Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

We'll see how the rest of the match unfolds, but that set point Ruud just won featured some phenomenal tennis from both Ruud and Khachanov.

Also, Christian Ruud is a toooooootal DILF.  But that's neither here nor there.

• Like 1
  • Wink 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Oh so they were saying that match was the GOAT match? Not that Carlos was the GOAT player?

No, they were saying both. That the match was the best ever in history and that Carlos was GOAT with Jannik a close second. It was the MacEnroe brothers that were especially bad.

There were a couple of other tennis writers - Rothenberg and another guy whose name I can't recall - who were tooting it up on twitter too, about it being the best match ever. I didn't read the timeline but from the sounds of it, they didn't get too much agreement on that, especially from the Djokostans who of course can't begin to fathom anyone being as wonderful as their Novak. 🙄

• Like 1

I think all the GOAT talk is premature, but commentators gonna commentate. They've been talking about the Big Three vs everyone else and when the next gen will step up, and now they see a few players who may  keep fans after the inevitable end of FeDalDjok.

So they're hyping Alcaraz as the next big thing, so if he does actually become the next big thing, they can take credit for being right. Of course, they said the same about Tsitsipas, and Shapavalov ( during his breakthrough year pre-pandemic), and a few others. 

But I think Alcaraz has the goods. His shot making has been crazy good this tournament, and his composure in big moments shows an incredible mental toughness. 

• Like 1

Last night's match was incredible, but whose idiot idea was it to make Tiafoe to do an on-court interview? Poor guy was crushed and just wanted to get the hell out of there. I can understand interviewing Serena post-loss because it was her retirement, but I really hope this doesn't become a thing. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 6

I would have bolted so fast that no one would've had a chance if they tried.

I guess I would get fined for violating media duties but whatever.  On the other hand people may have it in them to participate & stay strong.  Though it's easier when you've "been there before" as opposed to trying to reach a spot one might never get to again.

I agree it's not a great thing, BitterApple.  Though I'd disagree when it's part of the actual final.  The semis I suppose would be forgivable, but it should still be optional.  At least until the victim has the chance to recover and press forward

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Yeah, the final is one thing and it's always been done, but I don't think it's necessary for any of the previous rounds. It's just weird to me they had Tiafoe do an on-court interview for a semis loss when it wasn't expected for any of the other players. You could tell Frances was having a tough time keeping his composure, especially when he apologized to the fans and walked away abruptly. It just seemed kind of shitty on ESPN's part, like "Oooh, look, he's about to burst into tears! Let's shove the camera in his face and get a reaction!".

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Yeah, the final is one thing and it's always been done, but I don't think it's necessary for any of the previous rounds. It's just weird to me they had Tiafoe do an on-court interview for a semis loss when it wasn't expected for any of the other players. You could tell Frances was having a tough time keeping his composure, especially when he apologized to the fans and walked away abruptly. It just seemed kind of shitty on ESPN's part, like "Oooh, look, he's about to burst into tears! Let's shove the camera in his face and get a reaction!".

I completely agree.  Someone should have helped him collect his gear and helped him leave.  Poor guy.  He felt he let down the fans including Michelle Obama, who was courtside (must have been somewhat distracting/intimidating).   So many levels of pressure must have been on Tiafoe.  Hopefully, he'll have a long, successful career and get to the point where he can win for himself rather than defend the title in the name of Arthur Ashe, et al.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

I only saw the first set - sometimes all this just gets too nerve-wracking - but I have to wonder if it hurt Frances that he was playing his first night match.  Maybe he would haven't had so many issues with his first serve if he'd gotten more used to the conditions, the lights etc.  However this is total speculation on my part.  I do hope he gets another chance and goes onto win a major someday.

I have to think that Carlos is the favorite tomorrow but I suppose Casper might surprise us.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Today was a good example of why I can't get too into the women's game lately. Very underwhelming match. No fire or excitement from either player. Neither really tried to engage the crowd at all. I like Ons, but my goodness, even when she was in the set, she was a total Eeyore on the court! Congrats to Iga though. 

