Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: No More Blood

thewhiteowl

Screw Olivia and her Gladiators. I want to see Abby, Lizzie and Mellie team up. Now that would be a force to be reckoned with.

But I am glad Olivia turned Fitz and his great big war down. If she though that was hot and ended up in bed with him...I would be done. Done!

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

God, I'm so naive. When Huck injected Andrew I snorted and scoffed, "Well, when he wakes up he can just tell them who did it."

Again, I'm so naive. Wonder what you use to put someone into a stroke. But if anyone would know, it would be Huck. Or Jake. Or ..............

Not looking forward to the Olivia PTSD BS.

Speaking of which, after the hellish experience of being kidnapped and held for ransom - Olivia isn't taken to a hospital, no work-ups, tests, being held for observation - NOTHING? Ok, show. 

And what kind of hostage gets to wear a fashionable trench and 5 inch stiletto heel boots?

UGH

• Love 5

Huck and VP: no one will notice a needle mark ON HIS NECK?  Stroke related to his earlier bomb injury?  WTF?

I could easily see his doctors missing a needle mark on VP's neck when they have no particular reason to go looking for it.

It should also be remembered that nobody bothered to do a full autopsy on prior VP's husband, who was obviously stabbed or beaten to death (I forget which). And in How to Get Away With Murder, the medical examiner missed that the murder victim was pregnant! So Shondaland does not have the brightest medical professionals outside of Grey's Anatomy. 

• Love 2

What's so unfortunate about this whole thing is that Fitz's initial response to it all was to refuse to go to war. That would have nipped this all in the bud. Andrew wouldn't have any leverage, the auction never would've come to fruition. No soldiers would've died. It was Mellie who convinced him that he HAD TO save Olivia. Mellie who supposedly cares more about the Presidency and this country than anything else -- except, apparently, her husband's twoo wuv. This show.

This was exactly what I was thinking. She basically needs to have Secret Service protection, except in Scandal-world, we can't trust the Secret Service.

Also, sidelining the VP does nothing to figure out if someone was pulling his strings and who. It seems to me improbable that he came up with and orchestrated a virtual coup on his own.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the "I wasn't raped...but I found out there are worse things than rape." convo. I think rape survivors would have every right to be pissed off about it. I also think that while it's true that there are many worse things than rape, finding out that this president sent people to die in your name is probably not one of them. No doubt, it's dishonorable, unethical and probably criminal. But I'm thinking it would be far worse than the abstract knowledge that people were killed because your significant other made a choice to give in to terrorists. 

I think feeling responsible for the deaths of dozens and soldiers - and knowing that a war was fought over you - could be worse than being raped.

God, I'm so naive. When Huck injected Andrew I snorted and scoffed, "Well, when he wakes up he can just tell them who did it."

Again, I'm so naive. Wonder what you use to put someone into a stroke. But if anyone would know, it would be Huck. Or Jake. Or ..............

Not just a stroke, but a stroke that would guarantee that the victim is unable to communicate in any way ever again!

• Love 2

I could easily see his doctors missing a needle mark on VP's neck when they have no particular reason to go looking for it.

I let all that go. This isn't CSI where they find a piece of string in a garbage can and they scream "THE MAN WAS MURDERED!" I can see Doctors missing a needle mark they aren't looking for especially when someone else like Lizzie is standing there telling them a convent and believable lie. Plus we are now going to get fun bonding between Mellie and Lizzie which is so much better. A girl can dream. Girl time, Please.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

It seems as though ABC is being less restrictive and now allows fired cast members to guest star (if they've been a good boy and he public forgets). Isaiah Washington guested on Greys Anatomy recently. Now Henry Ian Cusick? Perhaps Harrison will return from the dead next season.

The actor that plays Stephen was fired?  Why?  And has the show/Shonda ever elaborated on what was supposed to be going on between Stephen and Abby?

This show has made me never want to even visit Vermont. It's a shame because I heard it's pretty there.

Also in Fitz little rant of all the things he was willing to give up for Liv I laughed when he mentioned Mellie.  Dude never cared about keeping her so don't act like divorcing her would've been some great loss to him.

