Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Where Are They Now? Penny and Tara

• Start Topic

I cannot BELIEVE she prepares food in that bed! She pees and craps in that bed all day long, then makes her family dinner in it?? SICK!  She doesn't get out of bed for months at a time and the sheets never get changed (I noticed she had a stain behind her head on the sheet, and it was the same stained sheet the entire episode). Beyond disgusting. I feel SO sorry for that little boy. And the husband, but to a lesser degree because I think it's ridiculous that he enables her.

Yes !!!     Its beyond disgusting, I actually think its a serious reportable health hazard.   Her bed is pretty much in the kitchen, so all her bodily filth is there and there is a child that has to live there. Why doesn't someone report the parents?  I would remove the child.   He is essentially living and eating in a shit house. Not to mention sitting in the toilet bed with his mother and hanging onto her in the wheelchair like a grotesque carnival ride.

• Love 8

Got to go with Dr. Now.  I don't think Penny has lost any weight.  In fact I'd bet money she's gained.  A lot.

I liked how her bed was right by the front door.  Wonderful thing to see first step in the door.

• Love 3

There is a payoff for Edgar.  He likes this.  He's got to be into this, on some level.

Deep down somewhere he probably knows that without Penny he'd have to go out and get a REAL job.  And he likely doesn't want to do that. 

They seem to be living a mighty fine life with whatever aid they are receiving.  Unless those are low-income apartments which is most likely. 

• Love 2

She shows pictures on Twitter to show that she has lost weight.  Authentic?

She can say whatever she wants, I bet she has gained a lot back.   Bet she needs the fire dept. to clean her hoo-haa now.   Double up on that protective gear fella's

• Love 1

The only thing her "progress pictures" show us is 1) she is not as heavy as she was when she was pregnant and 2) she refuses to let anyone take a picture of her showing more than her head and shoulders. The pictures are authentic, but what Penny is claiming that they represent (successful weight loss after surgery) is a big, fat lie. 

Here is how Penny should measure success in the short term: Can she put on panties of any kind? In any size. XXXXXXXXL is fine. That would be progress. If she still sits around bottomless in front of her son, camera crews, etc., then, no, she has not lost any weight. 

• Love 6

Deep down somewhere he probably knows that without Penny he'd have to go out and get a REAL job. And he likely doesn't want to do that.

They seem to be living a mighty fine life with whatever aid they are receiving. Unless those are low-income apartments which is most likely.

I would think he might jump at any job in the world, including cleaning septic tanks with a shovel and a hose, that took him out of there eight hours a day and away from her...but what about Liam? He may be in school at least part of the day now, but how do you leave a toddler in her care? And once you're out of work for a few years, it can be all but impossible to get hired again and if she requires/demands full time care, by the time he pays for that...plus even if he makes any money, then they may no longer qualify for Medicaid and with her medical bills for the diabetes alone...

It's a vicious cycle.

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 2

The real loser in the Penny story is going to be Liam. Unless she manages to live for another 10 years or so, he'll still be a minor when she passes away. Isn't he 7 years old now? And her husband will have been unemployed for who knows how many years by that time...maybe he could get a job as a caretaker for somebody else, but I wonder if he's actually had medical training to do so. Judging by how dirty their condo and her bed is, I think he hasn't. 

I wonder if somehow Liam's school could get involved, since this is not at all a healthy situation for a growing child. I've seen hoarders lose custody of their kids, how is this any different?

• Love 4

I agree that the real loser in this sad story is that sweet little boy. His bossy entitled mother won't be around to see him grow up. Penny is on a crash course to disaster and Edgar and Liam are collateral damage. Edgar needs to get a backbone and stop enabling her, but he's been so bullied by her, I doubt he ever will.

• Love 1

Whoa - I looked at her Twitter picture and she said she was a 3x?? What kind of 3x are they selling in other parts of the country, cause neither Tara and certainly not Penny, look like 3xs to me. And at a 3x, Penny should be able to move around like Tara. Delusional.

And just 'cause - her bed is by the front door? Eew.

She says she is going down the path God laid out for her. I don't think God wants you to be a burden to your family and society. I have seen people on YouTube who've had bypass surgery. Two years down the line, they generally look pretty good (granted, most aren't starting from 600 lbs.). I'm not idealizing the situation: you can see some who've had problems, some who desperately need skin surgery, some who needed additional surgery. Yet, strangely enough - they've all lost weight!  Only Penny is 2 years out from the operation and still immobile and big as a house.  That's you, girlfriend, God ain't got nothing to do with your mess.

