Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

To top it off, the ad they came up with for Christmas (even though it's too late to actually do a Christmas campaign) sucked.  It wouldn't make me want to buy a phone; it'd make me want to buy a snow blower. 

That is what I thought as well. I was like are you selling a snowblower or a phone? I too, thought that the company with the phone was a bit late in the game for Christmas advertising, since that starts almost around Halloween these days.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Kaoteek said:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I struggle so much with ad agency-based movies : more often than not, the characters are supposed to be those brilliant ad creators, but the movie writers are really not, and the "ads" tend to be mediocre, at best.

That and no movie about creating a holiday ad should take place during the holiday. We're not stupid we know companies plan their holiday campaigns months in advance.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I finally got around to A Bramble House Christmas.  I didn't like it as much as many here.  It was put together rather well with good leads but I think there was too much of the kid for me.  And it annoyed me that the sister had to go from being someone who didn't seem as convinced as her brother that Autumn's character had manipulated her late father to becoming the vigilant "we must expose her" once the movie had made the male lead fall in love with Autumn.  And as soon as she blew everything up, she decided she was wrong.  The contrivances, like always getting interrupted before he could confess, bugged more than usual.

I didn't mind the kid so much, but otherwise I completely agree with this. Just hadn't bothered to post since it seemed this was just another movie where I disagreed with everyone else. I had the same exact thought about how the sister wasn't convinced they should take action in the beginning and then all of the sudden she was the villain later. 

I haven't finished Mistletoe Inn yet because my family's DVR seemed to mess up the recording and keeps freezing and turning off at the same exact point in the movie (almost as if it was a messed up VCR tape). Will have to try again at the next airing. So far I like it more than I expected to. I also like that they are using a different building for the inn - I'm getting sick of the same exact town locations and the same houses/inns. Another problem with so many movies.

21 hours ago, voiceover said:

Co-sign.  And maybe a scene where she catches him shoveling out the stable.  Shirtless & sweaty.

Anybody here write fanfic?

Dude! I'm so tempted to write an extended version of this and a sequel. It lives in my head but I may put it to paper if I get ambitious enough. I really want to read a book version of this with all this added in!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, twoods said:

a few extra minutes of flirting with eachother would have been nice to see. 

I certainly wouldn't have minded more scenes of overt flirting, in addition to all of the "eye flirting" they were doing across rooms. I loved the movie but definitely would not have complained about more scenes. Haven't read fanfic in forever, but I could go for that, too.

23 hours ago, Kaoteek said:

Can't say I've been particularly convinced by With Love, Christmas. I liked both leads, but the supporting cast was unmemorable, & the overall Secret Santa meets You've got mail plot just left me really cold. Also, ad agencies with office rivalries are amongst the settings I just don't care for, in a rom-com, so it didn't help.

(on another note, the snow was all over the place... real, fake, none, stock shots, foam, cheap artificial snow...  and let's not forget the occasional close-up with digital snow added on top)

I so agree. I was looking forward to this one but it fell flat for me for many of the reasons stated above. Plus the little things like the boy wrapping the scarf around the wobbly snowman, the stunt ice skaters, and the CG rink kind of bugged me, too. Normally, I would overlook them if the chemistry and story grabbed me, but it stood out. I liked the dude in 12 Gifts but I'm wondering why he was stiffer this time around.

It didn't help that I kept thinking of the McSweeney's Christmas For Christmas screenplay while watching - https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/early-draft-of-hallmark-movie-screenplay-christmas-for-christmas

• Love 2

I like With Love Christmas enough, but probably because the lead actress carried this movie. The actor was okay, but this is the second time he's played an uptight, stiff character and with the way he acts, that's probably for the best. He was better as the movie went along, but there was something missing that would have made this movie very good. I liked the other secret Santa movie from a few years ago, On the Twelfth Day of Christmas, much better.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Oh my my! I’ve never watched Hallmark movies that I can recall but I was home alone on Thanksgiving and feeling sorry for myself so I turned the channel on and left it on. What fun and enjoyable fluff! They reminded a great deal of the old Harlequin books I read as a kid. My aunt had some from the 60s and 70s that I was allowed to read because they were clean, if formulaic. These movies felt similar. They are like cotton candy to me: sweet, light, and easily forgotten. I’m hooked!

