Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, swtrgrl said:

Sigh. I wanna see Chandler/Christopher Horita chemistry. And maybe Chandler won't hold back this time (on the intimate stuff).

That is the one thing that Guy had over Chandler, he was all for it, when it came to sex scenes with Freddie and Christopher. He is very active in the LGBT community.  He is one class act and it is too bad that he was subjected to the worst bullying that I have ever seen in my life.. The trolls were so brutal and they even harassed his family.  How low do you have to be to attack somebody's family.

• Love 10
On 5/23/2017 at 0:37 PM, Apprentice79 said:

The trolls were so brutal and they even harassed his family.  How low do you have to be to attack somebody's family.

They were beyond brutal to his girlfriend. Poor thing. Ridiculous. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Sean Christopher's girlfriend tweeted to him the other day, "Happy 10 months sober."  Hm.  Hadn't heard that.

He was a bit out of control publicly sometimes (fan events, etc). But it wasn't so bad that the gossip mill was rampant.

4 hours ago, swtrgrl said:

He was a bit out of control publicly sometimes (fan events, etc). But it wasn't so bad that the gossip mill was rampant.

He is just stunning now. Staying away from the alcohol has made him more handsome and youthful..

• Love 1

It's not the actors' fault that the storylines go the way they do (mostly). They're just playing a role someone else wrote. 

Dislike them for their lack of skill but bullying for any reason is stupid, much less b/c you don't like how the writers have taken a story.

• Love 6
On 6/20/2017 at 3:52 PM, Star Aristille said:

And yet more disgusting fan behavior.  I mean, I want Chad back with Abigail, too, but that's over the line.

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Galen Gering, Greg Vaughn, and Jason Thompson have launched apps to let their fans keep in touch with them

Here's the article, with links to the apps.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/three-soap-faves-launch-app-connect-directly-fans/

People use the anonymity of the web to give voice to their worst selves.

And, some people are just moronic assholes.

If the wanna go after someone, mock those three losers with their 5 dollar masturbatory apps.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

So Wayne Northrop and Lynn Herring's son Hank will be making an appearance (sounds like a one day show) on B&B. 

Do you know the name of the character he'll be playing?

On 6/20/2017 at 6:52 PM, Star Aristille said:

And yet more disgusting fan behavior.  I mean, I want Chad back with Abigail, too, but that's over the line.

Apparently her "bullies" she blocked weren't even addressing her, they were hating on Gabi to the NBC Days twitter.  

Characters get hate, Gabi killed a Horton and is a Hernandez, she should be used to it.  Heck, Billy Flynn one part of this story disliked it and was vocal.  May be she's not used to it in this magnitude where it actually affects

Spoiler

the fact the story plot was so panned and hated that it is over.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I think he caught a little flack on twitter for being a little one-sided in that interview. Nothing hardcore, just some fan base fussing. His heart just doesn't seem to be in the triangle. What's funny is, he realizes it's not his job to write or judge the material written, his job is to act it, but he judges it anyway and then puts it out there. 

I mean, he has to know that is going to make some fans unhappy. It sucks for fans to invest then basically find out that the actor doesn't want to play things the way they're written because he doesn't believe in it. I can't say I blame them. 

I guess I'm glad I prefer the Chad/Abigail pairing, too. 

• Love 5

Yeah I was seeing that twitter flack too. I appreciate an actor speaking their mind but he overdoes it sometimes I think. No actor should ever just put right out there that they just couldn't sell the story line because they didn't agree with the material or the way it was written (his "checking out" comments). 

As you said at the end of the day your job is to act it without judging it, whether you believe it's done well or not. Hope he gets that under control.

Also I agree that he should strive to be a little more neutral just for his own benefit. What's going to happen the next time someone or something comes between Chad/Abby (this is a soap after all)?  You can't just marry yourself to one couple publicly ... imagine if Susan Lucci did that for crying out loud?

I do appreciate him trying to preserve what he sees as Chad's core though. He just doesn't have the sway some other actors do it sounds like.

• Love 2

I think he wants the character integrity of his character based on how he built it and how Chad's was originally told.

Then he gets thrown the fake backstory of baseball tutors and having to film those scenes from highs chool that never happened or meshed with his version or Casey's version. Plus having to erase the actual story of how much disdain Chad had for her and I just don't think it's that he wants only Chabby it's that he wants the story to make sense and do the character justice. 

