Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Ons maybe needs a bit of her opponent's stoicism. When she is up, she is fist pumping after every shot, but when momentum shifted, she got so rattled and down on herself, she couldn't recover and started making uncharacteristic errors. 

I want to like Ons, but she needs to calm down with the fist pumping.  It's ok for players to do it occasionally, but I don't like it when players like her do it too frequently.  I feel the same way about Alcaraz, even though I like him too.

• Love 4

Final recap: Jelena is trying to be Villanelle in that poofy pink number. Prince George learned some colorful new words today. Kyrgios' team has done their squat workout for the entire year, having to stand up for him after every single point. Oh, and there was some tennis.  

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Final recap: Jelena is trying to be Villanelle in that poofy pink number. Prince George learned some colorful new words today. Kyrgios' team has done their squat workout for the entire year, having to stand up for him after every single point. Oh, and there was some tennis.  

Genius post right here, @TVbitch. Love it!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all!  I'm proud to say I very intentionally scheduled an early movie date with a friend to coincide with the final, so I only saw the first couple of games as I was getting ready.

For those who watched, did I miss any drama?  Bad words? Linesmen or spectators being hit by an errant ball or spit on?

Thanks in advance for the report!

I didn't watch, I've been watching Breaking Bad reruns.  A few minutes ago, I turned to Sports Center just to see the result.  No surprise.

In the words of Jesse from Breaking Bad:  No one cares, BITCH!  YO! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Hi all!  I'm proud to say I very intentionally scheduled an early movie date with a friend to coincide with the final, so I only saw the first couple of games as I was getting ready.

For those who watched, did I miss any drama?  Bad words? Linesmen or spectators being hit by an errant ball or spit on?

Thanks in advance for the report!

Kyrgios insisted to the chair umpire at length that there was a drunk woman harassing him during the points from the first row, “the woman who’s had like 600 drinks” according to him. It seems like she might have been thrown out.

Lots of Kyrgios talking to himself and his box.

I think that was about it. I watched the first two sets live and FF’d through the last two so might have missed something.

• Like 1

Thank you @Rickster.

Just curious, what's the consensus of everyone here about Kyrgios's deal is?  I know he has mentioned depression, but it seems to me something more is going on there.  I know we can't diagnosis him, but what the heck?  His antics are really uncomfortable to watch.

• Love 2

I watched the match, I thought the tennis was great, but man. I could've done without the constant shots of Kyrgios' box standing and clapping after every point. The gravy train must pay very well for them to take all that abuse.

And speaking of player boxes....Jelena looked unwell. I saw pictures of her at the Champions dinner, (oddly wearing the same pink dress from the match) and she's so thin it's painful. I hope she's okay. 

• Sad 1

Kyrgios has assault allegations against him from a former girlfriend. The way he abuses his box, that doesn’t surprise me one bit. I did not watch much, but I caught him screaming at the changeover something about love 40. He just seems very unhinged.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, diana said:

Kyrgios has assault allegations against him from a former girlfriend. The way he abuses his box, that doesn’t surprise me one bit. I did not watch much, but I caught him screaming at the changeover something about love 40. He just seems very unhinged.

There were several service games where Nick had 40-0 only for it to end up at deuce. Nick was screaming at his box because he felt they eased up on cheering for him when he had a big lead, allowing (in his mind) for Novak to work his way back in. Ridiculous and illogical, but that's how he rolls. My mother and I were joking how hilarious it would've been if Nick's team said "Eff it" and got up and left. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 7/8/2022 at 11:36 AM, peachmangosteen said:

ESPN just showed a piece with Joker talking about people being mean to him and not respecting his decisions. Fucking hell, I can not stand this guy. 

And his equally delusional stans love to parrot his same victim complex narrative. As a general rule, I tend to avoid social media comments, as I find social media to be a giant ball of toxicity.

