Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 01/19/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

I ff through a lot, I just couldn't take it. Why is WG back? She needs to rest more...I'm just thinking of her health ;)

Poor Rosie, first she said Lavern Cox would be writing on the show, then called the show Parenthood. And finally informed us that Jonah Hill is the one writing for the show, and also transitioned. Lol I'm sorry the whole thing cracked me up.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 6

Really show? Whoopi came back from a back problem. It wasn't the second coming of Christ. What an annoying opening.

Right?! A casual viewer might of thought she has been out since last season (I wish!). But it's the Whoopii Show so I guess it's on point.
  • Love 9

Rosie did look fed up at the end of the show, mostly due to her flubs about Laverne Cox writing on the new season on Transparent, then calling it Parenthood, then calling Jonah Hill a transgender...I wonder if she felt today was taxing to her and that was part of the flubs, i'm sure the house band didn't help matters.  If this is how ABC is going to treat Whoopi's return, like someone posted upthread, the second coming of Christ, I could see her being fed up w/the show.  We had two great weeks, and I really thought Whoopi's time off might mellow her out, but nope.  I wonder what Rosie P thought of today's debacle as she watched it from home.  No doubt in my mind she is done w/the show.

• Love 5

A bunch of middle-aged women sitting around talking about their back problems. Now that's a sure-fire way to draw in the younger demographic they've been looking for.

LOL!   Awesome, ChicagoCita!  They'll just "fix it" by having Naya Rivera come back and sit her plastic ass in one of the new office chairs for the remainder of the week. 

• Love 4

What must be going on behind the scenes that they had to throw such a huge bash for Whoopi coming back after 2 weeks (or so)? She must really be showing her ass. All the parts today without Whoopi were super. Rosie O is a great interviewer especially when she loves the topic.

Did Nicole say she didn't know who Madeline Kahn was? Is she that young?

• Love 8

Rosie did look fed up at the end of the show, mostly due to her flubs about Laverne Cox writing on the new season on Transparent, then calling it Parenthood, then calling Jonah Hill a transgender...I wonder if she felt today was taxing to her and that was part of the flubs, i'm sure the house band didn't help matters. If this is how ABC is going to treat Whoopi's return, like someone posted upthread, the second coming of Christ, I could see her being fed up w/the show. We had two great weeks, and I really thought Whoopi's time off might mellow her out, but nope. I wonder what Rosie P thought of today's debacle as she watched it from home. No doubt in my mind she is done w/the show.

I'm okay if Rosie P doesn't come back, not because I dislike her or her cute accent. I really enjoy her. I just can't imagine being on this show with WG. I'm cool with RP doing her acting and being comfortable and happy. Edited by imjagain
  • Love 6

Did Nicole say she didn't know who Madeline Kahn was? Is she that young?

She's not that young, I mean hell I know who Madeline Kahn is/was and i'm 33, she is one of the best comedic actresses of all time...taken way too soon.  I think Nicole meant she didn't know what Rosie and Kristin were talking about in regards to all the Broadway chatter b/t the two of them.  Nicole isn't very knowledgable about the world it seems outside of politics and her own circle of family, but hopefully Rosie and Whoopi will take her under their wings and broaden her horizons.  It reminds me of Rosie's first stint on the View where she took Bitsy under her wing and did the same thing, but then everything went to hell and here we are.

I watched that YouTube posted upthread w/Rosie, and it seemed like Rosie was throwing some veiled shade at Whoopi, which I loved!!!  It makes me still believe that Whoopi's surgery was elected surgery and not really life threatening or anything.  The fact that Rosie even said Whoopi was complaining about her back issues in September, it's just another thing that leads me to believe the ABC executives told Whoopi to take an extra two weeks for the holiday and she used the time to get the surgery done.  If this did happen, it would have to have been to see what the show would be like w/o Whoopi there.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 11

It makes me still believe that Whoopi's surgery was elected surgery and not really life threatening or anything.

