Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
13 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Waaaaaaiiiiit. Hmmm...for the sleuths out there, is it possible PR is filming and all this "they asked/they didn't ask" stuff is classic misdirection? 🤔

If he's there, I'd expect his presence to leak by setside sources in spoiler places.  And, not that I'm one of these people, but if people think it's a bad look for him not to be there, I think it'd be worse for the show to treat it as a big surprise to reveal on a day that's supposed to be focused on Bill. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, brisbydog said:

I think they are filming the Christmas episodes a bit early so that they have Missy and Kristian for them

Based on the comments they made it seem that they have the year 2025 complete at this rate. Which would be wild since it's April 2024. Which many are speculating that Days may end soon. 

Which would explain why Kristian and Missy are sticking around beyond Doug's memorial. Plus they have the lawsuit from Ari I could see Ken ending the show right after they pass 60. 

• Sad 6
(edited)
17 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Based on the comments they made it seem that they have the year 2025 complete at this rate.

I think that's a misquote.  I bet Vaughn said that if they didn't work until 2025, it wouldn't matter because the year (2024) is complete, and not if they didn't work in 2025 they'd be okay. 

But I do think Cady's divorce and the fact that she's in NY explains why Missy is back as Jennifer.  Going to set isn't as convenient for Cady any longer.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
(edited)
39 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I think that's a misquote.  I bet Vaughn said that if they didn't work until 2025, it wouldn't matter because the year (2024) is complete, and not if they didn't work in 2025 they'd be okay. 

But I do think Cady's divorce and the fact that she's in NY explains why Missy is back as Jennifer.  Going to set isn't as convenient for Cady any longer.

This is what I'm basing it on 

Missy doesn't live close to set either as she lives in Nashville.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

From what I've heard GV isn't even on the show anymore so I wouldn't worry about anything he says

I heard this but it wasn’t confirmed though. We will find out soon enough 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

This is what I'm basing it on 

Right but this:

6 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Based on the comments they made it seem that they have the year 2025 complete at this rate.

Makes it seem like they currently have everything from 2024 and 2025 done.  That's not what he's saying.  He's saying that if they keep filming until the end of the year, by Dec. they could have everything for 2025 done so they still have a lot of filming left before next year would be done.

And it makes sense.  They usually take some extended breaks where the studio is shut down and filming about 8 months in advance would put them filming August in Dec.  They'd need to wait on a renewal before they could film beyond that.

5 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Missy doesn't live close to set either as she lives in Nashville.

I know but in one of her interviews, she said something to the effect of wanting to make sure Cady didn't want to take over the role since she considers it Cady's right now.  But since Cady is in NY, it's no more convenient for her to pop into DOOL as it would be for Missy. 

• Like 2

As much as travel is a factor, I don't think it's as cut and dry as "I don't live in LA, I can't come back to the show". I would venture Cady getting divorced from her husband is a bigger reason then her being able to book a hotel room for a few days. 

Also I personally don't know what Missy's situation is, travel and lodging may not be that big of an issue. In the interview she did, Missy sounded like she wanted to come back on a semi regular basis. 

I also feel like things and people change. Someone not willing/able to be on the show currently, doesn't mean we won't see them again. Hell, most who have left have come back. 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Which many are speculating that Days may end soon. 

As they always do and yet lol.

Someone not willing/able to be on the show currently, doesn't mean we won't see them again. Hell, most who have left have come back. 

Exactly. They pretty much all turn back up eventually.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I guess I foolishly believed Missy's exit and the permanent recast was due to some outcry from fellow cast members about her (Eli and Lani, IIRC?)

I guess she goes back too far with Corday to ever be shown the door.

Its fitting though for her to return for this memorial.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I guess I foolishly believed Missy's exit and the permanent recast was due to some outcry from fellow cast members about her (Eli and Lani, IIRC?)

It was Eli and Sarah (Linsey). Linsey had to drop off twitter due to the abuse from Missy's fan base, and I will always wonder if she was cut from the show right after as a result.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, brisbydog said:

It was Eli and Sarah (Linsey). Linsey had to drop off twitter due to the abuse from Missy's fan base, and I will always wonder if she was cut from the show right after as a result.

I think she was. Things have cooled down considerably since then, so I can see it becoming water under the bridge with time passing.

I've liked Missy always,  but I will admit to losing respect for her and looking at her differently.  I still am able to enjoy the character of Jennifer. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

I think she was. Things have cooled down considerably since then, so I can see it becoming water under the bridge with time passing.

I've liked Missy always,  but I will admit to losing respect for her and looking at her differently.  I still am able to enjoy the character of Jennifer. 

