Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

With such a toxic work environment (since 2015???), I understand why most performances are less than stellar. Alarr should’ve been fired, a written warning is ridiculous at this point.

I feel so bad for the actors and the crew. I really don’t feel like watching anymore.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3

His behavior has been an open secret for a long time. I've read about it on various sites for years and have always thought it was disgusting that they've continued to keep him around. 

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, Jaded said:

His behavior has been an open secret for a long time. I've read about it on various sites for years and have always thought it was disgusting that they've continued to keep him around. 

Probably knows where the bodies are buried so to speak 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Clearly this expose is meant to put pressure on the show to fire him....but will they? He's so engrained in the running of the series...

I could see Days getting cancelled before that happens as he probably knows things that Corday may not want out there for public consumption. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

What sort of stuff?

These teases leave me confused....

This toxic environment didn’t come out of nowhere. Plus there could have been affairs, sexual favors etc involved. Could get real messy if what I suspect is possible. 

• Sad 2

This whole subject makes me sad on so many levels. Now I’m wondering which and how many of the actresses left because of a toxic workplace. Plus it seems as if there is no pay parity. And to top it all off, the show is hanging on by a thread. Sad, very sad.

• Sad 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, FrankOFoley said:

This whole subject makes me sad on so many levels. Now I’m wondering which and how many of the actresses left because of a toxic workplace. Plus it seems as if there is no pay parity. And to top it all off, the show is hanging on by a thread. Sad, very sad.

This is probably why Marci left and KM signed to GH although I don’t think they wanted Abby back regardless of actress. 

Might also be why ED never wants to stick around long term other than Kristen being too crazy to make it work as a long term character.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Probably knows where the bodies are buried so to speak 

It's probably more boring than that.  The article pointed out strengths he had (directing and I'm assuming getting the show done on time and within budget) and it's not uncommon for execs to value that over employee morale or even women feeling safe from harassment.  It's easier to falsely hope "training" is going to help someone like this and that people on set grow a thicker skin than get rid of him for the horrible culture he created.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Might also be why ED never wants to stick around long term other than Kristen being too crazy to make it work as a long term character.

I wonder what she's seen over the years, given her successful 2012/2013 return, and then less successful extensions until the fall from the Italian window.

I've always assumed it was more an issue of pay and her not wanting to let them make Kristen unlikable by keeping her around forever....but you never know. She might have taken the temperature of the production and decided it wasn't worth hanging around.

Was Alarr's wife even a writer in general before he made her a scriptwriter on DOOL?

• Like 3

This is such disheartening news. In the casting thread, we've discussed how it only seems to be women who are on these odd temporary schedules where they leave for months and return or leave entirely. It's sad to learn that there's a systematic and abusive reason why women are forced to do this.

On 7/25/2023 at 3:17 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Just coming to post this. Here are some details:

https://deadline.com/2023/07/days-of-our-lives-misconduct-investigation-albert-alarr-1235417732/

Wonder if one of those male stars that left abruptly was Jay Kenneth Johnson? This may explain everything, just why the show seems like a mess. Because it is.

JKJ is the only man I can think of who's seemed to leave abruptly and under suspicious circumstances lately. He immediately came to mind. It would also explain the recent news we are discussing in the spoiler thread.

As for the woman who was yelled at during a sex scene, I assume that's MM/Belle. The article states she was in her early 40s "at the time," and MM is currently 46. (Today is her birthday according to Wikipedia). The last sex scene I remember with her is with EJ last year, and when you take into account the 6-month film-to-broadcast gap for filming at Days, MM probably would have been around 43 or 44 at the time of filming.

NB/Chloe is currently in her early 40s, but she is still filming sex scenes. AZ is in her late 40s, but she is also still filming sex scenes. I can't think of any other woman who would fit. 

I'm not certain who would have been kissed inappropriately at an awards show. The article didn't give enough information to make a reasonable guess. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It's probably more boring than that.  The article pointed out strengths he had (directing and I'm assuming getting the show done on time and within budget) and it's not uncommon for execs to value that over employee morale or even women feeling safe from harassment.  It's easier to falsely hope "training" is going to help someone like this and that people on set grow a thicker skin than get rid of him for the horrible culture he created.

It’s very possible but I would be surprised tbh considering how many people have been exposed in Hollywood over recent years. It rarely is that boring. 

13 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I wonder what she's seen over the years, given her successful 2012/2013 return, and then less successful extensions until the fall from the Italian window.

I've always assumed it was more an issue of pay and her not wanting to let them make Kristen unlikable by keeping her around forever....but you never know. She might have taken the temperature of the production and decided it wasn't worth hanging around.

Was Alarr's wife even a writer in general before he made her a scriptwriter on DOOL?

She shows up on Y&R regularly though. Granted Ashley is more human than Kristen but both are Sony and she prefers one over the other why?

• Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

It’s very possible but I would be surprised tbh considering how many people have been exposed in Hollywood over recent years. It rarely is that boring. 

These are two separate things.  There is a lot of abuse, which has been going on for ages.  But the reason people get away with it isn't usually because they have blackmail material on their bosses but rather that higher-ups either don't believe it's happening or turn a blind eye.  In other words, they're either not believing women or valuing profit over people.  No blackmail needed.

