Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Well, looks like I can still keep watching - albeit now on W and at 1:00 pm vs. noon. So, if I'm working from home and don't have meetings, guess I'll toss it on as background noise, which frankly, is better than this crapfest deserves right now. 😆

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

We got it on the West Coast.  Kristen ordered Rolf to wake Stefan up, put him in a suit, then gave him the hotel room number to find Chloe.  Ava organized a funeral for Jake and went to the DiMera crypt, where she saw Stefan standing there.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

NBC just keeps pissing off viewers:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/days-of-our-lives-fans-in-a-lather-after-last-ever-episode-on-nbc-interrupted-by-king-charles-speech/ar-AA11EQ6b?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d6c60e20579741cbbe86ac4ea439ec28

My favorite 🙄 part: "Thursday's episode was also bumped for live coverage of the queen's death. NBC reran it at 3 a.m. Friday."  Because people who watch live daytime TV are also up at 3am! 🙄

On a side note, my local channel got the first half hour of Thursday's show in before NBC interrupted. Ironically running at the bottom of the screen the whole time was a note confirming DOOL's move to Peacock on the 12th and basically telling viewers that they needed to contact NBC directly about complaints. They provided the number. 😀

• Love 2

I guess I understand people being disappointed at not getting to see the last show on NBC, but since nothing really happened that wouldn't have happened on any Friday, I don't get the anger. There was no good-bye or resolving Abby's murder or anything else of consequence. I thought the speech by the new king was interesting. Of course, in my time zone, that was over long before Days was on. 

I do hope that the viewers who will continue to watch on Peacock will be happy with the stories. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I hope NBC, when the show eventually does end, gives it a primetime special send off or something.

Not sure NBC will even still have what we have known as a "primetime" lineup when DOOL ends (which I project is years away).  As it is, half their lineup is news/sports/reality and the other half DickWolfe.

We know Corday is producing 240 episodes under the previous contract.  I would bet that Peacock mirrors that for at least two years before maybe cutting down to 200 episodes, then maybe at that point we go to a telenovela type approach, with "standalone" 50-episode stories featuring the existing cast.

Comcast wants viewers going to Peacock every day, and this is their best way to get that habit started.

DOOL will see 60 years for certain and 75 in some form.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, RedElf said:

Laura Wright from GH was hyping the show's move to Peacock on Twitter today.

That's actually pretty nice. I guess with the soap community being so small now, they are all trying to support each other.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

That's actually pretty nice. I guess with the soap community being so small now, they are all trying to support each other.

Not to mention GH is probably next on the chopping block and if this is a success on Peacock then Hulu would be inclined to take on GH. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Not to mention GH is probably next on the chopping block and if this is a success on Peacock then Hulu would be inclined to take on GH. 

Hell, they might even try another revival of One Life to Live/All My Children.

I remember back in 2007 or so everyone thought the future of soaps was as a cable channel. GH was at the forefront of this with their spinoff GH: Night Shift on the Soap Network. Funny how that didn't pan out and even cable is hurting these days.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, RedElf said:

Laura Wright from GH was hyping the show's move to Peacock on Twitter today.

She's probably angling to cast as the new Abigail if GH gets canned and Abigail gets resurrected.

Too old, you say?  Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhshaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww on reality thinking like that! Velociraptors need to eat, too.

• LOL 6

Not a surprise, since viewers for this show probably don't completely "get" streaming and/or Peacock...but ouch, all the same.

ETA: This is oddly written. As I am not sure if Peacock "does" ratings, maybe this means the current show airing has less viewers?

Either way, NBC is in a world of hurt.

• Sad 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

ETA: This is oddly written. As I am not sure if Peacock "does" ratings, maybe this means the current show airing has less viewers?

They're talking about the news show that is now airing when DOOL used to air.  Yeah, it has about half the viewers but it's still probably so much cheaper that the effect is negligible when it comes to costs.

I'm sure Peacock tracks ratings but they're not releasing them yet.  If DOOL were to do a million a day streaming, I bet that'd be a huge achievement for Peacock.  

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Has anyone else lost interest since they went to streaming? I was caught up when the switch happened, but I can’t be arsed to finish the first week of shows. Orpheus? Kristen suing for custody? Faux Jennifer? Sarah getting mad for dumb reasons? Pass, pass, pass, pass.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Has anyone else lost interest since they went to streaming? I was caught up when the switch happened, but I can’t be arsed to finish the first week of shows. Orpheus? Kristen suing for custody? Faux Jennifer? Sarah getting mad for dumb reasons? Pass, pass, pass, pass.

