Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

I think you misunderstood the point. What I have been saying is that keyboard warriors aren't the only ones who are entitled to freedom of expression. Sure they can say whatever they want but so do people who'd call them out. It doesn't matter if that person is a working actor like Linsey Godfrey, or some big names like Lady Gaga. Freedom of expression applies to everyone and actors are also included.  If it only apply to people we agree with, that's not freedom at all.

Edited by sweetautumn
  • Love 4

No one said she wasn’t entitled to freedom of expression. But if everyone got butt hurt or took it personally if not everyone liked them or they encountered a douchbag no work would ever be done. 

And speaking out defensively when dealing with snark is not akin to speaking out against civil rights offenses or environmental activism or whatever. 

• Love 2

Well that's not certainly not the impression I got before. Since actors bashing are encouraged here, not surprised some'd consider them as different species as far as freedom of expressions is concerned.

Of course people can say that easily because it really does not affect them the way it affects others. It won't be shock at all they'd cry foul when if affects them. Again you misunderstood the point. I only brought MeToo movement, civil right and other social progresses as examples on why it's important to speak out when people are harassed. LG did that, and that's not buttheard. That's called defending yourself from dickheads etc. Of course if the advice one offers here is turn the other cheek or bury head in the sand, then I've got nothing more to say.  

Edited by sweetautumn
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

No one said she wasn’t entitled to freedom of expression. But if everyone got butt hurt or took it personally if not everyone liked them or they encountered a douchbag no work would ever be done. 

And speaking out defensively when dealing with snark is not akin to speaking out against civil rights offenses or environmental activism or whatever. 

You're right, Petunia13.  

It seems pretty simple to me.  If you're an actor/artist who's on social media, if you're there thinking this is just some sort of fan club then you're in for a world of surprise.  If LG or any others think that returning tit for tat with someone is appropriate then they're really in the wrong business.  

Thankfully, Previously.tv does not act as a fan club for either actors or shows,  unlike other sites that fit that bill.

Snark and actor bashing aren't the same at all.

Edited by boes
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, boes said:

Thankfully, Previously.tv does not act as a fan club for either actors or shows,  unlike other sites that fit that bill.

I lurk over at the DR site and this topic came up there as well. And someone rather negatively mentioned Previously.tv being all about criticizing actors. However, someone else then posted that although we here (prev tv) may criticize the actors, we do not tag them in our posts, so there is a difference. 

I don't think there's a problem with social media posts criticizing actors, however, IMO, I think it's cruel to tag the actor in the post, as it is a bit like telling them off to their face, which is probably something most people would not do.  Or at least I hope they wouldn't.

• Love 11
49 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I don't think there's a problem with social media posts criticizing actors, however, IMO, I think it's cruel to tag the actor in the post, as it is a bit like telling them off to their face, which is probably something most people would not do.  Or at least I hope they wouldn't.

I agree.  I didn't see anything wrong with the tweets posted in this thread. (I did not go to Twitter.)  I do think criticizing an actor and including them in their mentions is just as rude as the person who works in retail or restaurants who is insulted to their face.  But criticizing them on Twitter or on another board is fine. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, buffynut said:

I lurk over at the DR site and this topic came up there as well. And someone rather negatively mentioned Previously.tv being all about criticizing actors. However, someone else then posted that although we here (prev tv) may criticize the actors, we do not tag them in our posts, so there is a difference.

It's not like that place is any better.  They bash actors.  Or is it just Freddie Smith that they bash?  Either way, they used to rag on him all the time.  I banned from there probably because I was always questioning why they would always bash him.  At least, I think that's why I got banned.  I don't know.  They never told me why I was banned.  But I'm sure that had something to do with it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

It's not like that place is any better.  They bash actors.  Or is it just Freddie Smith that they bash?  Either way, they used to rag on him all the time.  I banned from there probably because I was always questioning why they would always bash him.  At least, I think that's why I got banned.  I don't know.  They never told me why I was banned.  But I'm sure that had something to do with it.

