Type keyword(s) to search

Michelle and JimBob aka J'Chelle and Boob

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

Thinking like Dim Boob (god help me), I see plenty of lawn to park cars on. Seriously, when have the Duggers ever cared about the beautification or curb appeal of a property. Just look at the TTH, Smugs place or the mold house. Their houses look like they just fell from the sky onto a dirt plot.

Edited by lulu69
  • LOL 6
  • Love 9
(edited)
12 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

Thinking like Dim Boob (god help me), I see plenty of lawn to park cars on. Seriously, when have the Duggers ever cared about the beautification or curb appeal of a property. Just look at the TTH, Smugs place or the mold house. Their houses look like they just fell from the sky onto a dirt plot.

Absolutely. The Duggs don't give a crap. 

Buyers of a million-plus-buck property, on the other hand....!

I know the Duggars don't care personally.

But JB's been in the real-estate business from birth. What I wonder is -- How could he have stayed so ignorant about what the general public is likely to want in properties for certain uses and at certain price points? ....

I thought he was supposed to be a savvy con artist real-estate mogul to some degree. He certainly should be, after a lifetime of experience. And I may have to eat a hat, because I will eat mine if anybody buys that property at anything near that asking price...

Although I do think it's possible they may know that and just put the high price tag on it because they knew it'd get them media attention.

They weren't going to get any gossip-rag stories if they were selling a flip house at anything under a million dollars, I would think. While pushing the initial asking price up near two million pretty much guaranteed them some stories, probably. "Million" gets people's attention. And "nearly two million" gets a lot of attention.

And they need that attention. If for no other reason, to show TLC that publishers still think they can sell magazines, so they're still relevant. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

The good:

1. I actually like the master bedroom and the en suite bath. I like that there are really large windows that open up to nature. I can see a lot of people wanting to wake up to that each morning.

2. Other than that one half bath they showed, I like most of the finishes they used. Generally pretty clean and neutral. 

3. Whoever took the pictures of the home did a nice job.

The bad:

1. That one half bath in the slide show was super busy. It's not bad, but it's not neutral. Some buyers may go for it, while it would not suit the tastes of other buyers and they would want to redo - on top of a $1.8M price point. 

2. I don't really object to there being more bathrooms than bedrooms in a house this size, especially considering that there are 5 full baths and 4 half baths. We're not talking about nine showers here. It's not unusual that very large homes have more baths than bedrooms. Still, I think four bedrooms is way too few for this size home. There should be more like six or seven bedrooms. 

3. My biggest issue is the four kitchens. I can see having two - the main one plus a bar or an in-law kitchen. I don't get the purpose of four. 

4. Also, where's the garage? If there isn't one then that's a huge issue, especially for this price point.

• Love 10
(edited)
17 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

4. Also, where's the garage? If there isn't one then that's a huge issue, especially for this price point.

The listing says there is a 3500 sq ft heated and cooled garage.  Does that mean one of the A/C units is also cooling the garage?  AFAIK, garage square footage is not included as part of the living space.

Also, who puts carpet in a luxury home?  People want hardwood.  Especially if they are buying a multi-million dollar property.  And don't most luxury homes come with a pool?  Jim Bob really messed this one up.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 8
46 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Is this a bedroom?

bedroom.jpg

That's my guess, too. 

It's got the carpet...And it seems to be out by the edge of that giant apron-porch thing. And I'd figure the bedrooms are probably near the ends of those two side wings of the house? Plus, it's the only thing in the whole slideshow that could possibly be a bedroom. And surely they'd show one bedroom, at least. 

If it's for anywhere, though, that lamp is for a dining room. And maybe a dining room in Game of Thrones. It looks oddly medieval to me. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

I want to know if who work on the elevator because having a Duggar work on one is scary. None of them have the skill to put on in or work on one.

lalaw07.gif

• LOL 16
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

The listing says there's a carport and a garage, with three garage spaces. I think the garage is probably under the house and you enter it in the back, under the big apron-patio on top of the fortress walls. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

The listing says there is a 3500 sq ft heated and cooled garage.  Does that mean one of the A/C units is also cooling the garage?  AFAIK, garage square footage is not included as part of the living space.

Also, who puts carpet in a luxury home?  People want hardwood.  Especially if they are buying a multi-million dollar property.  And don't most luxury homes come with a pool?  Jim Bob really messed this one up.  

The house was built in 1969, and at that point I think carpet was highly popular, wasn't it? After the owners put all that slate and such onto the massive floors in the non-bedroom parts of the house, they probably just put carpet down, is my guess. It was 1969!

And there's no way Jim Bob would spend money putting new hardwood floors into a bunch of bedrooms. It's probably some kind of surplus knock-off carpet he's got in the bedrooms, too....As others have said, no way he did this without cutting as many corners as possible. 