I like that he can say that hey this doesn't work for Chad based on how he's been written before. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

I think he wants the character integrity of his character based on how he built it and how Chad's was originally told.

Then he gets thrown the fake backstory of baseball tutors and having to film those scenes from highs chool that never happened or meshed with his version or Casey's version. Plus having to erase the actual story of how much disdain Chad had for her and I just don't think it's that he wants only Chabby it's that he wants the story to make sense and do the character justice. 

I like that he can say that hey this doesn't work for Chad based on how he's been written before. 

I totally agree with him. I think he tried to be as diplomatic as I think he could be and still show his disdain, but we have a scenes like where Chad declares that he's full out in love with Gabi at TBD, and Billy was bending over backwards, IMO, to try to explain that kind of straightforward stuff away. So, I knew that some Chad/Gabi fans were going to be pissed. 

• Love 4

My thing with Chad/Gabi is this...if you ignore the fake backstory (b/c it's not necessary) then I buy them falling for each other. They were both grieving Abby (him as husband, she as friend) and they were thrown together in many stupid dangerous situations. they became close. Their kids are growing up together. That part of it makes sense. Dena threw in fake backstory crap that isn't needed to make the love story work.That's what makes it stupid.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, swtrgrl said:

My thing with Chad/Gabi is this...if you ignore the fake backstory (b/c it's not necessary) then I buy them falling for each other. They were both grieving Abby (him as husband, she as friend) and they were thrown together in many stupid dangerous situations. they became close. Their kids are growing up together. That part of it makes sense. Dena threw in fake backstory crap that isn't needed to make the love story work.That's what makes it stupid.

So do we also ignore the real backstory?  The backstory that we've all been watching for the past - what, 10 years?  That's my problem.  There's real history there, and Gabi was an awful person to Chad.  If he wants to forgive her, then they need to actually show the characters discussing it and working through it, not just pretending it all never happened and making up a fake backstory that we're also supposed to forget.  It's a soap, I can forgive a lot - but this pairing is just too much.  

• Love 3

Chad and Abby's back story was also rewritten as I remember some folks would tweet him about what actually aired and he would tweet that he wasn't told that. So it's not like their history wasn't rewritten to be something that didn't air in the first place (Abby wanted Cameron more than Chad and Chad wanted Melanie more that Abby; Chad and Abby dated but it was never some "you're the only one for me and I love you passionately so much" relationship). I saw some who were accepting of that rewrite cause they didn't like Melanie so it was *okay* then but is wrong now.  Hmmm. 

I think rewriting Chabi's history was silly and lazy, not to mention there was more organic drama in them dealing with their actual history vs a whitewashed BS history. I don't understand why TPTB thought it was better to change the history of both pairings instead of just working with what did happen between them & build on that for each pairing. Just trifling, I guess. 

Also, talking about one's self in the third person is douchey. Billy Flynn needs to stop that. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Chick2Chic said:

Chad and Abby's back story was also rewritten as I remember some folks would tweet him about what actually aired and he would tweet that he wasn't told that. So it's not like their history wasn't rewritten to be something that didn't air in the first place (Abby wanted Cameron more than Chad and Chad wanted Melanie more that Abby; Chad and Abby dated but it was never some "you're the only one for me and I love you passionately so much" relationship). I saw some who were accepting of that rewrite cause they didn't like Melanie so it was *okay* then but is wrong now.  Hmmm. 

I think rewriting Chabi's history was silly and lazy, not to mention there was more organic drama in them dealing with their actual history vs a whitewashed BS history. I don't understand why TPTB thought it was better to change the history of both pairings instead of just working with what did happen between them & build on that for each pairing. Just trifling, I guess. 

Also, talking about one's self in the third person is douchey. Billy Flynn needs to stop that. 

I didn't see Chad and Abby as a rewrite though.  They haven't completely whitewashed all history - they are just a couple that didn't work out the first time, but then got back together.  Abby also had that thing with EJ.  Oh well, at least Abby didn't stalk him, then fake being stalked, kidnap his girlfriend, murder a guy, etc....

