Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

On 6/14/2019 at 2:53 PM, Vixenstud said:

While never a fan of Carrie, CC looks great and she has beautiful girls.

The show has done a really good job of casting Marlena's children and grandchildren as looking like a cohesive, believable family. They've been similarly good with Hope's children. (Looks-wise, in any event.)

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I would have loved to have seen Kim's reaction to Victor at Caroline's funeral, given the turbulent history between Kim, Caroline and Victor.  Victor did say if he cannot have the mother(Caroline), he will have the daughter in reference to Kim.. Ron could have waited to have Patsy back for Caroline's funeral..

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Ron could have waited to have Patsy back for Caroline's funeral..

Maybe he wanted to get some real reaction on tape at the time of Peggy's death...and wanted to do it in a timely manner. And maybe at that time everyone wanted to get together to share stories & express their grief. I don't fault Ron one iota.

• Love 4

I also don't fault Ron for not waiting for Patsy to be available, because well, "the show must go on". And we don't know what type of surgery she had, or the recovery time. Plus the timing fit in with Will's illness, so storyline-wise it might not have worked as well to wait. 

• Love 7

I'm the last person to stick up for Ron but technically, wouldn't the executive producer have a big say if they should hold up a story for an actress not being available? And as noted we don't know how long Patsy's recovery will be.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, buffynut said:

I also don't fault Ron for not waiting for Patsy to be available, because well, "the show must go on". And we don't know what type of surgery she had, or the recovery time. Plus the timing fit in with Will's illness, so storyline-wise it might not have worked as well to wait. 

19 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

I'm the last person to stick up for Ron but technically, wouldn't the executive producer have a big say if they should hold up a story for an actress not being available? And as noted we don't know how long Patsy's recovery will be.

And storywise, Patsy not being there makes sense.  

Kim has been fighting cancer and the few references we've heard made it sound like she was having a very rough time of it.  So since Caroline was living with her and her family when she died, and Kim is in rough shape, they can be written as having said their goodbyes but she's not up to the rigors of a plane flight and the rest of her family want to stay with her.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Vixenstud said:

There is such a thing called Skype!  If Kim's so sick and with Patsy recovering from surgery, unless she's unable to talk she could have said a few words via videotape.

Shane just can't get that button to work.

• LOL 7

There is such a thing called Skype!  If Kim's so sick and with Patsy recovering from surgery, unless she's unable to talk she could have said a few words via videotape.

Who Skypes into a funeral?  But I do hope there are Kim clips.

• Love 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

Dammit, soap operas have done crazier things, I JUST WANT KIMBERLY THERE!

*stomps off*

Me too. The Caroline/Kimberly dynamic was always fraught with tension because of Victor and Kim's sexual abuse by her uncle Eric.. You really saw Kim's resentment of her mom come to the surface for not protecting her from being abused during her DID storyline.. Caroline had no way of knowing because Uncle Eric groomed everybody around Kim to keep her isolated for him to abuse her.. Uncle Eric was beloved by the family so who was going to believe Kim, if she dared told anybody.  It is sick how predators operate and maintain control over their victims.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

You really saw Kim's resentment of her mom come to the surface for not protecting her from being abused during her DID storyline..

Whoa, I didn't know that....I believe I took a break from Days during this time, wasn't Kim a redhead then, or was Anne Howard playing her at the time?

• Love 2

Whoa, I didn't know that....I believe I took a break from Days during this time, wasn't Kim a redhead then, or was Anne Howard playing her at the time?

Kim as one of her alters was very mean to Caroline and she represented the part of Kim that resented her mom for not protecting her.    Patsy was playing Kim in the beginning of the story and there was a recast to finish out the story.. Patsy almost had a nervous breakdown playing the DID story  and the fallout because it brought up memories of her own abuse in real life. Kim never expressed anger or blamed her parents for her abuse in the initial story when she confronted Uncle Eric who never expressed remorse for what he did.

I remember Patsy going through some stuff at that time, thanks for the info.

Watching her confront her Uncle Eric brought back too many memories for me, so I totally related to what she was going through back then.

(edited)

Watching her confront her Uncle Eric brought back too many memories for me, so I totally related to what she was going through back then.

You welcome! Patsy went through a lot on the show and never once complained about anything.  The one time she did say something, by refusing to play a second stillborn birth while heavily pregnant  for the second time in real life she was punished by the show for not being a team player. Whenever a woman speaks up, it seems to bother the people in charge..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

I never understood why Roman named Eric after their uncle. It creeps me out.

• Love 3
(edited)
25 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I never understood why Roman named Eric after their uncle. It creeps me out.