Whoopi's face did look swollen, as in steroid use.  Are steroids ever used for elective surgery or procedures? I'm quite medically ignorant.

I know who Madeline Kahn was from TV and movies, but I didn't know she was on Broadway.

I think the confetti was Rosie's idea, remember how much she likes it and would always complain that the producers during her first tenure on the show could never get it right, and then the first thing Whoopi said was a complaint about the confetti being on her chair.

Whoopi said she avoided surgery through physical therapy, didn't she?  I feel like I have to decipher her more lately, like we used to have to with Elisabeth's word salads.  I don't think anyone ever alluded to it being a life threatening issue.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 8

It makes me still believe that Whoopi's surgery was elected surgery and not really life threatening or anything.

I would swear that Whoopi said she did NOT have surgery, but soft-pedaled the rest of what happened (like she really didn't want to elaborate).  Is it just me?

• Love 6

@Fisher King - whether or not to have a surgical intervention with a herniated or bulging disc is often considered "elective", treating bulging/herniated discs with steroids is pretty standard as it reduces swelling which takes pressure of the vertebrae/spinal chord and helps reduce the pain.

• Love 5

The funniest thing I found with Whoopi's return was the use of confetti. Having had similar back problems myself, the last thing I would want around me would be confetti that I could possibly slip on and injure my back even further. I am surprised that Whoopi didn't comment on that. And WTF is up with the scrubs? I am surprised she isn't wearing a matching surgical cap. What a tool.

• Love 2

I totally understand conservative treatment for a back problem including physical therapy and medications but why did the show play up Whoopi laying in a hospital bed acting drugged from a procedure? Not really looking for an answer, just saying that the whole thing seems off to me.

And if I had to sit through the miracle of Whoopi's return like that, I might not be able to speak properly either. ;)

Edited by whydoiwatchtv
  • Love 6
Did Nicholle really say that the good basketball team should send some of their players to the other team to even things out?? WTF is she thinking??

Does she know most districts have specific rules for competitive sports?   Often there are scoring guidelines for the younger grades--no team should be humiliated.  Both coaches were imbeciles.  

• Love 3

I know who Madeline Kahn was from TV and movies, but I didn't know she was on Broadway.

I think the confetti was Rosie's idea, remember how much she likes it and would always complain that the producers during her first tenure on the show could never get it right, and then the first thing Whoopi said was a complaint about the confetti being on her chair.

Whoopi said she avoided surgery through physical therapy, didn't she?  I feel like I have to decipher her more lately, like we used to have to with Elisabeth's word salads.  I don't think anyone ever alluded to it being a life threatening issue.

Sorry Morbs, I over-looked this part of your post.  I was amazed that, after two weeks in the hospital addressing "her issue", she didn't know about Lumbar/Spine #'s 1 to 5, which is the areas that they would be "addressing".  I think Whoopi is looking for attention & is using "back issues" to garner it.

• Love 5

I would swear that Whoopi said she did NOT have surgery, but soft-pedaled the rest of what happened (like she really didn't want to elaborate).  Is it just me?

haha, since we both said the same thing at the same time I don't think it's just you.  Maybe because Whoopi is my least favorite now so her flaws stand out more, but she really talks in circles.  I've noticed it of course when she introduces a topic in past seasons, but now it seems all the time to me.

You didn't miss it Medicine Crow, I keep editing things a lot today so I probably added it after.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 5

Another makeup comment:  I guess it's The View's makeup person/people who love that shiny-glowing-iridescent look on cheekbones, etc.  Judith Light and Kristin Chenoweth (not a fan) were really glowing!   I cannot recall seeing Chenoweth in an interview when she did NOT mention how teeny-tiny she is.  This time Rosie started it, but Kristin fell right into her itsy-bitsy schtick.

• Love 6

Liked today's show. Sometimes when I read comments on here I think I must have watched something totally different!

So they had a live musical group on that Whoopi likes to welcome her back. Nice! Whoopi said she was able to AVOID any surgery. I liked the doctor coming on to provide good info.

