Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Yay, Rafa!  I'm so glad he beat that whiny man baby who walks around like he's got a load in his diaper.   

While I'd be delighted if Rafa won it all, I'd be ok with anyone else winning as long as it's not Kyrgios.   

I always think of a rooster prancing around the barnyard when I see him ... LOL.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I always think of a rooster prancing around the barnyard when I see him ... LOL.

Good one! 😅

He walks around wide-legged and that's why I thought about the loaded diaper.  My kid brother used to walk around like that.  

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Random observation: why are the ball kids/people dressed like they’re wearing the South African flag?  (I know it’s not exact, but that’s what I see every time.)

lol, I've seen so many references to various countries regarding their uniform. I've seen St. Kitts & Nevis, Trinidad and Tobago, South Africa, etc.

• Like 2

UO, but I don’t mind all the Serena fanfare. This is her swan song, the sand is running out of the hourglass, whether she loses tonight or wins the whole dang thing. She’s more than earned the attention and adulation after all she’s accomplished. I would say the same for the Big 3 on the men’s side and yes, that includes Djoker, much as I can’t stand him on a personal level. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

It's one thing to play the hype video before Serena plays a match, but l think it's downright rude to play it before other players start to play, like Gauff and Keys today.  

Again, I don't blame her; I blame the media.  I have never seen this much coverage for any famous athlete in any sport.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

It's one thing to play the hype video before Serena plays a match, but l think it's downright rude to play it before other players start to play, like Gauff and Keys today.  

Again, I don't blame her; I blame the media.  I have never seen this much coverage for any famous athlete in any sport.

This. Along with the media, it's another thing I feel like we can blame social media and the Internet for. I remember Agassi's final year, the US Open crowd going crazy during that night match between him and Baghdatis and certainly they gave him his flowers.

But it was nothing like this because we didn't have social media where the UTSTA was concerned with making cute tribute videos, and hashtag trends, and sharing what other famous people are tweeting or posting, etc. As I've said before, part of the additional pressure that comes with the sport is how the media landscape has significantly changed, owing in large part to the advent of social media. 

And before it's said, no, I'm not saying Andre, wonderful as he was, had a career comparable to Serena's in terms of wins. But the fact is he was at one point one of the most famous tennis players in the world and did leave his mark on the sport.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I’d love to see Serena win it all, but I feel bad for Ajla T.   Ajla has said she grew up idolising Serena.  It’s not her fault that she is playing her.  But this crowd is about 99% Serena.  They roar loudly anytime Serena wins a point.  They even roar when Ajla double faults.  

Right now, Ajla took the first set.  Serena had a 4-0 lead in the second.  Ajla fought back and got to 5-4 Serena.  Ajla served a game that went over 10 minutes and many deuces.  When she finally won the game you could hear a pin drop.  Just a few claps.  Come on people, at least recognise that Ajla is playing her heart out. 

Edited by blackwing
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

I’m going to miss her.

If she could have won that game that had like 23 points, I think she would have taken the third set.

Alja is either going to lose in straight sets in her next match, or win the whole thing.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Farewell, Serena.  You are, indeed, the G.O.A.T.

However, much respect to Alja Tomijanovic for playing under the most difficult of circumstances, with 99.99% of the crowd cheering for her opponent at every turn.  She also gave a very gracious speech after Serena's farewell speech.

She deserved that win.  Win or lose the next match, she did a helluva job.  

• Like 9
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I don’t blame her, but I would say pre-announcing your retirement before the US Open, while a nice gesture to make sure your fans can get out to see you one last time, also allowed Serena, the US Open, ESPN and other media to leverage it for maximum publicity. After all, do the US Open and ESPN get more viewers showing Serena and Serena tributes, or another semi anonymous Eastern European tennis player?

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

However, much respect to Alja Tomijanovic for playing under the most difficult of circumstances, with 99.99% of the crowd cheering for her opponent at every turn.  She also gave a very gracious speech after Serena's farewell speech.

So much this. Ajla did an amazing job of keeping herself positive despite the fact that the crowd was cheering her missed serves and groaning in disappointment whenever she hit a winner. Fans heavily favoring one player is nothing new and opponents know to expect it, but three hours of everyone actively rooting against you had to be draining. 

• Like 5
  • Love 4

Actually was in tears watching Serena play last night. That match was incredible. They both played their hearts out. 

Thank you for everything, Serena. You continue to inspire me. Hell, at 32 years old, I want to start playing tennis now.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, shok said:

Hallelujah. Maybe we can finally have some actual tennis coverage now, of actual tennis players playing tennis.

My listing originally had West Michigan vs MSU on the mothership, which Ajila vs Serena on the Deuce.  No shocker, Tennis was on ESPN while College Football was on ESPN2.  People, mainly fair-weather fans, may fall into football mode & some baseball.  Especially if Rafa goes down.

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Alja is either going to lose in straight sets in her next match, or win the whole thing.

I hope not (mainly the former).  If she's not the champ, so be it.  However, IMO, a storyline might be that Tomijanovic beat Williams for nothing if she ends up losing right away.  Maybe another win or so, but that would suck if she got routed in her next match.  Still, can't blame her that she had the world against her.

