Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: The Big Guns

Claire is furious about neighbors Ronnie and Amber’s eye-sore of a boat on their front lawn and it soon becomes an all-out war when Phil calls in the “big guns” as back up -- his dad Frank and all his retired friends to give them a taste of their own medicine. Elsewhere, Jay is trying to potty train Joe but Gloria does not think he’s ready yet, and Cam secretly takes Lily to clown school behind Mitchell’s back.

Lisbo........ :-(

Did not laugh once

Did not even smile

What is going on with this show?

I dIdn't either. It was all bad. I didn't think I'd like the neighbors and I don't. I've never liked Fizbo either and I hate the way Cam always tries to make a big deal out of clowning.

There was one good thing...seeing Manny knocked down a few pegs. I'm probably GTHIAH but I enjoyed seeing him realize he's just normal and not a special little snowflake.

• Love 4

I'm angry at Lily for sparing Cameron's feelings.

If he wasn't such a man-baby, he would have realized that he was putting Lily in a terrible situation, where if she didn't like clowning she'd have to either lie or break his heart.

I would love it if it became a running gag that she still keeps hitting him with things, every chance she gets.

• Love 3

I laughed pretty hard when Claire & Phil called the boat tacky and the neighbor wife said "whoa whoa whoa, it has four aces on the side of it". Also enjoyed Cam getting punched in the face and falling down. Now if we can get Lisbo to go after Manny next...

Edited by AndreaK1041
  • Love 1

I was toggling back and forth between thinking the extreme parallels with Lilly wanting to quit clowning and Luke wanting to quit magic were a call back, a universal theme of parents being disappointed their kids aren't interested in what they are, or lazy writing.  I think a season or two ago, I'd go with option 1 or 2, but now not so much.  It's like the writers are going out of their way to Flanderize every single character.

Lisbo........ :-(

Did not laugh once

Did not even smile

What is going on with this show?

Good question.   There was absolutely no interaction between the families - it's like they are filming 3 separate shows.  I wonder if the cast even all show up on the same day.

Lily didn't bug me as much as she usually does, though, maybe because, like Mitch, I enjoyed seeing her smack Cam.  The other moment I enjoyed was Jay asking for diapers, although I saw it coming as soon as he asked.

Claire - as annoying as always. 

It all seems so forced now.  

• Love 1

The only enjoyable part of this episode was Lisbo attacking Fizbo.  That's the only time I have ever laughed when Fizbo has been in a scene.  I hope we are done with the whole Cam/Fizbo thing for a long while now. 

• Love 1

That's the only time I have ever laughed when Fizbo has been in a scene.  I hope we are done with the whole Cam/Fizbo thing for a long while now.

The original appearance of Fizbo back in Season 1 was a hysterical episode-Fizbo wasn't all that funny, but the episode was great, with many memorable lines at Luke's birthday party. Since then, Cam as Fizbo has been weak and I agree that it can only be taken in small doses.

On the other hand, Eric Stonestreet is a very good physical comedian and his movements in this episode (peering around corners, opening cabinets etc..)were the funniest parts of the episode.

• Love 3

There is no way in the neighborhood Phil/Claire live (that house they live in is worth well over a million, I think 2 million, in reality) in that thing would be allowed, I am sure they have a neighborhood association with strict rules about size of possible boats, and RVs, allowed. 

I could overlook that if not for the fact Phil is a realtor and would know these rules well, for his and other neighborhoods. 

• Love 3

I agree with you about Stonestreet being very funny as he tried to avoid Lily. 

The rest of the ep was pretty bad. One of the worst. The stuff betw Luke and the girl next door was awful. Lily hitting Cam wasn't funny. Mitchell enjoying it wasn't funny. Jay wanting to potty-train Joe was boring. The stuff with the boat was dull. I still like the neighbors because I think Steve Zahn and Andrea Anders are so good.

I couldn't wait to watch Black-ish as a palate cleanser, but that was a bit of a letdown too.

