Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

All of them are so special and it's hard for me to pick a favorite, but "Higher Ground" might be it.  I love Keb Mo and the story touches me every time.

Totally agree -- the lost letter mysteries are always well-done, unique and intriguing.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

All of them are so special and it's hard for me to pick a favorite, but "Higher Ground" might be it.  I love Keb Mo and the story touches me every time.

Totally agree -- the lost letter mysteries are always well-done, unique and intriguing.  

Yes, intriguing and, (oh my!) engaging mystery without murder? Unheard of, yet we crave more. I’ll take the intelligent, respectful, geeks any day. 

• Love 2

It had been so long since the last SS&D movie that it took me a while to actually get into this one, but once I reacclimated, I liked it.  I got a little confused following the ins and outs of the teddy bear plot, but in the end it was nice how the firefighters were there to cheer on the boy...they always manage to include a tearjerker aspect!

IRL, if a nice couple at your work offered to have you move into their house and basically help you rear your upcoming baby, after only knowing you about two weeks, you might be pretty suspicious!  I liked how they were able to show the aspects of Shane's mother that drove Shane crazy, but also show how she had a good heart.  And if there is another movie, will they try to hook up Shane's mom and Oliver's dad?

• LOL 1

Since I know Paul Campbell is a favorite here, just wanted to let those who are interested know that today at 1 p.m. on the Hallmark Channel USA Facebook page they're going to have a Facebook Live with Paul and Tamera Mowry-Housley about their new movie, The Santa Stakeout, which premieres Sunday night.

(I have a work meeting so I can't watch live, darn it, but hopefully they keep those FB Lives online for a while afterward.)

• Love 1

You, Me, and the Christmas Trees - fifty shades of awful.  The tree lot competitor may as well have had a big sign around his neck saying I'M THE BAD GUY.  His smirky attitude was so over the top it was laughable. 

The whole premise was laughable.  Ugh.  What a waste of time.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

You, Me, and the Christmas Trees - fifty shades of awful.  The tree lot competitor may as well have had a big sign around his neck saying I'M THE BAD GUY.  His smirky attitude was so over the top it was laughable. 

The whole premise was laughable.  Ugh.  What a waste of time.

I didn't want to be the first one to post about this.  It was beyond awful.  And Danica McKeller.  Bless her.  I read a couple of years ago that she is one of Hallmark's "Queens" ...  To me, she is one of the network's most bland actresses.  No inflection in her voice - no facial expressions other than "happy" or "sad" face.  Unless she has a charismatic co-star she simply cannot drive a movie.  For two hours!  None of the cast was appealing; the "villain" was cartoonish.  Epic fail.

• Love 6

You, Me & The Christmas Tree was like a holiday bath for me.  The plot wasn't interesting.  But it's the first holiday movie, it's a bit chilly here and I was surprisingly in the spirit.  So I cleaned a little bit.  Cooked a little bit.  Ate dinner a little bit.  And had this just took it in by osmosis yet I couldn't really tell you much about it. 

Except that when I read the description for it, I misread "arborist" as "abortionist" and thought Hallmark was really trying something new.

If it weren't the first movie, I would have turned it off but because it was, I just let myself soak it in a bit.

I am looking forward to the new movies coming up tonight and tomorrow as their plots are somewhat distinctive.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

You, Me & The Christmas Tree was like a holiday bath for me.  The plot wasn't interesting.  But it's the first holiday movie, it's a bit chilly here and I was surprisingly in the spirit. 

That's the way I felt, @Irlandesa. It wasn't a good movie, but it's been a really bad week at work and—to my surprise, because I'm usually not like this so early—I needed some holiday cheer. Doubt if I'll watch it again, but it served my purposes yesterday.

The one I'm really looking forward to is Paul Campbell's movie on Sunday night. 

• Love 6

Noticed a funny thing the last day or two.  Does anybody else remember that a few months ago (or last year) there was discussion on here about Hallmark holiday heroes being especially attractive in great white cable-knit sweaters?  It happened, really.