They are unrealistic and goofy but I don’t care. I love the over the top Christmas themes and the dependable happy ending. There’s tons of Christmas decorations, instant best friends, a caring family, a handsome and available love interest, and a job or passion the lead is already invested in or stumbles onto. It’s a nice break from the grim-dark of a lot of TV these days and the real world as well.

I like that the movies end so quickly with the happily ever after so there’s no life after non-perfection to mess with. I also noticed that quite a few of the actresses seemed to have on less makeup than seems to be the standard for TV now. The lack of false eyelashes, heavy winged eyeliner, and highlight set to blind was a nice change of pace. I love makeup  and playing with it, but the full face glam is something I tend to reserve for special occasions so I appreciated the more subtle looks.

I think I’m rambling now so I’ll stop. I’m happy I found my way to the hot cocoa soothing warmth of these movies on what was a bit of a downer of a day. It didn’t completely make me forget my Thanksgiving solitude, but it was a brightly lit, garland laden distraction that helped. 

• Love 16

@ramble that's exactly why I love these movies too and don't judge them too harshly. I love the happy, festive, formulaic plot, and I never have to worry about anything truly bad happening. It's magical the peace of mine this fluff can bring! 

I liked With Love, Christmas. I thought the leads had decent chemistry, and even though the guy was playing a very similar role to his role on 12 Gifts of Christmas, I thought he did ok. 

I also liked what I saw of Finding Santa last night, and think Eric Winter should be in more Hallmark movies. He seemed very natural and convincing. Jodie Sweetin over acted at times, but again, I don't mind because I have pretty low standards for these movies.

Chiming in late on these, but I also loved Bramble House Christmas and A Song for Christmas, also thought Enchanted Christmas was fun. 

• Love 2

Trying to catch up on my recorded movies so I'm watching Home for Christmas Day. Even though I like Victor Webster, this movie is boring me to tears. I don't know if it's the mood I'm in or what, but this may be one I don't finish.

6 minutes ago, DanaMB said:

Trying to catch up on my recorded movies so I'm watching Home for Christmas Day. Even though I like Victor Webster, this movie is boring me to tears. I don't know if it's the mood I'm in or what, but this may be one I don't finish.

My technique for when there's a movie or show I don't like, but the star is one of my favorite actors (of which Victor Webster is DEFINITELY one), is to just FF to all their scenes, watch those, and then delete. I've seen enough of these movies and read enough romances that I can fill in the plot in my head, and I still get the pretty. 

• Love 5

Kinda underwhelmed by Mistletoe Inn.

I don't know if it's Witt's acting (granted, she toned it down compared to last year, but she's still overreacting a lot, and she tends to default to a recurring half-smirk when she's acting), the awful fake snow spewing horizontally from the sides of the screen every time the characters get outside (Hallmark should really drop a couple of movies from their schedule, and up the artificial snow budget), the overall plot (there was kind of a disconnect, for me, between the big speeches on the craft of writing, the importance of needing a great title and having detailed characters that feel real, the seriousness of some parts, etc, and the fact that in the end, it was a very basic & simplistic Hallmark holiday romance, by holiday romance writers, about holiday romance writers, without much depth or originality, and with a lead character that hasn't written or published anything in her life, but can't help to pout & nearly give up when people tell her she should rework her first draft), the so-so pace, or the romance (I like David Alpay, he's a good and likeable actor, but every now and then, I can't help but feel a "sassy gay bff" vibe from him, instead of romantic leading man), but it bugged me a bit.

Didn't hate it, but I probably won't rewatch it.

(the father's dog was adorable, though. The movie would have been better with 200% more dog, and 200% less cliché ex-boyfriend)

Edited by Kaoteek
  • Love 2

I was happy that the leads in Misteltoe Inn could act.  I just find Alicia Witt’s mouth so distracting.  I know that’s awful to say and I was planning on skipping her movie because of it.  It got OK reviews here and so I watched it.  It was fine.  That’s pretty much my highest praise.  

