Type keyword(s) to search

Michelle and JimBob aka J'Chelle and Boob

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

LYmhY3t.jpg

Michelle's been reading my posts and finally got a purse!

And it's a Longchamp Le Pliage!  So stop it with the 'frugality' crap, Michelle.  It's OK to like nice things, but just own up to it.  You're millionaires now and you're living a very comfortable middle class lifestyle. 

• Love 3

I wasn't sure I recognized her without her phone under her arm...

Her peach shirt is exactly like the green shirt she wore forever. When she finds something she likes, she must buy it in every available color.

Ah, what I would give to chop off a good 8 inches of her hair.

Johannah is adorable.

Lol I admit I totally buy a ton of clothing pieces in every color if it's something I like and is flattering. However, I usually lose interest in them after a few years. Michelle has been wearing that lime monstrosity for decades, it seems.

I don't understand how Michelle doesn't see how awful her hair looks. She looked great with that makeover a few years ago and in the recent PEOPLE shoot. I guess it's really true that we can never see ourselves clearly, nor can we really understand how others perceive us.

Michelle and all of the older girls look great when those shaggy mops are pulled back in a bun or ponytail.

• Love 2

I thought the very same thing, Fuzzysox ! I was saying in my head "Good Lord, please wipe that down, please wipe that down..."

And of course it was one of the little Duggar girls going to town with Pledge and a cloth to clean it up while Michelle muggs for the camera and makes the face that reminds me of the evil clown from "Poltergeist". Jeez, those ping-pong ball eyes give me the willies !!!

While I'm at it - in the same clip...FEET ON THE COUNTER ! AGAIN ! BARE FEET ! Was I raised in some kind of alternate universe where parents don't allow kids to run all over the counter with filthy shoes or feet !? I can just hear my dad rolling in his grave, saying over and over, "Counters are for glasses, not for asses...!" (Or feet, I assume !)

Our fathers were obviously separated at birth! Haha

How about "get off the table, Mabel..that $2 is for beer!"

• Love 4

I don't understand how Michelle doesn't see how awful her hair looks. She looked great with that makeover a few years ago and in the recent PEOPLE shoot. I guess it's really true that we can never see ourselves clearly, nor can we really understand how others perceive us.

It's probably like those dudes with combovers. They must see how it looks on other people, and that it also doesn't work for them, but somehow, when they're looking in the mirror, instead of thinking "maybe I should just go proudly bald", they're thinking "if I comb it just right, I'll be the one guy who still manages to look like he has all his hair."

• Love 1
(edited)

LYmhY3t.jpg

10 seconds after this pic was taken - "Here Jana, hold this, missing back muscle, yadda, yadda."

That tote appears to be a cloth Dooney. And lookie! Jana's holding her Starbucks!

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't know if you're legitimately asking but just in case you are, I'll tell you: It doesn't exist unless they have to buy something for the kids.

Edited by Apple Clark
  • Love 1

That's how I took it too. I thought if the cameras weren't there she probably wouldn't have even said anything. I don't think we would've heard the squeaky "NOT THEM!" without the cameras. I doubt she would've even noticed.  I was glad JB shut her down pretty quickly. Not to give JB too much credit - I also don't think he would have done the skeevy dry hump on the mini-golf course without the cameras, so I think they both play to the cameras a lot.

I think that, too. And it isn't about their ministry. It is to create reality tv drama. They don't really have much to cause drama other than their (or Goddard's) stringent rules. Their story arc is always fish-out-of-water. At least that it how it seems to me. 

• Love 2
(edited)

What happened to buy used?

I think that went out the window a looong time ago. During last night's epi I noticed all the Duggar boys were wearing North Face jackets. I can't imagine there's too many expensive, trendy clothing items floating around in Springdale thrift stores, so yeah, they're full of crap.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6

I too don't understand why MEchelle wants to be stuck in that horrible poodle head hairstyle and her lime green shirt fashion (gag not fashion more like a fashion fail) Does she truly believe it's her signature look?

