Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Sony must have really cut the Days budget for Corday to sue them. I will say they always seemed to be on the ropes come renewal time whereas Y&R was always a given. B&B does well internationally to offset cost and ABC basically owns GH and is their (sorta) crown jewel. I don’t see this ending well. I guess it’s up to Corday to prove his claim. I’m too dumb to see how he does this or what proof he has. Overall, Y&R has been #1 for over 25 years which I’ve never understood. I always felt it was due to the time slot. It should be fun to see how long this current renewal last in light of the lawsuit.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I have a feeling this won't end well.

I agree.  For the first time in years, I now believe the show won't make it to Season 60.  Sony's deep pockets can't be matched by many.  Even if Sony was only tossing pocket change, it's more than NBC Universal will spend.  The money spent on the DOOL APP seems to be money well-spent, but I suspect that Corday Productions will either tank due to legal costs or, if they win a bundle, walk away and close shop once and for all.

I wonder how the cast must be feeling. Were there rumblings of this for a while? Did SN suspect..?

IF they're able to get away from SONY, who the heck is going to pick this show up and run with it? Could it still run on NBC if it's being backed by some other entity?

On 2/12/2019 at 4:21 AM, DisneyBoy said:

IF they're able to get away from SONY, who the heck is going to pick this show up and run with it? Could it still run on NBC if it's being backed by some other entity?

NBC is starting up its own "netflix-y" type service, sort of a hybrid between the current NBC APP and CBS All-Access.  I actually enjoy watching the show via the APP. I feed it right to my 55-inch TV via appleTV.  Less commercials. No whirling graphics hyping other NBC programs and obscuring half of the screen for 20 seconds.  Credits you can actually read. No local news interruptions. 

Maybe DOOL heads there?  

Universal has always seemed barely interested in promoting the show.  Comcast has billions, but doesn't spend them.  I haven't been to the NBC site in awhile, but I know they were still using a still shot of Bo and Hope as their main icon as recently as early 2018.

Diplomatic. Totally avoided the "he's a serial killer being redeemed" part...because really, what could he say? He's not about to speak out against Corday or Ron. This show has a disgusting history of women marrying their rapists so Ciara falling in love with a serial killer really isn't much different than any of that.

Honestly, I don't really know how these actors put up with some of the crap that they're forced to peddle. My stomach turns when I think about some of the messages viewers have received over the decades about what's romantic, and what's expected of each gender. This show, sadly, isn't too concerned with the morality of the stories it tells.

("Morality" generally being open to interpretation, but you know what I mean.)

• Love 5

It's kind of unfortunate that the chemistry happened between the actors, since one character is a serial killer, but Days has had such a hard time of throwing couples together and hoping chemistry develops and it doesn't, that they would have been crazy not to go with Cin.  My concern, other than the fact that Ben is a serial killer, is that Victoria Konefal is a really good actress, and will probably want to leave Days to pursue other acting roles once her contract is up. Hopefully they can work something out so they can keep her on the show, but also give her the time off she might need to film other projects. 

As for the "crap that they're forced to peddle", I kept thinking that every time Ted was onscreen following Hope around like a lovestruck puppy dog.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, buffynut said:

It's kind of unfortunate that the chemistry happened between the actors, since one character is a serial killer, but Days has had such a hard time of throwing couples together and hoping chemistry develops and it doesn't, that they would have been crazy not to go with Cin.  My concern, other than the fact that Ben is a serial killer, is that Victoria Konefal is a really good actress, and will probably want to leave Days to pursue other acting roles once her contract is up. Hopefully they can work something out so they can keep her on the show, but also give her the time off she might need to film other projects. 

As for the "crap that they're forced to peddle", I kept thinking that every time Ted was onscreen following Hope around like a lovestruck puppy dog.

Chemistry is not enough for me. The couples have to make sense in a way that they are both elevated by them being a couple. Ejami  had wonderful chemistry, I would even say that they had more chemistry than Lumi and I say this as a big Lumi fan. However, Ejami did too much ugly stuff to each other to ever justify them being a couple in my eyes.  I know that Lumi did awful things to each other but, it was much different. The show took years to get Lumi to see each other as romantic partners after years of acrimony. They went from friends to bitter enemies over Will. Then, they started to fall for each other after Sami's accident that left her mute.  They were both disgusted and in denial by their growing feelings for each other. They fought it with every fiber of their being with Will scheming to get his parents together. The show was also laying the groundwork of Will being a wonderful mixture of his parents.  I never brought the narrative that Will had low self-esteem, passive and weak; he showed lots of grit and ingenuity as Lumi's son but, I digress.  Eventually, Lumi genuinely fell for each other.   Luke and Laura also had electric chemistry, but, I cannot ever get past the fact that Luke raped Laura. A serial killer getting love and happiness is not my idea of love in the afternoon. For me, serial killers are on the same level as pedophiles, they destroy innocent lives for their own perverse pleasures..  Since anything goes now, Is Ron going to have us feel love and sympathy for a pedophile? No thanks!  If he is nice looking with nice abs, he will surely do that like he has done with Ben. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Chemistry is not enough for me.

