - Victoria Konefal

Best Scene Stealer, Male - Greg Rikaart

Best Scene Stealer, Female - Judi Evans as Bonnie Lockhart

Character who deserved the biggest bitch slap - Gabi Hernandez (I so disagree)

Best couple - tie - Ben and Ciara, Will and Sonny (yeah, no on the latter one)

Best Wedding - John and Marlena (when she got shot)

Best Recast Female - Stacy Haiduk, Kristen and Susan

Best Return by an Actor - Robert Scott Wilson

Best Return by an Actress - Kate Mansi (yeah, no)

Best Return by an Actress in a Limited Run - Alison Sweeney

Most Heart-Tugging Exit - Paul says goodbye to John

Best Stand-Alone Episode - Halloween, Days

Best Writing - Days

Worst Storyline - Theresa's Mexico story

Most Underutilized Character - tie, Alexis Davis, GH, Kate Roberts, Days

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Sheri Anderson's title in the credits has been changed from creative consultant to script writer.  Is there any significance in that?

She gets to write more by putting words in the actors' mouths and she wrote some awesome scripts so far.  The characterizations of John and Marlena were all Sherry and I even hate to say it even Cin had some Sherry vibes.  She and Quan were there to help Ron with characterization and history of the show since he did not have a history of the show like he had with One Life to live.  I think that he gets the show somewhat and does not need them as much.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

She gets to write more by putting words in the actors' mouths and she wrote some awesome scripts so far. 

Do you think that's why we're getting some characters having thought-provoking conversations recently?  I was surprised how involved I got in Ciara and Abigail's conversation, and I'm not much of a fan of either character.  It was like the characters actually got to use their minds to a greater degree, rather than the fluff that the show usually relies on.  

• Love 7
1 minute ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Do you think that's why we're getting some characters having thought-provoking conversations recently?  I was surprised how involved I got in Ciara and Abigail's conversation, and I'm not much of a fan of either character.  It was like the characters actually got to use their minds to a greater degree, rather than the fluff that the show usually relies on.  

Yes, that is Sherry... 

• Love 6

It seems like nobody actually leaves Days. I see Nicole and she just died. LOL!!! It's like a revolving door. Also, with the 6 months taping schedule you hear someone is leaving. Then 6 months later they leave. Then later you hear someone is returning but the taping schedule doesn't have them air for another 6 months. Getting paid must suck on Days. I think soap actors don't get paid until their work airs. With Days that could be 6 months to a year. LOL!!! #55.

• Love 1

See, I'm of two minds with this, because yes, actors are human beings with feelings, but they are also in a profession where they have willingly put themselves out on TV to be watched and commented on.  I have no doubt that if the tweet had been complimentary, Linsey Godfrey would have eaten up the praise.  Either learn to ignore the haters or stay off social media, those are your only two options.

And I don't think LG is doing herself any favors with this, because she's going to come off looking like the bully, the tv actress going after the little guy.  She has all of the power, she's the one gainfully employed by a network and she has every reason to want the show to succeed and any negative publicity will reflect badly on her.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

See, I'm of two minds with this, because yes, actors are human beings with feelings, but they are also in a profession where they have willingly put themselves out on TV to be watched and commented on.  I have no doubt that if the tweet had been complimentary, Linsey Godfrey would have eaten up the praise.  Either learn to ignore the haters or stay off social media, those are your only two options.

And I don't think LG is doing herself any favors with this, because she's going to come off looking like the bully, the tv actress going after the little guy.  She has all of the power, she's the one gainfully employed by a network and she has every reason to want the show to succeed and any negative publicity will reflect badly on her.

Yep.  What Kitmerlot1213 said.  You don't get to have it both ways.

• Love 4

Hmmm I am actually fine with what LG said in the tweet. She has the freedom and right to that and those shouldn't be taken away with her being in the acting profession. Plus, soap actors are at the lower half of pyramid, so I don't see this as her going after the little guy.  

• Love 5
14 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That being said though, why do people tag actors when they hate on them? By all means, hate away; I love hating on actors, especially here lol, but I wouldn't tag them.

Oh yes, I agree.  I mean, I think Kate Mansi is one of the worst actors on Days, but I would never tweet that directly to her, that's being deliberately mean;

That's why I think people in show business need to either grow the thickest skin in the world or ignore negative tweets and just focus on their adoring fans.  Social media will rip them apart if they're not careful.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 7

I have to agree with the posts above. When she said “how’d you like if if we went to your job and criticized you?” That literally happens to like 90% of us 😂 if you work in the service industry, retail, performing arts, even health care and education you have to deal with strangers being rude, presumptuous, or critical all the time! I work in grocery and it’s very rare but I’ve been insulted blatantly to my face or have people toss items on the floor or counter and instruct me to pick it up and been grabbed on the arm or hugged or had my head patted like a child. 

She may see a stranger say on Twitter her acting stinks or her character sucks but she’s delusional if she thinks her situation is some how worse or different, most get bashed on the job or deal with clueless dickheads once in a while.

• Love 6

When she said "how’d you like if if we went to your job and criticized you?", I think she is referring to the hypocrisy of those people. They'd shift gears when their logic is used against them. 

I really have no problem with actors speak out regardless of their status, wealth and power. Yes there are times their thoughts aren't really bright like everybody else (e.g. voter-shaming, slamming labels), but imagine how our society would function if no one speaks out. Harvey Stein continues to roam freely and there'd never be MeToo Movement to raise awareness of sexual assault and exploration. If we go further, we'd never get women's suffrage, labor rights, civil right movement, minority rights and desegregation etc.

I don’t think being offended if some says you’re a bad actor or weird looking is on the same level as defending sexual agency or civil rights. As rude as it is people are allowed to think you aren’t talented or attractive. I wouldn’t say what she’s doing is on the level of human rights activism. 

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I don’t think being offended if some says you’re a bad actor or weird looking is on the same level as defending sexual agency or civil rights. As rude as it is people are allowed to think you aren’t talented or attractive. I wouldn’t say what she’s doing is on the level of human rights activism. 

Well said, Petunia13.

• Love 2