They used to trash Guy Wilson horribly as well.  It was almost like Guy was not a human being but an object for them to play with. It was really revolting.  Yet, they used to trash Chandler Massey before he was fired.  They also used to dehumanize Jennifer Lilley and what was worst the leader of the group was the moderator of that site. They hated Jennifer because she put that particular moderator in her place and ever since that day, they have had an intense hatred of her.  They think that Kate Mansi is the best actress ever.. The nastiness over there is stomach turning..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

They used to trash Guy Wilson horribly as well.  It was almost like Guy was not a human being but an object for them to play with. It was really revolting.  Yet, they used to trash Chandler Massey before he was fired.  They also used to dehumanize Jennifer Lilley and what was worst the leader of the group was the moderator of that site. They hated Jennifer because she put that particular moderator in her place and ever since that day, they have had an intense hatred of her.  They think that Kate Mansi is the best actress ever.. The nastiness over there is stomach turning..

Yes it is. I left a long time ago when they crucified AZ because Nicole mourned Daniel. The moderator dissed me when I didn't think it was necessary to be so hateful. To me no matter if you dislike the actor they are doing their jobs. 

I found this forum and never looked back. Better posters and better moderators over here. 

• Love 6

I like this forum, posters and moderators more too, which is why I've never joined over there. I do lurk, as they get scoops occasionally.  But they are just as (maybe even more) nasty towards actors as we are here, it's just, like has already been posted, they have different ones they love and hate.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

What site is this?

14 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

14 hours ago, rcc said:

Yes it is. I left a long time ago when they crucified AZ because Nicole mourned Daniel. The moderator dissed me when I didn't think it was necessary to be so hateful. To me no matter if you dislike the actor they are doing their jobs. 

I found this forum and never looked back. Better posters and better moderators over here. 

Yes!  I wasn't around during the Guy Wilson days, but I believe they treated him like trash.  They loved Chandler Massey when pill was going on, but since Sonny and Will are back together, they're back to trashing him.  And they still hate Jen Lilley and that moderator is still leading that charge.  That moderator is the worst.  The way she trashes Freddie Smith is like he did something personally to her.  I got into it with her over the Sonny character and Freddie Smith.  The very next day, I'm banned.  The thing is, I held back.  If I knew I was going to end up getting banned, I really should've said how I felt.  I should've let it all out.  That would've been a true reason for a banning.  If you disagree with that moderator, you end up banned.  There was another moderator over there who used to rag on Freddie Smith's weight.  They all seem to hate Freddie Smith over there.  What did he ever do to them?  Did he stomp on their cats or something?

But yes, they think Kate Mansi is a goddess.  The way they trashed Marci Miller was just awful.  They think they're so special just because they get some scoops.  Please.  That site is the worst.  The moderators are the worst.  The posters -- some of them have way too much time on their hands.  But they're the worst, too.  I've heard from people who's either been banned or left the site and they all say the same thing -- that place is trash.

• Love 6
On 1/21/2019 at 4:30 AM, superdeluxe said:

Yes!  I wasn't around during the Guy Wilson days, but I believe they treated him like trash.  They loved Chandler Massey when pill was going on, but since Sonny and Will are back together, they're back to trashing him.  And they still hate Jen Lilley and that moderator is still leading that charge.  That moderator is the worst.  The way she trashes Freddie Smith is like he did something personally to her.  I got into it with her over the Sonny character and Freddie Smith.  The very next day, I'm banned.  The thing is, I held back.  If I knew I was going to end up getting banned, I really should've said how I felt.  I should've let it all out.  That would've been a true reason for a banning.  If you disagree with that moderator, you end up banned.  There was another moderator over there who used to rag on Freddie Smith's weight.  They all seem to hate Freddie Smith over there.  What did he ever do to them?  Did he stomp on their cats or something?

But yes, they think Kate Mansi is a goddess.  The way they trashed Marci Miller was just awful.  They think they're so special just because they get some scoops.  Please.  That site is the worst.  The moderators are the worst.  The posters -- some of them have way too much time on their hands.  But they're the worst, too.  I've heard from people who's either been banned or left the site and they all say the same thing -- that place is trash.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:44 PM, Apprentice79 said:

giphy.gif

Whew, I see the tea was exceptional this weekend! Look, I've admittedly shaded Missy here but I just don't understand the need for all the actor hate I see over there. Like, pure unadulterated vitriol. It just sucks that they get spoilers released to their site because, ugh, that ringleader is unbearable. And some people just latch on to anything she says, it's like clockwork.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, buffynut said:

The other forum is discussing the below Tweet and all the replies.  It appears that Claire, Tripp, Stefan, Chloe are the 4 referred to being cut in the Tweet.

And that Rex, Leo are also gone, but that was already known.  And the return is Stacy Haiduk.   

Also one of the replies noted that VK (Ciara) would not be renewing her contract when it comes up.