I totally understand.  I also couldn't get past Luke raping Laura, despite how insanely popular they became.

I wasn't watching Days during Ejami, and only saw the very end before he was shot, so can't comment on them. And didn't see any of Lumi.

As for Ben, it's complicated. And it is a soap.  If it was the real world, I'm sure my opinion would be totally different.

• Love 6

I think chemistry is important and sure it changes things, but the writing should not be so heavy handed. If this couple's chemistry is so spectacular, they shouldn't need other character written out of character or ruined in order to facilitate their "love story". Will and Sonny are a great comparison here, and even though I'm not a fan of the couple (only of the character of Will), when Paul was still on the canvas he wasn't ruined or written out of character in order to prop them up for the audience. If anything, they were clearly written as the guilty parties and I would even go as far as saying the writing wasn't even to make the audience sympathetic towards them at the time. When it comes to Ben/Ciara reworking other characters seems to be the theme with them, and it is tiresome since we have already been through this Chad and Abigail and look where that got them, written into the literal ground.

VK is for sure leaving, all the other younger actors do, since being on a soap long term comes with a bad reputation, and allows for zero to no free time for other projects, other than the rare quick indie movie when your storyline is stagnant. Like Camila, Casey, Chandler, Freddie, Kate, ORK, LA; she'll surely be the next to go. If DAYS would work around their schedules, a lot of the actress/actors would still be there, but they don't. 

• Love 5

I'm sure VK is lovely in real life but I just can't with her hair.  It's so THICK.  I've seen other pictures of her and it's a style they've chosen for the show.  Honestly, it makes it hard for me to pay attention to her acting. Anyway... I can see how she's getting the 'rush' from publicity -- and that it will encourage her to move on.  It's a fickle business.   

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I love her hair. It's the best thing about her for me lol.

😂 poTAYto, poTAHto — one person’s bane is another’s blessing.  

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2

That's unfortunate about Sheri Anderson leaving.  There were some episodes awhile back that felt like I was watching a totally different show with the way the characters talked to each other, and with a little help I assumed they were penned by her.  I haven't seen anything like that lately, so I wondered if there had been or would be a parting of the ways.

So was working with Corday and Carlivati that frustrating, or were they no longer interested in her style?   

Edited by enchantingmonkey
typing error
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

There were some episodes awhile back that felt like I was watching a totally different show with the way the characters talked to each other, and with a little help I assumed they were penned by her.

Yes.  I was thinking that maybe DOOL really had improved.  The scripts were terrific.  So of course she'd leave just as I check back in.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Billy and Marci were on Dishin' Days yesterday (which he totally dominated) and he said that he was going through substance abuse several months ago, but claims to have gotten through it.

I saw recaps of the Dishin' Days on Daytime Royalty in the Social Media thread for wk of Feb 18th before the debate on who is the better Abby. BF, along with the addiction drama, also spoke about the contract situation, in which he re-signed to stay to October 2018 but KM wouldn't/couldn't stay that long so they shortened his extension so that they both left in July. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I guess I will never get a scene with Don greeting Marlena and Marlena saying, Don, where have you been? and for Don to say, I went to get the mail, lol..  Longtime viewers would remember that is how Don was written out of the show, he went to get the mail and was never seen again.  I could actually see Ron writing a scene like that.

Don/Marlena was a popular pairing back in the day and it is a testament to the character of Marlena that she had had 3 popular pairings throughout her time on the show.. The writing was awesome back then. Don/Marlena ended because they had both changed and no longer worked as a couple. They parted as friends and would always remain special to one another. Don was such a big fan of Roman and Marlena.  His scene with Marlena after Sami and Eric were born was such a beautiful scene..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

Here's a great clip of C.C. and his son Mason (who was actually his alter, Sonny Sprocket - and played by Lane Davies, who was Evan Whyland on Days, so it applies still!) trapped in the wine cellar:

• Love 3

I always liked Jed. He was terrific on SB. And I really didnt like that the character of Don never got any closure on Days. Also Jed played Steve Sanders dad on 90210. Sad week for the 90210 cast between Jed and Luke Perry's passing 😢

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I didn't like when Jeb was hired to play as Edward Quartermaine on GH because he was much too healthy for the role.

