Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

I really enjoyed watching Coric play last week.  I forgot how good he was*.  And his improvement on the serve was amazing, especially for someone who had shoulder surgery.  I hope he can contend regularly at majors.  It would be nice to have someone from his generation for whom to root.  (I don’t know if he’s a good guy, but hopefully he's better than Zverev, Tsitsipas and Medvedev.  Actually, I enjoy Medvedev’s spectacular game and am often amused by his moody, Safin-esque personality, but he’s also a sourpuss tanker, so YMMV.)

*Also hot.

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

I really enjoyed watching Coric play last week.  I forgot how good he was*.  And his improvement on the serve was amazing, especially for someone who had shoulder surgery.  I hope he can contend regularly at majors.  It would be nice to have someone from his generation for whom to root.  (I don’t know if he’s a good guy, but hopefully he's better than Zverev, Tsitsipas and Medvedev.  Actually, I enjoy Medvedev’s spectacular game and am often amused by his moody, Safin-esque personality, but he’s also a sourpuss tanker, so YMMV.)

I was shocked at how easily Coric beat Tsitsipas, who was having a strong tournament. The top game for me though was Norrie/Alcaraz. Just some wildly entertaining points in that one

I will always have a soft spot for Medvedev, because I found his OTT villain routine at the 2019 US Open hilarious, then he wins the crowd back over in the final against Rafa. "I will sleep well because of your tears!"   

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

No one here is going to lose sleep over the JOKE conceding defeat here.  Some may cite hypocrisy when it comes to these rulings (for example, easing the rules for Major League Baseball and the NBA done around the postseason & at the same time).  Then you have the NFL moving toward a pre-pandemic ruling as it relates to COVID.

I think things should not be as strict as they were 2 years ago.  I feel we're in a better place & spot now as opposed to then.

That being said, whether Novak is hated or loved, I have to agree with it.  It's one thing to enter the US.  If you're not vaccinated (in addition to not being from America or a citizen) then those on Djokovic's side can while all they want.  No sense in relaxing the rules for the unvaccinated.  If they are already on US soil that may be different, but in conclusion, it's likely apples & oranges between the other sports.

Finally, as mentioned, TPTB have the right to control the conditions of its workplace.  Or organization.  The thing is an accomplished star is missing & that's a hit to the US Open.  On the other hand, life is not fair & you have to protect everyone else that did what was recommended

• Love 2

Jay Hart over at Yahoo! Sports wrote an article last week bemoaning the fact that Djoker was going to miss the US Open because the vaccination protocols were too draconian and stating how unfair this was to Djoker in the race for the GOAT title.  It was all I could do not to email him privately and tell to shove it because he has it completely backwards: Djoker made the choice, knowing full well what the vaccine requirements were for both the Australian Open and the US Open, NOT to get vaccinated.  He does not get to have his cake and eat it, too, and Hart and the rest of Djoker's fan base can have a million seats about it.  This is the direct result of his own actions, and at least he's not engaging in some appalling chicanery this time around to try to weasel his way into the Open.

Also, I don't care if Djoker ends up with 57 GS titles, he'll never be the GOAT over Roger and Rafa.

• Like 1
  • Applause 12
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

This is the direct result of his own actions, and at least he's not engaging in some appalling chicanery this time around to try to weasel his way into the Open.

Nah, after the shit show that was his trip to Australia, I don't think even he is arrogant enough to try that again. But more than that, it didn't happen because the USTA, unlike Tennis Australia, was clearly not about to cause mayhem to their tournament just so Djokovic can play. 

The delusion of Novak's stans on social media will continue to amuse me. My favorite is the never-ending declaration of how much they will not be watching. Cool, I'm sure the USTA will be devasted and the Open will fall apart without their measly viewership. Like give me a break. It's that same delusion that gives Djokovic his equally annoying sense of entitlement - that he's SO IMPORTANT to the sport. 

Spare me. The Open has survived Roger and Rafa both not playing since 2019. It will be just fine with Djokovic not being present this year. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

I'm also not going to lose sleep over Novak Djokovic missing the U.S. Open. We can quibble about whether or not the vaccination rules are fair or not, but the rules are what they are. Novak knows full well what they are and, since it's a privilege not a right to enter any country (except his own, which he has a right to enter), it's on him if he doesn't want to follow the rules.