However, for some godawful reason, the last two days I've been unable to escape some tennis related stuff. And yeah, the gymnastics done by Djokovic's fans are something else. Djokovic was robbed of the Australian Open this year, and wait for it, they still insist he was also robbed of the US Open where he accidentally wacked the poor lineswoman. And it's all evidence that if the world was "fair" to their idol, he would have the most Grand Slams already because those two titles were stolen from him. 

Oh and in keeping with those stolen from him, Rafa's Australian Open is an asterisk, despite the fact that while yes, not having to play Djokovic, Rafa played and beat Berrettini, Medvedev, and Shapovalov while Djkovic's highest seed he faced at this year's Wimbledon was Sinner. Oh and let's ignore that the Russians and Belarusians weren't allowed to play and two tops seeds pulled out due to COVID. None of that counts because Djoker won fair and square - which he did, don't get me wrong.

But Rafa's win is an asterisk. Oh and apparently Rafa exaggerated his injury because he was terrified of facing Kyrgios (who he just beat at IW this year AND the last time they played at Wimbledon) and Djokovic (who the stans will insist to you Rafa hasn't beaten at Wimbledon since 2008. Okay ignore that they only played ONCE after that in 2019 where Rafa lost in a very close 5 setter). 

I just... the stupidity, the delusion, the arrogance... I just can't. But as they say, like attracts like. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 4
  • Love 7
On 7/3/2022 at 8:19 AM, CouchTater said:

@Spunkygal, how easy was it logistically for you to get those seats?  I'm wondering what it takes to get tickets to a final at a major.

The closest I've come is driving past Roland Garros this year 🤣

Wimbledon’s public lottery is resumed for next year! 

https://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/tickets/the_wimbledon_public_ballot.html?fbclid=IwAR0lpbe9AT_1Obq_S50b0OOeZFzUmQKsPttkmz2bRrHDqdpBLX8Ters428k

• Useful 2
18 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Thanks for the article. So many are ignoring this issue. I'm glad Mary Carillo did this.

One of the few to take a stand is Mary Carillo, who last year quit her role as a commentator for the Laver Cup tournament, which Zverev was playing in, because of the event’s unwillingness to address the domestic violence questions.

“I don’t want to be a part of the silence,” Carillo told the “Behind the Racquet” tennis podcast. “If you’re quiet, it suggests you’re complicit.”

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

I don't always think of how his birthday and TB12's special day are very close.  I used to a couple decades ago; while the latter was dominating his sport, Roger was doing so a much higher and more impressive level.  They were both the top story in their respective sports, and while things might be trending toward being completely done for real, the fact that Federer was able to compete well past the average age (and win) is rather nice!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Carey said:

I don't always think of how his birthday and TB12's special day are very close.  I used to a couple decades ago; while the latter was dominating his sport, Roger was doing so a much higher and more impressive level.  They were both the top story in their respective sports, and while things might be trending toward being completely done for real, the fact that Federer was able to compete well past the average age (and win) is rather nice!

TB12 ???

13 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:
29 minutes ago, Carey said:

TB12 ???

TB12 is Tom Brady.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Carey said:

And Roger is in an individual sport! But time and the wear and tear are catching up. 😥 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Same here, who is that?

never mind!

Ditto.  I do not follow football & don't know the players, at all, but thanks.

2 hours ago, Carey said:

Gotcha (now).  Thanks.

Sorry Medicine CrowSpunkygal!  Even though football is tops in the US, that's in the US, just one of a fleet of countries on Planet Earth.  I should've spelled that out as several people do not watch football, which I am aware.  Furthermore, even in an American football section, I usually would've put Tom Brady's name out in full, at least to start.  Just a case of the Mondays, I guess.

As mentioned, a lot doesn't go into why Tennis (and even golf) are underrated.  In the NFL, as well as baseball, hockey, and basketball, you can do absolutely nothing, and win a title.  Tennis is great because if you're great like Rafa and Federer, you'll be doing a lot of winning.  Professional golf has its pros and cons; you can be great, and still lose.  On the other hand, you can be awful and maybe have a chance.