The actresses look fine with each other in the recent photos. All Linsey said was no matter how sweet somebody is that they need to be called out on supporting anything that calls to demean a segment of the population based on colour or sexual preferences. But Missy's fans called for her head. They still want her gone. 

• Angry 2
  • Useful 3
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

She returned back in 2021 also but I think her and Scott's parents are up there in age and I think they were dealing with that. At least that's what I remember hearing from someone that knows them.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, brisbydog said:

The actresses look fine with each other in the recent photos. All Linsey said was no matter how sweet somebody is that they need to be called out on supporting anything that calls to demean a segment of the population based on colour or sexual preferences. But Missy's fans called for her head. They still want her gone. 

Well f that.

Respect for all, period. Good on Linsey for saying it.

12 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Linsey had to drop off twitter due to the abuse from Missy's fan base, and I will always wonder if she was cut from the show right after as a result.

....if Linsey was cut, you mean? Or Missy?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Well f that.

Respect for all, period. Good on Linsey for saying it.

....if Linsey was cut, you mean? Or Missy?

Linsey was let go. She was gone for almost a year. Lamon said worse about Missy but I think it was harder to fire him and not look racist 

• Like 2
  • Angry 1
16 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Lamon isn’t on the show either. Linsey seems to come and go like everyone else.

Lamon left much later of his own volition. Linsey was let go in late 2020 right when the Missy stuff erupted. She confirmed it wasn't her choice in an interview. 

• Like 2
  • Angry 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Lamon left much later of his own volition. Linsey was let go in late 2020 right when the Missy stuff erupted. She confirmed it wasn't her choice in an interview. 

Isn't it true for most of the actors that it isn't their choice? Don't most of them prefer to be there on a regular basis rather than exiting and returning every six months or whatever it is? Like it was mentioned before, this happens all the time with this show and the actors usually say they wish they could stay/come back...

Also, I'm not sure l understand. Is the implication that LG was let go BECAUSE she spoke out about MR? Yes, the events may have happened around the same time, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re connected. Hasn’t LG left and come back at least once more since then? Why would she be the only one let go and not also LA (he left later on his own) if he also spoke out against MR? I don’t buy that it has anything to do with not looking racist because LG could have claimed that it was unfair to her to keep him, but let her go when they both spoke out  

I’m not saying that what they said about MR wasn’t true, I just don’t see where it had anything to do with LG leaving. Especially when it happens all the time with actors on this show. MR included. 

Edited by KBrownie
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, KBrownie said:

Isn't it true for most of the actors that it isn't their choice? Don't most of them prefer to be there on a regular basis rather than exiting and returning every six months or whatever it is? Like it was mentioned before, this happens all the time with this show and the actors usually say they wish they could stay/come back...

Also, I'm not sure l understand. Is the implication that LG was let go BECAUSE she spoke out about MR? Yes, the events may have happened around the same time, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re connected. Hasn’t LG left and come back at least once more since then? Why would she be the only one let go and not also LA (he left later on his own) if he also spoke out against MR? I don’t buy that it has anything to do with not looking racist because LG could have claimed that it was unfair to her to keep him, but let her go when they both spoke out  

I’m not saying that what they said about MR wasn’t true, I just don’t see where it had anything to do with LG leaving. Especially when it happens all the time with actors on this show. MR included. 

The timing was odd, and PT was definitely blindsided, and LG said she was let go. Recently they did an interview together and he was very carefully alluding to backstage crap that stopped the original Xarah story, but he stopped short of confirming.

All I know is that she was forced off twitter and that Missy's rabid fans still attack her and anybody who supports her. I have had to block a bunch

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I think people here give MR too much credit. Especially since Linsey has come and gone from this show since she's been here. We haven't seen MR since 2021. Lamon has also come and gone much like others. Outside of the OG Days actors at this point most of the actors have come and gone from this show as someone else pointed out nobody stays away for long(although there have been a couple of exceptions).  I don't think any of this is related to the other beyond storyline/budget reasons.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Like 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, brisbydog said:

The timing was odd, and PT was definitely blindsided, and LG said she was let go. Recently they did an interview together and he was very carefully alluding to backstage crap that stopped the original Xarah story, but he stopped short of confirming.

All I know is that she was forced off twitter and that Missy's rabid fans still attack her and anybody who supports her. I have had to block a bunch

🤷🏼‍♀️

I doubt MR has, or has ever had the  power to dictate who comes and goes or what stories get told. If she did, I wish she had stopped the awful way Jennifer, Jack, Laura, Abby were treated in service of trying to make Gwen popular. 

