Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

I caught a few minutes of Rafa-Taylor (gosh, there are a lot of great looking guys on the tennis tour!), and the commentators made a mention of Rafa possibly being injured.  I have to go back to work but can any of you explain what’s going on with Rafa?

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

I caught a few minutes of Rafa-Taylor (gosh, there are a lot of great looking guys on the tennis tour!), and the commentators made a mention of Rafa possibly being injured.  I have to go back to work but can any of you explain what’s going on with Rafa?

He went to the locker room before the 5th set, but the announcers haven't said why. 

• Like 1

Vamos, Rafa!

Although I was equally pulling for Taylor. It's hard to watch when you like both players.

Which will NOT be the case for the semis. Why couldn't it have been Joker vs The Unhinged One? Although he is not gonna get the love he craves from a crowd that will be solidly behind their countryman. 

Rafa is one of the most fit players on the tour so I have hope that he can send the UHO packing. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Rafa did not sound too convinced he would be in match shape for the semis. Abdominal strain, it sounds like. Taylor did so well. And at least now he knows what it takes to be a grand slam champion. Rafa has it; Taylor not yet. 

Well, the good news is, the crowd will not be for Dj under any scenario. The crowd will want Norrie, Rafa or (sadly) Kyrgios to win over Novak! 

Speaking of Kyrgios, I appreciated Darrin Cahill talking about feeling unwell and being diagnosed with depression last year, but he started talking about it as if that explained Kyrgios' assault charge. I think someone pointed this out to him because just after that he made a point of saying COVID has been hard on everyone and it has nothing to do with Kyrgios' other situation. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Rafa has had some problem with his thigh, hasn't he? Drat.

Is it wrong of me to want Kyrgios to absolutely melt down after being triple bageled by Rafa?

This seems to be a recurrence of the abdominal injury. He's also getting injections in his foot before every match.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Rafa has had some problem with his thigh, hasn't he? Drat.

Is it wrong of me to want Kyrgios to absolutely melt down after being triple bageled by Rafa?

If it is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

This seems to be a recurrence of the abdominal injury. He's also getting injections in his foot before every match.

No he's not, to the bolded. That was only at the French Open, which is why he had the radiation treatment on his foot, after the tournament. He made it clear after the French Open that he was not going to use the injections again and that if the radiation treatment did not work, he would just not play Wimbledon. 

I haven't seen any articles from Rafa's post-match press, so it's still a bit murky what was wrong. Because some of the commentators were saying it was an abdominal strain but some made it seem like it may have been a stomach bug issue. The latter of course is far less concerning.

But yeah, definitely not looking forward to Rafa playing Kyrgios if he's not 100%. Not that I plan to watch either way because I meant it when I said that I will not watch Nick Kyrgios. And that was before he was an accused assaulter. 

On a more pleasant note, Xisca looked adorable with her tiny baby bump. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Thanks for the correction re Rafa's foot. I thought the treatment was ongoing, esptsincw he sat out the grass court season leading up to Wimbledon. 

Yeah he sat out the season, partly because of the radiation treatment he had to deal with the issue and not have to rely on injections. But also, it's been forever since Rafa played any pre-Wimbledon tournament.

The commentators were discussing it and noting that you'd have to go back to maybe the early 2000s to the last time he played Queens or any of the big pre-Wimbledon grass tournaments. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 2
(edited)

We still don't have an announcement about whether Nadal will play on Friday.  It would be really odd to see Kyrgios get a walk over into a Wimbledon final.  I wonder if that's happened before.

I'm shocked that Halep is down against Rybakina.  She's looked unstoppable this whole tournament until now.

It's not really clear to me how Rybakina was allowed to play, given that Wimbledon banned Russian players.  She was born in Russia and has only represented Kazakhstan for a few years. I mean, good for her for being strategic, but she is Russian.  A lot of the Russian players who were banned have not lived in Russia for years. I don't see why the players with minimal connections to Russia did not get the same chance as Rybakina.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Wow, several media outlets are reporting Rafa has withdrawn from Wimbledon.

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm kinda pissed because part of me feels like he should've retired during the quarter and let Fritz move on. If he was hurting that badly during the match, then he must've known there was a chance he couldn't continue to the next round. Also throw in the fact that a major asshole was just handed a spot in the final. Damn it.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, several media outlets are reporting Rafa has withdrawn from Wimbledon.

