Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 01/19/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

What a horrible mess.  The shows today and yesterday were so offensive.  I have read the comments here and I agree, and cannot really add much to what has already been said.  But I will say this.  You do not show up on a major television network's live morning talk show from New York ranting incoherently and slurring your words.  I don't care who you are, I don't care what you're on or why, I don't care about your previous credentials.  I don't care if you are enjoying yourself, as a viewer I care if I'm enjoying myself.  And the past two shows involving you, as the moderator no less, have been nothing but an insult to viewers.  Disrespectful and offensive.   

Well, we'll always have the middle two weeks of January.  How much I enjoyed those shows!

• Love 21

The two of them against RO, and RO doesn't get a word in edge wise.

Totally.  I love the way Rosie O handles this new and beautiful (gag) "friendship".  She goes with the flow, even asking Nicolle in recent weeks about her visit to an unfortunately hospitalized Whoopi, and attentively listening to Nicolle's response (which proved to be more than I could do).  Wasn't Nicolle's adoring, squinty-eyed, loving look at Whoopi today (during some of Whoopi's incoherent preaching near the beginning of the show) just precious?

• Love 8

Whoopie is definitely high on drugs. Not all steroids make you crazy, or make you irritable or irrational. The steroids that do those things are the ones athletes use to bulk up. I have post polio syndrome that has now affected my lungs, and I take prednisone daily as it's the only medication that keeps my lungs supple. I can assure you that I don't have anger management issues and I'm not mentally unstable, but the weight gain you get with prednisone is nasty---and I didn't eat more than I did before. It's just a nasty side effect.

One thing bugs me about Nicole---it's the middle of winter, its freaking cold and damp, so why does she wear summery, sleeveless dresses every day? The one she wore on Monday (I think it was Monday) where it was one shouldered, is not a winter dress.

• Love 4

^^^^ 

The one she wore on Monday (I think it was Monday) where it was one shouldered, is not a winter dress.

Oddly enough, I saw that same dress in red on someone else on TV during the past week, and have been wracking my brain trying to remember who was wearing it.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

No one was aware Whoopie would be off the rails on oxy (or whatever).  They know now.  I think she will take a little more time off.  

Thing is, I enjoyed this show when she was gone without even considering this current and temporary thing going on.   I want Rosie to anchor this show again.  Whoopie has burned out on this show.  Not sure she even sees that, herself.  Bill must.  

• Love 5

Not that i'm on Whoopi's side, but maybe even she realized how off the rails she was yesterday and decided to take the rest of the week off...oh who am I kidding, we all know it was Babs who made this call b/c she watches every day.

• Love 3

Love this show without Whoopi and with Rosie moderating! Rosie is so good at drawing her following cohosts and guests into the conversation. Rosie followed up with Michelle Williams said she hadn't been married by asking if she had had a long term relationship which lead to Michelle talking about her long term experience which lead to them holdings hands and singing Kumbaya. It was so entertaining!

I used to be a regular View viewer but recent years started channeling surfing away from it and not returning - and not tuning in the next day. I just realized today that when Rosie is moderating I don't surf away! Off to let ABC know!

Go Rosie!

• Love 12

I wasn't able to watch yesterday's show until late last night & was absolutely appalled that Whoopi was allowed to abuse her co-hosts (& us) with her over-the-top (drugged-up) behaviour.  I couldn't watch the whole show, it was so baaaad.

Today's show was GREAT!!!  But I guess I'm/we're comparing it to yesterday & ANYTHING would look good, but it was.  Terrific interviews & content.  (Still not crazy about Michelle!!)

• Love 3

I wasn't able to watch yesterday's show until late last night & was absolutely appalled that Whoopi was allowed to abuse her co-hosts (& us) with her over-the-top (drugged-up) behaviour.  I couldn't watch the whole show, it was so baaaad.

Today's show was GREAT!!!  But I guess I'm/we're comparing it to yesterday & ANYTHING would look good, but it was.  Terrific interviews & content.  (Still not crazy about Michelle!!)

It has been way better without Whoopie just comparing it to the non drugged version.  When at her best Whoopie is just not pleasant to watch anymore.  

• Love 7

SO much better today.  How do the people running this show not see that ?  Maybe they did ??  Rosie lets other people speak - throws in some humor.  I enjoyed all four women today.  It was just a pleasant hour of television. 

• Love 8

Yeah, I watch the shows later as well. (and I skip a LOT of them) so late last night I was appalled at that whole dinosaur thing.  "Where are the EYES?"  It seemed like everyone there had the urge to say something to her, or even just point out where eyes would be on the diagram, but were afraid of her reaction.  It was SO off, she was so obviously impaired, and everyone was embarrassed for her.

Ever been to a wedding where the best man or maid of honor has the floor, is making a speech, and is at that point of drunkenness where THEY think they're being brilliant and insightful?  That was Whoopi yesterday.    