One bad day in (professional) Tennis, and it's over.  Overall interest between one sport and another doesn't change that.  Plus, you have to be healthy & fit, so it'll be tough with a Nadal-free US Open, but I'd rather not see a hurt version of the best, one of the best, especially if it would worsen his condition going forward

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Personally, I've really tried to get into football & hockey, but ...   I'm a tennis, basketball & golf fan & that's not going to change.  I appreciate sports & wish I had the time for baseball because I think it's a great game.

9 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

TB12 is Tom Brady

Just to clarify, #12 is Tom Brady's jersey number, hence the nickname "TB12". He also uses it to promote his fitness and training regimen.

Blows my mind to think Roger Federer is 41. He's well past the age anyone would think a tennis player would play until, and, while I'm not sure he's at his peak, he's still at a very high level and just may be for several years yet, if injuries haven't derailed him by now. Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic may wind up winning more majors than Federer will, but I don't think there's a question in my mind that Federer is the best who's ever swung the racquet.

Now, his acting skills could use a bit of work, but I guess that just proves Federer is a human after all. :P

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Fed is forever one of my favorites, cuz his game is just so pretty to watch. 

I actively resisted football my entire life while all my friends watched, and then around 50 I decided, okay, I will try learning what those guys running around are actually doing ...and then, pow, I got totally sucked into it, so you never know!

At first I HATED Tom Brady, but once he got away from the Patriots, I found I really developed an appreciation for him as an exceptional athlete still going strong. 

I was born and raised and still live in what is arguably the most football-rabid part of the country. I went to high school and college games to oogle boys and later was dragged to Cowboy games when Landry was coach. When he was let go in Jerry’s usual trashy fashion, I divorced football and haven’t missed it one bit! 

On topic: I can’t imagine there’ll ever be another to rival what Serena has done. I’m not a particular fan of hers, but have huge respect for her.  I do think Joker will surpass Roger’s win total but will never come close to garnering the respect and adulation that Roger has. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I do think Joker will surpass Roger’s win total but will never come close to garnering the respect and adulation that Roger has. 

And it will absolutely KILL Novak for the rest of time.  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I do think Joker will surpass Roger’s win total but will never come close to garnering the respect and adulation that Roger has. 

Novak's attitude rubs a lot of people the wrong way, especially with what he's done lately. Plus his game isn't very pretty- though he, too, can hit the "impossible" shots, he doesn't go for them like Roger does. He's just a very efficient, no nonsense player who wins by minimizing mistakes. It means he wins a lot and frustrates a shotmaker like Roger but it also means I just can't get excited to see him play.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Disappointed, really. I was hoping she could make a run at Margaret Court's record, but I guess age has finally caught up to her.

I think she'll also be, like Novak, another player who might not get the adulation she deserves. I don't think there's any doubt Serena Williams is the best female tennis player ever, with an argument to be made that she just may be the best tennis player ever, period. I won't get into that debate minefield, but I'm sure others may make that case.

What may hold her back are her attitude issues which are not entirely unfair (wanting to shove the ball down the line judge's throat likely cost her the 2009 U.S, Open), and, unfortunately, the race issue. Let's be honest with ourselves, if Anna Kournikova or Eugenie Bouchard accomplished what Serena did, they would be celebrated the world over. I mean, until Maria Sharapova found herself in a drug scandal she was practically revered as a goddess. No one found her "polarizing" like we do with Serena despite the fact Sharapova was a dominant player herself.

Well, in that case, Serena, enjoy your retirement. It'll be a pity you won't break Court's record, but, as you state, you're going out on your own terms. You've earned it, and I don't believe there is any question you are among the all-time greats in the sport- men or women.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Disappointed, really. I was hoping she could make a run at Margaret Court's record, but I guess age has finally caught up to her.

