Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I don't think Chad and Theresa ever shared even one scene together.

The did.  But I'm not sure they had more than one.  I distinctly recall, however, seeing them in a scene and thinking they had great energy together and that their characters were better suited to each other than their respective pairings.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Casey Moss wasn't under age when he started on Days.  Her issue was apparently that Casey reminded her of her brother.  

Yes, I know what Jen Lilley's issue was regarding CM--my point about being under-age and looking like a cradle-robber was more for Michael Nader's argument.  I can understand his being uncomfortable about being a grown man in his 40's being asked to do love scenes with a young actress not legally an adult.  I think if an actor has a deeply personal reason for disagreeing with a story idea then they have a right to go to management with their concerns--it's up to the producers to then decide if their issue has merit.

• Love 3

Yes, I think "talking to management" and "dictating to management" are being conflated. They are not the same thing. Management still gets to decide. In JL's case, they probably figured that the chemistry wouldn't work even if JL did try her hardest. Chemistry isn't something that can be forced or acted, and I can see where playing something romantic with someone who looks just like your sibling would throw things off on an instinctive level. No, you don't have to actually be attracted to your co-star, but most sibling relationships have a natural, inherent repulsion for anything resembling sexual attraction (and it's a different sort of repulsion than with someone you don't like).

As for KdP, while she is the ultimate Company Woman - I also remember a number of WTF? looks on her face, and CM's, during their sex scenes. They played the scenes but clearly had a lot of trouble making any sense of them, which I can't fault them for because it was a nonsensical development, and it certainly affected the chemistry and believability of the fling. There was one sex scene in particular that was so awkward and lacking in the necessary momentum of passion for two characters' judgement to be overwhelmed so majorly that it was as if the actors had been told this was just a technical rehearsal to go through the blocking. This is with two actors who are both talented and professional.

• Love 3
(edited)

When Freddie was arrested after she was badly injured in that car accident he told the judge she was his fiancee. Now years later they are finally engaged. Freddie is slimy IMO. His money schemes and his character make me wonder why she loves the guy.

Edited by rcc
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, rcc said:

When Freddie was arrested after she was badly injured in that car accident he told the judge she was his fiancee. Now years later they are finally engaged. Freddie is slimy IMO. His money schemes and his character make me wonder why she loves the guy.

Didn't she get him involved in the Ponzi scheme?

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Didn't she get him involved in the Ponzi scheme?

She did. She's just as slimy as he is, but I place more blame on him since he uses the platform DAYS gave him to take advantage of his fans. 

I'm honestly waiting for them to sell tickets to the wedding and I'd be shocked if they don't live stream the event for select people who pay. It's coming.

Edited by betweenthelines
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, betweenthelines said:

She did. She's just as slimy as he is, but I place more blame on him since he uses the platform DAYS gave him to take advantage of his fans. 

I'm honestly waiting for them to sell tickets to the wedding and I'd be shocked if they don't live stream the event for select people who pay. It's coming.

They are going to live stream it . I guess Freddie and his fiancee think that they are the next Harry and Megan..

• Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

They are going to live stream it . I guess Freddie and his fiancee think that they are the next Harry and Megan..

LMAO, I kind of figured. I guess they said that on their vlog or Q&A; which I don't watch. It is nice knowing that I called it though. I'm sure there will be "fans" there too, gotta pay for the wedding somehow right? 

It would honestly be in Freddie's best interest to distance himself from social media in general, or at the very least not be so attention starved and slimy (but of course he never will). 

10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I totally thought they were already engaged. 

As rcc stated, they told the judge that they were a newly engaged couple when Freddie went to court for his drunk driving case to gain sympathy and try to soften the judge to serve him a lesser sentence, since they were trying to "start their lives and pay for the wedding.. etc). It was all fake, but it worked since his girlfriend nearly died and I'm pretty sure he caused her to break over 10 bones in various locations in her body because of the impact, yet all he got was community service. The fact she stayed with him (mind you she was drinking too) makes it seem like she's desperate for the small ounce of "fame" from DAYS fans she gets from being with him. I mean sure she's in love with him (I guess?) but I would seriously be reconsidering my relationship if I were in her shoes. Idk, they're both equally awful imo. 

• Love 2
On 7/24/2018 at 8:54 PM, Apprentice79 said:

Or there might be fans out there who actually want to see the wedding.

• Love 3
On 7/23/2018 at 9:03 PM, Black Knight said:

Yes, I think "talking to management" and "dictating to management" are being conflated. They are not the same thing. Management still gets to decide. In JL's case, they probably figured that the chemistry wouldn't work even if JL did try her hardest. Chemistry isn't something that can be forced or acted, and I can see where playing something romantic with someone who looks just like your sibling would throw things off on an instinctive level. No, you don't have to actually be attracted to your co-star, but most sibling relationships have a natural, inherent repulsion for anything resembling sexual attraction (and it's a different sort of repulsion than with someone you don't like).