• Love 2

I agree with you about Stonestreet being very funny as he tried to avoid Lily. 

The rest of the ep was pretty bad. One of the worst. The stuff betw Luke and the girl next door was awful. Lily hitting Cam wasn't funny. Mitchell enjoying it wasn't funny. Jay wanting to potty-train Joe was boring. The stuff with the boat was dull. I still like the neighbors because I think Steve Zahn and Andrea Anders are so good.

I couldn't wait to watch Black-ish as a palate cleanser, but that was a bit of a letdown too.

Didn't like Luke and the next door girl at all. It was pretty bad and acted horribly. Lily's stuff got really out of control after a while and it takes Lily almost hitting Mitchell for him to realize it isn't funny anymore. I really have had it with Fizbo. The first season and the funeral last year worked well and Stonestreet is great at physical comedy but it comes off as not only annoying but that Cam really needs to put that part of his life behind him. I mean taking Lily to a junior clown college was way too much even for him. Also, there is no way the boat could have been there that long. I know they wanted the joke with the cop coming over and seeing all of this and then issuing the tickets but really, we are to believe that after almost a month. No routine neighborhood police wouldn't have seen that and reported it and if it was shown there at next patrol not be ticketed? Plus, they really would have to park it right to the edge to get that far into Phil and Claire's driveway. 

I'm also sick of the Hailey has to go to a party when there is one. She never learns and at this point, Phil and Claire should be: "You have a job, you don't want to go to school again, work on getting your own place. You have six months and then we toss your crap out the window!" As for Manny, I was getting upset with him saying how he spoke 3 languages when he was Joe's age and yet he can't speak Spanish. Then it's revealed that Gloria has been telling him everything since day 1. Like in season 1-2 how they wouldn't talk about Manny's real father deciding to ignore Manny and Jay and her protected him. Yet, now she realizes, Manny needs to grow up and get going and that requires shattering the snowflake. I was so happy Manny got taken down so many pegs. 

Luke's attitude toward the girl next door is what leads to mass shootings. I cringed at that whole subplot. Spying on girls is wrong and isn't funny. I did cheer when she called him out on it and said she wasn't interested, but groaned loudly at her sudden interest in the end. Respect towards women will never change until the mass media stops reinforcing the idea that women are pliable objects, with whom men can get out of the "friendzone" if they just try hard enough. I don't care how old Luke is. I wish feminist Alex would've knocked him upside the head rather than coached him on how to play "hard to get." If the girl next door (who has a name, I hope -- I just forgot it) ends up falling for Luke...UGH. Bad show, bad!

And yes, it's a typical sitcom plot -- and that's a problem, to me in this day and age. Objectifying women isn't funny and never will be.

• Love 9

The subplot with Luke didn't bother me - that's a typical teenage thing to do. She was out in the open; it's not like she was in her room or even her back yard and he was spying on her with a telescope or camera.

I thought Lily was hilarious - the slapstick was over the top, but it IS a comedy. When she hit him with that "extension fist" I almost fell off my couch! 

• Love 8

The subplot with Luke didn't bother me - that's a typical teenage thing to do. She was out in the open; it's not like she was in her room or even her back yard and he was spying on her with a telescope or camera.

I thought Lily was hilarious - the slapstick was over the top, but it IS a comedy. When she hit him with that "extension fist" I almost fell off my couch! 

I was actually happy that Cam got hit with the extension fist. I didn't have a problem with Luke and the next door neighbor girl because like Alex. Luke has no idea how to do that and yes it was in the open and that make it more plausible but Gould really isn't even trying anymore. Luke's lines were just so stale the only thing that worked was ignoring her getting the paper and when she called him a loser when she hasn't even been with a guy. His "WTF" face was spot on.

