Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

They aren't guaranteed the same visibility, which was one of the show's only perks.

That could be a silver lining!  Maybe Galen Gehring,  Jackee Harry, Stacy Haiduk, whoever it is that plays Allie, and, after today's show, RSW, will decide they need to move on.  And, best of all, VK will never return!

Edited by boes
Speeling
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
21 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I wonder which actors will have nothing to do with the show now because its "only streaming".

They aren't guaranteed the same visibility, which was one of the show's only perks.

Streaming isn't nearly as looked down now as it used to be. However in daytime I can see that being an issue since most of the audience is a lot older and likely less tech savvy.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 8/12/2022 at 2:54 PM, worleybird said:

For me Days on Peacock showed up in the evenings, but the Beyond Salems would be up by 9am each of the 5 days.

Peacock currently releases Days later in the day because the NBC affiliates are guaranteed a window of exclusivity, so that you can’t stream the show before it is broadcast. But once it become a Peacock exclusive, it will mostly likely be released in the mornings.

• Useful 1
  • TVMoJoe on Twitter: "Some folks on Twitter have asked me this, so I investigated: When #DaysOfOurLives moves exclusively to Peacock next month, the library isn't going to expand. The streamer will continue offering the most recent season's episodes and well as the previous season." / Twitter
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
36 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I'm not sure why people thought otherwise especially with the music rights involved. 

I think that's true for the older shows. 

But there's also the issue of residuals.  HBO Max has been removing shows from its streaming service as a way to save money by not having to pay residuals.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I think that's true for the older shows. 

But there's also the issue of residuals.  HBO Max has been removing shows from its streaming service as a way to save money by not having to pay residuals.

That's a good point they apparently got rid of 200 episodes of Sesame Street which bothered a lot of people.

• Sad 1

Peacock to Slash Price on Premium Tier as It Becomes the New Home for Next-Day Streaming of NBC Shows

By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 24 2022, 8:35 AM PDT

As Peacock becomes the exclusive new home for the next-day streaming of NBC shows such as the #OneChicago trifecta, SNL, SVU and The Voice, it will (temporarily) cut the price for the Premium tier that will be required to do so.

Starting September 19, Peacock will — as TVLine previously reported — become the new streaming home of NBC and Bravo fare, offering its Premium subscribers next-day access to current seasons of NBC and Bravo shows the day after they air on the networks. (Older NBC series such as 30 Rock are not affected by this decision, as they currently stream on Hulu as part of different, separate deals.)

Adding further value to a Peacock Premium account is the fact that the long-running soap opera Days of Our Lives will stream exclusively on the service beginning Monday, Sept. 12, ending its 57-year run on NBC.

“We are excited to provide Peacock customers with a comprehensive destination for streaming the incredible programming airing on NBC and Bravo all year long,” Peacock president Kelly Campbell said in a statement. “From Sunday Night Football and Jurassic World: Dominion to Saturday Night Live and The Office, Peacock is the streaming home for NBCUniversal and beyond, providing customers a massive premium content offering across TV, Film, Sports, and News, with less than five minutes of ads per hour for just $5 per month.”

Ah, but for new customers who sign-up for Peacock’s Premium plan in the month of September, that “just $5 a month” will be “just $1.99 a month,” or $19.99 for an entire year, as part of “a special Fall celebratory offer.” (Or, you can sign up now for Premium at the regular rate, and make sure you’re all set for the Fall TV season.)

Currently, Peacock offers three levels of entry: a free, basic plan that will not allow you to stream episodes next-day; the Premium plan, which forces you to sit through some ads and usually is $4.99/month, but is being cut to $1.99 for new subs signing up in September; and Peacock Premium Plus, which fetches $9.99/month and spares you the watching of any ads.

Peacock Is New Home for Next-Day NBC Streaming — Sign-Up Discount | TVLine

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Shocker: NBC May Bail on 10 pm Hour

NBC’s 10 pm programming block may soon become must-flee TV.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the network may stop programming the 10-11 pm hour, potentially giving those seven hours to local TV stations. The idea — which could take effect as early as Fall 2023 — is reportedly being considered as a way to cut costs amid declining linear ratings.

NBC’s current 10 pm series include Law & Order: Organized Crime, Chicago P.D., the soon-to-conclude New Amsterdam and the about-to-launch Quantum Leap reboot.

If the plan gets the green light, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon would likely move from 11:30 pm to 11 pm (or, perhaps, as early as 10:30 pm, per WSJ).

An NBC rep declined our request for comment, but a network spokesperson told the Wall Street Journal in a statement, “We are always looking at strategies to ensure that our broadcast business remains as strong as possible. As a company, our advantage lies in our ability to provide audiences with the content they love across broadcast, cable and streaming.â€

NBC famously — or infamously? — toyed with a similar experiment back in Sept. 2009 when it replaced its 10 pm programming on Monday-Friday with The Tonight Show With Jay Leno. The ill-fated move lasted just five months and 95 episodes.

https://tvline.com/2022/08/26/nbc-10-pm-programming-block-cancelled-chicago-pd/#comments

I wonder if NBC is bleeding money and this is why Days also moved to Peacock.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3

This seems like more evidence that DOOL may have been pulled into Peacock rather than pushed off NBC.  If NBCuniversalComcast has made the decision to migrate over-the-air entertainment content to bolster Peacock, then DOOL may have been the first step.  If they are shutting down NBC as an "entertainment destination", then DOOL is their guinea pig.

