Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Regarding Alcaraz, he's 19. He's achieved great success VERY quickly. I can't blame him for pumping up the home crowd a bit. I assume he'll be more subdued at the French. If he shows up opponents with his behavior, I'll re-evaluate my stance. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Regarding Alcaraz, he's 19. He's achieved great success VERY quickly. I can't blame him for pumping up the home crowd a bit. I assume he'll be more subdued at the French. If he shows up opponents with his behavior, I'll re-evaluate my stance. 

Why does he need to pump up the home crowd? They're already 100% behind him. And he was doing it to other crowds too like in Miami - they're certainly not home crowds. Earn the appreciation of the crowd with good shots and don't beg for adulation. That's grandstanding and it bugs me when anybody does it, not just Carlos.

And I think he's showing up opponents already. Shaking your fist in somebody's face, or in the direction of somebody's face, is not going to make him friends. A vamos fist pump to your box, an upward fist motion usually with some knee action, is a celebration and is quite different from shaking your fist while staring at the other guy.

As you say, he's young. Maybe he'll learn. But meanwhile, he's losing fans who could have been excited about his new young talent - at least that's what I'm seeing on several tennis sites that I check out.

The "King Carlos" proclamations were a bit much, but his matches against Rafa and Dj were good stuff. Him making mincemeat out of Zverev was also kind of entertaining, but not for tennis reasons. : D

• Love 6
(edited)

Speaking of Alcaraz, not surprising that looks like he's decided to pull out of Rome. With back to back wins at Barcelona and Madrid, I can see the strategy in thinking it's best to rest up and place all the focus on the French Open. 

I'm a bit torn on the on-court theatrics. I've made no secret that it can veer very quickly into obnoxious for me and at that point I'm just turned off. See someone like Tiafoe. That said, while Carlos has certainly had his playing to the crowd moments, I can't say he's reached the full-on obnoxious level for me, YET.

That may change down the road but for now, I like the kid well enough. I'm not rushing to jump on his bandwagon, as I'm a ride or die for my fave. But I can't deny his talent and I applaud what he's accomplished so far. As for the media hype - well it's what the media does.

Because hype sells. Hype and good storylines sell. So you bet your ass they're going to play up this narrative of "a changing of the guard" and "is Rafa's era of dominance about to end and a new King will rise" (as you can probably tell, I work in Communications. Headlines are my life). Like strap in folks, it's coming. 

As I said, do I think he can do it this year - sure, why not? Rafa did it. But again, as Jim Courier and a few other tennis commentators so aptly noted, Rafa didn't have to face Rafa Nadal when he won the FO at 19. There was no player who had held this insanely, almost inhuman dominant hold on the surface. And then there's Djokovic.

We may not like the tool, but the man knows how to show up for a Grand Slam. And you know he's itching to get that win and tie Rafa's Grand Slam count. So there are big stakes for many players in this upcoming French Open, which is why I think it's a little early for some to think Carlos' win may be a foregone conclusion. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

as Jim Courier and a few other tennis commentators so aptly noted, Rafa didn't have to face Rafa Nadal when he won the FO at 19.

As Jim Courier should know, Rafa had to face #1 ranked Roger Federer in his prime in the semi-finals of that FO. Fed had already won four slams by then and was widely touted to be a shoe-in for his fifth at that FO. Rafa may have become the King on clay but he had to earn his success - he didn't have an easy pass.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, shok said:

As Jim Courier should know, Rafa had to face #1 ranked Roger Federer in his prime in the semi-finals of that FO. Fed had already won four slams by then and was widely touted to be a shoe-in for his fifth at that FO. Rafa may have become the King on clay but he had to earn his success - he didn't have an easy pass.

How did you get the notion that Jim Courier was suggesting that Rafa had an easy pass or didn't earn his success, from that comment? Really?

He didn't say it to suggest that Rafa's winning his first French Open was easy. He was actually complimenting Rafa by further acknowledging just how incredible what he's achieved at the French Open. Especially since Jim Courier, having won two French Open titles in his career know just how hard it is to win just one, much less 13.

The point being that those touting Carlos as a heavy favorite for this year's French Open and comparing to Rafa's winning his first French Open at 19, are ignoring that he'd likely have to beat a man who has dominated the surface in a way no one has ever had before. That is all. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/9/2022 at 6:17 AM, shok said:

As Jim Courier should know, Rafa had to face #1 ranked Roger Federer in his prime in the semi-finals of that FO. 

On a slightly different tack, I’ve always thought it helped each of the Big Three that their first grand slam finals were against very fine players (Philippoussis, Puerta, and Tsonga), but ones who were not major champions and who would never win a major.  It’s a much bigger challenge to win your first against an established all-time great.

