Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

I have been watching since 1974 and I think this is going to be it.

Oh, wow, that means you were able to watch Hope go from a baby to an 18-year old getting married in the span of 9 years. LOL I  had to listen to a professor go on a rant about that in my psychology class.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 6

LOL - DOOL was big on that. David Banning aged from baby to adult in the span of seven or eight years, even though his mother Julie was still in her early 30s. And David’s cousin Mike Horton had it even worse - going from baby to adult in six years.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I mean, they could have just cancelled it altogether. They'd have every right to since soaps are just not as profitable as they once were. But they are trying to see if it can make it on another platform. It is a win. Well, for people who actually enjoy the show lol.

Agreed.  They could have just cancelled it and paid any outstanding contracts or penalties.  Hopefully moving it to Peacock will give the show a better chance of sticking around.  I'd be fine with story arcs, three days a week, whatever it takes to keep it around.

I'm still not clear on whether it's going to be on the free version of Peacock for awhile and then transition to the $5 a month Peacock, or if it's going to the paid service right off the bat. 

7 hours ago, RedElf said:

Be forewarned that Dark Shadows was bad, but in a "so bad it's fun to watch" way.  I remember one scene where there was an evil cat that they kept trying to film, but they flashed to where the cat was, and it wasn't where they wanted to film, so you could see some crew member holding the cat in place while they filmed.

Ha ha that sounds right up my alley!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Oh, wow, that means you were able to watch Hope go from a baby to an 18-year old getting married in the span of 9 years. LOL I  had to listen to a professor go on a rant about that in my psychology class.

I don’t remember her as a baby but as a little girl, yes. I’d love to rewatch the 70’s through the 90’s My dream would be the would release these episodes again but maybe condense them. I’m not that young😊

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Just saw an article where Peter Reckell’s wife is urging people to go to an imposters FB page and report it . This person is claiming to be Peter & she’s trying to get it taken down. If you go to Kelly Moneymakers page she had the FB link. 

• Love 1

The silence from Days is rather deafening. Makes me wonder if this is a soft cancellation meaning the remaining episodes they taped will air on Peacock and no more. If that's the case Days could very well end in a random episode and not get a proper finale.. 

• Sad 8
16 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

The silence from Days is rather deafening. Makes me wonder if this is a soft cancellation meaning the remaining episodes they taped will air on Peacock and no more. If that's the case Days could very well end in a random episode and not get a proper finale.. 

One of the mods on Daytime Royalty posted that the news came out earlier than the show was intending. And that when that has happened in the past, Ken Corday and TPTB, just ignore the news, and finally make their "announcement" when it was originally intended.  So maybe they'll say something eventually.

Edited by buffynut
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I wonder what a final episode would look like. It was all a dream, a la Newhart and St. Elsewhere? Salem blows up, a la Little House on the Prairie? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I wonder what a final episode would look like. It was all a dream, a la Newhart and St. Elsewhere? Salem blows up, a la Little House on the Prairie? 

It's all been a really bizarre story that Rolf has been writing.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, buffynut said:

One of the mods on Daytime Royalty posted that the news came out earlier than the show was intending. And that when that has happened in the past, Ken Corday and TPTB, just ignore the news, and finally make their "announcement" when it was originally intended.  So maybe they'll say something eventually.

I personally thought the announcement came kinda late given that the switch over is barely a month away. But I guess Ken & company wanted to wait till Sept. (aka the last minute) to make their announcement.

1 hour ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I vote that everyone packs up and moves out of Salem.  Then they can say their good-byes and the viewers get proper closure.  But knowing Ron, everyone will probably get possessed by the devil and end up in hell. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, buffynut said:

Thanks for that info because I was confused by why it’s not being talked about anywhere but that Vulture article. This makes sense.

4 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I personally thought the announcement came kinda late given that the switch over is barely a month away. But I guess Ken & company wanted to wait till Sept. (aka the last minute) to make their announcement.

I know even I said September 12th earlier but I don’t know where I got that from lol. The Vulture article doesn’t have a date, does it? So where did the September 12th date come from?

17 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I know even I said September 12th earlier but I don’t know where I got that from lol. The Vulture article doesn’t have a date, does it? So where did the September 12th date come from?

The Sept 12th date was in all the articles I read with the announcement including USA Today newspaper. 

6 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

I think the show is going to end on a random episode because of their long tape to air delay. I don't see Peacock wanting more episodes after they burn through the ones that have already been taped. 

