Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Invites and Ride-Alongside

Jim Bob does a ride along with John-David while he is on patrol. Jill decides to make a special gift for her mother-in-law. Ben and Jessa ask Josh to design their wedding invites, like he did for Derick and Jill.

So this was one long Christian Mingle commercial for John Sling David Blade. Boob and J'Chelle talking about how he doesn't have a girlfriend and would be a good catch. He has a job! He works on big equipment! He works for the police department! And yet, no mention whatsoever that his twin sister, who clearly got all the looks and then some, is single as well. Oh, yeah, J'Chelle can't have her workhorse married off.

• Love 16
(edited)

Did it feel to anyone else like a lot of this episode was little more than a John-David advertisement?  I HATE the fact that they’re auctioning off this mouth-breather while poor Jana remains at the TTH as an indentured servant.  25-years-old in their culture/lifestyle is like 45 in ours, which certainly isn’t old, but you get what I’m trying to say.  What these yahoos are doing to their adult daughters is just criminal.  The saddest part of it is that it’s surely occurred to them that they could run from a legal standpoint, but they won’t.

Derick's mom seems like a very good, patient woman.  It's a shame that she's dealing with such a crappy situation.  I have to wonder how much she enjoys appearing on camera, especially in such a vulnerable state.  The gift basket was nice and I actually believe that Jill would have done that even if the cameras hadn't been watching.

The Inappropriate Ride-along has been done before and commented on, so there’s not much more for me to say other than how inappropriate it was.  I have a hard time understanding how the Tontitown police department signed off on this.  As usual, Jim Bob made a complete mockery of a serious profession- one that is currently being dogged by some pretty intense nationwide scrutiny.  The Duggars don’t give a shit how they come across to people.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 17

So this was one long Christian Mingle commercial for John Sling David Blade. Boob and J'Chelle talking about how he doesn't have a girlfriend and would be a good catch. He has a job! He works on big equipment! He works for the police department! And yet, no mention whatsoever that his twin sister, who clearly got all the looks and then some, is single as well. Oh, yeah, J'Chelle can't have her workhorse married off.

This!! Oh my gosh your comment made me laugh so hard, I was thinking the exact  same thing. It felt like a debutante ball announcing to the world John David is ready ladies, come get 'em! I can't get over how absolutely obvious this episode was, sure MEchelle, sure you make "special time for all your kids". 

• Love 5

OMG I can'tell get the image of baby-voiced, bug-eyed Michelle, in her skirt, at the controls of the backhoe out of my mind. Why the heck was John David standing in front of it as he narrated? I was just waiting for the big metal claw to come down on his head. What is wrong with these people?

I also felt bad for Dereick'a mom, when she mentioned them visiting her at her cancer treatment center far away. We all know Jill and Derrick were in Central America, NYC and a few other magic bus family trips. I sure hope they made time to visit Cathy.

• Love 3

About all they didn't say about John Sling David Blade is how much he likes french fried potaters and how much of a whiz he is on small engines. That, and how he just got released from the state nervous hospital because they said he's well now. Mmmmmmm hmmmmmmm.

• Love 10

Glad I walked away with the same impression -- that it was a dating commercial for JD. I mean how much more obvious did they need to be -- line up here ladies, he's a great fella with a JOB (which is not a criteria for us when we marry off our daughters but your dads may care) and a steady personality, so he's not likely to be a wife beater . . . .

Jill seems at ease around Cathy which is nice. Nice to see her make those pies and care baskets even though she's had morning sickness herself. When Derick was walking in, I swear that behind the basket he had a 6 pack -- though as he put everything down, it became clear that it was a 6 pack of dr. pepper bottles. It would have been nice if Jill and Derick had gone to Omaha to visit; maybe they did but if they did, I would have expected them to say something on social media; I know there was a pic of Dan in Nebraska at some point. I mean it looks like a 9-10 hr drive which they could do if Derick took a Monday and Friday off from work -- which he doesn't seem to mind doing for Duggar things; or they aren't hurting for money -- they could have flown up on a Friday night after work and stayed the weekend.

