Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Days of Our Lives Heartthrob Opens Up About the On-Set ‘Panic’ That Got Him Fired — and Almost Ended His Career

CURTIS HARDING

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18TH, 2022

Credit: Paul Skipper/JPI

Losing your first big break is downright devastating.

If there’s one thing that every daytime fan is well aware of, it’s that working on a soap opera is not easy. They have to film at a near breakneck pace to keep the shows coming out five days a week, and few move nearly as fast as Days of Our Lives which films months in advance.

More: Lucas Adams marries his beloved co-star

Though it’s only gotten faster in recent years, that still doesn’t mean it was a piece of cake back in 2007 when Trevor Donovan joined the show. Back in those days, Donovan was a fresh-faced actor who’d just scored his first real series. And he wasn’t playing some bit character either. Jeremy Horton was Mike Horton’s son, and Jennifer’s nephew. He was a legacy character who just returned to town for the first time as a grownup, fully fleshed character of his own.

Jeremy was troubled, though, with a bumpy past that included fraud and shoplifting, and during his stay in Salem, he flew smuggled goods for the DiMeras. Eventually he was busted, and he said goodbye to Salem and went on the run. That took just five month. And now it sounds like that wasn’t necessarily the plan for him.

On Dancing With the Stars’ “Most Memorable Year” episode, Donovan opened up about his first big job. 2009, it turns out was his most memorable year. And a big reason for that was because of his brief soap stint.

Jeremy and Stephanie were a bit of an item. If he’d stuck around, maybe she could have ended up a Horton too.

Credit: Paul Skipper/JPI

“I was a struggling actor,” he shared with dancing partner Emma Slater. “I had booked Days of Our Lives, a three year contract. I was so excited. I finally got a job as a working actor, but I would get in front of the camera and just panic. There’s similarities here with this dancing stuff. So they fired me.”

It was, he admitted, devastating. He struggled for years after that trying to make it as an actor. Getting fired from a daytime soap for panicking on camera is tough to recover from, not just professionally, but also, we’re sure, mentally and emotionally.

Finally, he recalled, “I decided to put it on ice for a little bit. I decided to go back home to Maryland.”

He was going to build a house with his dad and take a break from the life that was beating him down so much.

“I almost sublet my apartment,” he said, giving up the Hollywood life, “and then I got a call from my manager saying the casting director wants to see me for 90210. ‘You’re working on Monday.’”

From there, the rest is history. He stayed on 90210 for its whole run, bumping up from recurring to a series regular for its third season. He’s gone on to do countless television shows and movies and has become a Hallmark (and particularly, Christmas) staple.

It was a rough time in his life, but after making it through, it’s given Donovan the fire he needs to push ahead and succeed in virtually everything.

Who knows? Now that we’ve caught up with Mike a bit and Stephanie’s back in town, maybe someday soon we’ll see Jeremy again? And maybe this time, he’ll have gotten his life sorted out.

Why Was Trevor Donovan Fired From Days of Our Lives As Jeremy Horton? Panic On Set | Soaps.com (sheknows.com)

• Love 1

Kinda a shame. He's actually really good at being the likeable hunk in frothy entertainment and they could have gotten a lot of out of him as Jeremy Donovan. (Provided they dropped the domestic abuser vibe they went for when he choked Stephanie in the hot tub.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I somehow stumbled across a post from Brandon Barash on Instagram and that band that him, Wally Kurth, Eric Martsolf, and the guy who plays Johnny are in is going to be playing at Day of Days. Anyway, I ended up getting sucked into looking at BB’s feed and and was wondering if his fiancé is much younger than him? She looks like a teenager and it’s a little icky lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I somehow stumbled across a post from Brandon Barash on Instagram and that band that him, Wally Kurth, Eric Martsolf, and the guy who plays Johnny are in is going to be playing at Day of Days. Anyway, I ended up getting sucked into looking at BB’s feed and and was wondering if his fiancé is much younger than him? She looks like a teenager and it’s a little icky lol.

She's much younger than him. I don't know how old she is but BB is 43. Kirsten Storms his ex wife is 38 so she's younger than that.

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Isabella is in her twenties I believe if I am correct she is no older than 23 so she is super young. He robbing the cradle and y'all ani't the only ones who find it odd as hell & a little creepy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Another Days alum has passed he played Pierre LeClair(Doug's best friend)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/robert-clary-dead-hogans-heroes-1235263555/

Robert Clary, Corporal LeBeau on ‘Hogan’s Heroes,’ Dies at 96

The French actor and singer spent 31 months in a concentration camp but said he had no reservations about starring in a TV comedy about the Nazis.

Robert Clary, the French actor, singer and Holocaust survivor who portrayed Corporal LeBeau on the World War II-set sitcom Hogan’s Heroes, has died. He was 96. 

Clary, who was mentored by famed entertainer Eddie Cantor and married one of his five daughters, died Wednesday morning at his home in Los Angeles, his granddaughter Kim Wright told The Hollywood Reporter.

