Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Where Are They Now? Penny and Tara

• Start Topic

Edgar is totally a beaten man. Watch him as they eat their cereal! And Penny thought it was some how cool to mention using Sprite for her liquid in the cereal at the hospital.

Ok, the Sprite comment got to me, too.  How innovative!  Next stop:  guest blogger at Goop!! She works from home (bed)!!!  You've come a long way, baby..

In Penny's episode last year, they had moved to Texas for the surgery. I think it showed them moving back to Maryland at the very end. Penny's bed has to be near the kitchen so she can cook. o.0 And supervise all food-related activity that goes on in the house. She's just a regular mom, y'all.

She's posted pics of more of her recipes on Twitter, including veggie soup with ham. I shit you not.

Hell no.  Penny has to be the last source I'd go to for recipes. Nutrition value aside (which always seems to be the case for Penny), I'm guessing that her favorite soup is nice and salty with little to no actual flavor of either the vegetables or the meat.  Yum.  (Mind you, I love a deliciously rich, fresh homemade soup once in a while.)

A couple random observations:

This may have already been said somewhere in this Penny saga, but that bed/kitchen/bathroom immediately brings to mind Kramer's kitchen/shower/garbage disposal and recovering germaphobe episode of Seinfeld.  (Now I know it's a niche market, but I'm wondering if I could go somewhere with bed meets kitchen sink and prep station design..)

"Where's my yellow brick road?" is going to be my new whine/cry when the world turns on me.

Forget Jinger; free Liam.  It was a small moment in the scheme of his parents stealing his childhood, but seeing her just lying there, arm outstretched and waiting on that boy to take her bowl for what was probably the 100k+ time just broke my heart.  This shit is going to be expected of him for the rest of his life if he does not get away.  That woman will manipulate and guilt him into believing he'll kill her by leaving that God forsaken nest.  That is by far the sickest part of this whole mess. I honestly do not give a shit about Penny at this point, unless she pulls an impossible 180.  Edgar isn't far behind.  I know a lot of kids grow up in shit environments (some far worse sadly), but this one is playing out on tv.  :(

Edited by LunchBreak
  • Love 8

Not that I'm giving Penny any credit, but I think that the packets were Equal, or whatever the "blue" sweetener is. The idea of anything that sweet makes me retch.

Bananas on her cereal were more than enough but hey lets add chemical sweetener to our already full of garbage  cereal. Ugh! (Not aimed at you, but at her).

• Love 1

I was cringing the whole time Penny was on. I am not buying that she lost 230 pounds.

I think her husband is going to end up snapping, I can't imagine him putting up with her for years. Also I hate to say it, but it won't be long before her little boy starts being embarrassed of her. He is not going to want to ride with her on her wheelchair around the neighborhood.

Tara has a nice family, her mother really is great. I am happy for her success, what a contrast between her and Penny.

• Love 1
Also, those cereal bowls were HUGE. Those were 3x what a normal cereal bowl is. Were those salad bowls?

There's no way Penny's stomach is still reduced from the surgery.  She probably stretched it back out and then some.  From what I've seen, most people with the bypass can't eat 1/10 of what she ate.  Didn't Dr. Now once scold someone for drinking carbonated beverages?

I try hard to find good in everyone if possible, but I'm stumped with Penny.  Even the therapist was fed up with her and calling her on her bullshit was gold.

• Love 4

I think Dr Now scolded Zsalynn, and there might have been a clip with one of the patient liaisons (Mary Ann or possibly Melissa) explaining how painful carbonation can be.

The only thing good I can think about Penny is that in the first episode, her siblings seemed pretty earnest in her defense that she protected them from their violent, abusive parents, but even now, I wonder if Penny is manipulating that story for her benefit. See? She's such a negative entity that I'm doubting nice things about her.

Yep. He scolded her because she tried to tell him she was eating healthy and she had a diet soda. I remember being really annoyed at how she dragged her young daughter into that conversation, asking her in front of the doctor, "All mom had was a diet soda, right?"