Imagine the outcry when the LawAndOrder trifecta gets moved.  Or the ChicagoTrio.

Over the air NBC may simply become News, Interviews, and Reality.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

This seems like more evidence that DOOL may have been pulled into Peacock rather than pushed off NBC.  If NBCuniversalComcast has made the decision to migrate over-the-air entertainment content to bolster Peacock, then DOOL may have been the first step.  If they are shutting down NBC as an "entertainment destination", then DOOL is their guinea pig.

Imagine the outcry when the LawAndOrder trifecta gets moved.  Or the ChicagoTrio.

Add sports 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

I really thought Fox was going to be the first of the Big 4 to go because Disney could fold Fox's programming onto ABC, Disney Plus, and Hulu, but maybe it really will be NBC.  Interesting to see how this unfolds.

I did think that DOOL was sticking around because 1.5 million viewers a day is nothing to sniff at when the top NBC primetime drama hits are pulling around 7 to 9 million viewers (the days of E.R. pulling in 16 million viewers are looooooooonnnnng behind us) so the idea that it wasn't NBC's choice actually makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

If anyone also has an account at the Soap Opera Network board, user Jason47, a true Days historian and aficionado, is now posting the Top 57 actors who had the most appearances on the show during its 57-year run on NBC. Quite a mix of classic characters/actors and newer ones! If you're curious, here is the thread. He adds a few per day or so...

Days Actor Rankings Top 57...

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

So where would the material for these longer episodes come from?  Would they burn through their backlog faster or would they simply add back in a bunch of crap they didn't think was good enough to keep in the first place?  Longer, more boring episodes.  Yay? I guess?

I’m guessing they would be the uncut version of the show 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

So where would the material for these longer episodes come from?  Would they burn through their backlog faster or would they simply add back in a bunch of crap they didn't think was good enough to keep in the first place?  Longer, more boring episodes.  Yay? I guess?

I bet we'd get a lot of slo mo scenes of RSW drooling when he sees Stephanie or anyone or anything else even vaguely female.

Who wouldn't want that??

• Sad 1
  • LOL 12
54 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

On Twitter Ron will occasionally mention scenes that were written/filmed but not included or flashbacks they didn't have time to air.

It's probably selection bias because I don't follow him on Twitter and only know about the ones that get brought up here but I do know people often wish they had seen those scenes.  They often sound more "old school soap".

I don't think DOOL needs to be longer but it could be a good thing.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I still can't believe they cut Bo's last scene with John and Marlena right before died.

They also cut Bo's scenes interacting with Claire and we never saw Bo reacting to Will's death..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Sad 3
10 hours ago, Lucas Rowan said:

I heard about the former.  Olivia even mentioned once having done some scenes with Peter and was sad that they never aired.

She enjoyed working with Peter.

There were a lot of scenes that gave context to the Aiden/Clyde alliance that were cut for time.  I know that a lot of Aiden fans were upset with Aiden becoming evil overnight just to facilitate the Bo and Hope reunion. Perhaps if we had seen those scenes it would have made more sense for them.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2

If Peacock is trying to increase viewership and subscriptions, wouldn't NBC pick a solid show with strong writing. Why pick a last place soap opera? I get that Days averages 1.5 million, but you can't expect all the fans to cross over. Wouldn't a show averaging 4 million be a better choice because perhaps you can gain half that audience? As it stands, the stories right now are not convincing me or others to make the move, even with a low price tag. In general, the story-lines are not there. I can't see many fans sticking around once the price increases in a years time. If you think Ron's writing or Days producers will start making better decisions/choices because they are now on a streaming service you are surly mistaken.

Edited by Ral80
N/A
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Ral80 said:

If Peacock is trying to increase viewership and subscriptions, wouldn't NBC pick a solid show with strong writing. Why pick a last place soap opera? I get that Days averages 1.5 million, but you can't expect all the fans to cross over. Wouldn't a show averaging 4 million be a better choice because perhaps you can gain half that audience? As it stands, the stories right now are not convincing me or others to make the move, even with a low price tag. In general, the story-lines are not there. I can't see many fans sticking around once the price increases in a years time. If you think Ron's writing or Days producers will start making better decisions/choices because they are now on a streaming service you are surly mistaken.

I maintain this is a soft cancellation its easier to let Days die on a streaming network than NBC.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, Ral80 said:

Here's a possible thought.  Soap viewers probably skew older.  Older people don't sign up for streaming services as much, but some of them are very loyal to their soaps.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Lucas Rowan said:

What's that?

