Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

In a way, it might be better for her to get all this vitriol and backlash out of the way sooner rather than later. And this experience will make her even more determined to practice and improve.

I liked her attitude in the post-match press conference and her thought process about the whole thing. As for the backlash and vitriol, I'm sure she'll be okay because she got a good dose of it from some of the ever hateful British press after her fourth round meltdown at Wimbledon. 

That she was able to brush that off and turn around and do what she did at US Open, I'm sure she'll be okay from some of the naysayers and haters on social media. 

• Love 2

Is anyone else "in love" with James Blake's commentating?  He's so knowledgeable & eloquent, not to mention excellent diction!!  (My BIL was telling me Indian Wells was a "very rich" city.  James mentioned a few minutes ago that its area code is known as the most wealthy in the U.S.A.)

3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Is anyone else "in love" with James Blake's commentating?  He's so knowledgeable & eloquent, not to mention excellent diction!!  (My BIL was telling me Indian Wells was a "very rich" city.  James mentioned a few minutes ago that its area code is known as the most wealthy in the U.S.A.)

If Blake said that about Indian Wells, he's wrong; if he said it about Miami, though, that wouldn't be off the mark since the wealthiest zip code (wealth is usually ranked by zip code) is Miami Beach (specifically, the Fisher Island zip code) and one area code ranking I saw had 305, which covers Miami and the Florida Keys, at the top.  Indian Wells is in the 760 area code, which covers a gigantic portion of California and includes some very, very poor communities.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

So pissed off with TSN!!!  They ran women's & men's tennis on TWO channels UNTIL TODAY!!  Now the pikers are only broadcasting women's tennis on ONE channel.  Jerks!!!  Does anyone else have other channels to suggest (that I don't have to pay for)???

Are you signed up with TSN Direct? It's free and usually for the tennis tournaments they have rights for they have coverage of several other courts besides the one or two they're airing. I must admit I haven't looked to see what they have for Indian Wells because this year IW isn't much better than a 500 tourney. The competition is pretty poor to say the least and I'm not too interested. But give Direct a chance - I saw a couple of Canadian reporters talking about matches they had on tsn.ca so I assume those were the ones you could get on Direct.

eta: You can get to TSN Direct by clicking on "Live" in the toolbar on their main page. I believe you'll then get two options and you don't want the pay per view, you want to sign up on the other one.

Edited by shok
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, shok said:

Are you signed up with TSN Direct? It's free and usually for the tennis tournaments they have rights for they have coverage of several other courts besides the one or two they're airing. I must admit I haven't looked to see what they have for Indian Wells because this year IW isn't much better than a 500 tourney. The competition is pretty poor to say the least and I'm not too interested. But give Direct a chance - I saw a couple of Canadian reporters talking about matches they had on tsn.ca so I assume those were the ones you could get on Direct.

eta: You can get to TSN Direct by clicking on "Live" in the toolbar on their main page. I believe you'll then get two options and you don't want the pay per view, you want to sign up on the other one.

Thanks so much!!  I'll give it a whirl.

13 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Indian Wells is in the 760 area code, which covers a gigantic portion of California and includes some very, very poor communities.

I'm sure Blake was referring to nearby Palm Springs, which is a very wealthy community. 

Was hoping Korda would give Tiafoe more of a challenge. Med is looking like the one to beat. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

I'm sure Blake was referring to nearby Palm Springs, which is a very wealthy community.

And he'd still be wrong.  Palm Springs really isn't that wealthy, although that certainly is the perception people have.  The median annual household income in Palm Springs is around $53,500; by contrast, Fisher Island's is around $2.5 million.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

And he'd still be wrong.  Palm Springs really isn't that wealthy, although that certainly is the perception people have.  The median annual household income in Palm Springs is around $53,500; by contrast, Fisher Island's is around $2.5 million.

Do you mind my asking how you happen to have all this knowledge at your fingertips, nuguy514?  It’s very impressive.

2 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Do you mind my asking how you happen to have all this knowledge at your fingertips, nuguy514?  It’s very impressive.

Haha, I wish I could claim vast prior knowledge of this stuff, but I just googled it.  I'm really not that impressive.😆  

I will say, though, that the initial comment struck me because I do know the 760 area code covers a HUGE portion of California and it seemed an odd statement to make; that's why I looked into it.  Also, I do live in Los Angeles and have been to the Palm Springs area a few times and know it's not as fancy as people might think.  There are certainly areas with expensive homes, but most of the homes are fairly normal.  It's a lovely area, though, no matter what.

• Love 1

It's also a weird comment because while a lot of rich people own property in Palm Springs, they don't usually live there full time. It's like...weekend homes or vacation homes. So the wealth of those people is contributing to the stats of somewhere else usually.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yay for Taylor! 