As for KdP, while she is the ultimate Company Woman - I also remember a number of WTF? looks on her face, and CM's, during their sex scenes. They played the scenes but clearly had a lot of trouble making any sense of them, which I can't fault them for because it was a nonsensical development, and it certainly affected the chemistry and believability of the fling. There was one sex scene in particular that was so awkward and lacking in the necessary momentum of passion for two characters' judgement to be overwhelmed so majorly that it was as if the actors had been told this was just a technical rehearsal to go through the blocking. This is with two actors who are both talented and professional.

Days is and has been for quite a few years now, a show filled with chemistry less couples shoved together and down viewers thoughts because it suits whoever is in power (actor, writers, producers, Corday). It is plot driven and not character driven, that’s why poorly plotted and poor,y portrayed characters are allowed to remain front and center. Perhaps if they went with the couples who actually had chemistry, some of their most embarrassingly bad storylines never would have taken place.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Days is and has been for quite a few years now, a show filled with chemistry less couples shoved together and down viewers thoughts because it suits whoever is in power (actor, writers, producers, Corday). It is plot driven and not character driven, that’s why poorly plotted and poor,y portrayed characters are allowed to remain front and center. Perhaps if they went with the couples who actually had chemistry, some of their most embarrassingly bad storylines never would have taken place.

True enough. One of my favorite behind-the-scenes anecdotes involves Victoria Wyndham and Douglass Watson from Another World. Their characters weren't supposed to be paired, but one day when they were in a scene together, VW played it flirty and the chemistry was evident. TPTB saw it and ran with it.

That truly changed the entire course of the show with ramifications down to the very last day it aired. All because one actress decided to flirt in a scene and TPTB were willing to go with the evident chemistry.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Perhaps if they went with the couples who actually had chemistry, some of their most embarrassingly bad storylines never would have taken place.

If this was the case, Rafe would've been off the show years ago. How I wish this was so cause that parasite can suck the energy out of any woman. I know that per rumor, Corday has said GG has dreamy eyes or bedroom eyes are something like that but the man is a block of wood and rarely generates a kernel of chemistry with any of his love interests. 

But yea, there's a huge issue with the show in regards to the couples they pair nowadays, especially the ones they want to showcase and hype i.e. Rope and Chabby, who don't really have the audience bowled over like some past pairings, both sanctioned by the show and otherwise. I've seen them try to squash natural chemistry or potential chemistry in order to prop a show sanctioned pairing. I am sure we've all seen that go down. It's boring and frustrating because the writing is so agenda driven that it's not about telling a good story or even pairing off characters interestingly/intriguingly. Some pairings they'll keep together or put together that have all the energy of rock on a hill. And they'll ruin or curb a potential fresh story to tell the same story.

For example, I respect Bope's history and I always liked Bo though not so much Hope. I remember when they broke up that time before Carly hit town several years ago and Hope moved in with Victor(!) that Corday gave SOD an interview that Bope would be reunited "soon." Now CC hadn't even started airing yet nevermind that Carly had nothing to do with why Bope was on a break / broke up and that fool was already telling the ending the story (and giving viewers an idea on when the reunion would occur since the film to air schedule is well known). Granted, I am sure pretty much all viewers already knew Bope reuniting would happen but he sucked all the suspense out of the story before it even started and that has always annoyed me. Corday has done stuff like that with Chabby, Safe, and a few others (all pairings I dislike or am indifferent to, come to think of it) but it just showed to me Days doesn't even try for drama or suspense or something different to do with the characters outside of sanctioned pairings. 

I have friends who are really in to the potential of Ciara / Ben aka Cin. TBH, the interest on twitter in the possible pairing has surprised me but I welcome it because it doesn't feel artificial as some of the show hyped pairings in the last couple of years have come off to me. Like the audience is genuinely interested in what could happen between the two vs the show saying "we're putting these two together and you will love it... but we don't actually care if you don't."

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

True enough. One of my favorite behind-the-scenes anecdotes involves Victoria Wyndham and Douglass Watson from Another World. Their characters weren't supposed to be paired, but one day when they were in a scene together, VW played it flirty and the chemistry was evident. TPTB saw it and ran with it.

That truly changed the entire course of the show with ramifications down to the very last day it aired. All because one actress decided to flirt in a scene and TPTB were willing to go with the evident chemistry.

The same thing happened to Kim and Shane. The show was testing Kim with Don, Neil and Tony.  She did not work with them.  A producer saw Patsy and Charlie goofing around and flirting and he brought it to the attention of his bosses and the supercouple Kim and Shane was born...