I don't think he's a feeder, or at least not in the kink sense--if he were, I think he would have pitched a fit a la Gareth. I think he's sort of like the male Nissa--Penny was perhaps a little different when they met (whenever that was) and maybe they met through church or something respectable, and got married for various reasons. I mean, it's possible they're in some folie a deux, but I think their relationship is fairly straightforward: Penny is manipulative, Edgar is a decent person, Penny takes advantage of Edgar and berates him or otherwise erodes any sense of decisionmaking on his behalf. 

If I remember Penny's first episode correctly, they met at a bar. Penny was heavy (they showed pictures) but not where she is now. My personal analysis is that Edgar is a "fixer" and Penny is having a constant crisis. She made him feel needed. However, he seems absolutely frustrated and I do wonder how much longer it will last. 

• Love 3

I don't think he's a feeder, or at least not in the kink sense--if he were, I think he would have pitched a fit a la Gareth. I think he's sort of like the male Nissa--Penny was perhaps a little different when they met (whenever that was) and maybe they met through church or something respectable, and got married for various reasons. I mean, it's possible they're in some folie a deux, but I think their relationship is fairly straightforward: Penny is manipulative, Edgar is a decent person, Penny takes advantage of Edgar and berates him or otherwise erodes any sense of decisionmaking on his behalf.

The quote from Edgar, during the first show is: " When we starting dating she was around 450 pounds. I didnt have a problem with that." --- "I met her at a restaurant, standing in line at the bar."

;-)

Was I the only one to see all those clothes and think what a waste of money?  I don't care what she said, I don't believe for one minute that those shirts fit her.  Do we ever see her wearing any of them?

Edited by MrsClaus
Does Edgar not have any friends or family that can give him a pep talk?

I vote for that horrible British bitch, Katie, from Fat and Back. Drive her snooty ass to Maryland and dump her on Penny and Edgar's doorstep. And make sure that TLC is there for the fireworks. I can't stand the way she humiliates and fat shames, but Penny is prime example of someone who just may deserve it.  

I hope that they have some close relatives. Sweet Liam is a young child. His mother is delusional and bed ridden, and his father is exhausted and brow beaten. Edgar is going to end up having a heart attack. When I saw him struggling to push Penny (with Liam sitting in her lap), I was disgusted. Put that child DOWN and give your husband a SMALL break, you selfish twat. Liam is too young to realize that his father is laboring, but Penny should know. Liam is quite able to walk on his own. Put him down, or get your ass out of the chair.

I have all sorts of sympathy for people with weight loss issues, and most of these people on My 600lb Life have to deal with abusive, clueless and/or enabling relatives making their weight loss journey even harder. But this woman got FREE surgery on the tax payer's dime, and she's pissing it away by not even trying to make it work. WTF?

OMGosh - y'all have to Google "rocklynn group." It looks like a bad translation from another language into English.

OMG. What business would trust them? Their opening paragraph is a grammar FAIL. 

"We have formed our new adventure we have become Rocklynn Group."

I think you're missing a period, guys. This should be TWO sentences, not one. If this is the opening sentence on your website, you're going to lose anyone that stops by in the first 30 seconds.

"Our goals are simple to provide our customer’s with the tools they need to best gain customers and to keep them."

Punctuation is your friend. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5

It might just be my years of Lifetime movie addiction talking, but I fully believe that Penny is capable of walking and always has been. Prior to TLC exposing her for who she is, she probably got a lot of sympathy from her community, family, and church for being "bedridden" and "oxygen dependent." If she gets her life together, she's not going to be on the prayer list every week, she's not going be on tv, and she's not going to get sympathy sales for that cheap, piss stained jewelry she makes. This is a game to her and I guess Edgar doesn't see it.

• Love 2

Was I the only one to see all those clothes and think what a waste of money? I don't care what she said, I don't believe for one minute that those shirts fit her. Do we ever see her wearing any of them?

I thought she wore that black one when she was getting ready for Halloween. Remember them showing her curling her hair and asking Liam a question as he is standing by the window? (They took it out of the SuperSized showing.)