Edited by Dusty
  • Love 5

Olivia doesn't really IMO seem to feel guilt about the deaths of X number of soldiers. What she expresses mainly is disappointment that the Great Fitzgerald Grant showed that he did not live up to his greatness when he gave in to the terrorists, and therefore did not recognize the sacrifices that she and others had made so he could remain in office and be great. Which of course leaves me wondering, when did he ever live up to his supposed greatness? 

• Love 5
So Andrew is in a stroke forever, Lizzybear can never wear  backless dresses but will have power, and Mellie can be president.

I still don't get why we're supposed to accept it as a matter of fact that the Presidency is within Mellie's grasp. Being the First Lady to a philanderer does not automatically turn Mellie into Hillary Clinton, who by the way, hasn't become President. Yet.

And to be sure, the incredibly overrated Mellie is no Hillary Clinton. Far as I can tell, the only area she beats the former Secretary of State is in bad hairdos. 

• Love 3

Speaking of which, after the hellish experience of being kidnapped and held for ransom - Olivia isn't taken to a hospital, no work-ups, tests, being held for observation - NOTHING? Ok, show. 

It was far more important that she get to the hairdresser, based on what we saw after her release.  Perfectly coiffed. 

And seriously, all this took place within a week?  Papa Pope said "I'm been gone a week".  I thought she was in the hole for weeks. 

• Love 2

When did this show become a comedy? ABC should move this to their Wednesday night lineup. I know the line readings in this show have gotten progressively more ridiculous with EVERYONE giving the. aNNOY. ING. CadENCE! But I haven't laughed so hard over dialogue delivery since the previous night's "French swimming panties!" on Blackish. Cyrus's fake quitting tirade was hilarious! This poor actor. Shonda must be like, I know that last time you were really angry, but now you're REALLY really angry! So Cyrus has to dial it up from 10 to 11...and by now he's on 37! Yet, I have to admit that I didn't mind Papa Pope this week. Maybe because after listening to everyone fail miserably at their dramatic speeches I was able to at least appreciate that he pulls it off the best, so when he said something to the affect of, I've only been gone a week and you already lost my daughter?! I genuinely laughed at the line and not AT him, like I did with everyone else.

I dozed off...I think briefly...and awoke when Steven met Liv. Did he buy her or just infiltrated the hand-off? But now we know why they mentioned him last week! I thought it was just about the office! But, no, Chekov's gladiator!

• Love 7

I stopped watching this show last season and sporadically watched this season.  I see nothing much has changed, especially Papa Pope's rants.  Personally, I think the man needs a good bj--that would stop him in mid-rant.  I'd love to see that.  

Sadly, If this was the first of such scenes between Olivia/Fitz, then I would be hopeful that this twisted love thing between them was over.  If so, that would make this whole B613 and hostage storyline actually matter long term.  Of course, like Papa Pope's long winded rants, I have a feeling that Olivia/Fitz will rear its head like a scab on one's knee.

With that said,last nights episode finally convinced me that season 4 is truly the season of Abby.  She's the one that actually saved Olivia (little does she know that Olivia's motivation for fighting was due to Abby) and the bonus was seeing a return of Stephen.

It's funny to see that Quinn is a puppy to Huck, Huck is a puppy to Olivia.. and I think Olivia is a puppy to Stephen.  Stephen was kind of Olivia's moral compass in season 1, I think.  In a way, Abby views herself as a puppy to Olivia.. while Olivia views herself as a puppy to Abby in a way.  I think the dysfunctional connections between the group of gladiators would be fascinating to watch as they solve multi episode cases (not a fan of case of the weeks.. but a case that spans two to three episodes would be nice.. like we saw in season 4A).

Lastly, I like that Mellie took care of the problem with The Vice President.  Sometimes you have to delegate job duties to accomplish this as we saw with Elizabeth and Huck

• Love 1

I normally like this show and don't mind that it is batshit insano crazy. I don't need all my tv to be equal. Sometimes insano is fine and dandy. I like most of the characters and kinda understand what the Olivia kidnapping arc was trying to say. Even she was not worth going to war over. Even though the President loves her her life is not worth more then the life's of the countless soldiers who died in a war that would never have been fought otherwise. I understand that was the point. I just don't think it worked. Now if this is the end of Olivia and Fitz romance I will Change my opinion.

