Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

^ you called it.

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Off to the ophthalmologist's. 

I still think Dierdre and Ron should have just made good ol' Robbie play Ben Weston's identical twin that nobody knew about and it probably would have worked better than the absolute damage that trying to make a serial killer palatable as a romantic lead did to the show. When he got announced as Alex Khiriakis, I kept thinking that this is what they should have done back in 2018 if they really wanted to keep this dude.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1

Re: Cox and free Peacock Premium - we have (had?) the option of getting a $2 a month credit, so it would be $2.99 a month for a year. Considering that I didn't even watch it when it was free, I am not going to pay for it. But, I appreciate those who do and provide recaps and scoops.

• Like 2

This was so much fun. They should have named it "Kate Does Everything" though LOL. Deidre barely knows her character name apparently...

Here are some highlights.

MBE:  "What about Carrie...? Isn't Carrie yours.....?"

DH:  ???????

"Never have I ever returned from the dead..."

*all exchange knowing looks and promptly start drinking*

"NEXT!"

😆😆😆😆

LK: "You know everyone can get into that lab. Everyone can change results."

"Never have I ever switched pregnancy results..."

LK: "Puh-leeeaaase. MULTIPLE times..." *chugs*

"Never have I ever had a secret child I didn't know about..."

DH: "I have. I had the alien twins. What are you laughing at? That's not a joke..."

LK:  "But see...I had the alien twins too..."

MBE:  "What!?? The same ones..!?"

LK:  "Yeah!"

DH:  "...the boy, the girl...the cute one...?"

DH:  "So they're...your children? I thought they were my children..."

MBE:  "Where are they now? They blow up or something? They went back to the spaceship?"

REX IS STILL ON THE SHOW, Mary Beth LOL. Wow.

This was as good as the pot donuts episode.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

I just read on TVline.com that Peacock will no longer be free for new subscribers. Don’t know all the details. https://tvline.com/2023/01/31/peacock-free-tier-removed-paid-plans-only/  This announcement scares me because I see it as the end of DOOL and I like the show for what it is, however one might describe it. I don’t watch that much tv so to lose a show that I like doesn’t sit well with me. Maybe I’m panicking for nothing, I hope so. 

• Useful 2
On 1/30/2023 at 7:40 PM, DisneyBoy said:

DH: "I have. I had the alien twins. What are you laughing at? That's not a joke..."

MBE:  "Where are they now? They blow up or something? They went back to the spaceship?"

I LOVED that part! I'm convinced none of them know Kyle Lowder is a recast Rex. His name never came up. I wonder who Kate thinks he is. Another long lost son?

When was Kayla buried alive? MB said she was, but I don't remember this, at all. Was it in the 80s?

I also laughed at DH not being sure if Carrie was her daughter or who Sami kidnapped.

MB: Who did Sami kidnap?

DH: I don't know. Who's younger than Sami?

MB: Carrie? Is Carrie your daughter?

Ha! I just find this hilarious for some reason.

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Like 4
12 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

At the moment, I get Peacock for free with my Xfinity package

7 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I thought Days wasn’t available on the free tier anyway?

I also get Peacock for free via Xfinity; however, I get the premium version for free. I believe @Panopticon is talking about the free for everyone version - regardless of their cable provider - that comes with more commercials and restricts the movies and televisions shows you can watch. Days and its spin-offs, i.e. Beyond Salem, aren't available on that option of Peacock.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, BuckeyeLou said:

At the moment, I get Peacock for free with my Xfinity package

Same but you have to wonder how long that will last. I guess I will watch whatever I can on Peacock for free until it goes away. I am not going to pay extra.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Same but you have to wonder how long that will last. I guess I will watch whatever I can on Peacock for free until it goes away. I am not going to pay extra.

I don't pay for cable and have decided I'm actually too cheap to pay for live TV (given that I don't really care if I watch a Tuesday show on Tuesday or Wednesday.)  Since I pay so little for streaming adding a channel or two isn't really a big deal - especially since NBC pulled ALL of their shows from HULU streaming (obviously, not live TV.)  There are a couple NBC things I enjoy watching so I got Peacock basically for them.  Even being wasteful and subscribing to services where I only watch a few things, my streaming bill is still only in the $40 range a month.   Obviously, that will change if I decide to add more services but I justify it by no longer paying an outrageous cable bill - especially since I was being killed every month on equipment rental.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
On 1/30/2023 at 8:40 PM, DisneyBoy said:

This was so much fun. They should have named it "Kate Does Everything" though LOL. Deidre barely knows her character name apparently...

