Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

So Alcaraz lost?  If so, I'm not surprised after all he's been through this year.

He lost because he didn't have his coach there to tell him where to hit every serve and what shots to hit during the match. This on-court coaching is going to have an effect on the tennis results and standings.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Mery and baby Rafael went home from the hospital today. Yay!!! I felt bad though as apparently because of all the photographers he had to drive by himself with only a bunch of flowers they had received in the back seat while Mery and baby slipped out of a different entrance and were driven from a different gate.Taking your first baby home from the hospital should be a joyous occurrence that both of them could have enjoyed.

It will be interesting to see how Rafa handles the new responsibilities. I know he has said a new baby won't make any difference to his professional life but I think he's going to be surprised at how much a new baby turns his life upside down, both professionally and personally. 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Speaking of babies, seems there were a lot of tennis couples getting pregnant at the same time. Elena Svitolina gave birth yesterday.

And I don't know if I was the only one, but I didn't even know Medvedev's wife was pregnant but she too apparently gave birth yesterday. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 10

I had seen a reference on Reddit during the USO that the Spanish commentary had said that Meddy's wife Daria was pregnant and that was why she wasn't at his matches but didn't know if that was just speculation.  Congrats to all the new parents and so glad all is well with mothers and children.

• Love 4

Was really rooting for Vekic against Iga. What a comeback from her, and her win over Collins in the San Diego semis was pretty epic.

Glad to see Thiem back in a semi-final, even if he lost. He (nor Korda in the final) were going to be any match for Rublev. 

Dang, Stephanos was so close to beating Dj, but I think Rune might actually get him tomorrow. He is on fire lately. I did not see his match against Alcaraz, does anyone know why he had to retire? 

Good for Rune! Although I can see him developing some arrogance issues. 😁 He's gonna have to improve his stamina for sure if he wants to win a major.

The announcers mentioned that Halep was suspended due to a positive drug test. I had even heard about it! 

I've seen Rune have outbursts on the court, and Warwrinka told him to stop acting like a baby.  He's young, so I'll see how/if he matures, but for now he's not one of my favorite young players.  I didn't watch the match because I didn't want to see Rune or Djoker. 

Edited by Crashcourse
Just wanted to clarify
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I've never really paid much attention to it in the past but I've just started watching the Next Gen Finals.  What a wacked scoring system - best of 5 sets but best of 4 games per set, and no-ad scoring.  So when a player is serving for the match and has 40 love it's "Four match points!" since he can win from deuce - I mean 40 all.  I mean...

Anyway I was watching to see my favorite young player, Lorenzo Musetti, he of the beautiful game.  He's improved so much this year, winning two tournaments in the last four months and defeating Alcaraz and Berrettini in the finals.      I really hope things can continue to go upward for him next year.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 11/8/2022 at 9:22 PM, roseha said:

I've never really paid much attention to it in the past but I've just started watching the Next Gen Finals.  What a wacked scoring system - best of 5 sets but best of 4 games per set, and no-ad scoring.  So when a player is serving for the match and has 40 love it's "Four match points!" since he can win from deuce - I mean 40 all.  I mean...

Yeah the scoring for the Next Gen tournament is all out of wack. Not really sure what the rationale is behind it. I guess if I cared enough, I'm sure I can find some explanation about it online somewhere. 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:11 AM, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah the scoring for the Next Gen tournament is all out of wack. Not really sure what the rationale is behind it. I guess if I cared enough, I'm sure I can find some explanation about it online somewhere. 

The rationale is that young people have a very short attention span nowadays so they're trying to speed up a tennis match to get more young people interested. 🙄 The Australian tennis people were/are great proponents of these shorter matches and used to have lots of exhibition tournaments. I remember watching Rafa play in several of them but with covid reducing all tennis matches, short or long, they haven't had any for awhile. I do remember hating what I saw though. It wasn't real tennis.

• Like 3

Rafa and Casper also played a doubles exhibition set with Gaby Sabatini and Gisela Dulko. I saw a video of 5 minutes worth of highlights but I can't find it now to post it for you 😪 which is too bad as it was really fun and entertaining to watch. I can however show you a picture of Rafa and Gaby, and Pico who of course was there and participated in handing out flowers and the plates at the end (so was David Nalbandian). My gracious Gaby looks good. She's 52 years old!!! 😲

FiSbQMhWAAE9bOu?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Love 4

The boys look so happy before their match in Mexico City tonight. Don't know if it's because it's their last stop and they can finally go home after this or if they're just having such a great time. Casper says being with Rafa has been like being a rockstar. Even though he's #3 in the world, he's never experienced the mobs that Rafa draws and he's having the time of his life.

They've sure been busy with interviews and tv appearances and red carpets and banquets and kids clinics and meeting assorted bigwigs including a president and they've drawn huge crowds everywhere they go. Tonight in Mexico it was some 40,000 people and on Tuesday in Colombia was 30,000. I should track down pictures of all the gorgeous national hats they've gotten on their stops. Tonight was an incredibly beautiful black sombrero with silver trim.

But they're done. And now Rafa can get back home to his baby where he belongs.

• Love 1

Ok, found the black sombrero from Mexico. (Edited in a different picture of the sombreros so you can see how beautifully decorated the whole hat is.)

From Quito, Ecuador, panama hats handwoven from special Ecuadorian straw.