Sarah and Xander have had awful stories without MR being around, so whatever PT was alluding to could be anything.  I hate when anyone does that. Say what you mean or don’t. If they think MR, did something, then say it. 

It’s wrong that LG was attacked on Twitter, but that’s not on MR. Unless she was somehow participating or encouraging it, but as far as I know she isn’t even on Twitter. IG, yes, but not Twitter. 

I'm not a fan of some of MR’s personal beliefs, but unless she’s directly doing something against someone, she’s free to believe what she wants. Her castmates don’t have to like her, but if TPTB want to continue to work with her and as long as she isn’t intentionally antagonizing anyone,it is what it is.

Edited by KBrownie
  • Like 7
5 hours ago, KBrownie said:

I doubt MR has, or has ever had the  power to dictate who comes and goes or what stories get told. If she did, I wish she had stopped the awful way Jennifer, Jack, Laura, Abby were treated in service of trying to make Gwen popular. 

True, but she's powerful in that no Jennifer replacements are accepted and she's welcomed back to the show continuously.

Wow - I hadn't thought about how all 4 of those Horton were ruined by terrible writing. But they were. :(

• Love 2
1 minute ago, DisneyBoy said:

True, but she's powerful in that no Jennifer replacements are accepted and she's welcomed back to the show continuously.

And powerful enough to dictate Jason Brooks exit...even if it was her husband's demand. Makes me wonder how she gained so much power. Hmmmm.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

This is no different than any actor on this show who has long played a fan-favorite character where the audience prefers the original actor. She’s certainly not the only one who is powerful in this way. But the show must and does go on.  With or without MR.

It still doesn’t prove that she somehow had the power to get LG fired or somehow messed up story for Sarah and Xander. As has been pointed out, she hasn’t even been around all that much since 2020.  

• Like 2

I never said that Missy had any power or she wanted LG fired, I am saying her fan base turned on LG so badly she had to quit twitter and they still bully and harass anybody who supports her, and that I wonder if they also forced the show to 'rest' Sarah in 2021. I have been attacked myself for promoting Xarah on twitter and reviewing the attacking account was a trip into a scary Missy obsessed person.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

And powerful enough to dictate Jason Brooks exit...even if it was her husband's demand. Makes me wonder how she gained so much power. Hmmmm.

I'm confused.  How was she responsible for Jason's exit?  He left in 1998, over a year before Jennifer came back in 2000.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Didn't she have an affair with him and her husband made her leave the show? And then I guess, made them fire that guy for her to come back?

I am spotty on most of the details of Days gossip but I think that was a thing lol.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

Didn't she have an affair with him and her husband made her leave the show? And then I guess, made them fire that guy for her to come back?

I am spotty on most of the details of Days gossip but I think that was a thing lol.

Jason was on the show after MR left there was a recast Jennifer for a while Stephanie Cameron who really looked just like MR but lacked her charisma for the role. 

I thought Peter/Jennifer had great chemistry with MR in the role but not so much with SC's version

Peter/JB was on the show till 1998. MR didn't return till 2001. So no she had nothing to do with him being fired. She would've quit if he returned but he never did. I personally don't think the show cared about Peter as much as people around here think. They had many opportunities to bring the character back. It's not as if MR hasn't left the show for periods at a time since then. Peter could've returned even with a different actor but they never did. I mean they recasted Kristen who was way more memorable and superior with Eileen(and Kristen was way past her expiration date). 

If I had to choose between the Blake siblings that I rather see I would've gone for Peter but even he became a cartoon by the end but at least the show knew how to cut their losses. A shame they don't realize this with Kristen.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yes she had an affair with him, and she quit the show mid contract to save her marriage. The rumour is that her husband only let her return if the character of Peter was gone, but that seems wildly unlikely.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Things I believe and don't believe:

I believe MR's husband told her she had to leave the show if she wanted to save their marriage because of the affair.

I believe MR likely would never return as long as Jason Brooks was playing Peter. 

That said, I don't believe MR had anything to do with Jason Brooks leaving DOOL. The timing doesn't line up.

I do believe the show valued/values MR's Jennifer more than they valued JB's Peter and would have absolutely booted him if she let them know she'd come back if he weren't there.  But again, the timing doesn't really line up.

I've also seen speculation that they never brought back even a recast version of Peter because MR/her hubby have said she'd leave if the character (not just the actor but the character) were to ever return.  I don't know if I believe that. Like CanaryFan, I don't think DOOL cares much about Peter and don't want any of the messiness.  EJ and Tony scratch that male Dimera itch for them.