Well I am seeing a promo for the new Christmas movies with the wording superimposed over a -- white cable-knit sweater.

Coincidence ??  Or do producers, as I have read, really cruise these pages to learn what we're thinking?

If so, Hi Producers!  And Costumers, keep those sweaters coming.  

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, kirinan said:

That's the way I felt, @Irlandesa. It wasn't a good movie, but it's been a really bad week at work and—to my surprise, because I'm usually not like this so early—I needed some holiday cheer. Doubt if I'll watch it again, but it served my purposes yesterday.

You, Me and the Christmas Trees - I liked it. I didn't like Danica with Benjamin though. I liked the plot. It was different from any other Hallmark movie and I do not believe there has ever been an aborist in any HM movie thus far.

The snow was awfully fake. What was that???? CGI? My goodness, the snow never made it past anyone's shoulders. It just sort of dissipated even though the flakes were about the size of a dime. (a bit of exaggeration there but you know what I mean). They have to do better than that for snow fall.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Anyone watch tonight’s movie? 

Boyfriends of Christmas Past

Finally one that was not only unusual but had diversity.  Writing was way above the usual drivel despite some of the standard things (hot chocolate and gingerbread are a theme).  I quite liked it.  Raymond Ablack is gorgeous.

• Love 3

I thought it started off a bit wobbly but gradually improved as it went on.  Or I got more into it as it moved on.

I wish they had given a little more space between his declaration of love, her epiphany and him accepting that epiphany (I'd think he'd have some questions about what made her realize she felt the same way) but it ended up being a minor quibble. 

6 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Raymond Ablack is gorgeous.

Yes.  I really liked seeing an actor of Indian descent as the male love interest.  He was gorgeous.

• Love 2

I had high hopes for Boyfriends of Christmas Past and am so happy it didn’t disappoint. An interesting plot with a cast that felt realistically diverse. I always prefer Christmas movies that focus more on the lead characters journey rather than just being a romance. I loved that Nate called her on her behavior, walked away and would have moved on. That kind of conflict works so much better than a stupid misunderstanding. 

I kept seeing promos for The Santa Stakeout and am loving that it has the feel of a mystery promo. 

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Raymond Ablack is gorgeous.

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes.  I really liked seeing an actor of Indian descent as the male love interest.  He was gorgeous.

Yes he is. Such a great change from Hallmark’s many interchangeable male leads. I really hope we see him in more movies. I’d also love to see the actor who played Lauren’s college boyfriend in more movies. 

Edited by Guest

Yes, more Raymond Ablack please. He really sold the sad, longing best friend well especially with those beautiful eyes. I also loved that her ex boyfriends were also diverse, and they showed her Korean family with a little bit of Korean baking in there. Plus, one of their friends was a gay couple, so that should put all the nutty homophobes in an uproar on social media. I am loving all of it.

I also may have shed a tear or two at his reveal to her, probably because it was realistic that he  was hurt and walked away and went on with his life. I loved that they were both single and no boyfriend/girlfriend crap involved (I hate those movies), and there was no misunderstanding. Definitely going to rewatch this one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Any news on when the hour special of Countdown to Christmas will air? Or have I missed it?

I usually catch it when they post it on YouTube since I’m not in the US but it helps me choose which movies to check out every year. Haven’t seen it posted anywhere yet.

Totally agree with the comments on the "villain" from You, Me & the Christmas Trees.  Is he a real actor?  I literally cringed.  Other than that and the fact that I kept wondering if you could really see a difference in a cut evergreen after a few hours, I didn't hate it.  I like Danica, and I usually like Ben Ayers, but at times thought the character came off as very young & immature, which didn't suit him.  

Liked Boyfriends of Christmas Past - a good story portrayed by good actors.

I may have been the only viewer, but I also re-watched If I Only Had Christmas yesterday.  I like it more and more each time.   

17 minutes ago, GeorgiaRai said:

Totally agree with the comments on the "villain" from You, Me & the Christmas Trees.  Is he a real actor?  I literally cringed.  Other than that and the fact that I kept wondering if you could really see a difference in a cut evergreen after a few hours, I didn't hate it.  I like Danica, and I usually like Ben Ayers, but at times thought the character came off as very young & immature, which didn't suit him.  

