Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Berretini is the best looking men’s  tennis player ever, isnt he? My goodness. 
Rafa definitely looked like he was getting heatstroke the other day. He was stumbling, looked dizzy, and he was soaked in sweat and then looked so drawn and stopped sweating. Then the sun moves, shade comes in and he’s a new man. 

I’ve always been more interested in other players than Rafa but I’m really, really rooting for him this time. He’s shown such strength and perseverance and the fact that he is happy without having more championships makes me want him to get to 21 and beat Djerko even more.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, Paws said:

Berretini is the best looking men’s  tennis player ever, isnt he? My goodness. 

He is truly gorgeous.  But I wouldn’t take Rafter, Noah and Panatta out of the running:

DD5A779F-86B8-4EB6-AE9F-243E92E156AF.jpeg

18B65648-360F-457F-B666-E0E3B15435AC_4_5005_c.jpeg

F670F2AA-A5C0-4F5A-B9BE-FE22B711F359.jpeg

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, khyber said:

Glad to see Daniil call out Steph's father.  I'm torn, normally I would be on the side of Daniil but I want Raffa to have more slams that Novaxx.

Not only did he call out Tsitsipas The Elder, but ... (from The NY Times article today):

"Medvedev said he could not be certain that Apostolos Tsitsipas was coaching his son. He said all he could hear was his commentary during the match in Greek, which Medvedev does not speak. Part of Medvedev’s frustration with Campistol was that he did not speak Greek either. But tournament officials soon stationed the Greek umpire Eva Asderaki-Moore in a tunnel within earshot of the player box. After Tsitsipas received a warning for coaching early in the fourth set, he did not win another game, and Medvedev accelerated to the finish."

I didn’t see the match.  Were the commentators aware of the stealth Asderaki-Moore move?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I didn’t see the match.  Were the commentators aware of the stealth Asderaki-Moore move?

On ESPN at least, yes. Darren Cahill was the courtside reporter, and he informed Brad Gilbert and Patrick McEnroe that Asderaki-Moore and someone else (maybe Tiley? I can't remember) were stationed near the box.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Daniil was right to be angry, but wrong in how he handled it.

This is where I'm at on the incident. I am a very firm believer in making a point and standing up for yourself without being disrespectful. And no matter how right Medvedev was on Stefanos' father's illegal coaching, he was wrong to speak to the umpire like that. And he very much should have gotten a second violation warning for it.

When players act like that I just feel like it reeks of entitlement, as if the umpire and lines people and others are somehow beneath them. I mean screaming at the man to look at him and the name calling - no, sir. 

As for the final, at this point I have such post-traumatic stress from all of these losses Rafa has suffered in Australia that I have no expectation of him winning. I'll watch of course, and support and hey, will be beyond thrilled to be wrong. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8

I’ll be rooting for Rafa all the way. Med served his purpose in foiling Djoker’s Calendar Slam last year, so he can lose in straight sets on Sunday. He needs to be taken down a peg or twenty  

I can’t stand Tsis but two wrongs don’t make a right and Med should have gotten some punishment for being an ass to the umpire, especially his basically calling him a pu**y. Tsis and Papa Tsis were being ridiculous as usual but Med didn’t have to stoop to name-calling.

If that had been Serena…

• Love 10

Uh oh, Evil Med makes another appearance. He seems to lose impulse control once he gets frustrated enough. I hope he apologized later. I know it's wrong, but he still cracks me up: "Bro, I'm talking to you, Bro!" Like if he just adds "bro" to each sentence, it's all good!

Well, he and Rafa are capable of a great match, we've seen that, so here's hoping! 

Edited by TVbitch
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I’m happy for Ash but I was rooting for compatriot Danielle and she could and should have taken the second set and forced a third. I, too, have endometriosis and know how debilitating it can. I hope we see more of Danielle in the future. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I didn't know Collins had endometriosis and I'm sorry about that, but I was still rooting for Ash and I'm so happy she won her home Slam.  

Yeah I found out a few days ago when they were discussing it on Tennis Channel Live regarding the medical issues she went through. How for a long time she wasn't sure what was wrong until the diagnosis. 

