Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E18: Top 8 Girls Perform

• Start Topic

Tyanna – Color me shocked; someone picked a not so done to death Motown song! She had energy and was fun. Good start. She could go far.

Loren – She is getting better which each performance. Nice to see her not do a ballad. Good for her. I am a bit weary of the judges fawning over her though; she hasn't warranted some of that praise.

Maddie – Competently sung, but dull as dirt.

Joey – I love her. Sorry. She can keep doing weird things to Idol staples if she wants. She does need to tone down on her visible nerves as she goes on.

Sarina – The judges have gone insane. I don’t think they can handle the fact that the girls, as a whole, are owning the boys' performances from yesterday. This was wonderful. She showed some great restraint on a song she could have absolutely wailed on.

Adanna – I'm not really sure what the judges were on. It wasn't vocally perfect, but she took a dull as hell song and connected to that crowd with it. She might've squeaked into the Top 12 with that.

Jax – Weird and not good. She might be in trouble.

Alexis – I… I don't know why they saved that for last. That was a terrible way to end what was a pretty solid night. Yuck.

Very sad to lose Katherine out of the four booted ladies. I read she would've done "Who's Loving You" tonight and was hoping she got the pimp spot. Oh well.

Should Go – Alexis and Maddie
Will Go – Adanna and one of Alexis/Maddie

• Love 3

Fucking Loren, really?  Ugh.  That was off-key for the entire song.  Please let her be gone next week.

Could've done without Maddie, but better her than Lovey, I guess.  That wasn't bad, but nothing special.  Same for Adanna, who was indeed flat until the big notes at the end, and Alexis, who was good enough but that's about all.

Tyanna picked the wrong song tonight, but I like her so she can definitely stay longer.  Jax maybe shouldn't have picked that song, but I actually liked what she did with it.  Emily was quite enjoyable, and I really loved how she handled her song; I might get tired of her but for now, I'm still digging it.

Sarina-Joi was head and shoulders above the rest of the girls tonight.  Her interpretation of the song was wonderful, and I thought she sounded amazing; I didn't hear any flatness at all.  She is, in my opinion, the best chance of not having another WGWG winner this year.

So I would've nixed Loren for Katherine, and maybe Maddie or Adanna for Shannon.  I can live with this group so long as Loren goes home next and Sarina-Joi makes it to the end.

• Love 2

What the hell has happened to AI? Hey let's make season 14 a collection of contestants who would be fodder in previous seasons be the ones vying for the title. 

I like Sarina (not particularly tonight's performance) and Nick and that's about it of the remaining competing finalists. I don't even know how to describe how I feel about the rest and say it in a nice way. This show surely has taken a dive talent wise since season 8 (with the exception of season 10). Please producers get rid of the Motown theme. I truly envy the viewers that do like the other contestants. I wish I did. 

• Love 4

I liked Tyanna, Sarina-Joi, Joey, and Loren. I voted for Jax, even though I really hated that arrangement, but at least a) She doesn't bore me like some others and b) I am always interested to see what she does each week, regardless of whether I end up liking it or not. Not surprised about the 4 that were booted. Shannon and Shi for sure deserved to go home after those abominations last week. Katherine looked SO pissed when Alexis was called and at the end when it showed the 4 booted girls. Joey looked like she was going to either throw up or cry the whole time. Loved her performance but she needs serious help with those nerves. If she won, she would be doing stuff like this all the time. You need to have nerves of steel to be able to handle this. 

I'm done with Maddie. She's one of those contestants that had a really good audition that never lived up to it after. Her performance was bland. Never liked Adanna and Alexis was just bad. She did that twangy accent again and sounded like she was trying to make a Motown song sound country. A lot of the rearrangements tonight just did not work. The only reinvention I liked was Joey. 

Is it 2 from each that go next week? I'm predicting either Maddie or Alexis and Adanna. 

Also, I'm not liking this new format. At the very least I think all the contestants should be allowed to perform their song and then at the end we find out which ones were eliminated. That way at least everyone gets a chance to sing. Maybe that's how they'll do it from Top 12 or Top 10 onwards? I hope. Clearly this new format is not working for the contestants. They are all freaking out so much about being chosen that they can't sing in tune or get their emotions in check. Does not make for good performances.

• Love 2

Joey was like a female Casey Abrams impersonator tonight. Yippee.