Piano means guess?

i can’t imagine them getting rid of Ciara.   Aren’t they very invested in Cin?   

With Steve gone Tripp really has nothing to do.  Tripp hasn’t really had a story in a while.   Claire’s stories seem to be attached to Ciara and she barely has any scenes with her family members. 

Chloe is kind of a surprise as she seems to be involved in a lot stories and they keep testing her with guys. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, tribeca said:

i can’t imagine them getting rid of Ciara.   Aren’t they very invested in Cin?   

It sounds like she is choosing not to renew her contract so it isn't them getting rid of her. Maybe she wants to take a shot at primetime. She'll probably be back lol.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tribeca said:

Chloe is kind of a surprise as she seems to be involved in a lot stories and they keep testing her with guys. 

I agree. I would say I hope it isn't true, but the moderator on the other site pretty much confirmed it. I'll hold my thoughts until it's official, but I think it's weird that the show keeps getting rid of NB/Chloe just to bring her back a year or 2 later - I assume she'll return. The character is popular, the actress is popular with fans, and she still has tons of potential as an under 40 character.

The people they should get rid of like Brady, Rafe, and Kate somehow are safe. Hmmm... I'll wait for official word to give my true opinion about these rumors. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, 4evaQuez said:

I agree. I would say I hope it isn't true, but the moderator on the other site pretty much confirmed it. I'll hold my thoughts until it's official, but I think it's weird that the show keeps getting rid of NB/Chloe just to bring her back a year or 2 later - I assume she'll return. The character is popular, the actress is popular with fans, and she still has tons of potential as an under 40 character.

The people they should get rid of like Brady, Rafe, and Kate somehow are safe. Hmmm... I'll wait for official word to give my true opinion about these rumors. 

Plus, Chloe had two popular pairings with Brady and Philip.  If I was writing the show, I would have Chloe discover that Parker was Philip's while she and Brady fall back in love.  Philip could come back wanting Titan, Parker and Chloe back setting up his old rivalry with Brady. The story writes itself and I just don't get Ron.  Also, Chloe has a sister Joy that could be paired with JJ. JT could also come back and mix it up with the young crowd.  Joy and JT are not related to anybody on the show.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I don't understand, either, what Show is doing with Chloe.  She's not one of my favorites but lately I've been warming up to her.  She looks fabulous and I think she has talent, it's just that Show brings her back and then seems to have no clue what to do with her.  And then, like you say, there are others that seem to be enclosed in a bubble.......

• Love 7

I will be sad to see Claire go... It's like they completely abandoned the whole concept of her being a singer/songwriter and for the last year-and-a-half have been invested purely in her as some kind of mean girl foil for little miss perfect Ciara.

If Ciara is leaving as well, I'm kind of happy about it. The character has been a complete mess since they aged her up.

The one I'll miss the most probably though is Tripp, played by a good actor who was given absolutely nothing to do and a really depressing origin story.

They need to stop with Stacy as Kristen. Please God let them stop.

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I will be sad to see Claire go... It's like they completely abandoned the whole concept of her being a singer/songwriter and for the last year-and-a-half have been invested purely in her as some kind of mean girl foil for little miss perfect Ciara.

If Ciara is leaving as well, I'm kind of happy about it. The character has been a complete mess since they aged her up.

The one I'll miss the most probably though is Tripp, played by a good actor who was given absolutely nothing to do and a really depressing origin story.

I agree with all of that except SH as Kristen.  I think she's great.  Also love ED as Kristen.

3 hours ago, boes said:

I don't understand, either, what Show is doing with Chloe.  She's not one of my favorites but lately I've been warming up to her.  She looks fabulous and I think she has talent, it's just that Show brings her back and then seems to have no clue what to do with her.  And then, like you say, there are others that seem to be enclosed in a bubble.......

I think Chloe is the new Julie, sort of.  Always spilling tea, giving advice.  I am sorry to see her go but the actress seems to come and go frequently so maybe it is her choice?

Tripp should stay, and give him a story please.  When they finally get a good actor, they don't use him/her at all.  Again, he is probably choosing to leave for better opportunities, but it is a loss for Show.

• Love 5

Not going to lie: Not sorry to see Tripp go. And since Shawn is not here with any regularity, losing Ciara will leave Hope with neither of her kids on the canvas. That said, I also won't miss Ciara/Ben AT ALL. Watch though, she'll leave town with the loon or something.