As an endometriosis sufferer, I know how misunderstood it is by many. Because some think it's just some menstrual cramps. And it's so much more than that. First of all, that "just menstrual cramps" can be intense, almost debilitating pain once a month. 

eta: I forgot to add that I thought Danielle's speech was very sweet - humble and positive. It was nice to see that emotion from her because she's gotten dragged so many times for her resting bitch face demeanor.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

Yes, her speech was nice and humble and that was a nice change from her usual behavior, which rises to the level of some of the male assholes.  She acted better in the match with Barty because she knew that the crowd would overwhelmingly be on Barty's side.  It was nice that the crowd was polite to Collins though.  

• Love 3

I wouldn’t call loudly cheering when Danielle made errors or yelling during points, causing the chair umpire to admonish them multiple times “polite.” 

I can appreciate any home crowd being excited but I draw the line at some of the behavior of some of the Aussie fans. Like the jerk who screamed out “YEAHHH!” when Danielle faulted. Not acceptable behavior whatsoever.

• Love 9

Granted, I didn't watch the first set, but I didn't hear any yelling during points during the second set.  Sure, they cheered and applauded louder when their home player made points, but I heard polite applause for Collins.  It was more subdued, but that's understandable because they were rooting for Barty.  

Also, it was Collins who would raise her fist and yell when she made a great point, whereas Barty stayed composed and didn't let loose until she won the match.   

I do agree that the Aussie crowd was raucous when that Kyrgios played.  I'll never watch him again on his home court because they sounded loud and drunk.   

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Granted, I didn't watch the first set, but I didn't hear any yelling during points during the second set.  Sure, they cheered and applauded louder when their home player made points, but I heard polite applause for Collins.

And to be fair, all crowds have been guilty at times of being a little obnoxious supporting their hometown players. Hell, sometimes they're obnoxious even when the player's not a hometown hero but just really popular. See the US Open's response to Millman when Federer was losing to him. 

I mean let's face it, in the history of obnoxious crowd behavior, I'd say the NY night crowd in particular at the US Open and the French crowd at Roland Garros have had some special moments of shitty behavior. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

I am really happy for Barty.  She has such a wonderful, intelligent and varied game, and she rallied like a champion to pull away in the final.  Collins can be proud of playing her so close, but Barty has accomplished so much already - not only for winning her home slam, but she is the only active player besides Serena and the Big Three to have won majors on all surfaces.   And she seems like a lovely person.  It was such a touching moment when her supporter Evonne Goolagong came out as a surprise to present the trophies.  Well done. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I wouldn’t mind if Medvedev fell back into obscurity.  I turned the match on to Nadal’s double fault so immediately turned it off.  Happy to see him win.

I'm not a fan of Med, but if he can possibly keep Novaxx from adding to his trophy count, I'm all for him. 

This is honestly a win for Tennis Australia--nice, non-controversial winner, making history in a way that isn't going to anger anyone but the Novaxx fans. 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 14

I was rooting for Med (someone had to!) but Rafa employed his extra never-say-die gear and Med couldn't match it, so well done to him and glad he is holding the record over Novak. The match would have been more exciting if ESPN hadn't spoiled it for me with a big picture of Rafa on the app page. Jesus God I hate ESPN. Also, they were shaving games out of the broadcast, and did not air Med speaking. Way to show respect! Ugh! Did I mention I hate ESPN... : D

• Love 6

I didn’t get to watch live. I woke up, saw Rafa was down two sets, understood that the Australian is not his tournament, go ready to head out, gathered with the family for some stuff, checked again and it was in the 5th. I was only able to follow the last two games by watching my phone. The family are not tennis fans. When Rafa won, I jumped up from the table, shouted GOAT, and did a wholly graceless dance around the room. 

Now I’ve watched the final three sets and what a roller coaster ride.

I’m sure the NoVaxx camp is already shouting about asterisks, but that’s not how things works.