• Love 3

I had to laugh at Michelle talking about not cooking anything that did not appeal to the nose when she had morning sickness. Really Michelle? Really? I doubt you cooked anything after Jana was born. You probably told the J'Slaves what wasn't appealing at the time and they cooked something. 

In case you guys missed it: John David is single.

I thought Jill's gift basket was really nice, but I agree, shame on them if they didn't go to visit her. Their money situation can't be too bad if Derick can take time off for mini vacays, they could easily afford plane fare to Nebraska.

According the maps it's more of a 6.5 hour drive to Omaha. Not too bad for a weekend or especially for a long weekend.

Especially since Jill would surely go with him. Road trips are fun...or, at least they can be. Omaha is pretty to me.

• Love 1
(edited)

Somehow I think they didn't go. I think Boob and Mullet have them on a short leash. With kids sleeping over and home foolin' and filming, they probably didn't have time.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 2
(edited)

Michelle talked about John David as if we had never 'met' him before. Jim Bob treated the ride-along as if he was at home watching a movie and eating popcorn.

Johanna should not be saying, thinking or believing 'Expectations ruin relationships' at her young age.

Keep your day job, Michael. :)

Michelle said 'excavator' like she says 'perpendicular.'

19 Kids and Counting was brought to you this evening by the word 'Steady.' Never heard that word used to describe someone. Guess it's not 'that bad' but, meh.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 4
(edited)

About all they didn't say about John Sling David Blade is how much he likes french fried potaters and how much of a whiz he is on small engines. That, and how he just got released from the state nervous hospital because they said he's well now. Mmmmmmm hmmmmmmm.

And the potted chicken-pecker meat.

Does Alert qualify as a nervous hospital?

Edited by xls
  • Love 3

Ah lahk the way yew tawlk.
  • Love 5
(edited)

I swear they read these types of sites on the regular. A few weeks back everyone is joking about how much of a catch JD is..not. Then tonight we get Hillbilly Bachelor.

I saw a preview for next week...MEchelle at a reunion. Weren't we all yacking about how she has dumped everyone from her past including her own family?

Damage Control. I've seen it on this show. .K+8 and also Sister Wives.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 6

-I am a little confused about John David being an elected constable and working with the police department. I thought constables are like sheriff departments. Why is he working with the one department after he was elected for a two year term?

-Leave it to Jim Bob to make an ass out of himself on the ride along. When an officer tells you to stay in the car, you stay in the car. And John David decided to go check out what was happening with the traffic stop. Did the other officer ask for assistance or was he trying to prove his special, amazing, law enforcement skills to the single ladies out there.

-Why not post an 1-800- I am desperate number for John David to meet his special someone. I am sure women will be lining up now since he was looking good in his uniform. *snort*

-I felt uncomfortable with the Derick, Jill, Cathy scene. Why do they need to remind the viewers about Cathy's illness? There is a time for privacy. Wait, I forgot who I was posting about.

-Jill almost made it to the end without giggling. I was really hoping she would pull it out.

-UGH!!!  The way Anna talks. Need I say more.

-I will go to bed tonight feeling safe and secure knowing John David is not a law enforcement officer where I live. He and Jim Bob made a mockery of the law enforcement field in tonight's episode. Keep it klassy you two.

What a fool Jim Boob was to go against JD's request that, for safety reasons, he stay in the car during the traffic stop. Now of course the whole thing was probably a TLC set-up and not a real stop, but still.

Yep, definitely advertising JD the Bachelor. No thanks, I'll pass.

Josh is definitely hoping that one day the kids will start a band so they can tour around at wall the proper fundie events. But I will at least give him credit for seemingly being an involved father.

Once again, Josie's speech in the talking heads is just not right for her age. Sigh.

• Love 1
(edited)

I had to get something from another room when the opening started and I thought 

"oh on this show I'll have enough time to get it while Michelle goes through the whole family."

Michelle says "Jana and John David are actually twenty-five years old." and thinks  (and not married! I was married at 17! That makes me so old)" 

I kind of liked seeing Michelle drive the excavator, although I'm not a Michelle fan. 

It sounded like Jessa said Junior when she who took her photos. I liked Jessa's face when Ben said he invited some guy he helped move one time.