TLC hasn't thought of the brilliant plan of having Stacy London help her? Ratings gold I would think. If anyone can fix frumpy it's Stacy and throw some Clinton Kelly in there too just to get a rise out of MeChelle. 

• Love 6

Expensive purses are the biggest trend in most Fundy, Amish, and Mennonite circles. Another one is expensive tennis shoes. Because these are also things that serve a purpose, they fly just under the radar of the modesty police. So it could be a very expensive bag and Michelle could have it as a way of fitting in with her own peer set for the ATI conference.

• Love 1

I think that went out the window a looong time ago. During last night's epi I noticed all the Duggar boys were wearing North Face jackets. I can't imagine there's too many expensive, trendy clothing items floating around in Springdale thrift stores, so yeah, they're full of crap.

In an episode a long time ago, they had an IQAir HEPA filter in the background. Those things are expensive (like $1000) because they are hospital-grade filters, and I doubt they found it at a thrift store. The only reason I'd believe they still shop at thrift stores and the like from time to time is because JB is a tightwad.

• Love 3

Expensive purses are the biggest trend in most Fundy, Amish, and Mennonite circles. Another one is expensive tennis shoes. Because these are also things that serve a purpose, they fly just under the radar of the modesty police. So it could be a very expensive bag and Michelle could have it as a way of fitting in with her own peer set for the ATI conference.

The purse....and the personal tourbus....and the ATVs....and the airline....

• Love 3

I too don't understand why MEchelle wants to be stuck in that horrible poodle head hairstyle and her lime green shirt fashion (gag not fashion more like a fashion fail) Does she truly believe it's her signature look?

TLC hasn't thought of the brilliant plan of having Stacy London help her? Ratings gold I would think. If anyone can fix frumpy it's Stacy and throw some Clinton Kelly in there too just to get a rise out of MeChelle. 

OMG - I think I'd actually PAY to see Stacey & Clinton get a whack at the Duggars. The verbal comments alone would be worth it!

• Love 4

She's had two makeovers already. She didn't like them. She went right back to the poodle look. I don't think intervention will help at all.

• Love 9
(edited)

GEML, ON 13 MAY 2015 - 6:18 PM, SAID:
I'm not sure. I think JB is a control freak who doesn't play well with others, and that's a major issues. A board is a board, even for a cult, and I doubt JB likes submitting to authority. I think the show IS held against him, as its brought too much scrutiny on the organization, and then there is just JB's whole personality. His family seems very not so special outside of sheer numbers, and not even very happy. They don't seem to represent the cult very well.

Yes, I'll bet control probably is a big part of it. I've often felt Boob was far more controlling than just what was needed to be a Gothard man. I think he was probably the kind of kid that would pick up his ball with a huff and go home a lot, refusing to play with the others if they didn't want to do things his way all the time. Most fathers and sons enjoy playful rivalry but he seems to be excessively competitive with his boys [sons-in-law too]. He's told stories several times about being shorter than the average boy until late in high school, so he may well have been picked on quite a lot. Maybe the overwhelmingly need to control is his attempt to assert himself any way he can. In my school district, one of the questions teachers have to assess at the end of each year, for each child's K-12 file, is the following. Circle one: this child is accepted - tolerated - disliked by the group. I'm wondering how many teachers might have marked "tolerated" in Boob's case?

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 8
(edited)

BitterApple, I think you're right on the money here. I've seen the family in many shows where they do the whole match-matchy thing, especially for the boys, and they're ALL wearing the same color polos. As in Ralph Lauren Polos, not the K-Mart/Target/No Name Brand. That's $40-$75 bucks a pop depending on size, of which the Duggar boys run the gamut. The chances of finding 10 (!) of all the same color in the correct sizes in a thrift store are probably slim to none, and slim left town, LOL.