So, before the awards ceremony, was he FaceTiming Xisca or Roger? Or did Roger, Mirka and Xisca have an internet watch party going? I just think Roger wants NoVaxx to never get another record ever.

What a fabulous tournament. Congrats to Ash Barty. And congrats to #21, Never Say Die Nadal.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, khyber said:

Wow, just finished watching my recording. The GOAT of 5 sets for sure.  He even had to sit down during some of the trophy ceremony. 

Daniil actually charmed me when he said that at the end of the match he asked Rafa, “Are you even tired?”*

I think Daniil is leaning into his villain role with his villain mustache.(TM, Lito from Sense8) I do think the crowd was over the top, but I can see that as a combination of the Barty Party, pure joy at being back at the tournament, MadMed from the prior matches and wanting to see Rafa make history. 

*I may have that wording slightly off.

• Love 5

What a fantastic two single finals at the AO. Barty brilliant for bringing it home; Rafa just brilliant for enduring and getting to 21.  
Now, don’t forget to fire Tiley who did his best to corrupt and derail this wonderful tournament!

• Love 7

So happy for Rafa, given his recent injuries, I really doubted he'd ever win another slam.

I'm also glad that between the home slam wins for Barty and Kyrios/Kokkinakis and Rafa's stunning comeback win, it underscores to all to Djoker fans that the sport is bigger than any one player. I'm pretty sure no one thinks Rafa deserves an asterisk for that performance. 

• Love 9

I finally had a chance to watch and, amazingly, was unspoiled.

I am over the moon for Rafa.

To think that a few months ago, he was on crutches and contemplating retirement.

He had COVID last month. 

Yet he was still fighting so hard on the inside and it spilled over during this tournament.

He is the epitome of never giving up, even when all seems lost.

Watching his joy at winning made me tear up.

He truly is one of the GOAT and that he is such a nice guy is the icing on the cake.

I truly hope we see him for at least another year.

Vamos!

• Love 13

That was cute re Daniil's "Are you tired?" to Rafa @BlackberryJam. As was his commenting about his wife probably breaking the TV back home. 

He can be very charming when he loses the attitude, but then again, he is still young and immature, and obviously can be his own worst enemy at times with inciting the crowd to root against him. Almost a sort of masochism when he lets a match start slipping through his fingers. 

I think if he can show more of the post-match charm and play like he played for much of the tournament, he could be our next great champion.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

That was cute re Daniil's "Are you tired?" to Rafa @BlackberryJam. As was his commenting about his wife probably breaking the TV back home. 

He can be very charming when he loses the attitude, but then again, he is still young and immature, and obviously can be his own worst enemy at times with inciting the crowd to root against him. Almost a sort of masochism when he lets a match start slipping through his fingers. 

I think if he can show more of the post-match charm and play like he played for much of the tournament, he could be our next great champion.

I think Daniil gets a bit in his own head during a match and the steam builds up until he has to blow, like a tall skinny teapot. He does have a lot of charm in his post match interviews. He and Rafa were having a fun chat afterwards. 

• Love 8

Hmm, not to defend Med, but I have to wonder if he was actually saying "booing," not "boring," his scoffing reflecting the crowd's reaction to him even before Bad Med came out to play during the 3rd set and then cheering for him during the trophy ceremony. Although still, grow up a little if you want them to embrace you. 

I have to say, after watching Jayne Hrdlicka of Tennis Australia, she really needs to tighten up her speeches as she does go on for far too long. 

• Love 1

Oh Daniil, I know I mentioned that Nick Kyrgios could have benefited from a spanking as a child (not that I advocate corporal punishment, and maybe just a metaphorical spanking), but damn, Daniil, way to look like a spoiled brat.

I do think the presenters did need to tighten it up. I don't know if Rafa asked for a chair or if someone just took pity on him, but he was sitting at one point. These men had been out there for more than 5 hours, going hard. No need to drag it out. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I have to say, after watching Jayne Hrdlicka of Tennis Australia, she really needs to tighten up her speeches as she does go on for far too long. 

While I do think he said "boring," I could understand why he said it because she prattled on and on and on.......

• Love 1