Can't really blame America for the 4 they rejected. Shi and Shannon were objectively the worst, Katherine had nerves get the best of her and underwhelmed on a song that wouldn't really have "whelmed" all that much even if she had sang it better....and America caught on that Lovey was obviously cast as cannon-fodder and reacted accordingly.

Tyanna....thank you for doing mid to uptempo songs two weeks in a row. Solid performance.

Maddie.....zzzz. Although I can't see America cutting both country girls in the same week so I'll say she sneaks through.

Jax....I liked it. Like Quentin on the guys side, she's really the only female contestant that I would be remotely interested in tracking post-AI.

Adanna.....didn't have the surprise wow factor when David Cook did, but this was pretty good

Alexis.....Really? That's the motown song you picked? Seriously wasted an opportunity to elevate up into that SJC, Tyanna, Jax triumvirate....

I'll say Alexis and Loren go...but wouldn't be surprised or heartbroken if Maddie or Adanna went either.

(edited)

In some ways I think the fact that the "ok, SING!" aspect of it is that they are trying to get these kids to be able to focus and pull it together and be a pro. 

Jax wearing the black and blue dress was sort of good and sort of stupid- she sounded fine. Sarina is lovely and that's one of my favourite songs. Tyanna is just cute. Joey sounded good, but is one of the ones that needs to pull it together. 

I would argue that this crop isn't any more or less talented, and I don't think, overall, the talent took a nose dive post season 8. Especially since Adam Lambert, Alison Iraheta, Crystal Bowersox, Kree Harrison and Candice Glover came later on in the series. 

And goodbye Shi- you have a decent voice. But go figure out who you are. 

Edited by Pogojoco

"Look at Me! Jax" is certainly bringing out the stunt queen card early and often with wearing that damn dress. At least Joey, who I am not a fan of, seems genuine in her kookiness. 

Ryan continues his journey to casual wear. Did JLO take all the clothing budget money this season?

Alexis and her bare feet and multiple rat tails was a mess singing one of the classic worst songs to sing on Idol. Yep, its Motown week.

Aretha was charming. And brief.

• Love 5

To be honest I didn't notice the irony in Jax's dress until Ryan pointed it out. *shrug*

Why does Alexis always perform in bare feet? Seems pretentious or something.

Aretha gave better advice to the contestants in the span of a few minutes than Randy Jackson did all of last season.

• Love 5

Oh my.  If I hear Sugar Pie Honey Bunch ever again on AI I will quit, I swear!!!!  (or My Girl, or Shop Around) I don't think there is any way to make those "new" or "Current"!

Sarina killed it as usual.  Loved Tyanna as well.  

adanna was boring considering that David Cook did it so well and hers was just....ok.

LOL. did anyone see Maddie in the background as Alexis spoke after the performance- she was catatonic and expressionless with fatigue or horror.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Look I love Tianna so I have to point this out -- I love her love her -- but her eyes are so -- expressionless while she sings and smiles.  I've never seen anything like it.... It's weird, right?

I love Tianna, Sarina Joi, and Adanna.  No clue how my spelling is going.  I love that they made it through.  I'm not mad at Joey or Jax, I just don't really feel their styles.

This one went so much better than the Boys' night.  In every way.  I can't believe Shi didn't make it --- it's like I received a personal gift from the show!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Some pretty mature performances from Sarina-Joi and Adanna, I'm impressed.

These were all either middling to good performances, which is a step up from last season. I hope they come back to L.A. now, it's really not the same with that tiny little crowd in that theater.

In the top 8 boys thread, I said I wanted three people in the top two, but I think I'd like to add Tyanna and have four people in the top two, as soon as someone figures out how to make that happen. Right now, I'd be happy with Tyanna, Joey, Quentin or Qaasim as a winner. (Except that I can never remember if I'm spelling Tyanna and Qaasim right.)

• Love 1

Jeez, Ryan has gone from dressing down to not even shaving?  Is there a reason for this?  Is he going for the homeless look?

Tyanna was half good but half bad.  Uh, and it's oriole, not Oreo.  And no, Keith, her key was not perfect.

Ouch, Loren.  I liked her last week, this week, no, not at all. Terrible. What are these judges listening to?

Maddie started off okay, then began to waver.

I hated Joey last week, but she dumped the accordion and I really liked her tonight.

I think Sarina-Joi is the best.  Go, girl. She signs rings around all of the other girls, whom Harry tonguebathed, and then he says she's flat?  Shut up, Harry, go home.