Edited by Chaos Theory

As idiotic as last night's show was, in it's favor was that it finally ended this terrible kidnapping story arc.  However, since inquiring minds want to know, here's few questions/thoughts"

- Uh, President " I can bang Olivia Pope whenever I want", you may have your sole reason for living back but you still have this little residual problem.  You are engaged in an active ground war in a foreign country and have already suffered significant casualties.  So how exactly are you going to worm your way out of this without being savaged by the families of those soldiers who died in your little 'no sacrifice is too great to get me laid" adventure.

- Andrew was only the front man for what appears to be a vast conspiracy to possibly overthrow the government. This cabal includes the Secret Service, elements of the military, defense contractors who profit in wartime and a lot of the employees of the Executive Branch.  What to do, what to do?  I know.  Since this is Shonda Land, we'll just not mention it again because we have no clue as to how to write our way out of this mess of a story line.

- Why didn't Jake just cap Roman's evil ass?  There has been nothing that Jake has wanted more than to see Roman taking a permanent dirt nap.  Better than anyone, he knows that as long as Roman is alive, he is always a potential threat. 

- If Quinn buffs up anymore she may be able to enter the Mr. Universe contest.  Good lord, she has bigger shoulders than I do!

• Love 1
Guillermo Diaz's performance is just laughably bad at this point.

They really needed to cast someone who has more than one expression (bugging out his eyes) and who does not speak in the same stilted manner no matter whether he is telling someone the time or describing what he feels when he rips someones throat out. 

I know bad acting seems to be the overall mode for Scandal, but Guillermo Diaz makes Kerry Washington look like Viola Davis in comparison. And just to be sure, I consider Kerry Washington to be the second worst actor on TV, after Diaz. 

Kerry gets the second worst tag because she has two expressions (sneering and sniveling) to Diaz's one. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 2

At the end of show, when the CIA director lady was interrogating Liv, Liv had a flashback seemingly due to the glass of water which reminded her of the glass of water in her cell.  Was there something significant about this that I'm missing?  Did the CIA director remind her of someone or something?  There was a quick montage of faces and scenes and I thought maybe it was more than just a regular flashback.

Edited by Gemma Violet

I hate the CIA lady she should have neutralized the asset.

I missed something there, but does the CoS have the authority to speak for the President on drone strikes?  Or was Cyrus just exercising his prerogative to countermand the CIA commander?

Meanwhile, did Jake teleport over to Kenya?

Canada, not Kenya.  Prescott Lake, Ontario: 510 miles from DC.

Doesn't matter.  Professor Smartbrain says that teleporting is impossible.

Let's just take Olivia back to her apartment

And I'm pretty sure a deadbolt secured with #8 woodscrews is not really a deterrent to a kidnapper enamored of a $2 billion prize.  Speaking of which, again, I may have missed something, but, for all the professionalism of the kidnap, Olivia was basically being held by a bunch of frat brats?

I was hoping an alligator or something would come up the bank

(As Poppa Pope breaks into an old Boy Scout song)  Oh. No. He's. Up to. My. Toe.  Oh, Gee. He's. Up to. My. Knee.....

• Love 3

I wouldn't have minded if Olivia had gotten killed. Her crew could back to coverups for hire without her and they wouldn't even have to change the name. No presidents, no auxiliary governments, just celebrities trying to maintain their reputations. I'd watch that.

Unfortunately, i expect the writers to contrive some crisis that requires he and Fitz to get back together.

• Love 1

I think I'm done* 

I was tired of Huck in season 2. I just don't see what else they can do with this character. Originally, I thought he was going to have some sort of redemption arc. Now, I'm not even sure that's possible. 

Fitz & Olivia have had some variation of the convo they had in this episode since the beginning of the series. Shonda needs to put them together or split them up for good. 