I think having to get through one of the Big Three in the final made it really tough for Murray to get his first.  If he’d been able to play a Philippoussis, Puerta or Tsonga in his first final I think he would have gotten that first win a lot sooner and the psychology of the situation would have tilted more in his favor in ensuing years.  I give huge props to Del Potro for winning his first against Federer and to Wawrinka for winning his first (with luck on the injury front) against Rafa.   Now, I don’t think that either DelPo or Stan had the same psychological pressure of expectation on them that Murray had, but impressive all the same.

Back to Alcaraz, I think there’s a chance he’ll be able to stand up to the pressure and win RG.  He seems special on that front.  I mean, he beat a rusty Rafa, yes, but then he STARED DOWN a Djokovic who was nearing his killer form.

And yet another point: Alcaraz’s emergence may be further evidence that the ideal size for a tennis champion is still not in the 6’-5” range.  It may still be in the 6’-1” to 6’-3” range, allowing for great power plus tremendous speed and agility.  As impressive as Tsitsipas and Zeverev are as movers for guys their size ... they still lack the extraordinary movement that the Big Three have/had and that Alcaraz gives evidence of having.  As great as they are, they still don’t hit much bigger than the Big Three (if at all) and still can’t move on that level.

Medvedev remains the funky outlier.  I hope he’ll return in good health and form and will prove to be a good challenge for young Carlito.  Same for Thiem.

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 3

Well then... The French Open draw is complete and it's a doozy, at least for the men's side. All three of the players who are the oddsmakers favorite to win the title are on the same side. 

Rafa and Djokovic are on path to meet as early as the Quarterfinal. And then whoever wins that, could face Alcaraz in the semifinal. With Rafa's fitness up in the air, it's hard to imagine he could beat Djokovic and Alcaraz back to back.

Not that I think he can't do it, if he's healthy. It's just that unless he has another masterful performance a la the 2020 Final where he destroyed Djokovic, it's unlikely that no matter the outcome, it'll be a short match. And then to have to turn around and face another tenacious opponent that'll run everything down. Tall order. 

That said, hey, it may not even matter because maybe they don't even make it that far. Upsets do happen. And honestly, I can see a shock upset with Alcaraz. All this momentum and build and maybe just a tough opponent on a bad day and who knows. But it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds. 

Good thing is, even if the dreaded quarterfinal happens and Rafa loses, it still won't affect his perfect 13-0 Finals record. Petty on my part, sure. But hey, I've seen Rafa lose at RG before (admittedly not often). I've never had to see him lose in a Final and I'd like to keep it that way.

• Love 5

Also really sad for Thiem. It must be so frustrating for him. 

I always find myself rooting for Kanepi. She never wins it all, but she plays hard, is quiet and focused on court, never gives up, never acts out or chirps at her team, and no matter who is she is playing you there is a good chance she can win. I just find her very rootable. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Thanks @dcalley for the link.  Not that I expect too much from Peacock, but I'm disappointed that their coverage is basically only weekends with little more than NBC.  But at least there's no chance of getting Chris Fowler this time with Mary Carillo and Johnny Mac!

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Looks like the Tennis Channel is going to be doing the heavy lifting. 

I've been watching TC starting with Swiatek this morning. They have really stepped it up for Paris. Chanda Rubin was on for Swiatek followed by Pam Shriver covering defending champion Barbara Krejcikova.  TC has a studio overlooking the promenade at Roland Garros. I've never seen this perspective before, and I'm very impressed by the setup.

Shriver has developed into a great commentator and makes the matches more interesting.

Apparently, Krejcikova has an elbow injury and has been out for three months.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

That was a nice sendoff today for Tsonga playing the last match of his career.  He's got a lovely family, and I wish them well.  It was also nice seeing Monfils standing next to him in the group photo.

I'm guessing Monfils gets a similar sendoff next year.

• Love 4
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

It was also nice seeing Monfils standing next to him in the group photo.

It was very lovely.  I cried, I admit it.  He seems like a wonderful guy.  The tour will be less beautiful without him.  His smile is a close second to Rafa’s.

Was there ever an issue with Monfils?  Or did you mean that it was just nice in a general way to see Monfils next to him in the group photo?  (I remember that Monfils and Gasquet were very close since they were kids.  Don’t remember hearing anything in particular about Monfils and Tsonga.)

Edited by Harry24
1 minute ago, Harry24 said:

Was there ever an issue with Monfils?  Or did you mean that it was just nice in a general way to see Monfils next to him in the group photo?

Yes, that's what I meant.  (Honestly, I don't see how my comment could have been misinterpreted.)

31 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Yes, that's what I meant.  (Honestly, I don't see how my comment could have been misinterpreted.)

No criticism meant.  But I did indeed misinterpret it.  And my reading comprehension is pretty fair. 

Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Anyone know what the deal was with the dude with the drum during Alcaraz/Khachanov? Is it common for drums at tennis events in France? I don't recall seeing that before. I know it's a thing with some other sports in general, but I'm surprised a sport in which the ump regularly shushes the crowd would permit noisemakers in the stands.

