Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I don't understand much about immigration law, but is the fact that he lied on his declaration not enough reason to kick him out? I mean, he's basically admitted that the information provided was false, and regardless of who wrote it down, it's his signature on that form. What's the argument there, that people are entitled to lie on the document as long as it won't really affect anything? 

Right! He should be banned from Australia for lying - he could also get 12 months jail time, which I would love to see. 

6 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I don't understand much about immigration law, but is the fact that he lied on his declaration not enough reason to kick him out? I mean, he's basically admitted that the information provided was false, and regardless of who wrote it down, it's his signature on that form. What's the argument there, that people are entitled to lie on the document as long as it won't really affect anything? 

I read that he said his agent/manager had filled out the form. Yes, he would have signed the document(s) and he should have looked them over before signing but in the US, the prosecution would have to prove that he knew of and condoned the false statements made on his behalf. So, if laws are similar in Australia, a judge might accept the argument that he knows he should have looked it over but he trusted his agent/manager and he was wronged, too. (Bla, bla, bla 😉)

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Nick Kyrgios is defending Novak and doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about.

I guess that puts a pin in my internal dilemma if I like Kyrgios or not.

I figured Kyrgios would be on the opposite side of the debate based on past actions. I think he is just mal-informed.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Nick Kyrgios is defending Novak and doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about.

I guess that puts a pin in my internal dilemma if I like Kyrgios or not.

An AW defending another AW. Shocking 🙄

• Love 3
3 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Oh no. It's my old enemy, the consequences of my actions. 

Hope they can focus on tennis now because the players who do play be the rules deserve that. 

Yes to keep it moving, media and commentators, and keep the attention on the players who did the RIGHT things and their matches, not the Spoiled Serbian Snot. 

• Love 10

Now that he's been deported from Australia (hopefully for three years), I will make it a point to watch the Australian Open.

22 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

keep the attention on the players who did the RIGHT things and their matches, not the Spoiled Serbian Snot. 

Hee! I am adding"Spoiled Serbian Snot" to add to my lexicon.

• Love 8

Okay, moving on to the tennis, or at least me watching the tennis: WTF with the limited coverage this year?   It looks as though ESPN/ESPN2 only has live coverage in the 7pm/9pm-11:30pm (EST) range and recorded coverage in the 2/3pm-6pm range.  They used to go overnight and give us full coverage.  And Tennis Channel doesn’t appear to be picking up the slack.  

I’m hoping there’s some coverage option I’m missing.  Can anyone advise?  TIA.

• Love 1

@Harry24, it looks like the place to watch is ESPN plus.  I keep it just to watch the 3 Slams ESPN carries each year.  If you don't have it I think it's about $6 a month. 

So glad to be able to focus on the tennis!  I'm so glad Djokovic didn't get away with all this shady behavior, and while I understand (I think) why the government didn't press its case on the falsified travel declaration, it is clearly his responsibility to know what he is signing, and he certainly knew what traveling he had done. 

The AO and its director look awful in this as well for trying to bend the rules for him.  I wish they had held off the draw so Rublev could have had the vacant spot, but I guess the lucky loser will be happy.

All Djokovic had to do was get vaccinated like millions of other people and for the good of everyone around him, but he didn't.  I wonder if he thought about his legacy as sportsman at all during this time.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, roseha said:

@Harry24, it looks like the place to watch is ESPN plus.  I keep it just to watch the 3 Slams ESPN carries each year.  If you don't have it I think it's about $6 a month. 

Thanks, Rose!  Is ESPN+ only a streaming service?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, roseha said:

So glad to be able to focus on the tennis!  I'm so glad Djokovic didn't get away with all this shady behavior, and while I understand (I think) why the government didn't press its case on the falsified travel declaration, it is clearly his responsibility to know what he is signing, and he certainly knew what traveling he had done.  

A hundred percent. You don't sign a form like that just because there's a box for it. Your signature is your attestation that you have provided the requested information factually and honestly to the best of your ability. His signature at the bottom of that form certified that he stands by information listed on the form as accurate, regardless of who filled it out. It says on most immigration forms that by signing it you are attesting that the information is correct and that you can be held accountable if it's not. Someone else filling it out for you shouldn't be a loophole no matter how rich you are.  I have to imagine the government realizes that but chose to deport him on the grounds that gave them the best chance of actually getting him out, regardless of how relevant that argument was compared to the numerous other arguments they could have made.

And it worked, so good on them. 

