Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

VW was in a scene today with DH, LK, and MB on a girl's night out and she was so much better than I've ever seen her. When she is in the company of fantastic actresses she does well.

• Love 5
On 7/10/2017 at 5:27 PM, rcc said:

I think Vanessa plays Val to be very boring and she isn't the greatest actress. But IRL she has a fun personality. I wasn't going to watch because I can't stand FS in interviews and because of his money making schemes but I'm glad I watched to see VW.

He used to have 3 voices:

• Freddie
  • MLM schemes
  • Sonny

Now he has 1:

• MLM scheme 24/7. It's god awful.
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, swtrgrl said:

He used to have 3 voices:

• Freddie
  • MLM schemes
  • Sonny

Now he has 1:

• MLM scheme 24/7. It's god awful.

Freddie wants to be a life coach.. Who would pay him their hard earned money as a coach. His obsession with money is off-putting. Not to mention, taking advantage of fans to line his pockets.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, swtrgrl said:

He creeps me the fuck out now. *shudder* 

He was so uncomfortable and awkward on Dishin Days.  Expecially compared to VW and even LA from last week, who were both so charming in their own ways.  Freddie looked like he wanted to crawl out of his own skin.  It was strange.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, bannana said:

He was so uncomfortable and awkward on Dishin Days.  Expecially compared to VW and even LA from last week, who were both so charming in their own ways.  Freddie looked like he wanted to crawl out of his own skin.  It was strange.

I broke a promise to myself by watching DD last night. OMG, he was so uncomfortable. And why for the love of all things holy didn't anyone (callers in as well as the boards) not ask Freddie about Will/Chander's return? I mean, at least an impression about how he feels about it. He was FULL COURT PRESS Team PaulSon on the show and no one said anything to him. WTF?

Vanessa was great, though.

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, swtrgrl said:

I broke a promise to myself by watching DD last night. OMG, he was so uncomfortable. And why for the love of all things holy didn't anyone (callers in as well as the boards) not ask Freddie about Will/Chander's return? I mean, at least an impression about how he feels about it. He was FULL COURT PRESS Team PaulSon on the show and no one said anything to him. WTF?

Vanessa was great, though.

Why was Freddie uncomfortable? do you guys have any idea why? I think that Freddie is a scammer with his money making schemes. As a result, I don't really care for Sonny. I wish that the show would recast Sonny, Freddie's limitations as an actor have been exposed and you cannot put the genie back in the bottle..

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Why was Freddie uncomfortable? do you guys have any idea why? I think that Freddie is a scammer with his money making schemes. As a result, I don't really care for Sonny. I wish that the show would recast Sonny, Freddie's limitations as an actor have been exposed and you cannot put the genie back in the bottle..

I don't know...he just seemed really off kilter. It's not like he doesn't know what the show is like since he was on Spotlight On with James, Tony and Mark before this. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

He fired her.

This is the third time that he fired her from the show.  There must be a reason that he keeps hiring her.   I would not be surprise at all,  if her rehires her again in the future, if the show is still on the air..

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

This is the third time that he fired her from the show.  There must be a reason that he keeps hiring her.   I would not be surprise at all,  if her rehires her again in the future, if the show is still on the air..

Given how bitter she was over this most recent firing, I don't think she'd accept a rehiring offer from him down the road.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Given how bitter she was over this most recent firing, I don't think she'd accept a rehiring offer from him down the road.

We should be bitter. She is the worst. Ken Corday should have hired Ron and Sherry to do the 50th.  Ron is really good at anniversary shows.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

We should be bitter. She is the worst. Ken Corday should have hired Ron and Sherry to do the 50th.  Ron is really good at anniversary shows.

My 2 year old cousin would have done a better job at writing the 50th than DH.

• Love 7
On 7/20/2017 at 10:05 AM, Apprentice79 said:

Plus, Ron would never have killed off Will, a legacy gay character... NEVER...

Was that associated with the 50th too?  That story dragged on for way too long.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Was that associated with the 50th too?  That story dragged on for way too long.

The serial killer story was the story of the 50th that tied into the Hopefest, that was her wedding to Aiden..

• Love 1
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Which is ridiculous.

Absolutely agree. Didn't I read that they went this way for budget reasons or something? That doesn't make sense to me. GH has a huge cast and only films 3 weeks out and still apparently comes in under budget otherwise it wouldn't still be on the air given it's ratings. 