I didn't get Rosie throwing shade in the unthread video at all. Whoopi actually caught Rosie's boo-boo right before they introduced the musical group and said "I don't think you meant Jonah Hill!"

I generally like Nicole, but her comment when Kristin and Rosie were talking about Madeline's thank you note ("backstage on Broadway, listening to two, I don't know what you are talking about") was a little rude and word salad like and reminded me of Bitsy...scary.

Madeline Kahn was so great!

Whoopi did get a bit preachy a couple times and her transitions at commercial time are still rough..Rosie in comparison was much better at that the past couple weeks, and she really excels as a moderator.

PS. My 89 year old mom had a similar back issue and was pretty much out of commission and in real pain for all of November - luckily she lives nearby because I visited daily and made all 3 meals for her. And they ruled out fractures or bulging disk in her case. Just arthritic back and associated nerve pain. Time and heat helped. Mild exercise ( Whoopi was spot on with the bed exercises she mentioned) and 4 weeks of physical therapy got her walking again by end of December and her pain to much more tolerable level - she still does her bed exercises any uses a heating pad twice a day. Back pain is THE WORST!

• Love 6

I totally understand conservative treatment for a back problem including physical therapy and medications but why did the show play up Whoopi laying in a hospital bed acting drugged from a procedure? Not really looking for an answer, just saying that the whole thing seems off to me.

And if I had to sit through the miracle of Whoopi's return like that, I might not be able to speak properly either. ;)

I haven't seen the show yet (and honestly I'm not sure if I will), but from the sound of it Whoopi probably did have a procedure that required some anesthesia and IV pain meds, but she was probably only in the hospital for a day or two. A not uncommon procedure for bulging/herniated disks is the injection of steroids/analgesics directly into the spinal column. It's typically more of an outpatient procedure (sort of like a colonoscopy for example), but perhaps they kept her overnight out of an abundance of caution or her pain was so severe that they kept her on IV pain meds. Combined with physical therapy, it's a way to reduce inflammation and pain and promote healing while staving off invasive surgery. I have a friend who has severe back problems and she's had the procedure a number of times. It's not a permanent fix but it helps quite a bit. It does however knock you on your ass for about 24 hours or more between the anesthesia, the pain meds and the need to remain essentially immobile for a period of time post procedure.

As a suffer of chronic back problems myself, I sympathize with her, but it sounds like I was right to hope that she'd take a LOT more time off. It sounds like "the bitch is back" would have been a far more appropriate song for today's show....

• Love 4

I recorded it and just watched. Whoopi is as annoying as she ever was and she must be taking a boatload of steroids for her face to swell so much. I'm sorry for anyone who has a back problem, as it is excruciating. I did rather enjoy the Dr. explaining what happens to your back--it was never explained to me. The scrubs were ridiculous and certainly nothing is wrong with Whoopi's mouth or her arms or her pointy fingers. Shut up, Whoopi. Just shut up. The last two weeks have been wonderful without you. It was so obvious that she and Nicholle did not know what the hell they were talking about when they were griping about Seth Rogen's comment on Twitter. They even read his clarification and kept on with their shtick. Judith Light was fine, but she's a live audience freak. I blame Broadway. Just kidding. Kristen Chenoweth is cute and she never changes, so she gets a little tedious. It took me about 20 minutes to watch the one hour show.

• Love 7

@Fisher King - whether or not to have a surgical intervention with a herniated or bulging disc is often considered "elective", treating bulging/herniated discs with steroids is pretty standard as it reduces swelling which takes pressure of the vertebrae/spinal chord and helps reduce the pain.

Thank you for that info! I wasn't sure about how standard steroid treatment was.

• Love 1

Thanks, Tribble Trouble. Didn't think of a steroid shot. But the whole thing was so overblown it is just ridiculous. They practically carried Whoopi in on muscle bound men while trumpets played and rose petals being strewn in front for a fricken shot and 2 weeks off.

