Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Jen Lilley just tweeted that her two-year-old has hand, foot and mouth disease and her family is all on quarantine for a week.

She also said that she will be appearing on the Hour of Power religious show on TBN tomorrow.

On 2018-06-01 at 1:38 PM, superdeluxe said:

Oh, yeah.  Sonny deserves to be sued for sexual harassment.

I think Ron is doing major favours for Sonny right now. I’m not a fan of the character anymore, but the concept of utterly destroying both him and his life by making him hit rock bottom could be a turning point for the character. Sonny has been ruined by both TomSell and Dena, badly. The fallout after the affair and then the Titan mess trashed him hard. I think his treatment of Paul was actually in character(so I’m one of the people who don’t count that against him), in the sense that Sonny would’ve always picked Will over Paul until they started their anti-Will writing to favour Paul in 2015. I wish Freddie was a strong enough actor to pull this off, the way to go would be for him to win the case, get Will back and become the CEO (he sucks at this but the show seems to insist on it). Only for things to crash and burn after, but similar to what they’re doing with Will- giving him amnesia and a “fresh” start could be the first step to rebuilding Sonny. I just fear FS will struggle to pull it off, as per usual since he seems to have lost the spark he used to have for the character.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Jen Lilley just tweeted that her two-year-old has hand, foot and mouth disease and her family is all on quarantine for a week.

She also said that she will be appearing on the Hour of Power religious show on TBN tomorrow.

I’ve not seen this show but I browsed their website... so much smiling & shiny teeth. I would check it out & I hope her kid get better soon. 

On 6/15/2018 at 12:24 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Does this mean she and Missy are close in real life?

Because both are religious?

I've seen JL in interviews and panels specifically Dishin Days. While her Christianity is important to her she has never come across as a fanatic and is very progressive. 

• Love 4

I've never watched Missy in interviews so I can't call her a fanatic...but her whole anti-gay Chic-Fil-A thing makes me think she's in that realm.

Going on the Hour of Power is a pretty big thing. Hope JL doesn't start to dive too deep into that world of religious entertainment.

• Love 1

I watched the show last night and the male host is smarmy. JL quoted scripture in her segment and talked about fostering children. IRL she is a far cry from her character on Days. She also said God wanted her to take the role.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

Because both are religious?

I've seen JL in interviews and panels specifically Dishin Days. While her Christianity is important to her she has never come across as a fanatic and is very progressive. 

There are progressive religious people out there.  The Pope has progressive tendencies, to the horror, of his detractors. They are even progressive evangelicals... The Reverend William Barber is one.

14 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Going on the Hour of Power is a pretty big thing. Hope JL doesn't start to dive too deep into that world of religious entertainment.

If that is what she wants to do, why not? If she wants to incorporate her faith into her art.  People have always done that, in all religions. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

Agreed. It's just that I personally have found it hard to enjoy a character or piece of entertainment once I know too much about someone's beliefs when they are opposed to what I consider basic decency. Missy's C-F-A crap is one example....Freddie Smith's weirdness is another, though a different ball of wax... now Allison Mack of Smallville has been exposed as running a sex cult...

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Agreed. It's just that I personally have found it hard to enjoy a character or piece of entertainment once I know too much about someone's beliefs when they are opposed to what I consider basic decency. Missy's C-F-A crap is one example....Freddie Smith's weirdness is another, though a different ball of wax... now Allison Mack of Smallville has been exposed as running a sex cult...

Freddie's unadulterated greed and materialism rubs me the wrong way.  There is something disingenuous about him.  I think that fuels the hatred of Sonny, by certain fans. In addition to, Freddie's horrible acting and shitty writing of Sonny.  I apologize to any Freddie fans on here, but, that is how I feel.. A lot of the Wilson fans were done with him when he was pimping Paulson, before Will was even cold in the ground. He trashed Will constantly and said that his death was a good thing.. He had to walk that back, but, the damage was already done.    

• Love 3
(edited)

...of course I fully realize there are "religious" people out there who claim gays, immigrants, abortions, etc, etc are all against "basic decency" so it cuts both ways.