I think JB and Meechelle do the "buy used..." crap as a PR tool to emphasize their thriftiness and continued dedication to that money-education system they subscribe to (sorry, I can't remember the name) but in reality they are totally full of shit. Lying liars who lie. The kids just play along, of course, because they have to. 

The weird thing is, I wouldn't begrudge them a single thing they bought if they'd just come clean ! Whether I agree with the way they've earned their money (I generally don't) it's their money to spend, so if it's Polos for everyone then so be it ! I worked very hard to obtain my education, and worked for decades climbing my way up the corporate ladder, so I have no shame or remorse for the nice things I was able to buy for myself. I don't flaunt it or brag, but I don't lie about it either, and that's the difference. JB and Meechelle play the "poor us" card while traveling the world, sipping their nine dollar Starbucks concoctions, and driving some very enviable vehicles. It remains incongruous, however, that Meechelle continues to wear those staggeringly ugly blouses that appear to be made out of the same material from which they make bed sheets ! And the weird, clunky, dumpy clogs make my head hurt...

When I saw the picture of her with the (ostensibly) good bag, most probably a Dooney & Bourke, the very first thing that came to mind was Hanibal Lecter talking to Clarice Starling in "Silence of the Lambs"...

"You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste."

Edited by SomePity1066
  • Love 9
(edited)

Re the statements that go in a child's file, I hate that too, MP, but ideally, I guess it gives the next teacher a baseline going in. If they have a child who's consistently been "accepted" but suddenly is quiet and withdrawn, maybe (maybe!) the teacher would notice the difference and investigate further. Having noted that, I can suddenly see where it would be NOT a good thing if a teacher read that a child was tolerated or disliked and went into the new year banking on a bad experience. You're right, Micks Pics, you win.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 4

I think JB and Meechelle do the "buy used..." crap as a PR tool to emphasize their thriftiness and continued dedication to that money-education system they subscribe to (sorry, I can't remember the name) but in reality they are totally full of shit. Lying liars who lie. The kids just play along, of course, because they have to. 

...It remains incongruous, however, that Meechelle continues to wear those staggeringly ugly blouses that appear to be made out of the same material from which they make bed sheets ! And the weird, clunky, dumpy clogs make my head hurt...

"

You always make me laugh... You shoot straight, don'tcha?

In their (very limited) defense, from all I've read about the early days, I think they truly lived by that mantra. Probably one things that's changed their habits is the kids getting older and questioning why, exactly, do I have to have used clothing, or used shoes when I can afford new ones all my very own? I read things from early on, written by people standing there who said they really did live like that. However, they did all dress in the same color - at least when in public - even from the early days.

But Michelle's dress code: OMG. Her shoes and that stupid green shirt make me cringe, and those shirts really do look like bedsheets. She didn't even have the forethought to use the green velvet drapes! But. As it turns out, we've seen her dressed twice for a family wedding, and it's not really not much different. (Why did "putting lipstick on a pig" just flit across my mind?)

• Love 1

Interesting thought about the purses/shoes.  I'm going to check this morning, while I'm at Walmart.  It's Thursday...that (and Friday) are generally grocery shopping days for the Amish, here, and I have to go, anyway!

Every brand now has some sort of Le pliage tote knockoff now - I've seen them at kohls and target. I've also seen a lot of Dooney bags at thrift stores, so I don't think you can say for sure Michelle bought an expensive bag.

• Love 2

I'm happy Michelle upgraded her bag, now it's time to get rid of those hideous Crocs. Seriously, she can't drop a hundred bucks and get a nice pair of black flats at Aerosoles? She could easily find shoes that are both stylish and functional.

• Love 1

Wait, what? Does she really have hair pieces? Like Josie's piggy tail pieces? How have I not known that all these years?

Those things were totally bizarro.

Hopefully, no one here uses them on their kids. If you do, my apologies....but they're....bizarro.

Lol I admit I totally buy a ton of clothing pieces in every color if it's something I like and is flattering. However, I usually lose interest in them after a few years. Michelle has been wearing that lime monstrosity for decades, it seems.