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm kinda pissed because part of me feels like he should've retired during the quarter and let Fritz move on. If he was hurting that badly during the match, then he must've known there was a chance he couldn't continue to the next round. Also throw in the fact that a major asshole was just handed a spot in the final. Damn it.

That is a total bummer about Rafa and yes, I'm torn, too, about him not retiring to let Taylor move on. It must be very serious though as I could see Rafa playing from a hospital bed. I'll admit I was one who was rooting for him to have a Calendar Slam.

But ugh to asshole Krygios getting a cakewalk to the final. I really hope Norrie can pull out the win against Joker tomorrow.

Otherwise, I'll have no one to root for. I cannot root for Joker - EVER.

it-is-known-yes.gif

But I cannot root for Krygios, even before I learned of the assault allegations. Or Zverev. Their behavior on-court is enough for me to never, ever want to see them win anything. Ever.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Otherwise, I'll have no one to root for.

This. A Kyrgios/Djokovic final is a giant Team No One for me. But honestly, I could stomach Novak winning more than Kyrgios because the idiot stans of his that constantly bleat about his fuckery being "exciting for the game" will be even more fucking obnoxious. 

• Like 3
  • Love 9

Just because Rafa was hurting, it wasn't his responsibility to retire and just throw the match to Fritz.  It was on Fritz to win it. 

If it winds up being a Kyrgiass/Djokobitch match, I won't be watching. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Just because Rafa was hurting, it wasn't his responsibility to retire and just throw the match to Fritz.  It was on Fritz to win it. 

If it winds up being a Kyrgiass/Djokobitch match, I won't be watching. 

This is extremely fair and after thinking about it more, I come down on this side. Rafa couldn't have possibly known til after the match, which he won fair and square, what kind of damage was done during the match. 

Those are perfect names for those two and I will boycott as well, which is a shame for me and other fans. I've watched since I was a kid. 

🙏 for Norrie to knock out Djokobitch and Kyrgiass on Friday and Sunday. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 6

If it comes down to Nick and Novak, I will indeed root for Nick. I won't watch, but for me at the moment, he is a lesser of two evils. 

But um, yeah, go Norrie?

As to the retire in the Q vs after (btw I don't feel strongly about this either way but am genuinely curious what people think):

What's the difference between "don't give it to Taylor, make him earn it" and pushing through that match, possibly making it worse, and then giving it to Nick, who also did not have to earn it? I mean, other than the prize money, which let's be frank, is chump change to Nadal. No points either for this one. I'm not saying I think he should've retired during the 5th set against Fritz, but to me if you're injured and sure you can't play the next match, and don't need the prize money, and aren't getting any points, I'm not sure I see a significant difference in bowing out at the point where no matches get skipped entirely vs fighting to win one and then bowing out and giving the next person a walkover.

Of course, if he couldn't tell until after the fact that nope, definitely not going to be better in 36 hours, then sure. That makes sense. I'm wondering specifically about the hypothetical where a players knows they can probably make it through the final set but wouldn't be able to do any more.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I am thinking Rafa might have thought he pulled a muscle or even strained it. Not that he had a very significant tear. There’s no way he could have known until he was examined and had scans etc. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

It's not really clear to me how Rybakina was allowed to play, given that Wimbledon banned Russian players.  She was born in Russia and has only represented Kazakhstan for a few years. I mean, good for her for being strategic, but she is Russian.  A lot of the Russian players who were banned have not lived in Russia for years. I don't see why the players with minimal connections to Russia did not get the same chance as Rybakina.

As I understand it, she changed to represent Kazakhstan four years ago because the Russian tennis federation wouldn't offer her financial support but the Kazakhs would. Seems to be Russia's loss, even though she apparently still lives in the country.

The BBC and British press seem to have a fascination with Kyrgios because "he's controversial, but you can't deny he's entertaining." For that fact alone, I'd like Norrie to get to the final just to see everyone instantly switch to reviling Kyrgios as a despicable, unsporting villain.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

I wonder if it has to do with citizenship? She probably took up Kazakh citizenship, where those other Russians, while they live mostly abroad, still have Russian citizenship.

• Love 1
(edited)

This morning ESPN discussed whether Federer will return.  John McEnroe said that it is hard to return if you've been number one and can't play like that any more.  Chris Evert said that she retired at 34 because she was mentally worn out, even though she could stll play physically.