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Is this a bedroom?

bedroom.jpg

If that’s a bedroom it looks pretty large. Maybe, the bedrooms are designed to accommodate lots of people like the boys and girls dorms in the TTH. They packed 19 children into 2 rooms. 

If they did that, they’d still have a master suite and a guest room,and that would also account for the extra bathrooms.

I still can’t figure out the reason for all the kitchens unless Jill is going to give cooking classes.

Whatever it is, it’s one fugly house.

The good thing is that it’s giving us lots to snark about, and probably will for months to come since I don’t envision a quick sale.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
(edited)

Mr. Wiser owned a real estate company for a long time and some of his clients were...legendarily...snotty.

I can predict just how that conversation with the realtor went down...

”I would recommend an initial asking price of $895,000.”

”I have $500,000 in it and expect a million in profit. We’re listing it at $1.8.”

”Um, you know this is Arkansas, right? And the market doesn’t care what you have in it. They care that it’s got 14,000 sq ft to cool and heat and only four bedrooms on a small lot.”

”That’s your problem, you’re the realtor. Do your job or I’ll find a realtor who has a penis.

“Oh, and I want massive national and global advertising starting tomorrow.

“And I’m only signing a 90-day listing agreement. That’ll be some incentive for you, sweetcheeks. And since my wife was once a realtor back before her brain liquified I will require a 20% commission referral off the top.”

Minus some of the sexism, my husband has had almost this identical conversation and lots more than once.

That realtor drove away grinding her teeth and headed straight to the liquor store.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • LOL 16
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

The listing says there's a carport and a garage, with three garage spaces. I think the garage is probably under the house and you enter it in the back, under the big apron-patio on top of the fortress walls. 

WorstRenoFails_PinAriannaPfuhl.jpg.b9326a9beb16625330764d2fa06ed167.jpg

A Duggar esque garage (this is not an actual Duggar garage it's a joke)

Edited by BrianJ1962
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

So...you can’t drive into the garage?

And someone not only laid sod down but planted a tree in the way?

These people are dangerously stupid. As in, shouldn’t be allowed to drive or vote stupid. I would have added not being allowed to procreate, but that ship armada has sailed.

• Love 6
(edited)

My first thought was Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop 2:

There's not supposed
to be any right angles. 

You! You! Stop working!
 Stop working! 

You're destroying the house. 

Wait! No right angles?
It's like a doughnut. 

What are you, a fucking art critic?
Let them live inside a doughnut. 

Some people want to live in a round
house. You got the money? Fuck it. 

Edited by EVS
Added italics
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

I will bet my first born that because the whole family is either Shilling or selling their  homes they are really hurting for money.

Something is definitely afoot. With people this lazy, they don't suddenly get that ambitious unless they're terrified. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

An article about the house on the Today Show website says the Duggars spent $1 million on fixing up the house. JB is probably exaggerating to justify the asking price.

This house explains a comment Jessa made a couple of years ago about her dad being so clever finding real estate bargains to fix up. But They bought it in 2014, according to article, so it’s been 5 years - a slow flip!

• LOL 6

Does JB have to carry any type of insurance on the house in case of fire, natural disaster, vandalism etc. etc. until the house is sold? I wonder how much the insurance and property taxes would be on a place like that.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Does JB have to carry any type of insurance on the house in case of fire, natural disaster, vandalism etc. etc. until the house is sold? I wonder how much the insurance and property taxes would be on a place like that.

Taxes, per the listing -- $7,796

I know there's specific insurance for unoccupied houses. Don't know whether there are laws or regulations requiring it or not. I'd expect not, really. Since if something happens to the house, it's your problem. But I actually have no idea.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
(edited)

$7796.00 in taxes. *thud hitting the floor* We got our property tax bill two weeks ago, and I ended up calling the state to make sure it was correct. I had forgotten about the extra school and jail bond levy taxes were thrown in.

How the heck could someone pay that much in one year for taxes.

Edited by bigskygirl
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

That begs the question: What is the actual assessed value of the place? 

I fiddled with a property-tax calculator for Arkansas, and it would appear that a tax of around $7796 means an assessment of around $1.1 million.....

So....JB's asking $700,000 more than the assessed value. ha. About 64 percent more than the house's assessed value. 

Yeah. That'll fly with buyers. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 10
14 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I fiddled with a property-tax calculator for Arkansas, and it would appear that a tax of around $7796 means an assessment of around $1.1 million.....

So....JB's asking $700,000 more than the assessed value. ha. About 64 percent more than the house's assessed value. 

I KNEW someone would come through with reverse calculations! 1.1MM still seems pretty high.