I see there’s a movie coming up with Ashley Williams - - I just find her too grating in these saccharine movies.  Too wide-eyed or manic or something.  Alternately, she was great in the Jim Gaffigan show and in the movie, Something Borrowed.  I’ll probably skip that one.  

• Love 4

I just watched Christmas Festival of Ice where the lead tries to save an annual ice sculpture contest and was bored to tears.  I'm currently watching Christmas in the Air with Catherine Bell and Eric Close - I like it so far, but mostly because I like Eric Close.

On 11/24/2017 at 1:25 AM, Irlandesa said:

One thing I love about the numerous Christmas movies is that sometimes the supporting actors get to move to lead which is what happened with A Gift to Remember and With Love, Christmas where Dale from Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies became the lead. I just wish they had been slightly better movies.  While I liked the actors in With Love, Christmas, I am sick of movies that are so focused on the specifics of Christmas.  On the surface, it was about creating an advertising campaign, but really it was about getting the male lead to love Christmas so he could help her create the campaign.  They wasted so much of the movie liking Christmas cookies and lights and so many things that have no narrative value. 

The actress, Emilie Ullerup, that played Dale in the Signed, Sealed, Delivered movies and starred in With Love, Christmas is now appearing in the Chesapeake Shores series on Hallmark. I've noticed that Hallmark does their best to get their TV series actors into movies year round, and typically as leads when they can and with there being so many more movies over the holidays, we can see it now for sure. This can be a good thing (like Emilie) or a not so good thing (in my opinion, Erin Krakow is an underwhelming actress and gets too many lead roles due to starring in When Calls the Heart). I do feel like a true downside to getting actresses like like this more leading roles is that actresses who are not as well known and who are not in one of their shows, but proven to be good as leads don't get as many leading roles as they should, like Kimberly Sustad of Nine Lives of Christmas. So even though they will play Nine Lives like 30 times over the next month because it's clearly one of the most loved ones, Kimberly has only appeared as a supporting character in Hallmark movies since starring in that one.

• Love 7

Binged watched today and I thoroughly enjoyed each one.

First  maybe..The Sweetest Christmas? was a baker in a gingerbread contest where my son pointed out the ending while walking through the room to leave for work...lol

Second one was my favorite..The Christmas Secret.  I loved the leads and the supporting cast 

Now I'm watching the Christmas Train..looking forward to it.  

I already set the DVR for Mistletoe Inn and Cameron Bure as twins..Switched Christmas?

Probably party of one but I hate Alicia Witt.  I remember her from some movies last year.  Ugh.. maybe Mistletoe Inn will change my mind.

Clearing out the DVR now...lol

Watching The Christmas Train. Kimberly Williams is out in a snowstorm with snowshoes trying to get help for the stuck train, but is not wearing a hat? I am not sensing any chemistry between Kimberly and Dermot. The fake snow and fake background shots look REALLY fake.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, 7-Zark-7 said:

Ugh! I’m not sure what key Candace Cameron Bure speaks in, so I just call it “annoyance”.

Her shrieking at us during commercials is annoying as hell. It's not even in a regular voice- she has that same fake smile plastered on her face while she is yelling at all of us about how MAGICAL Christmas is. 

• Love 2

Even though I like Candace, I have to agree about those commercials.   Yikes.  Too much, too loud, too manic.  

The Christmas Train was fun.  I liked the background mystery of the petty thief, although if Dirty Dancing taught me anything, it's that the sweet old person is the one doing the thieving.  No surprise there.

The ending was too rushed and hokey and I could have done without the insta-proposal, but this is one I might want to rewatch sometime.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, VartanFan said:

I see there’s a movie coming up with Ashley Williams - - I just find her too grating in these saccharine movies.  Too wide-eyed or manic or something.  Alternately, she was great in the Jim Gaffigan show and in the movie, Something Borrowed.  I’ll probably skip that one.  

