Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Ari as Nicole is never coming back because she's suing the show and Corday. That bridge is burnt.

Ari is very courageous to do this. No other soap will approach her and she must know how hard it is for women over 50 to get a job in other entertainment areas.

I don’t know how many DOOL fans read social media news on a regular basis and have found out the details about Alarr and now this lawsuit, but I know I watched the show differently after his firing. I looked at all the vets and wondered “how long have you known?” Looking at the sex scenes, I asked myself if the creep was there making actors do things they were extremely uncomfortable doing. (I thought they had an intimacy coordinator for the threesome was it just for that scene?)

I’ve been an on and off fan of the show for over 40 years, but my enjoyment  is not worth a continuing toxic work environment. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 7

This is all so appalling.  I have great admiration for Ari for fighting this, especially since we all know the world, that world especially, gives short shrift and cold comfort to those who fight to right internal wrongs.  She's a brave woman.

It makes me heartsick to think of how these women must have been treated, the dread they had to work under, every day.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 10
2 hours ago, Desperado said:

Ari is very courageous to do this. No other soap will approach her and she must know how hard it is for women over 50 to get a job in other entertainment areas.

I don’t know how many DOOL fans read social media news on a regular basis and have found out the details about Alarr and now this lawsuit, but I know I watched the show differently after his firing. I looked at all the vets and wondered “how long have you known?” Looking at the sex scenes, I asked myself if the creep was there making actors do things they were extremely uncomfortable doing. (I thought they had an intimacy coordinator for the threesome was it just for that scene?)

I’ve been an on and off fan of the show for over 40 years, but my enjoyment  is not worth a continuing toxic work environment. 

Forget soaps no other entertainment program will entertain her after this. Then again Hollywood isn’t the behemoth it used to be so maybe a change will come 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Someone mentioned on another board they didn’t get along. If true they were professional.

Oh okay. They came across as friends during Brandon 1st stint as Stefan/Jake based on what I had seen. It was just like covid hit she started opening her mouth, her anti Vax shit, putting folks at risk cause of it & him having a young child Harper that I thought was the straw that broke the camel back. Yeah if they have never been friends they good as hell at faking it.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I could see GT in the role but would she want this mess?

GT an'it touching this shit with a 10ft pole

• Like 2
16 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

What are the odds this doesn't end the show, though...?

I don't understand why it would. 

12 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Ken owns the show I would be surprised if he didn’t cancel it out of spite. 

To spite whom?  It'd be a self-inflicted wound.

7 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Ari as Nicole is never coming back because she's suing the show and Corday. That bridge is burnt.

Missy Reeves says "hello." 

I still think the odds are greater that she does eventually come back than she doesn't.  Corday is mad right now but one day an EP will come back claiming they need AZ back and he'll cave. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

But Corday was mad enough at her to sue but years later

What was the basis of his lawsuit? IIRC, it was her husband who "removed" her from the show, and when she returned, not only did he dictate her every move, he also demanded they fire the guy she "pleasured". Both Corday & Scott have some ego!

Edited by Soapy Goddess
  • Like 6
4 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

What was the basis of his lawsuit? IIRC, it was her husband who "removed" her from the show, and when she returned, not only did he dictate her every move, he also demanded they fire the guy she "pleasured". Both Corday & Scott have some ego!

It was breach of contract because she had to vacate the role abruptly while still under hers. Here's what her wiki says.

Reeves abruptly left Days during the show's thirtieth anniversary season, and Corday Productions and Sony TV Entertainment sued her for breach of contract. The matter was settled out of court with Reeves paying an unspecified sum, which Days Executive Producer Ken Corday donated to pediatric AIDS research.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't understand why it would. 

To spite whom?  It'd be a self-inflicted wound.

Missy Reeves says "hello." 

I still think the odds are greater that she does eventually come back than she doesn't.  Corday is mad right now but one day an EP will come back claiming they need AZ back and he'll cave. 

Ken sued her not the other way around and while that’s surprising they got past that soaps were in a better place then. If she sued him she wouldn’t be welcome back. 

Now it’s a dying industry and Ken owns the show. Yes I think he’s spiteful enough to do that. He let it get to this point to begin with 

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, Jaded said:

It was breach of contract because she had to vacate the role abruptly while still under hers. Here's what her wiki says.

Thank you, Jaded. So I was right the first time, Missy burnt her own bridge.

• Like 2

Well...

Look, I'm not her biggest fan, but her having some fun with her costar shouldn't have derailed anything. It's happened before and shows have gone on to make their deadlines. I think those involved would have been professional and done the work however it played out, but her poor betrayed hubby wanted to destroy her over it.

Didn't he threaten to take away the kids if she didn't walk off the show and then confess her sin to their whole church...?!

What a lunatic. I can't imagine how Missy stayed with him for real after that.

Or had the gall to side with homophobic business practices, but I suppose that's another question.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Well...

Look, I'm not her biggest fan, but her having some fun with her costar shouldn't have derailed anything. It's happened before and shows have gone on to make their deadlines. I think those involved would have been professional and done the work however it played out, but her poor betrayed hubby wanted to destroy her over it.