The wrong visa, combined with the incorrect travel information on his form, combined with the questionable covid test results and behavior inconsistent with a positive test result suggest, IMO, a conspiracy to commit fraud to enter the country when he knew he wasn't legally entitled to do so  given the current visa rules, and this fraud may or may not have been cosigned by people in the Serbian government. So his people saying this is unfair because he would have just "stayed home" if he hadn't been told he could come in can sit right down. He had that option and what he chose to do instead was lie in the hopes that no one would catch him. And now he's going to bemoan being caught as though it was an injustice against him.

What a sad man. 

• Love 20
3 hours ago, roseha said:

All Djokovic had to do was get vaccinated

Boom!  Just what I was coming here to say.  People on the "No thanks to the vaxx" are upset as they want TPTB to adjust their rules to allow people to participate regardless of the degree of danger as it relates to the virus.

The fact is, people have the right to control the conditions of their workplace.  Or in other cases, an area of Planet Earth.  FWIW, there are people that are on the side of anti-vaxx, but got the vaccine (and the booster) anyway.  Sometimes to have to do things you don't want to do.

The absolute worst thing is lying about your status to get around.  Sigh.

At least this means Nadal gets that shot to 21.  So it's a win-win!

• Love 16

... ... Did something happen? I've never seen this forum so busy! : D

7 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I’m hoping there’s some coverage option I’m missing.  Can anyone advise?  TIA.

ESPN3 plays a lot of matches for free. I just counted and right now they are offering 6 different matches. You can access it through the app or online at their website. You can watch live or they are all there for replay after the matches have finished. You just log in with your cable provider info and you are good to go. Looking forward to some tennis!

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Carey said:

The fact is, people have the right to control the conditions of their workplace.  Or in other cases, an area of Planet Earth.  FWIW, there are people that are on the side of anti-vaxx, but got the vaccine (and the booster) anyway.  Sometimes to have to do things you don't want to do.

And many of the top 100 men's tennis players are among those who didn't want to get vaccinated and still did so since Australia required the vaccination as a condition of entry into the country (only something like 42% or 48% were fully vaccinated at the US Open, and 97% of them are now).  Stefanos Tsitsipas was vocal about not wanting to get vaccinated (athletes are odd birds; the conspiracy theorist in me would say that those athletes are afraid vaccines would neutralize the advantages given by PEDs), but he got it anyway so that he could play in tournaments in countries with strict vaccine mandates (like Australia).  He has also been pretty vocal this week about his opposition to Djoker playing in the tournament, and he was absolutely justified; if Tsitsipas had been able to avoid getting vaccinated, he would've.  He is playing by the rules, though, because a semi-normal human being realizes he's not above the laws of an entire country, and it would've been so unfair if someone who didn't got away with it.

• Love 15

I watched Monfils - who looks in great form by the way - on ESPN plus and the British commentators only made one reference that I heard to Djokovic "not being here".  Of course I try to tune in after the matches start just to avoid talk like that!

• Love 5

Seb Korda looked great demolishing Cam Norrie.  Norrie was not at his best.  At one point he seemed to really get the yips on his forehand.  But Korda looked great, especially since it’s his first match of the year.  I really enjoy his silky game.

• Love 5
On 1/15/2022 at 9:27 PM, Harry24 said:

AW = Asswipe?  (Total guess)

14 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Attention Whore. 

Although Asswipe works just as well. 

How about AssWhole?

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

So, France is passing legislation requiring vaccination for all hospitality venues. That would include Roland Garros. Novak has plenty of notice that a recent positive test will not create an exception.

In AO news, Keys took out Kenin. I can't be sad about that. I think Kenin struggles with likability and I feel sorry for her, a young girl taking so much abuse. But yet...Kenin is really unlikable.

As opposed to Coco Gauff who is delightful, but also lost in the first round.

Osaka and Barty are through.

Nadal is through as well. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I was thinking last night how lovely it'd be if France the UK announced similar vaccination requirements in the next couple of days. Will #1 Asshole sit out three slams? or will he do what other players who didn't really want to get vaccinated did and get it anyway because rules are rules?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I know I said I would probably mostly watch online, but - let me get this straight - in addition to the already sparse AusOpen coverage on US television they are currently airing the SAME NFL GAME on both ESPN and ESPN2 on my television? And tennis starts in 30 minutes? It's not like the 3 show courts are all switching between matches right now. They must've decided Nadal and Murray and ya know, the other 19 people in the Mens and Womens top 10 are not enough of a draw for US audiences and without Roger or the Visaless Wonder or Serena Americans don't want to watch?