Mary Jo Fernandez talked about how her son, a junior tennis player, hit practice shots with Kyrgios at a tournament in Germany. She said that it was a thrill for her son.

Nick Kyrgios was out on the practice court in Boston Celtics gear.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The BBC and British press seem to have a fascination with Kyrgios because "he's controversial, but you can't deny he's entertaining." For that fact alone, I'd like Norrie to get to the final just to see everyone instantly switch to reviling Kyrgios as a despicable, unsporting villain.

I want Norrie to make the final so I don’t have to hope for an alien invasion in the middle of the 2nd set. Cause I can’t cheer for either NoVax or Kyrgios. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Someone pass the 🤮 bag. ESPN just did this Joker retrospective from last year and this one and I cannot with his whining about how people were mean to him during the ‘22 Aussie Open debacle. 

Dude, you have no one to blame but yourself and his whining diminishes the experience with true suffering. 

In other words:

kingsley shut up GIF

• Like 3
  • Applause 6
  • Love 5

Looks like a typical win over Norrie: Graciously "lose" the first set to toy with the opponent and instill hope in the crowd, then triumphantly win the match. Yawn. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
53 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Looks like a typical win over Norrie: Graciously "lose" the first set to toy with the opponent and instill hope in the crowd, then triumphantly win the match. Yawn. 

I honestly think that he doesn't bother scouting his opponents any more, and just uses the first set to feel them out and break down their game. It's annoying, but it's genuinely impressive.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Danny Franks said:

I honestly think that he doesn't bother scouting his opponents any more, and just uses the first set to feel them out and break down their game. It's annoying, but it's genuinely impressive.

I agree. It's crazy how Novak will play so-so in the first and be lights out in the second, third and fourth. It feels like a practice session followed by the real match. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Someone pass the 🤮 bag. ESPN just did this Joker retrospective from last year and this one and I cannot with his whining about how people were mean to him during the ‘22 Aussie Open debacle. 

Dude, you have no one to blame but yourself and his whining diminishes the experience with true suffering. 

In other words:

kingsley shut up GIF

Love this post for the actual content, but I’m responding to say a big thank you to whoever used the comma after “Bitch.”  Huzzah!

• LOL 8
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

ESPN just showed a piece with Joker talking about people being mean to him and not respecting his decisions. Fucking hell, I can not stand this guy. 

Thank goodness, as soon as my fave withdrew, I haven't watched a second more of Wimbledon coverage. I'll watch the women's final tomorrow and that's it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I'm not watching either! ... 🙈 ... Okay, who are we kidding, I will totally watch, especially if Novak is losing to Nick. ...but I will feel unclean afterwards! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I'm not watching either! ... 🙈 ... Okay, who are we kidding, I will totally watch, especially if Novak is losing to Nick. ...but I will feel unclean afterwards! 

Yeah, I'll be low key watching while I'm at work. I won't be rooting for either, it's like choosing between syphilis or gonorrhea, but I don't want to miss Novak's reaction if he somehow doesn't win. Slim chance, I know but I'm here for it if it happens. 

Definitely checking out the women too.

• Hugs 1
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

Yeah, I'll be low key watching while I'm at work. I won't be rooting for either, it's like choosing between syphilis or gonorrhea, but I don't want to miss Novak's reaction if he somehow doesn't win. Slim chance, I know but I'm here for it if it happens. 

Definitely checking out the women too.

RIP me at the comparison of the men’s final to STDs. So, so true. 🤣

• LOL 3

Well, the ladies final was a great 3-setter. Congrats to the newly-crowned champ and first time winner Elena Rybakina. Although I felt so bad for Ons, who seemed to have the match well in hand, only to see it all fall apart. Thank goodness we had one fabulous singles finale to watch. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Ons maybe needs a bit of her opponent's stoicism. When she is up, she is fist pumping after every shot, but when momentum shifted, she got so rattled and down on herself, she couldn't recover and started making uncharacteristic errors. 

The commentators explaining to us how Rybakina is Russian and still lives in Moscow, but it's OKAY cuz she plays for Kaz was a bit awkward. With all that business, no points, key players getting COVID, Serena's anti-climactic return, Kyrgios' nonsense, and Rafa dropping out of the semis ~this whole tournament has been rather disappointing. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4