Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, bannana said:

I watched the last two eps of Dishin' Days, and they were pretty entertaining. What struck me was that Sal Stowers actually has an engaging personality in real life.  Why doesn't she try to bring that to her boring character?

I had the exact same thoughts regarding Sal. She was so charming and vibrant on Dishin Days. Lani I like better in this incarnation than the first time she was on, but would love to see more of Sal in Lani. 

• Love 2

Billy Flynn who plays Chad seems to be fighting with the fans on twitter.  He seems like a jerk.  Some of the fans are not happy with Marcy as Abigail and he seems to be taking it personally. I would think that as an actor, he would have tougher skin, when it comes to criticism. Fans should be allowed to voice their displeasure, as long as, it is not filled with hateful, personal attacks. Billy is going overboard and he needs to step away from social media, for a while..

Edited by Apprentice79
3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Billy Flynn who plays Chad seems to be fighting with the fans on twitter.  He seems like a jerk.  Some of the fans are not happy with Marcy as Abigail and he seems to be taking it personally. I would think that as an actor, he would have tougher skin, when it comes to criticism. Fans should be allowed to voice their displeasure, as long as, it is not filled with hateful, personal attacks. Billy is going overboard and he needs to step away from social media, for a while..

He's fighting with fans about his political commentaries.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

This particular meltdown was about a fan who said that she preferred Kate as Abby over Marcy. It just devolved from there..

I don't have a twitter account, only had one for a short time after OLTL ended when I signed up specifically to follow Robin Strasser, see what was going on with the OLTL reboot at the time.  Then I dropped my account.  So I'm not familiar with it on a personal level, though I know what goes on - who doesn't anymore, considering the obvious.

But I looked at this dust up Billy had and from what I've seen - and I'm sure I didn't see everything - I pretty much think his reactions were appropriate, or at least understandable.  The guy is good at snark, that's for sure, and at least one of the "fans" (who aren't fans of his) behaved pretty badly and kept it going.  From what I saw, Billy defended his co-worker and I sorta like that he did that.  With the other opinions he has on his twitter feed it's apparent that he doesn't treat this account as a fan or a show site specifically, so it seems that he returns fire.  Since I agree with him, and I didn't see any cruel rudeness, I think he's well within his rights.

But man am I glad I'm not on twitter anymore, the temptation to mouth off would be too strong for me to resist!

• Love 5

It was just some fans talking. They didn't even bash Marci. One fan said they still preferred Kate Mansi as Abby. Billy wasn't even tagged in the tweets. I don't know if he was searching hash tags, or was alerted by some of his fans. He went off on Twitter and then said Marci is the best actor Days has ever had. He got even more pissed when some fans disagreed. Apparently he was taking screen shots of one of the fans Twitter timeline and making some rather unkind remarks. He needs to take a break from Twitter for awhile.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Billy has deleted his twitter account, and Christopher Sean, Marci Miller and Chandler Massey have come to his defense.

http://www.soapoperanews.net/2018/02/days-of-our-lives-christopher-sean.html?m=1

Has he been accused of something else?  Christopher's tweet seemed very strange.  "Billy has never crossed the line with me.  Days is a very safe environment."  Also I always find it incredibly strange when people defend someone with the "so and so is good to me". It just always comes across as a "weird" defense.  It's sort of like the "I'm not racist, I have a black friend." "I'm not homophobic, I know a gay person."

I'm sure Christopher meant well but his tweet has raised more questions for me than a silly twitter feud Billy was having with a couple of uber fans.

2 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Has he been accused of something else?  Christopher's tweet seemed very strange.  "Billy has never crossed the line with me.  Days is a very safe environment."  Also I always find it incredibly strange when people defend someone with the "so and so is good to me". It just always comes across as a "weird" defense.  It's sort of like the "I'm not racist, I have a black friend." "I'm not homophobic, I know a gay person."

I'm sure Christopher meant well but his tweet has raised more questions for me than a silly twitter feud Billy was having with a couple of uber fans.

No, there was a troll trying to start trouble by speculating that since Billy likes to kiss and hug his male co-stars in jest, he must be a sexual predator. I don't know how somebody makes that type of leap, but, that is what some people do to get attention.  The troll wanted to smear Billy.  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

No, there was a troll trying to start trouble by speculating that since Billy likes to kiss and hug his male co-stars in jest, he must be a sexual predator. I don't know how somebody makes that type of leap, but, that is what some people do to get attention.  The troll wanted to smear Billy.  