• Love 2

That's the problem -- it is the "typical" teenage thing to do, and it's wrong. Ogling women of any age isn't funny or interesting, and I wish the show, which sometimes pats itself on the back for being so progressive, would realize that and not reinforce those terrible teenage stereotypes. It's not like Luke said before he started spying, "I'm going to watch you from my window" and she said "Fine, knock yourself out." The point was Luke wanted to do it without her knowing and she had to call him out on it. Then he basically said he wouldn't stop even when she told him she knew he was doing it. "Spying on the pretty girl from afar" falls under the "boys will be boys" mantra that reinforces women as the exotic, mysterious "other" instead of an actual person with thoughts and feelings.

I'm not saying Modern Family shapes national discussion, but if it has that opportunity and chooses (lazily) to be part of the problem, I'd rather it just not do the story. And the poster above is right that Gould really phoned it in -- which didn't help (though maybe he didn't like the story either).

• Love 2

Personally, my issue isn't that he was violating her rights by looking. It's with the idea that the key to a girl's heart is to make her think you no longer find her attractive. And that when a girl tells a guy to stop looking, what she really means is "if you stop looking it will damage my self-esteem."

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 8

I think I've watched maybe three episodes of Modern Family ever, so I'm not exactly an expert, but I caught this at the gym last night. While I smiled a few times (Hayley's coming out with a bag of Doritos to party was the only thing that came close to a chuckle), I kind of found myself wondering how this show was going so far off the rails. It just seems like each character is now a caricature of what initially made them interesting.

It was just sad.

• Love 2

I think I've watched maybe three episodes of Modern Family ever, so I'm not exactly an expert, but I caught this at the gym last night. While I smiled a few times (Hayley's coming out with a bag of Doritos to party was the only thing that came close to a chuckle), I kind of found myself wondering how this show was going so far off the rails. It just seems like each character is now a caricature of what initially made them interesting.

It was just sad.

Oh exactly forget the Duphies but Cam has gone from all about me to: "Look at all this stuff I use to do." "The good old days and my daughter has to do it too." Michell has become very "its funny when Cam gets hurt and Lily must not do what Cam does by any means possible." Same goes with Manny and now they have him being ahead of his years one moment and then the moron who can't understand his own language the next but still believes he spoke 3 languages before he could use the bathroom by himself. At least everything Jay made sense but picking up Joe when he was still in the middle of using the bathroom. Umm... hello?

• Love 1

The other moment I enjoyed was Jay asking for diapers, although I saw it coming as soon as he asked.

That plot was done on The Middle many seasons ago....and done way funnier.

What happened to this show? The acting, except for maybe Phil and his dad, seems like they're reading off cue-cards for the first time. I can almost smell the Sharpie ink through the TV.

• Love 3

That's the problem -- it is the "typical" teenage thing to do, and it's wrong. Ogling women of any age isn't funny or interesting, and I wish the show, which sometimes pats itself on the back for being so progressive, would realize that and not reinforce those terrible teenage stereotypes. It's not like Luke said before he started spying, "I'm going to watch you from my window" and she said "Fine, knock yourself out." The point was Luke wanted to do it without her knowing and she had to call him out on it. Then he basically said he wouldn't stop even when she told him she knew he was doing it. "Spying on the pretty girl from afar" falls under the "boys will be boys" mantra that reinforces women as the exotic, mysterious "other" instead of an actual person with thoughts and feelings.

I'm not saying Modern Family shapes national discussion, but if it has that opportunity and chooses (lazily) to be part of the problem, I'd rather it just not do the story. And the poster above is right that Gould really phoned it in -- which didn't help (though maybe he didn't like the story either).

She seemed well aware Luke was staring at her because she is the one that brought it up, yet she kept going out there and laying out in the same spot.  It was right outside his window.  Not like he was going out of his way to do it.  If he was sneaking up on her or crossing into their yard or looking through a peephole I could see your point.  But she was laying right out in front of his window, she seemed well aware he kept looking at her and made no effort to avoid being seen.  it was a bad plot and a boring one but not a particularly offensive one in my opinion. 

• Love 8

What has happened to this show? is it just this board or does everyone realize how the quality has deteriorated? How are the ratings?

i loved "The Day We Almost Died." I very much didn't love "The Big Guns." Can we say "uneven"?