Here are some highlights.

MBE:  "What about Carrie...? Isn't Carrie yours.....?"

DH:  ???????

"Never have I ever returned from the dead..."

*all exchange knowing looks and promptly start drinking*

"NEXT!"

😆😆😆😆

LK: "You know everyone can get into that lab. Everyone can change results."

"Never have I ever switched pregnancy results..."

LK: "Puh-leeeaaase. MULTIPLE times..." *chugs*

How these people don't remember their own storylines?? Lol. That really was fun. Honestly surprised though that they don't recall a lot of this stuff. I mean, i know it's decades of story history, but somehow I feel like I'd remember more than they seem to. 

• Like 5

They were horrible at Never Have I Ever, but they seem fun to drink with!  Except Dierdre, she seemed to be fake drinking, LOL. 

10 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

How these people don't remember their own storylines?? Lol. That really was fun. Honestly surprised though that they don't recall a lot of this stuff. I mean, i know it's decades of story history, but somehow I feel like I'd remember more than they seem to. 

I like that they at least admitted it at the end, realizing that the fans would remember more than them!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Actually that doesn't bother me because this is their job. I don't remember what I've done in my job over the years other than the basics. I work in a law firm and there are cases I remember, but 99% of them, I don't.  We, the fans, watch this for one hour a day and go online to "talk" with other fans so we are going to remember more.  
But the video was fun to watch.  It would be nice if the characters could show some of this lightheartedness and fun that the actors show with each other. 

• Like 7

I went way back into the archives and found a 2014 interview with Robert Scott Wilson when he was just beginning the Ben Saga.

There's something very charming about this guy which explains his career a lot.  He really just kind of stumbled into a career, for the most part.

I liked the easygoing rapport Scott had with his interviewer. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 3
On 2/20/2023 at 11:47 AM, RedElf said:

I just read that Peacock is going to quit their free service for certain cable subscribers.  If they want me to start paying, I won't be watching the show any more.

They quit that here (AZ) about a month or more ago (on Cox). I didn't watch it when  I had it, so I am sure not going to start paying for it now.

Edited by Retired at last
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, RedElf said:

I just read that Peacock is going to quit their free service for certain cable subscribers.  If they want me to start paying, I won't be watching the show any more.

We have it free till June 26. I'm binging on the old TV shows till its gone as well as Days when I can.

• Like 2

Supposedly, Comcast users will get a promo price when  they yank the service on June 26.  Past promo pricing has been $1.99/month.  That's pretty cheap compared to most streaming services.

What's more important is whether DOOL gets another renewal.  The existing contract ends September 20, 2023.  They are already filming August episodes.

Also more important is the potential labor strife later in 2023.  Writers and SAG/AFTRA performer contracts have to be re-negotiated for the industry.  Prime time programs are getting early renewals so that Fall 2023 can be filmed soon and episodes banked for the new season.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Useful 6
11 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

What's more important is whether DOOL gets another renewal.  The existing contract ends September 20, 2023.  They are already filming August episodes.

Also more important is the potential labor strife later in 2023.  Writers and SAG/AFTRA performer contracts have to be re-negotiated for the industry.  Prime time programs are getting early renewals so that Fall 2023 can be filmed soon and episodes banked for the new season.

All this makes me pretty sure the show will get renewed. 

• Like 1

I have the 4.99 subscription to Peacock which I ended up getting for 2.99.  We dropped cable years ago, so there's actually a lot I watch on Peacock that I can't get any other way.  All the Law and Order shows, plus American Auto and Saturday Night Live.  Those used to be available on Hulu but the network pulled them to Peacock this season.  Between Peacock, Paramount Plus, Hulu and Amazon, I'm set.  I sometimes sign up for other streaming services when they have enough shows I want to watch that I can binge, and then drop them after a month.  

As for DOOL, as much as I complain, I'll stick with it till the bitter end.  All My Children was the soap of my heart and it absolutely STUNK most of the last 10 years.  "Babe is Love" and that wretched Ryan Lavery, oh my aching ass.  In any case, even though it became pretty terrible, I would have paid to watch that show right up the bitter end and I think there's probably a good number of DOOL viewers who, when push comes to shove, might do the same thing, if they can.

Edited by boes
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

I liked the AMC revival for the most part- the only thing that made zero sense was Miranda getting bullied for having lesbian parents in a liberal Philadelphia suburb. It would have made way more sense if Miranda had gotten slutshamed instead.