• Love 5

Someone on twitter was defending Whoopi's finger pointing and scolding as "a cultural thing" - similar to the dog fighting deal, I guess. Whatever. It doesn't belong on a show where the audience is theoretically at least encouraged to think about different viewpoints. It's a turn off. 

One day back and she's worse than ever. 

• Love 8

Steroids are also an anti inflamatory agent and can help with any kind of inflammation.  I took oral prednisone when I had my back problem and it really did help.  Same for my mom when she had compression fractures in her spine.

This show is ready for the garbage bin as it's way over it's expiration date.  Bet it will be cancelled by May. 

• Love 4

One day back and she's worse than ever.

I don't think she's worse than ever, it's just that she's the same as before.  Whoopi will never change.  It also doesn't help matters that they threw a celebration for her return as if she was out for life or death surgery ala David Letterman.  I have a question since i haven't watched the show regularly since Rosie O left the first time until she came back this season.  Did they ever celebrate the other co-hosts birthdays like they did for Babs and Whoopi, and by that I mean going all out and making the show all about them and what they like.

• Love 4

Whoops' Return Show:

-I lost count of how many times I grumbled "Shut up, Whoopie". I don't understand why she tries so hard. Sigh.

-Rosie O, love you. Please stay. Bloopers and all.

-Not thrilled with the one-sided 'American Sniper" discussion (practically insisted on by Nicole). It's not that black and white.

• Love 5

My husband has back problems.  He has had steroid injections twice.  It is usually a same-day procedure, and not usually done in hospitals (although some are). After anesthesia, the patient goes home and has to rest the balance of the day.  He also has had two back surgeries.  One was outpatient and the other he spent the night. So, Whoopi may have gotten a little of the celebrity treatment.  When Beyonce gave birth, she stayed in the hospital three days.  But, back to business, Gawd, she is so annoying.

• Love 6

What the heck???????????????

Whoopi and Nicolle were sooooo upset at Rogan and Michael Moore. I don't get it actually.

Okay, using 'Nazi' in any discussion or criticism never goes well unless you actually mean they/it are really behaving like Nazi's. It was pretty clear to me that that was not what Rogan meant.

Also, Nicolle's attack and Whoopi's agreement re: what Michael Moore tweeted was completely off the mark.

He was relating a family experience and heart felt belief. This family lost a person in war to a sniper. I completely understand why they feel a sniper might be a coward as the person they lost had no chance to fight back. In Moore's case of course both the sniper and family member were military. No one was a civilian.

I completely understand his family's emotion and story. Nicolle and Whoopi were off the mark.

Imagine if a civilian you knew were on the street and killed - and no one will ever convince me that some of the killed were not innocent, altho war does imply many civilian deaths.

Their central point seemed to be that because they had supported Rogan's movie he should not criticize someone else's movie - that argument makes no sense to me.

They were not supporting Rogan's movie per se. They were supporting free speech in the face of repression, tyranny and attack.

I was not happy with the entire content of the discussion - not the least because RO was trying to be the voice of reason and Whoopi shut her down.....sigh

welcome back whoopi - - not!

• Love 8

Does she know most districts have specific rules for competitive sports? Often there are scoring guidelines for the younger grades--no team should be humiliated. Both coaches were imbeciles.

That's interesting. I don't know anything about sports at all (not my area of expertise!) but I knew enough to think to myself, "Well, what are the rules then?" How awful to be a parent and have to sit through that entire game. I'd want him suspended too! How boring.

I liked the live music too, even though I don't know who those guys are. A poster on the old TWOP once told me about some radio show Whoopi did where she played her favorite music and talked about what they meant to her in her life, and it was the most likable version of Whoopi for me. I love music too, and I like a lot of the same stuff she does.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 1

I watched the Judith Light segment online and boy did I feel bad for Rosie. Here she is with one of her acting idols and she botches three things during the interview. I chalk it up to nerves because Whoopi was back today. It takes a lot of guts to go online and apologize and correct those mistakes. Not many people in the public eye do that so kudos to her.