Got it. Thanks. Christopher's tweet makes more sense now. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, nilyank said:

I guess this is right place to put this. Starting tomorrow on Bravo, old episodes of Days will be shown starting with 2011. Two episodes a day.

https://www.inquisitr.com/4803879/days-of-our-lives-classic-episodes-returning-to-tv-bo-hope-ej-sami-together-again/

These are the episodes for the next two weeks.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/days-of-our-lives/tv-listings/194489/

6 AM?  Sob.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

6 AM?  Sob.

That reminds me of when Soapnet reran Ryan's Hope from the beginning, 2 episodes daily, but absurdly early.  But with the VCR, it was a snap.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, boes said:

That reminds me of when Soapnet reran Ryan's Hope from the beginning, 2 episodes daily, but absurdly early.  But with the VCR, it was a snap.

What's a VCR?

Kidding! (I was thrilled to get my own VCR as a high school graduation gift back in the dark ages of 1990! It allowed me to keep up with the soaps when I was in college!)

• Love 4

What does the Bravo reruns mean for renewal? Are they trying to gain more viewers or bring old viewers back? or does this signal the end is near?

As a long time Days fan I wish they would go back further but I understand they don't want to look dated if they are trying to get new viewers. 

Lately when the show has had its up and downs during the downs I rewatch  the classic story lines to keep up my Days love. I have every episode saved since the early 1980's and now am have most on hard drives so I can access a year and episode. Interesting to see how much they rewrite history. 

• Love 4

Don't judge!!!!!   Had an episode of Cheyenne on this afternoon (1962) and the lead guest looked so familiar.  It was driving me crazy and then it hit me....it was a very young Susan Seaforth (before Hayes, of course).  Several times she sounded just like Julie.    And now here I sit watching Death Valley Days and waiting for the credits, because I'm pretty sure it's Jean Cooper with dark hair.  OMG it was--from 1954!  LOL.

• Love 2
(edited)
30 minutes ago, sas616 said:

Don't judge!!!!!   Had an episode of Cheyenne on this afternoon (1962) and the lead guest looked so familiar.  It was driving me crazy and then it hit me....it was a very young Susan Seaforth (before Hayes, of course).  Several times she sounded just like Julie.    And now here I sit watching Death Valley Days and waiting for the credits, because I'm pretty sure it's Jean Cooper with dark hair.  OMG it was--from 1954!  LOL.

Clint Walker!  Lucky Susan!

I haven't seen Cheyenne in decades but I loved it when I was a kid.  And Sugarfoot and Wagon Train too.

Edited by boes
  • Love 1
On 3/6/2018 at 1:26 PM, silverspoons said:

What does the Bravo reruns mean for renewal? Are they trying to gain more viewers or bring old viewers back? or does this signal the end is near?

As a long time Days fan I wish they would go back further but I understand they don't want to look dated if they are trying to get new viewers.  

It's somewhat unclear what has prompted the early AM Bravo re-airs of 6+ year old episodes.  As of yet, no one had uncovered even a press release from Sony, NBC, or Corday.  A couple staffers tweeted shout-outs to the Monday debut. And the *soap press* isn't exactly NYTimes caliber.  I can't imagine that anyone would expect decent ratings at that hour.  Or why Bravo would choose DOOL over any of their own countless reality-esque programs, or even infomercials for that matter.  It could be a test, or part of a new contract/agreement between Corday Productions, Sony, and NBC.  

DOOL didn't have HD episodes until 2010 (?), so that seems to preclude most networks from showing older episodes.  Bravo did begin with episodes that led up to a rather massive re-launch in September 2011 (ie Bo and Hope's Horton Town Square Party).  Even moreso, these episodes lead into the Gay Will storyline, something that seems Bravo-appropriate.

There has been no official announcement of an NBC renewal, however, the show is on the cusp of taping episodes which would be airing in September, when the current contract expires.  Given that the show has had a resurgence in ratings and the Today Show remains in semi-turmoil, it seems pretty likely that DOOL isn't going anywhere soon.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:26 PM, silverspoons said:

Lately when the show has had its up and downs during the downs I rewatch  the classic story lines to keep up my Days love. I have every episode saved since the early 1980's and now am have most on hard drives so I can access a year and episode. Interesting to see how much they rewrite history. 

I am curious to know, what rewrite do you think forever altered the show's trajectory for the worst.

For me, it was Drake's Roman, retcon, as an impostor. I think that the show has never been the same.. Plus, The villains became the protagonists, while the heroes were dumbed down and became supporting characters in their own story.  

Edited by Apprentice79
21 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

There has been no official announcement of an NBC renewal, however, the show is on the cusp of taping episodes which would be airing in September, when the current contract expires.  Given that the show has had a resurgence in ratings and the Today Show remains in semi-turmoil, it seems pretty likely that DOOL isn't going anywhere soon.