• Love 9

Michelle is only 34 years old, but she's so thin that she looks much older, and today it seemed as if she was a little inebriated, or maybe that's her natural state. I'm glad that Whoopi was not there, but surely they can find better co-hosts? I much prefer Mario over Michelle, but maybe he was busy today.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 5

haha, I thought Michelle seemed drunk too! Maybe she used Whoopi's dressing room and took Whoopi's leftovers from yesterday.

I have a soft spot for her because of Destiny's Child. I think those songs are 100 times better than what Beyonce does now, because they are pretty fun.

I loved how Rosie called the show The Talk, which I took at a dig at Whoopi saying no one knows what show the is without her. At first I thought posters here were reading into Rosie saying "I don't have any back problems to excuse my mistakes" as a dig, but now after Whoopi's behavior yesterday, I think there is still a lot of tension going on.

• Love 7

Whoopi has become incapable of saving herself. Someone else needs to step up and do it before her reputation is destroyed. It's gotten that serious. The powers-that-be who are orchestrating/allowing this train wreck s/b fired. Yesterday's show was shocking to watch, from her bizarre antics to her inexcusable attire. I have greatly admired her in the past, she earned it. But, this mess has to stop.

Goes w/out saying. Today's show was refreshing. Rosie made it so. Thank you Rosie, for your professionalism and skills.

Edited by SunFun
  • Love 14

Damn it! I purposely avoided today's show and ran some errands during that time because I wasn't planning to watch Whoopi's View. RATS to hear I missed the show without her on. I feel like the mice who slept while the cat was away; a missed opportunity since her absences are so few and far between.

I hope to catch it on Hulu./crossing fingers

• Love 4

I wish they had been a little tougher on Huckabee. Someone should have quoted directly from his book. He wrote:

"My reaction: Why? Beyonce is incredibly talented – gifted, in fact. She has an exceptional set of pipes and can actually sing. She is a terrific dancer – without the explicit moves best left for the privacy of her bedroom. Jay-Z is a very shrewd businessman, but I wonder: Does it occur to him that he is arguably crossing the line from husband to pimp by exploiting his wife as a sex object?"

Maybe he came with his own list of topics not to be discussed - his association with Ted Nugent and playing Cat Scratch Fever with him on stage (what about those lyrics, Huck?), his son's torture and killing of a dog.  And probably adding "you may not quote what I've written or said without my prior approval." 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 12

I wish I had seen the show yesterday. I have a feeling it won't be rerun.

Crap, I missed it, too.  Damn dentist appt.  Anyone know of where a Canadian gal like me can view this train wreck online?  Someone here once kindly shared a link with me that played episodes but I can't find the damn thing now. 

• Love 1

How sad that Huckabee got to blame President Obama for not working with Republicans and no one countered him with the facts.  If Joy or Star Jones had been on the panel they might have brought up the Republican meeting on the night of the inauguration that was making plans to thwart Obama at every move.  This hasn't been a do nothing Congress because he wouldn't work with them, they wanted to slap him with the worst evah President in history by not working on anything but repealing his work. 

They shouldn't have politicians on if they aren't going to do the homework.  This gives Nicolle free reign to campaign for Republicans.  I don't think Rosie O is the person to do it either.  Bring a Rachel Maddow on if this is going to be a forum for candidates.

Edited by Dizzy9
  • Love 14

I really think RO would not have let Huckabee off the hook had they not known each other. It appears that they bonded somewhat when she did his radio show. This is one of the rare times she did not attack, although RO did mention that the Republicans would not work with Prez. It was quickly brushed aside by Nicolle and Michelle Williams who kept trying to defend Beyonce.

• Love 5

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in the green room with Huckabee and David Hyde Pierce. Can you think of any two people who have less in common?

Incidentally, Jon Steward raked Huckster over the coals the other night.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 7

Speaking of being a fly on the wall . . . there must've been some major stuff that happened after Whoopi's fiasco yesterday. I'm a little torn on this. I really don't want to see her humiliated, but I really, really don't want her to continue as the moderator. She cannot do the job. It doesn't matter if she's sober, unmedicated, or whatever. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 12

I wish they had been a little tougher on Huckabee. Someone should have quoted directly from his book. He wrote:

"My reaction: Why? Beyonce is incredibly talented – gifted, in fact. She has an exceptional set of pipes and can actually sing. She is a terrific dancer – without the explicit moves best left for the privacy of her bedroom. Jay-Z is a very shrewd businessman, but I wonder: Does it occur to him that he is arguably crossing the line from husband to pimp by exploiting his wife as a sex object?"