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I have friends who are really in to the potential of Ciara / Ben aka Cin. TBH, the interest on twitter in the possible pairing has surprised me but I welcome it because it doesn't feel artificial as some of the show hyped pairings in the last couple of years have come off to me. Like the audience is genuinely interested in what could happen between the two vs the show saying "we're putting these two together and you will love it... but we don't actually care if you don't."

It all depends on the writing but ultimately I suspect if they do plan for Ben and Ciara to be a long term pairing, eventually they will become that type of couple too.  They start out strong but the actors fail to play the day-to-day well or the chemistry changes OR the actors move on. I'm personally starting to enjoy RSW less now that he is playing sane, he was also loathed in the past when he was playing Abigail's "normal" boyfriend. He was so hated that people wanted him off the show until they turned him crazy. I think Rob plays crazy well and I can see Ben being loathed again if they try to turn him into this normal "good guy". It's not the actor's strong suit, plus Ron is writing him okay-ish for now but he has done that with all the returns, then the writing sucks once the newness of the character wears off for him.  I may sound bitter and hardened but it's easy to forget that this is Ron at the helm, he doesn't do happy or write well long term, so I'm sure by the end of this Ben will be regressed to the point of no return. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Stephen Nichols on being written out.  He says that he accepted a 30% pay cut even though he tried to negotiate better, but then they just unceremoniously wrote him out.

https://soaphub.com/days-of-our-lives/stephen-nichols-reveals-real-reason-hes-off-days/

I will never not be baffled by Ken Corday's decisions.  It just makes no sense to let such an iconic character go.  And to write him out like he's a nobody?  It's cruel and mean-spirited.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Stephen Nichols on being written out.  He says that he accepted a 30% pay cut even though he tried to negotiate better, but then they just unceremoniously wrote him out.

https://soaphub.com/days-of-our-lives/stephen-nichols-reveals-real-reason-hes-off-days/

This is what you call shitting on someone. They break you down to the bare minimum you will work for, then they fire you anyway. It’s a classic power move to let you know they don’t even want you for the cut-rate price.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, tribeca said:

Has Steve always been this protective of Abigail?

i don’t remember any scenes with Steve and JJ when JJ shot Theo or during JJ depression 

Protecting Abigail is required.  It's a federal law.

Not worshipping at her altar can get you 25 years - and a slap.

• Love 17

I love Steve and Kayla, and hate that Kayla is going to be left with no husband or children on screen once SN is gone, but from what I've read, SN's contract was up for renewal in March, and he tried to negotiate, and finally accepted their offer in May, but by that time the show had already written him out.  Who knows what's actually true, though.

• Love 7

And if that's true - that he tried to accept in May an offer that was made in March - that's kinda his too bad.  This show has such a shoestring budget, I'm sure that money was already repurposed by the time he came around.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

This show is a hot mess in the "keeping actors happy" department. Now who is John going to talk to? Who will be his newnewnewBFF? Abe?!

Lol!!! Has John been passed around so much that he ends up back with his original best friend Abe? 

Seriously, they couldn't of thrown James Reynolds a bone and include him in the Marlena/John 15th wedding storyline? John and Steve are good together but he really wouldn't of picked Steve over Abe for best man.

• Love 3

He and Abe were tight during the Kristen/Susan days...with Ron going back there to mine for material, you'd think they'd have remembered that (and remembered his sweet rhinestone look!) Cone to think of it, Vivian being around for this wedding would also be apropos.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, DisneyBoy said:

He and Abe were tight during the Kristen/Susan days...with Ron going back there to mine for material, you'd think they'd have remembered that (and remembered his sweet rhinestone look!) Cone to think of it, Vivian being around for this wedding would also be apropos.

Abe and John were tight when he was Roman,long before Kristen and Susan were on the show.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Abe and John were tight when he was Roman. long before Kristen and Susan were on the show.

Yup, and I remember after John found out he wasn't Roman, Marlena and Abe had a conversation about how torn she was between the two men and Abe told her that he loves them both too. That always continued.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Yup, and I remember after John found out he wasn't Roman, Marlena and Abe had a conversation about how torn she was between the two men and Abe told her that he loves them both too. That always continued.

That story was so convoluted, but it was moments like that that made it work. Liked Bo telling John that he was still his brother, too. Another scene I liked was when John (soon after discovering he wasn't Roman) ran into Shawn Sr., and Shawn Sr. confronted John about staying away from the Bradys, etc. He had given John something for the upcoming baby (Brady, naturally) if I remember right, and John was acting all odd about it, and Shawn Sr. just ended up yelling, "You're still a Brady. You're still my son!" It was nice, especially since, let's face it, Frank Parker didn't get a lot to do.