Jason Hervey is definitely a real actor — he played Fred Savage's bullying older brother on the original The Wonder Years with Danica McKellar and has done much more acting since then — but I agree he played a moustache-twirling villain here and it was kind of awful.  

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 6

Some movie recommendations  on Hallmark Movies Now (I subscribe through Amazon because using the hallmark app was a horrible experience).  

Fallen Angel 

Saint Maybe

Hitched for the Holidays 

Rose Hill

A Season for Miracles

Follow the Stars Home

What the Deaf Man Heard

Once Upon a Winter’s Date

In From the Night

Loving Leah

Smooch

The Magic of Ordinary Days

The Outsider

An Uncommon Grace

Smart Cookies

Cupid and Cate

Bridal Wave

Surpised  by Love

A Stranger’s Heart

The Love Letter

The Lost Valentine

Remember Sunday 

Our Son, The Matchmaker 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

Some movie recommendations...

Great list!  Lots of my favorites back when there was quality in writing and acting and we didn't see the same mediocre actors over and over.

• Love 2

22 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

You, Me & The Christmas Tree was like a holiday bath for me.  The plot wasn't interesting.  But it's the first holiday movie, it's a bit chilly here and I was surprisingly in the spirit.  So I cleaned a little bit.  Cooked a little bit.  Ate dinner a little bit.  And had this just took it in by osmosis yet I couldn't really tell you much about it. 

Agreed.  I wasn't crazy about it (liked the guy, not necessarily Danika) but I was just happy that a new movie was on.  I re-watched Christmas At Starlight right before the Boyfriends of Christmas Past was on, so I wasn't in the mood for it and watched the ball game instead.  Sounds like I should check it out one of the ten times it will be rerun today.

21 hours ago, kirinan said:

Oh, yeah.  Eating dinner early and kicking my daughter out by 8 (because she will just roll her eyes and laugh at me.)

• Love 1
On 8/8/2021 at 11:01 AM, Luckylyn said:

Autumn Reeser and Andrew Walker are favorites of mine so I was looking forward to The 27 Hour Day.  They had chemistry, but I found I was a bit bored.  I fast forwarded through parts of it.  Maybe my expectations were too high because I am a fan of the actors? 

I’m trying to catch up on the movies on my DVR now that we are being bombarded with Christmas movies, because I do record them all (eep). I am so bored with this movie. I just checked how far along I am and it’s only been 17 minutes. I thought for sure I was at least 30 min in by now. I’ll try to stick it out… I do like the lead actors. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

I usually like Ben Ayers, but at times thought the character came off as very young & immature, which didn't suit him.  

At one point, the characters were looking at Christmas ornaments and he mentioned one that had a picture of him as a baby as being from “27 years ago”.  That was a joke, yes?  Because surely they don’t expect us to believe that either character/ actor is anywhere near 27?  I mean we viewers may not be that discriminating, but they cannot possibly expect us to buy those two as under-30’s.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

At one point, the characters were looking at Christmas ornaments and he mentioned one that had a picture of him as a baby as being from “27 years ago”.  That was a joke, yes?  Because surely they don’t expect us to believe that either character/ actor is anywhere near 27?  I mean we viewers may not be that discriminating, but they cannot possibly expect us to buy those two as under-30’s.

I had the same thought. I don't know how old the actor is, but I know Danica McKeller is older than me because I've been watching her on TV since I was a kid. And if the guy was supposed to be 27, that would be a big age difference. 

Why not just not mention an age at all? It was not at all necessary to the story. They could have just mentioned the ornament being from when he was a baby and left it at that.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, twoods said:

Ben Ayers is 44, so to portray him as 27 is laughable. Hallmark doesn’t even try anymore.

I honestly don't think that's what Hallmark was trying to do. No, I can't know what was in the writer's head, but it definitely came across to me as a joke. He said it with a kind of "and if you believe THAT I have a bridge to sell you..." look on his face, and she either smiled or laughed (I can't remember now) like she knew what he was doing.