They got two or three more hats from other countries too but I'm too lazy to dig through the piles and piles of pictures. Rafa's going to need another room in his museum to display the haul of loot he got from this tour. 😛

image.png

Edited by shok
Hmm. Won't let me delete the first sombrero picture I posted. Oh well. They're so beautiful it doesn't hurt to look at two pictures. :)
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Yay!!!  Rafa finally won the ATP Fan Favorite award. It was always a toss-up who was the fan favorite, Rafa or Roger, but Roger's fans were always so organized about block voting for Roger in any kind of contest whereas Rafa always had more social media fans. But now that Rogie has retired, after 19 years, it's Rafa's turn.

Rafa's got the full gamut of ATP awards now - newcomer, comeback player, year end #1, humanitarian, most sportsmanlike, and now finally fan favorite. 🤩

=======

It's not nice of me to mock Djokovic and his fans but whoo boy, are they salty! It was bad enough when he again didn't even get nominated for the Edberg award but to have Rafa proclaimed fan favorite is just too much for some of them.  😆

• Love 3

Why would the producers put such an awful picture of such an ugly person on the face of their publicity trailer???  I've read that Kyrgios is going to be one of the featured performers through the whole film too. 🥴

I also read somewhere that there is only going to be incidental mention of the Top 3 in this film. Fed, Rafa and Djerk are apparently mostly ignored. It will be interesting to find out if the sports world has any interest in the cocky buggers like Tsitsipas or Zverev or if it's actually Rafa and Roger and their compatriots that have actually carried the sport for these last twenty years. I'd put my money on the old farts.

• Like 3
On 12/18/2022 at 5:20 AM, shok said:

I also read somewhere that there is only going to be incidental mention of the Top 3 in this film

My guess is that Netflix would have loved to have the Big Thee involved, they just declined to participate. Same thing with Serena Williams. I doubt we see much of her because she has a production deal with Amazon so I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't participated as well. That leaves production with just match and press conference footage for them which is not the kind of television the producers are shooting for.

• Like 1

Yes I saw a list of the players featured and while I like some of them it's not enough to get me to re-subscribe to Netflix.  I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of coverage of Kyrgios and closeups of Fritz's girlfriend.

• Like 2

To probably no one's surprise, Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the Aussie Open.  Seems to be yet another mental health break.  She doesn't seem to enjoy playing anymore, I would not at all be surprised if she retires for good very soon.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/35403347/naomi-osaka-australian-open-replaced-dayana-yastremska

Disappointed that Venus has withdrawn with an injury.  I know she probably wouldn't have advanced far, if she even got out of the first round, but it still would have been nice to have seen her play.

Article also mentions that Simona Halep is "not playing this year"... but I thought that was because she is currently on drug suspension.  I remember she said she was innocent and said she was going to fight it, did anything become of that?

So disappointed about Naomi.  She was so damn exciting.

And how did I manage to miss the fact that Alcaraz won’t be playing?  Who the F is going to beat Djerkovic now?  I was counting on Carlitos.

• Like 1

I think Carlos pushed himself way too hard last year and I think he and his team realized this when he had to miss the ATP Finals, which is why he announced early that he would only play one warm-up tournament pre-Australian Open. And that still didn't help, since apparently he got injured in practice. It's disappointing sure, but he's young.

Hopefully this indicates to him and his team to better manage his schedule. Chasing #1 is all well and good but pointless if your body breaks down in the process. And Carlos, much like Rafa when he was younger, has a very, "chase everything down like your life depends on it" playing style. Yeah that kind of aggressive play will eventually catch up to you. 

As for Naomi, at this point it's obvious she's lost all joy for the sport. So frankly, it is best that she just steps back. Because until she recaptures that joy and passion then she'll continue to be a disaster on the court anyway. 

And finally yes, it's very likely that Djokovic will win another Australian Open and I will care as much as I have the others - which is not at all. Frankly, I'm just hoping for Rafa to not lose in the first round. Seriously this is how low my bar is right now - let's just win a round or two, lol. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, woodstock said:

Naomi is pregnant

That solves the mystery of why she withdrew from the AO.

She says she will be back on tour for the 2024 Australian Open.  Anyone want to take bets on whether that will happen?  She barely wanted to play as it is, I find it hard to believe she will want to continue playing after having a child.

Most players will delay having children until they are thinking of retirement.  I think the most notable exception is Margaret Court, I believe she was actually pregnant for one of her Slam wins and then won three more after coming back.  Kim Clijsters also won three Slams after becoming a mother, but she had already retired once to have children and then made a successful comeback.

The most notable mothers on tour recently have been Serena and Victoria Azarenka, and both struggled to regain their form and did not / haven't had the same level of success.

So my thinking is that this is the last we have seen of Naomi.  Too bad.  At her peak, she was electric.  She's only 25, but it is very evident that her heart is not in tennis. 

Not sure anyone else saw this, but Ash Barty is also pregnant.  Congrats to Ash, who seems to be totally happy in her retirement, and also congrats to Naomi. 

As far as the AO goes, it does look like a foregone conclusion for Djokovic, to which I can only say that I have to be grateful that the finals will start at 3:30 AM my time, and I won't have any need to watch it live :)

• Like 4
19 hours ago, roseha said:

As far as the AO goes, it does look like a foregone conclusion for Djokovic,

Yeah and that head scratching draw certainly doesn't help dispel that assumption. I'm cracking up that his stans who live to always position him in perpetual victimhood are STILL trying to make some case that his draw is the hardest and Rafa is the one with an easy draw.

Rafa who is playing Jack Draper in the first round, a guy who had a breakthrough season last year, rising from the 200s to Top 50 in the rankings. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 5