*Although I say that every week, and every week, I watch. I think I just watch so I can come here and bask in the beautiful snark.

• Love 4

For the first time since midseason, I can say I really liked something.  Not the episode, that continues to be a hot mess in general and I'm sick and tired of talking about it.  But there were two good moments this time.

I really liked Stephen saving Olivia.  It literally was saying that the show was good once, and the character that left and avoided all the stupid plot and characterization that came since then is still awesome and maybe, just maybe he can bring Olivia Pope back.  Then the promo promised a complete change of pace from the utter dreck we've been dealing with.  I shall not get my hopes up.

• Love 1

I am so glad this whole kidnapping thing is over.  Olivia and her golden vagina.  Did love how Stephen was the "buyer".  Her dad cracked me up with his rant at the lake.  I just loved how she put the president in his place too.  Who goes to a kidnapped victim's home to have sex just after they return.  The guy is delusional.  I am very close to never watching the show again.

It's time for Olivia Pope to dump both Fitz and Jake and go back to being the Fixer again!

Yes, yes and yes!  The best part of the series is when we met other people who needed fixing.

• Love 2

Papa Pope has me totally confused with saying he's only been gone a week. What about those endless bathroom trips we saw Liv take in "prison"? It looked like that was supposed to signify the passage of weeks, maybe months, but it was actually only a couple of days? What were they feeding Liv that she apparently had to take a dump every 10 minutes?

Huck is pointless and can leave anytime. Replace him with Abby and Lizzie. A new OPA with Liv, Quinn, Abby and Liz. 

• Love 5
I missed something there, but does the CoS have the authority to speak for the President on drone strikes?  Or was Cyrus just exercising his prerogative to countermand the CIA commander

I would expect not, but maybe the CIA person just thought Fitz was being such an idiot he wasn't worth being listened to.

But I agree that everyone involved in those meetings now knows about Fitz and Olivia.  Honestly, I can't believe that hasn't been leaked already.  Fitz and Olivia are not exactly good at playing things under the radar. Fitz's staff knows to always let Olvia in when she shows up or to pass along her calls.  And they must hear some of those passionate fights.  No one would be so loyal that gossip doesn't get out.

And seriously, all this took place within a week?  Papa Pope said "I'm been gone a week".  I thought she was in the hole for weeks.

I thought he was saying that he'd only been gone a week when she was taken.  But I could have misheard that.

I laughed my ass off during Papa Pope's speech.  That has got to be the world's first extended bloviating monologue about FISH.  Yesiiree.

All this talk about how Liv is safe with her new 6 locks, all the while standing in front of a large set of glass windows that I believe China, Iraq, Uzbekistan et all would know how to blow out in order to recapture her.

Looking forward to seeing what Abby will do with his new power over Cyrus. By the way, when are we seeing his new piece again? (boy not hair)

Edited by WhineandCheez

I think I am done with Scandal. It makes no sense, Liv makes no sense. She is angry because he tried to save her life by any means necessary. I wonder her reaction if his stance was "I don't negotiate with terrorists" which would have caused her demise and thus she would not have had a reaction. Guess I have answered my own question. But I think it would have destroyed him to lose her if he did nothing. Sigh.

Of all the shit Fitz has pulled in the name of what Fitzgerald Grant calls love for Olivia, saving her life is (for this week) the line in the sand? Yet the fact that Fitz flew the mission that supposedly shot her mother down barely got three lines.

I'm so confused. :/

• Love 2

Of all the shit Fitz has pulled in the name of what Fitzgerald Grant calls love for Olivia, saving her life is (for this week) the line in the sand? Yet the fact that Fitz flew the mission that supposedly shot her mother down barely got three lines.

I actually give them a small measure of credit for trying to explain why this was the line in the sand.  Case in point Cyrus's fantasy resignation and Olivia's rant at the end having pretty much the same dialogue.  The other thing specifically put in for that purpose is Olivia flashback to being broken while in captivity and asking Fitz to declare war to save her.  Olivia is pissed not just because Fitz declared war but because she asked him to and that makes her feel responsible and she lives inside the fiction of being a gladiator and that fiction is broken.  Duress or not, the fact that Olivia made the plea to Fitz will be their out that wipes the line in the sand away..