I mean, would Novak and his fans feel he's being unfairly treated if he was denied entry for a tournament in Brazzaville because he doesn't have the yellow fever vaccine? That's the rule to enter the Congo (both countries known as "Congo", actually) whether he likes it or not. As I see it, the situation at the U.S. Open is no different, so I don't feel sorry for him at all.

P.S. I don't actually know if Novak Djokovic isn't vaccinated against yellow fever. I was just creating an example.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

This annoyed me almost as much as the constant whinging of the Djerk fans.

How the hell did Kyrgios get involved in a function called A Conversation With Champions???? What the hell was he ever a champion of????

dl-beatsnoop-com-l-CW3-NYw-FP2.jpg

• Mind Blown 2

lol, that image makes me think of that nursery rhyme, "one of those things is not like the other." It's obvious that in the last months, the tennis media and organizations have bought into the Kyrgios stans' delusion that "he's so exciting for the game" and are really hyping him up.

His R1 match against Kokinakkis has even been given the primetime Day 1 night session on Ashe. Of course, we're supposed to all ignore that all this hyping is being done while he currently has accusations of assault against him. Whatever, I personally will continue to do what I've been doing for the better part of two years and that's treat Kyrgios as a complete non-factor. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

I have loved going to the Citi Open in DC, but I didn't go this year or last year and I'm kind of glad I missed it because of all the hype about Kyrgios.  It pisses me off that he's won here these last two years.  I want Tiafoe (or anyone else) to beat his ass next year.  

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

How far do people think Serena Williams will get at the US Open?  Quarters?  Round of 16?  The whole title?

I think a lot will depend on just how much she can improve her conditioning and movement in the ten days or so since she lost to Raducanu in Cincinnati.  I don’t know how much is feasible.  I have the same thoughts about Naomi.  And obviously motivation is a factor for both ladies.  Fingers crossed (especially for Naomi, at least as far as I’m concerned.)

• Like 1

Wow, Simona out!

I would not be surprised if Serena lost any given match, being that she is not fully prepared. I wouldn't mind if she went out early. I'm not a big fan and there will be too much hoopla around all of her matches as long as she is in. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Wow, Simona out!

I would not be surprised if Serena lost any given match, being that she is not fully prepared. I wouldn't mind if she went out early. I'm not a big fan and there will be too much hoopla around all of her matches as long as she is in. 

I'm really rooting for her. I can feel the excitement in the air right now. Fingers crossed that she makes it happen. It would be so cool if she was a surprise upset to make it to the quarter finals or something. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Holy moly, what is happening! Qualifiers are kickin' ass today! So bummed for Taylor. Not as bummed for Tsitsipas, but still, crazy.

Emma probably inspired them all to be like, “well if she can do it, why not us.” It is shocking to see the #10 and #4 men seeds lose back to back, like that, and n such convincing fashion.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3

Very sad to see Venus Williams go out in the first round.  I don't think she has officially said anything about retirement, she probably didn't want to take anything away from Serena's announcement.  But I'm thinking she is probably going to retire too.  She's 42.  She got blown out in the first set.  She had more fire in the second and brought it to a tiebreak but still ended up losing.  If this is it for her as well, I will greatly miss her.  Too bad, I was hoping to see a Venus Twirl at least one more time.

I'm sure she probably doesn't mind, but I've often wondered what it must have been like to be her.  If the King Richard movie was accurate, she was the phenom with talent, Serena didn't have it, and that supposedly motivated Serena to get better.  Venus broke on the scene first with the beads in her hair as a 17 year old in Flushing Meadows.  Had great success.  Then despite winning 7 Grand Slam titles, she got quickly overshadowed by her sister.  Then the fatigue syndrome, and she's never really been the same.  I wish her well.

I'm also sad to see Dominic Thiem and Kyle Edmund both go out in the first round.  It took them so long to come back from injury, and then they were both dispatched so easily.

However, I am quite pleased to see that Simona Halep, Coco Vandeweghe, and Tsitsipas were all first round losers as well.  I wasn't able to see Tsitsipas' match... did he have any  extended bathroom breaks when he was getting stomped on in the first two sets?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

However, I am quite pleased to see that Simona Halep, Coco Vandeweghe, and Tsitsipas were all first round losers as well.  I wasn't able to see Tsitsipas' match... did he have any  extended bathroom breaks when he was getting stomped on in the first two sets?