Michelle and all of the older girls look great when those shaggy mops are pulled back in a bun or ponytail.

Interesting thought about the purses/shoes.  I'm going to check this morning, while I'm at Walmart.  It's Thursday...that (and Friday) are generally grocery shopping days for the Amish, here, and I have to go, anyway!

ETA: I guess it was a bad time of morning to go.  Of the 8 or so Amish women I saw, one had black leather clogs on; one  had on a pair of black Fila's and the rest had on standard black Walmart shoes that they typically sell in this area.  Flip flops on the Amish are really big here, in every season except the middle of winter.  I've seen little boys wearing croc-type sandals.   Purses....many of the young-adult (non-married) Amish girls I saw didn't even have a purse.  One had a very colorful one with some type of beach motif on it (but I wasn't close enough to see what brand it was) and the few older Amish women I saw had basic, Walmart-type black purses.  But I'll keep my eyes peeled!

• Love 2

She's had two makeovers already. She didn't like them. She went right back to the poodle look. I don't think intervention will help at all.

If she feels that JB likes her look, she's not going to change it, because she's fulfilling her Godly-woman's role of presenting a pleasing image to her husband.  I can't recall, but I seem to remember that he didn't seem particularly happy about the makeovers.  Or maybe I'm just psychic...IDK.

• Love 4

I was recently at a homeschool convention in an area with a large number of Amish/Mennonite. Many of the women had on high quality, expensive tennis shoes. I really didn't think much of it and definitely don't have a problem with it. Good shoes are really important and they walk a lot. I don't see it as immodest. I see it as practical. 

As far as why Michele doesn't have better clothes or taste, maybe she likes what she's wearing or it's comfortable to her. I'm not the most stylish person in the world. My guess is that if I posted a picture of how I look on a regular basis I'd get similar criticism. I don't purposely look terrible and I do hope I look a little better than her. But maybe I don't. I would often look at the subject of 'What not to Wear' and wonder what was so wrong with looking like that LOL. 

• Love 5

I can't recall, but I seem to remember that he didn't seem particularly happy about the makeovers.

The People makeovers? Did we see his reaction to those?

All I know is this is the man who, when MEchelle was trying on dresses for their vow renewal, said he'd like to see something with "puffy sleeves."

• Love 4

All I know is this is the man who, when MEchelle was trying on dresses for their vow renewal, said he'd like to see something with "puffy sleeves."

The makeover where she got a haircut, and had her hair straightened....is that the People one?  Maybe it was just a very well placed (and edited) camera shot of his face when he saw her - or her reaction, when she saw his reaction to her makeover,  I don't remember. Or something she said, or he said...I just had the distinct impression he wasn't all on board with the makeover results.

• Love 1

During her first makeover where her hair was straightened she said she looked like she just walked out of the shower. Then  she said that Boob likes it curly so that was that. What an boob herself that can't allow herself to look better because Boob would disapprove? So stoopid. 

And if you have a chance look at the latest pictures of her on Pickles & Hairspray's FB page. She isn't rocking her trademark fake curly dead rats nest on her head. Must have been in the wash or poor Jana forgot to pack it......or secretly threw it out!!!!!

• Love 3

I've often felt Boob was far more controlling than just what was needed to be a Gothard man. I think he was probably the kind of kid that would pick up his ball with a huff and go home a lot, refusing to play with the others if they didn't want to do things his way all the time. Most fathers and sons enjoy playful rivalry but he seems to be excessively competitive with his boys [sons-in-law too].

Remember the "ninja training" episodes in Japan/China? Jim Boob was so threatened by the fact he was in a room of men that had no problem beating him that he pulled a sword on one of them. Jim Boob's thin skin and insane competitiveness against his own kids has happened in other episodes (weight loss, for instance) as well. He has to be first at all times, or someone will pay. Not a great trait for a Gothard board member (or a father-in-law).

• Love 13

Those things were totally bizarro.

