Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Get the second break Med. Do not keep him close in that third set. When it comes to Djokovic, you need to crush him when you can. Don't allow him a window.

eta: Oh, not looking too good there. Also, I know these commentators are not trying to play the "Djokovic has been on court more hours than Medvedev" game. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

eta: Oh, not looking too good there. Also, I know these commentators are not trying to play the "Djokovic has been on court more hours than Medvedev" game. 

They are and it's absurd. Djokovic is the fittest guy on tour and he didn't have a five set match until Zverev, which was basically a four set match since Sasha choked away the last set. Novak isn't tired, he's cracking mentally.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Can I just say that I love how if you looked at Medvedev's camp, you'd think he's losing or not sure how this match is going for him. Quite the contrast to these folks and Leylah's camp.

I was thinking the same thing, they are so Russian! : D

• Love 7

Not sure why Danill rushed those points. He could have taken the time as the crowd was being obnoxious so he would not be penalized for a time violation. 

I hate when the crowd does this. Yeah you want to see more tennis but jeering and screaming when players are trying to serve is fucking obnoxious.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Not sure why Danill rushed those points. He could have taken the time as the crowd was being obnoxious so he would not be penalized for a time violation. 

I hate when the crowd does this. Yeah you want to see more tennis but jeering and screaming when players are trying to serve is fucking obnoxious.

I expect nothing less from Novaxx's fans. 🙄

• Love 2
1 minute ago, twoods said:

Why is this crowd so fucking obnoxious?

That was so fucking ridiculous. I'm glad to see that McEnroe eventually said that he didn't like it and it was not okay for the crowd to be booing and jeering at someone as they're trying to serve for a match. The umpire should have literally told Medvedev to stop and tell the crowd that until they stopped, play wasn't going to continue. 

• Love 12

*sad trombone

At least it wasn't Zverev who took Djoker out and won his first Slam.

Patrick McEnroe talking about Djoker gaining so many fans this year because of his POTENTIALLY (HAHAHAHA) historic run?  Um...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47f5vipf62oq3vuw0aul

GIVE IT UP, tool, NO ONE who actually likes tennis likes him.

• Love 12

The ONE time Dj has the whole stadium on his side and he tanks it!!!!

Daniil was so cute after the match, and gesturing to his box that he was not gonna run over there. 

Well guys, we did it!*

*I mean, Med helped. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

That was so fucking ridiculous. I'm glad to see that McEnroe eventually said that he didn't like it and it was not okay for the crowd to be booing and jeering at someone as they're trying to serve for a match. The umpire should have literally told Medvedev to stop and tell the crowd that until they stopped, play wasn't going to continue. 

He should have. The problem is some of those people were purposely trying to mess up Med's serve and probably would have quieted down just to scream right as he tossed the ball. This is why I would always prefer to see a match on one of the other courts rather than Ashe. The real tennis fans go elsewhere earlier in the tournament; all the "I'm at the Open for clout people" go to Ashe.

Thanks for telling us 17 times what a great and classy guy Novak is, McEnroe bros. Totally. What a guy. He didn't try to burn down the stadium when he lost or anything. 

• Love 11

Wow, well deserved victory for Meddy!    I wasn’t able to watch nonstop though, I was so disgusted by the crowd.   and can ESPN please fire Fowler?  He has no tennis background and I get tired of hearing him making stuff up.

I havent seen the womens final but have it recorded.  Congrats to Emma and best wishes to both her and Leylah.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

The thing is I don't even think they were all his fans. They were likely just a bunch of drunk assholes who wanted to see more tennis and the drama of a comeback.

This.  Totally this.

11 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

ETA: Oh to see the texting going on between Nadal and Federer during this match.

THIS.  TOTALLY THIS.

• Love 6

That shot of Novak full out bawling into his towel was the most human moment I've seen of him in many years.

I thought Daniil was forgetting to thank his wife, but he saved her for last. Aw. She looks like she had to take a Valium for the match or something. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, roseha said:

Wow, well deserved victory for Meddy!    I wasn’t able to watch nonstop though, I was so disgusted by the crowd.   and can ESPN please fire Fowler?  He has no tennis background and I get tired of hearing him making stuff up.

I havent seen the womens final but have it recorded.  Congrats to Emma and best wishes to both her and Leylah.

Fowler and his wife were guests on The Chew back in the day and about 1/2 way into the segment, Clinton asked CF “now, what is it you actually do?” CF just stared at him and looked so shocked. I laughed my butt off. You could tell Clinton was absolutely serious and not teasing with a real acquaintance.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I never, ever, ever thought I'd say this but I am now Medvedev's bitch.

Thank you.