It made John's desire to convert the ruined fish market (after the robbery) into the pub for Shawn and Caroline that much sweeter. There were many missed opportunities with that story, especially how the family balanced their happiness at "Real" Roman's return and obvious affection for the "fake", etc., but the small moments with Shawn, Abe, and Bo, as I said, were great.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

That story was so convoluted, but it was moments like that that made it work. Liked Bo telling John that he was still his brother, too. Another scene I liked was when John (soon after discovering he wasn't Roman) ran into Shawn Sr., and Shawn Sr. confronted John about staying away from the Bradys, etc. He had given John something for the upcoming baby (Brady, naturally) if I remember right, and John was acting all odd about it, and Shawn Sr. just ended up yelling, "You're still a Brady. You're still my son!" It was nice, especially since, let's face it, Frank Parker didn't get a lot to do.

It made John's desire to convert the ruined fish market (after the robbery) into the pub for Shawn and Caroline that much sweeter. There were many missed opportunities with that story, especially how the family balanced their happiness at "Real" Roman's return and obvious affection for the "fake", etc., but the small moments with Shawn, Abe, and Bo, as I said, were great.

Another great moment was when Kim and Kayla went to buy a cake to celebrate Roman's return and they ran into John, it was awkward for the three of them. The next day Kim and Kayla brought him his own cake and told him that he was still their brother and nothing would ever change that.. The show back then took great pains in showing and affirming familial bonds between the characters. It is always the little moments between characters that elevates a scene and adds depth to a storyline. The writers have forgotten that.. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

In the wake of Fox News's attempted shaming of Geoffrey Owens for working at a non-acting job, Martha Madison tweeted:

It is FoxNews, that is all you need to know.  We all know what and who that network is all about..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9

Right on, girl.

She's impressed me with every return to the show.

...I can't Imagine how awkward it must be though when fans recognize her behind the bar. Do they give sympathy looks or are they mature enough to roll with it and not make it feel like a bad thing? Work is work.

• Love 4

DisneyBoy, you just reminded me of Thom Bierdz of Y&R Phillip Chancellor III fame talking about his own bartending days after his original Y&R stint - and his issue was not the fans but those of his former co-workers who would be embarrassed and/or pretend like they didn't know him. He praised Tricia Cast, who played his onscreen love interest Nina, for just going right over and hugging/kissing him instead.

• Love 6

Sarah Brown who played Carly Benson on General Hospital, she was the best Carly in my opinion, but, I digress, she also played Madison on Days of our lives, has been spilling some tea about her career being derailed by Les Moonves of CBS  and others. I really feel bad for her, she had to sell her house and she has retired from acting. She is a great actress, I always loved her.. I remember Jill show killer Pharen Phelps treated her like shit for getting pregnant and ruining her plans for the show.  Sarah had gotten pregnant after her character Carly had given birth on the show and Jill was fit to be tied.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Sarah Brown who played Carly Benson on General Hospital, she was the best Carly in my opinion, but, I digress, she also played Madison on Days of our lives, has been spilling some tea about her career being derailed by Les Moonves of CBS  and others. I really feel bad for her, she had to sell her house and she has retired from acting. She is a great actress, I always loved her.. I remember Jill show killer Pharen Phelps treated her like shit for getting pregnant and ruining her plans for the show.  Sarah had gotten pregnant after her character Carly had given birth on the show and Jill was fit to be tied.

I think Sarah Brown is frankly overrated as an actress. With that said, from all she dropped, she didn't deserve the smearing she received from Les Moonves. At least it looks like he is finally out at CBS. Maybe the misogyny level there and on its dramas will drop a few hundred points now.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I find Sarah to be a really great dynamic actress.  To see someone of her talent level go through that is really shameful.  Now I know why she hasn't been working lately.  I know she died as Madison, but I would be all for a revival of the character or at least bringing her back as someone knew.

How about bringing her back as a re-cast Jaime?  This way they could still pair her up with Allison when she guest stars and keep her in scenes with Kate as well. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

I find Sarah to be a really great dynamic actress.  To see someone of her talent level go through that is really shameful.  Now I know why she hasn't been working lately.  I know she died as Madison, but I would be all for a revival of the character or at least bringing her back as someone knew.

How about bringing her back as a re-cast Jaime?  This way they could still pair her up with Allison when she guest stars and keep her in scenes with Kate as well. 

She should have been cast as either Sarah Horton or Noelle Curtis.. An established legacy character would have given her more staying power on Days.  Soaps don't know how to introduce new characters anymore. 

I love Sarah as an actress and she seems to be unspooling on twitter.  It is very uncomfortable to see..

• Love 3