Not wanting to be inconvenienced, or hold a confrontation or not wanting to believe a bad thing about someone a person likes is far more conducive to people getting away with bad behavior.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

These are two separate things.  There is a lot of abuse, which has been going on for ages.  But the reason people get away with it isn't usually because they have blackmail material on their bosses but rather that higher-ups either don't believe it's happening or turn a blind eye.  In other words, they're either not believing women or valuing profit over people.  No blackmail needed.

Not wanting to be inconvenienced, or hold a confrontation or not wanting to believe a bad thing about someone a person likes is far more conducive to people getting away with bad behavior.

That's true a lot of higher ups just don't care. I mean see Bill Cosby on NBC. 

However I also believe this sort of behavior doesn't happen in a vacuum either. If actors are doing this sort of thing imagine what Hollywood bigwigs do.

• Like 1
On 7/25/2023 at 4:17 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Wonder if one of those male stars that left abruptly was Jay Kenneth Johnson? This may explain everything, just why the show seems like a mess. Because it is.

I'm thinking the early 40's actress he brought to tears was Nadia Bjornlin.

2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Makes you wonder about it’s future 

I sincerely hope Peacock can last long enough to fulfill the 2-year renewal they gave Days so they can go out on 60, but man is that not looking good. 

• Like 6

That's not surprising.  They have had one or two good shows but I think they expected their catalog to do more work for it than it has. 

I know people saw DOOL moving to Peacock as a bad omen for the show's future but I've had the less popular thought that DOOL was moved there to try to boost Peacock with a show with a regular audience AND that there was a real possibility DOOL would outlast the streamer.

So if they decide to wrap up  Peacock, I don't necessarily think it's going to be the end of DOOL.  Either NBC will put it back on broadcast or some other streamer will take a gamble on having a daily soap.  Maybe even the ad-supported streamers like Freevee, Tubi or The Roku Channel. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Maybe even the ad-supported streamers like Freevee, Tubi or The Roku Channel. 

Freevee is experimenting with the soap format because they picked up the once-cancelled Australian soap Neighbours for two years.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4

That's actually a shame about Peacock. They have a lot of great original shows. They cancelled most of them though, which is par for the course with streaming lately. 

8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I know people saw DOOL moving to Peacock as a bad omen for the show's future but I've had the less popular thought that DOOL was moved there to try to boost Peacock with a show with a regular audience AND that there was a real possibility DOOL would outlast the streamer.

This.

We're now in the 'Days is DEFINITELY getting cancelled' portion of the year. It happens every year and every year they just keep trucking along lol.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That's not surprising.  They have had one or two good shows but I think they expected their catalog to do more work for it than it has. 

So if they decide to wrap up  Peacock, I don't necessarily think it's going to be the end of DOOL.  Either NBC will put it back on broadcast or some other streamer will take a gamble on having a daily soap.  Maybe even the ad-supported streamers like Freevee, Tubi or The Roku Channel. 

You would think NBC would take it back with the strike and all but this is the same network that took it out of broadcast TV with very little fanfare to begin with. They might just end it for good. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

You would think NBC would take it back with the strike and all but this is the same network that took it out of broadcast TV with very little fanfare to begin with. They might just end it for good. 

Why would the strike impact anything?  The strike impacts their prime time output.  Their non-scripted daytime stuff is fine.  So unless NBC wants to air DOOL in prime time, it still has more value on Peacock where they have months of scripted material banked that people might pay for.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Why would the strike impact anything?  The strike impacts their prime time output.  Their non-scripted daytime stuff is fine.  So unless NBC wants to air DOOL in prime time, it still has more value on Peacock where they have months of scripted material banked that people might pay for.

I was thinking they could use it for PT but you have a point they can pay to watch

• Like 1

I was hoping since today is Friday something might happen. Big news will sometimes be dropped on Fridays in hopes the weekend will bury it some until Monday comes along. Doesn't look like any good Days news will be coming down the pike today though.

• Useful 2
(edited)

I think they are dealing with all the "new" stories that weren't part of the investigation that have come out in the last week.  If they are haulting production that is a good thing!!! 

Edited by JBC344
  • Useful 1

Not surprising that there's more details about what's been going on. The cast along with the fans now are getting angrier and angrier that they've kept him around this long.

• Like 9
22 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I feel like there’s way more to this. Seems too easy this happened (despite this happening for years and only being public knowledge now)

I doubt it was easy.  The cast had to publicly lobby for him to be removed.

But don't discount the power of going public. Something similar happened at Northwestern recently.  There was an investigation into hazing.  The university was going to give the coach a mild suspension, but then the details went public and led to a firing due to public pressure.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, mariah23 said:

About damn time.

You beat me to posting. Say what one will about the quality of the remaining soaps, but piss off the fans, and there is hell to pay! Those fans that did the hashtag #FireAlarr on Twitter (it will always be Twitter to me!) should be proud.

It's just sad that it took public outcry to do the right thing.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

You beat me to posting. Say what one will about the quality of the remaining soaps, but piss off the fans, and there is hell to pay! Those fans that did the hashtag #FireAlarr on Twitter (it will always be Twitter to me!) should be proud.

It's just sad that it took public outcry to do the right thing.

I have a feeling the cast going public was a bigger factor

• Like 10
  • Love 2