Is this show deliberately trying to be bad? Is it some elaborate scheme to get out of (yet) another Emmy nomination and win? I have no idea what's going on.

Nolan Gould is practically unintelligible. Haley's vacuousness is just grating at this point. Cam is a man-baby. And Fitbo has never ever been funny to me and I wish they'd stop trotting him out as some kind of witty joke. 

• Love 2

I have no issue with Luke looking at the neighbour girl while she sunbathes right under his window. It was deliberate, she knew it and he knew it. Looking at the opposite sex is not bad.

I thought the neighbour couple was the funniest ones in this ep. As for the boat being there that long, usually cops or bylaw officers don't go looking for infractions; they deal with them on a complaint basis. Since the Dunphys were the only ones directly bothered by the boat and didn't initially complain, it stayed. As soon as Claire made an official complaint, the cops showed up. Made sense to me.

I hate that everything Cam likes Mitchell hates. What attracted him to Cam exactly? While I don't care for clowns, some people do and it's a valid thing. Cam enjoys it and I don't see why Mitchell has to forbid it, gawd. He also mocks his rural-ness, which is a big part of making Cam the guy he is. As demanding and preeny as Cam is, Mitchell chose a clown from the farm, and yet now he hates both of those things so much. Ugh. Those two have no chemistry.

Haley is tiresome.

• Love 8

I hate that everything Cam likes Mitchell hates. What attracted him to Cam exactly? While I don't care for clowns, some people do and it's a valid thing. Cam enjoys it and I don't see why Mitchell has to forbid it, gawd. He also mocks his rural-ness, which is a big part of making Cam the guy he is. As demanding and preeny as Cam is, Mitchell chose a clown from the farm, and yet now he hates both of those things so much. Ugh. Those two have no chemistry.

And in a recent episode (I think it was the one where the TV reporter is doing a story on Cameron being an openly gay football coach), we learned that Cameron knows absolutely nothing about what Mitchell does for a living.

Their relationship makes zero sense.

A lot of times a cynical person and an exuberant person can make for a good match - like Phil and Claire, for example. But they've gone so absurdly overboard with Mitch and Cam.

I can't tell if it's a matter of the writers being lazy (in that it's easy to come up with conflicts for two people who hate each other) - or if it's because they think that mainstream audiences will be more comfortable watching a gay couple if both partners seem like asexual roommates who aren't attracted to each other.

• Love 3

A lot of times a cynical person and an exuberant person can make for a good match - like Phil and Claire, for example. But they've gone so absurdly overboard with Mitch and Cam.

I can't tell if it's a matter of the writers being lazy (in that it's easy to come up with conflicts for two people who hate each other) - or if it's because they think that mainstream audiences will be more comfortable watching a gay couple if both partners seem like asexual roommates who aren't attracted to each other.

That's a good contrast in the first paragraph because they do show Claire and Phil being physically attracted to each other.

And I think that answers your question in the second paragraph. Here's a related thought experiment, they did an episode where the Dunphy kids accidentally walked in on Claire and Phil being intimate, and (mostly) played it for laughs. Do you think they would ever do a scene like that with Lily walking in on Mitch and Cam? Not in a million years.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 3

I have no issue with Luke looking at the neighbour girl while she sunbathes right under his window. It was deliberate, she knew it and he knew it. Looking at the opposite sex is not bad.

I thought the neighbour couple was the funniest ones in this ep. As for the boat being there that long, usually cops or bylaw officers don't go looking for infractions; they deal with them on a complaint basis. Since the Dunphys were the only ones directly bothered by the boat and didn't initially complain, it stayed. As soon as Claire made an official complaint, the cops showed up. Made sense to me.

Haley is tiresome.

Cops don't go looking for infractions, but many Homeowners associations actually do, especially if they are obvious.  Plus in the neighborhood they live in, I can't imagine someone else not complaining besides Claire with that boat out in the driveway. 

its a TV show though, I realize that.  Can't expect 100% accuracy, just overlook it for the story.  The problem was the story was pretty mediocre as well

• Love 2

I could not possibly agree more. These two make less and less sense and worse yet, these differences appear to make it difficult for their child to function-I get that opposites attract but these 2 are sooooo opposite that it affects Lily.