FWIW, I'm okay that Serena lost here instead of someone else I sorta hate

• Love 2

What an AMAZING match between Petra and Mugu.  I love both, but I my heart was with Petra.  Bravi to both ladies.  I hope Mugu can build on this and get back to the top echelons, where she belongs.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I have been very surprised at the lack of coverage on Rafa about that freak accident he had the other night.  

I want Aija to win the title now.  She exemplified grace as well as grit.

I'm thinking Rafa is still pissed with the press after they took pictures of his wife on their yacht when she was having a difficult pregnancy.  I think he'll be wearing shades to hide his "supposedly" black eyes.

Ditto re Aija.  She was phenomenal & beyond a winner!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
More to say.
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I have been very surprised at the lack of coverage on Rafa about that freak accident he had the other night.  

I mean there's not much to say about it - he was fine by the time the match ended and posted a few hours after the match, to further reassure his fans that he was okay. In the moment it happened, it was definitely weird but yeah, not really much more to say about it. 

5 hours ago, Harry24 said:

What an AMAZING match between Petra and Mugu.  I love both, but I my heart was with Petra.  Bravi to both ladies.  I hope Mugu can build on this and get back to the top echelons, where she belongs.

With the way things have been going with Garbine in the last few years, I'd say it's more likely that the loss will just cause her to have more of a slump because it'll likely be a huge hit to her confidence. It's similar to when she blew match points against Osaka at the Australian Open. I think she went months after that barely winning a match. 

Serena's final match was bittersweet because it was a match she was more than capable of winning - served for the first set and had that massive lead in the second. However, I feel like it showed exactly why she's retiring. The reality is no matter how willing the spirit still is and how much passion for the game and the fight still exists, you can't really fight against time and age.

And physically she's just not the player she once was and well yeah, because she's 41. Certainly not old for the normal person but for an elite athlete in a physically demanding sport like tennis, yeah that's a tough challenge. 

I haven't commented much on Serena's retirement because truthfully, my feelings about her is kind of complicated. I absolutely recognize her as the greatest female tennis player of all time. I recognize her legacy and impact on the sport. And as a black woman, close in age to Venus and Serena, I remember clearly when they burst onto the scene and it was cool, seeing these two black women kicking ass in this predominantly white sport. Because I wasn't alive to appreciate Althea Gibson's legendary career. 

So I definitely cheered them on and rooted for them in the early years. However, over the years, there just became a series of things here and there with Serena that while I still respected her talent, made me less of a stan if you will. Truthfully, very early into the Williams Sisters success, I recognized that I liked Venus a lot more. I just loved her overall style and demeanor and was bummed that her illness derailed her career a bit. 

So all that to say, I wish Serena well in the next chapter of her life. I stand by what I've said before that she's long had nothing to prove and certainly didn't need to tie Court's record to be the GOAT, because she already is. But am I saddened seeing her career on the court come to an end, not really.

To be fair, I'm also fairly pragmatic about these things and am rarely emotional when anyone retires. I mean I adore Rafa but I don't think I'll be particularly upset when he retires either. Because I mean it's not like a case of a career derailed by injuries and so there's a lot of "what if..." Rafa like Serena, will have made his impact on the sport. What else is there after you've already done that?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

What the hell is going on with TSN!!!  FOUR channels showing women's tennis & Rafa/Gasquet game "cut off".  Geez!!!  (I don't have Tennis channel this year.)

Well that's probably because there isn't much happening in the Rafa/Gasquet match, other than poor Gasquet getting annihilated. The score is currently 6-0/6-1.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I'm thinking Rafa is still pissed with the press after they took pictures of his wife on their yacht when she was having a difficult pregnancy.  I think he'll be wearing shades to hide his "supposedly" black eyes.

Wait what? Where have I been? Mrs. Rafa is having a difficult pregnancy? Please, no. 

36 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Wait what? Where have I been? Mrs. Rafa is having a difficult pregnancy? Please, no. 

Rafa kinda wanted to keep Mrs. Rafa's status undisclosed.  I imagine Nadal didn't want anyone to know until after she delivered (at the earliest).  Rafa TBH isn't one to pimp his private life

• Like 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Yeah, apparently Xisca was admitted to the hospital prior to the Open. Rafa confirmed yesterday that everything is fine, but he's (understandably) angry because someone took video of her entering the facility and her medical history was leaked to the press. The leaked info said she's going to have to remain hospitalized for several weeks for observation. It sounds to me like she might end up delivering early. 

• Sad 12
22 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, apparently Xisca was admitted to the hospital prior to the Open. Rafa confirmed yesterday that everything is fine, but he's (understandably) angry because someone took video of her entering the facility and her medical history was leaked to the press. The leaked info said she's going to have to remain hospitalized for several weeks for observation. It sounds to me like she might end up delivering early. 