• Love 9

I liked the band, but I never caught their name (probably because I FF through commercials).  Can anyone help?  I probably wouldn't see them in person, but I wouldn't mind seeing them again on TV.

Vintage Trouble :) :)

• Love 1

Watching the recorded show now, and I thought Whoopi must be on steroids, as her face certainly looks it.  She is back in full force, unfortunately.  

RO seemed really off her game today - many slip ups, plus very quiet (for her) during hot topics, almost like she was having a hard time focusing or being in the moment.  I must admit that the thought went through my mind that perhaps she needed to take some extra anti depressants or whatever today in anticipation of the return of the queen, and that was why she was so off.  The return of WG was treated much the same as her birthday celebration, and also much the same as the end of BW reign.  I live in hope that tptb wake up and put RO in the moderator's seat permanently.  She has made such a concerted effort to put herself in a good place, mentally and physically, that it is a joy to watch her again.

Interesting that WG chose the seconds before the end to correct Rosie on stage - like she was trying to put her in her place and reclaim her position as the queen after Ro did such an outstanding job in her absence.  Did she even thank Ro for what she did during her absence??

• Love 4

I, too, loved the band! That's some old school music and being old myself, I could really dig it.

I think they made a big deal about Whoopi coming back because her being out for so long was probably stirring up rumors about her leaving the show. I wonder if they will greet Rosie P the same way?

I thought Nichole said that she would send her child on the losing team over to the winning team. She really is kinda dumb, and somewhat morally challenged. I don't think she will let her child "lose" at anything.

I, too, loved the band! That's some old school music and being old myself, I could really dig it.

I think they made a big deal about Whoopi coming back because her being out for so long was probably stirring up rumors about her leaving the show. I wonder if they will greet Rosie P the same way?

I thought Nichole said that she would send her child on the losing team over to the winning team. She really is kinda dumb, and somewhat morally challenged. I don't think she will let her child "lose" at anything.

Watching the recorded show now, and I thought Whoopi must be on steroids, as her face certainly looks it.  She is back in full force, unfortunately.  

RO seemed really off her game today - many slip ups, plus very quiet (for her) during hot topics, almost like she was having a hard time focusing or being in the moment.  I must admit that the thought went through my mind that perhaps she needed to take some extra anti depressants or whatever today in anticipation of the return of the queen, and that was why she was so off.  The return of WG was treated much the same as her birthday celebration, and also much the same as the end of BW reign.  I live in hope that tptb wake up and put RO in the moderator's seat permanently.  She has made such a concerted effort to put herself in a good place, mentally and physically, that it is a joy to watch her again.

Interesting that WG chose the seconds before the end to correct Rosie on stage - like she was trying to put her in her place and reclaim her position as the queen after Ro did such an outstanding job in her absence.  Did she even thank Ro for what she did during her absence??

Rosie did make a pretty big mistake. I was mentally trying to figure out when Jonah Hill has transitioned - actually I'll bet he would think it was pretty funny. But it needed to be corrected, and Whoopi wasn't wrong.

• Love 3

Whatever the medical treatment for Whoopi's back condition, she has a MAJOR case of "steroid face." In fact, if I didn't know it was a back problem, I'd think that whatever she has is much more serious. People with medical conditions who take steroids, such as people who have had transplant surgery, have what they call "moon face" because it literally rounds out the face as opposed to weight gain that shows in the face. JFK was always praised for his hale and hearty looks; but in fact the fullness of his face was due to prednisone treatment for years for his Cushing's disease.

Based on her appearance, I'm not surprised that she was out two weeks. If her appearance is only due to a back problem then she must have a really bad case.

And yes, Vintage Trouble was the same band that played on her birthday. She says they are one of her favorites so that is probably why they were chosen.

Just remembered that I believe it was Nicolle who went to the hospital to visit her and they showed a tape on the show.

Steroids can also make people aggressive as well.