Adanna was okay.

Jax wearing that dress was a desperation move.  I wouldn't vote for her now regardless of how she sings.

Wow, no Shi and no Katherine?  I'm shocked.

Alexis was horrible.

1-Sarina-Joi

2-Joey

3-Maddie

4-Adanna

5-Jax

6-Loren

7-Tyanna

8-Alexis

• Love 1

These were all either middling to good performances, which is a step up from last season. I hope they come back to L.A. now, it's really not the same with that tiny little crowd in that theater.

Ryan said at the end of the show that they are back in Hollywood next week.

I can't say much about the show because I missed most of it, but what I did see (the last few) didn't impress me much. Someone upthread mentioned finding Alexis performing barefoot pretentious. I remember thinking the same thing about Joss Stone years ago, but at least she had the talent to compensate for that.

Blue and black or white and gold, that meme has been done to death, and the dress is hideous and needs to burn.

(edited)

I don't see the big deal with Jax.  The show seems to want to push her, I remember her being singled out on camera many times when in the crowds during tryouts.  And now tonight giggling and wearing The Dress.  And the judges just gush over her. sigh....  I think her voice is fine, just not Idol worthy.

I think i'm in the minority, but Joey just screams LOOK AT ME, AREN'T I QUIRKY AND ORIGINAL?!  I don't care for her at all.  I cant get past her looks and personality to even care whether I like her voice.   What a disappointing cast!  I agree with the above poster (yourpointis) who said it seemed like this seasons finalists would all be rejects in previous years. 

Edited by stcroix
  • Love 6
This one went so much better than the Boys' night.  In every way.

No kidding.  I thought the girls really brought it tonight. All were good (except poor Alexis, who was so obviously well out of her wheelhouse). Perhaps because of this, we didn’t have the sharp division between the top three and the rest that we saw last week. This makes it really hard for me to rank them, but I guess I will go with:

1. Sarina Joi Crowe

2. Tyanna Jones

3. Loren Lott

4. Jax

5. Joey Cook

6. Adanna Duru

7. Maddie Walker

8. Alexis Gomez

While neither Sarina, Tyanna nor Jax were at their best, I still think they are the three strongest from this group. But as you can see, I personally also really liked Loren’s performance.

Next to Alexis, Maddie really is the weakest singer left among the girls (though I’d still rank her above about half the guys).  Her performance was very karaoke.  I’d like to see her go home, but I suspect it’s going to be Alexis and either Loren or Adanna.

Jax....I liked it. Like Quentin on the guys side, she's really the only female contestant that I would be remotely interested in tracking post-AI.

I agree 100%.  What Jax and Quentin try to do does not always work, but they are the only ones here who I think have the potential doing amazing original stuff after the show.  Sarina is by far the best vocalist this season, but I have trouble visualizing what kind of career she might have.  Clark and Nick are both very good, but I can’t help but see them as Kris Allen 2.0 (or perhaps like younger versions of Josh Kaufman from The Voice).

I thought on the whole, the boys were much better last night than the girls were tonight. There were only two performances I liked - Tyanna and Sarina. Joey is just too quirky for me to enjoy, and I really dislike Jax. (And I hate the pretentiousness of someone at this level only using a first name). I didn't know it was possible for Ain't No Mountain HIgh Enough to sound like a song about a stalker, but Jax managed to do just that. Ugh. The rest were too boring for me to even remember.

• Love 5

After the tsunami of the guys last night, they were more entertaining than the women. I really don't know what to say about tonight's performances except:

• Someone PLEASE tell Joey that the quirky factor can only take you so far. I didn't enjoy it when Melanie Martinez did it on The Voice and I didn't enjoy her at all. Next week, just come out with the accordion and play it on stage without singing, and do not forget the trained monkey with the tin can.
  • Jax playing cute took out all of the joy on her song. Like Joey, remixing a song can only take you so far. Regardless, I think we'll see her sing next week.
  • Maddie? When the Jermaine part of "I'll Be There" was cut from the song, there was nothing left in her lethargic performance.
  • Adanna tried to go sexy on a sappy Lionel Richie song. She could've pulled it off if she wasn't so timid.
  • Loren's makeup and her over caffeinated personality distracted me from her singing. There was a whole lotta war paint on that face.
  • Tyanna and Sarina Joy? See you next week, but S-J better step it up a bit because she started a bit off key.
  • Oh, who's left? It's not worth discussing the Uma Thurman/Elizabeth Moss mashup who was more mash (as in cold, dried up mashed potatoes) than up.