I noticed, this time around, that the look of happiness she had when the nurse came, changed from giddy to a "I want you gone!" attitude when the woman mentioned that she was going to get Penny up and walking on her next visit. Haha

Edited by lilacgirl

"Nobody liked my post on the Previously.TV forums........... "WHERE'S MY YELLOW BRICK ROAD!!!!!!!!"

There you go. A brick to begin your yellow brick road. hahaha ;-)

Edited by lilacgirl
  • Love 2

On the episode I saw (Supersized), it said Edgar worked at an auto parts store.  He comes home on his lunch hour to help Penny with her bathroom needs.

See, that's the kind of info that should be in the regular episode, not just the rerun/Super Sized. I'm not going to sit through two airings of an episode on anyone just to get all the information they should have given in the first airing.

• Love 6

I've been doing this all week.

OMG! Let's make this a THING!!!! I am going to start doing this immediately!

ETA: I caught that Edgar has to run home from his job during lunch to help Penny go to the bathroom. (She's a 500 pound puppy.) She's doing sooooo much better! LOLOL! 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 3

The jug of milk sitting on the bed made me think that Penny was going to have seconds, thirds and maybe fourths. I think she ate Cheerios on camera to look like she was eating a "healthy" meal but the 3 packets of sugar kind of killed it. Also, those cereal bowls were HUGE. Those were 3x what a normal cereal bowl is. Were those salad bowls?

For those of you old enough to remember, the bowls were Jethro bowls.

I've been doing this all week.

We're out of coffee.... "Where's my yellow brick road?"

The DVD from Netflix is scratched... "Where's my yellow brick road?!!!"

Nobody liked my post on the Previously.TV forums...........  "WHERE'S MY YELLOW BRICK ROAD!!!!!!!!"

If I had been Dr. Now, I would of told her its right underneath you because you wont get out of bed to go to the bathroom you lazy and delusional P.O.S.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

My dream show would be Penny Visits the Duggars.  

They serve Tater Tot Casserole for dinner and she eats 2 of the industrial size pans.

She then explodes like Jaws in Jaws 2 and the Duggars have to re-name their show 19 Kids, No Parents  (due to tater tot shrapnel)

• Love 2

See, that's the kind of info that should be in the regular episode, not just the rerun/Super Sized. I'm not going to sit through two airings of an episode on anyone just to get all the information they should have given in the first airing.

I agree with you.

The first new info we see made me laugh."Penny claims that regardless of her weight loss, she will need to be on oxygen for the rest of her life." Why didn't the nurse or a Dr. arrive at her house with an o2 tester? To continue on oxygen a Dr has to write the script out. Right?

Edited by lilacgirl

She'd get out of bed if she didn't have the laptop. Edgar - get a desktop computer. set up across the room and I bet you she woud learn to walk again.

The laptop may be just the thing that does get her out of bed...the way she had it sitting on a pillow is a great way to start a fire since it blocks all the laptop's venting.  Bet she'd move pretty quickly if her lap was on fire!

• Love 1

The laptop may be just the thing that does get her out of bed...the way she had it sitting on a pillow is a great way to start a fire since it blocks all the laptop's venting.  Bet she'd move pretty quickly if her lap was on fire!

Nah, she would just start bar-b-queing some ribs.  

• Love 7

I agree with you.

The first new info we see made me laugh."Penny claims that regardless of her weight loss, she will need to be on oxygen for the rest of her life." Why didn't the nurse or a Dr. arrive at her house with an o2 tester? To continue on oxygen a Dr has to write the script out. Right?

I think it goes along with her disability check and she's found a doctor who does the, "So, how are you today? Still no improvement? Ok, I'll get the order for your new oxygen tank sent to the med supply company. You should be able to pick it up tomorrow" thing. I know in some areas they aren't hard to find. 

• Love 2

My dream show would be Penny Visits the Duggars.

They serve Tater Tot Casserole for dinner and she eats 2 of the industrial size pans.

