Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

On 9/6/2018 at 10:32 PM, Apprentice79 said:

Sarah Brown who played Carly Benson on General Hospital, she was the best Carly in my opinion, but, I digress, she also played Madison on Days of our lives, has been spilling some tea about her career being derailed by Les Moonves of CBS  and others. I really feel bad for her, she had to sell her house and she has retired from acting. She is a great actress, I always loved her.. I remember Jill show killer Pharen Phelps treated her like shit for getting pregnant and ruining her plans for the show.  Sarah had gotten pregnant after her character Carly had given birth on the show and Jill was fit to be tied.

Believe it or not, for all her sins, Jill Farren Phelps WASN'T the one in charge when Sarah was pregnant on GH. It was actually Wendy Riche, of all people, who told Sarah she should have kept her legs closed when Sarah got pregnant with her daughter Jordan right around the time Carly was about to give birth to Michael. This was in 1997-1998.

I know, it still boggles my mind that she was capable of that. She opened up Genie Francis' outfit one day and shook her head at Genie's weight, too. It still floors me. All of this sounds like classic JFP, but it actually wasn't. Go figure. 

Jill joined as GH's EP in 2001, right around the time Sarah left. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, UYI said:

Believe it or not, for all her sins, Jill Farren Phelps WASN'T the one in charge when Sarah was pregnant on GH. It was actually Wendy Riche, of all people, who told Sarah she should have kept her legs closed when Sarah got pregnant with her daughter Jordan right around the time Carly was about to give birth to Michael. This was in 1997-1998.

I know, it still boggles my mind that she was capable of that. She opened up Genie Francis' outfit one day and shook her head at Genie's weight, too. It still floors me. All of this sounds like classic JFP, but it actually wasn't. Go figure. 

Jill joined as GH's EP in 2001, right around the time Sarah left. 

Thanks! for that clarification.

Genie Francis was always treated like shit by the women who ran General Hospital... do you know who denied her the same vacation privileges as the actor who played Luke? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Apprentice79 said:

Thanks! for that clarification.

Genie Francis was always treated like shit by the women who ran General Hospital... do you know who denied her the same vacation privileges as the actor who played Luke? 

Now that was Jill. Wendy Riche actually gave them to her. How was Genie treated by DAYS? Did she like it here, at least?

I think there was some debate about how soon Sarah would leave GH once Jill was there, although Sarah later came back to play Claudia, so I guess they put it aside (unless Sarah exiting a year later was because of fallout between her and JFP in addition to Guza). 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, UYI said:

Now that was Jill. Wendy Riche actually gave them to her. How was Genie treated by DAYS? Did she like it here, at least?

I think there was some debate about how soon Sarah would leave GH once Jill was there, although Sarah later came back to play Claudia, so I guess they put it aside (unless Sarah exiting a year later was because of fallout between her and JFP in addition to Guza). 

Genie loved working with Drake. She had great chemistry with him as Diana.  Roman and Diana were very popular. However, she complained about her character not having any direction and the writers did not seem to know what to do with her.  The Marlena fans hated her for being with Rojohn, she used to get hate mail by the pound.  I always felt that she should have had a son by John. Instead we got  retcon Paul.  I would have loved to have seen her reaction to Marlena, she was very jealous of her ghost.  Stefano used to love taunt her about her insecurities regarding Marlena and told her that she was just placeholder for her.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

That's unfortunate. I'm not surprised though, for whatever reason...

It IS unfortunate. Since your are not surprised, just curious as to what you know or what you may have heard...

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Frank Parker, a.k.a. Shawn Brady, Sr., has died. He was 79. May he RIP!

I loved Shawn Brady, Sr. He was such a complex character, he was not perfect, but, he was a good man, good father and husband.  The Bo/Shawn relationship was wonderfully written and acted.. Shawn sacrificing his life for Bo was a full circle moment in that relationship.

• Love 9

I'm so sad to hear about Peggy, she was terrific.  What a loss.

I hope Show gives her a spectacular send off after all these years.

What a great actor and a wonderful presence in Salem for all these years.

• Love 8

:(    :(    :(

I hope her co-workers and friends were able to see her these last few months. This will be hard on them. She's part of the fabric of DAYS.

Glad to hear she didn't suffer.

...maybe not the time but dang, did the show mess up what ended up being her last storylines...

• Love 4
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

How ironic that Peggy McCay passed away so close to Frank Parker. May she RIP. Now I wonder if the show will kill Caroline off screen now, too...