Didn't he threaten to take away the kids if she didn't walk off the show and then confess her sin to their whole church...?!

Or had the gall to side with homophobic business practices, but I suppose that's another question.

Yes he threatened to take their daughter which is why she left the show from what I remember.

They were always an odd pair to me only because she dated better looking and more liberal men than him. Opposites attract I guess. 

Days is truly a better soap off camera than on it at least currently.

• Like 4

I had no idea Ari Zucker had been let go. I assumed she was on a small hiatus or something. I don't know how much longer I'll continue to watch now. Eric & Nicole has always been a huge draw to keep me watching. THIS SUCKS !!!

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
1 hour ago, A.J. said:

I had no idea Ari Zucker had been let go. I assumed she was on a small hiatus or something. I don't know how much longer I'll continue to watch now. Eric & Nicole has always been a huge draw to keep me watching. THIS SUCKS !!!

I think that was the case originally but they retaliated against her being the whistleblower for the Alarr scandal is my guess 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I think that was the case originally but they retaliated against her being the whistleblower for the Alarr scandal is my guess 

That explains so much about why Holly was so abruptly written off the show.

I'm hoping Tate gets to stick around. I like him.

• Like 3
On 2/10/2024 at 5:00 AM, DisneyBoy said:

Well...

My spouse cheats on me, I'm not going to let him to continue to work with the other person on a daily basis.  That would just be insane.  Not sure how the wronged person in this case becomes the bad guy.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Tate/Holly are one of the few bright spots on this show. 

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

My spouse cheats on me, I'm not going to let him to continue to work with the other person on a daily basis.  That would just be insane.  Not sure how the wronged person in this case becomes the bad guy.

I don’t have an issue with him not wanting them to work together. I do think that you shouldn’t threaten to take their kid from them over it. 

• Like 10
7 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

This recent firing won't affect stories until late summer. The current break from Nicole and Holly occurred last July when she was vocal on Twitter about Alaar. She will be back on screen from February to August. I'm sure Tate will return too he was also on a 4 week break at rehab

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
On 2/9/2024 at 1:14 AM, boes said:

I'm sure Show will just slap a new wig on Emily O'Brien and have her play Nicole.

Sadly, I can actually see this happening. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Dont know where to put this, but FYI...the little actor who plays Thomas(Chad's son) just appeared in a Pringles ad during the Super Bowl...he is wearing a fake mustache.

It's better than Stefan's isn't it?

• Applause 1
  • LOL 9
16 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Dont know where to put this, but FYI...the little actor who plays Thomas(Chad's son) just appeared in a Pringles ad during the Super Bowl...he is wearing a fake mustache.

I usually put this in the Evil Twins thread. Kate Mansi was also in an ad. Funny Abby and Thomas are in the SB

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 2/10/2024 at 5:00 AM, DisneyBoy said:

Well...

She stayed with him because she’s  a “righteous”  lunatic also.  And being homophobic goes along with it. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 2
On 2/11/2024 at 8:59 AM, CanaryFan98 said:
On 2/11/2024 at 6:34 AM, Katy M said:

I don’t have an issue with him not wanting them to work together. I do think that you shouldn’t threaten to take their kid from them over it. 

Yeah, who does he think he is?   Todd Manning?

• LOL 6
(edited)
On 2/11/2024 at 1:32 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I'm pretty sure that Tate is more than likely going to stick around. He's pretty popular and there's supposed to be more teens introduced sometime this year. Besides, I'll bet that Theresa might more than likely decide to give up all parental rights to Brady after she is inevitably exposed and her relationship with Alex implodes before she heads off to California again. 

Edited by MissPhoenixGirl
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
45 minutes ago, MissPhoenixGirl said:

I'm pretty sure that Tate is more than likely going to stick around. He's pretty popular and there's supposed to be more teens introduced sometime this year. Besides, I'll bet that Theresa might more than likely decide to give up all parental rights to Brady after she is inevitably exposed and her relationship with Alex implodes before she heads off to California again. 

I sincerely hope that happens especially since I think Brady is better in family stories than relationships(but I feel this way about all the characters on the show that aren't part of OG pairings). 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, MissPhoenixGirl said:

Adriana would be free and clear for a possible pairing, right? I don't think she and Tate have any connections. No, wait, Nevermind, they're cousins. Wait, No, Brady and Sami are only step siblings so it could still work. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

Adriana would be free and clear for a possible pairing, right? I don't think she and Tate have any connections. No, wait, Nevermind, they're cousins. Wait, No, Brady and Sami are only step siblings so it could still work. 

Sami and Theresa are first cousins on the Brady side. So Will and Theresa would be cousins, too.