• Love 1

I'm for Casper all the way and I feel fairly confident that he's going to surprise a lot of people. He's a very good player who hasn't been given the attention or credit due to him.

Also, it's turned into a Rafa Nadal Academy Weekend. Both Boys and Girls Junior slams were won by RNA players so it's only fitting that Casper finish it off in fine style. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Wow, are we going right into the era of Ruud, Alcaraz, and Sinner and skipping right over Tsitsipas, Zverev, and Med? I don't even think Dj could have beaten Carlito today, and I can't wait to see Carlito deny Dj a title! 

• Love 5

Well congrats to Carlos for a well deserved win.   I would have been happy with either winning but perhaps Casper will have his day in the future.  I'm fine with Carlos as a number 1 now and in the future but I do hope that other young and up and coming players will also get to win slams and have that special moment.

Congrats to Iga also though I did hope for Ons to win.  Maybe next year Ons can get that Wimbledon.

• Love 5

So happy for Carlitos, I was at the crazy Alcaraz-Cilic match, and I was really hoping he'd go the distance.

One odd note, when he gave his speech about 9/11 I couldn't help but do the math, he wasn't even born when it happened. That's how young he is. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

So happy for Carlitos, I was at the crazy Alcaraz-Cilic match, and I was really hoping he'd go the distance.

One odd note, when he gave his speech about 9/11 I couldn't help but do the math, he wasn't even born when it happened. That's how young he is. 

I thought the same as he gave his speech. So young! 

Congratulations Carlito! 

• Love 2

Well, we knew the day was nigh. 😥 On his IG today, the great Roger Federer announced that the Laver Cup will be his final ATP event—no more Grand Slam or ATP competitions after that. What a sad day in the Spunky household but at 41, he knows that his body just can’t compete against all this new, exciting talent. He will play in various matches so we will get to watch him occasionally. He may not be the GOAT as far as number of GS wins, but he will always be my favorite and I will miss the excitement I felt as one of his matches was about to start. ❤️😢

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 13

HOW has time gathered everyone up except for Tom Stupid Brady?!?

When Roger first started I hated him and his ponytail.  Now I adore him, and am so sad that he has to (for the most part) hang up his tennies.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

When Roger first started I hated him and his ponytail.  Now I adore him, and am so sad that he has to (for the most part) hang up his tennies.

I never hated him and the evil part of me actually loved every time he denied Andy Roddick another Slam, because yeah Roddick bugged me back then. But that said, I was never a Roger stan by any means. 

But I've always had great respect for him as player and I loved watching him on court. So definitely an end of an era. But good for him for recognizing that it's time and walking away quietly and with grace. That was a very nice speech. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

I fully expected this day to come pretty soon but I'm tearing up at that speech of Roger's.  However I think he is handling this perfectly.  I've wondered in the past if he would want to avoid having a farewell tour and I either read or speculated (can't remember which) that during his time working with Edberg Stefan might have advised him to avoid going that route.

I am happy that I did see Roger in person at the 2008 US Open twice over Labor Day weekend.  Somewhere here I've got a photo I took, I'll see if I can post it later.

• Love 6

Is it weird that I'm relieved he's retiring? I've been so worried that he would do permanent damage to his body by trying to fight all those injuries he had the last few years.

Good luck with whatever your next venture will be and thanks for the memories. 

• Love 4

First Serena, and now Roger.  No surprise for either except just that feeling for a minute as it became official. 

For me it had become more apparent that Father Time would get to Williams.  Not so much with Federer; I figured that he was closer to competing at a championship level, or for another title.  That was in terms of physical stuff.  Not that much.  Maybe the Tiger Woods route where the schedule was limited.

For me (again), it felt like the above for Serena, plus better competition, whereas you're seeing some rising stars on the men's side, but for Federer when you have two people running toward 25 in Rafa & Novak with or without competition, it's best to get out and enjoy the aftermath of an awesome career.