I was FF Stephanos and Fognini, but saw the chat Fognini has with the chair about Stephanos being coached by his dad. The handshake was prickly to say the least. Wish I could hear what they were saying to each other! What do you mean by "playing with" @Medicine Crow?

Surprised Medvedev had that kind of sloppy performance against Grigor. Granted I didn't see how he let the match get away from him as I turned it off to do some work, assuming it was over when he was up a set and 4-1. 

But once I checked back in and saw the match still going on, I figured Grigor'd won the second but didn't expect the score to be what it was in the third. From the bit I saw of the last games, it looked like Med's serve was falling apart and the same thing I noticed during the Australian Open Finals was happening.

When his serve is failing him, all other parts of his game start to become really erratic and he starts wildly hitting shots with seemingly no strategy or plan in mind. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Was anyone else as disappointed as I was when Taylor lost?  I was positive he'd make the finals!!!

My friend was.  She (a 66-year-old attorney) has a big crush on him.  I was hoping he’d win too.

Surely the Indian Wells higher ups are a wee bit disappointed in both finals personnel, even though the matches may be great.

30 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

My friend was.  She (a 66-year-old attorney) has a big crush on him.  I was hoping he’d win too.

Surely the Indian Wells higher ups are a wee bit disappointed in both finals personnel, even though the matches may be great.

I think there's a looooong line of people crushing on Taylor ... including 77 yr. old me.  LOL.

I'm hoping my long-time favourite, Vika Azarenka wins, but Badosa would be a first for Spain, so I'm torn!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
Azarenka.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I was really rooting for Taylor. Would have been a big win for him, and he does seem awfully "gee shucks" charming in his interviews. 

Bummer for my man Med. Loved the story Courier told about Med's play  imploding and him calling out to the referee to please just default him cuz it would be better for everyone involved. : D That is classic Med!

Not super familiar with either player in the finals, but I will root for Bashilli (sp?!) cuz he's the underdog and he's really fighting for it.

• Love 2

Ugh, pretty soon I will be reduced to rooting for the ball! 

Happy for Badosa, she brought it in that tie-break. Um, and I may be coveting her boyfriend a bit. Dude was in tears for her and not bad lookin'. 

I think I have FINALLY figured out who Norrie reminds me of. : D

image.png.bb4ef78707a94326bf4d83933bab5ecb.png

• LOL 7
14 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Ugh, pretty soon I will be reduced to rooting for the ball!

Heh. Me too. I've been a tennis fan for so many years and have had my favourites along the way - until Rafa and then I became one of those obnoxious super fans - but this latest crew. Lordy, they're a dull bunch to watch.

For lack of anything exciting to watch lately, I've gone back and watched some videos of Rafa and Roger and Delpo and that generation of players and wow, did they ever play some fabulous matches. The athleticism and the rivalries and the intensity and the brilliant smart shots just reinforces how badly the game has deteriorated over the last decade. You don't realize how much until you go back and watch and then compare it with the present.

I always said that I'd always watch and enjoy tennis because, played well, it's a terrific game, but that I'd never let myself become as emotionally involved with a player as I did with Rafa but I'm finding that I have no interest in watching any tennis at all lately. Looking at the empty stands at Indian Wells last week, I don't think I'm alone in feeling that way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I want to like Tiafoe.  I really do.  But I'm getting tired of his "aren't I loveable?" antics on the court and jumping into the stands to hug fans while he's still playing tennis.  Even Djoker wouldn't do that shit.  So I'm sorry Sinner lost to him today because I like Sinner's calm demeanor. 

• Love 5

Peng will be released from detention only once the Chinese government is convinced she is sufficiently chastened and can be trusted to strictly toe the party line going forward. They're also making a point to anyone else who might be thinking about making similar accusations.

They had no problem disappearing one of the country's biggest movie stars, Fan Bingbing, for three months back in 2018. The reasons why were different, but the common denominator was scaring these women into doing what they wanted. Celebrity, fame, public attention doesn't protect them, and other famous/rich people see this and take note that they themselves are not protected either. What happened to Fan Bingbing frightened everyone else in the Chinese film industry, and Peng is being made an example in the same way.

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Peng will be released from detention only once the Chinese government is convinced she is sufficiently chastened and can be trusted to strictly toe the party line going forward. They're also making a point to anyone else who might be thinking about making similar accusations.

Why do I get the feeling she'll be announcing her retirement and a desire to move on to the next phase of her life?  I'm not sure the Chinese will want to risk her requesting asylum the moment she goes to an international tournament.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Why do I get the feeling she'll be announcing her retirement and a desire to move on to the next phase of her life?  I'm not sure the Chinese will want to risk her requesting asylum the moment she goes to an international tournament.