I really liked her in Nora Roberts's Montana Sky where I first saw her and I felt the same way when I started seeing her pop up on Hallmark and Lifetime. It's was jarring then and now. I'm still used to her sarcastic, tomboy self.

I saw Finding Santa while manically cooking so I was a bit lost on some points (like why they needed Eric Winter -- who reminds me too much of Sam Page for some reason -- in particular) so I'll probably rewatch it later. It seemed okay but nothing that may go on my faves list. I really liked The Mistletoe Inn but mainly because of the writing theme, the quips, the inn, and the leads. 

I haven't had a chance to see The Christmas Train yet but it's on the dvr. I'll probably catch it when I get some alone time and indulge in some cocoa and cookies.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, MissyPoo said:

I really liked her in Nora Roberts's Montana Sky where I first saw her and I felt the same way when I started seeing her pop up on Hallmark and Lifetime. It's was jarring then and now.

The Hallmark movie with the tree...the character (or her portrayal?) was so annoying that i wanted to grab a chainsaw and cut down the tree myself.    

• Love 2
1 hour ago, VartanFan said:

The Hallmark movie with the tree...the character (or her portrayal?) was so annoying that i wanted to grab a chainsaw and cut down the tree myself.    

Yeah, that one was a disaster. In fact, I've liked Ashley Williams in everything i've seen her in, from Good Morning Miami to How I Met Your Mother to that Hallmark Halloween movie, but... Love on a Limb just doesn't work, and the writing was a big part of the problem. Pushy, self-entitled characters rarely work, especially with Hallmark-type writing.

I think i'm gonna skip the Christmas Train (not a big fan of Mulroney), and maybe CCB's movie (one CCB is enough, no need for twins).

• Love 2

I watched the repeat of Finding Father Christmas on Friday and the new Engaging Father Christmas last night. They're very pleasant to watch. Looking forward to Marrying Father Christmas next year, followed by a number of births over the following several years!

• Love 3

It didn't help that I kept thinking of the McSweeney's Christmas For Christmas screenplay while watching - https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/early-draft-of-hallmark-movie-screenplay-christmas-for-christmas

That was delightful, thank you!

• Love 1

Quite enjoyed Finding Santa, despite the usual tropes (McSweeney's Christmas for Christmas wasn't too far from this one) & forced moments (hey, another kooky redhead bff !), and the occasional weird angle on an actor's face. It didn't take itself too seriously, the lead couple had nice chemistry, Sweetin is likeable & always brings some bite to her banter, which worked well here, and overall, I hope she'll become a semi regular presence, kinda like CCB.

That said, I kinda agree with Kacey Bange's review : it really was nothing more than a "Santa's head elf at the Pole goes back in the world to find Santa's son in order to save Christmas" type of movie, only brought back to Hallmark rom-com levels of "realism". Too bad, I'd have liked an all-out Santa/magical movie.

• Love 3
On 11/24/2017 at 8:10 PM, MissyPoo said:

I'm pretty sure Christmas for Christmas will turn out to be my favorite Hallmark Christmas movie EVER.  Because to prove how spot-on it is, earlier today (before I read Christmas for Christmas) I tried an experiment on With Love, Christmas. On a total whim (and the wish for silence at that point in my day), I watched the entire movie with the sound off, and I STILL had no problem figuring out what was going on.

That may be an option for those who can't stand Candace Cameron Bure's voice. 

• Love 1

I do wonder what happened with CCB's voice because it was lower when she was in full house originally.

Sweetin should do more hallmark movies, she's got enough edge and bite in her line delivery that she doesn't come across like a typical hallmark movie actor

On 11/25/2017 at 4:39 PM, VartanFan said:

I was happy that the leads in Misteltoe Inn could act.  I just find Alicia Witt’s mouth so distracting.  I know that’s awful to say and I was planning on skipping her movie because of it.  It got OK reviews here and so I watched it.  It was fine.  That’s pretty much my highest praise.    

I’m so glad someone brought this up.  I have thought that about her for a couple of years.  The mouth manipulations, I think, causes her speech patterns to sound forced, and just might contribute to the idea of her overacting.  