I liked Jessa's hair and shirt when she was talking to Ben. Jinger that's how you wear a headband. 

Considering the way they pimped the ride-along I was pleasantly surprised that they only spent five minutes on it (according to my tv).  Headlight violations! 

As to them auctioning JD off, I think it's kind poor taste to auction anyone off, but if JD is ok with it  then it's ok. I wouldn't be surprised if Jana didn't want to be auctioned off in that way, but I could be wrong. It did remind me of the Bachelor without the ladies. 

Edited by Temperance

I'm embarrassed that I know this, but I wonder if their use of the word "steady" is a dog whistle to Pearl followers. Debi Pearl wrote this awful book about marriage and classified all men as Mr. Steady, Mr. Command, and Mr. Visionary. It's the wife's job to figure out which her husband is so she can submit accordingly.

• Love 5

Jana had her Bachelorette episode a couple of years ago. Remember when they dedicated an entire episode showing what a Godly young woman she was at Gothard Indoctrination Camp? Those are the qualities Godly young men are looking for in a woman. It comes off differently than showing what a MAN JD has become; in that case, they have to sell the fact that he can support a wife, and here's what he does. Jana? Just has to be Godly enough to be submissive. 

Abstract, I'd forgotten about the three types of husband as per Pearl. Boob would definitely be the Visionary. How do you submit to one? How would a dreamer even know you were being submissive? 

• Love 2
(edited)

My main concern is how much hair got in the food they prepared tonite. First it was Jill with her waist long hair making the pies for Cathy & then MEchelle hanging over the boy's pies/casseroles. Please Duggars, tie your hair back or cover it up when preparing food !!!! What was with the pie crust cutouts on top of the boy's pies? They looked like they were still raw when they showed the finished products.

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 3

Abstract, I'd forgotten about the three types of husband as per Pearl. Boob would definitely be the Visionary. How do you submit to one? How would a dreamer even know you were being submissive?

You submit to a visionary by going along with every crazy idea he has, no matter the consequences to the family.

• Love 4

Not sure if it was this episode or the next but when Josh took the kids to the music shop, he was wearing a t shirt w a college name on it -- not U of Arkansas. Did anyone catch it or can you make it out on DVR? I was watching on a tiny tv and couldn't read it. Would love to know what school -- wonder if Josh is taking online classes somewhere?

I think it's sweet that he thinks -- Bach started around age 3, that's Michael's age, go for it. We all know it's unlikely but it's nice to see someone on that show with some notion of having a dream for a child; though who knows-- maybe Josh will bc his own parents denied him a very basic education and thus closed off lots of options that would've interested him.

• Love 1

I really don't like Joshie but his expression was so full of love for his kids at the music store. He really does love his children.

Boob was a big ass when he did that ride around with JD. I guess that Boob forgot that he needs to watch what he eats for health reasons.

In the fundie world where the likes of David Rodrigues, John Schraeder and David Waller have wives and children, I think that John David might be a catch. I don't think that he would allow his quiver to live in a RV or pop-up camper and definitely would not be as controlling as TFDW.

However, some men seem to be confirmed batchelors. I can see JD living in his house and playing Call of Duty on the computer while downing a six pack of the local brew.

• Love 6

You submit to a visionary by going along with every crazy idea he has, no matter the consequences to the family.

Well, that's pretty much happened, hasn't it? Exhibit A: Tinker Toy House. 

Smuggar often wears a sweatshirt of a bible college that's local to his hometown area. I forget the name, offhand, but that's probably what it was. Yet another school that no Duggar will ever attend. They shipped Joe off to Clown College over that place for crissakes! 

(edited)

I fell asleep during this episode and woke up to Cathy getting stem cells? Isn't that rather liberal of her?