I honestly think only tennis fans who obsess about numbers only, care about this Margaret Court record. From what I've observed over the years from both tennis media, online forums and the like, no one even really considers Court one of the greats of women's tennis, much less the greatest. You see people mention Chrissy, Martina and Steffi more than they mention Margaret Court and Serena surpassed all of these women.

And many are always quick to point out that much of Court's records came before the Open Era, a distinction that is important. So as I said, I really don't think most tennis fans truly believe Margaret Court was a greater player than Serena Williams, just because of that one extra title. And this is also why I personally hate the obsession with numbers and never engage with the never ending GOAT debates. 

I loved what Rafa said earlier this year, I think it was after his French Open win when he was asked about said debate about him, Djokovic and Federer. As Rafa put it, "we all accomplished our dreams. We all did something amazing..." And that's the bottom line. One title, two titles here, at the end of the day, Rafa, Federer and Djokovic have all cemented their place in tennis history. And that's what Serena has done as well. Her legacy is secured. 

What may hold her back are her attitude issues which are not entirely unfair (wanting to shove the ball down the line judge's throat likely cost her the 2009 U.S, Open), and, unfortunately, the race issue. Let's be honest with ourselves, if Anna Kournikova or Eugenie Bouchard accomplished what Serena did, they would be celebrated the world over.

Again, I may just be reading different parts of the internet but from where I've sat, Serena is very much lauded and celebrated as one of, if not the greatest female tennis player of all time...period. Yes, some people may not have been her biggest fan for whatever myriad of reasons but that doesn't mean her talent and legacy in the sport has ever been challenged. 

The Djokovic comparison doesn't work because one of the reasons Djokovic is not as revered despite his many accomplishments, is because unfortunately for him, he's always had to stand toe to toe with two other legends. Two other legends that yes, many love more. But more importantly, there's a legitimate debate of the three because of how much they've all won and how closely their accomplishments mirror each other. 

Serena doesn't have that among her peers. She literally stands on her own amongst her contemporaries. None of them came close to what she's achieved, which is why she's spoken about only in comparison to legends of the past. Because there is no question that she outpaced, outperformed and dominated her contemporaries. So I absolutely disagree that she'll be Novak like in terms of how her legacy in the sport is celebrated. IMHO. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Serena doesn't have that among her peers. She literally stands on her own amongst her contemporaries. None of them came close to what she's achieved, which is why she's spoken about only in comparison to legends of the past. Because there is no question that she outpaced, outperformed and dominated her contemporaries. So I absolutely disagree that she'll be Novak like in terms of how her legacy in the sport is celebrated. IMHO. 

This.  This right here.

• Love 6

While I am sad to see Serena retire as I love her so much, I'm glad to see she is going out on her own terms. She also looks stunning in those photographs.

IMO, she is not only the greatest player on the women's side but one of the all-time greats, period.

Did I, on some level, want her to tie or beat Court's record? Of course, but Serena is and will always be the far superior player and person. And I, for one, have always put Court's 24 with an *. As noted upthread, most of Court's titles came before the Open Era and almost half were from the Aussie Open, her home country, most pre-dating the Open Era and even those that came later were at a time when most of the top players weren't traveling to Australia. 

When I think of all that she has done for the sport, for women and women of color, especially, it's absolutely astonishing. As @truthaboutluv so aptly put it, she has no contemporaries that can even come close to all she has accomplished. Even Venus, who dominated so much early on, was eclipsed by her little sister. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Maybe making a comparison to Novak Djokovic was a bit of a stretch. Maybe things are bit different now too.

I do recall, though, that at the height of the Williams sisters' powers that they weren't exactly celebrated. People complained about how often they won. There were complaints about their antics and those of their father, Richard. There was the Indian Wells controversy and all those issues at the U.S. Open. I also remember a row because Serena wasn't wearing dresses anymore.

If nothing else, I don't recall seeing Serena's or Venus' faces plastered all over the billboards like Maria Sharapova was.