I just want to be able to enjoy Theresa without wondering if she privately hates the Will/Paul/Sonny characters, wants to sell me a carb-counting watch or is secretly trying to brand Susan and Deidre's genitalia to please her master....you know?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

...of course I fully realize there are "religious" people out there who claim gays, immigrants, abortions, etc, etc are all against "basic decency" so it cuts both ways.

I just want to be able to enjoy Theresa without wondering if she privately hates the Will/Paul/Sonny characters, wants to sell me a carb-counting watch or is secretly trying to brand Susan and Deidre's genitalia to please her master....you know?

Don't think about that,  just enjoy her. Unless, she publicly says it.. You don't have to be religious, to be homophobic, racist, e.t.c..

• Love 2
On 5/17/2018 at 1:23 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Rest in peace, Joseph Campanella (a.k.a. Sen. Harper Deveraux - and a lot more!). He did an amazing job as Jack's horrible adoptive father!

I wasn't around for any of that, but R.I.P. I saw the clips and damn Jack was hilarious watching old movie clips of himself and refusing to believe that he wasn't a Deveraux. He's SUCH a drama queen in the body of a big tall cornfed farm boy!

It's always going to be weird for me how the Billy Flynn recast basically completely re-wrote Chad as a character. He was such a frat bro with Casey Deidrick, and then he got all quirky and wannabe eccentric rich guy with Billy.

• Love 4
On 7/7/2018 at 6:51 PM, Silver Raven said:

Greg Vaughn and Angie Harmon have admitted in separate posts that they'e a couple.

i thought angie harmon was married to that baseball or football player. if it's the same one, i can't stand her. ugh.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, msrachelj said:

i thought angie harmon was married to that baseball or football player. if it's the same one, i can't stand her. ugh.

Jason Sehorn, the football player.  The one she got engaged to on the Tonight Show.  They divorced a few years ago.  I so agree with you.  Loved Angie as an actress, but she is one of those celebrities that the more you know about them the less you like them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Jason Sehorn, the football player.  The one she got engaged to on the Tonight Show.  They divorced a few years ago.  I so agree with you.  Loved Angie as an actress, but she is one of those celebrities that the more you know about them the less you like them.

Did she say or do something outrageous?  A lot of people seem to dislike her, for some reason.  I have always been neutral with Angie.  She is beautiful and  I did love her on Law and order. It seems like every working actor has been on the law and order franchise. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JBC344 said:

oh yeah! don't like her as an actress either though!

1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Did she say or do something outrageous?  A lot of people seem to dislike her, for some reason.  I have always been neutral with Angie.  She is beautiful and  I did love her on Law and order. It seems like every working actor has been on the law and order franchise. 

let's just say she leans heavily in one direction. and she seems seems like a phony. also i just can't abide no talents who only have their looks to thank for being rich and entitled. her acting sucks. good plastic surgery though. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

For me, it was the contrast of liking her as an actress then actually seeing her in interviews over the years and hearing her thoughts and opinions on things.  For me, she comes across as a complete shrill and very holier than thou.  From what little I have seen of Greg Vaughn he comes across the exact opposite.  So their coupling is very surprising to me.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

For me, it was the contrast of liking her as an actress then actually seeing her in interviews over the years and hearing her thoughts and opinions on things.  For me, she comes across as a complete shrill and very holier than thou.  From what little I have seen of Greg Vaughn he comes across the exact opposite.  So their coupling is very surprising to me.

yep . an entitled b****.  holier than thou for sure and one of those who have had it easy in life, a charmed life , are rich and do not understand those who live paycheck to paycheck or worse.  it's easy not to care when it "doesn't affect you". she really comes across as if she is ignorant and does not care.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, JBC344 said:

I understand. I guess, the adage, familiarity breeds contempt, defines, Angie Harmon, for you...lol  This is why I don't like to know too much about celebrities..

4 hours ago, msrachelj said:

yep . an entitled b****.  holier than thou for sure and one of those who have had it easy in life, a charmed life , are rich and do not understand those who live paycheck to paycheck or worse.  it's easy not to care when it "doesn't affect you". she really comes across as if she is ignorant and does not care.