But trust me when I say, even though he was not the original actor in the role (he was actually #4), Jed Allan was the definitive C.C. Capwell on Santa Barbara.

• Love 6

Before there was Roman Brady and John Black there was Don Craig. Jed Allan was super good looking without looking like a runway model. He was a real cool dude with a sense of humor and awesome curly hair. Don & Marlena were huge. All of the sudden he was written out after 14 years. It’s still talked about today how random his exit was (mailing a letter) and, he was never heard or talked about again. I know he was good on SB but he was a star on Days. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Deidre Hall just posted:

We’ve lost one of the really good ones. It’s been decades since I stepped on to the NBC sound stage to screen test for Marlena on Days of our Lives. I was given a 4-page scene to memorize and perform with Days’ dashing bachelor, Don Craig, played confidently by Jed Allan. Jed made it all look easy with his dark good looks, deep resonant voice, a naughty twinkle, boisterous laugh and his characteristic swagger. He used his charismatic charm to win audiences as well as cast and crew. He never tired of my lack of experience and taught by example. He was deeply devoted to his sons and his darling wife Toby. When he lost her, we weren’t sure how he’d go on, but go on he did. Jed was a giant in so many ways, witnessed by the huge emptiness he leaves behind.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Before there was Roman Brady and John Black there was Don Craig. Jed Allan was super good looking without looking like a runway model. He was a real cool dude with a sense of humor and awesome curly hair. Don & Marlena were huge. All of the sudden he was written out after 14 years. It’s still talked about today how random his exit was (mailing a letter) and, he was never heard or talked about again. I know he was good on SB but he was a star on Days. 

Then Roman got tossed aside for John in the end. I didn't watch Don/Marlena but I did like JA as Steve's dad on 90210.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Then Roman got tossed aside for John in the end. I didn't watch Don/Marlena but I did like JA as Steve's dad on 90210.

True. But Wayne Northrop left again (only to return as a retcon hubby BEFORE Don, best left forgotten). Had he remained as Roman, I'm not sure the triangle would not have kept circling around. Think the never-ending mess on a soap I never watched but knew of for a decade or two thanks to SOD: Brooke/Ridge/Taylor on The Bold and the Beautiful.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

True. But Wayne Northrop left again (only to return as a retcon hubby BEFORE Don, best left forgotten). Had he remained as Roman, I'm not sure the triangle would not have kept circling around. Think the never-ending mess on a soap I never watched but knew of for a decade or two thanks to SOD: Brooke/Ridge/Taylor on The Bold and the Beautiful.

Yeah Don's exit sounds rather crappy however its probably for the best considering how so many characters I like have ended up shells of their former selves at least Don was remembered as a decent character who didn't end up like that.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yeah Don's exit sounds rather crappy however its probably for the best considering how so many characters I like have ended up shells of their former selves at least Don was remembered as a decent character who didn't end up like that.

I think another long-time character, Dr. Neil Curtis (Sarah's bio dad), also did a fade. Ironic that both he and Don shared a wife in Gloria Loring's Liz Chandler. Maybe she was a curse. LOL!

Seriously, though, with the hacks left writing the remaining soaps (into the ground), maybe even no exit is indeed a good one. Keep the fond memories with no chance of screwing the older characters over.

• Love 4

Truth be told I was always surprised that they never brought Don back during one of the Jarlena divorces.  Even more surprised that we didn't get an adult DJ brought back to the show.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, willgracefan said:

This week I couldn’t help but notice how tan most of the actors are. The six month ahead taping schedule is so strange...

Kyle Lowder's self tanner is really distracting. It looks so unnatural like the dark shiny kind body builders use.

• LOL 2
15 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Kyle Lowder's self tanner is really distracting. It looks so unnatural like the dark shiny kind body builders use.

Yeah, I noticed everyone looked very refreshed and relaxed looking. It’s funny I was counting back the months while watching the show to figure out when they had taped. Yes, my life is that exciting. It must be weird for the cast to be so far ahead. Right now, they are taping stuff that will air in September. Also, Kyle Lowder basically has tanorexia. He really stands out during the “winter” scenes. That said, Salem really doesn’t really do winter. Most of the woman sit in Salem Square without coats and light clothing. The daytime budget for Days must really be bad. They can’t even afford winter coats anymore. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Most of the woman sit in Salem Square without coats and light clothing. The daytime budget for Days must really be bad. They can’t even afford winter coats anymore. 

Salem Town Square is an indoor shopping  area with a glass dome. So they don't really need coats.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Truth be told I was always surprised that they never brought Don back during one of the Jarlena divorces.  Even more surprised that we didn't get an adult DJ brought back to the show.

Didn't DJ die I've seen some marlena and Don stuff on YT a few years ago there son death of SIDS was a sad story.