I wrote this in another thread but my ideal ending: 

Horton Living Room Doug/Julie are talking about how crazy their lives have been for the past 57 years (referencing past storylines) and that they are glad to have each other and how Tom/Alice are still watching over everyone in spirit. Julie turns off the lights in the Horton Living Room. Then the camera pans to an Hourglass on the table of the Horton Living Room with the voiceover of MacDonald Carey "As sand goes through the hourglass so do the Days of Our Lives..." with the sand run out.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

That would be nice, but I'm doubtful of Doug's ability to deliver dialogue at this point. He hasn't been on since last fall, I think, and appeared weak then...

I would like something tasteful though...so I'll probably be disappointed.

Another World's last week was pretty terrific, minus one ape. Lots of satisfying endings for characters and a few small surprises (Grant! Frankie!) And one big one from the week before (Carl!)

I've rewatched those episodes several times.

My guess is now that Bope, Stayla and Jarlena will bond/hang out...Ericole will reunite hopefully too...Shelle...and who knows about the rest. I kind of think Brady should end up alone. He needs some alone time.

They'll probably pull a (empty) switcheroo and make Bonnie Adrienne after all.

Xarah finally wed.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

That would be nice, but I'm doubtful of Doug's ability to deliver dialogue at this point. He hasn't been on since last fall, I think, and appeared weak then...

I don't know. He nailed his Devil Doug portrayal so unless he's had health issues since then, he should do fine.  I'd take Doug over his harpy wife going on and on about the memories of the years.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5

DOOL is not ending any time soon. I agree we are closer to the end than the beginning, but that could give us another 50+ years. <ha> 

Peacock is desperate for a purpose and DOOL will help that.  Will we get 250+ episodes a year?  Maybe not.  Would it go weekly?  Probably not.  Will the stories be tightened and told in a shorter arc-style?  Maybe.  

We know that Peacock requested Beyond Salem II as BS1 was ending.  Ron said that in at least one of his interviews with Michael Fairman.  Corday and Company were caught flat footed and opted to race the XMAS movie into production.  That gave them time to craft Chapter Two, lay out a storyline to complement the main show, assemble a cast, and film.  

Why would Peacock throw in the towel just after asking for more?

Daily episodes are going to be made until September 2023.  They will continue to air on conventional TV all over the world, per the contracts signed during the most recent renewal.  In the US, they will air on Peacock.

There may be some secret grand plan out there, but it hasn't been revealed.

Folks on the AOL message boards of the 90s predicted imminent DOOL demise.  Posters on the TWOP board of years ago insisted DOOL was dead, dead, dead.  For the past 20 years, the "will they or won't they" renewal question always brought out the naysayers.

We really don't know if DOOL was pushed out of NBC or pulled into Peacock. I think there is a decent chance that Peacock wanted DOOL as one of its content pillars.

Now, if Corday gets hit by a bus tomorrow, who knows what happens. 

BTW, the Hayes instagram just posted a pic of Bill reading his 3 latest scripts.  97 and going strong.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 5

I do feel like moving to Peacock, DOOL is probably nearing the end.  We know DOOL was renewed for season 58, it should last at least another year if Peacock keeps it.  Since they tape so far ahead, I just hope the show is able to have a real finale when that time comes.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

DOOL is not ending any time soon. I agree we are closer to the end than the beginning, but that could give us another 50+ years. <ha> 

Peacock is desperate for a purpose and DOOL will help that.  Will we get 250+ episodes a year?  Maybe not.  Would it go weekly?  Probably not.  Will the stories be tightened and told in a shorter arc-style?  Maybe.  

We know that Peacock requested Beyond Salem II as BS1 was ending.  Ron said that in at least one of his interviews with Michael Fairman.  Corday and Company were caught flat footed and opted to race the XMAS movie into production.  That gave them time to craft Chapter Two, lay out a storyline to complement the main show, assemble a cast, and film.  

Why would Peacock throw in the towel just after asking for more?

Daily episodes are going to be made until September 2023.  They will continue to air on conventional TV all over the world, per the contracts signed during the most recent renewal.  In the US, they will air on Peacock.

There may be some secret grand plan out there, but it hasn't been revealed.

Folks on the AOL message boards of the 90s predicted imminent DOOL demise.  Posters on the TWOP board of years ago insisted DOOL was dead, dead, dead.  For the past 20 years, the "will they or won't they" renewal question always brought out the naysayers.

We really don't know if DOOL was pushed out of NBC or pulled into Peacock. I think there is a decent chance that Peacock wanted DOOL as one of its content pillars.

Now, if Corday gets hit by a bus tomorrow, who knows what happens. 

BTW, the Hayes instagram just posted a pic of Bill reading his 3 latest scripts.  97 and going strong.