Count me in too. I wasn't entirely caught up before it left NBC, but I have had no desire to try to catch up either. I did watch Beyond Salem 2 and it was cringeworthy cheesiness.  (I liked it.) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, carrier76 said:

I keep forgetting to check up on it I think most people will as well. I watch if I can.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I keep forgetting to check up on it I think most people will as well. I watch if I can.

I admit I miss DVR'ing it. It was easier to go through the scenes I didn't like and watch the scenes I do like.  I've watched it since being on Peacock, but it's easier to forget to watch it now.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, carrier76 said:

Yep, no interest. I've seen about 3 episodes and did a lot of skipping.  The storylines all suck and the fall preview didn't look appealing either so nothing to look forward to.  Alex is awful; Abigail's "murder mystery" was an epic fail; NuStephanie acts like a brat; and I've always hated Zander and Nicole so I'd never tune in for them.  At this point, I think I'm just going to tune in for Orpheus's scenes as he's about the only character I root for and that's mainly because I liked him in the past and he's still smarter than the current idiot Salemites. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

I admit I miss DVR'ing it. It was easier to go through the scenes I didn't like and watch the scenes I do like.  I've watched it since being on Peacock, but it's easier to forget to watch it now.  

I miss that you can FF scenes you don't like and commercials. Can't do that with Peacock. I just look at my phone or something.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

Yep, no interest. I've seen about 3 episodes and did a lot of skipping.  The storylines all suck and the fall preview didn't look appealing either so nothing to look forward to.  Alex is awful; Abigail's "murder mystery" was an epic fail; NuStephanie acts like a brat; and I've always hated Zander and Nicole so I'd never tune in for them.  At this point, I think I'm just going to tune in for Orpheus's scenes as he's about the only character I root for and that's mainly because I liked him in the past and he's still smarter than the current idiot Salemites. 

I'll put this in a spoiler just in case:

Spoiler

I thought based on Beyond Salem 2, Bo and Hope were supposed to come back.  

I'd watch just to see how they pull that off, but beyond that, I'm bored with it.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 10/3/2022 at 12:59 AM, DisneyBoy said:

This is fun. Especially Deidre's remark after the Dr. Chyka question.. 

It was fun. But a little sad too, with the set and filming comments. Budget cuts... 😥

• Love 2
On 9/27/2022 at 12:49 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Not a surprise, since viewers for this show probably don't completely "get" streaming and/or Peacock...but ouch, all the same.

Either way, NBC is in a world of hurt.

To be fair, those 1.7 million viewers cost NBC $40 million+ a year. The 950,000 remaining will cost them pennies.

Sad reality, but it's also why NBC wants to ditch the 10pm hour. Nobody watches network TV anymore, at least not live.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Honestly, I thought it would be a worse retention than that, so I'm taking that as a victory.

Then again, I was there for the attempted All My Children/OLTL Hulu reboot and it was a nightmare in terms of how few people they were able to actually get to watch.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm confused, isn't that statement saying that since Days left NBC that NBC has lost 750,000? I don't think it's talking about how many viewers/subscribers Peacock gained with the move.

Yes.  That's what it's talking about.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
24 minutes ago, RedElf said:

Man. I'm watching the news show NBC put on to replace days, and it really looks like they're using their third string anchors and reporters.  This show is really bad.

Morgan is so stiff. The other one seems nervous. Not good at all.

20 minutes ago, RedElf said:

The first reporter was terrible.

Kate Snow is very good. Otherwise this low rent news show is not good. But of course it is all about the money with NBC. Now Days is on the sophisticated Peacock. It is only worth the $1.99 a month they are charging us. All to watch and hear about a threesome. Lol

• Love 2
10 hours ago, RedElf said:

Do others have Spanish ads in their Peacock feed?  I just got an Expedia ad in Spanish.  I imagine they focus the ads to your location, but I'm not in Mexico.

Not on Peacock (yet), but quite a few on this app tonight.

• Love 1

James Lastovic, who used to play Joey, has been reported missing by his mother.  He and his roommate went hiking in Kauai and never came back to their hotel.  Their rental car is also missing.

• Sad 5
1 hour ago, RedElf said:

James Lastovic, who used to play Joey, has been reported missing by his mother.  He and his roommate went hiking in Kauai and never came back to their hotel.  Their rental car is also missing.

I just read online that they are both okay.....

Some good news ... Nevin's sister just posted, saying, "My sister and James are okay, they got lost on their hike but made it back to their car and are on their way back to the resort now. Thank you everyone for reposting and helping us reach Nevin."

• Like 5
  • Love 3