I'm not. Definitely not. The only reason I was cheering for Medvedev was because I wanted him to beat Djerk. He's served his purpose so now I can go back to being meh about him. :)

I loved how bitter Fowler and the Mac Bros were at having to say 20 20 20. The sourness was so evident and I loved it!

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

Thanks for telling us 17 times what a great and classy guy Novak is, McEnroe bros. Totally. What a guy. He didn't try to burn down the stadium when he lost or anything. 

I TOTALLY don’t understand why none of the tennis commentariat is willing to criticize ND HARSHLY for endangering ball people, fans etc with his violent temper tantrums.  NO ONE (and I’m looking at you, Lindsay!) was willing to step up and say how awful his behavior was in his bronze medal match at the Olympics when he threw his racquet at close range at the net post right in front of the ump and was just lucky that no one was hit by the damn thing.  Not to mention when he threw his racquet INTO THE STANDS!  Did anyone within earshot criticize him?  Crickets.  Sure, there was discussion about how frustrated he was.  Yeah, it’s all about his feelings.  Not his actions.  </sarcasm.>

And now Patrick McEnroe calls him so “classy.”  To quote a great American, “Bitch, please."

• Love 19

Okay, I googled what the hell Daniil was talking about when he ended his speech with "L2+left". Apparently if you press L2 + Left after scoring a goal in Playstation Fifa, your icon will do the dead fish flop celebration that Medvedev did. That's pretty adorkable.  

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I hate when the crowd does this. Yeah you want to see more tennis but jeering and screaming when players are trying to serve is fucking obnoxious.

They clearly were rooting for Novak. I was surprised how much the audience influrenced that game, of course it didn't end up mattering. It just delayed the other guy winning. But he clearly missed the serve because of the audience. 

• Love 3

They showed a shot of Brad Pitt and Bradley Cooper in the stands.  I'm starting to wonder if Cooper moonlights as a sober coach.

Again, I am so glad Novaxx lost.  He was soundly beaten by Med, who played an excellent game.  I wonder why the sports commentators didn't learn anything from the olympics this year.

It was a competition, not a coronation.

• Love 13
49 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

US Open fans are not "the greatest fans in the world" as the announcer said. They were rude and disrespectful. 

Can I please get this on a bumper sticker? I wanted to throw a rock through my tv every time Fowler said that. I'm all for enthusiasm and excitement, but this was the most obnoxious crowd I've ever seen in watching more than three decades of tennis.

It's one thing to cheer loudly after a great point or pump up an underdog, but booing Medvedev as he was about to serve? That's a level of rudeness I've never seen at this event.

• Love 6

Fantastic result, so happy that Novaxx was denied.  And it's even better that he got to the final so he will always realise just how close he came.  I was so sick of the commentators who were clearly rooting for Novaxx.

16 hours ago, TVbitch said:

That shot of Novak full out bawling into his towel was the most human moment I've seen of him in many years.

Hah.  It was great.  I rewound so many times.  Then I found the photo on ESPN and it makes me smile.  https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2021%2F0913%2Fr908387_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=jpg

I love how the ESPN article mentions that fans have never really warmed to him.  So true.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I just watched the doubles final and I worry a bit for Coco. I don't expect her to be Sally Sunshine after a tough loss, but I hope her team isn't putting too much pressure on her. Seeing her cry like that makes me think there's a shit ton of expectation, and it's only going to get worse now that two other teens have had huge success. I hope she's getting the encouragement she needs to develop at her own pace. 

Got distracted by the men's final and forgot to comment on this post. I definitely see signs of "hype negatively impacting a player" in Coco. I definitely think she's starting to feel the stress and pressure of all that hype and expectations. Especially the more tournaments where she doesn't make it deep into the tournament. 

And I do wonder about what impact the success of Emma and Leylah at this year's US Open will have on her. As in she may feel even more pressure to deliver on these huge expectations. Because you know some of the media may start going, "look at how these two unseeded teenagers showed up and just bulldozed through the tournament."

I've definitely believed for a long time that too much hype can be a killer for some of these athletes. Especially as the media landscape continues to change with social media being more and more prevalent. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7

Late to party but man what a great ending.  Not only does Novak get denied the Grand Slam bit doesn't take over the overall major record.  I hope Rafa or Fed have another one in the tank because I would love for one of them to hold the record.

• Love 11

Quite a few tennis players at this year's MET Gala - Naomi of course was a co-chair and Serena's attended before. Maria Sharapova and Venus were there as well.

But the youngsters got to attend as well - Emma, Leylah and FAA were all there.  They all looked so adorable. And Ms. Emma rocking Chanel.

Link to Images

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8