• Love 7

She shows pictures on Twitter to show that she has lost weight.  Authentic?

She looks exactly the same size in the 3X and 5X pictures to me. In the 3X pic Liam is sitting in her lap, so he is blocking most of the fat. Clothes sizes on a reclining blob in bed mean nothing too. She could be loosing/gaining lymphoma weight, bone mass could be changing (Wall-E!), she could have a giant poo building up, who knows. Until she gets her pixie-winged fat ass on a scale, I am not believing one word about her weight.

• Love 5

Why is her bed right by the kitchen? I'd be tempted to eat all day long too if my bed was there and I had to stay in it all the time. Put her in the living room by a window so she can look outside and long for that. That would be a good goal to get moving like she should be doing anyway.

• Love 2

Poor Liam.  If he's not already, he's going to be the butt of the other children's jokes fairly soon.  His life will be hell as everyone teases him about his fat mama making dinner in the same bed she pees and poo's in.  And unless Penny dies sometime soon, I don't see much dating during his high school years for him.

• Love 3
Why is her bed right by the kitchen? I'd be tempted to eat all day long too if my bed was there and I had to stay in it all the time. Put her in the living room by a window so she can look outside and long for that. That would be a good goal to get moving like she should be doing anyway.

I'm guessing she is in the dining room/eating area. Considering it's by the kitchen and the living room. The bedrooms are probably upstairs, judging from the pics of the outside, it looks like a townhouse . Going up and down stairs is out of the question, so she has to have her bed on the first floor.  

Generally, the system is focused on familes staying together/family reunification, so removal only tends to occur in the worst of circumstances. Also:

http://www.dhr.state.md.us/blog/?page_id=3969

CODE OF MARYLAND REGULATIONS (COMAR) defines child abuse and child neglect as:

• Physical injury not necessarily visible of a child under circumstances that indicate that a child’s health or welfare is harmed or at substantial risk of being harmed.
  • The failure to give proper care and attention to a child including the leaving a child unattended where the child’s health or welfare is harmed or a child is placed in substantial risk of harm.
  • An act or acts involving sexual molestation or exploitation whether physical injuries are sustained or not.
  • Identifiable and substantial impairment of a child’s mental or psychological ability to function.
  • Finding credible evidence that has not been satisfactorily refuted that physical abuse, neglect or sexual abuse occurred.

I don't think anyone would deny the fact that Liam and Edgar are living in a horrible situation. However, Liam is fed, clothed and clean-looking. His parents seem to be attentive to his needs (his father, at least). I think it'd be hard to make a case for removal.

Hoarding is different because there are issues of fire safety/cleanliness. Yes, it's gross that Penny prepares food in bed, but they're not surrounded by dead animals or rotting food.

Liam is being fed food made in Penny's toilet/bed.   He sits and lays in her toilet/bed.  Her toilet/bed is a few feet from the "other kitchen".   Its a dangerous health hazard , not to mention just really disgusting.  I would hope that an official would think the same thing. Simply put, Liam eats where she shits.

• Love 2

I'm wondering now if the possible threat of Liam being removed from the home would be enough of a wake up call for Penny to change her ways.

I doubt it. It would be less work for her and give her a free pass on anything she wanted..."I can't walk, they took my baby!"

True narcissists treat everyone else as optional accessories.

• Love 7

Maybe its just the nurse in me, but I'm sure I noticed some scars on Edgar's head, in some of the shots where his hair was shaved.  I'm thinking he's had some sort of head injury, making him appear "slow" to us, and possibly unemployable other than taking orders from Penny and tending to her every need.  Maybe that's why he stays there?  He may be on some type of disability as well.  Just an observation.  Either way, its a sad life for him and for Liam. 

• Love 2

In Penny's episode last year, they had moved to Texas for the surgery. I think it showed them moving back to Maryland at the very end. Penny's bed has to be near the kitchen so she can cook. o.0 And supervise all food-related activity that goes on in the house. She's just a regular mom, y'all.

She's posted pics of more of her recipes on Twitter, including veggie soup with ham. I shit you not.

• Love 2

The next time Jabba the Hut threatens Edgar in a fit of controlling, narcissistic rage, he can fight back by simply refusing to clean her up after she urinates and defecates. He has all the power in their relationship, he just doesn't understand that.

Edited by gardendiva
  • Love 12

Interesting how I am not happy with my weight at my 140 pounds, yet these people are thrilled to be under 300. It's all relative.