• Love 4
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I KNEW someone would come through with reverse calculations! 1.1MM still seems pretty high.

I don't know about you, but my tax assessments are always way higher than any price I could actually get for the house in question! 

I mean, the tax assessors don't care if the place has a weird shape and a silly floor plan. And it seems as if the original builder was envisioning the place withstanding disasters. So it seems likely that it's pretty well built. And it has a very large living area....and that big ugly patio thing back there. Lots of space. Bulit like a brick shithouse. I can see a million for it, if you didn't mind that it's silly looking. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

See, I like the house. Just if it were 90% smaller. One kitchen is plenty. And on my current lot. And as long as no Duggar touched it. 

Right now my hubby and I are pleased with our house after all the weatherization work done on it. I am also grateful for the men who did the work, and they would put the Duggar men to shame because the men who did the work because they want to help others be happy, healthy, and more comfortable in their own homes (not to be greedy in trying to make the big bucks like *cough JB cough*)

1 minute ago, Lunera said:

Boob should just keep the house and move Smuganna, Joken, Siren, and Benessa in there and sell all the other properties. 

I can picture Jessa taking over and running the house.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I can picture Jessa taking over and running the house.

If I were married to Josh I would want to house like that. You wouldnt have to see him for days. 

Could Jim Bobby intentionally taking a loss on this property for tax reasons or some other accounting BS?  I wouldn’t put that past him. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

Boob should just keep the house and move Smuganna, Joken, Siren, and Benessa in there and sell all the other properties. 

There goes my Sin City house. Darn it!

8 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

The good:

1. I actually like the master bedroom and the en suite bath. I like that there are really large windows that open up to nature. I can see a lot of people wanting to wake up to that each morning.

2. Other than that one half bath they showed, I like most of the finishes they used. Generally pretty clean and neutral. 

3. Whoever took the pictures of the home did a nice job.

The bad:

1. That one half bath in the slide show was super busy. It's not bad, but it's not neutral. Some buyers may go for it, while it would not suit the tastes of other buyers and they would want to redo - on top of a $1.8M price point. 

2. I don't really object to there being more bathrooms than bedrooms in a house this size, especially considering that there are 5 full baths and 4 half baths. We're not talking about nine showers here. It's not unusual that very large homes have more baths than bedrooms. Still, I think four bedrooms is way too few for this size home. There should be more like six or seven bedrooms. 

3. My biggest issue is the four kitchens. I can see having two - the main one plus a bar or an in-law kitchen. I don't get the purpose of four. 

I live in a neighborhood with lots of immigrants.  In fact, I live in the only legislative district in all of King County (Seattle) that is minority majority.

When I'm out walking, I see so many houses with lots of cars parked in the driveway, garage, and out front on the street.  Truly, so many homes appear to be inhabited by multiple families.  I'm guessing extended family.

I could see JB's house with four kitchens being useful for those multiple families that live together.

But, there is still the huge issue of a severe lack of bedrooms!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Here in King County (Seattle metro), homes are always appraised for quite a bit more than the tax assessment value.

• Love 4
(edited)
25 minutes ago, louannems said:

Here in King County (Seattle metro), homes are always appraised for quite a bit more than the tax assessment value.

In Ohio, my house and everybody else's that I knew of was assessed considerably higher than the appraised value. People in my neighborhood there kept appealing but they never won!

Same thing often appears to be true in DC. So it must vary by jurisdiction ... guess there's no reason why it wouldn't!...... I've been living in the wrong places, though! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

But is the tax estimate based on assessment or appraisal value? Is there any way to tell? (Not a homeowner, so I am clueless how this works).

Well, that's probably not a tax estimate. It's probably the tax they've most recently paid. So that's based on the assessment. 

• Love 2

Taxes are based on the assessed value.  In NC, statute requires jurisdictions to revalue once every 8 years at a minimum.  Most do them in 4 year intervals.  At the beginning of the reval period, houses are assessed higher than actual value but by the end of the period, it is below.  It evens out the valuation over the period of time between revals.

Topic, this house should have had at least two kitchens taken out and converted to bedrooms or additional family areas.  You can see the Duggar handiwork throughout.  And...is that supposed to be a water feature in the picture of the staircase (there's a pit in the floor next to the bottom of the stairs)?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, cdp73 said:

Topic, this house should have had at least two kitchens taken out and converted to bedrooms or additional family areas.

I think that would be one of the most reasonable ways to make it a more desirable residence,

Question for those of you with renovation experience: how much of a pain in the ass is it to turn a kitchen into a different room? I have tons of relatives in construction but am quite innocent of all things about the business. 🙂 

Like, I assume it would be a nightmare? 

• Love 2