• Love 2

Yet the fact that Fitz flew the mission that supposedly shot her mother down barely got three lines.

Just think how I feel. I'm still waiting for Olivia to find out that Fitz was the one who revealed her identity as his girlfriend to the media at the end of season 2.

• Love 3

The beginning confused me.  It would only work if the Iranian lady didn't speak English, but she very clearly spoke English!!!

How does Liv lying about the plans of the Iranians work if at least one of them can understand what she's saying?

Just think how I feel. I'm still waiting for Olivia to find out that Fitz was the one who revealed her identity as his girlfriend to the media at the end of season 2.

With all the insanity that's happenedsince,I honestly forgot about that little gem.

I hate Fitz.

• Love 2

Just got around to watching this episode (thank you, OnDemand) and I don't know what to think.

Cyrus' chewing out Fitz was fantastic.  Too bad he didn't have the balls to go through with it.  So we had two "Reason you suck" moments -  one overt, one covert.  Liv's was better.  In fact, she showed restraint in not beating his dumb ass right there and then.

Who was Jake's commanding officer in boot camp?  Eric Cartman?  'cause that's what I thought of when he was going on about "licking tears".  Wonder if he ever said "The tears of pure anguish.  Yummy!" while he did it.

And I'm sorry, but Huck is one kill away from having to get the "Ol' Yeller" treatment.  Call in Carol from The Walking Dead, she's had experience in such matters.

And, just when thought we'd be free of him forever, Papa Pope returns.  Fuck.

And, since I'm a new viewer to Scandal, who is Steven?

And evil Vice-President is worse than dead.  Good.

Oh, and Liv's hamburger is ruined.  Apparently things don't catch on fire in the Scandalverse.

• Love 1

The beginning confused me.  It would only work if the Iranian lady didn't speak English, but she very clearly spoke English!!!

How does Liv lying about the plans of the Iranians work if at least one of them can understand what she's saying?

Beyond that, Olivia's plan only works if both groups believe in the honor of people that buy and sell people for billions of dollars.  The reaction, at least from the Iranians (as I do believe that Liv's kidnapers were morons), should have been a shrug that indicated they planned ahead for the possibility of a double cross to get the money and keep Olivia. 

And that whole crew is going home in body bags for failing their mission.  I highly doubt they had the authority to decide for themselves to abort.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Liv was very adamant that the president would "stop at NOTHING" to get her back, including paying any amount of money. She didn't bat an eyelash at the thought of him crippling the American economy over her auction. I mean, where did she think he'd come up with $2B?! So then to be all indignant--how DARE you go to WAR over ME! WTF, Liv? Isn't that. What. You WANTED. What. You. NEEDED! What you KNEW would HAPPEN! (Jesus christ. Thanks a lot, Shonda! Now I'm ranting in a ridiculous cadence like every one of these characters!)

• Love 3

Olivia is so annoying by this point. She has repeatedly held it over Fitz' head that she stole an election. FOR. HIM.  She did all this FOR. HIM!!!!!!! How dare he not live his life the way she wants him to FOR. HER!!!!!

Fitz didn't ask you to steal an election. You and your cronies did that on your own. In fact, he was so upset by it that he broke it off with you for awhile when he found out about it.  Don't act like your felony was for his sake and now he's indebted to you.

Fitz is an idiot to let Mellie drive him into war over this, but for Liv to act like he owes her is ridiculous.

On the Mellie topic, the only thing from this storyline that would have been cool in its own way is if we learned that Mellie was working with Andrew on engineering this war, and that's why she pushed Fitz into it.

Edited by deaja

And, since I'm a new viewer to Scandal, who is Steven?

In the first season, Steven was one of Olivia's associates. The subplot with him was that he used his looks and charm to get info and help Olivia fix things. Abby seemed to have romantic interest in him. He left the firm because he wanted to keep his fiancee happy and devote himself to her. 