(Disregarding all of the above for Ciara if the show recasts, after all. Even then, the thing with Ben may or may not last since recasts often don't have the same chemistry, etc.)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Not going to lie: Not sorry to see Tripp go. And since Shawn is not here with any regularity, losing Ciara will leave Hope with neither of her kids on the canvas. That said, I also won't miss Ciara/Ben AT ALL. Watch though, she'll leave town with the loon or something.

(Disregarding all of the above for Ciara if the show recasts, after all. Even then, the thing with Ben may or may not last since recasts often don't have the same chemistry, etc.)

If they recast with Lauren Bowles, all will be forgiven. Is she old enough yet?

• Love 7
13 hours ago, tribeca said:

Piano means guess? 

I think it means play.  As in "anyone want to play (the piano)"

13 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

It sounds like she is choosing not to renew her contract so it isn't them getting rid of her. Maybe she wants to take a shot at primetime. She'll probably be back lol.

I could see her wanting to try primetime since Cin has gotten good response and attention. But the odds aren't in her favour, and I also could see her wanting to come back in a year or so.

10 hours ago, tribeca said:

I want Steve back. 

I kinda do too, but I feel, especially with Tripp leaving, they won't be bringing Steve back. And as I said either upthread, or in another forum, they might as well write Kayla off the show too, as there's no reason for her to be around anymore.   

5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

But what else can they do if they want to tell a story that involves Kristen, and ED can't be convinced to come back? 

And, IMO, Stacy was a great recast, and that rarely happens, so no wonder they've asked her back.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, buffynut said:

But what else can they do if they want to tell a story that involves Kristen, and ED can't be convinced to come back? 

And, IMO, Stacy was a great recast, and that rarely happens, so no wonder they've asked her back.

Kristen is, arguably, the show's great villainess. Of course Ron wants to write for her - any head writer would. But when Stacy portrays her all I see is an old snake. Stacy's a beautiful woman, with plenty of charm, as we see when she portrays Susan. But Eileen has a magic star factor that brings so much to the table that no one else can replicate.

I'm really astonished Eileen didn't break out to bigger things in the 90s because she really did have it all - stunning looks, incredible charisma, sex appeal to spare and serious chops as a performer. Eileen delivers the kinds of performances you would think, for lack of a nicer way of saying it, a less attractive person would deliver. She doesn't just stand there and let her beauty do the work for her. She acts the hell out of everything. She can be subtle, funny, sexy, deranged, heartbreaking...but above all she's always entertaining. You just can't take her your eyes off her. No matter what morally questionable things Kristen was up to, you couldn't help but enjoy watching her carry out her plans. She was compelling and likable even in her darkest moments.

Kristen isn't who she is because of the writing she has received over the years. She is who she is because of everything Eileen brings the table, that allowed for Riley to write more and more challenging and interesting twists in her story. I can't imagine any actress pulling off what Eileen did in the 90s and inspiring that kind of passionate writing. Kristen did kind of eat the show at the time, but could blame them? If you have a star athlete on your team you give them every opportunity to make the big plays, don't you?

At this point in the show's history, Kristen has done a lot of shitty things and on paper she's become much harder to root for: raping Eric is a big one, and now showing up at Marlena's wedding and waving a gun around and trying to blow Sami away at point-blank range. All of that is pretty ugly stuff. Anyway, I'm very glad Eileen wasn't there to play it, because I think her Kristen is infinitely more rootable and enjoyable. Not just some deranged hag which is largely how she's come off since the recast. Ron can write whatever he wants for Kristen until the cows come home, but until Eileen is there on the screen playing it, it won't have half the weight or dignity or fun factor.

Nothing against Stacy. This is just one role that can't be recast. So that being said, I really wish they'd give it a rest and take on the challenge of *gasp!!!* creating new characters that are compelling in their own right that new actors can step into and embody as fully as Eileen has embodied Kristen.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

While I disagree that Chandler's been sleepwalking, you're not judged for the entire year - I think you get like a 4-minute reel. I thought his scenes where Will's memory returned were phenomenal (and I'm making a huge assumption that he submitted those scenes), so I'm a little bemused at no pre-nom but it's no big deal. I'm surprised Greg Vaughn didn't get anything for (again, assuming) his work around Nicole's death.

• Love 3

What in the world did Kate Mansi have to submit to be nominated? She was only here for a short time.

Sitting in the mental ward with a blanket over her head?

Walking around with a wig?

Being smug?