I remember the general consensus was that soaps were going to end up on cable channels but then Soapnet got trashed by Brian Frons so nope. I also remember some experiments at trying the telenovela approach for American audiences (notably Port Charles did this in their final year) but that didn't really work, either.

• Like 2

This sounds like good news

TVMoJoe on Twitter: "Nothing official, and no comment from the streamer but good news for #DOOL fans: Hearing the show WILL be coming back for more seasons on Peacock." / Twitter

• Like 5
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Elio Kukui said:

I really don't know why everyone doubted.  

Every single year when it's time for the show to be renewed there's always a bunch of 'I hate this show therefore it must not be successful and will be cancelled,' talk and every year the show is renewed.

• Like 9
40 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Every single year when it's time for the show to be renewed there's always a bunch of 'I hate this show therefore it must not be successful and will be cancelled,' talk and every year the show is renewed.

To be fair, the show has been mediocre and uninspiring for years. Not to mention better soaps were cancelled that were better than Days in it's current state. So it is not really a stretch to have doubts that the show will continue..

• Like 8

The soaps that were cancelled clearly weren't successful for the network though. I think there's been plenty of evidence Peacock finds Days pretty successful. I just find that some seem to think just because they believe the show sucks and don't enjoy watching it that that means it's unsuccessful.

• Like 6
48 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

To be fair, the show has been mediocre and uninspiring for years. Not to mention better soaps were cancelled that were better than Days in it's current state. So it is not really a stretch to have doubts that the show will continue..

Then you factor it now its moved to streaming where not everyone is going to sign up for it. Its not that farfetched to think we're closer to the end than people want to admit.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I don't think Peachmangosteen is saying that people have to like the show.  It's just that people's feelings about a show aren't what renewal decisions are based on. GL and As the world Turns were both low rated and produced by an outside company (P&G) who wanted out of the soap business. ABC got rid of their soaps and tried to replace them with cheaper shows.  But the fact that they're keeping GH tells me that they're finding value in having at least one soap on the air.

1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Then you factor it now its moved to streaming where not everyone is going to sign up for it. Its not that farfetched to think we're closer to the end than people want to admit.

I don't know.  There have been two camps.  "This show is going to get cancelled in a year" and "this show has some more years left."  Both camps have existed for about a decade, ever since ABC got rid of 2 of their soaps. So far, "this show has some more years left" by far can be considered the more accurate assessment.

The business model will probably change a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the episode lengths are reduced or if there are fewer episodes per week. 

But people thought the move to streaming would mean the show would die and if it's getting renewed, it's once again defying those expectations.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Elio Kukui said:

I really don't know why everyone doubted.  I knew that the show would make it.

I think people doubting is understandable, for a host of reasons.  I think most of us have been burned over the last decade and more of seeing our other soaps cancelled among the same sort of uncertainty.  Not all soaps that bit the bullet were money losers, terrible, etc.  

But, speaking for myself, I've been burnt too often over these past years to believe any good news until it actually comes to pass.

• Like 7

And, to be honest, my doubts aren't about Days as of now than it is for Peacock overall, what with reports stating its growth is still not up to par and the predictions in the midst of its uncertain future...

Without Peacock, then there would be no more Days...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Without Peacock, then there would be no more Days...

Call me crazy but I'm not so sure about that.  I don't think we know why NBC moved the show to Peacock.  Because they didn't want it on NBC?  Or because they were desperate to have growth on their streaming service and hoped a daily soap would help bring it. 

Ad-supported streamers like Freevee, Tubi and others aren't talked about a lot but are growing streaming services.  Sony might have a buyer at one of them.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
10 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I actually think it's interesting that we stopped getting the annual, "Plan to Save Days," news articles and soft reboots from the late 2000s to maybe the mid-2010s. 

That alone tells me that Days must be in a better position than it used to be. I obviously lack insider knowledge, but it seems the new production schedule has really been a Godsend for Days. While we the audience may not be too thrilled at the 6-month turnaround, it not only saved Days money, but it also stopped them from going on hiatus from our screens during the peak of the Covid crisis, unlike other Soaps.

8 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

That was a concern of mine, as well. That is until I watched an interview with a Ph.D. in Women's History. She discussed the history of Soap Operas/the serial and how they've survived several mediums. They started as serials in magazines/periodicals, they moved to radio, they moved to television, and now they are moving to streaming services. She stated this is a natural evolution of the strength of the medium. Granted, I don't know what that means for Days' future, but it did make me feel like the end was not necessarily near.

• Like 3
  • Useful 7