Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Invites and Ride-Alongside

I decided to look up the police and sheriff departments where the Duggars live. Yes, I know I have no life esp. since I am home sick for the second day this week. JD is one of three constables in Washington County (1st District Constable.) There is a sheriff department, and I think there are six full time police officers and twelve reserve/volunteer officers in the Tontitown Police Department. How many people live in the county and why the need for some much law enforcement? I have no clue.

Washington County also includes Fayetteville (U of A) and Springdale. 2010 county census report was around 203,000.

• Love 1

Wowsers!!! This explains the need for volunteer/reserve officers. The county I live in has around 40,000 plus citizens, and we do not have enough full time/volunteer/reserves police/sheriff/fire department/EMTs to cover the need.

Next week Michelle says she used to make herself sick after she ate. Who wants to bet she never got any therapy for that? Who feels sorry for her, now?

I thought Jim Bob came in and save her from her heathen crazy evil ways.

Is that available in his hometown? I don't see a Duggar moving for a job when they are still single.

Our city doesn't have non-volunteer firefighters (but it is competitive to be a volunteer), I figured Tonitown was similar since he is a volunteer firefighter.

No, but he could apply in Rogers, Fayetteville, Springdale, & Bentonville -- all within about a 30-45 minute drive from Tonitown. They work 3 days on 4 days off and vice-versa, I believe...so there's no problem commuting.

Just read that article. I can see why we haven't heard of it before. Josie was just born prematurely and Josh was expecting Kynzie. TLC had plenty of storyline and plots. But I do think it's really cool that they helped and I agree with the poster that said JD spoke confidently and clearly.

JD may be portrayed as a doofus but I think when it comes to his job he is all about business. He is in that line of work.

Quick question, I remember a while back it said that he owns his own house. Is that still true? I wonder if he even stays at the TTH, we don't see him much.

P.S. I hope he meets a cute girl at a traffic stop. I think on the job is how he will meet someone like Whitney and Zach :)

• Love 1

JD may even be eligible to apply as a police officer in one of the larger surrounding cities. However, he would still need to apply himself to get physically fit as it is also physically competitive.

JD would not qualify for our county police department, as it requires each applicant to have competed 4 years of college at an acredited university -- lol, that I even have to qualify that.

• Love 2

Tontitown is only a bit over 2000 so the size of their force is fine.  Fayetteville has their own police force.  

We live in a town of 7700. There are twelve full-time police officers on the force here.

Being physically fit is fine and dandy in law enforcement and emergency personnel field aka fire fighting, but a person has to be able to have a good knowledge of human nature and being able to handle people at their worse. He could have to deal with a female who might be rank higher than he is or might be part of the team who trains him or trains with him. He cannot expect his sisters to be there to say "nike" when he sees a woman who is not covering herself up from top to bottom. Plus the fact, the exams he would need to take are hard. I do not think his at the table home fooling studies would cut it. He also could not have the attitude of it is fun to trash a honeymoon vehicle. And yes, JB was acting like an ass on the ride along, but JD is the officer who would be responsible for how the person behaves because it reflects on the whole department and the tax payers may not find it amusing.

He would need to leave his or should I say his family's religious and political views at the door. His family's behavior aka Derick's catgate may reflect poorly on him because he would be in the public eye more, and people expect more from law enforcement officers in their professional, and in a way, their private lives.

I am not saying it is not possible, but he will need to grow up, become a lot more mature, and not let JB, TLC, and Gothard run his life.

JD may even be eligible to apply as a police officer in one of the larger surrounding cities. However, he would still need to apply himself to get physically fit as it is also physically competitive.

JD would not qualify for our county police department, as it requires each applicant to have competed 4 years of college at an acredited university -- lol, that I even have to qualify that.

Do you think the Firefighting/EMT courses offered at ALERT would count? (Asked in jest)

• Love 1

I think the main reason JD isn't married is because he doesn't want to be -- either not yet or not at all. Sure he's a doofus and kind of ugly. BUT there are fundie dads out there (like Pa Keller) who'd dance the jig if the Duggar's second son came calling -- with his own house, a pilot's license, making money in construction, AND a volunteer cop. To us -- we think -- he works construction here and there; is still a pilot in training (always shown flying with someone else I believe); and a volunteer cop is far from the real thing and can't just join a paying PD. But to an uneducated fundie with 9 kids living in a 3 bedroom house who has 6 girls to marry off, I think they'd be salivating at the possibility of a young man from a wealthy fundie family that has "so much" at such a young age. While I think most girls wouldn't find him attractive (esp given that there are fundies out there looking like Chad Paine and Ben), I bet there is more than one girl who could put his looks aside bc she is dying to get out of her trailer with 9 siblings and wants to start her own family instead of cooking and cleaning for her siblings all day and would also be blown away by his "wealth" -- i.e. a whole house for just 2 of us to live in!?