Finally, I want to say is goodbye to Shi, who was more America's Next Top Model contestant than AI contestant. I could see Tyra going off on her at elimination time.

Shi getting launched was the most important thing to me.  Good job, Ameriker!

I am loathe to agree with JLo on any matter of singing, but she is correct that Sarina is the best girl singer.  Her tonality is the most pleasing.  She is still a bit rough around the edges, but with the right producer, she could actually make something of herself in the biz.

I was impressed with Adanna's instinct this week.  She is the most interesting wannabe at this point to me.

Props to Joey and Jax for staying true to what they are.  Each did very well adapting the theme to their strength, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any shock boots next week.  Well, unless one considers actual boots worn by the quirky ones.

• Love 1
(edited)

Whatever issues we may have with the show or cast, I DO think this road trip has been really good for Idol.  I predict the Hollywood shows are gonna feel SO flat compared to these last four.

Tynanna - I hate how predictable it was for her to sing Rockin Robin.  But she did a credible job.  Zero originality, but very well crafted and executed.

Loren - She was nightmarishly bad last week.  People are suckers (and frankly, so are the judges).  They heard big diva notes and ignored the fact that they were screetchy and badly done. And the SAME thing happened again tonight. She seems like a nice girl, but... this girl sucks.  She hasn't met a note she can hit accurately, but she shakes around and works the crowd so well nobody notices or acknowledges it.

Maddie - Boiled shit on toast, minus the toast.  The judges were WAY too nice about it.

Joey – I know, I know.  We're so shallow noticing, again, the smoker's teeth.  But she JUST won't give up on the hair and lipstick that highlight the teeth.  The stylists probably just gave up with her.  That said, I actually liked her performance even more than last week, and I was at least okay with last week.

Sarina Joi –  Never had any doubt she'd get through.  Take all of Loren's garbage qualities and reverse them and you have this girl (whereas Loren's stuff comes off as screetchy diva bullshit, with Sarina the notes are properly considered and earned).  She did do ONE little throat growl thing that was a bit weird in this performance though.  But the rest was great (it didn't sound flat to me).

Adanna –  She sucked SO bad last week.  SO bad.  This was actually a ton better.  I actually liked the song choice (unlike Ms. Lopez).  If it was overdramatic, that's better than the alternative.  She did get weird and a bit screetchy near the end, but since the vocal quality WAS fairly good earlier in the song, it was almost forgivable.  Declaring she "made the Top 16" on air seemed a bit unwise though.  That alone might cause people to not vote.

Jax –  YES, she's a horrible poseur.  That said, oddly I personally think it plays well to a crowd.  It may all be affectation, but it's different than everyone else, and IS interesting to watch and hear.  Also, frankly, it took some actual music brain to rearrange that song to fit the style and range she sang in.  If she arranged that herself, she DOES have talent (again, even if it's posing, its NOT easy to do--I actually DON'T think it was a boring arrangement in the least).  If she doesn't go through, it's because J. Lo and Harry kind of stabbed her in the front (not even the back).  If nothing else "dress that broke the Internet" may help her voting as well.

Alexis –  Liked her a lot week 1.  I called it "Hippielicious Country".  This week I don't think it worked at ALL transposed onto Motown music.  It was just... weird and discordant.  Yes, if even Jen heard how out of tune it was... then it was HORRIBLY out of tune. 

So happy Katherine went. She was awful last week.  Ditto for Shannon.  Ditto again for Shi(t) [who was shit].  Lovey was the best of that booted bunch, and still no huge loss.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I'm pretty happy with who went through except for the loss of Katherine who was talented even though she blew her chance last week.

After years of the WGWG phenomenon, after tonight's results I'm wondering if we are witnessing an Empire halo voting effect... especially because Shi didn't go through who may have vaguely reminded voters of the unpopular Anika.

It's interesting that the judges called performances flat when viewers at home thought it sounded fine and performances that viewers said were out of tune, the judges failed to mention. They must have sounded so different in the theater than on TV.

Loren always screeches her high notes and her OTT "I'm sooooo excitedddd to beeee heeeerrrreeeee!" persona is massively annoying but I don't mind her as much as other viewers. She's clearly meant more for Broadway but she's honestly the only singer to me in the girls that seems to have been actually vocally trained properly (except the high notes).

