Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, brisbydog said:

https://www.soapoperanews.net/2023/08/albert-alarr-issues-statement-following.html?m=1

Alarm statement where he blames two individuals for his firing. He sounds like an ass

Surprising that he blames only 2 individuals (I wonder if one of them is Lisa Renna given she's a prominent name and spoke out? Or maybe they are producers who wanted promotions) when it appears many of the cast wanted him out. He says the studios caved to pressure to fire him but he doesn't explain why he was told to take some training. I'll agree the studios caved to outside pressure. It seems to me the studios thought they could get away with an egregious long-standing HR issue with a little retraining but the public outcry (and maybe pressure from SAG per some gossip) forced them to change course and in this case, that was probably the best decision. If this guy has been doing this for many years, it's terrible the cast had to endure it for so long; it's even worse that Corday seemed checked out and let it happen

• Like 9
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I doubt it was easy.  The cast had to publicly lobby for him to be removed.

But don't discount the power of going public. Something similar happened at Northwestern recently.  There was an investigation into hazing.  The university was going to give the coach a mild suspension, but then the details went public and led to a firing due to public pressure.

Yeah that's true and I also have my thoughts on that Northwestern but that's a separate discussion entirely. I just don't see any real change happening in the end. They'll just cover their tracks better.

I feel like there's way more to this story than what's being reported. I mean I'm glad Alarr is gone but I feel like he's a fall guy for something even bigger. He went unchecked for so long and how convenient he's dropped like this now instead of much sooner(like it should've been).

I don't buy that Ken isn't complicit and that this is also happening on other soaps tbh. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yeah that's true and I also have my thoughts on that Northwestern but that's a separate discussion entirely. I just don't see any real change happening in the end. They'll just cover their tracks better.

I feel like there's way more to this story than what's being reported. I mean I'm glad Alarr is gone but I feel like he's a fall guy for something even bigger. He went unchecked for so long and how convenient he's dropped like this now instead of much sooner(like it should've been).

I don't buy that Ken isn't complicit and that this is also happening on other soaps tbh. 

If Corday was as checked out as some of the stories implied, then I can see this going on for a long time with him ignoring festering problems and especially if Alarr was in charge of the day to day stuff and ignoring issues since he was the problem. Plus, many companies have been slow to react to changing times and the MeToo movement until the media publicizes the problems. So yeah, I think Corday is likely complicit in at least ignoring things and letting them fester, if not worse than that

• Like 11
On 8/5/2023 at 11:21 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I only hope this helps the company heal...and improves the overall quality of the show.

I don't have as much hope because Ken Corday is still here, but he doesn't seem to meddle as much now as he did back in the Dr. Tan days. He just LOVED himself some Taniel and even said once he wished he could put Dr. Tan on every day. It was like, "No shit, really? I NEVER would have guessed!"

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

Linda Dano has a podcast now where she chats with friends in the soap biz, and in her episode with Judi Evans - Bonnie - she shared that she was completely overwhelmed during her stint as Viv on DAYS. The lack of rehearsal and breakneck pace threw her for a loop so much that after her first day of shooting, she returned to her hotel, poured herself a drink and cried...!

As a huge fan of her work on Another World, I could sense her lack of ease on DAYS from the start, but chalked it up to her having to step into such an established character. To think a soap legend with her decades of professional experience would be shaken that badly by the operating procedures at DAYS really paints a depressing picture.

I didn't love her take on Viv (mostly due to the script), but it sounds now like she was just trying to get through it.

Actors, even great ones, are only human and can only do so much. I wish she'd had a better experience.

And if Days is now shooting NINE episodes in five days, it makes you wonder how the purse strings could possibly be tightened any further. 

Are these extreme measures due to mismanagement of resources, or is DAYS just a victim of the cold hard financial realities of running a soap in 2023?

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Are these extreme measures due to mismanagement of resources, or is DAYS just a victim of the cold hard financial realities of running a soap in 2023?

Mostly the latter, I'd assume. GH seems to be in the same boat as Days. They just don't put as much money into soaps anymore. Well, maybe the CBS ones. I don't watch so I don't know if they look like they get more money lol.

• Like 4
On 8/9/2023 at 9:46 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Mostly the latter, I'd assume. GH seems to be in the same boat as Days. They just don't put as much money into soaps anymore. Well, maybe the CBS ones. I don't watch so I don't know if they look like they get more money lol.

They are definitely in the same boat at this point. Although B&B looks better in that they have better outside shots but maybe because it's a half hour soap they can make that $$ stretch better? They are able to go to Rome etc because this soap is shown internationally.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I thought this was an old tweet (I have no idea what it is called now with the stupid name change!), but it is dated a mere 4 days ago. So...yeah.

I know people find Tripp boring, but THAT FACE! Oh, that face! I just adore him.

• Like 6
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

Wow this is sad to hear she was such a fun character back when soaps could write for one. 

I was hoping one day we would have an Anna/Calliope scene again. Obviously won't happen now I also hope if they do a tribute just do an In Memoriam tag. I still remember the Renee debacle(even though Anna/Tony had that touching scene)

Fun fact she's married to Christopher Lloyd who co-created Modern Family. My condolences to him and their sons. May she RIP.

• Like 10

Terrific.

We could have had 12 weeks of Jen as Theresa...or a simple in and out with her....but instead they decided to do a hybrid? And put one actress right after the other? And put a wig on Emily?

???

TIIC indeed.

I love how Jen made Theresa fun and sassy all while being devious. A recast just isn't worth it, frankly. She's safer offscreen really and Theresa's business with Brady could have waited until Jen was free again a few months down the line.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

Not sure why it's an "either or" Rachel Melvin has nothing to do with whether or not Patsey was asked back. That's directed at Twitter. 

The news about Patsey makes sense. Totally not worth it unless you are writing her a multi-week/ months Arc.  Or she has family or an apartment she keeps in LA. Sad they don't have the budget to bring people in for special occasions.  

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2023 at 5:28 PM, JBC344 said:

Not sure why it's an "either or" Rachel Melvin has nothing to do with whether or not Patsey was asked back. That's directed at Twitter. 

The news about Patsey makes sense. Totally not worth it unless you are writing her a multi-week/ months Arc.  Or she has family or an apartment she keeps in LA. Sad they don't have the budget to bring people in for special occasions.  

I agree I hate Chelsea but the actress is doing her job. Not sure why she should be blamed for it.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, brisbydog said:

This got the tears going. Lovely. (When I read she was married to Christopher Lloyd, my first thought was, "Isn't Reverend Jim from Taxi a little too old for her?!" and then, like a moron, realized it was another guy in the biz with the same name. That doesn't happen too often! May he be smiling through his tears and take strength from their sons and family and friends.)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 9/19/2023 at 6:10 PM, peachmangosteen said:

That link doesn't seem to be working so let me try.

There's something really sweet about this. We're far, far, far from the glory days of soaps but it's nice to see these actors being employed and getting to do something they love, at least for another year.

• Like 8
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Brandon Barash and his wife recently had a baby boy  - Joaquin.

I recall, not long ago, there was a video with Brandon and his daughter, Harper, doing one-on-one time together.

Being an only child for so long, I thought it was nice that they had that time. I'm sure Harper is thrilled with her sibling, don't get me wrong.

But it is probably a bit of an adjustment, too! Either way, congrats to the entire family! 😊

• Like 1