He  and Marlena did not know about Eric being a pedophile when they gave their son that name.  Kim never called Eric the baby by her abuser's name, she always called him Ricky.  Eric came to town for Roman's funeral and we got hints that something was wrong with Kim's reaction to her uncle. She seethed when she saw him and Caroline did not understand Kim's reaction at all. Everybody was so loving and affectionate to Eric who was her dad's favorite brother and Kim in response began to pull away from the family. Shane picked up on her discomfort.  Then, Eric was either caught or was accused of molesting a child. Everybody came to his defense, even Shane and Kim told Shane about her abuse.  He was the first person that she actually told about her secret. 

I wish they had changed Eric's name when Rojohn came on the show.  Eric was actually grooming Carrie to be his next victim as well and it led to an emotional confrontation between Kim and her abuser. Kim recognized the signs and went after him, he denied targeting Carrie, abusing Kim and used his old tricks to keep her quiet. It was really ingenious of Sherry to write such a story at the time.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I wonder if its on YT that sounds like a really compelling story something you'll never see on soaps anymore.

Most of the clips are gone, during the mass purging that started in 2015. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

They could have hired Ariana Chase.  She filled in nicely when Patsy had her first -- or was it second, maybe it was her third -- mental breakdown abrupt sudden departure..

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
14 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Roman and Marlena did not know about Eric being a pedophile when they gave their son that name.  Kim never called Eric the baby by her abuser's name, she always called him Ricky.  Eric came to town for Roman's funeral and we got hints that something was wrong with Kim's reaction to her uncle. She seethed when she saw him and Caroline did not understand Kim's reaction at all. Everybody was so loving and affectionate to Eric who was her dad's favorite brother and Kim in response began to pull away from the family. Shane picked up on her discomfort.  Then, Eric was either caught or was accused of molesting a child. Everybody came to his defense, even Shane and Kim told Shane about her abuse.  He was the first person that she actually told about her secret. 

IIRC, he was accused of molesting another child.  I remember her cringing whenever she heard 'my best and my brightest'....though Shawn would say that to her I believe Eric did too.

And yeah, it sucks donkey balls that there are no longer any 80's Days at YT....whose idea was it to do the purging?  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

IIRC, he was accused of molesting another child.  I remember her cringing whenever she heard 'my best and my brightest'....though Shawn would say that to her I believe Eric did too.

And yeah, it sucks donkey balls that there are no longer any 80's Days at YT....whose idea was it to do the purging?  

I believe Sony is the responsible party here. They went on a tear during the year of the 50th anniversary, which was especially poor timing as people were feeling reminiscent and looking for older videos. What also sucks about it is that new actors to the show have cited clips on YT as a source for figuring out who their characters are, family connections, etc. The hope was that something like the DOOL app could one day host those clips, possibly even old episodes in their entirety, but it's not a reality at this point.

• Love 5

A little secret, while there are no longer full episodes you can find partial episodes if you dig hard enough (and don't search for Days of Our Lives which will signal red flags for yanking). Not long ago someone on a Bo/Hope Facebook group I'm on posted from YouTube so so quality scenes from when Bo kidnapped Hope from her wedding to Larry Welch complete with Holding Out For a Hero..that led to a rabbit hole of some hidden gems there.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, howmanywords said:

A little secret, while there are no longer full episodes you can find partial episodes if you dig hard enough (and don't search for Days of Our Lives which will signal red flags for yanking). Not long ago someone on a Bo/Hope Facebook group I'm on posted from YouTube so so quality scenes from when Bo kidnapped Hope from her wedding to Larry Welch complete with Holding Out For a Hero..that led to a rabbit hole of some hidden gems there.

There are also fans who have hidden youtube playlist of episodes that you have to be on their list to access it. The same thing happened to me, watching some Roman/Marlena clips after they came back.. They were really good together.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

Here's the thing about soaps (in general)...it's not about us or what we want. It's a fictional story written by the same unpopular writers for decades. They do their best to try and make it interesting for the viewers, but many times (some will say often) they fail. That's just the way it is, whether we like it or not.  Enjoy it (or not) for what it is 😁

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Ben's name shouldn't be within an inch of the greats like Bo, Steve and Mrs Horton. And EJ? I was a pretty big EJ fan and even I'm rolling my eyes.

A-freakin-men!!  

2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Ben/Ciara are ranked higher than Mrs. H. Ciara's mom and aunt are more worthy.

Tom Horton isn't even on the list despite his voice being in the opening of Days.

Right?  Lol this list has gotta be a joke.

• Love 5
(edited)
7 minutes ago, paisley said:

Because Days started with the supercouple era. Anything before that is nonexistent. 

KMA

It depends on when you think the supercouple era started. Doug/Julie were Days and Daytime's first supercouple. They got the cover of Time that was in the 70s and ended in the mid 90s. 

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 8

Neither was Tom Horton who's voice is still on the Days opening. 

Its just a list but Days existed for decades and some of us have watched for decades most of those fans know Doug, Julie Tom etc before they would ever know Ben/Ciara at the top of their heads.