I don't see what's wrong with Adanna's saying she made top 16. They ALL made top 16. Next week they are revealing the top 12.

Maddie? When the Jermaine part of "I'll Be There" was cut from the song, there was nothing left in her lethargic performance.

Thank you. I love that song, and mostly because of Jermaine's part, which soars and takes it to another level. Maddie decided not to challenge herself by sticking with singing "I'll be there" a million times instead, and the result was boredom -- though I don't think she's got much to offer to begin with.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sarina-Joi was head and shoulders above the rest of the girls tonight.  Her interpretation of the song was wonderful

Yes, and she owes a big bunch of thanks to Bonnie Sheridan for the arrangement.

And speaking of recycling, I think Ryan is shopping in Simon Cowell's closet.

Edited to add that I like that the judges are already seated at the beginning of the show.  A nice time-saver for the whittled down shows.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

LOL. did anyone see Maddie in the background as Alexis spoke after the performance- she was catatonic and expressionless with fatigue or horror.  

I totally saw that  - I couldn't decide if it was bitchface or deer in headlights but it was so funny.

Way too many freaked out contestants for me because of this new format.  They're shrieking before performing, screeching right after they sing the last note before the band is done and just straight up losing it once they go stand with the others who made it.  Someone needs to teach these kids to calm the eff down and save the freaking out for off camera.

What I liked:  Tyanna's Rockin' Robin. Great way to kick off the show.  Sarina Joi can do no wrong in my eyes.  I want her to win this whole thing. Whoever said upthread that it mush sound different in person must be right. I didn't think she was flat at all, Harry.

What I didn't like: That Maddie is still there.  Looks have to play a part in this because her singing is not that great. Last night, it started off okay but went off the rails as it went on.  Alexis was just horrible. I will be surprised if she doesn't go home.

Also:  I was bummed to see Shi go even though she totally deserved the boot.  I so loved her performance that got her into the Top 24 to begin with and then she did that horrid version of the Rihanna song and I knew she was a goner.

I have not enjoyed the last few shows with regard to format, it is lame and amateurish to me.  I find the sound horrible to listen to and wonder what the judges are hearing too because I seem to always disagree with their likes and dislikes.  It looks like they got stranded somewhere but the show must go on so wear what you got (except JLO) and let's put a show on!  LOL

I didn't follow the dress story so no idea what anyone is talking about re Jax's dress but no matter.  The song she sang is one of my all time faves and she destroyed it...take something lesser known and make that your own, not a classic like that. 

I think it is horrible to have the contestants learn and rehearse a song only to be plunked into a chair and nervously wait while sitting through others songs and their only thoughts are will I be picked?!  No wonder they are nervous wrecks by the time they hit the stage.  Such a lot of wasted efforts by not only the contestant but the band and production crew when it won't go any further.  I am not sure what a better way is but there must be one. 

Loren is Miss Red Bull isn't she!!  Even when the boys were singing and they shot to the girls there's Loren standing and waving frantically.  And what is with everyone singing the lyrics now?!  The mandate was clear to the judges (except Harry of course LOL) and to the other contestants to almost sing that song like you are performing it too!  I hate watching people sing along, leave the camera on the friggin' contestant will ya'?  Give them their full 2+minutes of fame they worked so hard for!

Something was off about JLO's face last night?  Seemed swollen in places and her eyes seemed different. 

Loved Aretha telling it like it is.

• Love 2
(edited)

"Someone PLEASE tell Joey that the quirky factor can only take you so far. I didn't enjoy it when Melanie Martinez did it on The Voice and I didn't enjoy her at all. Next week, just come out with the accordion and play it on stage without singing, and do not forget the trained monkey with the tin can."

The only place I need to see Quirky Cutesy Joey performing is children's parties. There's waaaay too much "quirk" in this lineup for my taste. Too many Duffy wanna-bees with tortured enunciation. I love Duffy, but she single-handedly ruined music for (what appears to be) all of time. Too much bare feet, green hair, you name it. Jax and her leather skin, fried hair, Duffy voice and THE DRESS, which indeed, reeked of desperation. Seems like AI's theme this time around is "BE A CHARACTER!!!" instead of, ya know, sing and perform well. It's possible to stand out without being a joke.