She then explodes like Jaws in Jaws 2 and the Duggars have to re-name their show 19 Kids, No Parents (due to tater tot shrapnel)

Bwah! That is so sick, twisted and hilarious! I keep picturing the howlers screaming and picking bits of taters and Penny off their faces.
  • Love 1

Bwah! That is so sick, twisted and hilarious! I keep picturing the howlers screaming and picking bits of taters and Penny off their faces.

There wouldn't be any bits, cause Penny would make Won-tons out of it.  

OMG

I just found this on Penny Saeger Facebook under her likes.  Who the hell likes Duncan Hines?    Most of her likes are other foods (if you can call it real food)

https://www.facebook.com/penny.saeger

She probably "liked" them to get a heads up on the latest coupons. You know, so she can spend money on things for the church pantry :P

EWW. So on the 12th Penny posted a recipe for a cheesy burrito casserole. One of her friends commented "probably looks better on the way out than in". But that recipe shows just how she really is eating. There's no fresh fruits or veg in that greasy, cheesy, fat filled recipe.

• Love 2

Okay, I actually read some of her Facebook posts, and dear god that woman in delusional! She actually said that she left 40% of her body weight back in Texas. I mean the only way that I can imagine that happening is if she had a conjoined twin that no one knew about that Dr. N removed when he did her surgery. I swear I want to punch her. And let me tell you, I have recently lost about 60lbs and unfortunately, have a little extra skin hanging from my stomach. As we all know, if she had lost that much weight off of her massive body, she would need a shit load of skin removed. Plus, the bitch can't spell to save her life.Okay, rant done.

And let me tell you, I have recently lost about 60lbs and unfortunately, have a little extra skin hanging from my stomach. As we all know, if she had lost that much weight off of her massive body, she would need a shit load of skin removed. Plus, the bitch can't spell to save her life.Okay, rant done.

Not sure what happened to my previous post, it won't let me edit.Sorry. :)

• Love 3

I was amused by the homework scene in the supersized episode. "I can do so much more now!" quoth she, claiming that her incredible weight loss allows her to help her kid with his homework now. I fail to comprehend how a 35-pound loss (oh sorry, it was actually 200 pounds, wasn't it?) somehow improves her elementary math skills. Or was she previously too weak to pick up a pencil? Or was it just that the boy wouldn't fit into the toilet/bed with her?

I would like someone to ask her how she has verified that she's down to 400 pounds. She doesn't get out of bed. She doesn't appear to have one of those nifty beds with a built-in scale. So does she just "feel" about 400 today? Is this similar to her ability to judge calories just by looking at the food?

• Love 3

There is no way she has maintained that 35 pound loss. She can't weigh herself. She is just guessing and hoping when she talks about her weight. I'd bet that she is back to her original 530 lbs. or higher. 

I find it so funny how she seems to talk about herself on twitter as though she is some kind of Domestic Goddess - cooking, planning meals, couponing, and raising her kid. She does none of those things on her own. Hell, she couldn't even get the newspaper off of the front step so she can get the coupons without another person to help. She picks her kid's clothes out each morning and dresses him? oh yeah.... right after she wipes her own bottom. 

ETA: How on earth did she avoid getting blood clots after her surgery if she doesn't move? I thought that was a huge risk. 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 2

Penny thinks she feels lighter, so therefor she is.  In her own mind, at least.  I'll bet if she stepped on a scale she'd weigh just about what she did before surgery.  And she'd say that the scale was wrong.

And I'm sure she's got poor Liam so brainwashed that he'll never admit that she didn't want to get better and was using her weight to control those around her.  And she's probably got Edgar convinced that if he left her, the courts would award her custody of Liam and he'd never see his son again.

• Love 6

If I had been Dr. Now, I would of told her its right underneath you because you wont get out of bed to go to the bathroom you lazy and delusional P.O.S.

What's funny is that the Yellow Brick Road started Dorothy on a dangerous, but ultimately rewarding journey, only for her to find out at the end that she had the power herself all along.  Dr. Now gave her the damn Yellow Brick Road.  She just didn't want to take it.