Maybe he came with his own list of topics not to be discussed - his association with Ted Nugent and playing Cat Scratch Fever with him on stage (what about those lyrics, Huck?), his son's torture and killing of a dog.  And probably adding "you may not quote what I've written or said without my prior approval." 

What bothers me more than anything about that statement is that it all comes back to what Jay-Z allows his wife to do. It even makes the assumption that he's the one dictating what she does all the time by calling him the "pimp" in the situation. I mean, wtf? That's the mindset of a man stuck in the 1950's.

• Love 20

Interesting that with Whoopi gone, so were the big black office chairs.  Today's were shorter purple models.  Not sure if they're the ones they had previously or not.  I only noticed the big black office chairs because they looked like props on The Apprentice.

• Love 1

The black office chairs were definitely Whoopi-related. I think they said that they are better for ones back. Everyone was using them on Tuesday and then only Whoopi had it on Wednesday. She probably has to sit in a chair like that right now and they were doing it in solidarity on Tuesday.

• Love 1

No mention of his bullshit "Uncle Sugar" statement last year either.  He's so deceptive with his awe-shucks ploy because when he gets anywhere near his base, he's just nasty.  His reference to Jay-Z as a pimp is so utterly racist on top of everything else.  All that said, lol, last time he ran I donated to his campaign because I disliked McCain and thought that the Huckster would be easier to beat in a general election.  Shhhhh.... no judging!

• Love 11

I just watched Whoopi's return show from Tuesday and am struck by her lack of emotional intelligence. She had an opportunity to educate the audience about her back problem in a compelling way, like explaining when she first felt her back pains and how she tried to deal with it. Instead, she thought invoking a southern accent and making unfunny jokes about her age would have us all in stitches. I didn't laugh once. A person in power needs to tell Whoopi that she doesn't need to be "on" for us to be entertained, just be authentic.

I respect Whoopi as an actress but I've never liked her in this role. She skated by for so long because dolts like Elisabeth and Sherri made her look like Einstein in comparison.

Edited by Fatkat
  • Love 11

My favorite part of the article was "We can hear you".  I was brought up to believe keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a fool than open it and let them know.   Am I talking about Huckabee or Whoopi.  Your call.

Edited by polodog
  • Love 6

I'm a little jealous of Whoopi.  I have chronic pain so I take pain meds as needed and yesterday I had a steroid injection at L5.  All I got was bloated.  ( But, I didn't have the third ingredient that Whoopi ingests). lol.

Seriously, she has stated publicly that she vapes her (prescription) marijuana daily.  I don't know many employers that would want an employee to state publicly that they use marijuana (even with a prescription).  There were days where the old Whoopi would come to work looking/acting pretty stoned, but yesterday was a completely different story.  

The internet seems to be mysteriously quiet about it.  

• Love 6

I just watched Whoopi's return show from Tuesday and am struck by her lack of emotional intelligence. She had an opportunity to educate the audience about her back problem in a compelling way, like explaining when she first felt her back pains and how she tried to deal with it. Instead, she thought invoking a southern accent and making unfunny jokes about her age would have us all in stitches. I didn't laugh once. A person in power needs to tell Whoopi that she doesn't need to be "on" for us to be entertained, just be authentic.

She was not thinking clearly, she was high on pain killers.  

It's funny how sometimes blogs can miss stuff like this. Usually, I'm the rascal who sends tips to Gawker or other blogs when I notice something weird or interesting that no one is talking about (not really for this show), I should have as soon as the show ended yesterday because I knew right away something was up.

They looked so strange with a table full of those black chairs, like a group of super villains at Dr.Evil's conference table from Austin Powers.

I think now the show will finish the season a little early, and then be gone for good. I don't think they would want to even pay for a permanent 5th host at this point, so the try outs were probably just in vain and we will just see a rotating roster of the same guest hosts.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 5

A good guess is Whoopie's very high shoes are the culprit, chairs having little to do with it.  Those big black things did look ominous.  All Whoopie needed was a white cat in her lap.  Oh, and some well placed duct tape.  

This show will finish this season.  Next year, maybe not.  Whoopie has a contract, she won't be fired.  She just had back surgery and came back a little too soon and on meds.  Not a big deal, she did no harm.   Fun to watch!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

I respect Whoopi as an actress but I've never liked her in this role. She skated by for so long because dolts like Elisabeth and Sherri made her look like Einstein in comparison.

I could not agree more!    Back pain isn't funny, treatment isn't funny.  laugh about it at a later date, sure.  but now - tell us what went wrong, how to protect yourself from injury.  A serious medical problem can be addressed seriously.  And yeah -   the way she hobbled around in those ridiculous shoes certainly added to the problem.   Whoopi started wearing those stupid high shoes only recently - in her 50'S - they are NOT good for your feet, knees, hips, back.  I don't care how "comfortable"  she says they are - they cause damage, ask any orthopedic doctor.

• Love 5