There is now. So you were right with your prediction!

• Love 1

Y'all should watch Chandler and Christopher's Instagram Dressing Room Series. They are such bros...but it's funny.

Yesterday they had been filming in tuxes. Wonder who gets married in September.

• Love 3

The whole Max/Chelsea deal is always a big eeeeeeeewwww. Maybe, if Chelsea ever returns, there should be a story where she is exposed as a fraud. (Billie can be innocent or not about knowing.) Because?

Krista Allen's Billie carried her spawn's dead body in a suitcase years ago. She was dead. I'm almost as apoplectic as Whoopi Goldberg in Soapdish (when she was bemoaning about writing for a previously-killed off character who didn't have a head!) about that. Swamp Baby was DEAD.

So Chelsea should be a con! As for reasons? Don't know. But I bet these so-called writers can think of something!

• Love 3
On 3/4/2018 at 12:20 PM, nilyank said:

I guess this is right place to put this. Starting tomorrow on Bravo, old episodes of Days will be shown starting with 2011. Two episodes a day.

https://www.inquisitr.com/4803879/days-of-our-lives-classic-episodes-returning-to-tv-bo-hope-ej-sami-together-again/

These are the episodes for the next two weeks.

http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/days-of-our-lives/tv-listings/194489/

Is anyone watching the Bravo reruns from 2011?  I wasnt watching then and I am really really enjoying them.  I have a question though......who is Abby's date at the Horton Square gala?  I watched all the eps yesterday and cant figure out who he is and no one addressed him by name.  I am actually pleastantly surprirsed that the majority of the charachters are the same as today, or at least from past (Jack)..not a bunch of newbies I don't know. 

Edited by Cupcake04
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Cupcake04 said:

I have a question though......who is Abby's date at the Horton Square gala?  I watched all the eps yesterday and cant figure out who he is and no one addressed him by name.

That was the original Chad, so this is Chabby 1.0

• Love 3

The sets.....I was watching some videos last night from the Salem Stalker era (maybe we could transport Rafe to Melaswen??) and the sets are fantastic!  I'd forgotten how good the show looked, and not all that long ago.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, nilyank said:

That was the original Chad, so this is Chabby 1.0

No!  Really?   Wow.....night & day between him and BF.  I do not like OG Chad, at all.  Not that fond of KM either....prior to these reruns I had only seen her from Necktie Killer Ben on and was not impressed, and these eps have not changed my opinion....even with the blonde hair! lol

I would like to post some more thought I had while watching the old eps.....could we maybe start a new thread to discuss there?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, boes said:

The sets.....I was watching some videos last night from the Salem Stalker era (maybe we could transport Rafe to Melaswen??) and the sets are fantastic!  I'd forgotten how good the show looked, and not all that long ago.  

A few years ago, they had massive budget cuts and that has affected the way that the show looks.  I miss people having homes, restaurants like Chez Rouge and the outdoor sets that used to be incorporated into the show...Salem place was a nice outdoor set..

I don't watch Bold and the Beautiful, but, the sets are nice and they go on location shoots all over the world. They have even gone to Dubai. The cast is allowed to bring their families with them to the different countries.  The creator of the show puts his own money into the show and it shows...Ken Corday should do that with Days..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Cupcake04 said:

No!  Really?   Wow.....night & day between him and BF.  I do not like OG Chad, at all.  Not that fond of KM either....prior to these reruns I had only seen her from Necktie Killer Ben on and was not impressed, and these eps have not changed my opinion....even with the blonde hair! lol

I would like to post some more thought I had while watching the old eps.....could we maybe start a new thread to discuss there?

I disliked Original Chad too, though that might be an unpopular opinion.

I think a thread for old episodes would be good.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Silver Raven said:

Are you guys talking about Casey Deidrick as "old Chad"?  He was the creator of the character and I really enjoyed him.  Not that I do't like Billy Flynn.

Yes, that's the name I couldn't think of!  I know most people liked him and I didn't hate him, not by a long shot but when he left I didn't miss him.

if they were going to show "old" episodes on bravo. why did they start just a few years ago. i , for one, would love love love to see the first season and beyond. i was too young to watch then but i love nostalgia. i had been hoping for ages that some channel would show vintage dool.  this is a big disappointment. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, msrachelj said:

if they were going to show "old" episodes on bravo. why did they start just a few years ago. i , for one, would love love love to see the first season and beyond. i was too young to watch then but i love nostalgia. i had been hoping for ages that some channel would show vintage dool.  this is a big disappointment. 