I hope that Caroline gets a wonderful funeral and sendoff.  Kim, Shane, Steve, Carrie, Theresa, Stefanie, Chelsea, Frankie, Max, Andrew need to come back for her funeral and even GhostBo can play a role by telling either Kayla or Hope that Caroline is at peace in the afterlife.  It will be interesting to see Victor's reaction to Caroline's death.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

:(    :(    :(

I hope her co-workers and friends were able to see her these last few months. This will be hard on them. She's part of the fabric of DAYS.

Glad to hear she didn't suffer.

...maybe not the time but dang, did the show mess up what ended up being her last storylines...

They should have kept the Alzheimers, instead of changing it to that ridiculous fictional disease. Also, once they knew Peggy wouldn't have been back, they should have let Caroline die of Alzheimers.

1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

I hope that Caroline gets a wonderful funeral and sendoff.  Kim, Shane, Steve, Carrie, Theresa, Stefanie, Chelsea, Frankie, Max, Andrew need to come back for her funeral and even GhostBo can play a role by telling either Kayla or Hope that Caroline is at peace in the afterlife.  It will be interesting to see Victor's reaction to Caroline's death.  

This is yet another problem with the 6 month lead time. We should have funeral episode within 6 weeks or so. Instead, it will be half a year from now. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, General Days said:

They should have kept the Alzheimers, instead of changing it to that ridiculous fictional disease. Also, once they knew Peggy wouldn't have been back, they should have let Caroline die of Alzheimers.

This is yet another problem with the 6 month lead time. We should have funeral episode within 6 weeks or so. Instead, it will be half a year from now. 

I'm actually ok with it as long as it means they can give her the send off she deserves.  All of those actors who are no longer on the show should be getting phone calls over the next week to work out scheduling while Ron and the writers prepare to write her death storyline.  Since Peggy has been off the show for awhile I'm ok with waiting 5 months for a death storyline, it just better be good.

• Love 5

Sad news.  :(  

About the 6 months in advance taping schedule, I read on the other site that Frances Reid died in Jan 2010 and Alice didn't die until June 2010.  So it may be even longer than 6 months for Caroline, if they have to plan out a storyline and get the actors in for the taping.

• Love 3

I may be wrong but I heard (here perhaps?) that Peggy wasn't comfortable with the Alzheimer angle and so Caroline was cured and given Celeste's psychic powers instead *eyeroll*

But yes, they should have just back-burnered it. They knew she'd be off-camera in a matter of months....there should have been a plan.

I was surprised they wrote Kimberly as being ill instead of Caroline when trying to justify Theresa's departure.

Hopefully AS and JL return if they do a funeral, as I liked Caroline's support of her trouble-making girls.

And I hope they recap the character's life with flashbacks, because I don't really know much about her story.

I feel for JA, as he's getting up there and has few costars in his age range. His scenes will be emotional.

What happened the last time Peggy was in a scene? I can't recall...

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

I may be wrong but I heard (here perhaps?) that Peggy wasn't comfortable with the Alzheimer angle and so Caroline was cured and given Celeste's psychic powers instead *eyeroll*

But yes, they should have just back-burnered it. They knew she'd be off-camera in a matter of months....there should have been a plan.

I was surprised they wrote Kimberly as being ill instead of Caroline when trying to justify Theresa's departure.

Hopefully AS and JL return if they do a funeral, as I liked Caroline's support of her trouble-making girls.

And I hope they recap the character's life with flashbacks, because I don't really know much about her story.

I feel for JA, as he's getting up there and has few costars in his age range. His scenes will be emotional.

What happened the last time Peggy was in a scene? I can't recall...

I do hope they can get Tanya Boyd back as Celeste.  I always liked how stubborn Caroline was about referring to her by her new name.  There was always a part of Celeste that was comforted when Caroline would call her Frankie, like she did when they were young.

The chemistry between Tanya and Peggy was always fun to watch.  Fingers crossed.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I loved Shawn and Caroline, and the entire Brady family dynamics. But Caroline's story really became front-burner, when they connected her to Victor and made him Bo's father. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, buffynut said:

I loved Shawn and Caroline, and the entire Brady family dynamics. But Caroline's story really became front-burner, when they connected her to Victor and made him Bo's father. 

Caroline screaming out Bo, don't kill him, he is your father was epic.  

• Love 8
On 10/11/2018 at 11:03 AM, Apprentice79 said:

Caroline screaming out Bo, don't kill him, he is your father was epic.  

I wish I could remember that scene, but it was a long time ago, and my memory isn't all that great.   I also can't remember if the viewers already knew that, or if it was a shock to us, as well. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, buffynut said:

I wish I could remember that scene, but it was a long time ago, and my memory isn't all that great.   I also can't remember if the viewers already knew that, or if it was a shock to us, as well. 