I just can’t put my finger on CCB’s vocalizations, but they seem to come and go.  It’s not nasal, like she’s got an adenoids problem, but it’s not really a true vocal fry either.  Maybe it’s a nasal fry?   Regardless, it can be annoying. 

I liked Christmas Train, especially the little surprise at the end. And of course I love Danny Glover.  

• Love 4
On 11/17/2017 at 1:37 PM, Kaoteek said:

Eh, I like Alicia Witt, but... she was overacting like crazy in her last Christmas movie, to the point of appearing half-drunk all the time, and it only seems to get worse as years go by, so i'm kinda fearing the worst for the 2017 movie.

On 11/17/2017 at 10:13 PM, MissyPoo said:

That's true. She did seem a little drunk in that Christmas List one.

Cannot. Unsee. Drunk-acting. (Even though I did like Christmas List)

It does explain a lot of the excessive mugging and face-pulling. I do prefer her to the earnest head nodding/head shaking Lacey Chabert though.

On 11/19/2017 at 0:16 AM, Irlandesa said:

I had to laugh when she burst into the room she was staying in to find her love interest since it's normally his room.  That room?  Smaller than my room.  Seriously, for such a HUGE house, as we were told, that bedroom was pathetic in size. 

On 11/21/2017 at 4:28 PM, twoods said:

and that bedroom was laughable.

On 11/21/2017 at 4:43 PM, 7-Zark-7 said:

The very least they could have done was chosen a living room or family room from the house and put his bedroom furniture in it, to make the home seem larger. Or, you know, put up substantial Christmas decorations other than say four garlands here and there. The set designer was in a deep funk on this one.

I did laugh at that too. Setting aside the sheer contrivance of having the estate manager stay in the room that an actual family member uses, it seemed like a small, windowless storage room without any decorations. The bed was tiny, too, and looked like one of the set displays for Bed in a Bag from Bed, Bath and Beyond. 

I also laughed at the scene with Danica McKellar's character dressed in matching pajamas with her sister and mother. I know it was meant to show how close they were, but all I could think was "was there a sale?" The living room they were in was way more luxe than anything at the mansion.

Wasn't this also reminiscent of the movie Sabrina, with Humphrey Bogart/Harrison Ford as the stick-in-the-mud older brother and William Holden/Greg Kinnear playboy younger brother? I don't know what it was about Andrew Francis, but his character never seemed like a serious contender from the get-go.

I'm also a huge fan of Crown for Christmas, and this newer movie isn't even fit to be mentioned in the same sentence for comparison. The social awkwardness that worked in other films like CFC for Danica McKellar's character was almost unwatchable here. CFC would also have interesting direction choices, like closeups of the tea service while tea was being poured, as reminders that this was a luxurious setting even if corners were being cut elsewhere. As for Coming Home for Christmas--it was really hard to buy how DM's character was now a sought-after event producer on the basis of that lackluster holiday gala. They must have really rushed through production and filming--this same kind of slap-dash detailing wasn't noticeable in the director's other Hallmark movies.

It did get points for acknowledging the sister's annoyance at losing out on the sale of the mansion, but that she would be getting other work. 

Might be worth checking out the CfC director's other 2017 fims: A Christmas Prince and Christmas in Evergreen.

On 11/26/2017 at 9:45 AM, Misslindsey said:

I tend to avoid Hallmark movies that star Candace Cameron Bure, Jessica Lowndes, and Shenae Grimes Beech. I think I might have to add Alicia Witt and Danica McKeller in that mix.

who's left? just Lacey Chabert?

• Love 1

ON 11/26/2017 AT 9:45 AM, MISSLINDSEY SAID:

I tend to avoid Hallmark movies that star Candace Cameron Bure, Jessica Lowndes, and Shenae Grimes Beech. I think I might have to add Alicia Witt and Danica McKeller in that mix.

who's left? just Lacey Chabert?

How about....um...is her name Taylor?  She was in the diner movie with Andrew Walker, the ice sculpting one, and the art/art curator??? I"m too lazy to look her up.  