As someone mentioned above, it likely has something to do with the fact that Days was not shot in HD until fairly recently. It could also be that Bravo wants to show the episodes featuring gay characters; they pull a pretty big LGBTQ audience.

• Love 5
On 3/7/2018 at 7:22 PM, Apprentice79 said:

I am curious to know, what rewrite do you think forever altered the show's trajectory for the worst.

For me, it was Drake's Roman, retcon, as an impostor. I think that the show has never been the same.. Plus, The villains became the protagonists, while the heroes were dumbed down and became supporting characters in their own story.  

I also am bothered by much of Drake/Josh/Wayne roles over the years. I have just accepted where things are now but as someone that watched the entire 1980's ,Josh was Jake. I think Josh's acting is flat, he was Jake at best (watching Hogan family reruns that just came on Antenna TV he plays all 3 characters the same, and Josh being a lawyer IRL shocks me since he should have some range just from law school). The pawn/prism storyline had me hooked, I did not like many many turns that John's story took. I did not like the way the ended it with the creepy dad in the warehouse (interesting to watch but I didn't like it as the 30 year "answer"). Wayne coming back as an abusive doctor was such a waste of him coming back and another bad recreation of the past. 

There are a few little things that bother me.  Maggie's egg being taken (heck how many eggs have been taken in Salem?) and Victor not being the father. I thought it would have been a romantic connection for them. There was no reason to have a crazy story that Maggie was the mom and not stretch it to Vic being the dad since he was the Godfather.  JJ was suppose to be born with no limbs, you can't miss that on an ultrasound. That story really hit a nerve as some that has had some tough pregnancies. I just think of that almost every time I see him. The Tony/Andre switching , I loved 80's Tony and having evil Andre pop up once was fine but I wish the rest of Theo's role was Tony, not the back and forth lets blame Andre. The SORAS are starting to get annoying. Hope being a grandmother or Marlena being a great grandmother is starting to be a big stretch. We know Marlena finished med school, residency and had her career (and a marriage and stillborn ) before Sami. Hope is really suppose to be in her mid 60's? I know she is a chain smoker IRL and could have aged better but she doesn't act or appear to be in her mid 60's. Belle said Grams and I thought Alice, and it took me a few minutes to click in Hope is now Grams?

I could probably go on forever. But I appreciate the show still being on despite some of the storylines. My daughter always gets upset when we watch a TV show and a character is on only one time but the show implies that the they cast will always visit them or be friends forever. At least with Days we have been lucky enough to see many characters some back even if their time gone does not line up and see them again.  As absurd as some of the age differences I'm glad we get to see Salem "grow up and grow old". 

Hope is in her early 50's.  I agree with you on a lot of the other points but Hope being a grandmother isn't that much of a stretch.  She had Shawn Douglas when she was pretty young, really early twenties, and outside of Claire being SORASED, she would still be a grandmother to an adolescent. 

Same with Marlena, Sami had Will at 16 and Will had Ari at what 19 or 20.  When you are having children that young multiple generations can add up quickly.

• Love 2

Plus Deidre Hall is 70 years old. While the twins were sorased, Marlena's age fits being a great grandmother of Ariana with a father in his mid twenties and a grandmother who is 40.

• Love 2
On 3/7/2018 at 6:22 PM, Apprentice79 said:

Overall, the Last Blast SORAS.  It screwed up a lot of time frames on the show, pretty drastically.  I know there's a lot of nostalgia for those stories now, but I still think it was a bad idea to pair Shawn and Belle and stick with it for so many years.  It ran too many of the relationships of the show through too few people.

Just where my favorites are concerned, bringing Ava in 2015 and acting like Steve and Kayla had no story to tell without her, when they had just been reunited and had plenty of conflict to use.  The writers have kept digging the hole without ever taking the time to rebuild what used to be a beautiful love story.  It's so sad to see Steve perpetuating the cycle of abuse, and minimizing what Tripp did to Kayla, when that is what his story was once about overcoming.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Vince1178 said:

As someone mentioned above, it likely has something to do with the fact that Days was not shot in HD until fairly recently. It could also be that Bravo wants to show the episodes featuring gay characters; they pull a pretty big LGBTQ audience.

so they can't show non hd shows on bravo?  i'm confused. 

On 3/12/2018 at 9:38 PM, JBC344 said:

Casey's Chad was so different. It really is like two different characters. 

That was back when Chad was Will's best friend, guy next door with an edge. 

Casey's Chad was bro next door, punk skater kinda (without the punk or skater)...then they got him all Dimera'd up with the recast.
I love Billy and I tolerated Casey...but really, I don't compare the two at all. They were completely different versions of the same character. They took the recast opportunity to "mature" Chad. I, for one, like that. 

• Love 2