• Love 1

Not much to add, except I loved reading all your great posts on this mess of a show.   Just one thing about the steroids and full face though is last fall I was on predisone for about three weeks (back issue) and when I expressed my concern about that very thing my doctor told that only happens when someone is on them for an extended period of time - like months and months or years. Whoopi's face was fuller though - so maybe she was on something stronger or she's been on it longer, I don't know.  I do know that it didn't effect me that way at all.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Whoopi's scrubs was that she really does just wake and bake and show up to the show.

Whoopi must have sucked all the oxygen out of the room which explains why Nicolle had to resort to breathing helium.  Good grief, it's only a movie.  Too bad Babs wasn't there so Nicolle could have sat in her lap.

LOL, Abmis!!   Awesome capture of Whoopi being obnoxious and Nicolle almost screeching. 

A bunch of middle-aged women sitting around talking about their back problems. Now that's a sure-fire way to draw in the younger demographic they've been looking for.

Ha!  As opposed to Babs leading a sing-a-long of The Way You Look Tonight, fangirling over SATC (which I loved too but it has been over for a decade now), wondering why no one says, "making love" when they want to have sex, and of course her endless fascination with everyone's sex lives and/or sex scenes.   This show need to decide what kind of audience it really wants. 

Does she know most districts have specific rules for competitive sports?   Often there are scoring guidelines for the younger grades--no team should be humiliated.  Both coaches were imbeciles.  

I'll cut Nicolle some slack on not knowing the score cut off guidelines since she doesn't have kids in sports yet.  I only know about it because my 16 year old nephew plays baseball and when one team is more than X number of points ahead they call the game - as they should. It's been that way since he started at age seven.  No need to humiliate a bunch of kids. 

Whoopi did get a bit preachy a couple times and her transitions at commercial time are still rough..Rosie in comparison was much better at that the past couple weeks, and she really excels as a moderator.

Her transitions are still rough after seven years.  I think it's time for tptb to notice she can't moderate and more importantly notice they are already paying someone that can do it ten times better.  

I thought the over the top welcome back was BW-cringeworthy and her comments about the confetti looking like her shedding pubs was so classless I was embarrassed for her.  Gah, this show has gone back to circling the drain. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 9

I thought the over the top welcome back was BW-cringeworthy and her comments about the confetti looking like her shedding pubs was so classless I was embarrassed for her.  Gah, this show has gone back to circling the drain. 

Shedding pubes? She really said that? Why, oh why, am I surprised?

Based on her appearance, I'm not surprised that she was out two weeks. If her appearance is only due to a back problem then she must have a really bad case.

Steroids can also make people aggressive as well.

You know, this could explain a lot about her nastiness since the season started, if she's been on steroids for an extended period of time and they just recently upped the dose trying to treat her back more aggressively but non-surgically.

Haven't watched the show since last Thursday, not sure I can make it through what sounds like a cringe-worthy affair from yesterday.

Shedding pubes? She really said that? Why, oh why, am I surprised?

Oh yes she did and I am now officially done with this show.  Love Rosie O but can no longer take the Whoopi show it was so awful.  The last 2 weeks had for the most part had intelligent women discussing relevant issues. Not anymore, it is all about Whoopi Goldberg and her opinion is the only one that counts.

• Love 3

Good Lord.... Whoopi is whining about taxes again because she thinks she is part of the middle class..... she says these taxes arent needed because it just makes their pockets fat.... and of course Nicholle is parroting the anti tax rant.

Taxes on gas and tolls go to pay for the upkeep of the roads they are using..... funny how they want to use the benefits that is paid for by taxes.... but they dont want the tax.... and Rosie was silent

• Love 14

What happened to INTELLIGENT conversations?? They pretend they dont know what taxes are for.... they only giggle about the word balls when talking about the new football cheating scandal.... now Whoopi cant find the eyes on a drawing of a dinosaur..... why is it that so called intelligent women pretend to be stupid when they get on television?? Is that somehow supposed to be attractive?? Are they just so bored with the topics they have to act ignorant??

It really is annoying.... it seems like talking about reality shows is the only thing they get excited about

• Love 11