It’s a Canadian cable channel part of Global TV that can be added on to the basic cable package for $. W network is also available on line under the Global TV site. The BS series are online on the W network. Globaltv.com or Global app. I hope that was clear.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think I'm officially in mourning.  

Even though I've barely watched Days all summer, and had a long hiatus in the early 2000's, I've been a fan of the show since around 1982, and knew it would always be there when I wanted to watch.  Even when life was too busy to watch regularly, I'd turn it on during vacation and holidays from work, particularly at Christmas time.  And since 2014 I've been back watching semi-regularly.  

I always knew the show was on borrowed time, and might not be renewed each year. But with the 2-year renewal I let my guard down, thinking I had at least 2 more years to watch the lives of my Salem friends. In no way did I ever think the show would leave free over the air tv and go to a paid subscription type airing.  I thought when it ended, they'd have, an ending, and we'd all wish the Salemites farewell.

But this move to Peacock in the US, and W Network in Canada, is I guess a compromise for viewers  willing to pay $$ to watch the show, but I suspect it's going to leave many fans Days-less.

I don't have cable, and am not going to get it for one show.  My other option would be to get Amazon Prime, and then subscribe to Stack TV which includes W network. But that would be about $25 (plus tax)  a month, and don't think I want to pay that right now to watch one show. 

So in 5 days, after approximately 40 years, Days will no longer be there when I want to visit John and Marlena, and all the other Salemites.

I didn't think I'd be this upset by the news, but truth is, I'm really sad. 

I do hope the show is successful in its new format, and I hope most of my fellow posters here will still be able to watch.  I'll miss you guys too, btw.   It's the end of an era. 

• Hugs 8
  • Sad 4
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, buffynut said:

I think I'm officially in mourning.  

Even though I've barely watched Days all summer, and had a long hiatus in the early 2000's, I've been a fan of the show since around 1982, and knew it would always be there when I wanted to watch.  Even when life was too busy to watch regularly, I'd turn it on during vacation and holidays from work, particularly at Christmas time.  And since 2014 I've been back watching semi-regularly.  

I always knew the show was on borrowed time, and might not be renewed each year. But with the 2-year renewal I let my guard down, thinking I had at least 2 more years to watch the lives of my Salem friends. In no way did I ever think the show would leave free over the air tv and go to a paid subscription type airing.  I thought when it ended, they'd have, an ending, and we'd all wish the Salemites farewell.

But this move to Peacock in the US, and W Network in Canada, is I guess a compromise for viewers  willing to pay $$ to watch the show, but I suspect it's going to leave many fans Days-less.

I don't have cable, and am not going to get it for one show.  My other option would be to get Amazon Prime, and then subscribe to Stack TV which includes W network. But that would be about $25 (plus tax)  a month, and don't think I want to pay that right now to watch one show. 

So in 5 days, after approximately 40 years, Days will no longer be there when I want to visit John and Marlena, and all the other Salemites.

I didn't think I'd be this upset by the news, but truth is, I'm really sad. 

I do hope the show is successful in its new format, and I hope most of my fellow posters here will still be able to watch.  I'll miss you guys too, btw.   It's the end of an era. 

Have a hug, Buff. I feel you. But keep your chin up and your eyes open - clever people might find ways to help the unsubscribed masses out. You never know.

Beyond Salem 2 aired tonight on W.

Yeah, it's hard losing a show like this. I miss the feeling of stability good soaps provided. They were always there for us. Things change.

I hope this community will stick around until the bitter end, and beyond even that a little. You guys are special to me.

• Love 7

So even though SOD just published my letter where I lamented that I would not be purchasing Peacock... I decided I will be. I don't look forward to the ads, but I can't quit the show. I've watched since 2009 and would sorely miss it if I stopped watching.

That being said--- has anyone read when the new episode will appear each weekday on Peacock? At midnight?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Have a hug, Buff. I feel you. But keep your chin up and your eyes open - clever people might find ways to help the unsubscribed masses out. You never know.

Thanks DisneyBoy.  I'll definitely keep my eyes open for a way to watch.  As much as I grumble about the show, and don't watch from time to time, I'm not ready to give it up permanently.

Yeah, it's hard losing a show like this. I miss the feeling of stability good soaps provided. They were always there for us. Things change.

That's the thing, for 40-ish years, whenever I wanted to, I'd turn on the TV and there Days would be. It's been on at different times of day, over the years. And at one point, it even aired a day earlier in Canada than in the US.  But for it to no longer be "over the air" just seems like such a shock. But things are changing, and I guess soon nothing will be free anymore.

I hope this community will stick around until the bitter end, and beyond even that a little. You guys are special to me.

I hope this community will stick around too.  

• Like 3
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, AManfred said:

I don't look forward to the ads,

The ads really aren't bad - only about 5 minutes of them per episode (I think it may even be only 4 but I don't actually pay attention) - FAR fewer than on network TV - which is over 20!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 9/4/2022 at 5:12 PM, Frozendiva said:

I have the Global App. Right now it says that shows are available free for 7 days and then after that, you need to sign in using your cable provider.

I think this is only for Global shows, not W or Showcase.