Wow, she sounds awful. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5
On 6/17/2018 at 10:51 AM, DisneyBoy said:

I've never watched Missy in interviews so I can't call her a fanatic...but her whole anti-gay Chic-Fil-A thing makes me think she's in that realm.

Without getting too off-topic (well, too late, I guess), let's just say that TBN has a...complicated reputation. And the best way to describe the Crouches would probably be "big fucked up family". (Maybe throw the word "hypocritical" in there, too).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Broadcasting_Network#Controversies

So yeah, I understand an eyebrow being raised about JL's appearance on the network. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I get the point he's making and agree with it, but he's not really doing that imo.

Plus, he is too thin-skinned, as an actor. Actors have to be used to rejections and criticisms. Why does he always need to respond to fans criticisms on twitter. The fans of the show can be very brutal.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6

That tweet comes off incredibly defensive.  There is also the point that the environment has to foster that kind of an acting choice.  No one else on the cast is going for "realistic speech patterns", and I'm sure with the "no rehearsal time", and x number of pages they have to get through in a day the producers aren't too concerned with it either. 

A simple "The stutter or stilted speech is an acting choice that I use because I find it to be more realistic to how people talk and I think it suits Chad".

• Love 8
(edited)

Jen Lilley said on dishin days that the show didn't go further with the Theresa and JJ storyline when she first came on in 2013 because Casey Moss looked too much like her little brother in real life and  it creeped her out.  She went to production and told them that she just couldn't do it. She said now CMo doesn't look anything like her brother, so she was fine with JJ & Theresa being revisited. Actors should not control the story, so, we got that stupid Thrady story.  We could have gotten JJ/Theresa storyline years ago, instead of  Eve/JJ and Paige/JJ. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Jen Lilley said on dishin days that the show didn't go further with the Theresa and JJ storyline when she first came on in 2013 because Casey Moss looked too much like her little brother in real life and  it creeped her out.  She went to production and told them that she just couldn't do it. She said now CMo doesn't look anything like her brother, so she was fine with JJ & Theresa being revisited. Actors should not control the story, so, we got that stupid Thrady story.  We could have gotten JJ/Theresa storyline years ago, instead of  Eve/JJ and Paige/JJ. 

Lol, I was just coming here to post the same story.  She also had a good laugh at the fact that her and Brady were cousins and how immediately their "family history" was changed to accommodate a love story.

• Love 5

I think JJresa has benefitted from the focus shifting elsewhere. We're still rooting for them, aren't we? And I rather liked Thrady's evolution... mostly? Yeah. We'll go with "mostly".

All in all, not too upset.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I think JJresa has benefitted from the focus shifting elsewhere. We're still rooting for them, aren't we? And I rather liked Thrady's evolution... mostly? Yeah. We'll go with "mostly".

All in all, not too upset.

Actors should not dictate stories. The Eric/Nicole story was stopped in it's tracks because the actress who played Nicole wanted to be paired with her real life boyfriend who played Dan.  

Thrady is and was an awful couple.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5
43 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Actors should not dictate stories. The Eric/Nicole story was stopped in it's tracks because the actress who played Nicole wanted to be paired with her real life boyfriend who played Dan.  

Thrady is and was an awful couple.  

I think sometimes it's necessary for the actor's peace of mind.  I remember on All My Children, the original storyline had been for a twenty three year old Kendall to seduce Dmitit away from Erica but Michael Nader went to AMC's management and explained that he was uncomfortable doing any type of love scenes with a then seventeen year old Sarah Michelle Gellar and the show respected Nader's wishes.

I think Jen Lilley's reasoning is just as valid--who wants their character to come off as a creepy cradle-robber or to be considered a statutory rapist with an underage costar?

• Love 4
(edited)
20 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I think sometimes it's necessary for the actor's peace of mind.  I remember on All My Children, the original storyline had been for a twenty three year old Kendall to seduce Dmitit away from Erica but Michael Nader went to AMC's management and explained that he was uncomfortable doing any type of love scenes with a then seventeen year old Sarah Michelle Gellar and the show respected Nader's wishes.

I think Jen Lilley's reasoning is just as valid--who wants their character to come off as a creepy cradle-robber or to be considered a statutory rapist with an underage costar?