ETA: I think the "freaking out" before and after singing is completely producer-driven, because they think that's what it takes to keep Ameriker excited about the outcome. The group huddle freakouts seem very fake and forced, not to mention annoying as hell and as waste of time.

I watch when nothing else is on. This show is pure shit.

Edited by Hildegard802
  • Love 2

Never liked Adanna and Alexis was just bad. She did that twangy accent again and sounded like she was trying to make a Motown song sound country. A lot of the rearrangements tonight just did not work.

Thank you for mentioning it.  I initially thought I was imagining it but realized I really was hearing a twang.  She didn't have it when she spoke with the judges.  I'm surprised she wasn't called out on it.  Maybe the judges are tired of telling people to stop that kind of nonsense - who knows?

I'm in the minority here, but I actually like Ryan's more casual look. 

Have to say I'm a little tired of people who can't seem to pronounce words so I can understand them or put their own "flare" on them.  I would at least like to think at some point I might be able to understand what you're saying.  With some of these contestants I know no matter how many times I listen to what they are singing I will never understand some of the words or they will be so distorted it'll just piss me off.

• Love 2
Uma Thurman/Elizabeth Moss mashup

YES!!! Alexis to a tee!  She's so unusual looking and pretty.  That performance, combined with THAT outfit, and THAT askew hair bow and THOSE bare feet  all added up to one of the worst AI performances I have seen in all these 10+ years.  It was so horrible there can be no way she survives next week.

Jax has a great body.

Shi seem uber supportive to her fellow contestants.  The camera is always on her because she is so gorgeous.  It's almost like they make her the star of the show.  It was the same in Hollywood week. Hope her modeling takes off since she isn't a pop singer (unless maybe in some smoky little "boite" jazz nightclub in Paris??)

Joey and Loren better cut the OH GEE act quickly.  I don't want to see it anymore. They have to stop plotzing over every little thing.  You are supposed to be on tack to be made into a star, not some yokel singing contest.

Joey showed she has a real voice and a real range.  I was surprised.  BUT WHAT THE HELL IS IT WITH HER AFFECTATIOUS PRONOUNCIATION?  she just made it up and its so distracting, I dont want to hear it again. I would also like to see her styled in a fashion other than Rockabilly for a change-up.

• Love 1

Just wanted to chime in about Joey.  Mr. Jillybean and I think she's a circus act and doesn't belong on AI.  Her singing voice is horribly affected, and her look doesn't say "quirky and original," it just says "circus clown."  The only positive about last night's performance is that she didn't bring the stupid accordion on stage.  Mr. Jillybean actually pulled out his phone and gave 20 votes to all the other girls just becauise he doesn't want to see Joey perform again.

• Love 2

With the exception of Sarina Joi, Nikki McKibbin would win against this group of women. Yikes.

I've been a viewer since day 1. I honestly can't remember a group of women who so consistently sung off key. Season 13 men were bad, yes, but bad in the sense that they were boring. Not bad in the sense that they couldn't find their pitch with two hands, a flashlight, and a concert master.

Maybe it's the arena. Maybe their sound check was bad. I don't know. But I can't believe that we've come all this way to choose a crop of women who can't sing on pitch. I also don't think the format does them any favors. There's no order, no guarantee of performance, nothing. You're basically on an adrenaline rush for however long you sit there. Should they be able to handle it? Yes. But it's a lot to ask, and the nerves obviously affect performance quality right now. I don't love seeing someone perform after suffering what amounts to an anxiety attack. These people wait years at a shot like this. I'd like to see them have the opportunity to perform to their utmost potential, and this format does them - and the audience - a gross disservice.

I've never been a fan of Crystal Bowersox types, but she's Ella Fitzgerald compared to this crew. The over-the-top affectations and forced artistry need to go. There's a fine line between performing a song to its full potential in your own style and mutilating it. Several of those songs were unrecognizable - in an unpleasant way. Please just sing well and with feeling.

Oh and J Lo, it's Motown night, not a Madonna tribute evening. Put on a top that isn't remeniscent of Swiss cheese.

• Love 7
(edited)

The only ones I like after last night are Tyanna and Sarina-Joi.    Good voices, good, honest deliveries, none of the ridiculous affectations of the other girls.

The others came off as mostly just acts and gimmicks.  

Joey looks and acts like a clown, not a serious musician and singer.  

Jax is artificial and pretentious.  

Alexis delivered what had to be one of the worst performances ever for a person who's made it to the voting rounds.    