I'm happy to see Coco V. shown the door. Amazingly, no bathroom break for Steph. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 8/29/2022 at 2:00 PM, KittenPokerCheater said:

How far do people think Serena Williams will get at the US Open?  Quarters?  Round of 16?  The whole title?

Tonight will be tough. Serena's first round opponent was overwhelmed by the fanfare and kept hitting everything straight up the middle. The #2 seed will utilize better strategy and run her more. Serena is mentally tough though and still has the big serve and return, so anything is possible. 

I was bummed Osaka lost. She has so much talent but can't seem to manage the physical and mental variables of pro tennis as well as she needs to. I think tennis is a sport where you really can't take long breaks or play an inconsistent schedule and have good results. 

• Love 4

Danielle Collins seems to have some momentum after a win over Naomi Osaka.  Last night in her post-match interview was the first time that I've kind of liked Collins.  Maybe it's because she seems less uptight   She has always looked to me like a lady who dropped in for a round of tennis at the country club.  

As time goes by, I have to wonder whether Naomi Osaka will be able to regain her competitive form.  She's still got tons of talent, but it looks like her heart is not in the sport anymore.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I was bummed Osaka lost. She has so much talent but can't seem to manage the physical and mental variables of pro tennis as well as she needs to. I think tennis is a sport where you really can't take long breaks or play an inconsistent schedule and have good results. 

1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

As time goes by, I have to wonder whether Naomi Osaka will be able to regain her competitive form.  She's still got tons of talent, but it looks like her heart is not in the sport anymore.

When Osaka had the 3-0 lead to open the match, I was thinking that this was the old, dominant Osaka.  Then she lost the next three games and I figured she was going to have a tough time.  When she lost the first set in a tiebreak, I knew she was done.

I would not at all be surprised if she goes on yet another one of her mental health breaks.  I get that she is under a lot of pressure, from herself, her fans and the media, but it just doesn't seem like a professional athlete who has been at the top should be having a freak out and decide she needs a break from tennis, every single time she loses.

It seems to me that she wants to be a fashion guru.  If she's not having fun playing tennis anymore, she should think about what is really important to her.  She has already won four Grand Slams, she really doesn't have anything to prove to anyone anymore.

She needs to ask herself if she really loves the game itself, or if it's the winning that she loves, and if she is having a hard time because she isn't winning.  It struck me yesterday that there's plenty of players who will never even come close to winning a Grand Slam title.  They are the players who are good enough to consistently qualify to play, but never make a splash.  They usually exit in the first round, or maybe the second if they get lucky.  They make a decent living, much more than the average person on the street.  For playing a sport that they love.  They know that they will likely never get to the top, and they never seem to complain about how they are having mental health issues accepting that.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

The shots and the serve are still there for Osaka, but she was inconsistent and lacked fire and strategy. I have to concur with others who wonder if she really wants to be there. Maybe it is not good for her to get into that competitive head space too much. If not, she needs to do what is best for her in the long run. 

It's hard for me to like Collins. She is so fast, loud, and aggressively postured on the court. It doesn't help that she has resting bitch face and, like Kyrgios, gets petulant if her team doesn't cheer loudly enough for her. I have resting bitch face too, though, so I am trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.  

• Like 4
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

The shots and the serve are still there for Osaka, but she was inconsistent and lacked fire and strategy. I have to concur with others who wonder if she really wants to be there. Maybe it is not good for her to get into that competitive head space too much. If not, she needs to do what is best for her in the long run. 

It's hard for me to like Collins. She is so fast, loud, and aggressively postured on the court. It doesn't help that she has resting bitch face and, like Kyrgios, gets petulant if her team doesn't cheer loudly enough for her. I have resting bitch face too, though, so I am trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.  

Same, I don't think I will ever find myself rooting for her.  She has this kind of arrogance that to me it doesn't matter how good she is, it is unappealing.  I really wanted Osaka to win not just so Naomi could gain some confidence, but also because I really wanted Collins to lose so my Triumvirate of Nasty (Kenin, Collins, Vandeweghe) would all have lost in the first round.  Oh well, at least two are gone.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

It doesn't help that she has resting bitch face and, like Kyrgios, gets petulant if her team doesn't cheer loudly enough for her.

Thanks for this, I finally realized why Collins turns me off.  It bugs me every time she's on.  Maybe if she wins, she'll dial it down a notch.  She does have a lot of talent. 

