Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Roles: Outside the SSR

For those of you unfamiliar with Bridget Regan playing kickass female roles, here's a look at her Kahlan Amnell character on Legend of the Seeker:

Edited by tv echo

I know the run of the (first? - I hope it's first) season is nearing its end, but I wanted to start this to talk about Hayley Atwell as Kathy Etchingham iin Jimi: All is By My SIde.  She was great, though it was odd seeing her not defending herself as Agent Carter would have done.

Also saw Ralph Brown (Dr. Ivchenko) in a mini-series called Babylon from the UK.  He was playing Grant Delgado, whose title was - I think - London Deputy Mayor.

Interestingly enough, they were each joined by an AOS cast member: Ruth Negga was in Jimi & Nick Blood was in Babylon.  Both were good productions, I thought.

No spoilers for Agent Carter.

Enver Gjokai is best known for his breakout role of Victor, one of the dolls on Dollhouse. He also had an arc on Witches of East End last year, which woefully misused his talents (sadly, Agent Carter did the same, imo). I also remember him guest starring on Person of Interest as a mafia hitman.

Bridget Regan was female lead on Legend of the Seeker and had assorted guest roles and mini-arcs here and there since then.

I've only seen Chad Michael Murray on Gilmore Girls ages ago, but he's best known for One Tree Hill which I've thankfully never watched (I've heard a lot of complaining about this show and him as an actor on it).

Lyndsey Fonseca had a role on the recent Nikita reboot - she played Alex, a spy and a Russian heiress. She was my favorite character! She was also Ted's daughter on How I Met Your Mother flash-forwards.

James D'Arcy just finished a run as alleged child killer Lee Ashworth in season 2 of Broadchurch - it's been all kinds of weird watching him in that and this side-by-side over the last few weeks, creepy and menacing in the one and then prim, starchy and well-intentioned in the other!

• Love 1

Bridget Regan was on Season 5 of White Collar. So I already saw her play a sweet and innocent woman that was really a stone cold killer. Which is why I pegged Dottie as the big bad right away. 

Chief Dooley (Shea Whigham) has been in a lot. Boardwalk Empire, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Wolf on Wall Street, True Detective. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Since this show started, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of Hayley Atwell's performances. I really like her Mary Crawford in Mansfield Park (though I'm probably not supposed to) and I had no idea that she was Bess in The Duchess. But my favorite, so far, is her episode of Black Mirror.

She's a woman mourning the death of her lover, who finds a way to interact with him through technology.

It's not the most original storyline, but her performance is really moving. I'm so used to her playing these strong, worldly women that is was shocking to see her so fragile. I kinda wish it were a full-length movie, rather than a single episode.

Next on my list is Pillars of the Earth and Brideshead Revisited.

Also, I'm embarassed to admit how long it took for me to realize she plays the older version of Peggy in Captain America: TWS. I just assumed they hired a different actress.

I admit the only reason I'm at all interested in seeing the live-action Disney Cinderella is to see Hayley Atwell as Cinderella's mom. Watch the trailer, and you'll notice she's hardly recognizable if you've only ever seen her as Peggy.

• Love 2
I admit the only reason I'm at all interested in seeing the live-action Disney Cinderella is to see Hayley Atwell as Cinderella's mom.

Her MOM? Isn't she... too young? Or is it flashbacks (considering Cinderella's mom probably died before the start of the movie)?

Edited by FurryFury

I admit the only reason I'm at all interested in seeing the live-action Disney Cinderella is to see Hayley Atwell as Cinderella's mom. Watch the trailer, and you'll notice she's hardly recognizable if you've only ever seen her as Peggy.

Holy crap. Now that you pointed it out, I watched the trailer again. You're right! I never even noticed! Wow. So different as a blonde.`

Since this show started, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of Hayley Atwell's performances. I really like her Mary Crawford in Mansfield Park (though I'm probably not supposed to)

Oh, hey, thanks for that. I was so traumatized by the first Mansfield Park that I never realized there was a new one. And IMDB tells me Jarvis was Tom Bertram, and the Doctor's Rose was Fanny? I have to see this movie.

I think Jane Austen would have been OK with you liking Mary Crawford. I suspect she liked her better than Fanny herself.

• Love 1

It's funny that Hayley Atwell is only seven years older than the actress who plays Cinderella.

Not really, I mean, the plot goes that she dies when Cinderella is a small child.

Oh, hey, thanks for that. I was so traumatized by the first Mansfield Park that I never realized there was a new one. And IMDB tells me Jarvis was Tom Bertram, and the Doctor's Rose was Fanny? I have to see this movie.

I think Jane Austen would have been OK with you liking Mary Crawford. I suspect she liked her better than Fanny herself.

What? Hayley Atwell and Billie Piper? I'm in! Now to just find it somewhere.

James D'Arcy just finished a run as alleged child killer Lee Ashworth in season 2 of Broadchurch - it's been all kinds of weird watching him in that and this side-by-side over the last few weeks, creepy and menacing in the one and then prim, starchy and well-intentioned in the other!

I finally watched Broadchurch (both seasons) this week, and wow, does James D'Arcy play a completely different character. Who is this guy that looks like Jarvis but sounds and acts completely different? I also enjoyed his role in Mansfield Park. I appreciate an actor who can be so different in various roles.

And I watched the Black Mirror episode with Hayley Atwell this week, too (I'm just tearing through the British TV shows section of Netflix). 