• Like 1
(edited)

I would say bring in Joy Wesley but they mentioned her being in grad school. Then again, it wouldn't be the first retcon. Maybe there could be a plot about an oddball genius girl who already has her PHd but decides to be a normal 17-year old girl and enroll in high school? She can be plainly gorgeous but hiding in glassss. Joy is the one of the few characters I can think of that would be pretty much clear for pairings due to Craig and Nancy not having any ties and Chloe only having one child. Is there anyone else like Joy?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I would say bring in Joy Wesley but they mentioned her being in grad school. Then again, it wouldn't be the first retcon. Maybe there could be a plot about an oddball genius girl who already has her PHd but decides to be a normal 17-year old girl and enroll in high school? She can be plainly gorgeous but hiding in glassss. Joy is the one of the few characters I can think of that would be pretty much clear for pairings due to Craig and Nancy not having any ties and Chloe only having one child. Is there anyone else like Joy?

I agree Joy would be wonderful. However, I think the only issue is who would be her anchor on canvas. It would have been great if they could have introduced Joy (and a teen Parker) when Chloe, Craig, and Nancy were on canvas. She'll at least have a year's worth of ties to the canvas by the time Chloe left.

If the show brought on Parker, I guess they could emphasize his ties to Maggie and Sarah and Holly - if she returns - and then bring in Joy that way.

I also think JT would have been a good addition to the cast when Hope/Bo/Ciara were still on the cast. He would have had an honorary connection to the Horton/Brady family without being blood related to anyone, I think.

Again, it feels too late with the Williams/Brady portion of the show absent.

The should could also SORAS Evan and Jan Spears kid. 

Jordan Ridgeway also had a kid that could be SORASED. However, I don't remember who the father was.

There are a few kids on the show that have little biological relations, but it seems the problem is there aren't any anchors for them.

• Like 2
(edited)

That's David Ridgeway. Christian/Evan is his father. He was raised by Rafe for a few years but then got taken by Christian's sister to raise. His half-brother, who Jan tried to pass of as Shawn's, was taken by Jan who skipped town and "killed" Evan" when he tried taking the baby with him.

The story with David is that Christian/Evan showed up as his manny but then started falling for Sonny. (I think Evan is the only canonically bisexual male character that this show has had.)

So David really wouldn't have too many ties on this show, but he'd have an anchor with Rafe.

I mean, it would be a pretty radical SORAS but 12 years is nothing for this show. LOL I think Tate was born about three years earlier on-screen. David was born off-screen around 2018.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I agree Joy would be wonderful. However, I think the only issue is who would be her anchor on canvas. It would have been great if they could have introduced Joy (and a teen Parker) when Chloe, Craig, and Nancy were on canvas. She'll at least have a year's worth of ties to the canvas by the time Chloe left.

If the show brought on Parker, I guess they could emphasize his ties to Maggie and Sarah and Holly - if she returns - and then bring in Joy that way.

I also think JT would have been a good addition to the cast when Hope/Bo/Ciara were still on the cast. He would have had an honorary connection to the Horton/Brady family without being blood related to anyone, I think.

Again, it feels too late with the Williams/Brady portion of the show absent.

The should could also SORAS Evan and Jan Spears kid. 

Jordan Ridgeway also had a kid that could be SORASED. However, I don't remember who the father was.

There are a few kids on the show that have little biological relations, but it seems the problem is there aren't any anchors for them.

Evan/Christian(Orpheus's son) who also fathered Jan's kid. 

I was hoping Jordan's kid was Rafe's not only did I think they actually worked as a pairing but it would've already given that kid ties to Salem through Rafe/Gabi along with Ari and her family yet not be blood related(beyond Ari)

• Like 4

This is the only thread that's working for me right now.  Nice upgrade.  David was born the same day as McKenzie and Rachel so it would be hard to sorts him.  I always thought he was going to end up being the real McKenzie and it was someone else's babu that died.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, oceanblue said:

This is the only thread that's working for me right now.  Nice upgrade.  David was born the same day as McKenzie and Rachel so it would be hard to sorts him.  I always thought he was going to end up being the real McKenzie and it was someone else's babu that died.

This website has been working like crap for months. The “upgrade: didn’t help. It seems like what the timeout was for was to look at our responses to the poll they had and unfortunately it turns out this place is going to be even more restrictive. We have to watch every little word and reaction even more closely so no one gets butt hurt. I was hoping that the responses would show that we were tired of the incredibly strict moderating, but it didn’t go that way.. I really long for the days of television without pity . 

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

If Corday is mismanaging the show, but he solely owns the show, how do things improve? He'd have to sell it to someone else?

They don’t. I think he would cancel the show before he gave it up

• Sad 5

I'm not gonna disable Adblock to read that. Can anyone recap? I'm assuming it's just one of those 'Days is totes getting cancelled this time' takes that pop up every couple years before the show is once again renewed lol.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm not gonna disable Adblock to read that. Can anyone recap? I'm assuming it's just one of those 'Days is totes getting cancelled this time' takes that pop up every couple years before the show is once again renewed lol.

I gave it a quick read and it looks like speculation to me, though it seems to come down on the side of the show being renewed, not cancelled.  Some big shot apparently says they're VERY happy with the show's popularity.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

They also mentioned that the show is already filming shows into their 60th year, so they are assuming they will be renewed. 

The former part isn't surprising given the long tape to air delay this show has.

• Like 2