Then there's always that debate about how well Serena would do against the men. I think those debates are pointless, because Serena never had to actually compete against the men. Exhibitions don't count- Serena never had to prepare to get through anything other than a WTA tournament. She never had to navigate her way through an ATP event.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with a lot of Serena's detractors because I think race motivates their views. I just find it interesting Serena's not as much as a pop culture icon as she should be- her retirement news didn't even get a mention on the home web sites of CNN and CTVNews (as of this writing), when you'd think she'd get some kind of mention.

Maybe now that she's retired the wider public will come around on her. She deserves it.

• Love 1

I do recall, though, that at the height of the Williams sisters' powers that they weren't exactly celebrated. People complained about how often they won. There were complaints about their antics and those of their father, Richard. There was the Indian Wells controversy and all those issues at the U.S. Open. I also remember a row because Serena wasn't wearing dresses anymore.

Serena has had an almost 25 year career. Much of that stuff happened decades ago. Many great players had their detractors early in their career. It was brought up here some weeks back that Rafa was not as beloved as he is now when he first began his rise. Some people thought he was weird for all his on-court tics, people accused him of faking injuries, etc.

No one is ever completely beloved. But someone doesn't necessarily have to be beloved to be lauded. And I think that's where we're discussing two different things. Did Serena have her detractors for all reasons ranging from her race, some of her controversies on court, etc. - sure. Does that mean that because of this, she's not considered one of the greatest of all times - no.

I compare it to how I feel about Djokovic. I don't personally care for Djokovic as a person. But as a fan of the sport of tennis, I have never questioned Djokovic's talent and his place in the pantheon of the sport. 

If nothing else, I don't recall seeing Serena's or Venus' faces plastered all over the billboards like Maria Sharapova was.

Serena is one of the richest athletes in the world. Trust, she's had plenty of billboards in her long career. 

I just find it interesting Serena's not as much as a pop culture icon as she should be- her retirement news didn't even get a mention on the home web sites of CNN and CTVNews (as of this writing), when you'd think she'd get some kind of mention.

I can't speak for CTV but I saw Serena's announcement covered on ABC nightly news, TIME, RollingStone, The New York Times reported it as breaking news, and a slew of other top entertainment publications. 

Also, just the manner in which she announced her retirement speaks to her celebrity status - it was as the cover story of the  September issue of Vogue. Anyone who knows anything about fashion magazines know that the September issue is THE issue for the year. Getting that cover is huge. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7

I think we might have to agree to disagree on this. I'm not going in circles with this conversation. For clarity, never said "Serena is not an all-time great". I just wondered aloud if the wider public has come around on her given Serena is not an "English rose", fair maiden type.

Officially, Serena has not yet retired. She just lost today in Toronto and the crowd sent her off with a great ovation, as did the person who beat her, Belinda Bencic (who conceded the spotlight to Serena). Serena hasn't indicated when her last match will be, but I think she's likely done after the U.S. Open.

So maybe she can tie Margaret Court after all. We'll see.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 8/10/2022 at 3:37 AM, Danielg342 said:

What may hold her back are her attitude issues which are not entirely unfair (wanting to shove the ball down the line judge's throat likely cost her the 2009 U.S, Open), and, unfortunately, the race issue. Let's be honest with ourselves, if Anna Kournikova or Eugenie Bouchard accomplished what Serena did, they would be celebrated the world over. I mean, until Maria Sharapova found herself in a drug scandal she was practically revered as a goddess. No one found her "polarizing" like we do with Serena despite the fact Sharapova was a dominant player herself.

First of all, I'll very much miss Serena and really appreciate all the issues she brought up about being a woman who is also an athlete and the constant tension between wanting to play your sport at the top level and wanting to have children. 

I think Serena's level of celebrity, at least in this country, is far beyond any other tennis player and she is a true legacy. If anything, some of her moments of anger on the court have brought more attention to her, to the sport, and to issues involving unconscious bias. 