It was at a party and Bo had a gun on Victor threatening to kill him, he was messing with Kim.  Caroline knows her son and thought that he was about to kill Victor and she shouted out that line that I paraphrased in my post above.,

Kim thought that she was Victor's daughter after having had slept with him in Miami. It really messed with Kim, given her incestuous sexual abuse at the hands of her uncle Eric. Kim had found her mother's letter where she said that Victor was the father of one her kids. Kim also thought that Roman was Victor's child, since he was the first born. Bo being his son really made it clear that Caroline had really loved Victor once upon a time. Bo is the baby of the Brady siblings.  There is a 10 year difference between Roman and Bo.  Bo had no idea that Victor was his biological dad. He was shocked and it validated his fears that his dad did not really love him and he must have sense that he was not his and that is why his dad treated him differently.  Papa Shawn was appalled and left Caroline for her deceit. 

Bo being Victor's was a really good story and it affected the Brady family in a good way.  The Brady family was always my favorite family on the show because they were flawed people trying to love each other the best way they know how. Sometimes, good Parents make mistakes with their children, it does not mean that they don't love them. That was the case between Shawn and Bo.  One of my favorite scenes between Bo and Shawn was when Shawn was in the hospital recuperating from a heart attack after having a fierce argument with Bo.  Thinking that he was persona non grata, Bo snuck into Shawn's room and he pore his heart out telling his sleeping dad how sorry he was and that he wished that he was not such a disappointment to him as a son and that he loved him. As Bo was leaving the room, Shawn told him that he loved him too, Shawn was not sleeping and heard every word. Shawn and Bo embraced and cried..I am tearing up as I am writing this. It was such a good scene.  Soaps no longer explore relationships anymore and it is a shame. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9
On 10/12/2018 at 8:08 AM, buffynut said:

....can't remember if the viewers already knew that, or if it was a shock to us, as well. 

I am pretty sure that the secret had been spoiled by SOD in the week or two before the episode aired.  Caroline had convinced Kimberly that she was not Victor's daughter, but refused to discuss the matter any further.  However, Caroline pretty much admitted that Victor had fathered one of her kids.  Kim was under the mistaken impression that her older brother Roman was Victor's son, since Victor and Caroline's relationship had pre-dated the Brady Marriage.  I recall that folks who had not seen/heard about the reveal in SOD were stunned.

It's probably one of the most key storyline developments in DOOL history.  It triggered outstanding stories for the better part of two decades.

The :who's the daddy: stories for MIke Horton and Will Horton get all the publicity/praise, but Bo Brady being a Kiriakis had ramifications for years.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's going to be a fan event at Studio City, CA on November 9 with Vincent Irizarry, Patrika Darbo, Matt Ashford, Guy Wilson, John-Paul Lavoisier, Brody Hutzler, Jordi Vilasuso, Brandon Beemer, Marie Wilson, and Kyle Lowder.

Wow -- that's a random assortment of cast offs, isn't it? Weird?

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

Wow -- that's a random assortment of cast offs, isn't it? Weird?

I understand that they get people who are available and willing, but isn't there a "recent" Days qualifier in order to do these events?  Trust me, I love me some Brody Hutzler and desperately wish that they got him back as Patrick Lockhart, especially now, but he hasn't been on the show in 11 years. Not that I wouldn't want to hear from him or others it just seems strange to go from someone who just left the show, to someone who is currently on, to someone who hasn't been on in over a decade.

• Love 4

This would be better suited for the Bitterness Thread, but I don't think we can discuss spoilers in that thread, so I'm posting it here.

Jason47 posted the episode rankings for the year up to the end of October, and Marci Miller leads with 113 episodes.  My bitterness comes from the fact that after being "the star" all year, she couldn't extend her contract long enough to finish the Chabby arc, and that we are going to have to endure the return of Kate Mansi until Chabby sail off into the sunset. I'm also bitter that Stefan is ranked #2. And Chad # 3.  And 2 of the top 3 characters are leaving Salem. And the # 2 actor has left the show.  

And yet, Stephen Nichols, who wants to be on the show is, as far as we know, still not back.  

Rank. Actor (Character) # of Episodes
1. Marci Miller (Abigail DiMera) 113
2. Tyler Christopher (Stefan DiMera) 111
*. Billy Flynn (Chad DiMera) 111
4. Eric Martsolf (Brady Black) 106
5. Kristian Alfonso (Hope Hernandez) 92
6. Kassie DePaiva (Eve Donovan) 90
7. Mary Beth Evans (Kayla Johnson) 89
8. Camila Banus (Gabi Henandez) 87
9. Galen Gering (Rafe Hernandez) 86
*. Deidre Hall (Marlena Evans-80/Hattie Adams-17) 86

https://www.facebook.com/Jason47s-Days-Website-137323003076649/