• Like 3

MR didn't have anything to do with JB leaving the show, but it's been a long standing rumor that part of MR coming back was that the character of Peter be "retired". 

That part I fully believe.  The show went years without even mentioning his name or acknowledging his existence as a character.  The most talk of Peter that we got was in the last couple of years since Missy left with the Dimera CEO wars. 

I can also see TPTB "retiring" the character just out of good faith when Missy did come back. Considering the real life circumstances, it probably wasn't worth the trouble.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, JBC344 said:

MR didn't have anything to do with JB leaving the show, but it's been a long standing rumor that part of MR coming back was that the character of Peter be "retired". 

That part I fully believe.  The show went years without even mentioning his name or acknowledging his existence as a character.  The most talk of Peter that we got was in the last couple of years since Missy left with the Dimera CEO wars. 

I can also see TPTB "retiring" the character just out of good faith when Missy did come back. Considering the real life circumstances, it probably wasn't worth the trouble.  

And that alone...the fact that the character of Peter was "retired" is IMO enough clout to keep him away permanently.

• Like 7

From what I've repeatedly read over the years, which of course could be totally made-up (yet seems consistently part of the story), MR's hubby walked in on her...um...how to put this...rehearsing a prayer scene of sorts with JB in a dressing room? And then the hubby threatened divorce and taking their kids away if MR didn't openly confess to their church congregation what she'd done.

Again, that's only what I've read and reread over the years.

If he was willing to do all that, I do believe a big part of her ever working at DOOL again would be dropping JB and Peter and never mentioning them again, as per his/her request.

The show probably didn't want to do anything for MR immediately after since A) her personal business had interfered with their planning and B) they sued her for walking out on her contract and C) JB was liked by viewers and the storyline was in full swing.

Letting him finish it out, resolving all the legal matters with MR and then inviting her back was kind of the best solution.

On 5/3/2024 at 6:39 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

there was a recast Jennifer for a while Stephanie Cameron who really looked just like MR but lacked her charisma for the role.

I didn't hate her. She was a decent actress and since she'd played the part a while, I'm surprised she wasn't invited back in recent years. It'd have made more sense than bringing Cady in and trying to get her accepted by audiences.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't know of Stephanie (before my time watching this show) but Cady hasn't done a good job with this part and they should have brought Stephanie back.

• Love 1
(edited)

Cady sadly has this...desperate energy as Jennifer that doesn't quite work. You can almost feel her trying to fit in and make it happen. It's a shame. She wasn't a bad idea for a recast.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Sorry to disagree about Cady. We each have opinions and I respect those expressed. I thought Cady was a better Jennifer and prefer her in the role. Nonetheless whether it’s MR or someone else has no impact on my life so ultimately it matters not to me. 

• Like 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

From what I've repeatedly read over the years, which of course could be totally made-up (yet seems consistently part of the story), MR's hubby walked in on her...um...how to put this...rehearsing a prayer scene of sorts with JB in a dressing room? And then the hubby threatened divorce and taking their kids away if MR didn't openly confess to their church congregation what she'd done.

Again, that's only what I've read and reread over the years.

If he was willing to do all that, I do believe a big part of her ever working at DOOL again would be dropping JB and Peter and never mentioning them again, as per his/her request.

The show probably didn't want to do anything for MR immediately after since A) her personal business had interfered with their planning and B) they sued her for walking out on her contract and C) JB was liked by viewers and the storyline was in full swing.

Letting him finish it out, resolving all the legal matters with MR and then inviting her back was kind of the best solution.

I didn't hate her. She was a decent actress and since she'd played the part a while, I'm surprised she wasn't invited back in recent years. It'd have made more sense than bringing Cady in and trying to get her accepted by audiences.

Yep. That was what I heard also years  ago. Little pious Missy Born again was being a bad Christian. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

From what I understand, Stephanie Cameron isn't in acting anymore.  That's why they didn't call her back.

24 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Jessica Serfaty at the Met Gala. I'm happy she actually wore something fun and different.

jessica-serfaty-leonardo-del-vecchio-met

I wonder what her connection was to the event. I do think it's different but not in a "awful way" either. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Jessica Serfaty at the Met Gala. I'm happy she actually wore something fun and different.

jessica-serfaty-leonardo-del-vecchio-met

Jessica looks quite glamorous & she followed the theme of the Ball which was about Time in a Garden...she has flowers on her cape.  I assume she is there because her husband is a billionaire who must know 'someone" :) (maybe he is friends with Anna Wintour).

• Like 4