ETA - I know this is like asking the sun not to shine - but I'd appreciate at least a little cursory research on the dialog.  In Finding Santa, they're listening to a weather/traffic report and they talk about how 95 is closed from Hartford to Boston.  95 doesn't go through Hartford or anywhere near Worcester....if they were stuck in Worcester (and the C is silent), they would have been on 84 to 90 (Mass Pike).  

Also, I liked the Christmas Train, if only for the mostly-good acting.  I also have a soft spot for Dermot Mulroney and I liked that weren't people on the cusp of 30...angsting that they weren't married yet.  

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

How about....um...is her name Taylor?  She was in the diner movie with Andrew Walker, the ice sculpting one, and the art/art curator??? I"m too lazy to look her up.  

Taylor Cole. I like her okay. 

Speaking of Andrew Walker, why no holiday films starring him? He is a staple. 

I have just watched Coming Home for Christmas. I agree the sets were underwhelming / laughable. I liked the set up of house manager for a family selling an old estate. Yes, the heroine was throwing a party but in a slightly different context than usual. But it didn’t do much for me from there. And the elegant warm silver bells decor???? What part of that mandated plastic Christmas teddy bears as could be seen above the fireplace in one scene. They do a zillion such films. How does the production company not have a nearly endless assortment of Christmas decorations?

This afternoon I watched Nine Lives of Christmas and was just reminded how great it is compared to so many of these. The main character has an actual personality and the couple actually spend time in one another’s company, and their “conflict” is relatively understandable.  

I have not seen every one of this year’s crop, but so far the only one I might rewatch is Miss Christmas. I thought Marc Blucas brought some actual feeling to his role. His character had a range of emotions, not just dislikes the girl —> likes the girl.  

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Myrrhine said:

Speaking of Andrew Walker, why no holiday films starring him? He is a staple. 

He is in a Lifetime Christmas movie called Snowed-Inn Christmas with Bethany Joy Lenz.

I enjoyed A Joyous Christmas well enough. I thought the leads had chemistry. As soon as the male lead said he was adopted I knew Joy would end up being his bio mom. Though all these movies are predictable, so I can get over that. I did think the female lead's event at the end was laughable.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 2

I am a glutton for Christmas movies so I am thoroughly enjoying (that is to say completely bingeing) on the Countdown to Christmas! They're a mixed lot but overall a very nice, happy distraction.

I was happy that the leads in Misteltoe Inn could act.  I just find Alicia Witt’s mouth so distracting

ACK me too. Also I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I didn't like the male lead in that one either. I got zero chemistry between the two of them. But the story was cute.

Was happy to see a rerun of "Christmas Under Wraps," one of my favorites. I like this one and "A Gift to Remember" the best so far, largely because they have really appealing secondary characters. In too many of these, the supporting characters get short shrift and zero storyline. In "Gift to Remember" they were really nicely drawn, and two even had their own little romance subplot.  I also liked the way the relationship in "Gift" was developed,  it really worked. I loved it! 

They are unreilelalistic and goofy but I don’t care. I love the over the top Christmas themes and the dependable happy ending. There’s tons of Christmas decorations, instant best friends, a caring family, a h

andsome and available love interest, and a job or passion the lead is already invested in or stumbles onto. It’s a nice break from the grim-dark of a lot of TV these days and the real world as well.

Hear, hear ramble. I am delighted to have a source of happy, goofy lighthearted fare, especially at this time of year.  On a personal note, my best friend was widowed this year after 30 years of marriage, and the other day, she told me that the only thing that lifts her saddest moments  is watching a light, goofy, comedy with a guaranteed happy ending, the kind of thing she never watched or enjoyed much before. I think we all reach a point at certain times when we  need a little lifting up, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Other movies -- I thought Candice Cameron was actually cute in "Switched at Christmas," but the true star of that show was Happy the Dog...Happy the Dog and his fellow rescue buddy Happy the Cat are featured in the Yule Log this year, so that's a bonus!! 

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/11/switched-for-christmas-dog-happy-photos-hallmark/

Edited by Marsupial
clarification
  • Love 3

Time to catch up with my Hallmark thoughts. Now I need to look up a schedule so I can remember these generic names.