• Love 3
21 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I was thinking last night how lovely it'd be if France the UK announced similar vaccination requirements in the next couple of days. Will #1 Asshole sit out three slams? or will he do what other players who didn't really want to get vaccinated did and get it anyway because rules are rules?

I guess we'll find out.  Personally, I'll have no problem if he "got the same treatment" Naomi got in terms of being "forced out of the big events".  I do not think he'd be permitted to participate in the US Open as well if he held his ground.  Given what's happening to the Nets with one of their star players, I'd be surprised if he got a pass this coming summer.

None the less, there are still people winning and caring on. Thanks to Barty and Osaka, the event is still rolling with big names, though as Rafa said, the event is bigger than the stars

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That article says they're already filming.  Does this mean they're going to have the whole immigration drama?  On film?

If it follows in the format of DTS, probably not. It will be given a brief mention and then forgotten. DTS is produced to put the sport in the best possible light, not a comprehensive documentary.

ETA, That being said, DTS is a very entertaining show. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 1

I didn’t realize that Jessica Pegula’s legal given name is “Jessica Pegula, daughter of Buffalo Bills owners Kim and Terry Pegula”.  Poor kid.  That’s pretty unwieldy for a drivers license.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 17
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

I’ve been searching around trying to find a good story from a major publication on Rublev’s Covid situation.  Has anyone seen one?

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/australian-open-2022-andrey-rublev-allowed-covid-003203090.html

It's not ESPN or anything like that, but I think it hits a lot of the main points.

The lesson - having a set of exceptions is bound to piss off both sides when they're vehemently entrenched in their positions.

• Love 1

Sorry for Osaka, but she's not one of my favorites. I just don't enjoy watching her. I can just feel her anxiety and then I have anxiety.

Ash Barty is moving along. With the weirdness of the seeding, she'd have played Osaka next. 

Azarenka over Svitolina. Hmmm...I like Vika. 

With no Serena, it's hard for me to invest, so Ash Barty it is!

Zverev v Shapovalov should be interesting. 

I hadn't noticed Dmitrov is out, but I'm not surprised.

Also, Gasquet is out. Anyone remember when he was going to be the new Federer? Yeah...that didn't pan out.

Rublev v Cilic looks fun.

ETA: Early rounds of the AO are so tough for me because of the time zones. Ugh. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm surprised Monfils made it to the round of 16.  Marriage must be good for him. 😉

He's actually looked pretty good in the preseason, winning the one tournament he played. 

4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Also, Gasquet is out. Anyone remember when he was going to be the new Federer? Yeah...that didn't pan out.

Gasquet is an example of one of those players that had huge expectations placed on him that never panned out. Happens in almost all sports and in the interest of fairness, he was an impressive Junior player, which is where some of the expectations came from. 

But yes, I remember when at the tail end of the Fed/Safin/Roddick/Hewitt era, the two names on everyone's lips as the future of the men's game, was Rafa Nadal and Richard Gasquet. Well we all know how things went with the former. But yeah injuries and just never being able to seize the big moments have really hurt Gasquet throughout the years.

I hadn't noticed Dmitrov is out, but I'm not surprised.

Another disappointment. So much talent but just never quite able to pull it all together. 

ETA: Early rounds of the AO are so tough for me because of the time zones. Ugh.

Well and ESPN's shit coverage this year also hasn't helped. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/australian-open-2022-andrey-rublev-allowed-covid-003203090.html

It's not ESPN or anything like that, but I think it hits a lot of the main points.

The lesson - having a set of exceptions is bound to piss off both sides when they're vehemently entrenched in their positions.

Thanks, Cambridgeguy.  I was having trouble finding articles that weren’t written by Djokovic worshipers.

Boy, this situation is so complicated.   Having not traveled by air personally during Covid, I have no idea: whose responsibility is it to check passengers’ covid status before and after they fly?  And why aren’t the players being tested during the tournament FFS?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

But yes, I remember when at the tail end of the Fed/Safin/Roddick/Hewitt era, the two names on everyone's lips as the future of the men's game, was Rafa Nadal and Richard Gasquet. Well we all know how things went with the former. But yeah injuries and just never being able to seize the big moments have really hurt Gasquet throughout the years.

Safin is my tennis bad boy boyfriend. I didn't care about his revolving girlfriends, bar fights or dropping trou, I loved him. I still love him. I feel no shame for this.

I have Youtube TV and haven't had a chance to review what matches they are showing. YTTV dropped The Tennis Channel so I think this is my first slam without it. I may have to add it to my streaming package. Ugh.