It reminded me very much of the way my grandma always said she was 39 with a wink, until she died in her 80s.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I had the same thought. I don't know how old the actor is, but I know Danica McKeller is older than me because I've been watching her on TV since I was a kid. And if the guy was supposed to be 27, that would be a big age difference. 

Why not just not mention an age at all? It was not at all necessary to the story. They could have just mentioned the ornament being from when he was a baby and left it at that.

I caught that too. Benjamin Ayers is 44. That is a stretch that we are to believe he was 27.

On 10/23/2021 at 7:24 PM, twoods said:

Anyone watch tonight’s movie? It has potential since the actors are new to Hallmark and there’s diversity. I liked the lead actor in Ginny and Georgia.

I knew I had seen the male lead somewhere but couldn't recall until my daughter happened to pass by the tv and said:  "Hey, that's the guy from Ginny and Georgia."

On 10/23/2021 at 8:47 PM, Cetacean said:

Boyfriends of Christmas Past

Finally one that was not only unusual but had diversity.  Writing was way above the usual drivel despite some of the standard things (hot chocolate and gingerbread are a theme).  I quite liked it.  Raymond Ablack is gorgeous.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:54 PM, Irlandesa said:

I thought it started off a bit wobbly but gradually improved as it went on.  Or I got more into it as it moved on.

I wish they had given a little more space between his declaration of love, her epiphany and him accepting that epiphany (I'd think he'd have some questions about what made her realize she felt the same way) but it ended up being a minor quibble. 

22 hours ago, Dani said:

I had high hopes for Boyfriends of Christmas Past and am so happy it didn’t disappoint. An interesting plot with a cast that felt realistically diverse. I always prefer Christmas movies that focus more on the lead characters journey rather than just being a romance. I loved that Nate called her on her behavior, walked away and would have moved on. That kind of conflict works so much better than a stupid misunderstanding. 

Yes he is. Such a great change from Hallmark’s many interchangeable male leads. I really hope we see him in more movies. I’d also love to see the actor who played Lauren’s college boyfriend in more movies. 

21 hours ago, twoods said:

Yes, more Raymond Ablack please. He really sold the sad, longing best friend well especially with those beautiful eyes. I also loved that her ex boyfriends were also diverse, and they showed her Korean family with a little bit of Korean baking in there. Plus, one of their friends was a gay couple, so that should put all the nutty homophobes in an uproar on social media. I am loving all of it.

I also may have shed a tear or two at his reveal to her, probably because it was realistic that he  was hurt and walked away and went on with his life. I loved that they were both single and no boyfriend/girlfriend crap involved (I hate those movies), and there was no misunderstanding. Definitely going to rewatch this one.

I want to ITA to all the comments about the great diversity in Boyfriends of Christmas Past. It was really quite refreshing that it wasn't just tokenism diversity. Great point too about bringing in some Korean culture (calling her father Appa, the references to soju and red bean paste). Also, unless I'm mistaken, they actually cast actors of Korean heritage (lead female, her dad and her stepmom) who are truly of Korean ancestry. Usually, popular culture lumps us East Asians as one interchangeable mass. Essentially, the old canard: "You all look alike".

The one thing that didn't work for me was Lauren not remembering her high school boyfriend (skateboy). If they just went together to the Winter Formal as each other's date, I could see why Lauren wouldn't remember him AT ALL initially. But he was her BOYFRIEND and *still looked the way he looked in high school* (Lauren even remarked on this) but she didn't know who he was?!  If skateboy looked 15-20 years older, ok, yeah, I can see her not recognizing him, but c'mon - he looked the same!  Sheesh!

I'm not curious enough to look it up, but the lead actress made me think of Daniel Dae Kim (the eyes and face shape). I wonder if they're related.

21 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Not only was there a gay couple but one boyfriend asked her to *gasp* cohabitate.

Yep, yep, yep.  Color me shocked when I heard that line. Wow - such a departure for Hallmark to acknowledge that IRL, couples do live together before (or even without benefit of) marriage.