• Love 4

I'm angry at Lily for sparing Cameron's feelings.

Cam saw Mitchell talking to Lily right before Lily says she wanted to quit clowning. If Lily had told Cam the real reason for quitting, Cam would have blamed Mitchell for "making" Lily feel that way.  Cam was already blaming Mitchell for Lily's slapstick antics, and he blames Mitchell for most everything else that doesn't go his way (it is often deserved). Then Cam would have gotten all hyper-sensitive and whiney.   So, given the two options - Cam fights with Mitchell then storms off crying or Lily spares Cam's feelings, I think they chose the right one.

However, they only had those two options because they had Mitchell talking to Lily as Cam walked in.  I think it would have been better if Cam would have told Lily that she has to stop hitting him and she would have told him that they hits him because she was hoping he would make her stop clowning. This may have opened Cam's eyes to what he was doing and how his behavior makes it  difficult for anyone to be truthful with him.  Of course, this scenario would not be funny at all.

The other moment I enjoyed was Jay asking for diapers, although I saw it coming as soon as he asked.

I thought the joke was going to be that there are so many diaper options now, plus Jay would have to have some idea of how much Joe weighs (I have recently bought diapers for my grandbaby and found that diaper choicess have changed a lot since my kids wore them).  There would be so many details that Jay would rather potty train than deal with the decisions.  So adult diapers took me by surprise. 

Watched  some of the older episodes last night and was reminded about how funny this show used to be.

I wonder if at least part of the problem is that the kids are grown.   Haley's out of high school, Luke and Manny are in high school. I used to love the chemistry between young Luke and Phil - I don't see that anymore.  And in the most recent episode when Luke and Phil were talking about their movie ideas (Just the Fax Mam or whatever it was) - I think that would have been funny when Luke was 8, not so much now that he's a teen.   And there used to be some funny stuff about Luke (and Manny to some extent) being jealous of the attention Lily got.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that now that the kids are older, the dynamics have changed.  Not sure if the show can find its footing or not but interaction between the families again would help.

That plot was done on The Middle many seasons ago....and done way funnier.

Actually, IIRC, the older man asking for diapers and being directed to adult diapers was a story that Harrison Ford told about 10 years ago, when he was trying to buy supplies for Calista Flockhart's baby. 

I agree with everyone about Cam and Mitchell's relationship. At this point, it really doesn't seem like these are men in love with each other. 

• Love 1

The subplot with Luke didn't bother me - that's a typical teenage thing to do. She was out in the open; it's not like she was in her room or even her back yard and he was spying on her with a telescope or camera .

We had this problem in jr high, except it was binoculars and it was girls spying on my son. Whenever he stepped into our backyard, you'd hear a lot of yelling at the end of the street and then a bunch of girls in bikinis would show up.

Eta: he was still young enough to be annoyed by it.

Edited by EVS

Cam saw Mitchell talking to Lily right before Lily says she wanted to quit clowning. If Lily had told Cam the real reason for quitting, Cam would have blamed Mitchell for "making" Lily feel that way.  Cam was already blaming Mitchell for Lily's slapstick antics, and he blames Mitchell for most everything else that doesn't go his way (it is often deserved). Then Cam would have gotten all hyper-sensitive and whiney.   So, given the two options - Cam fights with Mitchell then storms off crying or Lily spares Cam's feelings, I think they chose the right one.

However, they only had those two options because they had Mitchell talking to Lily as Cam walked in.

Oh, I think Cameron would have found a way to claim it was Mitchell's fault no matter what.

Actually, IIRC, the older man asking for diapers and being directed to adult diapers was a story that Harrison Ford told about 10 years ago, when he was trying to buy supplies for Calista Flockhart's baby.