👏

• Love 2

I have Hulu (not live - just the streaming service where I can watch shows the day after they air on TV.)  Apparently NBC is going to remove ALL of their content from Hulu, forcing people who only stream to watch on Peacock.  I don't really watch live TV so while I know Peacock offers some things live, I haven't really investigated if they will show their entire line-up live. 

Warner Brothers/Discovery Plus has just merged with HBO Max.  I am old enough to remember the days when there were basically just 3 networks and PBS.  I really think it is going to become an environment where there are only a few streaming services .  You will be forced to subscribe to (and pay for) ALL of their content if you want to watch ANY of their content.  Cable companies will offer equipment and bundling services - you'll be paying for convenience.  

• Sad 2
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

There is some speculation now that Global (which airs DOOL in Canada) may retain rights, so it would still be available to us on regular cable TV.

I'm not sure if that makes me happy or prolongs my suffering... 😆

LOL.  I know the feeling. Part of my is ready for it to end, and the other part wants it to go on forever. 

16 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

13 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

• Like 3
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

Peacock is desperate for a purpose and DOOL will help that.  Will we get 250+ episodes a year?  Maybe not.  Would it go weekly?  Probably not.  Will the stories be tightened and told in a shorter arc-style? 

I don't make predictions about the end of DOOL.  I do agree that it has been predicted for a while now.  All soaps have.  It takes something away from the prediction if it has been foretold for decades.  It's sort of like the divorce of two well known celebs.  If tabloids have been saying "this is the end" since the day after they got married, they don't get to claim victory if it happens after their twentieth anniversary.

Given everything that is happening in the streaming landscape, I think it's 50/50 what goes first: Peacock or DOOL. DOOL might get cancelled from Peacock.  Peacock might shut down and take DOOL with it.  Or Peacock shuts down and DOOL morphs to a new home--wherever Sony/NBC shows migrate to.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

During today’s episode NBC had have a message going across the bottom of the screen saying how this show will now  be seen on Peacock and anyone that has streaming will be able to watch it. No mention of the cost and no regard for people that are not able to stream. I know it doesn’t seem possible but there are still people that aren’t able to stream. I was one of them until a year and a half ago . One mile down the road they had broadband & cable forever, but that’s how it goes. There are going to be people out there who have satellite dishes or cable and do not have streaming capabilities  and will not be able to watch this anymore and I feel terrible for them and I would be pretty pissed right now if I did not have streaming. And yes there are going to be some elderly people who are not going to be able to get the hang of streaming. They are set in their ways and are not going to be able to easily learn a new way of watching TV. I went through this with my mother-in-law.  But I really don’t know if I’m going to keep watching Days, there’s not much keeping my interest. And five dollars a month always sounds like nothing until you add a up five dollars here five dollars here,  five dollars there,etc. , and the fact that Peacocks programming sucks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

During today’s episode NBC had have a message going across the bottom of the screen saying how this show will now  be seen on Peacock and anyone that has streaming will be able to watch it. No mention of the cost and no regard for people that are not able to stream. I know it doesn’t seem possible but there are still people that aren’t able to stream. I was one of them until a year and a half ago . One mile down the road they had broadband & cable forever, but that’s how it goes. There are going to be people out there who have satellite dishes or cable and do not have streaming capabilities  and will not be able to watch this anymore and I feel terrible for them and I would be pretty pissed right now if I did not have streaming. And yes there are going to be some elderly people who are not going to be able to get the hang of streaming. They are set in their ways and are not going to be able to easily learn a new way of watching TV. I went through this with my mother-in-law.  But I really don’t know if I’m going to keep watching Days, there’s not much keeping my interest. And five dollars a month always sounds like nothing until you add a up five dollars here five dollars here,  five dollars there,etc. , and the fact that Peacocks programming sucks. 

For at least the near future, Peacock will probably show DOOL on the free tier.  Even with commercials, it isn't awful as they show fewer commercials than network TV.  But you are correct that it is going to really suck for people that don't stream.  If they don't want to watch on a computer (I know I never do) they either need a newer smart TV or a device like Roku, Chromecast, or Firestick.  I know younger people who are intimidated by the thought, much less older ones.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

During today’s episode NBC had have a message going across the bottom of the screen saying how this show will now  be seen on Peacock and anyone that has streaming will be able to watch it. 

Huh, I didn't have that on my recording today.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

A lot of them are in retirement homes and they aren't going to do streaming. They keep costs as low as possible.

• Sad 3
  • Love 3

Well, the $5 cost for a 10 or so residents would just be 50 cents !  

(Although I suspect DOOL will be on the free tier, maybe a day late, and loaded with ads).