So I also watched The Christmas Wish Project. Gee, the female lead (Lucy) was so damn pushy! I wanted to smack her for how often she overrode the Christmas tree lot guy (Cullen) who wanted a low key marriage proposal idea. Lucy kept making it more and more of a production and making it all about her instead of hearing what Cullen was telling her. Also, you'd think Lucy would know her best friend/business partner and know what kind of proposal she'd want.

But this movie surprised me in two ways:

1) Lucy actually said that she's divorced (she said it in TWO different scenes!). I didn't think divorce existed in the Hallmark world

2) the dad (portrayed by major hottie Travis Van Winkle) thoughtfully and realistically portrayed a widower who struggled with his feelings about moving on (guilt and feeling he would forget his dead wife if he did move on). Of course, being Hallmark he overcame that feeling VERY SOON after. He tells Lucy he doesn't feel ready to move on and isn't sure when he will feel ready and then BAM! two scenes later, he's moved on.  Oh Hallmark...

That annoying noise that plays after every commercial break to promote ALL NEW is going to get old very quickly. What’s the point? I keep wondering why there’s random tinkling noise in the middle of a serious scene.

The Santa Stakeout was pretty funny. It was nice to have a movie that had mystery and humor with some romance thrown in, and it was different than the usual small town Christmas storyline. It kept me interested and I liked Tamera and Paul’s banter and chemistry. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, norcalgal said:

2) the dad (portrayed by major hottie Travis Van Winkle) thoughtfully and realistically portrayed a widower who struggled with his feelings about moving on (guilt and feeling he would forget his dead wife if he did move on). Of course, being Hallmark he overcame that feeling VERY SOON after. He tells Lucy he doesn't feel ready to move on and isn't sure when he will feel ready and then BAM! two scenes later, he's moved on.  Oh Hallmark...

Agreed.  Especially about Travis Van Winkle  😍 I liked that the conflict moment came because he was unsure about moving on, not because someone overheard half a comment and jumped to conclusions.

I was so excited to watch The Santa Stakeout because Paul Campbell is my Hallmark husband.  It was funny, as was he, but there was zero chemistry between him and the girl (Tamara someone-someone.) I don't know if it was the actress or the character, but she was a bitch every time she opened her mouth.  I get that these movies start out with the characters at loggerheads but even after she should have softened, every comment was snide.  I can't help wondering how the movie would have been with Kimberly Sustad in the lead.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed The Santa Stakeout.  Maybe because the plot was a bit different; the casting was really good because the couple was an unlikely pairing.  Paul Campbell is wonderful because he is not "a hunk" - but he has a kind of twinkle-in-his-eye humor that most handsomely bland Hallmark leading men do not have.  

The actress (Tia Mowry?) did not have long flowing locks or beachy waves.  A very nice change.  I thought all her "wisecracks" were good-humored; and so were his.  I love Joe Pantoliano (sp?) and thought he was a bit of a casting coup; he wasn't the usual grizzled good-natured curmudgeon.  The neighbors were a bit creepily overly-friendly but not anything that we aren't used to seeing in Hallmark movies.  All in all, I think it was one of the better movies; but I think maybe some viewers could have been a bit disappointed.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, StrictTime said:

It was a joke. Good lord.

I didn't take it as a joke. I guess I missed the humor in it. I will watch that scene again. Be back in a minute. Looking for the scene on my DVR........................

I watched the scene three times. I still do not detect humor as if to say, "hell no, I'm not really 27". They both do chuckle but I think that is because they agree it is "so wonderful" that the ornament has so much meaning and is cherished by him. They chuckled because of the sentiment he has for the ornament.

I may be totally wrong in my "take" but that is the way I read that scene.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I was so excited to watch The Santa Stakeout because Paul Campbell is my Hallmark husband.  It was funny, as was he, but there was zero chemistry between him and the girl (Tamara someone-someone.) I don't know if it was the actress or the character, but she was a bitch every time she opened her mouth.  I get that these movies start out with the characters at loggerheads but even after she should have softened, every comment was snide.  I can't help wondering how the movie would have been with Kimberly Sustad in the lead.