• Love 1
On 5/29/2022 at 7:35 PM, theatremouse said:

Anyone know what the deal was with the dude with the drum during Alcaraz/Khachanov? Is it common for drums at tennis events in France? I don't recall seeing that before. I know it's a thing with some other sports in general, but I'm surprised a sport in which the ump regularly shushes the crowd would permit noisemakers in the stands.

There’s a drum in the Nadal Djokovic match, too. I don’t get it either. Never seen it at a tournament before.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was following on line and when Rafa jumped up and did a happy dance at my table in the restaurant. When I attracted attention, I announced Rafa’s win and was offered a couple of free celebration drinks. 

Suck it, Djoker.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 11

Yay, Coco!!

I hope she can make a good match against Iga (whom I also like.)

Big congratulations to Martina T.  I hope she’s able to continue to play at this level.  Hard to know how much the thigh injury affected today’s outcome.  Amazing effort.

• Love 8

I'm happy for Coco, too.  And I also like Trevisan, but the shriek.... ugh.  I didn't think it was possible to compete for most annoying/distracting/unbearable with Sabalenka's crazy grunts, but Trevisan's shrieks are close.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't remember ever seeing a male player crying out in pain on court like that.  It's reminiscent of when....ugh, I'm blanking on her name*.  She blew out her knee on court and was screaming for help.  It was horrific to see.

Edit:  *Bethanie Mattek-Sands

Edited by CouchTater
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, I Want My MBTV said:

Okay, I know I said I wanted Zverev in tears but that's not what I meant.   

You're a better person than I then.

Now that Wifebeater's out, I'll be happy with any outcome on the men's side.

• Love 6
On 5/31/2022 at 7:45 PM, I Want My MBTV said:

I hope Nadal has enough left in the tank to crush Zverev.  Not that I don't like a good match but I don't want it to even be close.  I want Zverev in tears.  

About that…

I had very mixed emotions watching Zverev go down. I think if it had been anyone else, even possibly Djoker, I would have been saddened. But it’s Zverev and his actions on and off the court have me a bit shruggy-guy. 

Rafa is in the finale and I’m very happy about that. Not the way it happened, although given his play in the first set tiebreak and his comeback in the second set where they were poised for another tiebreak, I think he would have been the victor. A victor after 7 hours LOL, but a victor nonetheless.

Also, Happy Birthday, Rafa!!! 🥳🎉

• Love 10
(edited)
5 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Not the way it happened, although given his play in the first set tiebreak and his comeback in the second set where they were poised for another tiebreak, I think he would have been the victor. A victor after 7 hours LOL, but a victor nonetheless.

This so much. Especially the 7 hours later with the way this was going. That humidity with the roof closed was really fucking up Rafa's game. And even still, you never got the sense that he wasn't going to win. But yeah, hopefully things aren't so bad on Sunday, although the forecast suggests rain is likely. So we'll see. 

As for Zverev, I completely understand the "screw him" attitude many have. I think for me, I was conflicted with the match ending this way, less for Zverev and more because I knew Rafa being Rafa, it would dampen his deserved joy at being in another Final. Not to mention he didn't get to have his birthday cake on court, like we know was going to happen, had he won in complete fashion. Yes, it's the little things I hold onto. 

As for the Final, I like Casper. He has the cutest dimples and just seems like such a nice guy. But yeah, sadly, I'll be rooting for him to lose. Look a few years ago, I'd made my peace with the fact that all great eras eventually end and as long as he didn't lose to Djokovic, I was okay with Rafa losing in the Finals at the French Open.

Again, to be clear, I ALWAYS rooted for him to win but I wouldn't have been broken up if say Thiem had won one of their Finals. However, it's clear that the end may be near for Rafa with the ongoing foot issues. So who knows if he'll even be able to play next year, much less win. So for that reason, yeah I'll need for this to be quick and painless in Rafa's favor. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7
50 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

As for Zverev, I completely understand the "screw him" attitude many have. I think for me, I was conflicted with the match ending this way, less for Zverev and more because I knew Rafa being Rafa, it would dampen his deserved joy at being in another Final. Not to mention he didn't get to have his birthday cake on court, like we know was going to happen, had he won in complete fashion. Yes, it's the little things I hold onto. 

As for the Final, I like Casper. But yeah, sadly, I'll be rooting for him to lose.

Agreeing with your thoughts on Rafa not getting to truly savor being in another finale, which is just so amazing. I am really pulling for him to pull off #14 and 22, respectively.

Yup to rooting for Casper to lose, as nice guy though he appears to be, he’ll have other chances and finals. Rafa, in his twilight years from a tennis perspective, will not. And to be clear, I’m not rooting for Rafa solely because of that, but because of his heart and love of the game and how he still puts the younger generation through tennis clinics almost every time he steps onto the court  

• Love 7