It's crazy how many good women there are who have never won a singles major.  Besides Collins, there is Sakkari, Sabalenka, Rogers, and Pegula.  I would love to see one of these players break through.

Serena Williams is the greatest tennis player of all time. Even if she doesn't win the US Open, tonight, she showed why she's a legend. Also, she's fucking right that she has nothing to prove. May this match go down in tennis history. I'm just thankful to be here to witness it.

• Applause 2
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Serena Williams is the greatest tennis player of all time. Even if she doesn't win the US Open, tonight, she showed why she's a legend. Also, she's fucking right that she has nothing to prove. May this match go down in tennis history. I'm just thankful to be here to witness it.

I’m not a tennis person, but tuned in last night due to the significance.  My best friends are super fans and one of them usually attends.  It was quite intense and I was really unsure how it would end up.  I suppose others were more confident than me.  

• Love 1

I haven't followed Kontaveit too closely, but watching last night, I realized she's basically a more athletic version of Maria Sharapova. She can hit the crap out of the ball, but her game is one-dimensional and the lack of spin off her groundstrokes will always make her prone to errors.

I think Serena picked up on this immediately (along with prior scouting, I'm sure). Even when she had moments of nerves or her level dropped off, she never seemed panicked. Her expression was laser focused, like she knew if she just weathered the storm, she'd eventually come out on top. I also think that despite not being in tip-top shape, the longer rallies favored Serena. Annett hits the ball so flat, one's eventually sailing into the backdrop. 

If Serena keeps returning the way she did last night, I can see her making a deeper run than anyone predicted. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I'm delighted about Serena's run, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if she won the whole darn thing (although I'd love for Coco Gauff to win if Serena doesn't).

However, I'm getting tired of the Serena Show and I place the blame not on her, but on the media.  It's too much, and there are other players playing their asses off. 

Vamos, Rafa! 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I'm delighted about Serena's run, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if she won the whole darn thing (although I'd love for Coco Gauff to win if Serena doesn't).

However, I'm getting tired of the Serena Show and I place the blame not on her, but on the media.  It's too much, and there are other players playing their asses off. 

Vamos, Rafa! 

Preach!  I only want to watch ESPN coverage if I can fast forward through all the Serena uptalk all the time.  That includes the US OPen video packages as well.  This morning's coverage I FF for about 25-30 minutes before they showed tennis.  I say this as someone who would be happy to see Serena win this, but give it a rest. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Vamos, Rafa! 

Ditto!!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Vamos, Rafa! 

I definitely understand the feelings here and agree that there's been some overkill with the coverage. That being said, I'm mostly okay with the hype. The only thing that gives me pause is I hope the hype isn't too overwhelming for Serena (and her family). Ideally she and her team are able to tune everything out and just focus on making her last run as memorable (and hopefully as fun) as it can be. 

I think I'd feel bad if they just treated this like any other US Open and gave her equal coverage with everyone else. If this really is her last run then I want her fans and casual fans of the sport (many who are tuning in just to see her) to see this incredible athlete being celebrated. 

GOAT is too easily thrown around these days and people are always looking for the next one but to me, Serena is one of the few who genuinely deserves the label and I feel like she really is peerless when it comes to the women. People can have long debates about the Big Three but with the women is there really any debate on who's the GOAT? Sure, there are other women who are accomplished and memorable and worth talking about, but Serena is that kind of once in a lifetime talent. 

• Love 4

I do think there is a bit of media overload about Serena, but can you blame them?  She is arguably the greatest champion of all time in women's tennis, there will be a huge void when she retires.  Every upcoming match could be her last.

I didn't know about Sam Querrey, for some reason I thought he had retired several years ago.  Given the chance to cover a story about Serena or a story about Sam Querrey, it seems obvious where the media would choose to focus.

I did not get to see the Azarenka/Kostyuk match but I was curious about whether they would shake hands at the end of the match, given Kostyuk has been outspoken about Azarenka's silence regarding Ukraine, and Azarenka's removal from the "Play for Ukraine" benefit prior to the start of the US Open.