As I noted in my original post, I doubt she will be allowed to leave China. 

• Love 1

Fan Bingbing does get to leave China for work, and she's so wealthy she could easily live elsewhere without the hassle of asking for asylum, etc. But of course she has family in China who can be held hostage for Fan's good behavior. It may well be the same for Peng.

I don't think China will back down for the WTA, but there has been consideration already of a boycott of the upcoming Olympics in Beijing and Peng's disappearance is going to give momentum to the proposed boycott. I don't think they thought this out well. At this point, even if they put Peng on camera nobody will believe she isn't being coerced. They could just do the right thing: say Peng told the truth, free her with an excuse that they were only keeping her safe while they investigated her claims, and send her rapist to prison. That would work. But somehow I don't think they will.

• Love 3

The New York TImes Editorial Board has joined in:  Where Is Peng Shuai?  I can only hope all the attention will help her.

"The professional tennis world has reacted with admirable and unequivocal ferocity. Steve Simon, the executive director of the W.T.A., demanded an investigation into Ms. Peng’s allegations. He declared that he is ready to pull the tour out of China. The governing body of men’s tennis, the Association of Tennis Professionals, joined in, with a statement declaring that it was “deeply concerned,” and a chorus of tennis players, including Serena Williams and Novak Djokovic, issued expressions of shock and concern. The United Nations called for an investigation with “full transparency,” and the White House press secretary, Jen Psaki, said the Biden administration calls for “verifiable proof” of Ms. Peng’s whereabouts."

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

IOC says President Thomas Bach had video call with missing tennis player Peng Shuai

I agree with the WTA.

The IOC did not explain why Peng chose to speak with the organization Sunday despite having not spoken to other sports or international entities, including the Women’s Tennis Association, whose chairman and CEO Steve Simon has been demanding proof that she is safe and not facing punishment from Chinese officials for her allegation.

In a statement later Sunday, a WTA spokesperson said: “It was good to see Peng Shuai in recent videos, but they don’t alleviate or address the WTA’s concern about her well-being and ability to communicate without censorship or coercion. This video does not change our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern.”

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

A bit late, but was anyone else surprised when Zverev beat Medvedev???

I wasn't. Med has definitely had a strong end of the year, winning his first Grand Slam. But so has Zverev. And the latter has shown how tough he is in Best of 3 tournaments. It's the Grand Slams, best of 5 he still hasn't conquered yet.

Based on how well he played against Novak in the semifinals, I had a strong feel Zverev would win the whole thing. I actually will make the prediction that he'll finally win a Slam next year. It just feels like it's become an "any moment now" type of situation. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Omicron looks to be on the warpath, at least to sports - both the NFL and NBA are having to reschedule games and even cancellations because too many players are testing positive for COVID. 

And now in the past two weeks both Emma Radacanu and now Rafa (he announced it this morning) have tested positive after going to Abu Dabi for an exhibition. And both are vaccinated. Curious if more cases occur if the Australian Open will be delayed to adjust protocols. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 1
59 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Just saw Rafa's announcement. He said they were tested every other day, but he tested positive when entering Spain. 

I hear this latest strain is a touch contagious.  Sigh.  

From the article I saw it sounded as though he’s experiencing some symptoms.  Get better, Rafa!

• Love 3

Poor Rafa. His prep for the Australian Open gets him every year! He's just not meant to win that slam again.  :(

And this is such a bad time for him to get hit with covid. He's so close to his family and he'll have to stay at home in isolation over Christmas. He's missed so many Christmas celebrations because of tennis and now this year, it's the damn virus that got him.

• Love 2
On 12/21/2021 at 4:51 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Ons Jabeur and Belinda Bencic, who were both in Abu Dhabi to play the exhibition match have also tested positive for COVID. 

So has Carlos Moya's wife and she wasn't even there! I saw on twitter that Carlos had it but they didn't say if they meant Carlos Costa or Carlos Moya and both of them were with Rafa in Abu Dhabi.That's a lot of people from a relatively small group to get it. Imagine what a big tournament like the AO will be like.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

And I’ll bet there will be nary a peep of criticism from the on-air tennis folk at ESPN and Tennis Channel.  Gah!

Well, of course not!  He has a 'medical exemption' granted by a panel of medical experts!  The medical reason being that the sponsors of the Australian Open would've been sick over his absence from the tournament.

Australia had been so firm in enforcing their COVID guidelines, I'm sad to see them cave to this COVIDiot.

• Love 8