CBS’ Hogan’s Heroes, which aired over six seasons from September 1965 to April 1971, starred Bob Crane as Colonel Robert E. Hogan, an American who led an international group of Allied prisoners of war in a convert operation to defeat the Nazis from inside the Luft Stalag 13 camp.

Replay
Learn More
Related Stories
Bardo: False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths (2022). Daniel GimÈnez Cacho as Silverio. Cr. Limbo Films, S. De R.L. de C.V. Courtesy of Netflix
MOVIE FEATURES
From Bowie to Buñuel: Alejandro G. Iñárritu Shares Inspirations Behind 'Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths'
Oyin Oladejo
MOVIE NEWS
Oyin Oladejo Nabs Lead in Refugee Revenge Drama 'Orah'
As the patriotic Cpl. Louis LeBeau, the 5-foot-1 Clary hid in small spaces, dreamed about girls, got along great with the guard dogs and used his expert culinary skills to help the befuddled Nazi Colonel Wilhelm Klink (Werner Klemperer) get out of trouble with his superiors.

Clary was the last surviving member of the show’s original principal cast.

Born Robert Max Widerman in Paris on March 1, 1926, Clary was the youngest of 14 children in a strict Orthodox Jewish family. At age 12, he began singing and performing; one day when he was 16, he and his family were rounded up and sent to Auschwitz.

“My mother said the most remarkable thing,” Clary told The Hollywood Reporter‘s Peter Flax in late 2015. “She said, ‘Behave.’ She probably knew me as a brat. She said, ‘Behave. Do what they tell you to do.'”

Clary’s parents were murdered in the gas chamber that day.

At Buchenwald, Clary sang with an accordionist every other Sunday to an audience of SS soldiers. “Singing, entertaining and being in kind of good health at my age, that’s why I survived,” he told Flax.

Clary was incarcerated for 31 months (he worked in a factory making 4,000 wooden shoe heels each day) and tattooed with the identification “A-5714” on his left forearm. He was the only one of his captured family to make it out alive.

He chose not to talk about his Holocaust experience for almost four decades. “For 36 years I kept these experiences during the war locked up inside myself,” he once said. “But those who are attempting to deny the Holocaust, my suffering and the suffering of millions of others have forced me to speak out.”

Did Clary have any reservations about doing a comedy series dealing with Nazis and concentration camps?

“I had to explain that [Hogan’s Heroes] was about prisoners of war in a stalag, not a concentration camp, and although I did not want to diminish what soldiers went through during their internments, it was like night and day from what people endured in concentration camps,” he wrote in his inspirational 2001 memoir, From the Holocaust to Hogan’s Heroes.

After being liberated, Clary returned to France in May 1945 and sang in dance halls. He came to Los Angeles in 1949 to record for Capitol Records and a year later appeared in a French comedy skit on a CBS variety show hosted by vaudevillian Ed Wynn.

Clary appeared in such films as Ten Tall Men (1951) and Thief of Damascus (1952), then met Cantor, who took him to New York to perform at the tony La Vie en Rose club. He came to the attention of producer Leonard Sillman, who cast Clary in the Broadway musical revue New Faces of 1952.

He sang “Lucky Pierre” and “I’m In Love With Miss Logan” in the show, which also featured Eartha Kitt, Paul Lynde, Ronny Graham, Alice Ghostley and Carol Lawrence and had sketches written by Mel Brooks. New Faces was filmed by Fox and played in movie theaters in 1954.

Clary then appeared again on Broadway in 1955 in the musical Seventh Heaven, which starred Gloria DeHaven, Ricardo Montalban and Bea Arthur.

The actor showed up in the Paris-set Paul Newman-Joanne Woodward film A New Kind of Love (1963), and in the Robert Wise-directed The Hindenburg (1975), he portrayed a passenger (a circus acrobat) on the doomed airship’s final voyage.

Clary also worked on the daytime soap operas Days of Our Lives, The Young and the Restless (his character, Pierre Roulland, owned a restaurant/club in Genoa City, then was murdered) and The Bold and The Beautiful.

He sang on several jazz albums that featured the work of songwriters like Irving Berlin and Johnny Mercer. (Also a part of his discography: Hogan’s Heroes Sing the Best of WWII, recorded with his castmates Richard Dawson, Larry Hovis and Ivan Dixon.)

Clary worked closely with the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, speaking at universities across the country for more than two decades.

An accomplished painter, Clary was married for 32 years to the late Natalie Cantor, the second daughter of Eddie Cantor. She died in 1997.

• Sad 7
  • Love 1
On 10/15/2022 at 6:53 PM, Artsda said:

images.jpg.b769914d2c4de4aeb127594c47af6dec.jpg

I'm digging his tux. Forest green is kind of a bold color to go for but I've always thought blonds look fantastic in green.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • Love 8

Wait, the actual plotline is that Will got a movie written that is being shot "for Peacock" in LA?

...is the show suggesting that his Xmas script from last year (the one we saw him write on that Beyond Salem Xmas special) is the one being produced? Or something new?

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wait, the actual plotline is that Will got a movie written that is being shot "for Peacock" in LA?

...is the show suggesting that his Xmas script from last year (the one we saw him write on that Beyond Salem Xmas special) is the one being produced? Or something new?