Adanna needs to put some clothes on and quit mugging behind the person whose turn it is to speak to the camera.    She was totally annoying.

Loren is lovely but overly costumed and made up.    

Maddie I can't remember except for the hair.

Edited by crocosmia
  • Love 10

Me, too!  I guess I've never really liked men in suits as much as men in casual wear.  Suits look untouchable, and let's face it, ties are pointless.  I don't know how men stand to wear them.  I can't stand having anything choking me around the neck and I don't even have a big Adam's apple as men do.  I thought Ryan looked great.

I have knee-jerk reactions to some of the contestants that are keeping me from fairly judging their talents.  Joey looks like Ethel Mertz on acid.  Maddie looks like the star of Mean Girls 2.  Loren needs to calm down by half.  Maybe even by two-thirds.  Jax seems pretentious.

Maybe they're all good singers, but I'm distracted by those impressions.  I think Tyanna and Sarina-Joi have the best voices and so far they haven't bugged me.

• Love 2

Pretty sure the judges are doing their level best to prop up subpar performers, cause, yikes, they didn't hear the same songs I did.

Joey is straddling the fence of a novelty act/circus performer, and some of the challenges coming up for her will be her undoing.

Jax managed to take a song about love and make it look and feel like a stalker anthem.

I thought Adanna had an interesting approach to a trite pop staple. Sarina did her usual great job.

The rest? Zzzzz.

By the by, I'm getting more than a little annoyed at the swooshing Roman numerals.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched the performances on YouTube and based on the comments by the judges and from viewers, I'm wondering if there were real differences in sound for those watching it live, on TV and on YouTube.  A lot of comments by the coaches and/or viewers about performers being off-key or pitchy certainly don't match what I heard from the YouTube videos.  This is particularly true in the cases of Adanna and Loren, both of whom sounded quite good to me.  The same with Harry's critique of Sarina-Joi.

Someone PLEASE tell Joey that the quirky factor can only take you so far. I didn't enjoy it when Melanie Martinez did it on The Voice and I didn't enjoy her at all. Next week, just come out with the accordion and play it on stage without singing, and do not forget the trained monkey with the tin can.

I would note that Melanie Martinez has had easily the most successful post-show career of anybody from her season of The Voice, with the exception of Cassadee Pope (who remains by far the most commercially successful Voice alumni).  Melanie has been signed by a major label, has over 25 million views on YouTube, a series of sold-out tours and rave reviews in the specialized press.  This is at least in part because she used the show to begin to define a particular quirky niche for herself within the Alternative Pop music scene and followed it up by writing some good original sounding songs with clever well produced artistic music videos.  In sum, while she may have not become a well known mainstream top-40 pop star a la Kelly Clarkson, she's managed to develop a quite successful career for herself within her chosen genre.  I imagine that Joey or even Jax would be delighted to have that degree of post-show success.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 3

Auntlada, please scootch over a little bit so I can take a seat next to you on the Tyanna-Joey-Quentin-Qaasim bus.

Sadly, my preferred method of transpo unceremoniously dumped my other two passengers, Savion and Katherine, but now there's more legroom I guess (making lemonade out of lemons). 

(Speaking of lemons and lemonade, I'll head over to my old stomping grounds, the Knoll, after this with an observation ...)

I'm  not going to review everyone but I will make one observation that I NEVER thought I'd say ("NEVER" being since the Hollywood rounds when I first saw her). 

I actually really liked Loren last night. She has rubbed me the very wrong way up until now (though not as much as JAX I HATE JAX AND HER VOTE-WHORING WITH THE DRESS ADDS TO MY JAX HATE) with her over-the-top affectations combined with her complete lack of connecting that huge voice with any heart or emotion. 

But ... but ... best song choice I can remember on AI since, maybe, Chikeze did "She's A Woman." I love "I Wanna Be Where You Are" like nobody's business and once I got over the shock of her picking it, I thought she killed (in a good way) and showed the first spark of connection to what she was singing that I've seen from her.

Okay. Heading to the knoll now ... with some thoughts on whether the contestants had some prior knowledge as to who would be booted.

(edited)

Me, too!  I guess I've never really liked men in suits as much as men in casual wear.  Suits look untouchable, and let's face it, ties are pointless.  I don't know how men stand to wear them.  I can't stand having anything choking me around the neck and I don't even have a big Adam's apple as men do.  I thought Ryan looked great.