That's what I thought when watching the show last season. I am just now getting to watch this episode and totally expect a lot of nothing from Penny. She was the hugest disappointment on last season. What a waste of time, not only for her family but production and Dr N (and his team).

I'm guessing she is in the dining room/eating area. Considering it's by the kitchen and the living room. The bedrooms are probably upstairs, judging from the pics of the outside, it looks like a townhouse . Going up and down stairs is out of the question, so she has to have her bed on the first floor.  

Actually in an early scene you can see Liam leave his mom's bed and run across the living room and down a very short hall to his bedroom. Looks like a one bedroom apartment. I think Edgar probably sleeps on the couch.

I had to laugh - on all of the previous My 600-pound Life: Where are they Now episodes they show twitter comments from people watching the show that are always praising and encouraging the subjects, saying how happy they are for them, how great they look, etc.  I noticed that this was the first episode that there was no twitter commentary on screen from the viewers.  I have a feeling that the Penny comments were far from positive!!

Actually they usually toss those in on the rerunned episodes that they call the Super Size episodes with extra footage. Odd that the super size extra footage episodes are the same length as a regular episode so I am left wondering what they cut out to show the extra.

Here's what I don't understand. Penny's oxygen is not medically necessary -- so how does she obtain it? Can you just go into a prescription center or hospital supply store and say, "Hey, I need a couple of oxygen tanks"?

Sorry if this has been said already... if you search her first name along with the show, you will come up with WHY she has oxygen and is on disability.

Edgar is totally a beaten man. Watch him as they eat their cereal! And Penny thought it was some how cool to mention using Sprite for her liquid in the cereal at the hospital.

Edited by lilacgirl
  • Love 1

Sorry if this has been said already... if you search her first name along with the show, you will come up with WHY she has oxygen and is on disability.

I searched as you said to do and came up with nothing that explained it. I do remember on her episode last season Dr Now stated she did not need the oxygen.

• Love 2

I looked closely during the scene of Penny making the sandwiches with the deli meat, in her bed. The smear looking bit on the sheet is actually a brand logo and words, probably the name of the company that makes the hospital bed sheets and their size etc.

• Love 2

Saeger remains on oxygen, which she said she needs because of a lung infection she suffered in 2004. It was at that time she became disabled due to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, or ARDS, and took disability retirement.

I found this is article originally written last year and updated after the latest episode aired. The above quote is from the article.

http://www.cecildaily.com/features/misc_features/article_318044e8-04d1-592e-b87e-700a8952822b.html

Is it ever a criminal offense of negligence to not take care of an adult (not elderly) who's not in immediate danger of some sort and has their mental faculties/ not proved to be mentally incompetent? Sorry that was a run on sentence. I just mean if Edgar walked out and the son was accounted for somehow but Penny died, could he get into trouble? She does have a phone/ laptop but still, it needs charging.

• Love 1

I don't know about the laws in their state, but in the US, the usual rule is that once you've put yourself into a caregiver position, you can't just walk out.  You have to at least take some steps to make sure the person you are caring for isn't just abandoned.  In some places (and I don't really know for sure), it may be just a matter of notifying adult services, but I'm guessing in this case, it'd be a bit more complex than that.

Edited by MrHufflepuff
  • Love 1

I found this is article originally written last year and updated after the latest episode aired. The above quote is from the article.

http://www.cecildaily.com/features/misc_features/article_318044e8-04d1-592e-b87e-700a8952822b.html

Thanks for the link. After reading that, I went and search for info on ARDS and came across this http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/acute-respiratory-distress-syndrome/

That shows that most people's lung function returns to normal. I'm sure hers did and she truly has no need for the oxygen, just like Dr Now stated. And just like he stated, she manipulates people so I'm sure she was able to manipulate the SSI peeps into believing her stories too and now we know how she gets the oxygen tanks. Ugh.

Also, I believe Penny when she says filming happened over the course of 4 days. Really, how many other days would they need to simply show she has made no improvements to her life, or made any effort to change her ways? I think they were being nice in filming that many days and trying to show her in a somewhat positive light other than just state what we all could see, she did nothing and has lost nothing.

• Love 2

Maybe its just the nurse in me, but I'm sure I noticed some scars on Edgar's head, in some of the shots where his hair was shaved.  I'm thinking he's had some sort of head injury, making him appear "slow" to us, and possibly unemployable other than taking orders from Penny and tending to her every need.  Maybe that's why he stays there?  He may be on some type of disability as well.  Just an observation.  Either way, its a sad life for him and for Liam. 