They didn't specify,  just that it was Peacock. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

That boy slept through all of his scenes. What did they give him lol?

Smart kid.  He probably got a look at the script beforehand and thought this was the easiest way to get through it.

• LOL 17

The funniest part is Lamon said no one bothered to wake them. They just shot around them sleeping. So when the cast was hanging the ornaments they just shot from different angles so we the audience wouldn't see them knocked out in the background.  Easy day at work. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

Aww, that's so sweet. I'd think they could have shot a bit of them sleeping and kept it in. After all, Eli is a single parent who just took a road trip. Of course hed be tired! It fits right into the script

Honestly that photo is the cutest thing.

On 12/21/2022 at 1:53 PM, RedElf said:

Jenna Ortega was on Days when she was eleven.

What a fantastic scene. I love Eileen's Kristen and Eileen.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Quinn Redeker, known as Rex Sterling on Y&R and Alex Marshall on Days (and involved with Marie Horton and later, Renée Dumonde [I know!]), has died at 86.

To relate it to now, his daughter, Jessica, with Marie was Nick's mother. So Nick was also Alex's grandson.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Quinn Redeker, known as Rex Sterling on Y&R and Alex Marshall on Days (and involved with Marie Horton and later, Renée Dumonde [I know!]), has died at 86.

To relate it to now, His daughter, Jessica, with Marie was Nick's mother. So Nick was also Alex's grandson.

He also had a fun friendship with Anna.  Maybe she'll have a scene to remember him.  There were a lot of scenes where he, Anna, Gwen Davies, and Eugene would get drunk together.. it seemed that way anyways.

• Like 6

This clip of Alex Marshall and Gwen Davies from 1984, apparently (Anne-Marie Martin, who would come to be known as Dori Doreau from the short-lived comedy, Sledge Hammer! - and who is the ex-Mrs. Michael Crichton), was fun!

This Alex and Gwen looked like a blast. Too bad the current Alex and Gwen - no connection to these two - suck.

• Like 3

I've never seen many clips of Alex Marshall. In that one his mannerisms kind of remind me of Jack. I wish I had been able to see Quinn when was actually on Days & Y&R. I got to where I was able to watch Y&R regularly not that long after his character had been offed.

• Like 4

And James Reynolds went way back with his tribute. Check out the accompanying photo!

Looks like Redeker, James Reynolds, Frances Reid, and Philece Sampler (the REAL Renée Dumonde). Kind of sad that James Reynolds is the only one still alive versus everyone else in the picture.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, tribeca said:

For the longest time peacock was included in cable package.  Today it said I had to buy premium to watch days. 

Which cable system are you on?  I just looked at my Comcast statement last night and it still shows Peacock Premium as "free" (a 4.99 value!).  <<Gag, Marketing>>.

I vaguely recall that non-Comcast providers often quoted "one year" as the initial free promotional offer. 

Edited by SanDiegoInExile

The scoop:

Cox customers enjoying unpaid access to Peacock Premium got some sad news this week. Peacock had been offering an extended free viewing period for Cox internet and cable customers, but that period came to an end on Tuesday, Jan. 17. Cox users must now sign up for a paid Peacock Premium account at $4.99 per month, Peacock Premium Plus for $9.99 monthly, or simply stick with Peacock’s free tier if they want access to some Peacock content.

The free version of the NBCUniversal service does allow customers to watch a myriad of archival series, but by and large, Peacock originals and recently aired shows from across the NBC networks are behind the paywall. In many cases, viewers can sample series — often the first episode — but after that, they must move to a paid-tier in order to continue watching.

The end of the extended free viewing window for Cox customers could help swell Peacock’s paid subscriber base even further. Peacock saw its paid user count double in 2022, from 9 million to 18 million customers. Considering Cox is the third-largest cable provider in the U.S., with around 6.5 million customers, so it’s reasonable to assume Peacock will snag a decent number of new, paid accounts from the move.

The discontinuation of free Peacock Premium access at Cox is also a sign of things to come for Comcast users. In June, NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell said that parent company Comcast was planning to make its internet and pay-TV customers start paying for access to Peacock Premium at some point.

“It’s also important to remember that 13 million paying subs [at that time] comes from only a portion of the country because in Comcast territory, Comcast homes who get Xfinity, get Peacock Premium for free,” he said. “At some point, we’ll roll that to pay.”

Shell reiterated those plans in December, stating that the changeover would happen in “the next year or two.” Currently, Xfinity X1 internet and Flex cable subscribers receive free access to Peacock Premium — as well as discounted access to Premium Plus — and have been since the service launched in 2020.

Users who were accustomed to getting free Peacock Premium will likely grumble about these moves, and it’s hard to blame them. But Peacock reportedly accounted for a $2.4 billion loss for NBCU in 2022, even with the huge influx of new paying customers. The service has to pull in more paying customers if it wants to keep its status as one of the lowest-priced — and fastest-growing — streaming options on the market today.

https://thestreamable.com/news/cox-internet-customers-lose-free-access-to-peacock-premium-will-comcast-users-be-next

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Useful 2