Hopefully, no one here uses them on their kids. If you do, my apologies....but they're....bizarro.

Haha, no. It would look funny on my teenage sons. Kidding, but even if I had a girl, hell no. Those are weird and creepy. I can't stand alterations to babies (I'm NOT talking about pierced ears). Just let them be. But, yeah, totally agree.

• Love 1

During her first makeover where her hair was straightened she said she looked like she just walked out of the shower. Then  she said that Boob likes it curly so that was that. What an boob herself that can't allow herself to look better because Boob would disapprove? So stoopid. 

And if you have a chance look at the latest pictures of her on Pickles & Hairspray's FB page. She isn't rocking her trademark fake curly dead rats nest on her head. Must have been in the wash or poor Jana forgot to pack it......or secretly threw it out!!!!!

Can someone link a pic with the hair pieces and another without? When I go to P&H (can't stand her), the latest pic of Meechelle is with Prissy. Her hair looks exactly the same as any of the episodes. I'm not seeing a huge difference. Help me see!

As far as why Michele doesn't have better clothes or taste, maybe she likes what she's wearing or it's comfortable to her. I'm not the most stylish person in the world. My guess is that if I posted a picture of how I look on a regular basis I'd get similar criticism. I don't purposely look terrible and I do hope I look a little better than her. But maybe I don't. I would often look at the subject of 'What not to Wear' and wonder what was so wrong with looking like that LOL.

J-Chelle is free to wear what she wants as much as the rest of us are, but like it or not, she's a public personality. She's on a TV show. She's also paid to make appearances. As a result, a little effort in the appearance department might be a good idea.

I do something for a living that requires me to make appearances as well. I'm no fashion plate, but I do have a modern hairstyle, wear appealing clothing, etcetera. I make sure I look like I'm not stuck in 1989. LOL

• Love 4

Of course, that was Boob's era. Princess Diana's dress, with those huge puffed sleeves just 3 years earlier, set the standard for the 80s, or at least the early and mid 80s. What I thought was odd was that he had any opinion whatsoever. Most men do not care what the wedding dress looks like - at all.  Another indication of Boob's massive need to control.

• Love 7
Most men do not care what the wedding dress looks like - at all.  Another indication of Boob's massive need to control.

Yes.  Just like he was when the girls wanted to re-do their bedroom.  He wanted to keep the wall art.

Michelle wants that poodle rat's nest with the crunchy poof bangs.She's had two on air makeovers and has a house full of adult daughters who look like they spend a lot of time on their own hair. Well, except for Jill, but whatever.

I think she and JimBob are stuck in their 1980s glory days, and like that style. It is outdated and damaged, but still looks slightly better IMO than that weird mulled with short curled layers around the front and sides that Michelle had on the original specials.

• Love 3

If she feels that JB likes her look, she's not going to change it, because she's fulfilling her Godly-woman's role of presenting a pleasing image to her husband.  I can't recall, but I seem to remember that he didn't seem particularly happy about the makeovers.  Or maybe I'm just psychic...IDK.

Given JB's apparent insecurities, and how proud he still is of having gotten the hot cheerleader, maybe he's one of those guys who is always paranoid that if their wife is too attractive she'll leave him for someone better, so he keeps her stuck in the 80s where she's perfect for his old fantasies, but not for anyone else.

• Love 3

LYmhY3t.jpg

10 seconds after this pic was taken - "Here Jana, hold this, missing back muscle, yadda, yadda."

Jessa looks like she's wearing a victoria's secret PINK top. There's hope for her yet!

Jessa looks like she's wearing a victoria's secret PINK top. There's hope for her yet!

NIKE! Or is VS ok now that she's married (even though the first thing you think of is sexy undies, even with the clothing lines - NOT modest.)

haha... isn't VS catalog the 'innocent' version of Playboy?  As in the guy can have it in the house because it's just 'her' catalog and not a girlie mag? Love it if that's the case both for Jessa and Ben, but...

NIKE!

• Love 1