I don't know if JD travels with the family as much now (though I think he does) -- but certainly in the last 5 yrs he's gone to lots of book tours, fundie political rallies, and homeschool conferences -- so the fundie girls and their dads know who he is, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few have put some feelers out there through JB and JD has said no. It has been said before that he is friendly with Zach Bates (apparently Zach leaned on him when his first girl broke up with him); knowing Zach's story, it's possible JD is thinking he can meet a fundie lite girl in town somewhere as opposed to marrying a fundie like Anna in an arranged marriage and having to deal with a wife who wants a kid every year until she can't anymore. Though if he wants to meet someone on his own -- I suggest he start working on his looks and personality . . . a waitress in town who earns her own paycheck and is maybe going to school is not going to be as enamored by a 35 yr old looking pudgy, dorky guy just bc he has a house and works construction -- as a fundie dad would be.

• Love 2

Not disagreeing, but I do think it's worth mentioning that in Duggar world, the Keller girls were as much, if not more of the "royalty" than the Duggars. Priscilla, after all, is married to Gothard's hand picked successor and The father has strong ties to the board. As far as I know, Josh and Anna's wedding was much more Gothard Fundy (and in my opinion classier than either Duggar wedding).

I do think it's true that the Duggars have moved away somewhat from Gothard in the past few years. But when Josh married Anna, I think the Duggars felt he was as lucky as she was to get him.

Being physically fit is fine and dandy in law enforcement and emergency personnel field aka fire fighting, but a person has to be able to have a good knowledge of human nature and being able to handle people at their worse. He could have to deal with a female who might be rank higher than he is or might be part of the team who trains him or trains with him. He cannot expect his sisters to be there to say "nike" when he sees a woman who is not covering herself up from top to bottom. Plus the fact, the exams he would need to take are hard. I do not think his at the table home fooling studies would cut it. He also could not have the attitude of it is fun to trash a honeymoon vehicle. And yes, JB was acting like an ass on the ride along, but JD is the officer who would be responsible for how the person behaves because it reflects on the whole department and the tax payers may not find it amusing.

He would need to leave his or should I say his family's religious and political views at the door. His family's behavior aka Derick's catgate may reflect poorly on him because he would be in the public eye more, and people expect more from law enforcement officers in their professional, and in a way, their private lives.

I am not saying it is not possible, but he will need to grow up, become a lot more mature, and not let JB, TLC, and Gothard run his life.

You are 100% correct on every point. The written test and psychological interviews are brutally hard. And yes, he would have to leave his religious doctrinisation at the door and show that he has an open mind with negotiation skills when dealing with the general public.

• Love 1

I do think it's true that the Duggars have moved away somewhat from Gothard in the past few years. But when Josh married Anna, I think the Duggars felt he was as lucky as she was to get him.

I get the impression that the Duggars are Fundie royalty. The Seewalds and Kellers seem to be in awe of them.  When Mr. Keller visited his daughter in DC, he seemed impressed with her lifestyle.  I remember him marveling at the fact that she had "four bathrooms - four", considering she grew up in a home that had one bathroom for eight (?) people. 

That could all go up in a puff of smoke if Josh can't maintain his position and back to AR he goes...living in a humble home with one or two bathrooms and being cramped for room and trying to eek out a living to provide for 4 kids and a wife who's determined to double the size of their family.

I thought Jim Bob came in and save her from her heathen crazy evil ways.

She has credited both Boob and prayer in the past. 

IMO, she had disordered eating, not an eating disorder. Those usually require therapy with those pesky professional people with advanced degrees that they only use when absolutely necessary (and a couple of the professions - counselor and doctor - that Boob can't appropriate to BLESS his family). 

smh

• Love 2

Thanks for the info on their intervention after the car accident. That does give me a more well-rounded (and better) view of JD - I watched their specials, but only followed the show occasionally during courtships (Josh's, then Jessa's and Jill's had me watching a full season for the first time) and births. So I haven't seen a lot of JD since the earlier specials, and he less than impressed me last season.