Finding Santa had had the "too focused on Christmasy things over story" issue that normally bugs me.  But I found that the movie went down like dessert that is surprisingly not too sweet.  So instead of just a few bites, I was able to consume the whole thing.  I'm not saying I'd ever be tempted to watch it again but I never felt the urge to give up and fast forward.  I liked both leads.

The Christmas Train didn't do much for me. I like the actors in it but I didn't see much chemistry between Kimberly Williams Paisley and Dermot Mulroney.  I like both actors but nada.  I kind of wanted to see what kind of chemistry Dermot and Joan Cusack could have created.  And they're actually only one year apart in age vs. DM being ten years older than KWP.  I don't usually have issues with age difference but hey...why not?  Well, I know why not.  It's based on a book so the story was pre-determined.  And count on me for hating the ending.

Switched for Christmas  I may have fast forwarded through parts of this one.  I don't remember.  I don't have the Candace hate that many here do but if it weren't for the clothing (and not even that at times) I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two sisters.  Their character biographical details may have been different (single mom vs just single) but nothing else about them was.  They should have either cast twins or a soap actress who can play twins in this role. 

A Joyous Christmas  I'm in the middle of this one.  Am I getting burnout?  Maybe.  I'm teetering.  I'm not sure if I'll finish this.  The leads are fine. It's not bad.  It's just there.  But I do love Bonnie Bedilia so I will probably keep going.

• Love 3

Yeah, i'm with you on A Joyous Christmas.

It's not good (the writing is a tad too obvious & heavy-handed to work, as far as themes, the forced family melodrama and the pseudo mystery re:Joy go ; it's still a bit on the cheap side - the final big event ; the romance is almost a rushed afterthought, with the lead switching from detached to lovesick schoolgirl in five minutes tops as soon as she sees whatsisname), it's not bad (nobody's acting is awful, it's overall competent), it's just... there, as you said. A bit on the bland side, not really Joyous, not really completely boring, just there.

Though the lead couldn't have made less on an impression on me, tbh.

• Love 2
On 11/26/2017 at 6:37 AM, VartanFan said:

Oh lordy that movie. I still can't believe I sat through that one. Count me in for Team Chainsaw.

As for A Joyous Christmas, I mentioned it in the other thread that I was enjoying it and it had some good parts, some slow parts, and I was with them right up until not once, but twice did the male lead jump to conclusions and angrily leave out the door. That doesn't give me much promise for their relationship if he'll keep doing that every time he thinks something isn't working out. I was hoping the lead chick would tell him so but alas, it wasn't to be. On the bright side, dude can belt! I'd love to see him on a Broadway show. He's got the pipes for it. I loved the scene with him and Bonnie at the piano.

Sorry to hear about your friend's passing and situation, Marsupial

There's definitely a need for these types of movies especially now with so much grimdark in the real world and in 'entertainment'. I certainly felt a void ever since Hwood gave up on the romcoms like we got in the 90s. Even the indies that used to put them out have gone straight to horror flicks, but the tv world has picked up the mantle and ran with it. I'm glad. I was just thinking when January comes, it's going to take me a while to adjust back to a time where there won't be new movies every weekend. This time of year always has me spoiled. Thank goodness for dvrs.

• Love 2

the awful fake snow spewing horizontally from the sides of the screen

heh.. That's what bugged me right off the bat in With Love, Christmas. The female lead is walking along-- snow blowing furiously-- but not one hair on her head moved. Nor did anyone else seem affected by the fierce winds blowing all that snow around. 

• Love 1

Hello there.  I don't think I've ever posted on this thread, but I have read the last several pages and took notes on the recommendations for the Hallmark holiday movies worth watching - so a big thank you to everyone who posted.

I have only watched two so far.  Naughty or Nice, which I watched last year and again the other night, and The Nine Lives of Christmas - both of which had positive reviews in this thread.  I totally agree with the praise for these two movies.