Same here.  I can understand the criticism of him not being dressed up enough-my first thought when I saw him on Wednesday was "why isn't he dressed up?", but it didn't take long for me to warm up to it.  I think maybe slacks, a nice jacket and a button up shirt with no tie and the top button undone would've worked well, too.  But, I think he looked great--even with the light beard.

Well, I thought the girls were stronger than the guys. Joey and Jax, imo, are trying too hard, though.  Tyanna and Sarah-Joi are still my favorites.  Speaking of Joey and her teeth and hair:  I'd like to add Maddie to the list of people I can't look at.  She obviously a beautiful girl under the make up, but it's so thick and applied so carefully that she looks like a plastic Barbie Doll.  I wish she'd lighten up on it a little bit.

Edited by Shannon L.

The only ones I like after last night are Tyanna and Sarina-Joi.    Good voices, good, honest deliveries, none of the ridiculous affectations of the other girls.

The others came off as mostly just acts and gimmicks.  

Joey looks and acts like a clown, not a serious musician and singer.  

Jax is artificial and pretentious.  

Alexis delivered what had to be one of the worst performances ever for a person who's made it to the voting rounds.    

Adanna needs to put some clothes on and quit mugging behind the person whose turn it is to speak to the camera.    She was totally annoying.

Loren is lovely but overly costumed and made up.    

Maddie I can't remember except for the hair.

There's a big difference between this crowd.  Maddie is the one who's sucked balls (both shows) and they've called her on it, albeit slightly too softpeddled.  Loren is the one who sucks (both shows) and they've mysteriously called it brilliant.  Adanna is the one who sucked massively last week, didn't get called on it,  but was slightly better this week--but even MORE annoying as a person.  Alexis is the reverse--giving a decent performance the first week and a nightmarishly bad one this week.  Joey and Jax are the annoying poseurs, but at least they're trying something out of the box and despite that poseurism at least they both have decent vocals.  i agree that Tyanna and Sarina Joi are the only ones who have been consistent and non-annoying both.  I'd honestly say I hope when they get down to 4 girls it's Tyanna, Sarina Joi, Jax and Joey, just because I'd prefer talented annoying poseurs to screetchy out of tune singing.  But I fear Adanna is going to continue to get votes for people who like that clingy gushy personality despite her mediocre singing, and even more mysteriously the Empress Who Has No Clothes, Loren, is going to continue to do a disgustingly bad Diva impression, get undeserved judge praise, and somehow stay in.

• Love 2

It just hit me why I get so perturbed  when HCJ criticizes singers for poor enunciation.  

Who is the #1 booster of the Nawlins music scene and culture?  There is no #2.  Well, name me an area of the country which more proudly mishmashes languages and is more proud of its super quirky dialect?   Yet, Harry can not stop gushing about how "authentic" it all is.  Why, it's a treasure to be savored and lovingly nurtured!

Worse, he is the first one to jump a singer for this "sin."  

He is quite right about the dangers of stylization, especially in the earlier rounds.  But, dude needs to check himself when it comes to dinging anyone for wordplay.

I don't think this crop of girls could be much more annoying. What the hell was that mental freak out at the end of Joey's song?

I'm only a few years too old to compete on this show but I want to tell all of these kids to get off my lawn. Calm down, act like a human being, and sing.

I like Tyanna. She is a natural talent with no gimmick.

• Love 4

If I didn't hate Jax before, she earned my undying disdain by wearing that dress.  And why does she keep clutching her head?  

Tyanna and Sarina-Joi.  Either can win and I'll be happy.  

• Love 9

It just hit me why I get so perturbed  when HCJ criticizes singers for poor enunciation.  

Who is the #1 booster of the Nawlins music scene and culture?  There is no #2.  Well, name me an area of the country which more proudly mishmashes languages and is more proud of its super quirky dialect?   Yet, Harry can not stop gushing about how "authentic" it all is.  Why, it's a treasure to be savored and lovingly nurtured!

Worse, he is the first one to jump a singer for this "sin."  

He is quite right about the dangers of stylization, especially in the earlier rounds.  But, dude needs to check himself when it comes to dinging anyone for wordplay.

I'll be the first to admit I don't always understand people from New Orleans when they are talking, but I mostly do when they are singing. I think there's a difference in regional pronunciations and not knowing about the existence of consonants, which as near as I can tell is a common problem with young singers today.

• Love 4