I do wish that the articles in my google results mentioned Grandma getting tickets for a) having a six year old in the front seat with an active airbag, b) having the front-seat passenger unbuckled (is Arkansas one of the few states where that's legal?), and c) the combination of A and B. SMDH.

Josh and Anna had an "arranged" wedding?

Not the way it sounds, just semi-arranged compared to how it's typically done in non-fundie US culture. I think they met at the ATI conference the Duggars went to every year, and Josh told JB that night that Anna was the one for him. Then their dads/families orchestrated family get-togethers and such, Josh waited on Anna's dad to pray about their relationship ship, and they got engaged. They were young (both 20 when they got married?), long distance, and their getting to know each other required parental assistance/maneuvering/support, but I think Josh focused on Anna all on his own (...the same day they met) and JB helped things move forward with the Kellers after Josh expressed his interest.

I still think JD has had a failed courtship. That's why he has the house and why he was able to talk to the Bates boy who had one. Maybe he didn't want TLC to let anyone know until it was confirmed?  There was a time when everyone was noticing that we didn't see much of Jana and JD and were hoping at least one was courting.

• Love 4

What if JD wants to be a confirmed bachelor or chooses not to get involved with anyone at this time? Is this "permitted" in their culture or will he constantly be barraged with candidates from Boob? Like we have commented, isn't the girl's father or family the one to seek out someone not vice versa? Or is it as it was Josh's case, Boob & MEchelle pushed for the marriage since Josh was getting mighty horny? Seems to be different for the girls since we have learned Jill was supposed to pray away the normal feelings she was having.

• Love 1

IF JD had a failed courtship wouldn't he be considered damaged goods? Isn't that how poor Zach was treated when his first courtship failed? NO one wanted him to court their daughter so when he met Whitney she didn't see him as a man with "baggage" since was wasn't raised in the Gothard cult.

Keep in mind that the Duggars weren't terribly supportive of Josh and Anna moving to DC while the Kellers gave them their full support. I'm sure some of Mr Kellers reaction was, "See? I was right!"

• Love 1

The Duggars stated recently that John David is not in a courtship nor has he ever had one.....I think I'd be embarrassed as a 25 year old adult if my daddy made a public statement about me like that ....and it was true! This man is very behind in his development socially speaking and that isn't a good thing because marriage does nothing in that department..it keeps those fences up and there is no room to grow because all decisions have already been made...you simply grow older.

• Love 1

Keep in mind that the Duggars weren't terribly supportive of Josh and Anna moving to DC while the Kellers gave them their full support. I'm sure some of Mr Kellers reaction was, "See? I was right!"

So Josh sought out and got the job on his own. I always thought it was somewhat through his dad/family name.

I'm sure his name helped. But I think it is pretty clear JB wasn't in support of Josh going. Not only in the advice given, but also the passive aggressive "moving" episode where the Duggars leave Josh and Anna high and dry for a day.

I do think that Jim Bob doesn't like being shown up by his own children. And one area of life where he has outright failed has been politics and any type of career in DC. He's simply too much of a clown to be taken seriously in DC circles. It must have stung to see his son actually land a real position there. And he might have landed that with as much pull from people like the Keller/Wallers as from his father.

• Love 7

I think John David has had several "getting to know you" arrangements that never made it to courtship.  He's had photos with a series of young ladies being with the Duggars or Bateses while he was there and then they have all fallen off the radar.  Technically he wouldn't have ever been in a courtship, but he may have tried to develop a relationship a few times.  Of course, it could all have been nothing more than happenstance, but the series of young ladies being seen several times each makes me think things didn't work out.  At least he's been spared a broken courtship.

• Love 2

I think John David has had several "getting to know you" arrangements that never made it to courtship. 

I agree.  Given the way the Duggar boys matter-of-factly asked Ben if Jessa was his first courtship, led me to believe that some of them had been down that road before.

I feel a little more charitably toward JD, I guess. I think he's a naturally shy guy who really hasn't had any opportunities to come out of his shell; it's not as though his parents arranged playdates or enrolled him in preschool. He's not particularly good-looking, but he seems quiet and kind. I wish he, like Zach Bates, would meet a nice girl at a Sonic and cultivate some semblance of a normal life.

• Love 4

I feel a little more charitably toward JD, I guess. I think he's a naturally shy guy who really hasn't had any opportunities to come out of his shell; it's not as though his parents arranged playdates or enrolled him in preschool. He's not particularly good-looking, but he seems quiet and kind. I wish he, like Zach Bates, would meet a nice girl at a Sonic and cultivate some semblance of a normal life.

I would love for one of the Duggars to have a chance meeting with someone.