Naughty or Nice - I loved the lead actress and all the supporting characters.  The boyfriend and the best friend at the mall (Marco?) were great too and it was nice to see Mr. and Mrs. Keaton again.  This was such a wonderful feel-good film, and I loved the magical aspects and the way everything was resolved.  So fun!

The Nine Lives of Christmas - I had my doubts about Brandon Routh but he ended up being good in this role.  Kimberly Sustad was a wonderful lead - so appealing and charming - and she had great chemistry with Brandon.  I appreciated the way their relationship developed over time.  It was very believable and satisfying to watch.  ETA: I also particularly enjoyed Gregory Harrison as the fire chief and the rest of the guys at the station, and also Marilee's relationship with her sister.

These are definitely on my new favorite list.  

I think I also recorded The Most Wonderful Time of the Year; Snow Bride; A Very Merry Mixup; and Tis the Season for Love (because I loved Sarah Lancaster in the television show Chuck) but I haven't gotten around to watching them yet.   I'm running out of space on my DVR.

Other Hallmark Christmas movies that I'm hoping to catch:

A Crown for Christmas (which seems to be an audience favorite);

Trading Christmas; 

A Song for Christmas;

Bramble House Christmas;

Mistletoe Inn;

and Love at the Thanksgiving Parade.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Tis the Season for Love (because I loved Sarah Lancaster in the television show Chuck) but I haven't gotten around to watching them yet.   I'm running out of space on my DVR.

Hiya AnnaRose! Welcome! That's a fab list. I think you'll have a blast watching those goodies.

If you like Sarah Lancaster, definitely check her out in Fir Crazy. It has a great story, some snappy dialogue, and funny moments and Sarah is great as the lead.

Edited by MissyPoo
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, MissyPoo said:

Hiya AnnaRose! Welcome! That's a fab list. I think you'll have a blast watching those goodies.

If you like Sarah Lancaster, definitely check her out in Fir Crazy. It has a great story, some snappy dialogue, and funny moments and Sarah is great as the lead.

Thanks MissyPoo!  I'll look for that one.

I made a mistake and failed to record A Very Merry Mixup, and instead ended up recording I'm Not Ready for Christmas with Alicia Witt as a lying, manipulative ad exec. I ended up deleting that one after 20 or 30 minutes.  I didn't like the actress, character or storyline in that one, (although it may have gotten better if I'd given it a chance,) and I have too many other promising movies to watch to waste time on one that didn't seem very appealing.

My one general complaint about these movies is that the background score can sometimes be too loud and just too overbearing so that it becomes very distracting. 

The other night, before I recorded these better movies, I watched a little bit of Finding Santa and couldn't get into that one either.  It just seemed so silly that the heroine couldn't find anyone who could wear a Santa suit and play Santa for a parade or whatever it was, other than stalking a guy in another town as if he was her only hope.

So far, I think I prefer Christmas movies with a little bit of a magical aspect, like Naughty or Nice; or movies that are just set around Christmas time with Christmas activities - like Nine Lives of Christmas or even Tis the Season for Love, which had a Christmas festival aspect, but it wasn't like the main character or whole town revolved around Christmas.

• Love 1

Hmm...so, @AnnaRose you like movies with a magical aspect, but didn't like Alicia Witt's I'm Not Ready for Christmas? So, maybe it's really just not liking Alicia much in these, which is understandable and you're not the only one who holds that opinion. Maybe not the worst thing that you missed A Very Merry Mixup, though I'd say that's one of the better ones she's made, just still not my favorite.

Other possibilities to add are Mrs. Miracle with James Van Der Beek and Erin Karpluk, and both Family for Christmas and Matchmaker Santa with Lacey Chabert and A Dream for Christmas with Nikki Deloach and Andrew Walker for their magical aspects. And add My Christmas Love with Meredith Hagner and Gregory Harrison and On the Twelfth Day of Christmas with Robin Dunne for their Christmas related activities. A non-Hallmark one to keep an eye on is A Christmas Wedding Date with Marla Sokoloff and Chris Carmack which would fit into the first category as well. It's most likely to air on Lifetime at this point (it was on there a week ago), but could also air on ION, where it originally premiered.

• Love 1