• Love 10

Someone posted that Chrishell Hartley is in a movie on Netflix called Staged Killer.  Sorry, I cannot recall which forum or topic is was posted.

But, I watched this movie and omg it was terrible.  Even as bad movies go, it was really bad.  Chrishell is a horrible actress (which is kind of what I always thought but this confirmed it).  Pretty much everyone except for the bad guy was terrible in this movie.

Of interest, the story/script was co-written by Linsey Hartley!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Guess that explains why she and Kate Mansi are available for more DOOL. Sad to think there's no moving on to better things....

I guess it depends on what you consider better. I mean AS has come back for stints despite being busy with Hallmark nobody seems to hold that against her not really sure why other actresses are considered "worse" for the same thing beyond personal taste. Its the same thing.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I guess it depends on what you consider better. I mean AS has come back for stints despite being busy with Hallmark nobody seems to hold that against her not really sure why other actresses are considered "worse" for the same thing beyond personal taste. Its the same thing.

Oh, I think the difference is Ali can "act".  She has done multiple movies and they are successful and popular.

This movie with Chrishell was bad, beyond bad, and painful to watch.  She cannot act.

• Love 4
On 7/16/2019 at 3:45 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Guess that explains why she and Kate Mansi are available for more DOOL. Sad to think there's no moving on to better things....

Maybe it's the heat affecting my logic, but I thought Kate Mansi isn't half bad in this trailer for her upcoming movie;  

• Love 4
18 hours ago, bannana said:

Oh, I think the difference is Ali can "act".  She has done multiple movies and they are successful and popular.

This movie with Chrishell was bad, beyond bad, and painful to watch.  She cannot act.

Well acting is subjective but putting that aside outside of Hallmark what else has Ali done.

I guess there's hosting The Biggest Loser but that's not an acting gig either.

My point is despite these outside gigs Ali still comes back to Days to make an appearance how come that's not considered  "failure" but when KM or CS do it they've got nothing else going for them despite the fact they have other things going on beyond Days. They may not be of interest to you but I'm sure someone else likes them enough to keep hiring them for other gigs.

Just find it "interesting" that working for Lifetime is considered a failure but not Hallmark. 

One genre is about women in peril and the other is about schmaltz YMMV.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

My point is despite these outside gigs Ali still comes back to Days to make an appearance how come that's not considered  "failure" but when KM or CS do it they've got nothing else going for them despite the fact they have other things going on beyond Days. They may not be of interest to you but I'm sure someone else likes them enough to keep hiring them for other gigs.

I think when Ali comes back, she usually does it because she spent half her life working on this show with so many of the actors and the people behind the scenes. She started on the show as a teen and they are very much like family to her. Anytime that she has come back it has always been very short-termed and they use her appearance to jump start certain stories. I think she has returned for these stints just for the chance to work with these people again.

If she wanted to come back to the show for longer stretches of time or come back on contract, I have no doubt that the show would make that happen and she would once again be the main lead on the show.

As for KM or CS, they may have come back to the show for those same reasons but they don't have the same long term time and history with the show as compared to Ali.

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Just find it "interesting" that working for Lifetime is considered a failure but not Hallmark. 

I think it's the context of everything.  Kate left when she was in her late 20s.  If an actress wants to leave soaps and try to hit prime time/movies, she better do it around this time or sooner.  Alison left when she was 37 which is basically pretty old to attempt to make that leap to prime time or movies which is why it didn't really feel like that was her goal. (Not that she would have turned down an opportunity).  So she did some directing.  And kept hosting Biggest Loser for a while.  And spent time with her family.  And did some Hallmark. And visited DOOL every now and again. 

But Alison's role with Hallmark isn't just a movie here and a movie there.  It's a pretty steady relationship and she often produces the movies she's in.

So it feels like Alison is just kind of writing her post-soap career.  Kate is not. Or at least not yet anyway.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I didn't say any of this. 😕  I merely said that Chrishell is horrible in that movie. 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, nilyank said:

I think when Ali comes back, she usually does it because she spent half her life working on this show with so many of the actors and the people behind the scenes. She started on the show as a teen and they are very much like family to her. Anytime that she has come back it has always been very short-termed and they use her appearance to jump start certain stories. I think she has returned for these stints just for the chance to work with these people again.

If she wanted to come back to the show for longer stretches of time or come back on contract, I have no doubt that the show would make that happen and she would once again be the main lead on the show.

As for KM or CS, they may have come back to the show for those same reasons but they don't have the same long term time and history with the show as compared to Ali.

I agree that Sami/AS is a way more impactful character/actress than the other two but that really wasn't the question here. Why is it ok for her to return despite having other gigs and not be considered a failure but KM/CS or someone who's not nearly as impactful make the occasional appearance and have snide comments of "Oh they don't have better options" despite the fact they actually have other projects beyond Days themselves.

Outside of personal preference there's no difference in the situation was my point.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2