I tried to watch Jupiter Ascending a few weeks ago, and I think he played Mila Kunis' father. It was really distracting to watch him and Maria Doyle Kennedy (if I'm not mistaken) try to speak Russian.

(edited)

Hayley Atwell played the young Eva in Restless, a two-night miniseries on the Sundance Channel in 2012.  Also starred Rufus Sewell and Michelle Dockery (who played the daughter of the old Eva in present day)...

A young woman finds out that her mother worked as a spy for the British Secret Service during World War II and has been on the run ever since.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Not sure if this is the right thread, but the Agent Carter showrunners will be taking over the Captain Marvel comic book for Marvel later this year

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/agent-carter-showrunners-anka-take-command-of-captain-marvel

For those that are not familar with Marvel's Captain Marvel, this is not the one that says "Shazam!" (DC now owns that Captain Marvel) but a superhero with Kree-based powers (yes, the same Kree as in Season 2 of AoS) whose real name is Carol Danvers.  The Danvers version of Captain Marvel is scheduled for an MCU movie in July 2018.

• Love 1
For those that are not familar with Marvel's Captain Marvel, this is not the one that says "Shazam!" (DC now owns that Captain Marvel) but a superhero with Kree-based powers (yes, the same Kree as in Season 2 of AoS) whose real name is Carol Danvers.  The Danvers version of Captain Marvel is scheduled for an MCU movie in July 2018.

Having grown up reading the "Shazam!" Captain Marvel comics, that is really confusing.

I saw Testament of Youth earlier this week, a film adaptation of Vera Brittain's memoir about the First World War.  It took me a minute to recognize Hayley Atwell, who's rather de-glammed and plays Vera's boss when she becomes a field nurse.

Saw both Hayley Atwell and Dominic Cooper in The Duchess last night.

DC has a freakishly tiny head or was fitted with a really bad wig. It was odd to look at.

I finally saw Shea Whigham on True Detective. 

Edited by Aoife

Brett Dalton is the voice of one of the characters in a new video game called "Until Dawn", which a lot of YouTubers are currently playing.  If you go looking for it, be warned that it's a horror game, and it's pretty gory.

The voice actors' faces are used for their characters, so they're pretty realistic.

Other actors in the game include Hayden Panettiere from "Nashville" and Rami Malek from "Mr. Robot".

Until Dawn is awesome, seriously. Though his character's supposed to be, what, 18? It was a little off-putting.

I have been rewatching the earlier (good) seasons of NBC's Community, and Enver Gjokaj showed up in an episode playing Britta's warlord boyfriend. In the commentary Gillian Jacobs (Britta) mentioned they'd worked together previously on Person of Interest.

You know, I totally forgot that Enver Gjokaj was in The Avengers. He's in a scene with Captain America during the Chitori attack. He's a Police Officer too. Makes me wonder if he's related to Sousa or if he is just guest appearinwg as a random character that has no relation to the Agent Carter canon.

You know, I totally forgot that Enver Gjokaj was in The Avengers. He's in a scene with Captain America during the Chitori attack. He's a Police Officer too. Makes me wonder if he's related to Sousa or if he is just guest appearinwg as a random character that has no relation to the Agent Carter canon.

In my headcanon he's Peggy and Sousa's grandson :DDD

• Love 5

I finally figured out where I've seen Wynn Everett (Whitney Frost) before: she played a villain in an episode of The Mentalist. (In which she hypnotized on of the main cast, and the general consensus on TWoP was, "That's NOT how hypnotism works...")

• Love 1

Chad Michael Murray is making the most of pilot season.

Agent Carter’s Chad Michael Murray is set to star as rock ‘n’ roll pioneer Sam Phillips in Million Dollar Quartet (working title), CMT’s upcoming scripted drama inspired by the Broadway musical. Jennifer Holland (American Horror Story) will play Sam’s devoted wife Becky Phillips, while Margaret Anne Florence (Inside Amy Schumer, 30 Rock) is set to play his assistant-turned-girlfriend, Marion Keisker. Production begins this spring in Memphis with the series slated to premiere this November on CMT.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/chad-michael-murray-star-million-dollar-quartet-jennifer-holland-margaret-anne-florence-cast-1201720147/

I saw a trailer for Hayley's new show and was not left with a positive impression. Makes me even more sad that Agent Carter was cancelled. :-( It's also not as fun hearing her use only an American accent. 

• Love 2

There's a mini cast reunion (or their voices at least) in the episode of Kevin Probably Saves the World that is airing tonight.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/kevin-probably-saves-the-world-agent-carter-reunion-1202665820/

It all started with a playful idea. When working on an episode (entitled “Caught White-Handed”) that was going to see Tyler (Dustin Ybarra) having a fantasy sequence in the kitchen, Butters and Fazekas thought that some of the food he was working with would talk back to him. From there, it was another bout of creative inspiration to then get some of their “Agent Carter” actors to voice the various pieces of food.

“Everyone is all over the world, everyone has different jobs, and this is something that is really easy to do,” says Fazekas. “Even if you’re working, even if you’re somewhere halfway across the globe, you can go to some facility, record a couple of lines and leave. It’s not a big commitment, so that’s sort of also what made it ideal.”

So James D’Arcy voices a pat of butter on an English muffin, Enver Gjokaj embodies a milk carton, and Wynn Everett plays a pancake.
“They all share our appreciation for the ridiculous, and I think that was helpful,” Butters says.

Adds Fazekas, “I also think that if we told them tomorrow that they were going to let us do an ‘Agent Carter’ mini-series, they would all sign up for it.”