It's funny because as I was watching The Santa Stakeout, I wondered what bankerchick would think!  Paul Campbell is my Hallmark boyfriend too -- I find him to be very cute and his smarts and humor are right up my alley.  I'm bummed to say this, but this movie didn't do it for me.  It was almost too glib and snarky.  I have never NOT liked a Paul Campbell movie.  I didn't hate it, but I was disappointed and unlike his others, I won't seek out a rewatch.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, luvthepros said:
16 hours ago, StrictTime said:

It was a joke. Good lord.

I didn't take it as a joke. I guess I missed the humor in it. I will watch that scene again. Be back in a minute. Looking for the scene on my DVR........................

I watched the scene three times. I still do not detect humor as if to say, "hell no, I'm not really 27". They both do chuckle but I think that is because they agree it is "so wonderful" that the ornament has so much meaning and is cherished by him. They chuckled because of the sentiment he has for the ornament.

Funny, this moment stood out for me as well.  I think he said something about having the ornament since he was a kid and when he said 27 years, I thought 'yeah right,' and honestly, expected at this point that they would break out laughing, yet they didn't and seemed to play it straight, which was weird.

10 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

It's funny because as I was watching The Santa Stakeout, I wondered what bankerchick would think!  Paul Campbell is my Hallmark boyfriend too -- I find him to be very cute and his smarts and humor are right up my alley.  I'm bummed to say this, but this movie didn't do it for me.  It was almost too glib and snarky.  I have never NOT liked a Paul Campbell movie.  I didn't hate it, but I was disappointed and unlike his others, I won't seek out a rewatch.

Ha ha!  Thanks for thinking of me!  I will admit I agree with much of what you say.  The glibness especially.  Maybe I am just trying to defend Paul, but I thought he went a little over the top sometimes to perhaps compensate for the shortcomings of the actress.  It seems there are differing opinions on the chemistry so I guess I would say this:  if you want to watch Paul Campbell being funny and charming in a work setting, check out Window Wonderland.  He and Chyler Lee have serious chemistry and he is really sweet.  In fact, I might watch that one tonight.  I have Santa Stakeout on PVR and will probably watch it again, but it was not my favourite.

• Love 1

I'm happy On the 12th Date of Christmas is on tonight. I first saw it during this past Christmas in July, but always managed to miss the first 30 minutes. 

I didn't realize Boyfriends of Christmas Past already aired so will have to check it out when it airs this week.

7 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I may be totally wrong in my "take" but that is the way I read that scene.

I agree, if it was meant to be a joke, it totally missed the mark. I didn't get that at all.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Kemper said:

I really enjoyed The Santa Stakeout.  Maybe because the plot was a bit different; the casting was really good because the couple was an unlikely pairing.  Paul Campbell is wonderful because he is not "a hunk" - but he has a kind of twinkle-in-his-eye humor that most handsomely bland Hallmark leading men do not have.

I don't normally watch Hallmark Christmas movies.  They aren't to my taste usually when I've forayed into them I've found them a little sickly sweet.  And if I am gonna watch a romance I want a little heat.  But I happened upon this one and was pleasantly surprised.  I liked the little mystery element and thought the two leads were nicely snarky toward each other.  The dialogue had a nice funny bite to it.  And I actually laughed at some of it, like the main guy's 'What are we? Poodles?' when she brought out the matching ugly sweaters.  Or the slo-mo walk into the party in their elf costumes.  And the utter glee they both had as they were arresting the thief.  I actually enjoyed this.

• Love 5

Thanks to those of you who suggested Advice to Love By. I really enjoyed it and liked the chemistry with the leads, although the ending was rushed. I wish they showed the article he was writing about by being Mr. Lovestruck and why she was so against it. It was one of the better non-holiday ones this year.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed The Santa Stakeout .  I appreciated a different kind if story with the mystery and the humor.   I thought Paul and Tamara were a good combo.   I wouldn’t mind another movie of them working another case.

• Love 7