I noticed the scars, as well. When he was shopping, they were quite evident. I sort of remember reading something after Penny's original episode aired about Edgar and disability. I'll have to look around tomorrow and see if I can find it again.  If he has some disability income of his own, he should run for the hills. He's been taking care of Liam since he was born, so he's capable of parenting him alone and it would be awesome if Liam had a chance at an average childhood. He could still see his mom but wouldn't have to live in that awful, dysfunctional home. I bet Edgar would thrive without being beaten down all the time, too. I hate to see people trapped in an awful life because of some else's selfishness. Edgar and Liam deserve better.

• Love 3

I searched as you said to do and came up with nothing that explained it. I do remember on her episode last season Dr Now stated she did not need the oxygen.

I'm sorry. I wasn't sure if I could post the link on this thread, but did post it now on the media one.

However, I see someone was able to help you out while I slept. ;-)

Edit for autocorrect mix up.

Edited by lilacgirl

Why did she need a cell phone if she never gets up?

To control Edgar.

In one of her Tweets, she claims the bed is there because that is where the "core" of the family life is and she would like to be there with them.

Yes, I rolled my eyes too. Haha

• Love 1

Actually they usually toss those in on the rerunned episodes that they call the Super Size episodes with extra footage. Odd that the super size extra footage episodes are the same length as a regular episode so I am left wondering what they cut out to show the extra.

Commercial time. ;)

I think Edgar and Liam sleep in bunk beds.

If that's true that's sad as hell. Not only does Liam sit in the petri dish that is Penny's bed, but he has to share a bunkbed with his downtrodden dad? Can we get a therapist for Liam?

• Love 5

If something happened to Edgar where he could no longer take care of Penny, what are her options other than being placed in a nursing home? If she stays alive, at some point he won't be able to do the physical task of caretaking, and hopefully Liam will grow up and leave that disaster of a home so he won't be stuck in that role of caregiver.

I'd like to see Penny try to order around a nursing staff the way she does Edgar. The staff has other patients to care fo and they would not be able to cater to all

of her whims the minute she wants something. 

• Love 3

http://www.cecildaily.com/

features/misc_features/article_318044e8-04d1-592e-b87e-700a8952822b.html

In her original episode , Penny told Dr. Now that she didn't know the exact reason she needed oxygen but that she definitely needed it. If Penny is the source of that diagnosis, I have my doubts. (I believe you - I don't believe anything Penny says.)

If something happened to Edgar where he could no longer take care of Penny, what are her options other than being placed in a nursing home? If she stays alive, at some point he won't be able to do the physical task of caretaking, and hopefully Liam will grow up and leave that disaster of a home so he won't be stuck in that role of caregiver.

I'd like to see Penny try to order around a nursing staff the way she does Edgar. The staff has other patients to care fo and they would not be able to cater to all

of her whims the minute she wants something.

On twitter yesterday, she was asked what she would do if anything happens to Edgar and she claims that she already takes care of Liam herself since Edgar now has a full time job outside the home!! 40-50 hours a week! News! Hahahahaha! Yeah right, Penny.

• Love 2

I wonder if the reason Penny insists on the oxygen is because all of the weight that presses down on her chest makes it hard to breath? 

My sister-in-law is in the 450+ range and she sleeps in a recliner because the weight presses down on her chest and makes it hard to breath if she lays down.

Of course, she also uses it as a manipulation tool.  I have no doubt that she mentions the past illness because it garners more sympathy as opposed to "my boobs squish my lungs" defense.

• Love 1

I wish! But no, there's just as much commercial time as a regular episode.

In Penny's supersized episode, I seem to recall that they actually cut some of the juicier stuff, making us all wonder if she had threaten to sue or something. Can't recall what it was specifically. Maybe someone else remembers? For the other episodes, I'm sure they cut stuff, but none of it was important enough to stand out.  Penny's just stood out because some of the most talked about stuff was cut to add other stuff. It almost seemed like they were trying to be at least slightly more positive towards her.

If you look on Edgar's Facebook page, you'll see he is the "owner and CEO of the Rocklynn Group, a Multi Media 'Optimazation' company."   Apparently they help with "your branding and marketing needs."  

I don't know I'd want to hire someone to optimaze my stuff :P

• Love 6

OMGosh - y'all have to Google "rocklynn group." It looks like a bad translation from another language into English. The plural of customer is 'customer's.'  "In today’s world of  increasing multi and social media customer’s not only want the information available to them, the expect it."   There's no detail of what they do, any previous customers, nothing.

Mary, Mother of Mercy...   I wonder how many businesses they have beating down their door for 'optimazation'?

• Love 2