Having a hissy fit during the Hortons hanging ornaments party?

Edited by nilyank
  • Love 14

I think Chandler put in some good / decent work with his memory returning and mostly Will's scenes with Paul. The rest of his scenes fell flat to me.

I need to know what the rules are for guest performer cause I am side-eyeing some of those nominations. 

Sad to see Camila not get a pre-nom. I would've taken RSW over BF or TC (although TC at least seems alert in Stefan's scenes opposite anyone but Chabby) too but I'm more disappointed about Camila. I see Marci got Days only lead actress pre-nom. I guess Dee's Hattie as Marlena story didn't excite folks? Also, I don't like Martha but I can't think of anything compelling that Belle did this year. If she submitted the Belle vs her family over Marlena stuff, that didn't work for me at all but different strokes, I guess,. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

It's ridiculous that not only did Kate Mansi GET a nomination, but Camila Banus and Casey Moss didn't

Camila is the one I'm stunned over. She has been nothing short of amazing. I know how it works with reels and she easily had TONS to choose from. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

49 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Sad to see Camila not get a pre-nom. I would've taken RSW over BF or TC (although TC at least seems alert in Stefan's scenes opposite anyone but Chabby) too but I'm more disappointed about Camila. 

30 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Camila is the one I'm stunned over. She has been nothing short of amazing. I know how it works with reels and she easily had TONS to choose from. 

57 minutes ago, nilyank said:

What in the world did Kate Mansi have to submit to be nominated? She was only here for a short time.

Sitting in the mental ward with a blanket over her head?

Walking around with a wig?

Being smug?

Having a hissy fit during the Hortons hanging ornaments party?

Forget KM, I am astonished that Sal Stowers got a prenom--she played Lani without any sort of complexity of emotions, we were supposed to be seeing a woman torn up with guilt over lying about the father of her baby and all we got was Lani smiling happily.  But then again, KM won an award for over the top screeching and jumping on a bed.

It is beyond insulting that Camila Banus didn't get a prenom for her gorgeous and entertaining work--she showed a range of believably emotions from anger to sadness to grief to rage.  Damn!

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, howmanywords said:

She was robbed!!! Sal nominated. WTH

• Love 9
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Lordy.... totally agree.

Wonder which scenes she submitted...

Some of her fans posted that she didn't submit anything.

I forgot that James Read ( Ex- Clyde Weston) was on GH for a while.

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 4

I fast forward almost any time Sal Stowers is on. I can’t with her “acting,” and the way she pronounces -ing as -ink. Lani May also be the most boring character on the canvas.

I do not like SH as Kristen. It’s so weird; as Susan I don’t mind her, but as Kristen....”old snake” is a perfect descriptor. For some reason I find her tattoos off putting as well. I guess Kristen could have gotten some tattoos in the interim, but...? Eh.

I have not minded KM back as Abigail, but she has done nothing award-worthy.

Edited by carrier76
  • Love 5

I have a feeling this won't end well. Either they win, get the autonomy they want from SONY and are left to sink or swim on their own...or they lose the suit and SONY kills DOOL in retaliation. It's not like they care about keeping it healthy and thriving... clearly.

I don't know much about the business side of things, but it's obvious The Bold and the Beautiful survives because it has overseas viewers. That's probably why the show still does storylines in exotic locations. People in Europe watch it. Does anyone outside of North America follow DOOL...?

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I have a feeling this won't end well. Either they win, get the autonomy they want from SONY and are left to sink or swim on their own...or they lose the suit and SONY kills DOOL in retaliation. It's not like they care about keeping it healthy and thriving... clearly.

I don't know much about the business side of things, but it's obvious The Bold and the Beautiful survives because it has overseas viewers. That's probably why the show still does storylines in exotic locations. People in Europe watch it. Does anyone outside of North America follow DOOL...?

Days was popular in France years ago and they were like 6 years behind the viewers in North America.  What I find bizarre is that Ken Corday has accepted them cutting the show's budget every year. Why is he making a stink now?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

People in Europe watch it. Does anyone outside of North America follow DOOL...?

I thought Days had followings in Australia, The Netherlands, and South Africa? Been a while since I've heard anything either way, though. 

• Useful 1
55 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

I thought Days had followings in Australia, The Netherlands, and South Africa? Been a while since I've heard anything either way, though. 

The show was cancelled in the countries you mentioned. It is still airing in Norway and they are 5 years behind.

• Useful 1