I have to disagree about the 2009 US Open, though. Kim basically had her beaten when she was defaulted on match point, and in two sets. Kim was playing really, really well, and Serena wasn't at her level at that particular GS. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Jillibean said:

I have to disagree about the 2009 US Open, though. Kim basically had her beaten when she was defaulted on match point, and in two sets. Kim was playing really, really well, and Serena wasn't at her level at that particular GS. 

Perhaps, but 2009 Serena could probably come back from 6-0, 5-0 0-40 if she had to. She'd already won almost half of her title haul by that point (11) and was the defending U.S. Open champion. If I could accept someone doing the impossible at that point, it would be Serena Williams. Kim Clijsters played a heck of a match, yes, but 6-5, 30-15 (where the match stood when Serena made her outburst) is still anyone's game. If Serena managed to get that point, tie the set and bring it to the tiebreak who knows how the match could have turned out. Sometimes, all you need to turn a match around is one opportunity, especially if you're as great as Serena is.

We'll never know.  The outburst probably wasn't necessary, but I guess there may have been the active concern that she was on life support and up against it.  While there's no excuse for it, if it had been a situation where Kim was (also) facing elimination and was a turning point, then I could understand.  For example if it was the third set and Serena was up 6-5, 30-15 and Clijsters won out, that would totally suck.

I'll miss Williams regardless of what's next, as I doubt she'll play forever.  As mentioned, she has the chance or a chance to tie Court.  Of course, if she doesn't, I might not feel too upset since there are now two other individuals that can match (and surpass) Margaret.  Something I would not have bet on a decade ago

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Carey said:

We'll never know.  The outburst probably wasn't necessary, but I guess there may have been the active concern that she was on life support and up against it.  While there's no excuse for it, if it had been a situation where Kim was (also) facing elimination and was a turning point, then I could understand.  For example if it was the third set and Serena was up 6-5, 30-15 and Clijsters won out, that would totally suck.

It's natural when you're losing- and losing decisively- to get angry and think "the world is against you", including the umps. No excuse for the outburst, obviously, but I imagine Serena  Williams thought, "if I could just get one break!"

I never count out the greats. Nadal, Djokovic and Federer have all come back from 0-2 down and I'm sure Serena has also beat back impossible odds too. Plus, while she's a veteran and likely not as fazed to face Serena as others may be, I'm sure Kim Clijsters was still happy she didn't actually have to play out to secure the match.

I agree, the real shame is that we'll never know what could have happened. Yes, there's no guarantee that a cooler head would have seen Serena though that match, but, it may have at least given her a chance, which is all she would need.

I'll be glad to see Serena go. She always has to be the centre of attention and creates a fooferah wherever she goes. Always has to be the victim and she and her fans can find an excuse for anything she does.

As Rafa says: If If If. Doesn't exist.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 8/14/2022 at 1:33 AM, shok said:

I'll be glad to see Serena go. She always has to be the centre of attention and creates a fooferah wherever she goes. Always has to be the victim and she and her fans can find an excuse for anything she does.

As Rafa says: If If If. Doesn't exist.

Agree.  I feel like she should have left after the 2021 Australian Open.  She looked good in that tournament but came up short against Naomi Osaka.   There were some retirement whispers then because she had trained so hard and still was not back in top form.

I've honestly been embarrassed for her watching her at Wimbledon and Cincinnati.  It waa so painful to me watching her against Radacanu.  She was like a shell of her former self.  I would rather have seen her go out a year earlier when she still had it than watch  how she has played this year. I  give Radacanu credit for honoring Serena before talking about herself.

• Like 2

I’ll be sad to see Serena leave. She’s the main reason I watch tennis, and she’s a huge role model of mine. I think it’ll be another generation before another woman eclipses her record. The “fooferah” that happens wherever she goes is because she’s a 23-time Grand Slam winner, and it’s well deserved.

• Applause 2
  • Love 8