Jennifer's objections were not as valid as Michael Nader's.

Kassie Depaiva was very uncomfortable with the JJ/Eve hookup and she played it with gusto. She is a veteran in soaps, who is Jennifer in comparison to refuse to play a story. Kassie was 8 months pregnant and had to play Blair losing her nearly full term son, on One life to live.  It was very hard for her to do it, but, she did it. Between takes, she would rub her tummy and tell her unborn son that mommy is just playing and to be calm.  They even had a doctor on set to make sure that Kassie and the baby were fine. The material that she had to play was very intense..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Jennifer's objections were not as valid as Michael Nader's.

Kassie Depaiva was very uncomfortable with the JJ/Eve hookup and she played it with gusto. She is a veteran in soaps, who is Jennifer in comparison to refuse to play a story. Kassie was 8 months pregnant and had to play Blair losing her nearly full term son, on One life to live.  It was very hard for her to do it, but, she did it. Between takes, she would rub her tummy and tell her unborn son that mommy is just playing and to be calm.  They even had a doctor on set to make sure that Kassie and the baby were fine. The material that she had to play was very intense..

Wow I didn't know that. KDP is an amazing actress and also a very strong woman.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

Casey Moss wasn't under age when he started on Days.  Her issue was apparently that Casey reminded her of her brother.  While I understand that it would be weird to play opposite someone who reminded you of your younger sibling, he wasn't her sibling and you aren't required to be actually attracted to your co-star in order to play opposite him or her.  Or at least, it shouldn't be a requirement. 

Side note, there is almost precisely the same amount of age difference between Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell and they were the same respective ages when they were first being paired. 

• Love 4

I am sad the show never tried out Chad and Theresa. I know both the actors were open to it, I think even lobbied for it at events & on twitter, but that was back when TPTB wouldn't let Chad think of any woman but KM's Abby so it went nowhere. 

4 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

The Eric/Nicole story was stopped in it's tracks because the actress who played Nicole wanted to be paired with her real life boyfriend who played Dan.  

The pacing for Ericole was absolutely glacial. I didn't mind them together but I grew bored because the writing felt like it wasn't going anywhere with them with slooooowww inching forward. I feel like Ericole had a good year to cement a story before AZ made the request to put Dan and Nicole together. For me, I have no problem with SC as an actor and he was aware Dan could be a douchecanoe (though IMO Daniel was always much MUCH less of a douchecanoe than Rafe is) and it's not that I think Dan lacked chem with Nicole. They just had some really bad writing as both a couple and as a pairing but I think just about every character suffered from terrible writing from 2014  - 2017 just some actors were strong enough or had enough character history that they could shake some of the damage off. 

• Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I am sad the show never tried out Chad and Theresa. I know both the actors were open to it, I think even lobbied for it at events & on twitter, but that was back when TPTB wouldn't let Chad think of any woman but KM's Abby so it went nowhere. 

The pacing for Ericole was absolutely glacial. I didn't mind them together but I grew bored because the writing felt like it wasn't going anywhere with them with slooooowww inching forward. I feel like Ericole had a good year to cement a story before AZ made the request to put Dan and Nicole together. For me, I have no problem with SC as an actor and he was aware Dan could be a douchecanoe (though IMO Daniel was always much MUCH less of a douchecanoe than Rafe is) and it's not that I think Dan lacked chem with Nicole. They just had some really bad writing as both a couple and as a pairing but I think just about every character suffered from terrible writing from 2014  - 2017 just some actors were strong enough or had enough character history that they could shake some of the damage off. 

I had no problem with the actor who played Dan. However, his character Daniel, was propped to the heavens: Jack, Jennifer, Maggie, Victor, Nicole, Philip, Chloe, Carly were all sacrificed at his altar. Not to mention, his insipid daughter, Melanie. It was just too much, if they had embraced Dan's assholeness and gave him layers, it would have endeared him to viewers.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6

I miss AZ a lot but as a fan I hated Nicole and Daniel. No chemistry at all even though they were in love IRL. AZ should not have dictated who Nicole was with.

• Love 7