That may have been the last we heard about him until tonight. I'm not sure why he is now fixing things for the Russians, but apparently he is, so whatever. 

Olivia is so annoying by this point. She has repeatedly held it over Fitz' head that she stole an election. FOR. HIM.  She did all this FOR. HIM!!!!!!! How dare he not live his life the way she wants him to FOR. HER!!!!!

Fitz didn't ask you to steal an election. You and your cronies did that on your own. In fact, he was so upset by it that he broke it off with you for awhile when he found out about it.  Don't act like your felony was for his sake and now he's indebted to you.

Fitz may not have asked him to steal an election, but he sure as hell didn't come clean about the fact that the election was stolen. He (or his minions) made David Rosen the AG of the United States to keep him from revealing that the election was stolen. He smothered a Supreme Court justice to make sure she didn't leak that the election was stolen. 

And in terms of breaking up with Olivia, that lasted for what, 5 seconds?

Sure, he hemmed and hawed about it. But at the end of the day, Fitz kept the power that he knew he didn't deserve. And yeah, he is indebted to Liv, Mellie, Cyrus and the rest of them. 

• Love 4

In the first season, Steven was one of Olivia's associates. The subplot with him was that he used his looks and charm to get info and help Olivia fix things. Abby seemed to have romantic interest in him. He left the firm because he wanted to keep his fiancee happy and devote himself to her. 

That may have been the last we heard about him until tonight. I'm not sure why he is now fixing things for the Russians, but apparently he is, so whatever. 

Fitz may not have asked him to steal an election, but he sure as hell didn't come clean about the fact that the election was stolen. He (or his minions) made David Rosen the AG of the United States to keep him from revealing that the election was stolen. He smothered a Supreme Court justice to make sure she didn't leak that the election was stolen. 

And in terms of breaking up with Olivia, that lasted for what, 5 seconds?

Sure, he hemmed and hawed about it. But at the end of the day, Fitz kept the power that he knew he didn't deserve. And yeah, he is indebted to Liv, Mellie, Cyrus and the rest of them. 

I disagree.  Should he have come clean? Probably. But that would have left Sally president (theoretically - she wasn't technically elected as VP either, so who knows what would have happened).  That along with the fallout would arguably be worse for the country than just going along with what had already been done.  The co-conspirators, including Liv, would be in jail.  I don't see how he owes them for keeping them out of jail.

I would have to assume that if Fitz announced that he and Sally were elected under false pretenses, there would be no way for Sally to stay in office. Even if she were brazen enough to try, she would be impeached. 

And that's if Fitz publicly announced what happened. He certainly had the option of not seeking a second term quietly. 

Anyway, even if for whatever reason one thinks that Fitz doesn't owe them for all the stuff that they did to make him president in addition to the actual fixing of the election, Fitz certainly owes them a hundred, a thousand times over for keeping every dirty little secret and every scandal as quiet as possible, up to and including the fact that he's a murderer. 

• Love 1

Slight nitpick, but if someone has the education to end up in the situation room, one of the 'finest minds' according to Cyrus, would you really call the United Kingdom 'England'.

Wait, another slight nitpick. Olivia was press secretary, why did she have top secret clearance?

• Love 1
I'll pass on a friend's comment:  It's pretty bad when Olivia speaking fluent Farsi is the most believable thing that happened.

You know, that is one of the few things I really liked in the mess that was the last few episodes. 

I binged watched Season 4 this weekend.  I think I'm in right episode, but it is all a blur.  I was very confused about Fitz' security detail being overrun by the VP.  Can any one shed some light on that?  I see this thread hasn't active in months....but I eagerly await a reply :) 

I binged watched Season 4 this weekend.  I think I'm in right episode, but it is all a blur.  I was very confused about Fitz' security detail being overrun by the VP.  Can any one shed some light on that?  I see this thread hasn't active in months....but I eagerly await a reply :) 

I'm not sure there's any logical explanation for it, other than it being the sort of Scandal plot contrivance you have to hand-wave in order to enjoy the show.

• Love 2