It would really be better for them to let the show catch up a bit to the taping and just shutter for a few weeks every few months. Then they could change narrative for stories that aren't hitting before they've bludgeoned the audience with crap they don't want to see. You know assuming they care what the audience thinks that is. LOL

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, SanLynn said:

Absolutely agree. Didn't I read that they went this way for budget reasons or something? That doesn't make sense to me. GH has a huge cast and only films 3 weeks out and still apparently comes in under budget otherwise it wouldn't still be on the air given it's ratings. 

It would really be better for them to let the show catch up a bit to the taping and just shutter for a few weeks every few months. Then they could change narrative for stories that aren't hitting before they've bludgeoned the audience with crap they don't want to see. You know assuming they care what the audience thinks that is. LOL

This is why the show has been so bad. They can no longer gauge the audience's reaction to stories and characters and act accordingly.  This is how Shane became a character, the audience had such a good response to him that they made him a permanent cast member. 

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, SanLynn said:

I would really like to know how GH does it.  I heard a while back that they only tape four days a week, but they must have cut back more at this point to stay in budget, with soap ratings what they are.

They actually do shutter for a few weeks every few months, but they are taping so fast that all it does is keep the tape-to-air gap from accelerating even further.  It's nuts.  I've wondered for a while if it isn't built into their accounting somehow for when Days finishes out its final contract.  It seems like Corday Productions will be able to pocket half a year of license fees.

Edited by lska
17 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Judi Evans has been tweeting about her job working for a cemetery (Rose Hills).  I worry this means she isn't getting enough work on Show.

Wait, what!!!!!!  Works there as in "a paid employee"? Not volunteer or family connection?  Nothing wrong with working for a cemetery but surprised if she is doing this to pay bills.  I can't imagine another soap wouldn't of tried to snatch her up if she isn't "full time" on Days.

With all the bad actresses around you would think a fine actress like JE wouldn't have to work for a cemetery of all things. She needs a new agent.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Wait, what!!!!!!  Works there as in "a paid employee"? Not volunteer or family connection?  Nothing wrong with working for a cemetery but surprised if she is doing this to pay bills.  I can't imagine another soap wouldn't of tried to snatch her up if she isn't "full time" on Days.

JE has worked there for years... maybe since the recession.  She left Days around that time as Adrienne, and soaps were looking pretty grim in general.  She works in sales, and she's given interviews over the years about it -- sounds like she enjoys it and likes the security of having a "real" job.  With the Days rollercoaster, going on and off contract, I don't blame her.  Given budget cuts in soaps, they don't pay the way they used to, and it's harder to have a buffer for the uncertain times.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, lska said:

JE has worked there for years... maybe since the recession.  She left Days around that time as Adrienne, and soaps were looking pretty grim in general.  She works in sales, and she's given interviews over the years about it -- sounds like she enjoys it and likes the security of having a "real" job.  With the Days rollercoaster, going on and off contract, I don't blame her.  Given budget cuts in soaps, they don't pay the way they used to, and it's harder to have a buffer for the uncertain times.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense to me.  I thought for a second this might be a "new" job she had to take to help pay the bills.

26 minutes ago, lska said:

She must enjoy it if that's the case.

On 7/27/2017 at 11:21 AM, SanLynn said:

Days' six month ahead of time schedule always baffles me. No changing what's not working. That's why I believe their ratings get so low and can't recover because a lot of fans know nothing will change for at least six months. 

• Love 5

Corday's "Ladies of the Lake", starring a slew of soap stars, is usually viewable only if you have a paid Amazon Prime account, but for the month of August, the so far four episodes are available for free, if you have an Amazon login.

For those of you who miss an episode....

Looks like DOOL has finally begun appearing on cable systems' on-demand option.

Comcast/Spectrum/FIOS/Dish all seem to have the past 10 episodes up and loaded for view.

No one is quite sure when this finally happened, so spread the news !

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

For those of you who miss an episode....

Looks like DOOL has finally begun appearing on cable systems' on-demand option.

Comcast/Spectrum/FIOS/Dish all seem to have the past 10 episodes up and loaded for view.

No one is quite sure when this finally happened, so spread the news !

It's about freakin' time. 

• Love 1
On 8/7/2017 at 1:32 AM, Silver Raven said:

Casey Dietrick was on today's Dishin Days.