I doubt embryonic stem cells were used, I'm sure she wouldn't go for that.  Most likely, she had an autologous stem cell transplant.  Before she starts cancer treatment, her own blood or bone marrow is harvested, and the stem cells are removed and frozen.  After the cancer treatments are over, the stem cells are returned.  I think very few people would object to that, unless they were following religious convictions that prohibited it.  I don't think even the Duggars would have a problem with it, judging on how much medical intervention they allowed Josie to get.  I'm sure she was given donated blood many times after she was born.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 2

So Michelle is trying to pimp out her son, eh? I noticed when she said, "John David and Jana are 25" it sounded like she was saying they were 65. She must think 25 is super old, to not be married and have at least one kid. Where is Jana's advertisement? Oh, of course they don't want Jana to get married. How would anything get done around the house?

These episodes are putting me to sleep. I didn't even watch the second one. I did find one moment between Ben and Jessa hilarious, though. He's going on and on about all the people he invited to the wedding - "I invited this dude at the grocery store. And this guy I helped move". Jessa - "Well, you better go buy an extra box of hot dogs". 

Now that's classy right there. 

• Love 6

Hot dogs at your wedding reception -- why am I not surprised? I can't wait for a Duggar to get married and keep the guest list to under 200 and do it un-fundie style and no small children in attendance.

• Love 1

Ok, was it just me, or were both of these episodes just "totally" boring? I guess there really just isn't much more to say about this family; engagements, weddings and babies don't happen every week, how much can TLC continually drag out those preparations in a season? Oh, the "Christian mingle" infomercial about JD was a classic statement! Great posting...I thought the same thing, they were trying to sell him to some nice submissive Christian virgin girl out there...PLEASE come and get him ladies!

I was quite annoyed with Jill...again. When Cathy was talking about her stem cell treatment and Jill was stuffing her face with her no bake cheesecake, why was she laughing? It was not a 'happy smile", but laughing at Cathy? Just seemed to wrong..Jill, IMO is also uncomfortable in her own home; she looked no more relaxed in showing us her "great baking skills" as when derickdillard was approving of her recipes in the last episode..Jill is just uncomfortable outside of Chez Duggar.

I don't like Jessa's "flip' attitude about everything..either this girl has some serious PMS going on; or they are asking her to play up her neutrality on everything...

I am seriously concerned about Mac and Mike's verbal non-skills. Those two children are mostly not understandable when they speak.Some serious speech therapy is in need there, also with Jordyn and Josie; why they pair those two off away from their immediately older two sisters is beyond me; Jordyn looks to Josie for skills and vice versa; neither has any command over these things...so stunting in my opinion.

Why does Josh feel the need to make sure his kids learn how to play an instrument? They will never do anything real with it; as those kids begin to multiply,, Anna sure isn't going to drive them for lessons anywhere and a private in your own home real life music teacher will charge "big bucks"; quite expensive for a pass time hobby. We all know that none of Josh's kids will make any career out of music nor will they "be in a BAND" and by band he can only mean a church choir...

I see Michelle as growing increasingly uncomfortable in front of the camera although she loves it being all about herself. I think they do read ALL of these postings on the internet about themselves and she is quite aware of the criticism she receives....

Do we have to watch an episode about Michelle and her revisiting her "past sinful life"? Since Jim Bob saved her from this sinful existence, why does she think it is "ok" to fellowship with these sinners? She obviously disapproves of what she and they experienced in high school together? I would, however, like to see how Jim Bob comes across when having to "wade in this pool of sin" and hang out with those people from MICHELLE'S past?

I also think Michelle felt underlying awkwardness and embarrassment in saying that John David and Jana were 25 YEARS OLD...she knows they are held back, but her own selfish laziness and inability to run her own family and household keeps her from freeing Jana...whom she is heavily dependent on.

Overall, a bad situation getting worse by the season. Can't wait to read more of your observations!

Good point about Jinger being able to drive to the heavily advertised White's Jewelry store all by her little self! I bet her chaperone was in the store, just not photographed; ala Jana in the RV with Josh and Anna.... if she indeed was allowed to go there by herself, why didn't they clarify that since they are aware of the lifestyle rules they put out there in the first place?

Also,since when is the dashingbenseewald/ a male, allowed to call Jinger/a female, privately on their cell phones without a group call or Michelle "listening in"" Yet another liberty not explained...