I bolded the part I really agree with.  I think soap writers aren't very smart, and assume the audience isn't either.  If they write some crap, and feed it to us, maybe we'll buy it and forget everything else!  Yeah... we're not *that* stupid.  (Just only kinda stupid for still watching this show...)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

Chad and Abby's back story was also rewritten as I remember some folks would tweet him about what actually aired and he would tweet that he wasn't told that. So it's not like their history wasn't rewritten to be something that didn't air in the first place (Abby wanted Cameron more than Chad and Chad wanted Melanie more that Abby; Chad and Abby dated but it was never some "you're the only one for me and I love you passionately so much" relationship).

They weren't rewritten that much, Chad loved her so much the guy faked cancer to keep her from Cameron. Also while she did have feelings for Cameron too, she did pick Chad and chose to lose her virginity to him.  They don't pretend Melanie/Chad don't exist, they even shared scenes on her last return. 

Gabi and Chad ignored all history of the characters from especially Casey's version of Chad and pretend like none of that happened and instead insert the fake back story of a baseball and fake prom connections like they were star-crossed highschool sweethearts that never happened and we saw all the opposite. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, SanLynn said:

Yeah I was seeing that twitter flack too. I appreciate an actor speaking their mind but he overdoes it sometimes I think. No actor should ever just put right out there that they just couldn't sell the story line because they didn't agree with the material or the way it was written (his "checking out" comments). 

As you said at the end of the day your job is to act it without judging it, whether you believe it's done well or not. Hope he gets that under control.

Also I agree that he should strive to be a little more neutral just for his own benefit. What's going to happen the next time someone or something comes between Chad/Abby (this is a soap after all)?  You can't just marry yourself to one couple publicly ... imagine if Susan Lucci did that for crying out loud?

BF brings a lot to the screen, but I totally agree.  If you can't integrate some writing like Chad/Ciara or Chad/Gabi into your soap character, the character is probably not as interesting as you think.

I'm not sure marrying himself to one couple is strictly a BF thing though.  It's a Days thing.  It's what they've always done.  Days is the couples soap  A couple reaches a certain peak of popularity and yeah they have interlopers, but they always end up back with the same person.  Bope had Billie and Aiden.  Jarlena had Roman and Kristen.  JnJ had Frankie and Daniel.  Carrie and Austin had Mike and Sami.  Shelle had Mimi and Philip, but they always end up back together.  Chad and Abby, and Will and Sonny, imo are the newest versions of this.  I'm not saying it's the right way to do things, but it's what I expect when I watch Days. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Artsda said:

Gabi and Chad ignored all history of the characters from especially Casey's version of Chad and pretend like none of that happened and instead insert the fake back story of a baseball and fake prom connections like they were star-crossed highschool sweethearts that never happened and we saw all the opposite. 

Wrong.  They didn't ignore squat.  They had a long talk about the bad stuff that went on during Casey's stint as Chad while they were trapped in the panic room during the Orpheus/Clyde/Xander siege.  Those flashbacks we saw were newly-inserted events that happened in high school.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Wrong.  They didn't ignore squat.  They had a long talk about the bad stuff that went on during Casey's stint as Chad while they were trapped in the panic room during the Orpheus/Clyde/Xander siege.  Those flashbacks we saw were newly-inserted events that happened in high school.

They ignored it. At that point they had already pretended like Chad liked Gabi when he didn't even tolerate her and in fact she didn't even support KM's Abby getting together with BF's Chad. 

By time panic room all they were doing was trying to white wash the real history away. They never actually had to work through it, they just pretended like he never thought she was an evil bitch (his words). Perhaps if they did play up that hate and showed it turn to love this story would have worked better than it did. Instead they went the Chad can't dress himself route and needed Gabi around as a stylist route like they were good pals.

And those flashbacks were a joke, none of that really happened and it was Dena trying to rewrite the history we already saw like Gabi telling Will&Sonny she hated baseball. Both actors spoke out against those scenes. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

They ignored it. At that point they had already pretended like Chad liked Gabi when he didn't even tolerate her and in fact she didn't even support KM's Abby getting together with BF's Chad. 

By time panic room all they were doing was trying to white wash the real history away. They never actually had to work through it, they just pretended like he never thought she was an evil bitch (his words). Perhaps if they did play up that hate and showed it turn to love this story would have worked better than it did. Instead they went the Chad can't dress himself route and needed Gabi around as a stylist route like they were good pals.