What of her medical history was leaked to the press? I didn't hear that part of the story. I've always thought (and this is totally conjecture on my part - I have absolutely no knowledge about it) that perhaps Mery had some problem that caused difficulty in her getting pregnant and perhaps she (and Rafa) had to resort to fertility procedures. A few years ago, Rafa was so open about being wonderfully excited to start a family but then nothing happened...that we heard about anyway. I just hope so fervently that she's fine and that the baby is going to be all right too. They're such lovely people and have such terrific relatives, they'd make wonderful parents.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 9/3/2022 at 7:18 PM, Spunkygal said:

She was terrific, especially in her last match after the Serena spectacle. Gotta give her credit for keeping herself together and playing so well. Have to wonder about her judgement though. I mean, she dumped the gorgeous and charming Matteo Berrettini!!! He is so cute! How could she??!!  :D

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Well, Krygios took out Med, and will likely make mincemeat of Khachanov. He does have a brilliant game when he is focused, but I just can't root for someone that disruptive. Even when he is acting a bit more professional on the court, the crowd he draws is so unruly and disrespectful. I guess the people love a spectacle. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, shok said:

She was terrific, especially in her last match after the Serena spectacle. Gotta give her credit for keeping herself together and playing so well. Have to wonder about her judgement though. I mean, she dumped the gorgeous and charming Matteo Berrettini!!! He is so cute! How could she??!!  :D

I think, for her, there's lots of fish in the ocean ... just sayin'!!!

• Love 2

Funny, I've read the opposite, that Matteo broke up with Ajla. Of course the rumor mill was also saying he cheated. So if she was the one who did the breaking up, that may be the reason. 

In other news, looks like Tiafoe's about to have the biggest upset of his life. Good for him, I guess. I wish I could like him more, were it not for the OTT on court reactions but at least it's not a visceral dislike like I have for Kyrgios.

In fact, I don't dislike Frances at all. I just find his on court antics when he's winning a bit too extra at times. But for the most part, he seems like an okay guy. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

I agree about Tiafoe's OTT reactions on the court.  I haven't had a chance to watch the match today, but a friend of mine told me that his coach told him to cut out the hijinks on the court. 

I didn't expect Nadal to win it all, but I don't care as long as it's not Krygios.

Wow.  Just checked the score.  Congrats to Tiafoe.  Just don't act like a dick.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I didn't expect Nadal to win it all, but I don't care as long as it's not Krygios.

This so much. To be honest, I'm actually excited to see who of these guys (NOT Kyrgios) has it in them to really step up and seize this moment. For the first time in a long time, there's no Djokovic or Rafa or Federer. Let's just hope whoever wins doesn't follow it up with the bad luck poor Thiem had.

My personal favorite to win it all is either Carlos because I think it'll be a fitting end to what has been a pretty amazing year on tour or Sinner who I think really has the game to win the big titles but just hasn't stepped up yet like Carlos has at say the Masters. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

My personal favorite to win it all is either Carlos because I think it'll be a fitting end to what has been a pretty amazing year on tour or Sinner who I think really has the game to win the big titles but just hasn't stepped up yet like Carlos has at say the Masters. 

I feel like I should be rooting for Tiafoe because he's from the DMV, but I just can't get totally into him yet.  I like Alcaraz and Sinner.   

• Love 1

What's wrong with Brad Gilbert?  Is he sick?  I haven't seen him in awhile (I tend to unfocus and mute the volume when he's on screen because he's so damned annoying), so I don't know if it's age or illness.  I'm leaning toward illness?  He looks rough.

6 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Francis has become far more palatable since he knocked off the on court antics. 

I think this is Carlito's to lose.

That would be great!

Regarding Francis, I wish he'd knock off the strip show of him taking off his shirt.  He does that a lot and seems to think he's hot.  Not. 

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

That would be great!

Regarding Francis, I wish he'd knock off the strip show of him taking off his shirt.  He does that a lot and seems to think he's hot.  Not. 

Rafa also changes shirts before his on court interviews. Maybe not as flamboyantly as Francis, but done nonetheless.

I didn’t see the end of the match live, but from the clips it looked to me that Frances didn’t go OTT celebrating.  In fact the ESPN hosts mentioned that.  I have to say that from what I’ve seen Alcaraz, whom I also like, does a lot more fist pumping  these days.

Anyway congrats to Tiafoe.  Big win for him.

So Chris McEndry twice said that “younger players” beat the top two seeds?

Kyrgios is older than Medvedev.

Edited by roseha
Fixed Carlos’ last name!
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, roseha said:

I have to say that from what I’ve seen Alcaraz, whom I also like, does a lot more fist pumping  these days.

Yeah, I agree he should cut down on the fist pumping, but at least he hasn't run over yet and hugged the ball girl like Tiafoe did.  Actually, I wonder if that's when Tiafoe's coach told him to cut out the hijinks.

One reason I like Sinner is that he's so cool and calm. 

I agree with all the above. I don't dislike Tiafoe but I'm just not at the point where he's in my group of favorites. He's toned down the antics but he still treads a fine line between expressing himself and showboating.

I will say he definitely deserved to get hyped today. This was a big win for him and he played out of his mind.

• Like 1