• Love 2

I don't think a fundie family wants him. I think the Duggars aren't as popular in their fundie circle. JD isn't that attractive. For 25 he's immature. In the real world he would probably have real experiences and travel, have friends, go to school but he's waiting for a spouse. I can't imagine a Duggar bot courtship getting as much attention as a Duggar daughter courtship. That's the only reason why the show is doing well because people want to see how the girls might differ from their parents.

• Love 1

So Josh sought out and got the job on his own. I always thought it was somewhat through his dad/family name.

I've never heard anything about Josh seeking the FRC job on his own. It was my understanding that the FRC came to him, as a member of the Duggar family. Do we KNOW that it was Josh's doing?

• Love 1

What if JD wants to be a confirmed bachelor or chooses not to get involved with anyone at this time? Is this "permitted" in their culture or will he constantly be barraged with candidates from Boob? Like we have commented, isn't the girl's father or family the one to seek out someone not vice versa? Or is it as it was Josh's case, Boob & MEchelle pushed for the marriage since Josh was getting mighty horny? Seems to be different for the girls since we have learned Jill was supposed to pray away the normal feelings she was having.

How are these parents made aware that their kids are getting "mighty horny?" I've heard this about Josh, Bin, Jill. . . most of us felt that way but I sure never let my parents know about it.

• Love 2
(edited)

No. The male has to express interest to his father about the female. Girls in this culture basically have to sit around praying for the "one that God will bring to [her]." Anna illustrated that in the engagement episode by saying that she was the last one to know about the machinations going on before she and Smugs were ever allowed to even "get to know" one another, if they even had that period. They may well have jumped straight to courtship; things seem to have worked differently before filming of the series went live. We, the audience, were not privy to their relationship before the engagement. 

I agree with the theory that there have been one (or more) girls brought in to "get to know" JD. Anna Hackel (who ended up being in Jessa's wedding party) springs immediately to mind. She "nannied" for the Duggars doing the book tour for the second book (trip to Niagara Falls, etc). Tabitha Paine (Chad's older sister) has been seen at the Duggar compound a lot of late, and the Duggar plane has made several trips to Oklahoma where the Paines live; it was even there on Christmas Eve. Dr. Paine led the "pray-in" at the Duggar compound on NYE. Tabitha may be approaching 30, but I think she may be earmarked for JD right about now. So the show wasn't really lying, and if anything is going on now, well, we're currently seeing footage that is almost 6 months old. 

eta: I just remembered right after I hit send that there was another girl, known as maisespace (or something close to that) on Instagram who was often seen in pictures with the Duggars, and posted plenty of her own. The tabloids caught wind of her, and began to suspect that she may be JD's girlfriend. She found out about the media attention, and she responded by going private with her social media. Since Joe is at Clown College, he won't be available for a while; I don't think that students are allowed to be engaged and live in the dorms (which all out of state/immediate-area students must do there). 

Keeping an eye on the plane helps track JD's movements better than social media these days. :D

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
(edited)

This episode was a big snooze.  Though I was semi-watching it, I did pick up the part when JB was talking about John David, having said something like "well, he's not dating anyone or courting"..... he quickly realized his mistake in saying the word Dating, covering it up with the word Courting.  He wants us to believe that the boys do NOT date, when perhaps they actually do (like Zach Bates did), rather, he wants us to believe that they Court only, because they are so pure. 

Edited by Pasha Kitty
  • Love 1

How are these parents made aware that their kids are getting "mighty horny?" I've heard this about Josh, Bin, Jill. . . most of us felt that way but I sure never let my parents know about it.

This family has no secrets with each other. I'm sure the parents were made aware, whether from the child themselves or a little snitch.

We don't know how Josh got the job, but my point is that I'm doubtful that it was Jim Bob who was helping open doors for him. First, Jim Bob has alienated a lot of political doors that were once open to him. Second, it seemed clear on the show that JB wasn't happy about the move in multiple ways, and I really don't think he likes having his children outshine him.

I'm sure Josh's name was a big deal. But if you think about what his job is - to go into these various Fundy subcultures - then his wife's name and his sister-in-law's married name is JUST as important as his name. He needs personal access into those groups, and all those names help him (As does Bates, and the people they are marrying and even Seewald - they are all connected.) What he didn't need, surprisingly, was Jim Bob making connection for him.