Was Mark on? I always love how he refuses to acknowledge Chad before Billy played him. It's cute. He was that way when Chandler was on. It's all in jest, of course but still.

3 hours ago, swtrgrl said:

Was Mark on? I always love how he refuses to acknowledge Chad before Billy played him. It's cute. He was that way when Chandler was on. It's all in jest, of course but still.

No Mark wasn't on this particular episode.  When Mike Reilly (frequent caller) sort of made mention of it in jest it sort of went over Casey's head.  If Mark was there I think they would of had a little fun with it.

9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

OMG, Christopher Sean followed me on Twitter. I think it may be because I replied to a couple of Billy Flynn's anti-Trump tweets.

Billy Flynn liked a tweet I made once about how much better Chad was under him because he no longer came off like a vapid frat boy. Casey Deidrick is good-looking and all that, but Billy's Chad has way more inner life than his did.

• Love 3

Blake Berris, ex-Nick, was married Saturday.  His wife is the daughter of U2's former manager, and Bono and The Edge were in attendance at the wedding. Kate Mansi and Rachel Melvin were also in attendance.  Bono was asked to sing the national anthems at the fight in Las Vegas, but declined so he could attend the wedding.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Blake Berris, ex-Nick, was married Saturday.  His wife is the daughter of U2's former manager, and Bono and The Edge were in attendance at the wedding. Kate Mansi and Rachel Melvin were also in attendance.  Bono was asked to sing the national anthems at the fight in Las Vegas, but declined so he could attend the wedding.

So nice to see that he and Rachel Melvin remained close. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Artsda said:

Really nice.  Happy for Blake.  Hate how they ended the Nick storyline.  I didn't mind him going darker but they sort of cheapened out.  In the beginning they were hinting that Nick's homophobia was a result of him being gang raped in prison, but then they dropped that part of the story.  It would of added a nice layer of nuance/explanation as to why good guy Nick was now a raging homophobe especially toward his own cousin.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Really nice.  Happy for Blake.  Hate how they ended the Nick storyline.  I didn't mind him going darker but they sort of cheapened out.  In the beginning they were hinting that Nick's homophobia was a result of him being gang raped in prison, but then they dropped that part of the story.  It would of added a nice layer of nuance/explanation as to why good guy Nick was now a raging homophobe especially toward his own cousin.

True, not to mention, the Horton family's history with mental illness. Plus, Nick was always a bit obsessive. It was always a part of him.  It is why he and Abby in the form of  Ashley Benson was endearing, they got each other.  His pursuit of Chelsea on the internet bordered on stalking. Nick was sacrificed for that cretin Melanie. 

I never really understood why being gang-raped was what caused him to be homophobic. From watching documentaries of life in prison, the men and women who rape others in prison would have been straight on the outside.    Prison life just brings out the worst in people and people engage in same-sex relationships in prison, for a lot of reasons, that, had they not been in prison, they would not have done that. I always felt that the show added that salacious bit of information  about Nick's rape to mitigate his homophobia. In the same vein, that, the show suddenly wrote Gabi as an "abused" woman afraid of  Nick, to justify her murdering him in cold-blood. Both stories failed in my opinion.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

True, not to mention, the Horton family's history with mental illness. Plus, Nick was always a bit obsessive. It was always a part of him.  It is why he and Abby in the form of  Ashley Benson was endearing, they got each other.  His pursuit of Chelsea on the internet bordered on stalking. Nick was sacrificed for that cretin Melanie. 

I never really understood why being gang-raped was what caused him to be homophobic. From watching documentaries of life in prison, the men and women who rape others in prison would have been straight on the outside.    Prison life just brings out the worst in people and people engage in same-sex relationships in prison, for a lot of reasons, that, had they not been in prison, they would not have done that. I always felt that the show added that salacious bit of information  about Nick's rape to mitigate his homophobia. In the same vein, that, the show suddenly wrote Gabi as an "abused" woman afraid of  Nick, to justify her murdering him in cold-blood. Both stories failed in my opinion.  

I assumed they were going to go with the idea of Nick being gang raped and him dealing with his rage and grief was to internalize that behavior with being gay and gay men, even though that has nothing to do with it.  Nick was definitely someone who needed to be in counseling from his previous issues not even counting the rape. If explored correctly it would of been a decent storyline so of course it was removed and we were left with decent guy Nick who may have his issues turning into a huge homophobic villain out of nowhere.

• Love 2