Not surprisingly, Kostyuk refused to shake hands:  https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/34502620/ukraine-marta-kostyuk-refuses-shake-hands-victoria-azarenka-silence-regarding-war

I am a big Vika fan, so I am torn.  On the one hand, she is an individual who just wants to play tennis.  On the other hand, she does seem to have some ties to the Belarussian president.  But I'm not sure if she has an obligation to be a spokesperson.  This isn't like the Olympics where the competitors are representing their countries.  In tennis, except for Davis or BJK Cup, countries don't seem mean as much as in the Olympics, the players are just people who happen to be from there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Avaleigh said:

I think I'd feel bad if they just treated this like any other US Open and gave her equal coverage with everyone else. If this really is her last run then I want her fans and casual fans of the sport (many who are tuning in just to see her) to see this incredible athlete being celebrated. 

I definitely don't think she should have had equal coverage with the rest of the players.  I just think it's too much and over the top.  I'm not sure she even wants all this stuff.

I'll feel the same way when Nadal and Fed go out.  Just don't overdo it.

53 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I didn't know about Sam Querrey, for some reason I thought he had retired several years ago.  Given the chance to cover a story about Serena or a story about Sam Querrey, it seems obvious where the media would choose to focus.

I wouldn't expect him to have as much coverage as Serena, but from what I saw and heard, there was barely a mention of his retirement.  

• Love 2

I understand Serena is going to have huge fanfare during her last tournament. It's becoming overkill, but it's not unexpected. What I do take issue with is the US Open doing what they did tonight by playing a Williams sisters hype video before they walked on the court. Even Pam Shriver noted the opponents had to watch it and probably felt intimidated. Personally I think that any tribute reels should be saved for after the match. It isn't fair to the other players. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I understand Serena is going to have huge fanfare during her last tournament. It's becoming overkill, but it's not unexpected. What I do take issue with is the US Open doing what they did tonight by playing a Williams sisters hype video before they walked on the court. Even Pam Shriver noted the opponents had to watch it and probably felt intimidated. Personally I think that any tribute reels should be saved for after the match. It isn't fair to the other players. 

This is a totally fair criticism.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I'll feel the same way when Nadal and Fed go out.  Just don't overdo it.

This so much. Listen, I love Rafa and some years back, I made a comment about being over the millionth package about the Big 3 and their dominance. Like no one's challenging either of these guys' talent and what they've accomplished on a tennis court. But we didn't need never ending packages about it, all the damn time. 

I don't mind all the hype, buzz and celebratory packages during her matches. But come on, it's too much when even during the day session coverage, sometimes on the days she's not even playing, we're still getting Serena and more Serena and let's talk about Serena some more. It's too much. 

22 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I wouldn't expect him to have as much coverage as Serena, but from what I saw and heard, there was barely a mention of his retirement.  

I only knew about it because I follow the ATP's official IG and Twitter accounts and they made a post about it. 

22 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Not to mention that I think all the fanfare is inadvertently causing the crowd to be more hostile than normal towards the opponents who have every right to want to win. Seeing Kontaveit basically walking out of her post-match press in tears, when asked about the hostile crowd environment was heartbreaking. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 5
  • Love 4

ESPN is doing another Serena tongue bath conversation instead of covering live tennis, big matches.  She is not on court for another 6 hours. I've switched to ESPN Deportes and they are actually showing tennis.

• Like 3

James Blake has improved so much as an announcer/commentator.  He used to be just ingratiatingly bland, but now he has so much more of interest to say.  Perhaps being the Man in Charge of the Miami tournament has given him confidence.  Whatever the reason, it’s a welcome change.

(He’s also improved his voice a lot; IIRC he used to have a bad case of vocal fry.)

Way to go, James!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

James Blake has improved so much as an announcer/commentator.  He used to be just ingratiatingly bland, but now he has so much more of interest to say.  Perhaps being the Man in Charge of the Miami tournament has given him confidence.  Whatever the reason, it’s a welcome change.

(He’s also improved his voice a lot; IIRC he used to have a bad case of vocal fry.)

Way to go, James!

Interesting you should mention the vocal fry, because that was what annoyed me about him.   I do think he's improved, but there's still a bit of that "tension" in his voice.  I don't know how else to explain it, but at least I can take him in larger doses now.  

44 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Random observation: why are the ball kids/people dressed like they’re wearing the South African flag?  (I know it’s not exact, but that’s what I see every time.)

I noticed that, too, so I looked them up and they're Ralph Lauren Polo shirts.  They do resemble the South African flag.  

Before the Gauff/Keys match that's on now, they did yet another hype video of Serena. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1