I think another thing is that they totally rushed it.  A few weeks of her dressing him and he was already looking googly eyed and depressed when Gabi was with JJ.  If they had played that as being sad and missing Abby maybe that would have worked, but it wasn't at all.  It was already playing like he was in love with Gabi.   Then they brought Abby back probably too soon and they knew realistically he would never be torn that quick, so they started to make up these weird things like the baseball, and the fact that Gabi knew Chad liked sappy movies.  We never saw that, we did see Chabby 1.0 go on a movie date and comment on the fact that Abby had liked action movies.  Chad and Abby had all these little small character moments when played by Kate and Casey, they were boring but I think that helped a bit with their foundation later on.  

(edited)
21 minutes ago, ihavenoidea said:

I think another thing is that they totally rushed it.  A few weeks of her dressing him and he was already looking googly eyed and depressed when Gabi was with JJ.  If they had played that as being sad and missing Abby maybe that would have worked, but it wasn't at all.  It was already playing like he was in love with Gabi.   Then they brought Abby back probably too soon and they knew realistically he would never be torn that quick, so they started to make up these weird things like the baseball,

They totally rushed it, the Chad/Gabi thing only started in the first place because they had cast Marci and was bringing back Abby. It was never about Chad/Gabi and all about set up for Abby returning alive when Chad was with someone else. I guess originally it was supposed to be Ciara, Billy was having none of that and then they threw in Gabi. Which showed on screen, if they really want to write this love story with Chad and Gabi they had the time to do it by not doing the Ciara plot and they could have had Chad work through his anger and hate of Gabi by her trying to be his friend to help him through his grief. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2017 at 10:28 AM, FnkyChkn34 said:

So do we also ignore the real backstory?  The backstory that we've all been watching for the past - what, 10 years?  That's my problem.  There's real history there, and Gabi was an awful person to Chad.  If he wants to forgive her, then they need to actually show the characters discussing it and working through it, not just pretending it all never happened and making up a fake backstory that we're also supposed to forget.  It's a soap, I can forgive a lot - but this pairing is just too much.  

I don't have a problem with the Chad used to hate Gabi thing. That's good soap...love to hate to love, etc... 

And they did discuss that a bit in the safe room. they didn't wash it away. It was discussed...maybe not enough to some's liking but it was discussed.

• Love 3
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, Artsda said:

No, they didn't.  They made sure we knew that they remembered that they had some bad history between them.  It's just easier for some to forget because Chad was played by a different actor at the time.  But no, they did mention and talk about it.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 4

Yeah, I'm willing to "forgive" the rewrite of Chad and Gabi getting along and being friends again, just like I'm willing to "forgive" the change that Chad and Abby were always destined lovers.  The first time they dated he picked Melanie over her, the second time they were getting close she actually wanted Cameron.  It wasn't until Chad faked his illness that Abby slept with him, she found out, dumped him, he was shot and in Boston recuperating in the interim.

Don't get me wrong I like Chad and Abby but I have never saw them as a super couple or star crossed lovers.  To me they are just as viable as Chad and Gabi and I'm fine either way they end up with this triangle.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The SAG-AFTRA contract expires at midnight tonight, and if there isn't a contract by then, the union will call for a strike vote.  There wouldn't be time to start a vote until sometime in mid to late July, but if there is a strike, it could start by the end of the month.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/sag-aftra-strike-contract-talks-down-to-wire-midnight-deadline-1202122930/

IF this happens, I do wonder if soaps can recover. They dodged a bullet when a Writers' Strike was averted, but take out the actors? I don't know. It's not 1988. Heck, it's not even 2008, when the last two Writers' Strikes were.

Soaps seem to be gasping for air now. And, unfortunately, I think if this comes to pass, soaps are in dire straits and could fade away.

2 items on the SAG-AFTRA contract.  Apparently soaps are in a separate contract and it doesn't expire till next year.  And 2, the producers and the union have agreed to go day to day with negotiations so no strike vote is imminent.

• Love 2

Vanessa Williams seemed really sweet, and boy, when the hosts were talking, she seemed really involved in listening to what they had to say.

In the above video, there's a clip of Eric Martsolf performing in Las Vegas over 4th of July weekend.

• Love 1

I think Vanessa plays Val to be very boring and she isn't the greatest actress. But IRL she has a fun personality. I wasn't going to watch because I can't stand FS in interviews and because of his money making schemes but I'm glad I watched to see VW.

• Love 3