I suspect it's happened to a lot of older parents - but when another show (that airs on the same night as yours, on the same network) has done the same gag, you should probably try to at least put a different spin on it.

Edited by Blakeston

As mentioned above, if neighbor girl did not want attention why sun herself in a tiny bikini on a boat in the front of the house?

Because people on the ground probably can't see into a boat? Because it's a hot day? Because she wanted a tan? Because she just felt like it?

Why does a girl have to be "seeking attention" if it means being in a bikini on a hot ass, sunny day?

• Love 3

I think it's just that if a "hot" teenage girl is sunning herself in the open in a bikini, straight teenage boys are going to stare at her if possible. It's nature, it's life.Just like if a "hot" teenage boy is tanning himself on a hot summer day, straight teenage girls would be doing the same thing. 

• Love 3

Why does a girl have to be "seeking attention" if it means being in a bikini on a hot ass, sunny day?

Wasn't the point that she continued doing it even when she knew that Luke was oogling her? If I catch some kid staring at me through a window while I'm getting undressed and then continue to undress in front of the open window every night, doesn't that suggest that I'm okay with the oogling (at minimum)?

• Love 2

Because people on the ground probably can't see into a boat? Because it's a hot day? Because she wanted a tan? Because she just felt like it?

Why does a teenage boy have to look away from an attractive girl laying out in a bikini right outside his window?

• Love 1

Because she was looking for attention, within the context of the show it was pretty obvious. If someone is in public, people will look at them for various reasons, whether they are pretty or ugly or odd looking, maybe they like their hair or coat, or maybe they think they look like someone they know. Doesn't matter the reason, if you're in public, you might be looked at. Of you're an attractive young woman and wearing a bikini in public view (and while it was not public for all of society, it was public for Luke and she knew it), so she's fair game to look at. It's not abusive or exploitive to look at attractive people.

• Love 2

I hate that everything Cam likes Mitchell hates. 

Yes, this.  His objection to Lily being a clown was that Cam liked it.  And his "Oh, woe is me" over confetti on a hardwood floor (it just sweeps up) was exasperating.

The only fun part about that plot was Lily's "Wah wah!" every time she hit Cam.

• Love 1

Yes, this.  His objection to Lily being a clown was that Cam liked it.  And his "Oh, woe is me" over confetti on a hardwood floor (it just sweeps up) was exasperating.

The only fun part about that plot was Lily's "Wah wah!" every time she hit Cam.

That's exactly it but what really drives me nuts is that Cam dwells so much on these small things about how being a clown and that made his life so great during dark days. However, he is now a teacher again, had a perfect season, won a championship and so forth. Yet, he still acts like being a clown was the second coming at times. It also drives me crazy that Cam has no idea how Mitchell's job works, especially when he told Mitch he needed to get a new job because he hated his old one. These two don't come off as a happy couple, they come off as two bitter, oblivious people who either don't care or find the small things to hate about their other half. That's not funny, that's extremely sad. Lily's motivation for hurting Cam because she was hoping he finally get the picture and tell her: "I don't want you to be a clown!" "Please stop, I think my shoulder is dislocated." Yet he just went: "That's ok honey, you're great, now excuse me I need to stick up my exposed fracture here." 

Lily's motivation for hurting Cam because she was hoping he finally get the picture and tell her: "I don't want you to be a clown!"

Why would he say that though? He doesn't know that she doesn't want to be a clown. All he knows is that Mitchell doesn't want her to be a clown.  They said they wanted her to make her own decision, but I don't think she did; she just figured out which daddy to let down.

Why would he say that though? He doesn't know that she doesn't want to be a clown. All he knows is that Mitchell doesn't want her to be a clown.  They said they wanted her to make her own decision, but I don't think she did; she just figured out which daddy to let down.

The problem was that this was Lily's thought process and Cam couldn't just tell her to stop this because it was hurting him and this isn't what you do as a clown. Its suppose to be pretend hurting not real hurting but Cam just kept letting her do it because he was like: "She's found her nitch."