My aunt is in a nursing facility.  The TV is communal.  The staff loads DVDs and connects to streaming services. And control the remotes.  It's not so much the technical ability of the 80 year old, it's the 30 year old staffers who run the place.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 2

The staffers won't care.

Soaps are a real lifeline to the elderly. I'm sad thinking about all this.

Relieved Doug is still working....buuut...they also put Joe on camera when he was clearly struggling, so I'm not sure this means much.

If they're filming January, I hope he's not stuck with more devil shit. Give him and Julie happy stuff to do, FFS!

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

(Although I suspect DOOL will be on the free tier, maybe a day late, and loaded with ads).

Currently, you have to wait until 8:00PM to watch the current day's episode.  Even when I watched it on the free tier the ads were still FAR fewer than when it showed on the network.  Most episodes now have over 20 minutes of commercials - Peacock had less than 10 (I don't remember exactly how many but probably somewhere around 8 minutes.) My thought is they'll make it available earlier in the day.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Huh, I didn't have that on my recording today.

It was right in the beginning it was scrolling across the bottom. i’m really angry that NBC or Peacock doesn’t have anything in writing online saying exactly what is happening with the show. I’d like to know if it’s going to be shown for free on peacock basic  or if they want us to pay five dollars every month for their crappy app. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chediavolo said:

It was right in the beginning it was scrolling across the bottom. i’m really angry that NBC or Peacock doesn’t have anything in writing online saying exactly what is happening with the show. I’d like to know if it’s going to be shown for free on peacock basic  or if they want us to pay five dollars every month for their crappy app. 

Someone earlier mentioned a rumor that TPTB didn't expect the news to come out when it did so they're probably just waiting until the day they planned on announcing it to give more/all the details.

Also, I checked again, and my recording does not have the scroll. Weird.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Someone earlier mentioned a rumor that TPTB didn't expect the news to come out when it did so they're probably just waiting until the day they planned on announcing it to give more/all the details.

Also, I checked again, and my recording does not have the scroll. Weird.

Maybe only certain stations did it this one was out of New York

• Love 1
4 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Are  they ever going to say whether this is on free Peacock or $4.99a month peacock? 

I found this online this morning after doing a google search...

Will days of our lives be free to watch on Peacock?

How to watch "Days of Our Lives" on Peacock. When the show's 58th season begins in September, fans will need to have a paid Peacock Premium or Peacock Premium plus account to watch new daily episodes or to access older episodes from previous seasons.18 hours ago

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2

Nothing official has been announced.  The media coverage has been almost as bad as the implementation of the change.  Most of the stories contain multiple errors, especially the "14,000 archived episodes" which anyone with $10 to buy Peacock Plus can see is not there. Articles cite cast members who haven't aired this decade. And the accompanying photos are years old. Entertainment reporting has always been bad, but this is worse than bad.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

I found this on another board. I think RSW is towing the company line of course

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly...zYTQwYWNj?ep=14

Robert Scott Wilson interview discussing his new  character Alex.

at the end of the interview when he was asked about the move to Peacock. Doesn't sound worried at all. Basically said it happened earlier than they thought, but thinks moving to streaming demonstrates belief in the show. He said they got new cameras so the show will look better.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Basically said it happened earlier than they thought, but thinks moving to streaming demonstrates belief in the show. 

I definitely agree with him there. Also, nice to hear they got new cameras. I thought Beyond Salem looked better than DOOL.

• Love 2

Can the cameras improve the stories?

😔

Look, RSW is not the person I'd be expecting unvarnished truth from. They've practically given him 2nd billing after Deidre. He's sitting pretty.

But nice to hear they upgraded equipment I guess.

*Not feeling positive, sorry*

• Like 2
  • Love 3
On 6/19/2022 at 8:27 PM, ajs1615 said:

I miss AW too. Heche as the twins is probably my favorite performance(s) on any soap, period, as well as my favorite dual role in any medium. Vicky and Marley could be dressed and styled identically, silent in the background of a scene, and you could still tell them apart. Their walk, their posture, their expressions were different. And don't even get me started on her performances as one twin pretending to be the other. She was amazing. 

I love Days but I don't think I've ever seen a performance on Heche's level. 

😥

• Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

Lifetime movies? Most of the cast have done those.

Sure.  But there are only so many of those that they can do per year.   I doubt they pay very well per movie from what I know about Hallmark movies.  They could go to other soaps too but again, there are only so many roles available.  Besides, they can still do both soaps and Lifetime/Hallmark...etc. usually.

Heck, if they could make a living off of exclusively doing Lifetime movies, they'd probably be doing that.  Ditto for Hallmark movies.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Love 4