I'll miss Roger (and Serena of course, don't think I mentioned that).  The ability to close the eyes and think back to the past couple of decades is great.  End of an era; thank you.

Edited by Carey
Not & now are the same
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Does anyone know if they're going to replay the match?  They repeated Matches 1 & 2 but I didn't add enough padding for that extremely long match. 

I'm in Calgary (Mountain time) & they replayed the doubles game starting at about 3:00 p.m., but don't hold me to it because I just happened to lock onto it while I was making dinner.  Sorry I can't be more specific.

So Roger, as expected, has now been replaced by Matteo Berretini. The surprise though is that during the presser that Rafa and Roger had after the match and all the hoopla (a very sentimental, thoughtful, intelligent, sensitive presser) Rafa announced that he was withdrawing and wouldn't play any more matches. He's not sure if he'll stick around for the last couple of days and has to go back to the hotel and settle down from all the deep emotions of the evening and make a decision. Cameron Norrie will fill in for him.

It sounds like this pregnancy is a very difficult one although he stressed that everything was fine. Rafa said that he's been very stressed from worrying so much about Mery and hasn't slept for weeks and these are all new emotions he's going through, so he's just in no shape to play any tennis at the moment. I hope that baby comes soon and is hale and healthy so Mery and Rafa can quit worrying. 🥰

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, shok said:

So Roger, as expected, has now been replaced by Matteo Berretini. The surprise though is that during the presser that Rafa and Roger had after the match and all the hoopla (a very sentimental, thoughtful, intelligent, sensitive presser) Rafa announced that he was withdrawing and wouldn't play any more matches. He's not sure if he'll stick around for the last couple of days and has to go back to the hotel and settle down from all the deep emotions of the evening and make a decision. Cameron Norrie will fill in for him.

It sounds like this pregnancy is a very difficult one although he stressed that everything was fine. Rafa said that he's been very stressed from worrying so much about Mery and hasn't slept for weeks and these are all new emotions he's going through, so he's just in no shape to play any tennis at the moment. I hope that baby comes soon and is hale and healthy so Mery and Rafa can quit worrying. 🥰

I was worried about Rafa during that match.  He looked more sluggish than I can ever remember him looking.  I’m glad he’s withdrawn.  I hope he and his wife can relax a bit more soon and that the rest of the pregnancy isn’t so fraught for them.

As a huge Roger fan, it’s actually been easier for me that he hasn’t been playing the last couple of years and has sort of gently faded from my sports-watching consciousness.  However, facing the actual retirement with him there in front of me was much more upsetting than I was expecting.  It feels like a true life loss of a benevolent, very human and grounded, exemplar of beauty and hope.  I couldn’t watch a lot of it, as lovely as it sounded.

• Love 7

Whew, that was a tear-jerker. What an truly amazing guy. Is there anyone who doesn't love him?! Even Stephanos cried! Roger seems very close to Novak. Do I need to give Novak another chance?! Argh, only Roger could make me question that!!!

The only thing that upset me was it appears Tennis channel showed Roger's last match twice in repeat instead of showing the semi-finals for France, Korea and Japan ~~and I am sure Roger would not approve! 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I don't necessarily think Roger embracing Djoker meant that much because Roger was tearfully hugging all the men.  I think he's gracious enough that he would have hugged Kyrgios had he been there.  

So no, Djoker gets no points from me.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Rafa's comments in the post-match presser puts his emotional reaction in greater perspective. Because I'll admit that while I expected him to be sad and slightly emotional, I was a bit taken aback at HOW emotional he was. The man's never even been that emotional over any of his major wins or significant losses. He was almost inconsolable at one point.

So learning about all he's apparently going through emotionally off the court, it definitely puts his reaction into perspective. My guess is it was a case of a lot of shit he was already holding inside, coupled with the emotion of the moment that led to the flood works just opening up. 

• Sad 4
  • Love 2