Edited by MrHufflepuff
  • Love 14

What's funny is that the Yellow Brick Road started Dorothy on a dangerous, but ultimately rewarding journey, only for her to find out at the end that she had the power herself all along.  Dr. Now gave her the damn Yellow Brick Road.  She just didn't want to take it.

excellent point

• Love 2

The quote from Edgar, during the first show is: " When we starting dating she was around 450 pounds. I didnt have a problem with that." --- "I met her at a restaurant, standing in line at the bar."

Isn't it amazing that as a single 450-lb person she could make her way to a bar but as a 450-lb married person, she suddenly can't get out of bed more frequently than twice every other month? You got played, Edgar.

Also in the Super Size episode, they mentioned her shopping list included 18 cans of biscuits (I assume the Pillsbury kind) that she considers a "staple" but the store only had 17. Bet Edgar had to suffer for that infraction.

As for the Tweets on this episode, the contrast between Tara's and Penny's were as stark as their stories. All the Tweets they showed for Tara were supportive and kind whereas the ones for Penny? Not so much. TLC hates Penny as much as I do.

ETA: Just checked out Penny's FB page. She seems to have gotten her Masters degree in grammar from the June Shannon Skool of Hiyer Learnin' and Run-on Sentences. Jeez.

Edited by Guest

Her Facebook posts are ridiculous! She blames her weight on  everybody but herself. Also, she keeps saying she lost 150lbs. Bitch, I'm pretty sure you probably gained back the 35 lbs that you lost. She literally sits all day in pee and poop, how does she think that she loses any weight? 

When watching her episode, I was just waiting for Edgar to snap an push her into traffic while they were trick or treating. If Edgar has any sense, he would take his son and just leave the bitch. 

• Love 3

I took a look at Penny's FB page and saw that she posted a link to a story about 20 people who need a better role model. Oh, the irony...

And here's an example of her posting:

"Family and Friends if you post a picture of Liam, Edgar or I please tag me in the photo."

• Love 2

I looked at Penny's FB  page too. I don't know how old she is, but they celebrated Edgar's 50th birthday last fall. I wonder if this poor man will be

able to take care of bedridden Penny for another 10 years or if he'll pass away before she does. Their poor son could very well lose both his

parents before he turns 18.

• Love 1

Penny was 46 in her first season, IIRC. There is no way Penny will last ten more years. Even Dr. Now said that bedridden people don't live long. She's already been bed ridden for 5 years. She is a blood clot or case of pneumonia away from dying. 

• Love 2

There is no way Paula hasn't gained most of her weight back if she is eating normally and not getting out of bed. Who would choose to go to the bathroom in bed? Also if you aren't bathing in a tub or taking a shower I would think you would feel sticky and funky, let alone smell. She has to have mental issues or just be extremely lazy.

Poor Edgar probably doesn't even get anything sexually from her. Unless he puts PB or chocolate on it and slips it in her mouth. YES I WENT THERE. aaaaaaaaack!

• Love 4

She has to have mental issues or just be extremely lazy.

I think she clearly does have mental issues. In her original episode, when she was in the ambulance getting taken for a post-surgery checkup, they showed her babbling about how she's lost 350lbs since leaving the surgery center, etc. (It turned out she had lost 0lbs since leaving the surgery center). The EMTs had closed-down looks on their faces like they knew everything she was saying was delusional.

I actually don't think that Penny is lying a lot of the time, I think she's lost in her own world and does convince herself of these delusions. It's horrible and sad to me, tbh. To think of her talking about having lost hundreds of pounds and being a good mother to Liam and contributing to the family by couponing, while her husband turns her over to put her on a pee pad so she can shit and then he can wipe her ass...

• Love 3

I just figured out why Penny thinks she weighs 400 pounds.  Most bathroom scales don't exceed 400 pounds.  :D :D :D

Have you all seen the previews for the new shows?  All of the people look like they would be lucky to weigh only 600 pounds.

• Love 2