And I don't think a Fundy family wants John David either. Keep in mind how controlling the fathers are. Do you want to hand your daughter over to Jim Bob? Probably half of them think they aren't righteous enough any longer, since they made so much money and appear on the godless TV, and the other half think he doesn't really have authority of his family - look at how those kids run all over the place! The younger ones aren't even blanket trained!

• Love 2

I will be going on a ride along with police officers for nine hours on the 14th. I hope I get a junior officer sticker like Jim Bob did so we can share this awesome, special, blessful, season of life moment together.

I will be going on a ride along with police officers for nine hours on the 14th. I hope I get a junior officer sticker like Jim Bob did so we can share this awesome, special, blessful, season of life moment together.

It will be surreal i bet. *wink*
  • Love 1

March 3, 2015: "Tonight the Tontitown City Council approved a volunteer fire dept that will work split shifts with the Fire dept already in place."

So maybe he has been volunteering in Springdale & not Tontitown?

Why am I picturing JD as one of the Village People- policeman, fireman, construction worker? Just need to get him an Indian costume.

• Love 4

Please do not insult Native Americans by saying JD should get an Indian costume. He is already an embarrassment to the police officers and firefighters/first responders community.

And yes, I do feel old because I can remember the Village People.

Please do not insult Native Americans by saying JD should get an Indian costume. He is already an embarrassment to the police officers and firefighters/first responders community.

And yes, I do feel old because I can remember the Village People.

I agree w/u on the first part, because it's patronizing for anyone to dress up in an ethnic costume, if they aren't of that background.

However, I disagree w/u on the 2nd part because how do we know that he's an embarrassment? It's already been shown that he did CPR on a little girl. An embarrassment to police & firefighters & military would be someone who's grafting or womanizing.

• Love 2

I think the notion of Michelle spending time with her kids is still laughable. Also I am literally three minutes into this episode and I agree with you guys on this being John David's Bachelor episode. "Look! He has a job! Snatch him up quick!" What was cute was when the producer asked the random howlers (Jason and James?? Are they even howlers? I always forget the age range.) what they thought about John David teaching Michelle how to use the excavator and he said "he can do that!?!" Me too, kid.

Also who was the girl who said "expectations ruin relationships"? Johannah? (How do you guys keep them straight? I just can't, but then again I don't try THAT hard) How young do they start them? How can a relationship not have expectations? I like how their invites turned out though. Jessa and Ben are an attractive couple.  

I think Cathy is doing well now, which is nice. Honestly I'm proud of her.

Kenzie (Kynzie???) is just so cute. So are Michael and Marcus. I'm sure DC is suiting them. (Except for Josh who just looks old)

Are those Junior Police Officer stickers for children? I can see this being fun for like Jackson through to Jordyn, but not a grown man. That is embarrassing I can't watch because of second hand embarrassment. Wouldn't they enjoy going to a sports game or something together???

(I'm really sorry. I started typing this as I started the episode and I just didn't stop.) 

• Love 1

I agree w/u on the first part, because it's patronizing for anyone to dress up in an ethnic costume, if they aren't of that background.

However, I disagree w/u on the 2nd part because how do we know that he's an embarrassment? It's already been shown that he did CPR on a little girl. An embarrassment to police & firefighters & military would be someone who's grafting or womanizing.

How many volunteer firefighters have their sisters go with them on calls because he may be defrauded by a hussy female in need, or how many volunteer police officers think it is alright to trash a rented vehicle at a wedding. Part of the reason why he is in firefighting or police work is because his daddy and Gothard okayed him to do so. Of course, lets us not forget the JD is available episode from last week. I cannot imagine a  25 year old volunteer going up to the police chief and asking him or her if it will alright for daddy to do a ride along with me because he wants to prove he is a great daddy and to show the world what a great catch I am and can we tape it for our television show. To me, this screams professionalism. *rolling eyes* And yes, he may have done CPR on a little girl, but hundreds or thousands firefighters and law enforcement officers do this on a daily basis without the credit, a thank you or their names in the paper because their parents decided to parade their children on television for fame and money.

Expectations ruin relationships? Really Duggar girls? Isn't that what your relationship "book" was filled with? Expectations and requirements of yourselves and your suitor? Expect them to be virgins, expect them to accept chaperones at all times, expect them to be "your Christian choice", expect them to like and love spending all their time with your younger siblings when courting and expect them not to mind Josie spilling milk on you...? Expect him to ask your daddy if he can hold your hand after asking daddy if it's ok to be engaged to you?  Aren't these expectations? They are full of it or they are too blind and brainwashed to recognize contradiction after contradiction....Is it just me?

• Love 8