• Love 3

When is someone going to tell all those Duggar girls to get rid of that hair when in the kitchen? Jill and Jessa's hair has long passed the point in which it just doesn't look good anymore. I would like to turn them both upside down and wash the floor with them...Michelle included.

I am so tired of those kids climbing on everything in that house; especially the kitchen..they simply aren't clean or hygienic...I would think of all of them bathed daily and washed their hair appropriately that septic system would have backed up a long time ago and often, but they don't. That RV sure is referred to correctly; the stink bus..I'm sure it carries a permanent aroma of some sort. Yuck.

• Love 1

I cringed at the food prep because all I could think of how dirty feet have been allowed to walk all over the counter.

And I couldn't focus after JosieGrossie kept picking her nose. Can't anyone teach that child that that is something you do in the bathroom with a tissue?

Why was Jinger alone when she went to meet Bin at the jewelry store?

• Love 2

I thought Derick and Jill were rather evasive when Cathy made the remark about them visiting her in Omaha. There was an awkward silence like they were both thinking up an excuse as to why they couldn't make the trip. Followed by them mentioning Skype. If that's not a brush off I don't know what is.

• Love 6

What a fool Jim Boob was to go against JD's request that, for safety reasons, he stay in the car during the traffic stop. Now of course the whole thing was probably a TLC set-up and not a real stop, but still.

Yep, definitely advertising JD the Bachelor. No thanks, I'll pass.

Josh is definitely hoping that one day the kids will start a band so they can tour around at wall the proper fundie events. But I will at least give him credit for seemingly being an involved father.

Once again, Josie's speech in the talking heads is just not right for her age. Sigh.

I am sure it was a TLC stop but STILL

Traffic stops are REALLY REALLY dangerous for police officers.( many get shot pulling people over)

JD should have been pissed. A moment of distraction on a stop could lead to death or serious injury or even just the guy getting away. 

• Love 2

I try to keep up with this forum, but there are so many posts......so I apologize in advance.   Was John David really in a mental hospital? and whats the meaning behind the nick name.

TIA

-Leave it to Jim Bob to make an ass out of himself on the ride along. When an officer tells you to stay in the car, you stay in the car. And John David decided to go check out what was happening with the traffic stop. Did the other officer ask for assistance or was he trying to prove his special, amazing, law enforcement skills to the single ladies out there.

-I felt uncomfortable with the Derick, Jill, Cathy scene. Why do they need to remind the viewers about Cathy's illness? There is a time for privacy. Wait, I forgot who I was posting about.

Too bad Jim Bob didnt get caught up in a violent shoot out.  Shot dead with powered sugar all over his face.  The family would of been paid twice, once by TLC and then by Cops.

Years ago remember when Jim Bob wheeled his half dead father out to the table for cake?     These people do not care about anyone, they only care about money.      Care about Cathy?  lol

• Love 2

Or, as MarysWetBar so eloquently put it, JD the "Hillbilly Bachelor". 

I so bet the Duggar phone errrr Christian Mingleline has been ringing off the hook now that they have put JD up for courting.

I try to keep up with this forum, but there are so many posts......so I apologize in advance.   Was John David really in a mental hospital? and whats the meaning behind the nick name.

TIA

It's from the movie 'Sling Blade" It's about a slightly mentally challenged man who was sent to the state mental hospital when he was a child for murdering his mother and her lover. The movie begins when he is older and is being released into society, despite not really having the social skills to cope. John David reminds me of this man, in both looks and social graces.

• Love 4

I was cracking up when Michelle was trying out the excavator. She looked so out of her element it was just hilarious to me.

BTW, for anyone who has kids or grandkids up to ages 12-13, there is a real amusement park based on equipment just like  this in Berlin, NJ. It's called Diggerland, USA and my older son worked there on college break last summer. We took our 16 year old and his friends and they enjoyed it..worth the trip if you live within 50-75 miles of the Philadelphia area. But I agree this episode was a huge ad for John David. Surely, there must be some fundie girls that they know from their circle of friends and homeschool groups who think he'd be a great catch...maybe it's John David who isn't into any of the girls that Jim Bob is trying to find for him
And yes, Jim Bob was an ass in the ride along. Stopping for donuts, sheesh .

• Love 1